Nuance: Columbia noose prof sanctioned for mass plagiarism

posted at 12:18 pm on February 21, 2008 by Allahpundit

Two dozen instances over five years according to the Post, citing an investigation by a firm retained by the university. This’ll destroy her credibility on the stand so hopefully the D.A. won’t need her as a witness when they prosecute whoever left the noose on her door last year. Assuming they ever find a suspect, that is.

The plagiarism probe was already under way last year when a 4-foot twine noose was discovered on the door of psychology and education professor Madonna Constantine’s office, officials at the university’s Teachers College said…

Teachers College spokesman Joe Levine would not say how Constantine was punished, but college officials said her position is secure.

In a statement e-mailed to Bloomberg News Service yesterday, Constantine said she was the victim of a racist conspiracy.

The school accused her of plagiarism because of the “structural racism that pervades this institution,” she charged. “As one of only two tenured black women full professors at Teachers College, it pains me to conclude that I have been specifically and systematically targeted.”

Follow the link for reaction from one of her (alleged) victims, whom you’ll find not nearly as magnanimous as Deval Patrick. Or better yet, read through the Spectator’s report and keep an eye out for the quote of the day; someone’s got a job waiting for her in the Obama spin shop if she wants it. Exit question: How many dozen times do you have to plagiarize someone before Columbia thinks about firing you?

Comments

Huh? Please tell me this is a misprint.

THE CHOSEN ONE on February 21, 2008 at 12:22 PM

If you’re a black leftist woman? 25 is apparently a trigger point.

If you’re a white leftist man? Probably in the upper teens.

If you’re a conservative reactionary crypto-facist? Zero. They won’t hire you in the first place.

Vote Sauron 08 on February 21, 2008 at 12:23 PM

But professor, I thought copying things from other people was unethical?

Prof: Well it is for you, but I’ve EARNED the right.

I’m a little shocked, but I really shouldn’t be.

uniclone on February 21, 2008 at 12:23 PM

I found it, I found it!

“Is this where our tuition dollars are going? Toward the investigation of a woman whose words of insight and provocative thoughts have progressed the academic battle toward social justice?” said Amanda Luterman, a TC student in counseling and clinical psychology. “I honestly don’t understand the priorities here anymore when I see the good guys under siege.”

a capella on February 21, 2008 at 12:28 PM

She lied, the press was snide.

RobCon on February 21, 2008 at 12:30 PM

And my White Guilt Factor drops 3,452 points

Mortis on February 21, 2008 at 12:31 PM

she put the nooses up as a scapegoat against the charges?

lorien1973 on February 21, 2008 at 12:34 PM

This type of response does major damage to legitimate complaints of racism. Don’t these fools realize that?

a capella on February 21, 2008 at 12:35 PM

I smelled hoax on this story from the get-go. Whatever happened to the cctv of the hall outside this woman’s office? Is the school still refusing to give it to the police?

Sean68 on February 21, 2008 at 12:39 PM

things that defintely make you go hmmmm…

max1 on February 21, 2008 at 12:39 PM

yo on February 21, 2008 at 12:40 PM

she put the nooses up as a scapegoat against the charges?

lorien1973 on February 21, 2008 at 12:34 PM

It would appear to be so.

- The Cat

MirCat on February 21, 2008 at 12:44 PM

Yup, an Obama appointee in the making, “He’s a good guy, and he’s doing these things for your own good! Quit yer bitchin’ and get to your ‘volunteer’ work now or to the camps with you!!”

bbz123 on February 21, 2008 at 12:46 PM

a capella on February 21, 2008 at 12:35 PM

I call Bingo. You are soooo right about that. Just like that skank dancer from Duke calling rape to cover up her own actions damaged rape victims everywhere. One step forward, twenty-some steps back.

I’m sure the call from Michelle & Barack is forthcoming.

dish on February 21, 2008 at 12:49 PM

I’m sure she was severely chastised. Well, maybe not. That would be racist.

The double standard lives. And, with the help of institutions like Columbia, it always will.

That anyone gives the slightest credence to Constantine’s bleatings is an indictment of all those, of whatever race, who behave ethically.

Plagiarism is wrong. Oh, wait, I’d better find out who has said that before….

MrScribbler on February 21, 2008 at 12:51 PM

No Plagiarized Noose
Cut Her Loose

Wade on February 21, 2008 at 1:00 PM

So she plagiarized the work of at least one other professor and at least 11 students yet she’s the victim. There’s some leftist logic for you.

KelliD on February 21, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Is she trying to say that if I were to teach at a school where I was the only ScandAm and the only anonymous American that I would automatically be charged with plagerism?

snaggletoothie on February 21, 2008 at 1:01 PM

As I commented over at MM’s site, I bet her sanction was to write 1000 times, “I will not bring rope to school again”…heh

d1carter on February 21, 2008 at 1:04 PM

she put the nooses up as a scapegoat against the charges?

lorien1973 on February 21, 2008 at 12:34 PM

what better way to claim racism than to plant a noose on your door.

scalleywag on February 21, 2008 at 1:16 PM

Now we know who Michelle Obama is “borrowing” from. Of course, we all know that “borrowing” isn’t an issue at Columbia, nor is it an issue with Barack Obama.

