Baghdad hospital director arrested in Down Syndrome bombing

posted at 9:35 pm on February 11, 2008 by Bryan

The attack occurred at the al-Ghazl market in Baghdad on Feb 1. There were two bombs, both carried by mentally handicapped women. The bombs were detonated remotely, killing more than 40 and wounding more than 80.

On Sunday, US and Iraqi forces arrested a man suspected of working with al Qaeda to supply them with the two women. He’s the director of a Baghdad psychiatric hospital.

The acting director of a Baghdad psychiatric hospital has been arrested on suspicion of supplying al-Qaeda in Iraq with the mentally impaired women that it used to blow up two crowded animal markets in the city on February 1, killing about 100 people.

Iraqi security forces and US soldiers arrested the man at al-Rashad hospital in east Baghdad on Sunday. They then spent three hours searching his office and removing records. Sources told The Times that the two women bombers had been treated at the hospital in the past.

“They [the security forces] arrested the acting director, accusing him of working with al-Qaeda and recruiting mentally ill women and using them in suicide bombing operations,” a hospital official said.

Why mentally ill bombers? Well…

The attraction of mentally impaired women to al-Qaeda was obvious, he said. Being women they could get close to targets with less chance of being stopped or searched; being mentally impaired, they were “less likely to make a rational judgment about what they are being asked to do”…

An insight into the way al-Qaeda thinks came in a letter written by one of its leaders in Anbar province that the US military seized in November and released in part on Sunday. “It is possible to use doctors working in private hospitals and where the infidels/ apostates are treated who have serious conditions to be injected with [air bubbles] that will kill them,” it said.

Words fail me.

Comments

yeah Obambi, lets sit down and talk to them……….

ctmom on February 11, 2008 at 9:40 PM

This is what Muslim do to their own. What do the infiltrators in the west plan for all of us non Muslims?

BL@KBIRD on February 11, 2008 at 9:40 PM

Flashback to Glasgow. They wanted to use doctors who treat infidels in the U.K. too.

Buy Danish on February 11, 2008 at 9:41 PM

“Words fail me.”

Ditto.

PattyJ on February 11, 2008 at 9:42 PM

I said it one a previous post and I`ll say it again…….How could we ever, at ANY POINT, POSSIBLY LOSE THE MORAL HIGH GROUND TO THESE MONSTERS?!

Hill? Obama? Dodd, Durbin, Boxer, Pelosi?

ThePrez on February 11, 2008 at 9:42 PM

I said it once a previous post

ThePrez on February 11, 2008 at 9:43 PM

The religion of peace.

jgapinoy on February 11, 2008 at 9:43 PM

“Words fail me.”

Ditto.

PattyJ on February 11, 2008 at 9:42 PM

Thirded… Ug…

liquidflorian on February 11, 2008 at 9:46 PM

And the “moderate muslims” said what???
Did I miss the press release???

Bush: “Islam is a religion of peace”
Bush: “McCain is a true conservative”

Just sayin’quotin’

Talon on February 11, 2008 at 9:47 PM

Friendly reminder: These are Michael Moore’s “Minutemen”.

The darlings of the Left.

Montana on February 11, 2008 at 9:50 PM

If I said I was surprised, I’d be lying.

The same plan they’ve had in every other circumstance where the question arose: convert us, tax/humiliate us or kill us. And, apparently, some people are OK with that.

venividivici on February 11, 2008 at 9:52 PM

The word that fails you is the word of god.

BJ* on February 11, 2008 at 9:53 PM

Well, al-Qaida’s membership is already 100% mentally handicapped, so this is par for the course.

Texas Rainmaker on February 11, 2008 at 9:56 PM

I’m not even sure what to say…Except I hope every single one of the monsters responsible for planning the bombing get a bullet in their @ss courtesy of the American taxpayer.

amerpundit on February 11, 2008 at 9:57 PM

I just don’t think we realize what kind of evil we are up against…Sadly

d1carter on February 11, 2008 at 10:01 PM

The words that fail me are in trying to describe my bewilderment in the fact that, at this crucial moment in our history, we have a candidate for president with ties to this barbaric cult; however remote they may (or may not) be.

labrat on February 11, 2008 at 10:05 PM

Also interesting in that story is the fact that the previous director was assassinated by Al Queda for not co operating.

Anther key fact. Isnt the hospitals where Lancelot and other iraqi death experts go to get morgue numbers ? Is there a chance this doctor was feeding them misinformation as well ?

William Amos on February 11, 2008 at 10:06 PM

Words fail me.

May God help us.

