Obama supporter’s memory refreshed: Oh, those accomplishments

posted at 6:30 pm on February 20, 2008 by Allahpundit

Noteworthy mainly for the extent of the self-deprecation. Genuine remorse at having inadvertently humiliated his guy in front of MSNBC’s three viewers, do you think? Or circumstantial evidence of the kind of abuse this poor tool must be taking today from the other disciples for having blasphemed the holy name?

[M]y mind went blank. I expected to be asked about the primary that night, or the big one coming up in Texas on March 4, or just about anything else in the news. When the subject changed so emphatically, I reached for information that millions of my fellow Obama supporters could recite by heart, and I couldn’t summon it…

Had I not lost my mind, here are the accomplishments I would have mentioned…

In the meantime, let’s not lose focus on what’s important in this election. It’s not my stunning televised defeat in “Stump the Chump.”

[H]e has the record to prove that all of this is possible. It’s something no one should forget.

. . . Even though I did.

. . . On national television.

Follow the link for a short yet still nearly exhaustive list of Obama’s policy achievements; the one thing he really is known for — opposing the war from the outset — is oddly omitted. Serious question: Why are his supporters so paranoid about claiming he has a record worthy of the presidency? The whole point of his appeal is that he doesn’t. “Change,” right? Fresh start. Young, new day, new horizons, outsider coming in, etc. If voters cared about experience, Joe Biden and Bill Richardson would be locked in the death struggle for delegates right now, not Her Majesty and His Holiness. People vote mostly for narrative and personality, at least within the primaries. Why not just admit it? And, much more importantly, learn from it?

Exit question: If millions of Obama supporters are able to recite his many impressive accomplishments by heart, how come Hannity and Luntz have yet to stumble onto one of them in those focus groups? Same deal as this guy, maybe? Just give them a few hours and it’ll come to them?

Comments

began grilling me on Senator Obama’s legislative record.

Grilling? He asked you to name one (1) accomplishment.

amerpundit on February 20, 2008 at 6:37 PM

If Obama has accomplishments, doesn’t that make him part of the old establishment of which we are trying to rid ourselves to accomplish change? As mentioned above, shouldn’t this be a race towards the goal of only platonic participation?

a capella on February 20, 2008 at 6:39 PM

I still don’t see anything worthy of being called an “accomplishment.”

Just more Hope.

Not even any Change.

MrScribbler on February 20, 2008 at 6:42 PM

Of course, you’ve already answered the question. His accomplishments mean nothing to his supporters and never did. It’s about feeling and emotion and momentum. The ‘fainting’ episodes tell the entire story. He’s a perfect blank slate. Democrats (or anybody else who supports him) will project whatever pretty picture they want onto that empty canvas regardless of what he says or does. What’s frightening is that such a huge percentage of the country thinks that’s the right way to select a president…how does he make ME FEEL when I listen to one of his empty, vague speeches. He’s just a sign of the times.

AUINSC on February 20, 2008 at 6:43 PM

If Obama supporters had any brains, they’d say something like “Well, George Washington didn’t have any experience in, you know, Washington when he became President.”

flipflop on February 20, 2008 at 6:43 PM

[M]y mind went blank.

Insert inevitable joke here.

amerpundit on February 20, 2008 at 6:45 PM

DWEEB.

Pronunciation: \ˈdwēb\
Function: noun
Etymology: origin unknown
Date: 1964
slang : an unattractive, insignificant, or inept person

Nelsa on February 20, 2008 at 6:49 PM

began grilling me on Senator Obama’s legislative record

“What would you like for dinner, Kirk?”

WHOA! What’s with the third degree? I don’t have that kind of information at my fingertips…

Frozen Tex on February 20, 2008 at 6:50 PM

[M]y mind went is blank.
Insert inevitable joke here.

amerpundit on February 20, 2008 at 6:45 PM

Gladly.

fourstringfuror on February 20, 2008 at 6:52 PM

AP-I suggest that you incorporate a “DweebOmeter” in to the site. It could be very helpful until November. LOL

Nelsa on February 20, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Every time anyone is asked to name Obama’s accomplishments, the response brings this to mind. I’m guessing she is supporting Obama, too.

