Latino super delegate slams Hillary for firing Latina campaign manager

posted at 1:24 pm on February 12, 2008 by Bryan

You can live by identity politics and attract blocs of voters who are basically competing for various political spoils. They may and often will disagree on specific platform, proposals and first principles, but if you can keep them happy and keep them from competing over the same slices of the pie that you intend to carve up, you can build some power. That has more or less been the way the Democrat party has operated for decades now.

As Hillary Clinton is learning, you can also die by identity politics. She’s facing some blowback from a Latino super delegate for firing “Latina Queena” Patti Solis Doyle and replacing her with longtime HRC loyalist Maggie Williams.

The e-mail from, Steven Ybarra, a California superdelegate who heads the voting-rights committee of the DNC Hispanic Caucus, was sent to fellow caucus members in the hours after word broke that Solis Doyle – the most prominent Latina in Clinton’s campaign – would be replaced by another close Clinton loyalist, Maggie Williams, who is black.

The e-mail noted that Clinton, who is looking to Latino voters for a boost in the Texas and Ohio primaries on March 4, scored heavily with Hispanics in her California win.

“Apparently, loyalty is not a two-way street,” he wrote. “Latino superdelegates like myself . . . will have cause to pause.”

Ybarra told The Post yesterday that the loss of Solis Doyle, a child of Mexican immigrants, just weeks before the Texas primary, where 36 percent of the population is Hispanic, was “dumb as a stump.”

It would be nice if Ybarra and for that matter Hillary herself could learn to look past identity politics and make their decisions based on character and competence. Clinton isn’t running her campaign that way, though, choosing instead to run it based on personal loyalty and gender preferences. That’s a glimpse of the kind of administration she would have in the unlikely event that she can overtake Obama to win the nomination. I doubt Obama will be any more free of identity-based attacks like Ybarra’s than Hillary would.

Comments

Ay caramba!

JayHaw Phrenzie on February 12, 2008 at 1:26 PM

File under “Hoo, Boo Freakin’.”

thirteen28 on February 12, 2008 at 1:29 PM

In a matter of weeks, Hillary will be the new Ted Kennedy. She’ll be forever ostracized as a almost presidential quality politician who will be relegated in being the party hack who is forever pissed at the world. Life is great.

THE CHOSEN ONE on February 12, 2008 at 1:29 PM

How much longer before those Michigan and Florida delegates are re-instated to give Clinton back some of the lead that is slipping away?

highhopes on February 12, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Obama would fire a Mexican and scapegoat her for HIS failure. He won’t tell Black people the truth, that we are undercutting them in the job market. Viva Obama!!

Theworldisnotenough on February 12, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Was Doyle fired? The spin that came out of the Clinton camp is that is a mutual separation. Something to the effect that Doyle was sapped for energy and needed the break.

My opinion is that Ybarra had no intention of voting Clinton and is using this as an opportunity to throw some more gas on the fire.

For what its worth.

natesnake on February 12, 2008 at 1:30 PM

MLK Jr was RIGHT, when are people going to get that? The dem’s are so blinded by all the liberal guilt that they try to subjugate their constituents with, they can’t see that they are really the pandering prejudiced bigots.

JustTruth101 on February 12, 2008 at 1:30 PM

IMO, she is finished. Obama is mopping the floor with her. I think people are sooo tired of the “clinton Machine” they would vote for anybody. (they have) I know the clinton machine is far from finished but even they can overcome only so much. Don’t get me wrong, I cant stand the Clintons and I’d like to see them finished once and for all but Obama scares me much more than Hillary.

kcd on February 12, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Barak faces the same problem. Democrats are build upon as base of all minorities with white Liberals joining them all todgether. Barak tilts that dangerously to one side and the other groups will feel left out.

William Amos on February 12, 2008 at 1:33 PM

Oh but wait!!! Don’t forget about this little gift box for the hispanic community from Bill Clinton on behalf of his pandering wife:

D2Boston on February 12, 2008 at 1:33 PM

highhopes on February 12, 2008 at 1:30 PM

She did say she would take that to court if it came down to it.

kcd on February 12, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Why do Communists always engage in class warfare?

OhEssYouCowboys on February 12, 2008 at 1:34 PM

I wonder if Drudge was somehow able to “narrative meme hack” this. He was the one who really emphasized her race. It’s illustrated pretty plainly on this archive page.

He links to a profile in Latina magazine which has nothing to do with the story and then links to the story showing her leaving.

ninjapirate on February 12, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Hillary should have a campaign managerial board that…”looks like America”, excuse me, los Estados Unidos.

CP on February 12, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Replacing a Latina with a black female. Dang! This isn’t going well. Is Rush still going to have a fundraiser for Hillary, or is it too late? Sounds like the superdelegates are also getting a bit frisky and straying off the reservation. I sense disaster lurking.

a capella on February 12, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Maggie Williams, eh?

I hate to link to HuffPo, but I don’t have time to find a better link. Remember Vince Foster’s files?

