Stupid: Hillary circulating photo of Obama in Somali dress; Update: “The most shameful, offensive fear-mongering”

posted at 9:23 am on February 25, 2008 by Allahpundit

Robert Spencer finds an historical analog to put the stupidity in context. We knew the meltdown was coming, but who thought it’d be this lame? If she’s desperate for a line of attack, she could tack right, hit him on his C-in-C credentials or “I’ll negotiate with anyone” policy, and pray that independents get squeamish. Instead she’s going with stuff that’s not only desperate but ineffective. We can’t elect Obama because … he stole a few lines from Deval Patrick and once wore a turban? Really?

One fair point here, though:

“Wouldn’t we be seeing this on the cover of every magazine if it were HRC?” questioned one campaign staffer, in an email obtained by the DRUDGE REPORT.

Indeed. Go watch that SNL clip of the Hillary/Obama debate to have the difference explained.

At this point I half-expect her to accuse him of being a Muslim at the debate tomorrow night. Exit question: Time to take a second look at Team Hillary’s culpability in this, maybe?

Update: Who’s going to stage the intervention and tell Hillary it’s over, wonders Novak. I’m guessing Bill — although who’s going to stage the intervention and tell Bill it’s over? Meanwhile, Halperin ticks off the reasons why McCain won’t have to resort to submoronic attacks about “plagiarism” to score points on Obama. Hillary’s problem has always been how similar she and the Messiah are on policy; with no substantive differences to swing voters her way, they’re left to choose on the basis of personality and political skill. That’s where her advisors screwed up — thinking that with policy arguments off the table that Democrats would resort to the safe, inevitable, established choice. Not this year, with this guy this good on the stump.

Update: Will Her Majesty dare mention the uncoveted Farrakhan endorsement tomorrow?

Update: Michael Steele’s on Fox News right now saying that if she’s really pushing crap like this, she’s all kinds of finished.

Update: Jonathan Alter says Hillary should get out now, before Texas and Ohio. Er, why?

Update: A weird sidenote: What’s Drudge doing helping to publicize this story? By his own admission, he “needs” Hillary Clinton. Making a spectacle of her desperation ain’t going to improve her chances.

Update: Obama rubs her face in it:

“On the very day that Senator Clinton is giving a speech about restoring respect for America in the world, her campaign has engaged in the most shameful, offensive fear-mongering we’ve seen from either party in this election. This is part of a disturbing pattern that led her county chairs to resign in Iowa, her campaign chairman to resign in New Hampshire, and it’s exactly the kind of divisive politics that turns away Americans of all parties and diminishes respect for America in the world,” said Obama campaign manager David Plouffe.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

This is the “Information Age”. If Obama doesn’t want a picture of him dressing up (or down) then he shouldn’t have done it.

TooTall on February 25, 2008 at 12:36 PM

baldilocks on February 25, 2008 at 11:01 AM

What concerns me about Obama’s 2006 visit to Kenya are the suggestions that he actively campaigned for Odinga. Here’s a 2006 report, including video and photos of Obama at Odinga’s side.

It is one thing for him to criticize corruption in the Kenyan government and the burning of the Standard Newspapers, but he seems to have gone beyond neutral criticism and crossed a line with Odinga.

I am looking for clarification as to what exactly he did and said on Odinga’s behalf.

Here’s more on the topic.

Buy Danish on February 25, 2008 at 12:45 PM

Isn’t traditional Somali dress the same as Muslim dress? Aren’t 99.99% of Somalis Muslims?

Question of the campaign:
Why would Obama forbid the press to go with him to Wajir and then don Muslim attire?

faraway on February 25, 2008 at 12:51 PM

Are their similar pictures of Winston Churchill wearing Nazi garb?

Any pictures of Ronald Reagan wearing Soviet garb?

Are we at war or not?

faraway on February 25, 2008 at 12:57 PM

haha! someone needs to ask Hillary during a debate if she plans on wearing one of those ridiculous looking burkas on her head (as president) when she visits middle-eastern countries.

jjcarrillo on February 25, 2008 at 1:10 PM

Why does that concern you? I’m asking seriously. He is Odinga’s second cousin and unless there’s some evidence that Obama knew in advance to Odinga was going to “contest” the December 2007 election, I’m not sure why that’s a problem.