Zorro on February 11, 2008 at 10:07 PM

Wait a minute! The Archbishop of the Anglican Church in England thinks he has a solution. Why not give it a shot? It is a different culture you know.

a capella on February 11, 2008 at 10:09 PM

William Amos on February 11, 2008 at 10:06 PM

Psychiatric unit for Iraqis, isn’t it. I doubt they would be dealing with a lot of mortality. It does make on ewonder if the previous director wasn’t killed to free things up a bit for this creep.

a capella on February 11, 2008 at 10:14 PM

I, for one, will never trust an Islamist. Call me bigoted, but being Jewish, I tend to be turned off by people whose cult requires them to murder me, my family, and most of my friends.

I guess I’m just not pc.

stonemeister on February 11, 2008 at 10:15 PM

a capella on February 11, 2008 at 10:14 PM

True I got the wrong hospital but it does show that Al Qaeda does have propaganda influence in Iraq.

William Amos on February 11, 2008 at 10:16 PM

As Chris Matthews said (paraphrasing), “They’re fighting for their own country. Why shouldn’t they fight us?”

Dope.

SteveMG on February 11, 2008 at 10:16 PM

Words fail me.

Amen.

Troy Rasmussen on February 11, 2008 at 10:19 PM

Words fail me.

Not me. But they are almost all unprintable at HotAir.

I have known for a long time how Evil our enemy is. I have despaired that so called moderate and just people would ever begin to call this enemy what it is. Evil, Tyrannous, Bloodthirsty, and Barbaric in the extreme. Failure to call them, AND every apologist for them EXACTLY what and who they are makes us the weaker people on this Earth. It is only because of the immense capacity we share for suffering with the oppressed, and the incredible sense of Justice we demand of our own soldiers that we can even hold on in this propaganda war.

These words ring true today. Let No American doubt that the same determination is EXACTLY what is needed today in America. And where are the Men who will follow? In the US Military, that’s where. Let Nancy and Dingy Harry and Dhimmicrats everywhere pontificate about Defeat. We Shall Not Fail:

“I would say to the House, as I said to those who have joined this Government, I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat. We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many long months of toil and struggle.

“You ask what is our policy. I will say, it is to wage war with all our might, with all the strength that God can give us, to wage war against a monstrous tyranny never surpassed in the dark, lamentable catalogue of human crime.

“You ask what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory. Victory at all costs. Victory in spite of all terror. Victory however long and hard the road may be. For without victory there is no survival.”

—First speech as Prime Minister, House of Commons, 13 May 1940.

Subsunk out.

Subsunk on February 11, 2008 at 10:22 PM

In response to the news that Al Qaeda straps bombs to mentally handicapped women to blow up markets full of children and pets, Code Pink angrily condemned the US Marine Corps.

joewm315 on February 11, 2008 at 10:23 PM

Sir Winston Churchill —First speech as Prime Minister, House of Commons, 13 May 1940.

Subsunk on February 11, 2008 at 10:24 PM

Words fail me.

Kill them. Now.

SouthernGent on February 11, 2008 at 10:26 PM

I’m sure glad we’re not fighting an ideology.
That would be actually require leaders with big brass ones.
Lets see, the Greeks and Vlad the impaler picked up on the concept, I should think modern societies could also.

Speakup on February 11, 2008 at 10:30 PM

And some fret over waterboarding.

As Robert Spencer’s excellent articles have said before; these people things do not value life as we know it on this earth, it’s the afterlife their jihad demands.

Kini on February 11, 2008 at 10:37 PM

there isn’t a circle of hell deep and hot enough for this bastard.

Defector01 on February 11, 2008 at 10:42 PM

Bush II’s religion of peace pieces backs him up again. Democracy will fix this, oh yeah. Islamic psychiatry? Hahahahaha!!! After prosecuting persecuting his own men, will Bush II prove how open-minded he is and see a psychiatrist in Baghdad?

Feedie on February 11, 2008 at 10:51 PM

And now, a word from the leftosphere:

[crickets]

Jim Treacher on February 11, 2008 at 10:55 PM

Don’t ever ever let a liberal tell you it’s our fault because the terrorists live in squalor, that they are uneducated, that we are responsible for all the suffering, blah blah blah.

The terrorists exploit the weak. If poverty, oppression, and illiteracy breed terror so easily, like the liberals tell us, then where are all the Mexican terrorists.

It’s ALL ABOUT Islamic superiority and the extension of Islam’s dark cloud over the West.

Islam did not bring us Da Vinci, or Mozart, or the Moon landings. It did not bring us the internet, or Picasso, or the Enlightenment. Islam did not bring us medicine or capitalism. It did not bring democracy or anything that I can think of that has been positive to the human race and it’s progression as a species. I know the “arabic” numeral and Algebra are commonly cited, but that had nothing to do with Islam, rather it happened in SPITE of Islam.