For an idealist like Maggie Williams, maybe the first lady was the embodiment of the mission, the only means at hand through which the ends she believed in could be achieved. But one thing led to another. And allegations that she removed Vince Foster’s files were followed by allegations that she sold access to Johnny Chung — until this past week, she found herself trying to jerry-fit her fund-raising involvement into the nobility of her once-worthy hopes.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on February 12, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Why do Communists always engage in class warfare?

OhEssYouCowboys on February 12, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Because they need the votes of the majority. Just say, 80% of the country’s voters made over 250,000 per year. The dims would then be screeching, I’ll cut taxes, I’ll give you incentives to invest, etc. etc. What it boils down to is, they have to keep ALL of the people from uniting. Young, old, rich, poor. If they can grow resentment in the majority toward another class, they win votes.

kcd on February 12, 2008 at 1:41 PM

It would mean the end of the Democratic party. The whole thing is nothing but a collection of special interests groups. Feminists, Blacks, Latinos, and Unions make up its core.

TheBigOldDog on February 12, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Race / cultural origins trumps all with WAY too many people.

“You just fired me because my parents came from Mexico”

If citizens of the USA would just think of themselves as Americans rather than something else, or some kind of hyphenated thing… with the other than American part being first, we wouldn’t have 1/4 the problems we do now.

Signed:
A proud Celto-Pictish-American (with a tiny bit of Saxon thrown in.)

LegendHasIt on February 12, 2008 at 1:43 PM

kcd on February 12, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Actually, my question was rhetorical and meant to point out the hypocrisy of this country’s Communist candidates.

That hypocrisy is twofold:

1. The proponents of the classless society engage in class warfare.

2. Candidates Clinton and Obama are rich, Communists.

P.S. [addendum] The Cuban/Che flag, openly and notoriously displayed in an Obama campaign headquarters, is objective evidence – and, I have yet to see anything about it on any “news” channel – including Fox News.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 12, 2008 at 1:50 PM

Everyone ought to cross over to prop up the Hildebeest. I’m gonna reregister as a Dem to vote for her in PA.

doubleplusundead on February 12, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Dibs, anyone, on how long she remains a US Senator after Barry mops the floor with her?

She gets no 2nd chance at POTUS. She’s what, 60 or 61 years old now? At 64 or 65, she won’t be anymore photogenic.

I don’t think she’s going to remain a party hack. I think she’ll pick up her marbles, go home, and finally divorce Bubba.

I give her one, two…maybe outside of six months before she quits the Senate after Barry becomes the Dem nominee.

Shirotayama on February 12, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Obama better hope the world remains relatively calm like it has for the past six months. One little incident here or there and his six point lead over Mav is bye-bye.

THE CHOSEN ONE on February 12, 2008 at 1:54 PM

It hit me this morning… I think 2004 will go down as the last year that the Democratic Party nominates a white male to be it’s Presidential candidate. From now on it’s all-minorities all-the-time, especially if they win.

Look at the current front runers – a woman and a black man and not one spectacular achievement between the two. Not even an average piece of legislation. And now in-fighting between multiple groups of minorities. The Dems are in much worse shape than we are. If we had gone to a brokered convention, it’d be a battle of ideas. If they go to a brokered convention, it’s going to be all these minority groups – women, blacks, latinos, etc., jockeying for position. It’ll be a full-on implosion, and I don’t think they’ll be able to completely recover.

Their only hope is for one of these two to lock up the nomination now, and I don’t see Obama being able to completely get rid of the Clinton machine. It’s gonna be a mess, and it’s gonna be entertaining. The effects of Political Correctness have finally, finally come home to roost! We may be going to hell in a handbasket, but it’s gonna be fun to watch!

crazy_legs on February 12, 2008 at 1:58 PM

It has the potential to be the perfect storm for them. It all depends how nasty it gets. If it does, and it looks like it will, we may look back on it as the beginning of the end of this incarnation of the Democratic part. Unfortunately the Republicans are very poorly positioned to take advantage of it.

TheBigOldDog on February 12, 2008 at 2:03 PM

Weren’t Latinos the reason she won NV and CA, and weren’t they going to be her ticket to winning TX? After all, white males are splitting evenly, and white women wouldn’t be enough to give her TX. So if Barack can win over disgruntled Latinos who are crestfallen at one of their own being stripped of that royal role of campaign manager, he’d pretty much have the nomination nailed!

Sweet!

infidelpride on February 12, 2008 at 2:08 PM

this is so awesome. I love watching them fall own their own sword.

p0s3r on February 12, 2008 at 2:11 PM

I wonder if Hillary will bother staying in the senate when it becomes apparent that she’ll never be president. Everyone knows she only became a senator as a stepping-stone to running for president. She has no real interest in “serving” NY or in being one of many relatively powerless monkeys in the legislature for the rest of her life. It’s top banana or nothing, I’m guessing. I think she’ll retire at the end of her next term and go write books or whatever else makes a has-been politician richer.

aero on February 12, 2008 at 2:20 PM

Aero,

Thought I’d just said that.