(I’ve been blogging about the Kenya stuff nearly every day for almost two months and this stuff is far more complicated than many American observers are making it out to be.)

baldilocks on February 25, 2008 at 1:10 PM

If anyone here is good at photoshop, I’d love to see that same picture with Obama holding an ak-47 instead of a walking stick.lol

THE CHOSEN ONE on February 25, 2008 at 1:17 PM

baldilocks,
What are Obama’s views on Odinga signing a pledge to implement Sharia law in Kenya after the election?

What are Obama’s views on Odinga’s party promoting violence after losing an election? Hundreds of people lost their lives.

Why would Obama don Muslim attire in Kenya?

Would the troops involved in Blackhawk Down wear this same gear? What message was Obama trying to send to these troops?

faraway on February 25, 2008 at 1:18 PM

Hail to the (tribal) Chief!!

stefanite on February 25, 2008 at 1:18 PM

You need to learn to spell if your going to bless someone out. It looks more “intelligent” that way.

kcd on February 25, 2008 at 12:04 PM

It’s pretty hard to look intelligent when you aren’t !

OBX Pete on February 25, 2008 at 1:24 PM

GTFO troll

Hiney Von Pewps on February 25, 2008 at 10:35 AM

GFYS

OBX Pete on February 25, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Also disingenuous, as Obama so quickly sought to dispel rumors he was Muslim when they first came out. I happened upon an Islamic blog post last night where the writer spoke about how perfect a candidate Obama is for Muslims, but that he doesn’t want them to overtly support him because it wouldn’t look good. I can’t find it now or I’d post the link. Guy’s first name was Farid or something similar.

Connie on February 25, 2008 at 1:47 PM

But, if I whack the goose with this stick, it seems to lay golden eggs a bit faster.

Maybe if I whack it really hard it’ll lay even faster still.

*WHACK*

Oh, that’s what that saying means. Damn. Well, anyone have a recipe for Roast Goose?

gekkobear on February 25, 2008 at 1:59 PM

Here is the article I mentioned a couple of posts upthread.

The American Muslim Community’s “Obama” Problem

Connie on February 25, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Over 1000. And hundreds of thousands of refugees, my biological father being one.

Here’s an Obama editorial in Kenya’s Daily Nation from last month (one might need a login; excerpts here also).

I wonder how much Obama should even be talking in public about that stuff. After all the situation is an ongoing State Department issue. Didn’t we slam Pelosi for straying from her lane by visiting to Assad?

BTW, It was reported (last month) that BHO got State’s permission before talking to Odinga

baldilocks on February 25, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Oops. Excerpt here.

baldilocks on February 25, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Oscar DeLaHoya didn’t like it when the photos of him dressed in gitls underpants were pulished either, but hey, if you’re skeered of getting busted then don’t dress up like a broad or Osama bin Laden.

Alden Pyle on February 25, 2008 at 2:44 PM

heh, gitls (?) = gitls.

Alden Pyle on February 25, 2008 at 2:45 PM

baldilocks on February 25, 2008 at 1:10 PM

I’m serious too, that’s why I’m asking you.

It concerns me on a number of levels, primarily because I don’t believe it is appropriate for a United States Senator to be campaigning in support of a foreign candidate, unless it is official U.S. policy to be backing someone.

Moreover, Odinga strikes me as being someone who would not be working in our best interests, not to mention the best interests of Kenya. My understanding is that he’s a Communist and wanted Sharia Law implemented. Is that true or not?

Buy Danish on February 25, 2008 at 2:48 PM

baldilocks on February 25, 2008 at 1:10 PM

One more thing – I see that you say that he got permission from State to “talk” to Odinga. Did that include promoting his campaign just because he’s his cousin?

Buy Danish on February 25, 2008 at 3:10 PM

I don’t understand what you’re asking. He’s Odinga’s cousin as has been pointed out many times. He supported Odinga back in 2006. I know of nothing that says that he knew of what Odinga had planned ahead of time.

baldilocks on February 25, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Buy Danish on February 25, 2008 at 3:10 PM

I doubt it. What are you referring to?

baldilocks on February 25, 2008 at 3:14 PM

Buy Danish on February 25, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Um, yes. I’ve also pointed this out several times. As a result, I even got called a fantasist and an Islam-apologist for my trouble by that BlackBird guy who posts here. Now it’s all “common knowledge.”

