Team Romney source hints that Mitt will drop out? Update: Confirmed — Romney “suspending” campaign; Update: Mitt to endorse McCain?

posted at 11:54 am on February 7, 2008 by Allahpundit

Back-of-the-envelope math by the Globe reveals that Mitt could tie McCain in delegates by March 4 if he wins all of the remaining February primaries … by an 80 percent margin. No one knows yet how things look in winner-take-all Virginia on Tuesday but Maverick’s up 10 points in Maryland per the available polls, which are old enough not to incorporate his Super Tuesday momentum or the centrists he gained from Rudy’s dropout. Byron York wonders whether the sudden deafening silence in his inbox from the Romney PR shop portends a big announcement. Answer: Maybe.

A few moments ago, I spoke to someone in the Romney camp. Would I be crazy to read that into the email traffic? “You would not be crazy to read that into it,” he said. “There have been a lot of discussions going on about whether there is a path to victory, and not wanting to look destructive at what might be the end. You are reading the right thing into it.”

Geraghty says it’s time to start thinking about 2012. Exit question: He takes the stage at CPAC in about 20 minutes, for a speech his campaign was promoting yesterday as “major.” What on earth is he going to say?

Update: And now Mark Halperin’s hearing it. The announcement could come at CPAC.

Update: I’ve got to believe that his speech will be a stemwinder about conservative values and fighting the good fight, all very much with an eye to creating a memory he can leverage four years from now. Shrewd, if so.

Update: If it’s true then needless to say Huckabee 2008 isn’t long for this world either.

Update: More from York. Looks like this is indeed going down at CPAC. High drama.

Update: I’m guessing the decision was made only within the last few hours because the Times report from early this a.m. sure doesn’t sound like a feint:

Mr. Romney, a former Massachusetts governor, delivered an upbeat pep talk to his staff on Wednesday at his Boston headquarters. His advisers are considering television commercials for some of the next states to vote. “They’re making phone calls tonight,” said Tagg Romney, a son of Mr. Romney who is also a senior campaign adviser.

Update: Bryan just called me to say that they confirmed with an American Conservative Union official that Mitt’s “suspending” his campaign. I assume that means dropping out, but in the interests of accuracy that’s the word that was used. MM should have something on this imminently.

Update: Credit where it’s due — Bill Kristol predicted he’d drop out at CPAC on Tuesday night.

Update: Mitt’s got a fee-vah and the only prescription is more Maverick!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Can someone live blog the speech? I can’t hear it here

bnelson44 on February 7, 2008 at 11:59 AM

And here’s the difference between Romney and Huck-a-shmuck. Romney begins thinking about dropping out for the good of the party going forward when there’s no realistic chance of him catching McCain. Huckleberry stays in to bring about that exact scenario for Romney, even though he hasn’t had a snowball’s chance since winning Iowa.

crazy_legs on February 7, 2008 at 11:59 AM

Perish the thought! Willard can’t drop out yet. What are conservatives to do, stay home election day?

countywolf on February 7, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Don’t do it Mitt! I’m voting for you next Tuesday!

BacaDog on February 7, 2008 at 12:01 PM

God help us all. Mitt is a good man and deserved a shot at Hillary/Obama.

OKCubsFan on February 7, 2008 at 12:01 PM

I guess I will have to vote for Obama sooner than I thought (in the VA primaries next week). Oh well.

Obama 08′

TOPV on February 7, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Sad

echosyst on February 7, 2008 at 12:02 PM

HE’S PLAYING THE UNITER! EXCELLENT!!! Does he speak first or does McCain?

Vizzini on February 7, 2008 at 12:02 PM

I don’t see how 2012 will be any different for Mitt. He might be a better campgaigner next time around, but he’ll still be from Massachusetts and he’ll still have the same moderate record. Maybe by then he can convince enough he really has become a conservative, but since he isn’t in office he has no way to demonstrate that conservatism.

flyfisher on February 7, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Hello President Obama!

Ex-tex on February 7, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Well, if it is true that will leave McCain. Guess I will write in Mitt.

