Video: Romney’s emotional goodbye; Update: He’ll run again, says advisor; Update: We’re pressing on, says Team Huck; Update: McCain calls Mitt

posted at 1:34 pm on February 7, 2008 by Allahpundit

In which Mitt himself answers the question posed recently by InstaGlenn about whether Romney 2008 = Reagan 1976. What’s the best thing about this? The goodwill it’ll earn him among the party establishment for not dragging out the primary? The fond memory it creates in the mind of the base of a man willing to sacrifice his own ambition to support victory in Iraq? The venom it’ll draw from the left about him using the war as political cover for his own failure? Or the fact that it backs Huckabee into a corner by framing the continuation of his own campaign as effectively furthering the Democrats’ plans for withdrawal?

Virginia’s five days away and Huck stands a chance of hurting McCain. Over to you, Christian leader.

Update: Reagan 1980?

Making the dramatic announcement at the annual Conservative Political Action Conference at a Washington hotel, Romney clearly hoped to preserve the goodwill of his party for another possible bid in 2012. He intends to run again in four years, according to a senior member of his inner circle.

“He should be president. 2012,” the confidant e-mailed after talking to Romney.

Update: He didn’t tell many people it was coming. Not McCain. Not even the Mitthead faithful assembled.

Update: A pro forma statement of perseverance from the Huckabee camp. I can only assume they think they’re going to lose next Tuesday, which would give their guy a convenient excuse to exit. But what if he wins Virginia? You can’t quit after a victory, especially one that would embarrass McCain.

Update: The decision came last night.

Update: Heh.

According to a senior McCain adviser, McCain told Romney that he “admired his speech today and that he was a tough competitor.” McCain also told Romney he looks forward to sitting down with him at the earliest opportunity.

McCain did not ask Romney for his endorsement…

We’re also told McCain will reach out to Romney’s supporters and ask for their votes when he speaks at the top of the hour at the Conservative Political Action Committee conference.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I can see it now. Huckabee drops out. Ancient McCain dies of a heart attack. Ron Paul becomes the Republican nominee.

NNtrancer on February 7, 2008 at 1:35 PM

NNtrancer
Thats just so so soooo wrong… And scary.
It will probaly happen now man, you shouldn’t tempt the fates, they have a wicked sense of humor.

Wyrd on February 7, 2008 at 1:37 PM

I can say that Mitt just earned some significant goodwill from me with his statement about the priority.

BillINDC on February 7, 2008 at 1:37 PM

The Democrats have already won.

deewhybee on February 7, 2008 at 1:37 PM

NNtrancer on February 7, 2008 at 1:35 PM

OMG! Please, I’m already having nightmares!

kcd on February 7, 2008 at 1:38 PM

It won’t matter anyway. I’ll vote for McCain, but I’m getting used to saying “President Obama”.

Dr. Gecko on February 7, 2008 at 1:39 PM

We’ll miss you, Mitt.

Thay boy was our last hope.

No…there is another.

MadisonConservative on February 7, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Where’s my bottle of Jack again?

Geronimo on February 7, 2008 at 1:39 PM

What a class act. Great speech.

Luckedout on February 7, 2008 at 1:40 PM

NNtrancer on February 7, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Oh were it not for the fact that in such a scenario you end up with a brokered convention, and Huckabee’s crusading ways might just nip him in the bud where Romney’s calculated move ensures him the nomination with the party establishment.

Seriously, this is quite possibly Romney’s most brilliant viable move. Leave with class, put yourself in good graces with the party, and cast the bigot evangelical in poor light all in one shot.

BKennedy on February 7, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Yawn

Obama 08′

TOPV on February 7, 2008 at 1:40 PM

The number of voters on Dem tickets and Rep tickets already sealed that fate. It was like 3:2 or 2:1 or something. It’s just a numbers game. Democrats want it more.

lorien1973 on February 7, 2008 at 1:41 PM

The MSM is on a roll. The McCain vs Hillary election is halfway there. Lets see if the attacks on Obama increase to the point that the erosion of his support starts. Obama has her on the ropes, but the calvary is on the way. Is it too late to save her? This should be interesting to see if they pull it off.

volsense on February 7, 2008 at 1:41 PM

NNtrancer on February 7, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Romney is a smart cookie. He did NOT drop out, he suspended his campaign. If McCain drops dead, Romney need only fire the campaign back up and he is off to the races.

EJDolbow on February 7, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Mitt and others know that the Republicans are going down in a big way in November.

