Video: Pat Robertson fears McCain “with his hand on the red button”

posted at 10:19 am on February 8, 2008 by Bryan

I’m not sure I get this criticism, given the source. Pat Roberston endorsed Rudy Giuliani, who is inarguably less conservative than John McCain, and who carries several tons more of personal baggage than McCain. That endorsement went nowhere, but a reasonable fallback for Robertson would be the more conservative McCain. As for the macho argument that Robertson puts up, isn’t that essentially what the left tried to bludgeon Reagan with — that he was too crazy to be put in charge of the leadership of the free world? How’d that work out?

There are plenty of reasons for a conservative to oppose McCain. His temper might make it difficult for him to unite the party, but that’s not the argument that Robertson makes. He just says that McCain might let his machismo get us into wars. I don’t think that’s true, but I don’t mind if our enemies do think it’s true.

Comments

There is an error with the video.

EnochCain on February 8, 2008 at 10:21 AM

As with Dobson, another guy who overestimates his lasting political influence.

CP on February 8, 2008 at 10:23 AM

Because it’s not about the baggage or the ideology. It’s about the access to power, or lack thereof. Maybe sour grapes, too.

Vizzini on February 8, 2008 at 10:25 AM

I’m so glad fools like this are irrelivant now.

Hiney Von Pewps on February 8, 2008 at 10:30 AM

going to have to agree with Bryan,

but I don’t mind if our enemies do think it’s true.

upinak on February 8, 2008 at 10:32 AM

Really? The one area I never thought McCain could possibly be attacked and Pat dove right in.

Really?

amkun on February 8, 2008 at 10:37 AM

I fear Robertson without the supervision of men in white button-down coats.

OneGyT on February 8, 2008 at 10:37 AM

And what happens when he drops the F-Bomb on Putin?

- The Cat

MirCat on February 8, 2008 at 10:38 AM

IIRC, he was also criticized for offering the opinion that it would be in the United States best interest for Chavez to take a dirt nap. Could we have a show of hands regarding present thinking on the matter?

a capella on February 8, 2008 at 10:40 AM

I have watched 700 Club about twice, and once I saw him sitting there with his eyes squashed shut saying that he was healing the hemerroids of a guy in a VW Bug somewhere. I kid you not.

He woulda been burned at the stake at one time.

Akzed on February 8, 2008 at 10:41 AM

Why I will vote for Johnny Mac.

Schweggie on February 8, 2008 at 10:46 AM

I don’t trust Pat Robertson’s hand on anything.

He’s a delusional self important gasbag posing as a religious leader.

PolitiNOOB on February 8, 2008 at 10:47 AM

agree with CP, Vizini, and Hiney.

This guy, like Dobson, has a personal hatred toward McCain. Like Bryan said, it’s not as though there aren’t things to criticize McCain over. It’s just that he dislikes McCain for some personal reason. Disagree with the substance of his arguments, but statements like this make him less relevant than he was when he endorsed Rudy.

ThackerAgency on February 8, 2008 at 10:50 AM

McCain made it personal when he snubbed evangelicals in 2000:

“We are the party of Ronald Reagan, not Pat Robertson”

McCain does not have the temperament to mend fences or be POTUS.

Valiant on February 8, 2008 at 10:52 AM

This might something that Robertson has right. McCain is unstable and has a craving for war.

But McCain’s hand on “the red button”: isn’t this the big opportunity Robertson’s been waiting for? Nuclear holocaust and the return of Jaysus?

I think Robertson’s just pissed that McCain will ignore him and not call him in for a sweet word of prayer before the deed is done.

If six months ago Robertson had known McCain would be doing so well and Giuliani not, he would have kissed McCain’s rear-end instead and endorsed him.

Drum on February 8, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Akzed on February 8, 2008 at 10:41 AM

Robertson should know better. You never heal someone in a moving vehicle.

I wouldn’t have wanted to have been driving behind the guy in the VW when all of a sudden his hemmoroids disappeared.

“Heh, WTF?” ***crash***

fogw on February 8, 2008 at 10:58 AM

As an evangelical, I’m waiting for God to tell me why on earth I should take this guy (and Dobson, for that matter) seriously.

Still waiting……

Still waiting……..