On-my-soap-box on February 7, 2008 at 12:03 PM

He’s doing the right thing. He has no chance of securing the nomination at this point.

phronesis on February 7, 2008 at 12:06 PM

Damn.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on February 7, 2008 at 12:06 PM

My primary in Indiana is in May. I guess there’s no reason for me to go and vote then.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on February 7, 2008 at 12:07 PM

flyfisher on February 7, 2008 at 12:03 PM

It’s about cred. Romney ran and got vetted, and now he has time to get his nat’l chomps. Same with Huckabee, although I think Rom’s heading Huck off at the pass as standard bearer of the movement.

Vizzini on February 7, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Well, if he does drop out, we better learn spanish and start carrying a gun ALL the time!

countywolf on February 7, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Not good. Then we’re really stuck with that lying idiot liberal, McCain.

Memo to McCain camp: Do not call Zorro for money.

Zorro on February 7, 2008 at 12:08 PM

About 30 seconds after Mitt drops out. Then he can sit on McCain’s lap full time!

Darksean on February 7, 2008 at 12:09 PM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on February 7, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Well, the Dem primaries might still be going strong by then. It might be worthwhile to vote in that one, if it’s possible.

Big S on February 7, 2008 at 12:09 PM

Obama 08′

TOPV on February 7, 2008 at 12:01 PM

TOPV, sadly, you’re not alone.

If I can’t vote for a REAL conservative, then frankly, I’ll vote to stop Hitlery in Virginia’s primary.

Man it sux to be a conservative these days. Where the hell did our once-proud movement go???

Shirotayama on February 7, 2008 at 12:10 PM

Yeah, we need to make it as easy as possible for the RINO brigade to take over.

echosyst on February 7, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Your next President… Obama

abinitioadinfinitum on February 7, 2008 at 12:11 PM

I wonder if he and Mac buried the hatchet.

The only way I will vote for McCain is if Mitt Romney or Jim DeMint or Mark Sanford is his VP

EJDolbow on February 7, 2008 at 12:11 PM

I really admire Mitt Romney. I will be sorry to see him go.

I can hear the coyotes tuning up in the distance. It’s going to be a long five years.

RushBaby on February 7, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Well, I guess this election cycles teaches us that we really don’t know how the election is going to unfold.

Weebork on February 7, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Off topic (sorta): Are you ready to be assimilated into the Bloomborg?

Big S on February 7, 2008 at 12:12 PM

EJDolbow on February 7, 2008 at 12:11 PM

I don’t see Mitt being a VP choice.

bnelson44 on February 7, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Oh yeah, protect the unborn, vote Obama. The most radical pro-choice candidate left in the race on either side.

Hillary is a whole lot better choice if you’re gonna support a dem. She’s not gonna think we should coddle the sharia lovers like Obama either.

Pull your heads out of your asses people. We have military people in harm’s way.

funky chicken on February 7, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Your next President… Obama

abinitioadinfinitum on February 7, 2008 at 12:11 PM

If the dems go to a bartered convention, their nominee will be Hillary

bnelson44 on February 7, 2008 at 12:14 PM

Mitt had a lot of competition.

abinitioadinfinitum on February 7, 2008 at 12:14 PM

Is it ok for me to indulge in some anti-Huck schaedenfreude after McCain tosses him away like a tattered dishrag now that he will no longer have any use for him?

thirteen28 on February 7, 2008 at 12:14 PM

Does he speak first or does McCain?

Vizzini on February 7, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Romney first at 12:30, McVain at 3:30.

Califemme on February 7, 2008 at 12:14 PM

Big S on February 7, 2008 at 12:09 PM

I just checked and Indiana is an open primary. I forgot that I wanted to vote for the Republican challenger to Dan Burton. He missed more votes last year (to play golf) than Julia Carson (who was dying at the time).

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on February 7, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Nurse Bloomberg. Good God, what a maroon.

I’m gonna vote for the guy who is screwing up Rudy’s accomplishments in NYC?

What’s his slogan gonna be? Bloomberg, because trans-fats and second hand smoke are the greatest threats to our civilization?

funky chicken on February 7, 2008 at 12:15 PM

thirteen28 on February 7, 2008 at 12:14 PM

I think Huck was auditioning for FoxNews anyway.

bnelson44 on February 7, 2008 at 12:15 PM

I don’t see Mitt being a VP choice.

bnelson44 on February 7, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Agreed. McCain is too hateful and simple minded to consider statesmanship.