Tell me, what has Islam wrought up on this world!!? Or should I quote Pope Benedict quoting a 14th century Byzantine emperor.

James on February 11, 2008 at 10:57 PM

OH Bullshit how do you know if they have Down’s syndrome after they blow themselves apart…

daileyck1 on February 11, 2008 at 11:11 PM

daileyck1,

OH I don’t know, maybe because they were known entities before the bombing.

I think you might have a pea for a brain…

James on February 11, 2008 at 11:13 PM

The hospital director is a miniscule little head on the hydra. Want to kill the beast? Go after the meanings in the Koran.

RushBaby on February 11, 2008 at 11:26 PM

and the left calls these monsters “freedom fighters”

JustTruth101 on February 11, 2008 at 11:35 PM

daileyck1 on February 11, 2008 at 11:11 PM

I’m sure there is a picture of you in the knucklehead encyclopedia next to the word “dhimmitude”.

mogilla on February 12, 2008 at 12:02 AM

daileyck1

Actually the heads of most suicide bombers stay intact due to the blast direction the bomb vest dictates. It would be easy to identify Downs syndrome in the facial features.

Other suicide bombers are instructed to lean there heads over their chest if they wish to attempt anonymity.

BL@KBIRD on February 12, 2008 at 12:39 AM

There really are no words… Which is worse though: the people who commit these atrocities or those in Washington who defend them? This story should be on every news station to remind the American people of not only what we’re fighting for but what we’re fighting against. Instead it’s the latest on Britney’s rehab woes. How many more horrors do we as a nation need to witness before we realize that what these people are doing is evil? And how many more past that before we stop undermining the very people who would put an end to it?

NeoRealist on February 12, 2008 at 12:46 AM

BL@KBIRD on February 12, 2008 at 12:39 AM

I get the sense that daileyck1 is instructed to lean his head over his chest quite often to ponder his navel.

91Veteran on February 12, 2008 at 12:52 AM

Reminds me of the Japanese experiments on Chinese subjects in the 30s/40s

Reaps on February 12, 2008 at 12:55 AM

daileyck1 on February 11, 2008 at 11:11 PM

Do you ever wonder why links are posted?

The Times was shown photographs of the two young women’s severed heads, which were recovered from the wreckage. One very obviously had Down’s syndrome. The other had the round face, high forehead and other features often associated with Down’s syndrome, but her symptoms were less pronounced

a capella on February 12, 2008 at 12:57 AM

Completely dodging the repugnant circumstances and focusing on minutiae…..

Down’s syndrome involves an extra chromosome. You don’t need all that many intact cells to confirm it.

Back to context: maybe the Romans had something with their “fed to wild animals” plan for certain circumstances….

cthulhu on February 12, 2008 at 1:00 AM

Only retarded animals will eat muslims.

2Tru2Tru on February 12, 2008 at 3:12 AM

I’d argue that the forehead would be a better place for that bullet…

alilianstrom on February 12, 2008 at 8:34 AM

I’m glad they caught the bastard. There are no words for how evil this is.

Geronimo on February 12, 2008 at 8:42 AM

The Miami Herald originally carried this story with a headline to the effect that women suicide bombers are increasing. More than halfway down in the story was one sentence indicating that there were unconfirmed reports that the women were mentally handicapped. I haven’t seen anything on this story since. Media bias? What media bias?

Ann on February 12, 2008 at 9:09 AM

An interesting article on where the hate comes from

scalleywag on February 12, 2008 at 9:32 AM

Followers tend to act like their god. Allah the devil is still hard at work.

Grafted on February 12, 2008 at 9:45 AM

Suicide bombers aren’t so bright, anyway, being manipulated for political gain. And now we have proof of this. Al Qaeda is scum stuck to the gum on the bottom of my shoe.

desertdweller on February 12, 2008 at 10:13 AM

“Some may not know what we’re fighting for, but now they know what we’re fighting against.”
**apologies to Gen. Eisenhower**

artlover on February 12, 2008 at 10:41 AM

daileyck1 on February 11, 2008 at 11:11 PM

Who’s freaking side are you on? It’s not rocket science. These people are sick, twisted bastards.

wytammic on February 12, 2008 at 10:54 AM

What tammi said.

Kevin M on February 12, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Islam perfected evil as well as stealing the concept of zero and algebra.

A very accomplished society.

BL@KBIRD on February 12, 2008 at 11:46 AM

And Johnny McCain says we shouldn’t torture these people?

They deserve the rack and iron maiden as far as I’m concerned.

Sir Andrew on February 12, 2008 at 2:04 PM