Rumor has it that Gore is going to endorse Obama. It’s almost over for Hillary unless she can get the D-machine to pull it off for her.

No one is going to beat Obama – it’s a big emotional thing.

He’ll ruin the country and Mitt will be back in 2012 to take back the party and the country. I hope Mike Huckabee sinks along with the McTitanic.

Will Mike pull out on Saturday. He now looks like a fool.

stenwin77 on February 7, 2008 at 1:41 PM

The best thing about the speech was the truth that it contained about who we are as a nation. It was a great speech and it sets the bar for McCain. That needed to be done, and that is the second best thing about the speech.

INC on February 7, 2008 at 1:41 PM

blockquote>Mitt is a class act all the way. Too bad, he was the best candidate in my opinion. I hope he runs again in 2012.
Where’s my bottle of Jack again?

Geronimo on February 7, 2008 at 1:39 PM

He was the best candidate. What does that say about our country, when we would choose John “backstabber” McCain over Mitt? God save America.

kcd on February 7, 2008 at 1:41 PM

cast the bigot evangelical in poor light all in one shot.

BKennedy on February 7, 2008 at 1:40 PM

I’m an evangelical who voted for Mitt. Could we please stop with this?

INC on February 7, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Falling on his sword.

Couple of thoughts here.

I don’t think Mitt fell on his sword. And if he is a team player during the remaining months of the campaign, he will come through this smelling sweet.

I think Huck will be next.

bnelson44 on February 7, 2008 at 1:42 PM

I need a drink…he was our last hope.

hollygolightly on February 7, 2008 at 1:42 PM

McCsin stomps Hillary into a Pantsuit Pancake, then trashes the Rebulican Party worse than any Bush ever did

or, wait, maybe it’s the other way around……..

Janos Hunyadi on February 7, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Like I said in another blog’s comment thread, in the end, I think given the tenor of their respective campaigns, Romney will come out of this with a much better political future than Huckabee, who has irritated basically everyone in the coalition but his base.

Romney just lowed the chance of Huckabee being part of the ticket.

Slublog on February 7, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Mitt and Jindal/Steele/DeMint/Petraeus/Cornyn ’12!

locke on February 7, 2008 at 1:43 PM

whether Romney 2008 = Reagan 1976

Unfortunately, the four years following 1976 sowed the seeds of the wars we’re still fighting today, from Iraq to Afghanistan, not to mention the cold war with Iran, and its hot embers in Lebanon, Gaza, and Iraq. So the “difference” Romney talks about is much smaller than it might seem.

calbear on February 7, 2008 at 1:44 PM

It won’t matter anyway. I’ll vote for McCain, but I’m getting used to saying “President B. Hussein Obama”.

Dr. Gecko on February 7, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Chew on that for a while.

labrat on February 7, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Slublog on February 7, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Too bad his base wins more states than Romney’s base.

lorien1973 on February 7, 2008 at 1:44 PM

I’m packing for my move to British Columbia. I’ll be back in 4 yrs. Bye Ya’ll!!!

Gartrip on February 7, 2008 at 1:44 PM

labrat on February 7, 2008 at 1:44 PM

You do realize that highlighting an unfortunate middle name only minimizes your argument, don’t you?

lorien1973 on February 7, 2008 at 1:45 PM

Allah,

Answering your questions in order:

1. Romney scores big brownie points by this suspension of his campaign at a conservative gathering for his potential future bid in ’12.

2. Yes, but more than that, he believes what he says about not dragging out the campaign because of our fight against radical Islam. There’s PR reasons too, but I don’t think his stated reasons are disingenuous.

3. Yes, that is part of it.

4. Perhaps, but I’m not really sure about that. If true, then it will be something he will need to address in his next campaign.

5. It definitely looks that way to me, at least to us armchair pundits.

Weebork on February 7, 2008 at 1:45 PM

EJDolbow on February 7, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Seriously, what is the difference in dropping out and suspending? Is this a strategy move of some kind?

kcd on February 7, 2008 at 1:45 PM

NNtrancer on February 7, 2008 at 1:35 PM

I think Mitt’s campaign suspension would be lifted in short order… Seriously though, we’re in trouble when we’re nominating a 72 year old man. It’s going to be extremely important who McCain choses as his running mate.

krabbas on February 7, 2008 at 1:45 PM

Jesus, what do we do now?
Brit Hume says it is all over. McAmnasty is the man. Who gets all the RomOney votes? If Huckleberry continues can’t he pick up enough RomOney votes to turn it into an open convention? Thats what I want to see – a good old fashioned convention with all the wheeling and dealing and vote after vote to come up with the candidate.
I think Brit may have been a little too fast in making his assessment that it is all over.
I can’t wait to see what kind of reception McAmnasty gets today. I hope they boo the b**turd out of there.

