Video: Chris Matthews gets a “thrill up his leg”

posted at 8:43 am on February 13, 2008 by Bryan

MSNBC’s Chris Matthews has an “objective” assessment of hearing Barack Obama speak, and it comes in the form of a thrill up his leg. I guess Matthews has got a fevah and the only cure is More Barack. Or, he might have restless leg syndrome. Whatever ails him, you know you have a problem when Keith “Salivary Comment” Olbermann hears what you’re saying and tries to steady you.

MATTHEWS: I have to tell you, you know, it’s part of reporting this case, this election, the feeling most people get when they hear Barack Obama’s speech. My, I felt this thrill going up my leg. I mean, I don’t have that too often. No, seriously. It’s a dramatic event. He speaks about America in a way that has nothing to do with politics. It has to do with the feeling we have about our country. And that is an objective assessment.

My objective assessment of Obama’s speech last night was that he let his inner radical slip out. There were no thrills to be found crawling up my leg, but a chill definitely went down my spine.

Comments

I forced myself to watch MSNBC this morning, I have not seen a network so pro one candidate in my life.

KBird on February 13, 2008 at 8:47 AM

Can he get any more pathetic?

Big Orange on February 13, 2008 at 8:48 AM

Which leg?

bloggless on February 13, 2008 at 8:48 AM

The sad thing is that these are political commentators who have never heard politicians speak positively about this great country. . . the greatest country in the history of the planet.

Matthews only knows negative politics. Presidential politics is supposed to be about the future and hope for the future. That these guys are ‘amazed’ at a politician speaking glowingly about this country speaks volumes about our politicians and political system.

Obama isn’t doing anything revolutionary, he’s just not spending his time hatefully deriding his competition. Presidential politics is supposed to be a positive view of the future. Obama must be the first D to ever speak of the future like that.

It is a shame that there aren’t really any good orators in this country. Obama is good, but he ain’t that good. He just doesn’t have anyone to compare him to what with the ‘we’re going to tell the bigots to shut up. . . et al’.

ThackerAgency on February 13, 2008 at 8:48 AM

Why isn’t Obama talking about American torture, or Guantanamo, or the evil Cheney, or the awful awful military, or Bush the devil? Because that’s not what presidents are supposed to do. . . that’s not what politicians are supposed to do. But that’s all that the left has done over the past 40 years.

ThackerAgency on February 13, 2008 at 8:51 AM

er……I’m still trying to identify one of my ‘objective’ feelings. Can’t seem to find one.

Limerick on February 13, 2008 at 8:53 AM

I’m a conservative that is NOT happy about McCain. I listened to Obama last night and we may not like what is coming but it is coming. This guy is positive, fun, energetic and compared with McCain there is no choice! I will vote for Obama knowing what we are going to get before I cast a vote for McCain! I am no longer a Republican and have no more loyalty to their candidate! They left me 8 years ago…

sabbott on February 13, 2008 at 8:55 AM

Which leg?

bloggless on February 13, 2008 at 8:48 AM

I’m guessing the third one by the sound of Chrissie’s breathless speech. Why doesn’t he just put his face in Obama’s lap and get it over with? It’s a douche chill moment whenever he talks about the man.

RWLA on February 13, 2008 at 8:56 AM

Talk is cheap. Talk can be just ‘Hot Air.’

Talk is what it is: Talk

Lot of people can be fooled by smooth talk, even the so-called “pundits.”

In fact, it has been said that Muhammad, the “prophet” of Islam was a smooth talker.

Muhammad founded his bloody cult by talking smoothly. People believed his lies.

Nowadays, people are believing Barack Hussein smooth…lies.

Do you see now what Islam did and is doing to the non-Muslims?

Can you see where Hussein will “lead” this country if those fools vote for him?

See, there are many ways to fool people, one of them is to brainwash them.

Muhammad did it. Hussein is doing it.