CurtZHP on February 8, 2008 at 11:00 AM

Another “Amen” there, brother. As far as I’m concerned, this is the ONLY good thing McCain has to offer.

logis on February 8, 2008 at 11:05 AM

What I wanna know is: who are Benny Hinn and Creflo Dollar endorsing? Or Rev Ike, for that matter.

It’s lame, stupid — and probably illegal — when the Dems pimp in church. Aren’t Dobson’s and Robertson’s little empires tax-exempt, too?

Religion and politics make an ugly mix, IMO.

MrScribbler on February 8, 2008 at 11:07 AM

This is one thing about McCain that does not bother me.

I worry about his opening our borders to infiltration and thus failing with our primary defense (maintaining a nation of laws and a stable culture by controlling illegal immigration) more than his being strong on the more overt forms of Defense.

Let our enemies fear us.

But don’t let them have an open door to invade us and subvert us at the same time, Johnny.

profitsbeard on February 8, 2008 at 11:08 AM

McCain made it personal when he snubbed evangelicals in 2000:

“We are the party of Ronald Reagan, not Pat Robertson”
McCain does not have the temperament to mend fences or be POTUS.

Valiant on February 8, 2008 at 10:52 AM

To be fair, I didn’t see it as an attack on evangelicals, but demagoging, useless fools like Pat Robertson. I view Robertson as little more than another sleazy televangelist.

Hollowpoint on February 8, 2008 at 11:09 AM

The Prophet Whale breaches again.

At least this time he’s endorsing a devout Protestant instead of a lapsed Catholic.

BKennedy on February 8, 2008 at 11:10 AM

Pat Robertson is the Al Sharpton of the Right.

ronsfi on February 8, 2008 at 11:15 AM

?

I’m a little young to remember, but I thought it was that he was too old. That he might, I don’t know, lean on the button.

Mark V. on February 8, 2008 at 11:17 AM

I want a guy that scares the living daylights out of countries like China and Russia … much less Iran.

McCain’s temper and unpredictability can be an asset when dealing with thugs like Putin and Ahmadinejad.

Tape McCain’s finger to that red button.

darwin on February 8, 2008 at 11:24 AM

McCain made it personal when he snubbed evangelicals in 2000:

“We are the party of Ronald Reagan, not Pat Robertson”
McCain does not have the temperament to mend fences or be POTUS.

Valiant on February 8, 2008 at 10:52 AM

Hollowpoint on February 8, 2008 at 11:09 AM

I didn’t either. I enjoy it when politicians diss people like Robertson, Dobson, et al. Those politicians work for ME, not you tax-exempt blowhards!

CurtZHP on February 8, 2008 at 11:29 AM

Check your tire pressure, Pat.

mojo on February 8, 2008 at 11:59 AM

Being afraid that McCain might actually defend the US is macho? In whose world?

rightwingprof on February 8, 2008 at 12:14 PM

No need to fear that, since McCain has absolutely no shot of beating Hillary/Obama. No.chance.in.hell.

revolutionismyname on February 8, 2008 at 12:15 PM

When Pat Roberston says walk down this road.

Take the other road, and run, don’t walk.

Kini on February 8, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Back before there was a Rush, if you wanted to get the other side of the story not shown in the MSN, you could go to the news at the top of Pat Robertson’s 700 Club. I learned alot about what Peter Jennings wasn’t telling us about happenings in the Middle East with a pro-Israel bent. I haven’t watched his show in years, but have channel surfed and seen his infomercials for his healthy diet shakes…seems a little off-message to me.

deedledee on February 8, 2008 at 1:07 PM

Anyone who has a memory might remember back when McCain made himself the supreme commander of the Balkans Wars. He positioned himself to be perceived as the architect of that thing, just like he’s done with Iraq, but you wouldn’t know it now because no one wants to be associated with that quagmire and our alliance with the people who brought us 9/11.

Buddahpundit on February 8, 2008 at 1:25 PM

Is being perceived as dangerous more effective than actually being dangerous? Discuss. :)

ThePrez on February 8, 2008 at 2:57 PM

Don’t worry Pat, Chertoff took control of the Red Button a couple years ago. Like everything else he’s had his hands on – it doesn’t work anymore.

tgillian on February 8, 2008 at 5:06 PM