Video: Huckabee wins Texas

posted at 9:45 am on February 8, 2008 by Allahpundit

He needs something like 98% of the remaining delegates to clinch and 54% just to send it to the convention. Not only is Virginia a likely loss but Rove just left a symbolic fish on his doorstep. How’s he going to get through the day once he folds and the free-media well runs dry?

Possible answer: Maybe he takes over Dobson’s group, Focus on the Family? That’d give him a big platform guaranteeing plenty of media opportunities in the future while he plans another run. And Dobson seems desperate for relevance, which Huck’s high mainstream profile and media savvy would provide. You heard it here first! Unless it doesn’t happen, in which case forget it.

Comments

How many times has he been on Colbert now?

amerpundit on February 8, 2008 at 9:48 AM

That’s Arizona, nitwit.

Typhoon on February 8, 2008 at 9:49 AM

You just gave me a heart attack.

RushBaby on February 8, 2008 at 9:49 AM

What’s with Huck and the late night people?!

madame_bluetooth on February 8, 2008 at 9:50 AM

If only he weren’t…. himself.

DaveS on February 8, 2008 at 9:51 AM

What’s with Huck and the late night people?!

madame_bluetooth on February 8, 2008 at 9:50 AM

Judging by that last performance, they share an intelligence level.

amerpundit on February 8, 2008 at 9:52 AM

Ok, I don’t support Huckabee, but that was funny! See, a funny man who goes over well on late night shows pushing for conservative social values. That would work for me. I just don’t want him to be president. Maybe he could get our message across without sounding like the church lady.

TX Mom on February 8, 2008 at 9:52 AM

HUCKASCHMUCK! HUCKASCHMUCK! HUCKASCHMUCK!

That said, that was actually a pretty funny bit…

“Katie Couric has a monkey paw!”

Frozen Tex on February 8, 2008 at 9:54 AM

Late night talk show host.

Unless it doesn’t happen, in which case forget it.

lol

Spirit of 1776 on February 8, 2008 at 9:55 AM

OK, I wouldn’t want him as president, but the man has personality.

That was funny as hell.

JayHaw Phrenzie on February 8, 2008 at 9:55 AM

If only he weren’t…. himself.

DaveS on February 8, 2008 at 9:51 AM

For real. It’s too bad he’s spent so much of his campaign shamelessly demagogueing for the evangelical vote. It’s too bad he’s adopted so many of the more ridiculously evangelical positions, such as denying evolution. And it’s too bad that too few conservatives, in their consuming hatred of McCain, are quick to forget that Huckabee hasn’t had a stellar reputation for furthing those “real” conservative idealogies.

Because the guy does have this weird charisma. He seems like he might be fun to hang around with. But not lead the nation. Or even be VP, though I’m growing ever more fearful that McCain will be forced to make that choice.

Vyce on February 8, 2008 at 9:56 AM

Y’know, Mom, he just might carry Texas, though.

Depends on how many Texas Republicans of the fiscal and security stripe, as well as constitutionalists such as myself, decide that the best play the primary might just be to throw a roadblock in the path of the Obama Express and vote for Hillary.

I ain’t sayin’ I’m gonna. But I sure am thinking about it.

Typhoon on February 8, 2008 at 9:57 AM

Call me crazy, but I’m still writing in Duncan Hunter on March 4 for the Texas primary (when we finally get our say). It may be a waste, but it’s the principle of it.

pecan pie on February 8, 2008 at 10:00 AM

You heard it here first! Unless it doesn’t happen, in which case forget it.

Love it, AP.

Vizzini on February 8, 2008 at 10:00 AM

I love circus acts and clowns.

Well to be honest, I did when I was six.

Air Huckee’s showing signs of desperation.

fogw on February 8, 2008 at 10:01 AM

Anyone else just have the funny sort of feeling that maybe McCain and Mitt cut a deal?

I hope so. The thought of McCain Huckster as the Republican ticket is…I don’t even want to go there.

Maybe that’s a good reason to vote in the Republican primary for McCain after all.

Typhoon on February 8, 2008 at 10:01 AM

Vyce on February 8, 2008 at 9:56 AM

Reasonable minds can differ on things like evolution, but what really is its relevance to Presidential Politics? I’m wwith him on that one, but its his record that makes him a problem. It just iritates me that he can use distractions like evolution and opposing abortion “because God says its wrong” and evangelicals turn their brains off and accept him.

infidel2 on February 8, 2008 at 10:01 AM

At first I thought he was staying in to increase his financial war chest in the event of a probable future run for U.S. Senate from his home state of Arkansas, which has 2 Democrats.

But I am afraid that he is really trying to portray himself as the best candidate for McCain’s VP, which is even more depressing news for conservatives like me who are feeling less motivated to pull the lever in November for 2 RINOs on the ticket.

ColtsFan on February 8, 2008 at 10:01 AM

“fish on his doorstep…”

Am I the only one confused by this reference?

I’m familiar with the usual teenage Halloween pranks, and also familiar with the various references from the Godfather movies. But the meaning of this one just escapes me.

Yep, Rove’s donation is a clear signal from the establishment. I expect Rove to enthusiastically endorse whomever McCain pics as veep as well — even if it is Parson Huck.