Wingo on February 20, 2008 at 6:54 PM

Wow….MSNBC gave him ‘overs’. How sporting.

Limerick on February 20, 2008 at 6:55 PM

Sigh. Watson used to be the mayor of Austin. Check out his list of awards on that link AP gave us. Austinites LOVE this chump. How embarrassing. All I can say is, I live in the conservative ‘burbs, not in the liberal enclave of Austin. Never voted for this guy, and wouldn’t have even if I lived in the city limits.

aero on February 20, 2008 at 6:57 PM

Obama is winning over democrats who are vacious anyways. He has a harder sell in the general.

Keep in mind this is a party that has Kucinich as an elected candidate. Its not like they need to be sane or anything.

William Amos on February 20, 2008 at 6:57 PM

* Senator Obama’s fight for universal children’s health care in Illinois. (Accomplishment, Y or N)
* His success bringing Republicans and Democrats together on bills such as the one in Illinois requiring police interrogations and confessions to be videotaped. (Accomplishment, Y or N)
* His leadership on ethics reform in Washington. (Accomplishment Y or N)
* His bill to make the federal budget far more transparent and accessible to Americans via the Internet. (Accomplishment Y or N)
* And his vital work with Republicans to lock down nuclear weapons around the world. (Accomplishment Y or N)

ac·com·plish·ment
1. an act or instance of carrying into effect; fulfillment: the accomplishment of our desires.
2. something done admirably or creditably: Space exploration is a major accomplishment of science.
3. anything accomplished; deed; achievement: a career measured in a series of small accomplishments.
5. the action of accomplishing something
6. an ability that has been acquired by training

Are we grading the candidate on successes or nice tries?

Kini on February 20, 2008 at 7:01 PM

That’s a sad list. My staff have informed me that I myself have provided bipartisan leadership in exactly measuring the shallowness of meaning that lurks behind Obama’s rhetorical over compensation. My staff also told me to say I have joined with Democrats and independents in making fun of MO. I have been a leader in bringing ethical purity to Hot Air. And I joined with Democrats in sending Bryan stories from the net that he never used. I can honestly say that I care more about the senate and America than BHO. And I could talk about myself forever why can’t Barack say more about himself. Oh, that’s right the subject is real accomplishments.

snaggletoothie on February 20, 2008 at 7:01 PM

Obama, Pelosi, Reid, Franken, Lurch, Teddycantdrive, Waxman,
Boxer, Murtha, Rangle…….what could go wrong?

Limerick on February 20, 2008 at 7:05 PM

Just so I am clear here:

Real change means electing a person that is an elected member of said establishment, a member that doesn’t have any accomplishent to brag about, and pretending said member isn’t one of them but will somehow bring hope and change..

Do I have that right?

Pam on February 20, 2008 at 7:09 PM

Grilling? He asked you to name one (1) accomplishment.

amerpundit on February 20, 2008 at 6:37 PM

Yup. That’s all he asked.

But he asked it more than once. And actually wanted, you know, an answer. (Credit to Matthews for that, by the way).

If you’re a Messiah supporter, that’s considered a pretty serious grilling.

Professor Blather on February 20, 2008 at 7:12 PM

AUINSC on February 20, 2008 at 6:43 PM

There you go. In a nutshell.

If Obama actually has any “accomplishments” – and maybe he does – they don’t matter one bit. Nothing he’s done matters, and guess what? Nothing he WILL DO in the future matters. Not to his supporters.

That’s all just silly details. He’s Barack, baby. Just go with it.

Professor Blather on February 20, 2008 at 7:13 PM

Don’t look now, but the “enlightened Leftists” at HUFFPO are in-fighting about Hillary vs Michelle.

