Video: The obligatory “Maher wishes death on Rush Limbaugh” clip

posted at 6:46 pm on February 11, 2008 by Allahpundit

Neither P.J. O’Rourke nor Jonah Goldberg, sitting right in front of him, could rouse themselves to object, nor could his halfwit audience rally for the obligatory round of affirmational laughter. Past a certain point, and we’re long since past that point, this sort of lazy venom becomes so routine and enervating that the outrage decays into a queasy resignation, like having to take medicine every few hours that tastes awful. Gotta flag it, though, because eventually some crank on our side will say something nutty and the left will pretend to be offended even though, per the reaction to incidents like this, they’re really not, and we’ll play a new round of the tu quoque game. Which makes the whole thing that much queasier.

Gutfeld, at least, is still keeping up the beat. Click the image to watch.

maher-rush.jpg

Comments

Almost clicked on it…..then thought better of it.

I’ve heard enough from that ass-hat.

Talon on February 11, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Isn’t PJ supposed to be a conservative? Fat guy wouldn’t share his drugs…radio shocks becoming irrelevant?

Wow. What some guys will do for attention.

Couple of boos (and silence!) from the liberal LA crowd should indicate Mahr’s tastelessness.Ugh.

mksmithwriter on February 11, 2008 at 6:54 PM

PJ O’Rourke and Bill Maher looking down on someone for illegal drug use?
You gotta be f’in kidding me.

billy on February 11, 2008 at 6:56 PM

It wasn’t that offensive. He’s a comedian. The unforgivable thing is it wasn’t funny.

mikeyboss on February 11, 2008 at 6:56 PM

I think I am pretty obnoxious but even when I want to say things like that I don’t (in public forums)

I hope one Maher just wakes up one day and gets it.

conservatism , that is.

TheSitRep on February 11, 2008 at 6:58 PM

I think PJ is more of a libertarian. Still, I was kind of surprised to see him going along with this.

mikeyboss on February 11, 2008 at 6:58 PM

Gutfield’s statement:

What I always find amusing is that the champions of tolerance – the people who earn their keep painting the right as hateful, mean-spirited people – actually wish death on people who don’t agree with them.

But when has Maher ever advertised himself as a champion of tolerance? Or even a runner-up?

He’s pretty open about being, well, a slug.

No one should be surprised by anything this classy person says.

SteveMG on February 11, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Maher should just do us all a favor…. and cut himself lose. I can’t stand his show and I am about down with HBO as a whole.

Showtimes is coming out with some interesting things now.

upinak on February 11, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Well, although PJ and Rush might have fiscal conservatism in common, I really doubt there’s any love between them; they don’t seem like each others’ type. Or maybe PJ thought that letting a Hollywood audience boo the death wish would be a lot more potent on its own without him as a conservative talking head having to add to it.

By the way, say what you will about San Francisco, but when one of the local DJs here was asked who the biggest jerk in Hollywood was, he answered “Bill Maher” without hesitation.

calbear on February 11, 2008 at 7:07 PM

wow typos…

down = done

excuse me… the fingers slipped!

upinak on February 11, 2008 at 7:08 PM

if you can not beat Rush in the ratings, kill him.

custer on February 11, 2008 at 7:10 PM

The pride and joy of the leftist kooks. Wow.

Zorro on February 11, 2008 at 7:11 PM

You stay classy Bill!
(I just had to!)

Biffstir on February 11, 2008 at 7:12 PM

I think I actually heard crickets. Tell me again, why does this ultra mega sabado gigante douche have a show? Are his ratings that good?

Let’s start to count how many conservatives Bill Maher has wished dead.

1. Dick Cheney
2. Rush Limbaugh
3. ?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on February 11, 2008 at 7:15 PM

I actually like Maher’s show, I’ll either DVR it or watch it On Demand. It’s irritating to most cons, mainly because Maher speaks in crowd-pleasing one-liners instead of offering real dialog. And his dim-bulbed audience, which dumbly claps at Maher’s bits like a wind-up toy monkey with a pair little cymbals, is downright infuriating.

