Video: Why beta males shouldn’t propose in public

posted at 4:30 pm on February 16, 2008 by Allahpundit

We don’t know for a fact that he’s a beta, but if he wasn’t before, I guess he is now. In matters of law, so too in matters of the heart: Never ask a question you don’t already know the answer to.

Verdict: Fake.

Comments

she found out he was a huckabee supporter

darkegop on February 16, 2008 at 4:35 PM

she kept looking UP at the camera.

STAGED!

madmonkphotog on February 16, 2008 at 4:37 PM

Here’s one that’s even worse. A prank war taken horribly too far. Abou 5 minutes long, but worth the wait. This is why I NEVER get involved in prank wars.

cannonball on February 16, 2008 at 4:37 PM

Fakest thing I’ve seen since Hillary’s tears

ToddonCapeCod on February 16, 2008 at 4:40 PM

He’s a basketball fan, he deserved it.

Limerick on February 16, 2008 at 4:43 PM

This looked like one of those stupid “proposal skits” you see on WWE, where the bad guy wrestler proposes to some wrestling chick and then suddenly the babyface wrestler comes out and proceeds to kick the crap out of the bad guy wrestler and somewhere in between, the wrestling chick either gets knocked out or something dumb. This all usually leads up to some upcoming pay-per-view. Point is, the proposal is as fake as the entire WWE franchise. Maybe what was missing here was Mark Cuban coming out and kicking the crap out of the guy making the proposal. But then again, this wasn’t a Mavericks game anyway.

pilamaye on February 16, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Hmmmmmm, might be fake, but I still felt a little sorry for the guy.

TeeDee on February 16, 2008 at 4:47 PM

FMFAO

Harpoon on February 16, 2008 at 4:49 PM

I liked the mascot reaction.

LevStrauss on February 16, 2008 at 4:49 PM

He’ll probably get over in ten or twelve years or so.

Heh. That’s about right.

He’s a basketball fan, he deserved it.

Limerick on February 16, 2008 at 4:43 PM

That’s about right too. :)

petefrt on February 16, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Never ask a question you don’t already know the answer to.

Such a freekin….lawyer

Not like that’s a bad thing…

Wind Rider on February 16, 2008 at 4:59 PM

I actually proposed in public. Even though I was 99% certain what the answer would be my heart almost burst through my chest as I was asking.

12thman on February 16, 2008 at 5:05 PM

I wouldn’t marry him either–he has that nasty thin beard/sideburn thingie goin’ on. She had a nice rack though.

robblefarian on February 16, 2008 at 5:06 PM

Yeah, we’ve seen this BEFORE I believe…

JetBoy on February 16, 2008 at 5:07 PM

I feel bad for the guy. If she was acting, she deserves an Academy Award.

When I proposed, it was in the cabin of our cruise ship and it was the happiest day of my life.

Mooseman on February 16, 2008 at 5:15 PM

cannonball on February 16, 2008 at 4:37 PM

Anybody that goes by the nickname Streety Bird deserves to have the sh!t slapped out of him. Pretty darn funny, though.

txsurveyor on February 16, 2008 at 5:16 PM

I think the girl should have said yes to save him the embarrassment. Out of the site of the cameras, she should have let him down easy and coldcocked him for putting her in such a position.

Blake on February 16, 2008 at 5:31 PM

If the prankster weren’t a complete and total a$$hole, he’d have let the girl in on it.

Quisp on February 16, 2008 at 5:33 PM

Mooseman on February 16, 2008 at 5:15 PM

Absolutely a happy day… but also an anxious one for me. I proposed just after the stroke of midnight on NYE/NYD.

PS: The one thing that makes me believe this is fake is the fact that the guy just walked off with his beer. I think the natural reaction would either be to toss it or chug it as you switch to full on bender mode.

12thman on February 16, 2008 at 5:35 PM

If it isn’t fake, at least she didn’t say “Yes” to something she wasn’t ready for.

SouthernGent on February 16, 2008 at 5:40 PM

I think it could be a sham, too. Why didn’t he go after her? Whoever mentioned about her looking up at monitors or whatever was right…. this HAD to be staged. But hopefully this will put a stop to this stuff. Next, putting a stop to those eyesores on the side of the road when drunks and speed demons kill themselves and someone puts up crosses…. Arrrrrgh!

MNDavenotPC on February 16, 2008 at 5:48 PM

That prank war thing was BRUTAL. But whether this is fake or not, I’ve always thought there was no way I would say yes if I were the chick being proposed to in the middle of a resteraunt
let alone a ball game.

Bladerunner1701 on February 16, 2008 at 6:12 PM

Fake, and admittedly so by the people who made the video over two years ago.

Slow news day, AP? How about something on the
“Mike Bibby traded to Hawks for alien babies” story.

Mike D. on February 16, 2008 at 6:31 PM

they did this a few years ago – different people same idea

Bradky on February 16, 2008 at 6:34 PM

MNDavenotPC on February 16, 2008 at 5:48 PM

They’re usually for the drunks and speed demons’ victims…

Darth Executor on February 16, 2008 at 6:42 PM

If Mike D isn’t right, her looking up into the camera could simply have been an “OMG! He’s doing this to me on national TV? What a beta schmuck!”

eeyore on February 16, 2008 at 6:48 PM

Watch the video again. That’s a man, baby.