Zorro on February 7, 2008 at 12:15 PM

bnelson @12:13

Yeah, I doubt it too. It’ll be someone else. That is, if this “conventional wisdom” that I’ve been hearing since yesterday about McCain “needing” to pick up a conservative VP.

Conventional wisdom, indeed.

Weebork on February 7, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Maybe we’ll get lucky and McLame will pick Fred for Veep?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on February 7, 2008 at 12:16 PM

I don’t see Mitt being a VP choice.

bnelson44 on February 7, 2008 at 12:13 PM

True enough, but I don’t think Huck ends up any better. Consider this: McCain needs conservatives; Romney gives it to him and heads the movement. Tamps down the fires et all that will erupt and comes from the wilderness in 4 or 8 years to lead. It’s a brilliant move.

Vizzini on February 7, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Say it ain’t so.

voiceofreason on February 7, 2008 at 12:16 PM

thirteen28 on February 7, 2008 at 12:14 PM

Heh. I wonder how long it wouold take the Huck supporters to start flame-throwing spittle at their screen…

Califemme on February 7, 2008 at 12:17 PM

If you really think Obama would be a safe bet at POTUS, please google Odinga and Kenya, and know that Obama campaigned for Odinga in 2006 because they are members of the same tribe. Obama still hasn’t denounced Odinga or his violent reaction to losing the election.

Also google Obama and Alinsky (or Alinski) gotta go for a few, but do some research

funky chicken on February 7, 2008 at 12:17 PM

So when this is over and McCain loses the general, will the conservative pundits and bloggers who told us to “eat sh*t and die”, oops, “hold our noses and vote for McShamnesty” become irrelevant and a NEW crop of truly CONSERVATIVE PUNDITS and BLOGGERS rise up to take their place??!

Just wonderin’ if a conservative will have a real shot.

Ex-tex on February 7, 2008 at 12:17 PM

countywolf

Don’t give up! My community has turned into a 3rd world nightmare, but my family is fighting back. We’ve contacted the sheriff of our county and he actually answered back. We’re in contact with a “quality of life” committee about the crime in our neighborhood.

You also have local politicans to vote out, as well as state. (Say goodbye Isakson & Chambliss.) So don’t give up as there is still a lot you can do.

If McCain picks Romney as his VP, I would have to think long and hard to vote for McCain.

moonsbreath on February 7, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Things to do list…

Buy Spanish Language Learning DVD
Buy Arabic Language Learning DVD
Buy Large jar of Vaseline…

PappaMac on February 7, 2008 at 12:18 PM

I think Halperin’s take on what he could have done has some good points in it.

Buy Danish on February 7, 2008 at 12:18 PM

I just heard the announcement on Fox News. Apparently, Mitt Romney will make the announcement sometime today. This has made me loath both McCain and Huckabee.

Now what…

sinsing on February 7, 2008 at 12:19 PM

Oh, and I dearly hope John F’n Kerry sealed his fate this morning with his “tornadoes are caused by global warming” remarks. I hope Romney heard that and decided to beat his sorry ass in 2010.

It’s the Romney supporters who do the flame-throwing spittle, in my experience.

funky chicken on February 7, 2008 at 12:19 PM

funky chicken on February 7, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Someone on another thread was saying that a Luo has never been president of Kenya, but the US may have it’s first Luo president in 2008. Scary. Same guy who burned down a church with 50 people inside…

Califemme on February 7, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Vizzini on February 7, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Problem, though. McCain is a hot-head and holds grudges. He won’t pick Romney.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on February 7, 2008 at 12:22 PM

My wife said, “no longer actively campaigning but retains delegates and could always return”

Pretty petty if you ask me.

bnelson44 on February 7, 2008 at 12:23 PM

Vizzini on February 7, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Understand I am not happy about this news. He was conservatism’s last chance this year. However, I’ve always believed Mitt couldn’t win because he couldn’t carry the South. I’m unsure what he can do to change his perception here. Familiarity might help next time around, but it won’t change who he is. Also, next time Huck may or may not be a problem, but there will always be someone else better suited to resonate in the South.

flyfisher on February 7, 2008 at 12:23 PM

Buh-bye Flipper. He is a good man not willing to fight for conservatives or he would have taken McCain out at the knees (same for Fred¡)

OBAMA ’08!