But I usually dig his guests, and I’m always into watching the sole conservative on the panel swim upstream against the fierce current of Maher’s batsh*t regulars like Richard Belzer.

Can’t fault Jonah or Rourke for not jumping on Maher, the guy throw so much empty, offensive rhetoric out during the course of a show, it’s like being kicked in the nuts 18 times time in a row…. after 9th or 10th time, numbness sets in.

John from OPFOR on February 11, 2008 at 7:15 PM

Well, there goes the last shred of respect I had for Maher.

I was hanging onto that shred because he seemed more intelligent and thoughtful than his lefty counterparts. So much for that idea.

petefrt on February 11, 2008 at 7:17 PM

Moronic
Abysmal
Hack
Enema
Remora

profitsbeard on February 11, 2008 at 7:20 PM

C’mon, no socialist would ever wish harm upon another…reference Joseph StalinAdolph HitlerChe GueveraMau ZedongNicolae Ceausescu

Never mind.

stonemeister on February 11, 2008 at 7:25 PM

haha, Maher himself seems even more stunned than I am, that his audience didn’t eat it up. His entire show is filled with idiotic uninformed comments that just feed his extreme (EXTREME) fringe left audience (I say fringe, but they are the mainstream Democrats now, just more outspoken than the rest). Usually these morons eat up his hate and lies that make for easy “Bush lied” and “America is bad” one liners, but I’m stunned they didn’t go wild cheering over this one too.

In fact, I hate to be conspiratorial here.. but it was at just how organized the “oooohs” and lack of cheers seemed to be. Certainly a few would have laughed (assuming that is what all of their friends would do)… How is it this one time they all chose to object to Maher’s hate at the exact same time? What about this now makes it over the line, and so far over the line that there isn’t a single audience member out of step?

Could be just a big coincidence, and I’m not pushing any “rehearsed” conspiracy theory, but I feel it is odd enough that it’s worth noting, given the lack of objection to a show that is filled with that sort of nonsense and the crowd loves it.

RightWinged on February 11, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Gutfeld says it for me! Oh how I miss RedEye!

SouthernGent on February 11, 2008 at 7:29 PM

To be honest, I could care less what he says. He has every right to say whatever he wants. What kills me is the double standard and that we accept it and walk around on eggshells as a result.

TheBigOldDog on February 11, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Almost clicked on it…..then thought better of it.

I’ve heard enough from that ass-hat.

Talon on February 11, 2008 at 6:52 PM

I second that emotion.

Califemme on February 11, 2008 at 7:34 PM

Imagine the media uproar of Anne Coulter would have said something similar.

cat-scratch on February 11, 2008 at 7:35 PM

TheBigOldDog on February 11, 2008 at 7:33 PM

That pretty much nails it.
Why do we destroy our own and start tsk-tsk-ing whenever a conservative says anything provacative?

billy on February 11, 2008 at 7:36 PM

That pretty much nails it.

billy on February 11, 2008 at 7:36 PM

Because we accept their game and play by their rules. We are so worried what the corrupt media will say, we are willing to eat our own on command. It never occurs to us, they are are much worse than us on such matters, and all it takes to win is have the guts to fight back hard and/or stop caring what they say.

TheBigOldDog on February 11, 2008 at 7:43 PM

Imagine the media uproar of Anne Coulter would have said something similar.

cat-scratch on February 11, 2008 at 7:35 PM

That’s one of the few conservative who truly gets it. She speaks her mind and fights back when they feign indignation. She realizes that the more they attack her the more fans she gains. For every phony who turns up their nose at her 10 average Americans cheer her on.

TheBigOldDog on February 11, 2008 at 7:46 PM

Like I always said, the guy is like a nerdy little kid who will do anything to sit at the cool kids’ tale.

manwithblackhat on February 11, 2008 at 7:48 PM

eventually some crank on our side will say something nutty

Oh ye of little faith!

Kini on February 11, 2008 at 7:50 PM

I always liked P.J. Now I think he’s kind of a beatoff.