Indy Conservative on February 13, 2008 at 9:00 AM

The “thrill” was probably running down his leg!

coldshot on February 13, 2008 at 9:02 AM

Matthews is a political parasite and fool. He’s right, Obama doesn’t speak about politics; he speaks about establishing a socialist, nanny state and redistributing the wealth accumulated by hard working Americans. Only on MSNBC could this hair brain continue to utter his mindless babble.

rplat on February 13, 2008 at 9:03 AM

I think he stepped on an ungrounded wire and thought it was a message from the Messiah himself.

funky chicken on February 13, 2008 at 9:04 AM

I felt this thrill going up my leg.

Ewww! C’mon, Chris…keep your man-crush to yourself.

Are there no objective journalists left?

flipflop on February 13, 2008 at 9:04 AM

sabbott on February 13, 2008 at 8:55 AM

So, because McCain may be a flawed candidate, you’re going to vote for the socialist class warrior who talks about surrendering the war and raising taxes whilst the government takes over the health care industry and ends up making college even less affordable than it is now. And you’re going to call yourself a conservative even as you cast the vote for this?

Here’s a hint: if it’s “coming,” even though we “may not like it,” it might be because people like you are going to VOTE FOR HIM!

I’m not happy about McCain, either, but if ever there was a case for accepting the lesser of two evils, this is it. McCain will be a better president than Obama. Insisting otherwise, and even enabling Obama with a protest vote, is nothing more than preening jackassery.

Kensington on February 13, 2008 at 9:11 AM

2008 Presidential contest between Obama and McCain summed up in one line:

Deeds, not words

scottm on February 13, 2008 at 9:11 AM

Right on, Kensington . . . well stated.

rplat on February 13, 2008 at 9:13 AM

Kensington on February 13, 2008 at 9:11 AM

funky chicken on February 13, 2008 at 9:14 AM

There can be no doubt but that Koh would be a liberal activist of a stripe we haven’t seen since Brennan and Marshall. There can be no doubt that he’ll be at or near the top of the list in an Obama or Clinton presidency.

With the CPAC promise on the record, anybody who thinks John McCain would nominate Koh or anybody remotely near him on the ideological spectrum is suffering from such an extreme case of McCain derangement syndrome that they’re beyond the help of even modern pharmapsychology.
Stephen Bainbridge is the William D Warren Professor at the UCLA School of Law and blogs at http://www.ProfessorBainbridge.com

funky chicken on February 13, 2008 at 9:15 AM

Depending on the election outcome, Chris = Monica ??

brtex on February 13, 2008 at 9:16 AM

Post the video of what Pat Buchanan said about this today.

freedomplow on February 13, 2008 at 9:22 AM

My, I felt this thrill going up my leg. I mean, I don’t have that too often.

What a freaking weirdo! Happy Valentine’s Day, Mrs. Matthews.

Anyhoo, this nails it:

Buy Danish on February 13, 2008 at 9:25 AM

Somebody has to say it: He’s feeling a little funny in the pants.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on February 13, 2008 at 9:29 AM

didn’t he drool out of his mouth when talking about cheney…around a year ago?

jp on February 13, 2008 at 9:31 AM

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on February 13, 2008 at 9:29 AM

Nice. That should’ve been the headline.

Bryan on February 13, 2008 at 9:31 AM

Hey, Chris…a little Oxy Clean will take care of that.

James on February 13, 2008 at 9:35 AM

Its called a boner, Chris.

Jimmy the Dhimmi on February 13, 2008 at 9:36 AM

I guess Matthews as a man, is getting the feelings a woman feels when a man is about to close the deal. In this case you are only getting promises of a movie, candy, flowers and even a back rub. No way of ever getting them or even an attempt to explain how they could ever be delivered.

TroubledMonkey on February 13, 2008 at 9:41 AM

Is that a caucus in your pocket, or are you just happy to see Barak?

andycanuck on February 13, 2008 at 9:41 AM

Is he telling us he peed in his pants?

NoFanofLibs on February 13, 2008 at 9:43 AM

Eewwww! TMI! TMI! TMI!!!!!!

aero on February 13, 2008 at 9:44 AM

Bryan: good news from NRO

Goodbye Gilchrest [John J. Miller]
Rep. Wayne Gilchrest was the most liberal Republican to come from a congressional district that has voted for President Bush, according to the American Conservative Union’s ratings. Conservative challenger Andy Harris, a state senator, upset him yesterday. The results, according to the Maryland election board: Harris, 39.8 percent; Gilchrest, 35.6 percent; state senator E.J. Pipkin, who wound up not playing the spoiler role that some had predicted, 21.4 percent. My story on the race was published in NR a couple of issues ago and made available on NRO yesterday here.