You Virginians can vote in either primary. Do some good with your vote and take out the glacier.

Valiant on February 7, 2008 at 12:24 PM

CBS news is reporting on the radio right now that Romney is out.

Nineball on February 7, 2008 at 12:24 PM

OOps, I meant Odinga… not Obama.

Califemme on February 7, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Here’s some good news to cheer you up:
Marion Barry will endorse Obama.

The Charles Taylor and Omar al-Bashir endorsements are likely to come soon.

Vote Sauron 08 on February 7, 2008 at 12:26 PM

You know it feels real special to have my absentee primary ballot in the mail with a vote for a candidate no longer in the race. I should have just voted for Thompson; also on the ballot. This presidential primary process is ridiculous. I think it’s time for a nationwide primary day. Same rules for everyone. Winner take all or proportional – I don’t care, just make it the same for everyone.

UndertheBridge on February 7, 2008 at 12:26 PM

How `bout that Obama Cult?

BTW, I was earlier thinking that ending this campaign early would be good. The problem is that Ron Paul is probably sitting on a bunch of cash. I can really see him going 3rd party now.

ninjapirate on February 7, 2008 at 12:26 PM

With Romney out, I just freed up a lot of time following the Presidential race. I’ll be home on election day.

Going out to buy me an ipod and some Enquirer mags to catch up on Britney Spears.

Oddly though, I could vote for Huckabee but never for McCain. Like I said, I’ll be home on election day…

voiceofreason on February 7, 2008 at 12:27 PM

Well this isn’t a surprise. I wonder if he will remain in politics or go back to the private sector?

csdeven on February 7, 2008 at 12:27 PM

FYI, I would love to cuss straight out loud…

First I supported Fred and he dropped… I switch my support to Mitt and now…. DAMN! I should have STARTED by supporting McCain and then Huckabee and then we might have been left with Fred and Mitt.

Seriously… is it too late for Fred to come back? Can he and Mitt hook up at the convention?

Oink on February 7, 2008 at 12:28 PM

csdeven on February 7, 2008 at 12:27 PM

There is talk of him running for Senate in MA (of course that means renigging on his recently found conservatism)

bnelson44 on February 7, 2008 at 12:28 PM

I hope Ron Paul goes 3rd party bid – Anything to rile up the cranks!

SkinnerVic on February 7, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Idi Amin’s corpse for Obama!

Wake up folks, Obama’s a disaster.

funky chicken on February 7, 2008 at 12:29 PM

The Charles Taylor and Omar al-Bashir endorsements are likely to come soon.

Vote Sauron 08 on February 7, 2008 at 12:26 PM

I’m sure Barry could have locked up the Idi Amin endorsement too if he wasn’t dead.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on February 7, 2008 at 12:30 PM

My wife said John Edwards did the same so he can retain control over his delegates. I guess it is the smart thing to do after all.

bnelson44 on February 7, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Could suspending mean a VP slot?

Dusty on February 7, 2008 at 12:30 PM

funky chicken o

n February 7, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Great minds. Great minds……

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on February 7, 2008 at 12:30 PM

McCain will pick Rudy. The Repubs in DC cannot become liberal fast enough and this will be the fast track.

On-my-soap-box on February 7, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Damn…. McCain better swear a blood oath in his speech or something… I might write in Gen. Patraeus….

liquidflorian on February 7, 2008 at 12:31 PM

SECOND LOOK AT ALAN KEYES!

HYTEAndy on February 7, 2008 at 12:31 PM

LOL

funky chicken on February 7, 2008 at 12:31 PM

voiceofreason on February 7, 2008 at 12:27 PM

I will be voting just not for president. I will vote for Senator Dole, and against etheridge. But I will be leaving the top of the ticket blank.

unseen on February 7, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Could suspending mean a VP slot?

Dusty on February 7, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Just means he isn’t releasing his delegates yet.

bnelson44 on February 7, 2008 at 12:31 PM

I really hope the RNC is happy about getting 35% of the vote come November. I guess McCain is busy rewriting his CPAC speech to really stick it in everybody’s eyes (and back, and gut).

steveegg on February 7, 2008 at 12:32 PM

SECOND LOOK AT ALAN KEYES!