SpencerFan on February 16, 2008 at 7:58 PM

He dodged a bullet. Any woman who would humiliate her man in public like that would be a nightmare of a wife.

Bad Penny on February 16, 2008 at 8:15 PM

looks like she’s already got a rock on the ring finger?

John from OPFOR on February 16, 2008 at 8:25 PM

nevermind, wrong hand. giddy.

John from OPFOR on February 16, 2008 at 8:27 PM

Apparently she KNEW that a Beta Male in NO WAY EVEAH…..

Could handle those Bombastic Curves she has…….

awesum on February 16, 2008 at 8:31 PM

pilamaye

Hmmm…then how do you know so much about the WWE?

jgapinoy on February 16, 2008 at 8:31 PM

To all you HotAir posters who posted under this thread …

GREAT COMMENTS!!!!

Quite a few very funny quips appear under this thread, comments which made me laugh.

That reminded me of the WEC, or WWF, or whatever it is called, in which they have staged arguments, and staged “surprises” and so on.

Thanks guys and gals for the laughs!

William2006 on February 16, 2008 at 8:59 PM

Amazing that this guy could be so damn stupid and so damn lucky at the same instant. He’ll understand this in a few years.

RedWinged Blackbird on February 16, 2008 at 9:10 PM

What would have been great is if she bitch slapped him in the face and then stormed off the floor! That would be funny. This is so fake!

Egfrow on February 16, 2008 at 9:13 PM

Very bad acting. The two people had never even met! Trust me.

bluestater on February 16, 2008 at 10:00 PM

Very bad acting. The two people had never even met! Trust me.

bluestater on February 16, 2008 at 10:00 PM

I trust you on this one. We concur. It was so fake, so artificial, that it gave me a cavity.

Which is more unbearable, watching Hillary cry on cue, or watching that phony, staged “marriage proposal?”

William2006 on February 16, 2008 at 10:13 PM

“Watch the video again. That’s a man, baby.

SpencerFan on February 16, 2008 at 7:58 PM”

Say WHAT?
She’s definitely going to be able to pull something better than Jo Jo there. Very nice sweater.

pc on February 16, 2008 at 10:52 PM

Quisp on February 16, 2008 at 5:33 PM

Have you seen the whole series? That Amir guy always crosses a line with his escalations, and always seems to regret what he’s done afterwards; also note, they haven’t aired another one since that ballgame, although the two of them do still work together, apparently.

Frozen Tex on February 16, 2008 at 11:11 PM

I can’t find it on YouTube, but Jamie Kennedy did a hilarious bit similar to this. He “proposed” to his girl friend while sitting in the stands with the whole arena watching him. She acted shocked, said no, and ran out. He sat there dejected, so they let him come down to the floor to shoot free throws for free tickets or something. He proceeded to meltdown while on the floor while everybody was watching. Then he stood up and announced to the whole arena that they’d all been “Xed” or pranked. Maybe that was the inspiration for this stunt.

Mallard T. Drake on February 16, 2008 at 11:13 PM

I desperately wanted this to not be fake, but I must bow to reality.

The public proposal is a terrible thing to do to a woman. Schmucks who do this aren’t being romantic, they’re being manipulative by bringing a crowd into the decision-making process. I know a woman who was pressured by applause into accepting a proposal, and she was unhappy throughout the entire engagement. But bad on her, too, for letting the crowd decide for her.

James on February 17, 2008 at 12:35 AM

I think this is real. I saw this happen at a Caps game in 2000. As she was saying “No” you could read her lips on the jumbotron saying “You can’t ask me any better than this?”

I feel bad for the guy, but the asking in public thing has always left me cold.

Wrlss911Pro on February 17, 2008 at 1:09 AM

12thman – I’d have thought you would have proposed at Kyle Field (grin)…

golfer1 on February 17, 2008 at 9:07 AM

Thank her dude. She just saved you thousands in lawyer costs and division of property!

saved on February 17, 2008 at 9:39 AM

She just looked to me like she was hoping someone in the audience would save her. Maybe Allen Funt was going to run out onto the court.

Tanya on February 17, 2008 at 9:42 AM

SHE is a HE.

Connie on February 17, 2008 at 11:18 AM

James on February 17, 2008 at 12:35 AM

There are some women who would like that type of crowd attention. I’m not one of them, and I don’t know why a guy would want to marry one of them (see previous threads on the horrors of being tied to a narcissistic b!tch) but there ya go.

My husband asked me over the phone, saying he knew he should do it in person but he just couldn’t wait to know. (I had known for a couple of weeks he was going to ask, but apparently he didn’t until about 10 minutes before he called.)

Quisp on February 17, 2008 at 11:28 AM

right.

bigbeas on February 17, 2008 at 2:25 PM

Dude looks like a lady

Buttercup on February 17, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Fake. But the mascot is funny!

HotAirExpert on February 17, 2008 at 7:43 PM

Wait isn’t that the ugly kid on Entourage?

HotAirExpert on February 17, 2008 at 7:45 PM

Brains scored a 3 pointer vs. a zero for ego.

MSGTAS on February 18, 2008 at 8:14 AM