SERIOUSLY, y’all, one of the TOLERANT Hillary loving LIBERALS in the comment thread ACTUALLY SUGGESTS THAT MICHELLE OBAMA LOOKS LIKE “ZIRA” FROM PLANET OF THE APES.

So it begins. Instead of Che Guevara T-shirts, the Clinton campaign is already printing new hip clothing. Can’t you just see it?

seejanemom on February 20, 2008 at 7:15 PM

I can just picture that horrible feeling he had in his gut after the first interview, like Linus must have felt when he accidentally said “if” the Great Pumpkin shows up.

I pictured him quivering in the fetal position for hours, wondering how he could atone to the god-emperor.

Nosferightu on February 20, 2008 at 7:15 PM

Kini on February 20, 2008 at 7:01 PM

Your post reminded me of the crappy, PC, booby-prize trophies that are now handed out at the end of little league season.

Obama, the kid who never got on base or drove in a run, and never caught a ball, but showed up for almost every practice and cheered the loudest at every game, truly deserves the “Good Tryer” award.

Wingo on February 20, 2008 at 7:17 PM

Accomplishments? Obama doesn’t need any stinkin’ accomplishments. He will “give” you your heart’s desire: government health care; government-mandated pension; government-mandated salary….and of course, peace — blessed peace. And when the middle class (the one that largely pays the goverment’s bills) realizes that 70% of their salaries will be taken in support of this “gift,” and that “peace” comes at the price of giving up a state or two to a third-world demographic invasion, or vacating a nuclear-contaminated major city or three, why then, yes — they can live on hope!

Nichevo on February 20, 2008 at 7:18 PM

Obama, Pelosi, Reid, Franken, Lurch, Teddycantdrive, Waxman,
Boxer, Murtha, Rangle…….what could go wrong?

Limerick on February 20, 2008 at 7:05 PM

I looked like you were writing some nightmare version of “We Didn’t Light the Fire.”

Nosferightu on February 20, 2008 at 7:21 PM

I question just how accurate it would be to assert that Obama is an outsider, a fresh face. He’s a beneficiary of big city machine politics in perhaps the most notorious big city machine of them all. Really, how different could Chicago be from Washington, other than the fact that Washington allows pandering and vote-buying from both sides.

Mark V. on February 20, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Wingo on February 20, 2008 at 6:54 PM

Obama makes maps?

Talon on February 20, 2008 at 7:32 PM

Well…he has become a US senator. That’s quite an accomplishment, no? Why not mention THAT? Just because he rarely shows up to vote should be irrelevent in this case. He’s also managed to NOT have Michelle claw his eyes out. You can just tell she’s got a short fuse.

SouthernGent on February 20, 2008 at 7:37 PM

What he means:

What, I’m just a lawmaker, you expect me to cite legislation? Are you kidding me? And I’m too busy trying to get rich to go to his stupid website and read the talking points. I’m only a politician.

LevStrauss on February 20, 2008 at 7:37 PM

Ask me about my accomplishments on national television, and I wouldn’t be able to think of anything either.

Ya’ll are working too hard trying to score debating points when you should be explaining why liberal policies are detrimental, and traditional conservative policies are beneficial.

So has anyone identified any accomplishments yet?

rockhauler on February 20, 2008 at 8:18 PM

His mind went blank because he thought he was going to be asked something about the primary? What the heck did he think he was going to be asked, what he thought of Marlee Maitlin being on the new season of Dancing With The Stars, or his opinion of Lindsay Lohan showing off her assets in the Fashion edition of New York magazine, or something else OTHER THAN the primary? My advice to this clown: NEVER plan to be a contestant on “Jeopardy”!