LtE126 on February 11, 2008 at 7:55 PM

Maher is basically a shock jock who has delusions of intelligence. Notice he seldom makes historical references but if he does it becomes obvious he can’t distinguish Socrates from Virgil or identify Tully. He’s nasty but he probably isn’t quick enough or nasty enough to make it on radio.

snaggletoothie on February 11, 2008 at 8:08 PM

Is Maher still on TV?

d1carter on February 11, 2008 at 8:08 PM

Thanks to Noel Sheppard for providing the vid…Otherwise, we wouldn’t have seen it. ;-)

MsUnderestimated on February 11, 2008 at 8:27 PM

For the most part, I like O’Rourke and it struck me that when he muttered “yeah, yeah”, it was because for once, even he was stunned and at a loss for words and not just agreeing.

Big John on February 11, 2008 at 8:27 PM

Big John on February 11, 2008 at 8:27 PM

You hit the nail square on the head. You could almost hear him thinking that this was outrageous, wondering if he should screw up the courage to call him on it, and then balking. He didn’t have it in him. Honestly, I do that to sometimes. I work at a college in a supportive role, and to preserve a working rapport with the “talent,” I let this crap pass with a ” yah…” Almost with a “whateve” tone. And I hate myself when I do it, but I know how damaging it would be if I vented honestly.

But P.J. Man. Disappointing. Fonzie jumped the shark.

silverfox on February 11, 2008 at 9:14 PM

Remember, Maher is the loser who mocked Steve Irwin’s passing with his Halloween costume.

jgapinoy on February 11, 2008 at 9:15 PM

He’s a comedian.

mikeyboss on February 11, 2008 at 6:56 PM

I beg to differ.

labrat on February 11, 2008 at 9:31 PM

Love and tolerance from a leftist.

Scratch a liberal find a hateful bigot.

jukin on February 11, 2008 at 9:51 PM

Typical Libspeak,name-calling.So there back to
calling Rush fat again.When a polition,so-called
peace activist,leftist hollywood actor passes away,
the right blogosphere holds no hatered,and deals
with the subject with compassion and class!

But on the Leftblogsphere,or lefty comedians
its pure evil hate!

canopfor on February 12, 2008 at 12:24 AM

If ever a man begged for a good hard bytch-slapping, it’s B.M.

whitetop on February 12, 2008 at 12:53 AM

dont watch him, dont give a damn what he thinks or says!!! the guy is a joke.

devere252 on February 12, 2008 at 1:53 AM

Allah: watching the worst crap on tv so we don’t have to…

Jaibones on February 12, 2008 at 2:35 AM

He’s been drinking too much Playboy Grotto Jacuzzi water.

2Tru2Tru on February 12, 2008 at 3:19 AM

Maher is brain dead and trying to find some kind or any kind of audience.

MSGTAS on February 12, 2008 at 8:06 AM

So… Maher is an abject failure and a complete douchebag. Surprise, surprise. The stone-cold silence of his liberal audience after such a tasteless comment says all that needs to be said.

Jockolantern on February 12, 2008 at 10:02 AM

The obligatory comment on the obligatory video.

Kevin M on February 12, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Hey, who exactly are we obligated to?

Kevin M on February 12, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Even the mindless fools in his audience knew he went too far
(so there is hope for humanity).

RobCon on February 12, 2008 at 1:42 PM

PJ makes Imus look good. What an old mess.

RobCon on February 12, 2008 at 1:44 PM

I saw Bill Maher at a bar on Sunset one night. The dude is pretty full of himself. Seeing him in person made me realize that just feels entitled to be a dick.

TheBigOldDog on February 11, 2008 at 7:46 PM

If that’s true, why do we have a candidate like John McCain? If Ann’s venom is so intoxicating, why not use her more to kick the party in the pants?

IMO she’s toxic, but feels good going down. Lots of toxins induce a sense of euphoria before they make you sick or kill you. Don’t get me wrong. I like Ann Coulter. But I think she does little for our party other than to preach to the converted. She’s not a gateway drug; she’s more liquid cocaine.

Republicans are very thirsty.

The Race Card on February 12, 2008 at 2:27 PM