I don’t mean to take this out on you. But just today I got called a “black female racist muslem” in my comments for correcting disinformation about Kenya. It’s wearing me down.

baldilocks on February 25, 2008 at 3:19 PM

So, now you have to wear “American” clothes 100% of the time, otherwise you can’t be President.

Nice folks…

PresidenToor on February 25, 2008 at 3:19 PM

baldilocks on February 25, 2008 at 3:13 PM

I know all that. He has a lot of cousins! Is he going to support all of them just because they are related and from the same tribe?

I don’t understand why he is sticking his nose in Kenyan elections. I see this as a legitimate issue to go after him over. Whether or not he knew what was going to happen after the fact is irrelevant to me.

Did Obama not know that he’s a Communist? What the hell is a U.S. Senator doing promoting a Communists election?

Buy Danish on February 25, 2008 at 3:35 PM

Wait a minute here.

Many people here raked Pelosi and other Democrats over the coals for wearing the head coverings when visiting the Middle East. Now the Obamassiah is wearing full Muslim garb and that’s just peachy keen?

Talk about flip-floppers!

SilverStar830 on February 25, 2008 at 3:44 PM

One thought I had was that this picture deal shows her contempt for the average American. Was she thinking, “Hey, the average American is so racist and anti-muslim, I`ll show them this picture!”

ThePrez on February 25, 2008 at 3:50 PM

“Spengler” at the Asia Times nails Obama. Obama really *does* hate America.

Let’s review: his wife is only proud of America (now, after Obama is in the lead for the Dem nomination) after a life most Americans would kill for. He refuses to say the Pledge of Allegiance or act respectful during the National Anthem (plenty of pics have him slouching down, ticked off). He refuses to wear a flag lapel pin. He’s endorsed by Farrakhan as the “world’s choice” for President. He hangs out by his own choice with anti-American terrorist radicals. He endorses his cousin’s plan for Sharia in Kenya [silence=agreement]. He plans a “Muslim Summit” and “World Apology Tour for America” and plans to meet Fidel and Raul Castro, Ahmadnutjob to apologize for America.

Obama really does hate America. It shows. McCain ought to run ads every day pointing that out.

whiskey_199 on February 25, 2008 at 4:18 PM

I’ll add that using that photo is entirely legitimate. It illustrates like Dukakis in a tank that Obama will reflexively adopt anti-American (Islamist) attitudes because of his dislike/hatred of America.

Hillary is a free woman. She’s entirely free to point out to the American people that Obama will get up in Muslim costumes at a the drop of a hat. And what that says about him.

If Obama goes down in flames (and takes lots of Dems with him) as “the anti-American and pro-Muslim candidate” well then Dems should have darn well chosen the “safe” Candidate and fallen in line not in love. Better luck next time, 2012, going with the Smartest Woman in the World(tm) than the latest fling.

whiskey_199 on February 25, 2008 at 4:23 PM

These all seem like out of context questions to me (in fairness I’ve been paying attention to this for some time) but I’ll give them shot.

It’s logical to me that with Kenya still being a tribally-based society and with Obama and Odinga being related and with both being prominent politicians in their respective countries and with Obama’s immediate male relatives being deceased, that Obama would pay his respects to Odinga–possibly the highest “ranking” Luo in his family.

As to “sticking his nose in Kenyan elections,” didn’t someone just ask why Obama didn’t make a public statement about it? But now that I pointed to a public statement…damned if he does?

Again, about communists…most old-school Africans are communists–or rather surface Socialists. In reality what all too many are are kleptocrats. There’s a libertarian/free market wing of Kenyan politics which advocate the cessation of all int’l aid for this reason. God love ‘em.

Hope this helps.

baldilocks on February 25, 2008 at 4:30 PM

War? Religious intolerance? How about simple immaturity?

Cuffy Meigs on February 25, 2008 at 4:41 PM

baldilocks on February 25, 2008 at 4:30 PM

I was, and still am, trying to clarify whether he just stopped by to say hello or campaigned for him, as has been reported. I have no problem with him visiting his cousin. I do have a problem with him working to get him elected, if that’s what he did.