02/13 05:28 AM

Good news for Conservatives, Bad for Incumbents [David Freddoso]
State Sen. Andy Harris (R) defeated moderate Rep. Wayne Gilchrest (R), who has for a long time been far too liberal for his Republican Eastern Shore district. Chalk up one more victory for the Club for Growth.

funky chicken on February 13, 2008 at 9:45 AM

Is he telling us he peed in his pants?

No, he creamed in his pants.

roninacreage on February 13, 2008 at 9:45 AM

I can only wonder what would have happened to Tweety’s loins had he heard Che give a fiery speech.

I don’t want to know.

benrand on February 13, 2008 at 9:46 AM

Is Matthews coming out and that he’s hot for Obama? WOW

dogsoldier on February 13, 2008 at 9:47 AM

To me, John Feingold-Kennedy-Hernandez McCain is a poster boy for what’s wrong with the Republican Party. For the last two general elections I have voted for the lesser of two evils, thinking that given a chance the Party would straighten itself out. Well eight fricken years later I’m being asked to hold my nose and vote Republican again? Nuts to that.

I’m a life-long conservative and I’ll not vote for a Liberal ANYBODY again. Todays Republican Party reminds me of an alchoholic that must first hit rock bottom before the healing can begin. So let me help them begin the healing.

Ernest on February 13, 2008 at 9:47 AM

I cant watch at work but you’re lying. You’ve got to be lying! HAHA! A thrill going up my leg omfg that’s too much. I love it.

Dash on February 13, 2008 at 9:48 AM

I think that crawled up his leg, and into his caucus.

right2bright on February 13, 2008 at 9:48 AM

Matthews, and all those near him, probably wish he would keep that big spit-spewing latte hole of his shut more often, especially when he has touchy-feely moments.

whitetop on February 13, 2008 at 9:48 AM

Guess he’ll need a pair of Obakneepads.

Wonder how long it will take for those to go on sale at his website. You know, in return for a charitable donation…

Darksean on February 13, 2008 at 9:50 AM

I don’t know why everyone here thinks that Chris Matthews wears pants or anything else down there while listening to Barack Hussein.

You guys have quite an imagination!

Indy Conservative on February 13, 2008 at 9:52 AM

Yeah that’s right. Let’s all hold our nose and vote for the less of two evils for the third general election in a row. It’ll all be better next time. Supporting John Feingold-Kennedy-Hernandez McCain is better than not supporting a Republican at all.

The party is what’s important, not conservatism.

Ernest on February 13, 2008 at 9:54 AM

♪ ♫ ♪ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♪ ♫ ♪♪ ♫ ♪

Hark!…Is that Barbara Streisand, I hear in the background?

heh

franksalterego on February 13, 2008 at 9:55 AM

I felt this thrill going up my leg.

I feel some bile rising up my throat.

ronsfi on February 13, 2008 at 10:05 AM

Of course he gets a thrill out of this. He’s now thinking that he’s going to get to fellate Obama in the WH instead of Hillary. C’mon, the thought of not having to fellate Hillary should thrill anyone.

Brass Pair on February 13, 2008 at 10:10 AM

That was a tick, Chris.

And I don’t mean a tic.

Political Lyme disease alert.

profitsbeard on February 13, 2008 at 10:11 AM

Let’s just go ahead and get an Obama presidency over with – he’ll be a one termer.

pullingmyhairout on February 13, 2008 at 10:11 AM

My, I felt this thrill going up my leg.

It was going down, you old drunkard, and it wasn’t a “thrill”, it was just your bladder voiding itself.

You would think that a habitual drunk would be familiar with that feeling by now.

Misha I on February 13, 2008 at 10:13 AM

While watching Matthews and Olby last night, I couldn’t help but think, “is this the news or just a bad Saturday Night Live skit?”

So I did what any logical, intelligent, clear-thinking citizen would do: I turned back to FOX.