It never ceases to amaze me, the belligerence of those in high places – who have nothing because of the color of their skin.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 21, 2008 at 1:21 PM

The only thing they have institutionalized is white guilt. They brought this upon themselves. I cannot say I feel sorry for Columbia. Were they in the business of being color blind fools like Constantine would have no place at Columbia.

Better wake up academia, and stop bowing to your diversity god. I can’t wait until Novenmer 5, 2008 so we can see how jaded Michelle LaVaughn Robinson (Obama) really is…

Theworldisnotenough on February 21, 2008 at 1:22 PM

Madonna Constantine

For her employers, her name should have been an indicator of her originality.

baldilocks on February 21, 2008 at 1:27 PM

This is Columbia, whose solution to their famous football losing streak was to suggest to the rest of the Ivies that they bend the academic standard rule for athletics, but just for Columbia.

Still in that rut, I see.

TexasDan on February 21, 2008 at 1:39 PM

They will never think about it. Too scared of the backlash of being thought of as RAAAAAACIST!

rightside on February 21, 2008 at 1:46 PM

she put the nooses up as a scapegoat against the charges?

lorien1973 on February 21, 2008 at 12:34 PM

It all makes sense now.

awake on February 21, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Ummm, when the “good guys” do bad things, maybe they weren’t really the “good guys”.

Sloan Morganstern on February 21, 2008 at 2:10 PM

Sloan Morganstern on February 21, 2008 at 2:10 PM

I just love it when the intellectual cowards beat around the bush when it comes to their desire for “Communism.” What the fools never seem to understand, because of their illiteracy and ignorance [the bedrock for being pro-Communist], is that the “educated” are the first to be sent to the Gulag, or to have a bullet introduced into the base of the skull – when their Communist Utopia is realized.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 21, 2008 at 2:17 PM

After the October incident, cops were rebuffed – by Constantine herself – in their efforts to catch the person behind the alleged hate crime.
The professor was one of several faculty members who objected to the idea of posting surveillance cameras in her hallway,

That’s a little too convenient.

KelliD on February 21, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Don’t forget, that’s the logic the muslims are using against our PC world as well. Hey, it works!!

4shoes on February 21, 2008 at 2:29 PM

I’m not surprised it was in the “education” department. I’ve taken a couple pedagogy classes and it’s not without reason that that department is looked down upon as the intellectually weakest of them and its students and staff as stupid. And, if you know American schools, you’ll also not be surprised about the need they feel to make a racial point.

Of course the Educationists aren’t the only ones who sometimes plagiarize (ain’t that right, Joe Biden?). Here’s a video of the hilarious song from Tom Lehrer about learnin the art of plagiarizing from the great Lobachevsky.

Tzetzes on February 21, 2008 at 3:03 PM

From the [Columbia] Spectator link:

Tzetzes on February 21, 2008 at 3:27 PM

Graduate course in Stupidity

Kini on February 21, 2008 at 3:44 PM

How deep in racial indignation and identity do you really have to be to accuse Columbia of being racist? Seriously.
DKK

LifeTrek on February 21, 2008 at 4:17 PM

the academic ” tawana brawley ” herself.

except I will give latitude to the actual TB since she was a child , And, was manipulated by unsavory types.

Sonosam on February 21, 2008 at 4:53 PM

Setting up the noose was a little too obvious wasn’t it. Like we are supposed to think that she didn’t know that every white persons dream is to lynch a black female professor? She really knows our weaknesses and took advantage of them.

BL@KBIRD on February 21, 2008 at 5:13 PM

Do you ever wonder who the bigger whores are….prostitutes or journalists? When human trash like Lil Artie Sulzburger can control the the propaganda spewed on a daily basis by the NY Times, then prostitutes don’t have a chance.

volsense on February 21, 2008 at 5:29 PM

Most liberals who are racists/bigots know exactly how to affect human opinion by attracting attention with objects of hate and bigotry easily identified by other liberal racists/bigots. The truth just doesn’t exist for racists like Constantine and those like her.

volsense on February 21, 2008 at 5:35 PM

White guilt? Try Black Shame. Blacks, whites, yellows, reds, and browns all over the nation should be ashamed of this woman.

Institutional racism is alive and well in colleges and universities all over the country.

fourstringfuror on February 21, 2008 at 6:09 PM

She seems to be really close to claiming that plagiarism is a cultural phenomenon–she should be exempt from plagiarism charges because of her ethnicity. So, it seems the logic goes, if Columbia is sufficiently multi-culturally sensitive, she’ll get a pass on the plagiarism, just as lefty adademia gives Islamofascists cover for their treatment of women. Oh well, I suppose our cultures respect for intellectual property law is related to our disgusting oppressive bourgeois morality.

smellthecoffee on February 21, 2008 at 9:49 PM

When the noose thing happened there was a march against racism. Will there now be a march against plagiarism?

OH WAIT!!!! That would assume that the college existed to produce original scholarship, when the real mission is teaching future teachers to hate America.

culturism on February 21, 2008 at 10:40 PM