HYTEAndy on February 7, 2008 at 12:31 PM

LOL! We would all have to go back to school for a refresher on philosophy!

bnelson44 on February 7, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Interesting. Inevitable.

Spirit of 1776 on February 7, 2008 at 12:33 PM

steveegg on February 7, 2008 at 12:32 PM

McCain was the strongest candidate for the general that we had.

bnelson44 on February 7, 2008 at 12:33 PM

PappaMac on February 7, 2008 at 12:18 PM

Ha ha. And true.

BowHuntingTexas on February 7, 2008 at 12:34 PM

McCain was the strongest candidate for the general that we had.

Nope. He will lose.

echosyst on February 7, 2008 at 12:34 PM

…Hillary is a whole lot better choice if you’re gonna support a dem. She’s not gonna think we should coddle the sharia lovers like Obama either… funky chicken on February 7, 2008 at 12:13 PM

And you want us to pull our heads out of our asses?

Hillary & Bill are evil. They are not strong on terrorism by any stretch…check the records.

If we are going to lose, and we will, Obama is the guy to lose to.

Suicide Voter.

Dorvillian on February 7, 2008 at 12:34 PM

God help us if (#1 liberal in the Senate)Obama wins. Two or three young liberal Supreme Court Justices, WE can’t fix that

KBird on February 7, 2008 at 12:34 PM

First I supported Rudy…

Then I supported Fred…

Then I supported Mitt…

I think it’s clear I’m the kiss of death, so tell me, just WHO should I kill with my support now? Obama? Hillary? McCain?

It’s a target rich environment, where do I lay the kiss of death?

tlclark on February 7, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Just means he isn’t releasing his delegates yet.

bnelson44 on February 7, 2008 at 12:31 PM

It’s time to reassess his mixed of “pledged” versus “unpledged” delegates; the ones he got from Nevada, Iowa and Maine never were really “his”.

steveegg on February 7, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Bobby Mugabe for Obama! Repeat the Zimbabwe miracle!

The dem only wins so they can rape the country if you purists let it happen.

funky chicken on February 7, 2008 at 12:35 PM

I will be voting just not for president…But I will be leaving the top of the ticket blank.

unseen on February 7, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Yep.

RushBaby on February 7, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Buy guns with those $600 / $1200 rebates while you can.

BowHuntingTexas on February 7, 2008 at 12:36 PM

McCain was the strongest candidate for the general that we had.

Even if you believe this nonsense, he’s going to be obliterated in the general. He wont have the cash, the support or the charisma to keep up with Obama. And the Clinton Smear Machine is salivating at the opportunity to take on John McCain. The puddle of drool is visible from space…

HebrewToYou on February 7, 2008 at 12:37 PM

SECOND LOOK AT EXPATRIATION!

SkinnerVic on February 7, 2008 at 12:37 PM

We need a new primary process, this one is ridiculous. Like only half of the states have voted?

- The Cat

MirCat on February 7, 2008 at 12:38 PM

steveegg on February 7, 2008 at 12:35 PM

that’s right

bnelson44 on February 7, 2008 at 12:38 PM

McCain was the strongest candidate for the general that we had.

bnelson44 on February 7, 2008 at 12:33 PM

You still relying on national polls I see. You do realize that McLiar has not been vetted? It will begin the minute he is the nominee and they will hold the big surprise until late October.

Thanks for the next 4 years of Dem rule. I hope you are going to try to get real conservatives elected to congress instead of supporting liberals like McLiar.

csdeven on February 7, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Laura Ingrahm is speaking at C-PAC on C-SPAN in CONUS.

Weebork on February 7, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Romney is doing the right thing here, and deserves credit for putting the good of the party ahead of his own campaign. I wish him well in future endeavors, and if he decides to remain in politics, hopefully he’ll be able to do so in a capacity for him to demonstrate the conservative stances he’s advanced during his campaign.

Hollowpoint on February 7, 2008 at 12:39 PM

- The Cat

MirCat on February 7, 2008 at 12:38 PM

When I was a kid they use to decide these things in backrooms. So at least we have some say in the process.

bnelson44 on February 7, 2008 at 12:39 PM

SECOND LOOK AT ON THE FAST TRACK TO EXPATRIATION!

On-my-soap-box on February 7, 2008 at 12:40 PM