pilamaye on February 20, 2008 at 8:41 PM

Yeah, except they weren’t asking him about HIS accomplishments…they were asking him about Obama’s accomplishments. The point was, this kind of question should have required no thought at all…they should have just rolled out naturally. Against the ‘Messiah’, we aren’t fighting policy or debating a reasoned argument, we are fighting pure leftist fantasy and the perfect-packaged marketing machine behind it. We have to make our points, as conservatives, but that is not sufficient. We have to recognize what we are up against or all of the good reasoned ‘explaining why liberal policies are detrimental, and traditional conservative policies are beneficial.’ will lead us to another ‘Jimmy Carter II’ presidency. We have to make fun of the ‘Obama as the Beatles’ phenomenon constantly. We have to hold a mirror up to the ‘fainters’ and let them see how ridiculous they are.

AUINSC on February 20, 2008 at 8:47 PM

That guy is a VERY dim bulb …. but he’s got hope!

Chimp 6 on February 20, 2008 at 9:05 PM

Do overs with time for a google…just wow.
but NOW I’m IMPRESSED!-( hahahahahahahahaahaha oh it hurts)

shooter on February 20, 2008 at 9:15 PM

Uh…no. Genuine embarrassment at exposing the Emperor’s flabby, naked butt, and genuine horror at the filthy, enraged emails he is getting on his web site from the “Better Angels” over at DU.

Jaibones on February 20, 2008 at 11:26 PM

I’m voting for Obama because he is inspiring those who have never been inspired by a politician; he is the anti-politician

I’m voting for Obama because he will move people to be greater than what they currently are, he will rally the young and old, left and right, black and white to come together and reach for greatness.

I’m voting for Obama because he is a proponent of change and hope –something our world desperately needs.

I’m voting for Obama because His ability to lift the spirits of those who are oppressed is evident in his soaring speeches not seen since Dr. King; this will truly heal the damaged reputation of the U.S. abroad.

I’m voting for Obama because he will provoke change and transformation in our nation, our communities, and ultimately, in ourselves.

He bridges the racial divide of inequality and resentment that plague us- he will repair the years of brokeness that have gone before us. In him the ivory tower of Ivy League schooling and inner city desperation kiss in an intimate resolution of tension, strife and the chasm of want.

He inspired Will.i.am to write a great song and video, showing he has the ability to transcend artistic barriers of indifference and greed, uniting those would otherwise be prone to capitalist quarreling.

I’m voting for Obama because He is in his forties just like Bill Clinton was. And just like JFK was.

I’m voting for Obama because He is willing to speak with Mahmoud Ahmadinejad – and other misunderstood leaders of developing nations letting them know that, yes, we can.

I’m voting for Obama because he was not subjected to 5 years of Vietnamese imprisonment and torture, thereby proving his youthful vitality and ability to stay out of harrowing and unnecessary wars.

I’m voting for Obama because He will bring home the troops and finally leave Iraq to flourish in peace and prosperity.

I’m voting for Obama because He is so cool he is bound to have an effect on global warming.

I’m voting for Obama because I love the sound of beautiful words that sing like Clay Aiken on a warm summer day.

I’m voting for Obama because He makes me feel good about myself.

And what I feel defines what is real.

When I vote for Obama, I vote for me.

kickstar1 on February 21, 2008 at 1:59 AM

Obama:

An empty barrel makes the most noise!!

landlines on February 21, 2008 at 2:03 AM

kickstar1 on February 21, 2008 at 1:59 AM

Haha, dude that was hilarious. Through the first third, you had me fooled because you sounded JUST like a real Obamite… I was ready to lay in to you for the idiocy of such comments… then you made me to an emotional 180 and I started LMAO when I realized what you were doing. “Lol” is tossed around so flippantly these days, but I honestly did laugh out loud a few times at your comment. Bravo.

RightWinged on February 21, 2008 at 3:39 AM

Awesome.

yo on February 21, 2008 at 9:43 AM

Here’s my contribution to the Photoshop trip.

whiskeytango on February 21, 2008 at 1:58 PM