Gartrip on February 13, 2008 at 10:14 AM

Ernest, no, the nation is more important than the conservative movement.

funky chicken on February 13, 2008 at 10:14 AM

And this is Oswama Obama’s total appeal: words without substance. No surprise that it would appeal to voters who think with their reproductive units and not their minds.

Potential voters, that is. Whether they vote depends on what’s on TV election day, what their astrological forecast tells them, and whether voting coincides with the length of their attention span.

Obama’s empty babble should be a wake-up call for the McCain bashers. Imagine eight years with him leading the religion country, and consider the damage he and his band of teary-eyed, tumescent zealots can do.

MrScribbler on February 13, 2008 at 10:15 AM

Why do I get the impression that it will be a cold frosty day in Hell before Shillary ever grants another interview to anyone from PMSNBC? This station is now so one-candidate only, it might as well re-christen itself TON: The Obama Network!

pilamaye on February 13, 2008 at 10:20 AM

Ants in his pants. Roach up his scrotum.

maverick muse on February 13, 2008 at 10:25 AM

Brass Pair on February 13, 2008 at 10:10 AM

Hell that was crude, man. Not a pleasant image in the morning.

Pax americana on February 13, 2008 at 10:25 AM

The most eloquent nothings I have ever heard. Good grief, does this B. Hussein Obama have a brain or is it all just empty space between those huge ears … And Mathews wets his pants, why?

No surprise it appeals to Democrats where substance was always hard for them.

tarpon on February 13, 2008 at 10:31 AM

That line used to have some traction — 16 friggin’ years ago.

Now it’s just the same old broken record being dragged out every single election. Not to mention that “the lesser of two evils” always seems to be less and less, er, “lesser” with every election season.

No sale.

Misha I on February 13, 2008 at 10:40 AM

Ernest, no, the nation is more important than the conservative movement.

funky chicken on February 13, 2008 at 10:14 AM

I appreciate your concern but I don’t see 1. How John Feingold-Kennedy-Hernandez McCain is good for this Nation. and 2. how rewarding bad choices by the Republican Party is good for this Nation or the Republican Party. And frankly, the jerk isn’t going to win anyway. Heck we can’t even get republicans interested enough to turn out for the primaries. We’re sloping a poor candidate up against an invigorated Democratic Presidential drive. Nope, I’m sitting this fiasco out.

Ernest on February 13, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Misha I on February 13, 2008 at 10:40 AM

I hear you. It’s like we started with the top layer of silt at the bottom of the barrel and have been steadily descending ever since.

If it wasn’t for the clear & present danger of such a vile incompetent as Obama, I’d celebrate the opportunity for the GOP to spend 4-8 years in the wild.

LimeyGeek on February 13, 2008 at 10:46 AM

Cue Obligatory Line About Supreme Court Appointments in 5…4…3…2…

Misha I on February 13, 2008 at 10:46 AM

Ditto.

The silver lining here is: He’s incompetent. He can blather and bloviate all he wants, but the President still doesn’t get to propose and pass legislation.

Misha I on February 13, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Ernest on February 13, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Your despondency is entirely understandable. I find it darkly hilarious that ‘conservatives’ slam folks for “sitting it out” or voting Dem in resignation. It’s such a farcical position, like the ship sinking so fast and yet calling people “fsckers” for refusing to bail it out with thimbles.

Defeating Obama really is my only motivating factor. That’s a sickeningly pathetic position to be in – and the fault lies entirely at the feet of the GOP.

LimeyGeek on February 13, 2008 at 10:51 AM

Four years of Obama could take conservatives 30 years to correct, if ever. Talk radio will be shut down, corporations will be labled as patriotic if they are unionized and pay at least 60 percent of a family’s health insurance. They will be given extra tax breaks for being patriotic. Small business, the back bone of our economy, will be labeled unpatriotic and miss out on tax breaks in a Obama administration. Obama will be the beginning of the end.

bopbottle on February 13, 2008 at 10:52 AM

the President still doesn’t get to propose and pass legislation

Of course. However, the same sycophantic preening, white guilt, and victimocracy, will impose huge pressure on congress to enact his will.