Anton on February 8, 2008 at 10:03 AM

Typhoon on February 8, 2008 at 9:57 AM

I haven’t decided what I’m going to do yet. I was planning to vote for Mitt, but now . . . sigh. I might have to vote for McCain in November, but he doesn’t need my vote in the primaries.

TX Mom on February 8, 2008 at 10:04 AM

I think Romney made a deal with McCain to be his VP in return for dropping out, which preempts Huckabee’s bid for VP. My guess is that Huckabee will have to settle for being High Priest of the US.

NNtrancer on February 8, 2008 at 10:04 AM

pecan pie on February 8, 2008 at 10:00 AM

I don’t think you are crazy. I will NOT vote for McCain or Huckabee in the TX primary, or any other time for that matter. I am hoping Fred is still on the ballot. If not, I will write someone in.

ChartreuseDragon on February 8, 2008 at 10:05 AM

Lots of great funny symbolism in that clip:

* “I think Texas is bigger than the hole.”

* Huck had to literally force Texas through the hole to “win” it.

* Huckabee thinks winning Texas is a game.

* Huck gleefully bats Texas back and forth with an opponent, even though Texas clearly doesn’t want to go down anybody’s hole.

It goes on and on….

That said, though, the last poll I saw had Huck in the lead in Texas. That was at least a month ago now, though, and I don’t know where we stand now. Anyone know any more recent numbers?

aero on February 8, 2008 at 10:06 AM

What’s with Huck and the late night people?!

madame_bluetooth on February 8, 2008 at 9:50 AM

Huckabee loves Huckabee. The more Huckabee he can see on TV the better.

EJDolbow on February 8, 2008 at 10:06 AM

NNtrancer on February 8, 2008 at 10:04 AM

I don’t think McCain will give Romney the VP slot. Too much personal animosity. I tend to believe the stories that as he wrote his CPAC speech, he just realized that he needed to drop out. I think he surprised everyone, including McCain. Which is why McCain’s speech was so cold on Romney – he didn’t change it to reflect the new information.

TX Mom on February 8, 2008 at 10:06 AM

NNtrancer on February 8, 2008 at 10:04 AM

That is the ONLY way I would vote for McCain. But I doubt that happened.

EJDolbow on February 8, 2008 at 10:07 AM

Yeah, I agree. Except that if the Huckster carries Texas–and he does have his 15/18% that are gonna turn out–he’ll have carried Texas!Texas, the state no Republican can even think about winning without.

McCain will have to put his grinning, goofy a** on the ticket.

We can’t let that happen. Can you imagine even living it down?

We just…can’t.

Typhoon on February 8, 2008 at 10:09 AM

NNtrancer on February 8, 2008 at 10:04 AM

Agreed. Mitt “suspended” his campaign so he can lump his campaign money in with McCain’s for the general election instead of forfeiting it.

txsurveyor on February 8, 2008 at 10:09 AM

“fish on his doorstep…”

Am I the only one confused by this reference?

Anton on February 8, 2008 at 10:03 AM

Never mind. My local office cinephile assured me it was in one of the Godfather movies. All I remembered was the horse’s head.

Anton on February 8, 2008 at 10:10 AM

*Sigh* Another RedLasso video embed. They crash my browser every time when I close a tab with one in it.

HYTEAndy on February 8, 2008 at 10:12 AM

Dobson seems desperate for relevance

Aren’t we all struggling for a little relevance right now, given the circumstances? Isn’t that the whole joke behind the SECOND LOOK AT… lines?

I don’t fault Dobson at all for gaining influence with a particular group, then using that influence to accomplish the things he believes in.

samuelrylander on February 8, 2008 at 10:13 AM

That was funny.

By the way, AP, I think you overestimate the influence of Dobson. Within the religious conservative movement, he’s still influential, I suppose, when it comes to family issues, etc., but his political influence has definitely waned. Not sure if he realizes it, but it has.

CP on February 8, 2008 at 10:13 AM

If Texas looks like it might go to Huckabee (assuming Huck stays in that long), I’ll have to go out and vote against him, just because I can’t stand the guy and don’t want our delegates to go in his column if I can possibly help it. I know he won’t win the nomination regardless, but I want to try to deny him Texas so that he doesn’t look as good for the VP nod.

If Texas looks like it’s going to McCain, I’ll cross over to the Dem primary and f*** with them like they did with us in our early primaries. I’ll vote Hillary because I think that if she wins their nomination, black voters will feel alienated by the Dem party at long last and a few might finally take a serious look at the Republican party for the first time ever. Especially if McCain chooses a black VP. This has been a year for some of the most intense identity politics I’ve ever seen. I think it would actually work to a small degree. If Hispanics become the clear “majority minority” of the Democratic party–which seems to be happening–a lot of African Americans will be feeling alienated and angry. Just wait and see what happens if Obama gets rejected on the strength of Hispanic voters backing Hillary almost universally, and then Hillary chooses Bill Richardson for her VP.

aero on February 8, 2008 at 10:17 AM

Typhoon on February 8, 2008 at 10:09 AM

You are absolutely correct.