Obama did not choose his Kenyan family, he was not raised with them, and ordinarily their actions would not concern us. However, if he is going to actively promote someone’s election because they are his cousin, then he has to take responsibility for that. He has made his family his business (and our business) at that point.

One caveat – if the afro-centrism of his church and his relationship to his family affects his foreign policy positions, then that too is fair to look at.

He needs to show that he can be an objective, impersonal advocate of American interests and is not going to take sides in situations because of his heritage.

Buy Danish on February 25, 2008 at 4:47 PM

I am definitely not an Osambo fan but…

OBX Pete on February 25, 2008 at 10:26 AM

You should be 86ed for that putrid bile.

What’s sad is that I am getting the distinct feeling that such sentiments are not uncommon.

A relative told me about an experience he had with his walking group. Somebody mentioned that Obama was being endorsed by the founders of Ben&Jerry’s. Then they are started joking about the forthcoming flavors — Jigaboo Jubilee and other such gems. This is a group of middle-aged conservative guys and their wives.

I don’t think joking about Ben&Jerrry flavors makes someone a bigot. I do however, think that it does indicate a huge blind-spot and impending collision of ideals within the party.

…The mention of any of these memes – that they’re true, might be true, “sound” true, “don’t know” if they’re true but should be discussed as if they might be – is prima facie evidence of lefty sockpuppetry and trolling.

Hiney Von Pewps on February 25, 2008 at 11:55 AM

Unfortunately, the only time I hear any of this tired refrains being repeated is by Republicans. I realize there is an active phalanx of Democrats who infiltrate conservative blogs and spew ignorance to make us look bigoted.

But the potential of an Obama presidency has sicced our own dogs upon us. The allusions to Obama-cum-traitor or as a Muslim sleeper are not uncommon…even here on HotAir.

So I dispute your charge that any mention of such stupid ideas are proof of “trolls.” Rather I see such outbursts as proof that we have a lot of work to do.

Obama is perfectly flawed. He is a celebrity politician; there is no easier target. We do not have to resort to race-baiting, racial/religious antagonism to beat him.

***
one of many utterly foolish ponderings about Obama:

My concern exactly. I truely hope Obama is a christian, for his sake and for the sake of our country. What concerns me is the fact that islam teaches that it is perfectly o.k. to lie and fool the infidels to reach a higher goal or establish power…as in…POTUS….

kcd on February 25, 2008 at 10:05 AM

***
It will be sad to see the Republican Party sink itself over a candidate as lame as John McCain. Mitt Rommney would have made an awesome party nominee.

This party will impale itself with loose-lipped bigotry and its persistent lack of focus on our strengths and core issues. This election precedes what will be a 8-16 year retooling and rebuilding the party.

Republicans rely too heavily upon independents to contend with Democratic voter rolls. That is our weakness.

The Race Card on February 25, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Now I see. Answer: I don’t know. There’s a photo of the two floating around, taken during Obama’s 2006 visit. Some conservative bloggers who shall remain nameless (I’ve called them out before) have been featuring it. Here it is. Note the red ribbon. According to Obama, it was the occasion when he and Michelle O. received their symbolic AIDS test while on the visit. Aforementioned other bloggers have given the photo an alternate context, trying to connect the photo of the two and, therefore, Obama, to the Kenyan unrest sparked by the 12/2007 election results. That’s why I mentioned the timeline.

Asides about Odinga: he received his undergrad in what used to be East Germany. His father was the first vice president of the independent Kenya–under Jomo Kenyatta.

baldilocks on February 25, 2008 at 5:01 PM

baldilocks on February 25, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Any chance the State Dept. actually asked him to go? (Rather than him okaying a trip with them)?

Connie on February 25, 2008 at 5:07 PM

Why is showing a photo that Obama posed for -in Muslim tribal dress- “shameful fear-mongering” according to Barack?

What is shameful about the turban and khaftan?

What would inspire fear among Americans about seeing a presidential candidate gussied up like Osama Bin Laden?

If Barack wasn’t proud of the costume then, he shouldn’t have worn it.