LimeyGeek on February 13, 2008 at 10:53 AM

I’ve watched televised speeches of his, and I really, really don’t get the deal with this guy. Yeah, he’s charismatic and all, but looking at the raptured faces (particularly of women) in the audience you’d think it was some sort of old fashioned religious revival, complete with curing blindness and making the lame walk again.

Half the time he talks about how great his campaign and supporters are, the other half he spouts platitudes about “change”. Maybe I’m just an over-analytical SOB, but I just don’t get the appeal as a candidate.

Hollowpoint on February 13, 2008 at 11:01 AM

And what would Chris and Olby have said if O’Reilly had said this about a Republican candidate?

revolutionismyname on February 13, 2008 at 11:07 AM

I’m just thankful he was sitting down when that thrill went up his leg. Just plain gross.

Torch on February 13, 2008 at 11:19 AM

andycanuck on February 13, 2008 at 9:41 AM

HaHaHa Nice!

I don’t wanna know what’s gonna happen if Chrissy stays over in the Lincoln bedroom during the Obama administration.

ihasurnominashun on February 13, 2008 at 11:34 AM

Hmm. Does getting a “thrill up his leg” mean he’s also “light in his loafers” for Obama?

Master Shake on February 13, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Master Shake on February 13, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Maybe the thrill up his leg caused him to widen his stance

LimeyGeek on February 13, 2008 at 11:37 AM

The problem here is that it isn’t going to be the GOP which suffers, it’s going to be the entire country, even if the idiots who vote for Obama can’t see that.

Kensington on February 13, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Misha I on February 13, 2008 at 10:40 AM

Great! That kind of stubbornness, the refusal to face the fact that an Obama presidency will hurt the country more than the alternative, is right out of the John McCain playbook.

Soon the McCain refuseniks and other protest voters will start calling themselves Mavericks, too, I’ll bet.

Kensington on February 13, 2008 at 12:12 PM

The first time I had that feeling go up my leg, when I was necking/petting with my future wife over forty years ago. I still have the same thrill go up my leg when we neck/pet to this day.. HMMMMMMMM???

pueblo1032 on February 13, 2008 at 12:18 PM

Anyone seen where Olbermand hands are?

Kini on February 13, 2008 at 12:27 PM

Kensington on February 13, 2008 at 12:12 PM

King Canut thought he could command the tide.

LimeyGeek on February 13, 2008 at 12:28 PM

Erin Burnett probably walked in.

RobCon on February 13, 2008 at 12:41 PM

You gotta give it to Obama, or to his mojo: there aren’t too many things that dare go up Chris Matthews’ legs.

Tzetzes on February 13, 2008 at 12:58 PM

Matthews is exactly right – OB does have nothing to do with poilitics, which is about specifics on how, as Aristotle put it, we are to order our lives together. OB is all about the feelings.

MarkJudge on February 13, 2008 at 1:26 PM

What’s really creepy is the fact that Matthews wrote ” Mr. Christopher Matthews-Obama” all over his Trapper Keeper.

Dork B. on February 13, 2008 at 1:28 PM

Chris “My pants are tight” Matthews…

max1 on February 13, 2008 at 1:32 PM

“I can’t eat, I can’t sleep,
All of a sudden I got witches in my feet”

mojo on February 13, 2008 at 1:50 PM

Little Crissie sounds like he’s got an itch and the only one to scratch it is Obama. What a horny hack.

Jungliszt on February 13, 2008 at 2:22 PM

bopbottle on February 13, 2008 at 10:52 AM

And that’s just in the first week! After that, it gets much WORSE! Something about seas of blood, raining frogs and horsemen. Oh, and he’ll make the sun go nova too! Three weeks into the job, right after tea.

Keep it up. It’s actually beginning to get quite amusing.

Misha I on February 13, 2008 at 2:25 PM

I used to be able to tell whether it was AP or Bryan without looking because Allah seemed more cynical and prone to parodies. Lately that line seems to be getting blurred. Not saying that’s a bad thing, just saying I’m noticing some change (next up is hope) from Bryan. Maybe it’s just me.

OneGyT on February 13, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Chrissy, it was Olberman’s hand.

Chuck Schick on February 13, 2008 at 5:48 PM