That is why Allah and other conservatives believe a permanent Democrat majority will be the likely electoral result once Congress passes —yet once again, another amnesty— for tens of millions of law breakers who are in our country illegally.

MM had an interesting article about how the proposed McCain amnesty, “path to USA citizenship” leads to more Democrat votes.

My point is that I personally see Texas as the first Red State to likely fall under a future amnesty. And the transfer of Texas from a Red State to a dominant Blue State will relegate the GOP to a minority status for decades to come.

ColtsFan on February 8, 2008 at 10:25 AM

How is it that HUCKABEE has the best sense of humor out of all the presidential candidates?

Next, I want to see Obama throwing darts at a map of the U.S. with Lou Dobbs.

Enrique on February 8, 2008 at 10:29 AM

As messed up as primaries are and people dropping before half of the county gets the vote, I say we put candidates through a series of challenges like air hockey, kick boxing, and human tetris.

- The Cat

MirCat on February 8, 2008 at 10:47 AM

Huckabee loves Huckabee. The more Huckabee he can see on TV the better.

EJDolbow on February 8, 2008 at 10:06 AM

And that is why he’s still around…

SkinnerVic on February 8, 2008 at 10:50 AM

The problem with Huckabee is that he lost all that weight, so he loves to see himself in the mirror or on TV. Someone should have given him a lifetime gift certificate to Pizza Hut and Huckabee would have eaten himself out of contention.

NNtrancer on February 8, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Friggin’ Redlasso..

Just waited at least an hour for it to precache, only to discover it flushes the cache when it gets to the end of the video.

Yay. That was worth staying up till two in the morning for.

Bed.

Reaps on February 8, 2008 at 11:05 AM

Next, I want to see Obama throwing darts at a map of the U.S. with Lou Dobbs.

Enrique on February 8, 2008 at 10:29 AM

I think that’s what Howard Dean has in mind for the convention if they haven’t picked a nominee by then..

now bed.

Reaps on February 8, 2008 at 11:06 AM

I’m moving.

Texyank on February 8, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Well it looks like Mike Huckabee can continue his parody of a Republican, as a regular on the Colbert Report when he gets out of the race. Who knows, in a couple years he may repeat Colbert’s success and have a spin-off show of his own.

Tim Pancoast on February 8, 2008 at 11:09 AM

CP on February 8, 2008 at 10:13 AM

That seems true of everyone this campaign season. Who is still relevant? Who drives public opinion on the Republican side? I can’t tell.

TX Mom on February 8, 2008 at 11:13 AM

infidel2 on February 8, 2008 at 10:01 AM

I think it definitely hurts him, and would hurt the GOP ticket if he’s the VP candidate. Especiallly if Obama is the Dem nominee, with his (largely empty rhetoric) message of “change” – I can only imagine how the GOP will come across if they have on the ticket a guy who won’t even acknowledge what most people don’t even consider disputed scientific fact anymore, i.e. evolution. Most Americans (who are not hardcore left or right, but mostly in the middle) can forgive the conservatives being……well, conservative…..on social issues, because that’s their gimmick, and they would probably give Huckabee a bit of a break because he is, in some strange way, likable and has personality and is a minister (thus prompting him to have his political views influenced by religious teachings), but something like that I just think would be too much for most people to ignore. It’s just too damn wacky, people can’t take him seriously.

You’re right, though, his record is the real albatross.

I’d like a McCain / Romney ticket, but I don’t think it’ll happen. Romney’s likely banking on a McCain loss, to pave the way for a 2012 bid.

Vyce on February 8, 2008 at 11:14 AM

Very presidential.

Valiant on February 8, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Huck reminds me of Ft. Worth Tx when I did some work there.

Crossing county lines to get a drink: A road separates my hotel and a Chillies restaurant. County line runs down the road. On one side, the hotel, there’s no liquor license while across the street at Chillies you can get a TABC card to get a beer.

I asked what’s the difference? Dry county.

Sorry, but that makes Texas dysfunctional. Like a clown president.

Kini on February 8, 2008 at 12:18 PM

Sorry, but that makes Texas dysfunctional. Like a clown president.

Kini on February 8, 2008 at 12:18 PM

Dysfunctional, indeed.

It is called choice. If a county decides to be dry, that is its choice, is it not?

sanantonian on February 8, 2008 at 12:30 PM

And Dobson seems desperate for relevance,

Allah, do I detect a hint of DDS — Dobson Derangement Syndrome? ;-)

P.S. I am a Hunter McCain supporter.

sanantonian on February 8, 2008 at 12:33 PM

sanantonian on February 8, 2008 at 12:30 PM

It’s not choice if one county can and another other not. It’s allowing one group to dictate to all others what will be allowed or tolerated within a county in state borders is not choice.
Thou shalt not drink.
Zoning laws aside, restricting the sale and use of alcohol in a county is archaic and a bad use of public laws. You cannot legislate morality that is excepted behaviour and legal because of religious practices say you can’t.

Kini on February 8, 2008 at 12:49 PM

If we give Huck his own talk show, will he go away?

sulla on February 8, 2008 at 1:37 PM

This is a test – ignore.

Here