Cartoon riot: Denial isn’t just a river in Denmark

posted at 9:15 am on February 15, 2008 by Bryan

We’ve arrived at the second anniversary of the Cartoon Jihad, which started when a Danish imam generated controversy over 12 Danish political cartoons plus a few that he faked. There are riots in Copenhagen, complete with French-style car burnings. Yet the police chief doesn’t know why people are rioting.

“We’ve had six arrests so far. They’ve been charged with throwing stones at police and setting fires to cars and waste containers,” Chief Inspector Henrik Olesen of the Copenhagen police told AFP.

At least 11 cars were torched in various neighbourhoods of Copenhagen, and 10 others in the nearby town of Kokkedal.

On Thursday, 17 youths were arrested for rioting the previous night.

“We don’t know why they’re rioting. I think it’s because they’re bored. Some people say it’s because of the cartoons but that’s not my opinion,” Olesen said.

Nothing to see here…

(AFP photo)

Update (AP): When I glanced at the story last night I figured they were reacting to the Danish papers republishing the turban-bomb cartoon in solidarity with Kurt Westergaard. But that didn’t happen until Wednesday and the riots have been going on for five days. What’s it all about, Alfie?

Update (AP): What’s it like for Westergaard these days? Ask a guy who knows:

For the past three months Kurt and his wife have been moving from house to house. In early November, they had a few hours to collect their most necessary belongings before they were driven to a safe location. They had to leave their car at home because the police wanted to create the impression that Kurt and Gitte were still living in the house. The mail was collected, garbage was removed, and an agent who physically resembled Kurt was installed in the house. This was done in case the plotters were to execute their plans to kill Kurt.

In the middle of December Kurt and Gitte returned to their house for just one day to celebrate Christmas with their family.

Comments

“I think it’s because they’re bored. Some people say it’s because of the cartoons but that’s not my opinion,” Olesen said.

Bored
? Normal kids play video games or hang out with friends if they’re “bored”. They don’t riot, torch cars, and burn buildings to the ground.

amerpundit on February 15, 2008 at 9:21 AM

Enough with the preliminaries already. Lets get to the main event. I’ve got money riding on this.

rockhauler on February 15, 2008 at 9:22 AM

Chief Inspector Henrik Olesen (who studied at the Berzerkly Police Academy) was heard commenting, “And stop calling me ‘Dude.’”

davidk on February 15, 2008 at 9:28 AM

Been to Kopenhagen. Looked kinda old. Better to burn it down. Maybe erect tents afterwards.

JiangxiDad on February 15, 2008 at 9:29 AM

I wonder if that police chief is in pain. Because it seems to me that having your head shoved up your ass like that must hurt.

thekingtut on February 15, 2008 at 9:30 AM

Hey. Here’s a solution. The Danish crown prince is getting married in May. Maybe he ought to ditch his bride in favor of a Muslim girl. Would work for those English princes too. Does the caliphate have to be restored in the Middle-East? What’s wrong with Europe? Discrimination if you ask me.

JiangxiDad on February 15, 2008 at 9:35 AM

The police chief is paralyzed by the multiculturalism virus.

As far as the muslim rioters go … they don’t seem to understand the cartoons were drawn in response to the death and destruction committed by muslims to begin with.

darwin on February 15, 2008 at 9:39 AM

Reprinting the cartoons was, I’ve read, done in solidarity with the foiled death plot against the original cartoonist. Perhaps the rioting is due to the failure of that plot.

At any rate, culturist profiling is appropriate. If we have a certain immigrant group whose youth are rioting, it makes sense to not admit more of that ethnic group into your country.

Western thinking is too individualistic. Members of cultures behaving in the same way and ways which are not consonant with Western rules of civil society are not unrelated; they have to do with culture.

How can this police chief not have any clue about the source of this; its the culture stupid!!

culturism on February 15, 2008 at 9:46 AM

I know that every time I get bored, I cure the blahs with a delightful Ford inferno…geez, people willfully deny what the cause is even they know very well what is going on.

I know the left intentionally keeps silent about the dangers of Islam out of fear, but the attacks have already started – Denmark might as well call a spade a spade.

Grafted on February 15, 2008 at 10:12 AM

I’m bored. hehehe

p40tiger on February 15, 2008 at 10:25 AM

Maybe someone should draw a cartoon of the police chief and see if that sparks anything in him.

darwin on February 15, 2008 at 10:42 AM

“Youts”

It’s always “youts.”

drjohn on February 15, 2008 at 10:44 AM

Deport them back to their country of origin.

Kini on February 15, 2008 at 12:37 PM

One theory as to why they started rioting is that the government decided to expel two of the guys who were arrested for plotting to kill Westergaard. The two are Tunisian citizens.

xyan on February 15, 2008 at 3:57 PM