Shirotayama on February 12, 2008 at 2:24 PM

doubleplusundead on February 12, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Doubleplus, I really REALLY disagree with the folks who plan to crossover and vote for her thinking Mav McLame is guaranteed to beat her in the general. I truly don’t want for her to even GET to the general and risk taking the chance.

Barry’s not any less of a libby but I simply could not make myself push a button to vote for Hitlery under ANY circumstance.

Shirotayama on February 12, 2008 at 2:27 PM

I wonder if…..every office that displayed a che poster were vandalized….would it makea difference????

Bob67 on February 12, 2008 at 2:27 PM

So you can’t fire a mexican, I’m sorry, “Latina/o”, without other mexican/hispanics/latinos/latinas/aztecs/olmecs/incas claiming some sort of “ism”. I would suggest that the reason Solis-Doyle (Why do ya think she kept Solis in her name? so that she could never be fired because she is a “Latina”) was fired is because she is doing a horrible job, Clinton is tanking. But in defense of Doyle, it’s very hard to disguise a shit sandwich as filet mignon.

clawjockey on February 12, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Something to the effect that Doyle was sapped for energy and needed the break.

It was a very Clintonesque general statement about how so many had sacrificed, but there was nothing at all that was specific about Doyle.

Sorry, she’s in it for life, unless she cuts a deal for a slot on SCOTUS. Her DNA is to attack Republicans. She can’t do that if she or her hubby is not holding an office.

pedestrian on February 12, 2008 at 2:38 PM

What is a Latino? Is it a Roman who speaks Latin?

Hilts on February 12, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Thought I’d just said that.

Shirotayama on February 12, 2008 at 2:24 PM

Sorry, Shiro. I started typing before you comment was up, got distracted by the phone, came back and finished my comment and submitted it. Never saw yours. Prickly, much? If it’s any consolation, I think your comment was freaking brilliant. ;-)

aero on February 12, 2008 at 2:45 PM

Aero,

My bad. Rough night with the wifey at home last night, sorry for taking it out on you. Wuz wrong of me.

Shirotayama on February 12, 2008 at 2:48 PM

pedestrian on February 12, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Sure, she can! She can go work for CNN as a regular contributor and get paid to bash Republicans all day, every day. She wouldn’t even have to worry about being accountable to those pesky voters anymore.

aero on February 12, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Shirotayama on February 12, 2008 at 2:48 PM

No prob.

aero on February 12, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Many said the same after they left the WH and she was elected senator. But she didn’t.

Don’t underestimate Hillary–she’s always got something up her sleeve.

Bob's Kid on February 12, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Don’t underestimate Hillary–she’s always got something up her sleeve.

Bob’s Kid on February 12, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Kid,

Except the difference then is that everybody KNEW she wanted to be president and that was the ONLY reason to run for NY senator. (Amusing since Barry is from her own original home state of Illinois.)

If she loses this, she’d cooked. Stick a fork in her. (Hmmm…sadistic, but effective idea, come to think of it.)

With no realistic chance to try to become POTUS again, I think she’d just quit elective politics and figure out some other way to be a thorn in the republicans’ side after nursing her wounds on a tropical lesbian beach for a year or so.

Somebody wondered aloud before if she’d become some liberal talking head on TV. Well, that’d be fine. I’d do exactly what I do with other liberal talking heads like Olby (puke), Matthews (double-puke), Cooper (yawn), Blitzer (double-yawn), etc. Which is to click the remote to watch Shep, Bret, O’Reilly, or Hannie Pie.

Oh…and as for that lesbian comment. Take note, folks: I work in a building RIGHT NEXT to the White House in a major federal Departmental agency headquarters. Middle-upper echelons of this place…and I’d assume other federal agencies as well…are peppered with her former cohorts who needed a place to land, and whose friends in high places persudaded the current Republican leaders in power to find a safe place for the former members of Hitlery’s Clinton-administration posse to land for a while, until the political tables turned.

Nearly ALL of them are Lesbian. I swear this to God most holy with my hand on a Bible. I’ve had to work with several of these women, and I typically try to give as much distance to them as possible. Because they’re very SCARY individuals.

And if the cohorts are scary….just imagine the ringleader.

Shirotayama on February 12, 2008 at 3:07 PM

THE CHOSEN ONE on February 12, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Heh. That might be the first post you’ve ever written that I agree with 100%.

SECOND LOOK AT A PISSED OFF HILLARY

BacaDog on February 12, 2008 at 3:30 PM

clawjockey on February 12, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Many Mexicans and Mexican-Americans take a hyphenated last name consisting of both a maiden and married name. That is very common and does not indicate some nefarious reason for doing so.

As far as not being able to fire a Latino, that’s just ridiculous. So far, Ybarra is the only person we’ve heard complain about this. Also, as a business owner, I’ve hired and fired my fair share of minorities. I have never worried about being accused of racial or ethnic discrimination.

The Race Card on February 12, 2008 at 5:13 PM