OBX Pete on February 7, 2008 at 1:45 PM

EJDolbow on February 7, 2008 at 1:41 PM

He knows and everyone knows that McCain is not going win. It doesn’t matter if it’s Hillary or Obama, McCain will lose. I’m just guessing that he will lose by smaller margin if it’s Hillary.

SECOND LOOK AT LOSING BY THE SMALLER MARGIN!

terryannonline on February 7, 2008 at 1:45 PM

That was an outstanding speech. My respect for Romney has grown over the last few months. I wish I could say the same thing about McCain.

Aggie85 on February 7, 2008 at 1:46 PM

I know I’m in a minority, but I think McCain will win by a landslide on 11/4. The Dems are heading for a brokered convention, Obama will be shafted, and blacks will stay home in droves on election day.
Meanwhile, McCain has nine months to mend fences with a base who absolutely despises Hillary.

infidel65 on February 7, 2008 at 1:46 PM

Turn out the liiiiiiights the party’s over. The last song, has been sung.

If he supports McCain I will be surprised and impressed though. We shall see.

Dash on February 7, 2008 at 1:46 PM

kcd on February 7, 2008 at 1:41 PM

I just watched the video and it make me choke up. I would follow him into a burning building if he asked me to. It really is sad because he would have been a Rushmorian President.

Geronimo on February 7, 2008 at 1:46 PM

I’m not a big Romney fan, but I see it potentially helping him the next time he decides to run.

In 2000, McCain was the “outsider.” In 2008, he became the “establishment” candidate. It’s a long way off of course, but that could happen for Mitt.

asc85 on February 7, 2008 at 1:47 PM

Rush Limbaugh is considering having a fundraiser for Hillary in order to push her to the nomination.

amerpundit on February 7, 2008 at 1:47 PM

Mitt should’ve given more speeches like that while his campaign was still alive.

krabbas on February 7, 2008 at 1:47 PM

Hickaberry quits race and sucks up to McCain with his delegates for the #2 spot. Mitt refires his campaign and conservatives unite and go to a brokered convention. Will it happen? Probably not, but a fun scenario to consider. Come on Hickaberry do your part to get the #2 spot now.

volsense on February 7, 2008 at 1:48 PM

Really great speech from Mitt at CPAC today. I wish he would have spoke with this level of conviction throughout the entire campaign.

The Hayekian on February 7, 2008 at 1:48 PM

Hey Huck,

You’re right- it’s a two man race and you’re in it. You look like a total fool. Mitt looks Reaganesque – departing the race with complete class.

stenwin77 on February 7, 2008 at 1:48 PM

Good point, BKennedy. If McCain did keel over, I suspect Huckabee would take it as God clearing the way for his candidacy. Then he could walk into the convention, part the crowd with a wave of his staff, and threaten Obama, saying, “Let my people win!” That should impress the conventioneers enought to support him.

NNtrancer on February 7, 2008 at 1:48 PM

I’m an evangelical who voted for Mitt. Could we please stop with this?

INC on February 7, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Are you a bigot? No.

Are some evangelicals, usually those supporting Huckabee bigots? Yes. Yes they are. They FEAR Mormons because all their life they’ve been taught anyone who isn’t a God-fearing Protestant (they hate Catholics too) is supporting a vile perversion of the word of God, and must be barred from higher office on the basis that they aren’t God-fearing Protestants.

That’s the reality.

BKennedy on February 7, 2008 at 1:49 PM

A couple of points to address this valid point:

True, but …

1. If Hillary is nominated, her sky-high unfavorability and McCain’s crossover appeal will make it a close race that McCain can win if the party unites to keep her out of the WH.

2. If Obama wins, McCain is in trouble, but there are a fair number of (older, white) democrats that will cross over to McCain instead of Obama. But overall yeah, McCain will have much longer odds.

BillINDC on February 7, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Re: Mitt’s speech: I said on the other thread:

There was a lot of truth in what Mitt had to say, even if the fire and passions came late. The difficulty and agony of the campaign brought this out. IMO, sometimes difficulties are needed to clarify your voice and to give you that passion and drive. This may be one of the first major bumps in his life that Mitt has ever had.

Reagan had many bumps along the road, and they came early. This was of tremendous value in bringing home to him what he believed and what the principles were to which he would rally.

