Video: Hardball confuses Obama with Osama

posted at 8:15 am on February 19, 2008 by Bryan

Geez. And people get mad when someone calls him “Hussein.”

The thing about a mistake like this is, it’s not just a button push. Someone had to spend some time making that graphic and some producer somewhere saw it before it went to air. And then, it actually went to air.

I bet a couple of people got stern talking-to’s after this aired Monday.

Comments

Anyone got a screen cap of it? Cant watch at work :)

Dash on February 19, 2008 at 8:17 AM

“Et tu, Chris?”
–Obama

jgapinoy on February 19, 2008 at 8:20 AM

Yes, saw this one last night; can you imagine if this had happened on Fox?
Screen cap can be found at http://www.sondrak.com.

carbon_footprint on February 19, 2008 at 8:22 AM

LOL.

Leftism is the philosophy of adolescence…

Yet another example of the childish left. Mommy will ground them.

benrand on February 19, 2008 at 8:24 AM

Considering that PMSNBC’s ratings are virtually at the bottom of the toilet bowl, it is a wonder that anyone would even notice they pulled a dumb stunt like this.

pilamaye on February 19, 2008 at 8:26 AM

You see, we just can’t have that man as president, the msm is too easily confused over who he is.

boomer on February 19, 2008 at 8:27 AM

Dear Hillary,

We at MSNBC are deeply sorry about the unfortunate comments made last week regarding Chelsea. We hope that this little gesture helps ease the pain of those remarks.

Sincerely,
Chris Matthews

XOXOXO

TheBigOldDog on February 19, 2008 at 8:29 AM

On Fox&Freinds this moning Lanny Davis claims Obama was in Idaho and signed some kind of form supporting the ban on the sale and possession of all hand guns

KBird on February 19, 2008 at 8:33 AM

I blame Bush.

NoFanofLibs on February 19, 2008 at 8:33 AM

If Hardball was around 240 yrs ago, they’d confuse George the 3rd with George Washington.

jgapinoy on February 19, 2008 at 8:40 AM

A tingle went up Chrissy’s other leg.

infidel65 on February 19, 2008 at 8:43 AM

… I tried to stay objective … but have to tell you I felt this thrill go up my leg ….

Dusty on February 19, 2008 at 8:56 AM

People get mad at her for calling him Hussein, but they do it too. Just as this is not an accident, it is not irrelevant. B. Hussein Obama’s name reflects deep ties to Islam. Just as surely as his ties to the Lou clan in Kenya have had import, so will his ties to Islam. And while multiculturalists tell us it is just another religion, we culturists know better.

culturism on February 19, 2008 at 9:02 AM

Obama, Osama? There is a difference?

Bubba Redneck on February 19, 2008 at 9:30 AM

Could be as innocent as the producer asking someone in the graphics department to get ready a photo of Obama, and the person receiving the message hearing “Osama”.

The names only differ by one letter, after all.

Seixon on February 19, 2008 at 9:40 AM

heh, comedy gold.

Alden Pyle on February 19, 2008 at 9:45 AM

B. Hussein Obama’s name reflects deep ties to Islam.

Oh, for crying out loud. A name doesn’t entitle anyone to inferences about anyone’s background. My family was Catholic for something like 1400 years; I’m not.

DrSteve on February 19, 2008 at 9:46 AM

Yea, blonde guys are dumb, too.

Mazztek on February 19, 2008 at 9:52 AM

Obama, Osama? There is a difference?

Bubba Redneck on February 19, 2008 at 9:30 AM

To be fair, there is an S worth of difference!

TheBigOldDog on February 19, 2008 at 9:54 AM

pilamaye on February 19, 2008 at 8:26 AM

Seriously, people; who watches MSNBC anymore? I have watched that channel exactly one time in the last three years, and that was the Republican debate.

We all know what a bunch of idiots there are running the place. Watching this only confirms that.

fourstringfuror on February 19, 2008 at 10:08 AM

culturism on February 19, 2008 at 9:02 AM

Eh? I think there is quite enough fodder without trying to make some odd connection between his name and a belief system.

You might start with his professed faith and it’s view of the United States. Or you could review his plans for the economy…

That’s scary enough, tyvm.

Asher on February 19, 2008 at 10:24 AM

Maybe the mistake was they meant to say “Osama Bin Laden” instead of “Barack Obama” and they were under the false hope Osama Bin Laden was running for president this year. Wouldn’t surprise me from those bunch of nuts at MSNBC.

Planet Boulder on February 19, 2008 at 10:45 AM

It might have been Matthew’s idea: an attempt to get someone other than that guy at Olbermannwatch to turn on MSNBC. I will no longer turn on anything NBC since I heard their parent company trades with Iran. But I don’t think I’m missing much.

snaggletoothie on February 19, 2008 at 10:50 AM

I believe MSM should start calling him B. HUSSEIN, thereby eliminating all possible OBAMA OSAMA mistakes.YESSSSS.

pueblo1032 on February 19, 2008 at 11:10 AM

Matthews has got all sorts of dudes creeping up his legs.

Tzetzes on February 19, 2008 at 12:28 PM

Think Olbermann sabotaged Matthew’s graphic to both teach him a lesson (“I’m the big dog here”) and throw some subliminal support behind his gal Hilary? Olby ain’t that smart but it’d be funny if true.

srhoades on February 19, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Obama, Osama? There is a difference?

One has a B, the other an S. The difference is “B-S”.

Wait a minute. This was PMSNBC, not See BS. Where’s my TV Guide?

As to the relevance of BHO’s cultural roots… Whether he identifies with the Muslim religion and culture isn’t really as important as whether THEY identify him as one of their own. If you did a poll of self-identified Muslims around the world, and asked them if the son of an African Muslim named “Barack Hussein Obama” whose stepfather was an Indonesian Muslim, and who studied at a madrassa, is a Muslim, I suspect a pretty good number of them (if not an outright majority) would say yes.

But he became a Christian. That makes him even worse in their eyes than a mere kufr Crusader like me. They’d allow me to live among them (other than in Mecca or Medina) so long as I pay the jizya and don’t get too uppity. But he’s an apostate, and we all know what the rules are for apostates.

The Monster on February 19, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Ugh, Matthews is such a racist. :-P

ThePrez on February 19, 2008 at 3:49 PM

I bet a couple of people got stern talking-to’s after this aired Monday.

Please. It’s MSNBC. The largest concentration of Obama voters is at their little studio in Secaucus. Heads rolled for this.

malan89 on February 19, 2008 at 4:38 PM

What’s the problem, it looks just like him, only with a beard. Geez!

manwithblackhat on February 19, 2008 at 5:52 PM

A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words……….

awesum on February 19, 2008 at 8:29 PM

Dr. Steve, in this case the name does. Nearly all Muslim immigrants are recent immigrants. His name reflects this very intimate tie to Islam. As the monster points out his step father being Muslim and going to a madrassa are pretty intimate. This likely played a part, along with his tribal affiliation, in his backing of the upstart president in Kenya who has promised Sharia-like laws.

Asher he goes to a black nationalist church which has celebrated Farakkan. His faith is not irrelevant. I cannot believe that you guys actually think being closely affiliated with Islam is not currently a reasonable concern for someone running for the President of the U.S.

Finally, Monster. I like your point. I’d like to hear more of what you think the impact of the Muslim world’s affinity with him might be.

culturism on February 19, 2008 at 11:17 PM