If Barry isn’t proud of it now, he should say why.

(They must have put rocks in the turban to keep this lightweight from floating off.)

profitsbeard on February 25, 2008 at 5:19 PM

Connie on February 25, 2008 at 5:07 PM

That’s something I hadn’t considered. However, both Condoleezza Rice and The Assistant SOS for African Affairs Jendayi Frazer have both been there recently.

baldilocks on February 25, 2008 at 5:20 PM

baldilocks on February 25, 2008 at 5:01 PM

Thanks!

Buy Danish on February 25, 2008 at 5:24 PM

Thanks!

Buy Danish on February 25, 2008 at 5:24 PM

You’re very welcome.

baldilocks on February 25, 2008 at 5:26 PM

baldilocks on February 25, 2008 at 5:26 PM

Any insight on this?

The father of Kenyan independence and president until 1978 was Jomo Kenyatta, a Kikuyu. His main political opponent was Oginga Odinga, known as “OO,” a Luo and Raila’s father.

While Kenyatta was pro-West and sided with America in the Cold War, OO was a Communist who was aided and supported by the Soviet Union.

That’s why Raila went to school in East Germany (born in 1945, he graduated from Magdeburg University in 1970), and named his first-born son after Fidel Castro.

Buy Danish on February 25, 2008 at 5:46 PM

Obama has no problem donning garb from a muslim-dominated country as to not appear rude, but when it comes to America, he objects to wearing a weightless pin of the American flag on his lapel. Get a clue, Obama.

jtorres138 on February 25, 2008 at 5:52 PM

Buy Danish on February 25, 2008 at 5:46 PM

Anything, particular in mind?

baldilocks on February 25, 2008 at 6:02 PM

This is an interesting article which says that Odinga falsely claimed that Obama supported him. But it also says that Obama has neither confirmed or denied this.

Anyway there’s a lot of interesting stuff in here, including how Africans view African-Americans.

Buy Danish on February 25, 2008 at 6:03 PM

baldilocks on February 25, 2008 at 6:02 PM

Cross posted…

I do find Odinga’s bio troubling. Cousin or not, courtesy call or no courtesy call, Obama should have steered clear of this guy. He is clearly bad news.

Unless this is all part of his plan to meet with world leaders without preconditions.

Buy Danish on February 25, 2008 at 6:07 PM

To clarify, I think it’s a bit too easy to say that everyone in the old guard in Kenya is a Communist, as if it doesn’t matter all that much.

Odinga’s father was the Leftist opposition to the pro-Western choice. If we’re going to pick sides, it seems to me that that’s the side to be on.

Maybe it’s unfair but it all adds to the aura of Left wing anti-Americanism that Obama hovers around in.

Buy Danish on February 25, 2008 at 6:19 PM

Not easy, but an opinion born from observation and from stated rhetoric. Nearly all of the old guard–including my father–cling stubbornly to the socialist policies with which they were indoctrinated during their sojourns at American European universities.

baldilocks on February 25, 2008 at 7:13 PM

at American and European universities.

baldilocks on February 25, 2008 at 7:16 PM

It is so simple, if you don’t want to look bad, then don’t look bad.

It is not any more complicated than that.

kcarpenter on February 25, 2008 at 8:00 PM

baldilocks on February 25, 2008 at 7:13 PM

I feel for you having to deal with your father’s illusions. Have you read Wild Swans? about China under Mao?

Buy Danish on February 25, 2008 at 8:53 PM

“Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!”

Rumour has it that the Red Cross has already typed and crossed both Clinton and Obama and will have additional blood supplies on standby for the Tuesday debate.

One is mindful of the variations of the genie in the bottle jokes. In each instance, the person who calls forth the genie is granted a wish but suffers from some sort of unintended consequence. With that in mind, Clinton’s campaign has indeed taken on a sort of inevitability.

moxie_neanderthal on February 25, 2008 at 9:09 PM

Buy Danish on February 25, 2008 at 8:53 PM

Thanks but running from his countrymen has opened his eyes. He’s a refugee somewhere over there–a place with a modem (probably Uganda). Or he has wifi and is doing better than I am computer-wise.

baldilocks on February 25, 2008 at 10:16 PM