INC on February 7, 2008 at 1:49 PM

No one is going to beat Obama – it’s a big emotional thing.

Old people vote. Young people don’t. That alone could mean that McCain has a chance, even if most Americans prefer Obama.

calbear on February 7, 2008 at 1:49 PM

kcd on February 7, 2008 at 1:45 PM

Unless someone already beat me to the punch…

It has to do with picking up matching funds if you “suspend” your candidacy. If you drop out, apparently, they don’t match.

Edwards “suspended” his campaign as well, rather than drop out.

asc85 on February 7, 2008 at 1:49 PM

As much as I loved Reagan, I always wondered what would have happened in 1976 if he had not fought Ford so hard, and instead have actively worked to elect Ford.

doufree on February 7, 2008 at 1:50 PM

infidel65 on February 7, 2008 at 1:46 PM

It really is beginning to look like Obama will get the nomination. (Gore’s going to endorse him). McCain will not beat Obama.

stenwin77 on February 7, 2008 at 1:50 PM

hollygolightly on February 7, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Slublog on February 7, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Heh. Agree with you both.

Spirit of 1776 on February 7, 2008 at 1:50 PM

kcd on February 7, 2008 at 1:45 PM

Yeah I think he’s saying he is still running for pres, only next time. INstead of starting over in 2012 he’ll just pick up where he left off.

- The Cat

MirCat on February 7, 2008 at 1:51 PM

I think it’s at this point that al-Qaeda’s plans for the next few years begin taking form…

Halley on February 7, 2008 at 1:51 PM

krabbas on February 7, 2008 at 1:47 PM

He gave dozens of them, you just did not hear them.

EJDolbow on February 7, 2008 at 1:51 PM

P.S. Is Huck as CPAC?

MirCat on February 7, 2008 at 1:51 PM

OBX Pete on February 7, 2008 at 1:45 PM

Stupid question time. How often have candidates who won by finagling at a convention gone on to do what they said they would do? I honestly don’t know. Not enough of a historian.

Sorry to see you go Mitt.

Duncan Khuver on February 7, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Blindsided
Posted by: Jonathan Garthwaite at 1:08 PM
In the half-hour before Romney’s speech, his supporters were gearing at their booth area for their big moment as Romney was slated to speak at 12:30pm. They grabbed foam “mitts”, noisemakers and signs and marched down to the ballroom where they expected Mitt Romney to give a “fight to the convention” speech. Because security was so tight due to the Vice President’s speech this morning, most headed into ballroom early and listened to Laura Ingraham’s strong defense of conservative values in the face of a McCain nomination and introduction of Romney. They had no idea what they were really going to hear.

Blindsided.

Yup. Kicked’em in the nuts! NICE JOB MITT.

Ex-tex on February 7, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Watch the media slings and arrows flying at the Maveric now.

They have been waiting for this. Get ready for President Obama or Clinton. It’s coming and the media has done it!

conservnut on February 7, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Suspending his campaign? You mean like Perot in 1992?

Bigfoot on February 7, 2008 at 1:53 PM

P.S. Is Huck as CPAC?

MirCat on February 7, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Yes. He’s speaking Saturday, I believe.

amerpundit on February 7, 2008 at 1:54 PM

Suspending his campaign? You mean like Perot in 1992?

Bigfoot on February 7, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Rudy suspended his campaign, too. So did Edwards.

amerpundit on February 7, 2008 at 1:54 PM

No one could dare claim I’m a liberal. I’m definitely right of center and more often than not I’m definitely on the side of Rush, Hannity, Ingram, et.al. However, listening to them right know, I cannot help but see those Code Pink nutjobs protesting outside Pelosi’s office because she’s not liberal enough. You all need to take a step back and take a long look at yourself. You look the fool.

There is a political continuum:

Left | Right
_______________|__________________
DEM | GOP

During the primary all the candidates battle it out for the heart of the party. Whoever wins, wins. Then you line up and beat the other side. If McCain is not far enough right for you, too bad. He is to the right of Hillary or Obama. He has the support of the largest portion of our party. He won the primary. He is our standard bearer. If you do not get behind him now you are: 1) a bad team mate; 2) a traitor to our men in arms; 3) a fool. Measure yourself for a pink tee-shirt your fringe kooks.

tommylotto on February 7, 2008 at 1:54 PM

I’m done.
The republicans like McCain can have the show.
I quit. Let the collectivists like Collins, Snowe, Clinton and Obama screw it up. Maybe we can have a comeback if we still have a country.

woodswalking1 on February 7, 2008 at 1:56 PM

Will Mike pull out on Saturday. He now looks like a fool.

stenwin77 on February 7, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Whadya mean “now”? He always did.

sloopy on February 7, 2008 at 1:57 PM

MirCat,

On the front page of C-PAC’s website, there is a short list of speakers. The president, V.P., Gov Romney, Sen McCain, Ron Paul, of all people, and many others who’s names we’d recognize are listed, but Gov Huckabee is not. Perhaps he is attending but not speaking???

