Video: Suicide vests don’t kill people, people kill people

posted at 9:12 pm on February 14, 2008 by Allahpundit

Two targets in this one, with most of the laughs provided by the goofs on jihadi culture, such as it is. I don’t know who the guy is who plays the AQ operative but his deadpan is magnifique. Although the idea of a mujahid panelist on one of these inane cable chat shows is just plausible enough to provide moments of discomfort.

In The Know: New Iraqi Law Requires Waiting Period For Suicide Vest Purchases

Comments

hilarious – you’re right – the middle eastern guy is terrific.

darkegop on February 14, 2008 at 9:18 PM

I know they lean pretty far left, but The Onion rules.

flipflop on February 14, 2008 at 9:24 PM

They’ll probably try to slip in an “Expolding Vest Show” exemption…

Loved the idea of having them go to a range and demonstrate they know how to use one propoerly. Hilarious!

FloridaBill on February 14, 2008 at 9:27 PM

Ok, that was pretty funny, but how annoying is it that the WSJ reporter (presumably the conservative) is nodding along with the AQ guy. Sigh. But still funny.

TX Mom on February 14, 2008 at 9:27 PM

I smell Onions!

Second Amendment Right to own a Bomb Vest!

Why does the middle eastern guy sound like he’s from East Orange New Jersey?

Kini on February 14, 2008 at 9:34 PM

AllahPundit Hot Air is the gift that just keeps giving and
to quote Rush Limbaugh”More fun than Human being should be
allowed to have”,I think thats how he says it.

But this is funny as h!LL,I hope they move to ban cars
and trucks too,wait maybe all the sharp pointy things as
well,LOL!

No wonder Liberals are unglued,I would love to see their
comments on this video!

canopfor on February 14, 2008 at 9:37 PM

HA!

ColdBore76 on February 14, 2008 at 9:38 PM

It’s a great Onion piece. My favorite Onion bit with that actor was this one. He was great as an AQ spokesman who is upset about delays to rebuild the World Trade Center. Check it out.

Snake307 on February 14, 2008 at 9:39 PM

Sands Of Passion needs a scene like this!

canopfor on February 14, 2008 at 9:40 PM

the valentine’s one was pretty funny too; especially the guy’s comment at the end.

lorien1973 on February 14, 2008 at 9:40 PM

When suicide vests are outlawed, only outlaws will have suicide vests!

imshocked on February 14, 2008 at 9:51 PM

That’s funny. This isn’t.

President Daniel Ortega, who led the 1979 revolution in Nicaragua, says Barack Obama’s presidential bid is a “revolutionary” phenomenon in the United States.

“It’s not to say that there is already a revolution under way in the U.S. … but yes, they are laying the foundations for a revolutionary change,” the Sandinista leader said Wednesday night as he accepted an honorary doctorate from an engineering university.

Ortega led a Soviet-backed government that battled U.S.-supported Contra rebels before he lost power in a 1990 election. He returned to office last year via the ballot box…

Ortega also called Obama a spokesman for the millions of Central American and Mexican citizens who migrate to the U.S. in search of work, though polls indicate most Latino voters so far have favored Clinton over Obama.

amerpundit on February 14, 2008 at 9:51 PM

The Onion does some excellent stuff.

My ALL TIME fav is this one

Too funny!

Talon on February 14, 2008 at 9:52 PM

Bombvest – deadpan? Oxymoron

Kini on February 14, 2008 at 9:55 PM

Kerosene soaked American flags might
be more dangerous than the suicide
vest,haha who knew!

canopfor on February 14, 2008 at 10:07 PM

I was all set to laugh heartily, but it just sounded like moral equivalence between the right to bear arms and terror. Seems like a John Kerry “joke” here. Either way though, yeah the AQ op is killer.

Spirit of 1776 on February 14, 2008 at 10:12 PM

“They can have my suicide vest when they pick the pieces of it up from amongst the remains of the the retarded woman that I… Uh, never mind.”

29Victor on February 14, 2008 at 10:18 PM

The deadpan comic also played al-Qaeda spokesman in the NYT reconstruction story. I remember faces.

Beagle on February 14, 2008 at 10:24 PM

Spirit of 1776 on February 14, 2008 at 10:12 PM

I’m with you on that. I was sitting there racking my poor none-too-swift brain, trying to figure out who or what was being lampooned here. a) Suicide bombers? b) NRA spokespeople? c) Morally brain-dead media talking heads? d) Islamo-fascist nut-jobs? e) All of the above? I’m still leaning towards e, but the Onion usually has a specific target in mind, and given there track record, it would be b.

smellthecoffee on February 14, 2008 at 10:28 PM

Phew! I’m glad AP posted that.

I saw it a few days ago and thought it was brilliant deadpan parody, but at the same time I began to think there was something wrong with me for finding it funny.

Talon on February 14, 2008 at 9:52 PM

Thanks for that!

Buy Danish on February 14, 2008 at 10:39 PM

After David Shuster they’re afraid to come right out and say it takes a village to make a suicied vest. Hillary’s gaining momentum somewhere.

snaggletoothie on February 15, 2008 at 12:12 AM

Sorry, I found it disgusting that they equate defense with terror. It is not lampooning, it’s twisting one thing to make it look like another, so as to further a devious agenda.

OldEnglish on February 15, 2008 at 3:12 AM

TX Mom on February 14, 2008 at 9:27 PM

Yeah, they use all the arguments for gun ownership and misplace them to make them sound ridiculous.

OldEnglish on February 15, 2008 at 3:12 AM

That needed to be said again.

samuelrylander on February 15, 2008 at 7:18 AM

Spirit of 1776 on February 14, 2008 at 10:12 PM
OldEnglish on February 15, 2008 at 3:12 AM
samuelrylander on February 15, 2008 at 7:18 AM

Ditto.

srhoades on February 15, 2008 at 7:39 AM

twisting one thing to make it look like another

OldEnglish on February 15, 2008 at 3:12 AM

Um yeah that’s pretty much the definition of parody. Lighten up!!!

A pundit-like individual making comments such as “If you have a suicide vest, get the the range and prove you know how to use it” is humorous.

highhopes on February 15, 2008 at 8:16 AM

Um yeah that’s pretty much the definition of parody. Lighten up!!!

highhopes on February 15, 2008 at 8:16 AM

My understanding of parody is imitation in an exaggerated manner, such as Monty Python’s “Ministry of Silly Walks”. This was a blatant attempt to liken gun owners to terrorists. Sadly, many of those who watch such shows will go along with the comparison because it was presented in a clever fashion.

OldEnglish on February 15, 2008 at 9:35 AM

Don’t give them to children because they’re too short and the shrapnel can’t do as much damage.

Hilarious stuff :)

LimeyGeek on February 15, 2008 at 10:16 AM

OldEnglish on February 15, 2008 at 9:35 AM

I picked up on that too, but overall I thought it was some well crafted satire.

LimeyGeek on February 15, 2008 at 10:17 AM

That was absolutely hysterical. The Onion does it again.

ihasurnominashun on February 15, 2008 at 11:50 AM

OldEnglish on February 15, 2008 at 9:35 AM

I completely disagree. I think it points out the idiocy of the gun control argument when used in reference to another subject. Excellent use of parody.

ihasurnominashun on February 15, 2008 at 11:52 AM

I can’t agree with “teh funny theory” here. The Onion used to be great, not it sounds more and more like it’s targeted at people who think “The Daily Show” is news.

You know, morons.