Weebork on February 7, 2008 at 1:57 PM

krabbas on February 7, 2008 at 1:47 PM

For real!

terryannonline on February 7, 2008 at 1:59 PM

After the election – one thing will ring true – all of us can be President, too.

Just say “change” and appear “inspirational.”

It’s in the bag.

America is a nation of cattle – chew on, America. Chew your cud. And, don’t worry. The State will bring you hay in the fields. You’ll be taken care of.

My nation is lost.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 7, 2008 at 1:59 PM

GET A CLUE MCCAIN APOLOGISTS, HE WILL LOSE ANYWAY. GIVE UP ON TRYING TO GET US TO ACCEPT HIS LYING ASS.

echosyst on February 7, 2008 at 2:00 PM

(Gore’s going to endorse him).

stenwin77 on February 7, 2008 at 1:50 PM

You don’t really think that will help him do you? If I was a politician I certainly wouldn’t want an endorsement from that fraudulent b**tard.

OBX Pete on February 7, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Siting out in 2008 is a vote for Obama so if he flops in office it will as much any conservative who sits out fault as those that voted for Obama.

William Amos on February 7, 2008 at 2:03 PM

I didn’t expect the wave of emotion, heart-ache really, that I felt when Mitt dropped out. Maybe it’s part of being a new mom, fearing for my baby’s future and hoping she doesn’t end up in a shar’ia society.

I will vote McCain ONLY because the bloodbath that will be left by withdrawing from Iraq would ruin our credibility and tarnish the soul of our country. We were cruel to leave Vietnam. If we repeat that stupidity we’re finished.

I don’t expect congress to fund the war, or McCain to elect conservative judges. I do expect amnesty, tax hikes, and overall malaise from a McCain presidency.

But I can’t leave my little girl’s future to a military-gutting communist or a single-term, mysterious senator in good conscience.

Damn.

NTWR on February 7, 2008 at 2:03 PM

This has to be addressed. Now that Mitt is out of the race, we are being urged to get behind McCain and to compomise our principles for the good of the party. The problem with this, is the party has decided to make it’s conservative contuency and their principles irrelevant. It we support McCain just to thwart for years of democrat rule, this is what we face instead:
MaCain and probably Huckabee as his running-mate for quite possibly 8 years, then Huckabee for another 8 years, and his liberal running-mate.
In the end we could be face with 16+ years of compromising our principles for the good of their non-conservative party.is that what we really want?
I have decided already, I will write in Mitt. I will not join the straight talk express just for the good of a party that hates me.

paulsur on February 7, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Mitt Romney suspends his campaign. You know who benefits? Mitt Romney.

/HH

Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

Hollowpoint on February 7, 2008 at 2:05 PM

I’ve never said this before and it hurts to say it now, but read what tommylotto said

There is a political continuum:

Left | Right
_______________|__________________
DEM | GOP

tommylotto on February 7, 2008 at 1:54 PM

Yeah I took out the but monkey and jerk moments of what he said though.

- The Cat

P.S. echosyst, caps like yelling will cause people to turn you off, just sayin’.

MirCat on February 7, 2008 at 2:05 PM

Thay boy was our last hope.

No…there is another.

Jindal.

Nosferightu on February 7, 2008 at 2:06 PM

My nation is lost.

This just the political process. Sometimes the nation turns left and sometimes they turn left. Now the nation has turned left we have to find the right has to find it’s voice. We have to rethink the messages we are communicate. It’s now times to go after hearts and minds. And actually I don’t think there is no better time to do this while we have a Democrat in White House.

Yes, I know these are serious times with terrorism and we can’t surrender. I’m just praying that whoever wins in Nov. will take it seriously and do what is right.

This is what America wants.

terryannonline on February 7, 2008 at 2:07 PM

so mitt’s worth 250 mil and you figure w a investment banker who know what hes doing he prob gets an 8% return every year…so on the campaign he spent what…this years interest and a little bit more?

Tacitus on February 7, 2008 at 2:07 PM

MItt Romney suspends campaign…

who does that help? America.

tlclark on February 7, 2008 at 2:07 PM

If immigration is really your big deal then Ron Paul supports your veiws. He wants a closed border.

Yet how many conservative here will pull that leaver for Paul because he supports closed borders ? He is conservative on that issue.

But the truth is Conservatism is more than just a closed border policy its a whole range of issues. Just as we wouldnt back Ron Paul even though he is right on Immigration doesnt mean we shouldnt back John McCain because he is wrong on one issue.

William Amos on February 7, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Then Ron Paul dies, and Alan Keyes becomes the Republican nominee. AAAHHH!

Mark Jaquith on February 7, 2008 at 2:08 PM

DEM | GOP

McCain Today:

Left | Right
Kennedy
Feingold____Lieberman_McCa|in___________Reagan_______
DEM | GOP

That’s how it is tommylotto.

BKennedy on February 7, 2008 at 2:09 PM

What does happen if McCain dies of being 120? Do we have a process for that?

John_Locke on February 7, 2008 at 2:11 PM

“Over to you, Christian leader.”

Easy there AP, I voted for Fred and in hindsight perhaps would have thrown it in with Mitt.

MechEng5by5 on February 7, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Good job Mr. Romney. He put the good of the country ahead of his own ego. He didn’t release his delegates, so if you ghouls get your wish and Senator McCain dies before the convention, he’ll be the replacement nominee, I guess.

And we republicans just love last minute replacement candidates, like Lautenberg.

funky chicken on February 7, 2008 at 2:11 PM

“He should be president. 2012,” the confidant e-mailed after talking to Romney.

Does this mean that a McCain win is not plausible? Or that McCain, if victorious, a one-term POTUS?

If this is to be interpreted as contentious in nature (toward the ’08 republican nominee), shouldn’t it be imperative that Romney be the nominee?

Or is McCain being pushed by the “establishment” because he is the sacrificial lamb (or to some, mutton) because of the popularity of the identity politics (and historical nature) that is energizing the tidal wave of the Obama campaign (and possible winner)?

geckomon on February 7, 2008 at 2:11 PM

tommylotto on February 7, 2008 at 1:54 PM

Thank you for that comment and slur, but to give the whitehouse to the Dems for 4 years is more preferable to me then to surrender it to liberal republicans for 16 or more years.

paulsur on February 7, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Then Ron Paul dies, and Alan Keyes becomes the Republican nominee. AAAHHH!

Mark Jaquith on February 7, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Stranger things have been known to happen.

Gerard on February 7, 2008 at 2:12 PM

BKennedy and Obama is so far left he’s off you screen. But you care too much about the issues to support somebody in the middle? It makes zero sense.

funky chicken on February 7, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Geronimo on February 7, 2008 at 1:46 PM

I got a little teary-eyed too. I also feel more inclined to vote for McCain in the GE. Good job, Mitt, good job.

craig on February 7, 2008 at 2:12 PM

krabbas on February 7, 2008 at 1:47 PM

He did, but the press is more interested in talking about a TV add with a floating cross then it is in this speech being delivered to a bunch of yahoos in Iowa or NH. Plus, why would they want to make Romney look good to voters? They hate him because he says the kinds of things… well… that were in this speech.

Zetterson on February 7, 2008 at 2:13 PM

2012 can’t come quickly enough.

Gartrip on February 7, 2008 at 2:13 PM

Newt 08! Keep hope ali–screw it. I hate this election. I hate the fact that despite my life experiences, I thought that the American people might have a scrap of reason left. Our candidate has been chosen by the media. People need to review the candidates’ positions, not listen to their soundbites.

John_Locke on February 7, 2008 at 2:14 PM

ALL the more reason we gotta make sure the dems don’t gain any ground in the House and Senate. Those are the last walls of defense against the insanity that Clinton/Obama will try to shove down our throats. McCain would likely do his share of shoving, as well.

iurockhead on February 7, 2008 at 2:14 PM

hopefully huck will get a clue and follow Mitt out the door.

And someone knock Ron Paul upside the head and tell him he lost as well.

William Amos on February 7, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Then Ron Paul dies is assassinated by Freemasons in a Black Helocopter, and Alan Keyes Cthulhu becomes the Republican nominee. AAAHHH!

Mark Jaquith on February 7, 2008 at 2:08 PM

FTFY

Well, maybe not fixed it…

Hollowpoint on February 7, 2008 at 2:14 PM