McCain reaching out to talk radio? Update: No booing, warns CPAC

posted at 10:45 am on February 7, 2008 by Allahpundit

If winning over CPAC is a lost cause, wait until he tries Limbaugh. The making of a conservative:

The effort to win over, or at least blunt the opposition, of talk-radio hosts and other movement figures who resent McCain’s maverick style and past departures from conservative orthodoxy involves both high-level surrogates and the candidate himself.

Its targets include the most influential talk-radio voice, Rush Limbaugh, who has been contacted in recent days by a McCain emissary, according to Republican sources.

The McCain campaign is also wooing Sean Hannity. At least two top McCain supporters, including Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), made the pitch to Hannity, who has a radio show in addition to co-hosting his nightly Fox News television program.

The point man on outreach is a guy known among the right wing as “Grahamnesty”? Does McCain understand conservatives at all? He used to be one of us; it shouldn’t be that hard to project backward.

Supposedly he’s got a bunch of cred-earning endorsements lined up, including Frist, George Allen, Haley Barbour, and Ken Mehlman. Good luck, Maverick:

[Phil] Gramm last week told members attending a retreat of the House Republican Study Committee — influential among congressional conservatives — that McCain is far more their ally than their opponent.

But one lawmaker in attendance, who recounted the scene on condition of anonymity, said that when “someone asked for a show of hands of those other than his Arizona colleagues who are backing McCain, of the 20 or so in the room, only one did.”

Exit question: Will CPAC disgrace itself like these little rats did by booing an American hero whose politics they disagree with? The boss, perhaps fearing a fiasco, pleads for calm.

Update: CPAC organizers are pleading too.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Another difference between McCain and the Dems:

Pro-life, pro-McCain

bnelson44 on February 7, 2008 at 11:57 AM

I looked at your link and noted this about ESC research:

McCain asked to continue that conversation, to hear more. Now he realizes that there is no need to exploit “spare” embryos, in light of recent successes with adult cells. And so he has been telling South Carolinians over the last few days.

Please tell me why, a week or so later in Tallahassee, McCain was saying this:

In a conversation with Catholics in Florida and CNA this afternoon, McCain maintained his support for embryonic stem cell research while emphasizing his hope that it will become an academic issue given the latest scientific advances.

When he was asked how he reconciled his otherwise solid pro-life voting record with his support for experimentation on “surplus” embryos, Sen. McCain called his decision to back the research “a very agonizing and tough decision”.

He continued, saying, “All I can say to you is that I went back and forth, back and forth on it and I came in on one of the toughest decisions I’ve ever had, in favor of that research. And one reason being very frankly is those embryos will be either discarded or kept in permanent frozen status.” The senator, while standing firm on his decision added, “I understand how divisive this is among the pro-life community.”

INC on February 7, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Here’s the link, I forgot to include it.

INC on February 7, 2008 at 12:27 PM

I don’t have time to get into a pro-life discussion right now, I just wanted to point out that Maverick appears to be either erroneously reported or else he’s talking out of both sides of his mouth.

INC on February 7, 2008 at 12:28 PM

Of course they’re going to ‘boo’. Conservs are pissed. They’re not only losing the White House, but the whole government by the time the general is over.

countywolf on February 7, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Thats why I say we should get behind and push for conservative reps in the house & senate. The Pesidential bid is lost already. Your choices: Hillary/Obama/McCain. One of these WILL BE THE PREZ! Lets get past it and get to work on helping the people get elected that can stop them or at least hopefully keep them from destroying America for the next 4 yrs.

kcd on February 7, 2008 at 12:30 PM

kcd on February 7, 2008 at 12:30 PM,

You’re right. Our best hope is to be involved with state reps. My senators are hopeless-Nelson & Martinez. All I can do with those guys is call. I put their numbers into my cell last summer.

INC on February 7, 2008 at 12:35 PM

INC on February 7, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Find someone to run againt them! You are not the only person that is very unhappy with your reps!

kcd on February 7, 2008 at 12:37 PM

Update: No booing, warns CPAC

While I’ve already registered my agreement with the “no booing” policy (and, even better, MM’s suggestion of dead silence), what does it say about the state of the GOP when you have to make such pleas regarding the party’s presumptive nominee?

Man, we are in some sorry-a$$ shape right now.

thirteen28 on February 7, 2008 at 12:40 PM

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

So sue me, CPAC

NoFanofLibs on February 7, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Why would I believe anything that McCain has to say to conservatives? His record speaks volumes about the man and what he thinks of conservative values.

I’m not buying anything he says today.

SimplyKimberly on February 7, 2008 at 12:49 PM

no, theyll be too chicken to do it to his face. boos only in absentia, like last year.

its vintage duh on February 7, 2008 at 12:59 PM

Boo’s would be fine with me, as well as a hearty group of fellows standing and turning their backs on him while he speaks, perhaps.

To paraphrase El Rushbo (I think), Republicans are sure being asked to be pretty accomodating and magnanimous towards a candidate who has refused to extend similar courtesies to us.

F him and F the GOP for giving us these crappy candidates.

Midas on February 7, 2008 at 1:01 PM

No Booing…. Hows about hissing

Kini on February 7, 2008 at 1:12 PM

BOOOOO!!!!!

STAYHOME’08

HotAirExpert on February 7, 2008 at 1:15 PM

If the campaign wants to tap the zeitgeist, they should open up two fundraising arms — one “McCain for President ’08″ and one “____________ for veep ’08, and the a****** at the top of the ticket” and see which one gets more contributions.

I know a lot of folks just couldn’t bear to put McCain’s name on the “Pay to” line of a check.

cthulhu on February 7, 2008 at 1:16 PM

It is astounding to me that the GOP establishment is dumb enough to put forth and back a candidate who they have to ask people not to boo at. Here we are with the democrats all pumped up and voting in numbers as much as twice as high as the republicans talking about change and something new, and we are going to run an angry, bitter, back stabbing, corrupt very old man who couldn’t debate himself out of wet paper bag? This is what happens when the GOP establishment forgets who put them into office and why. This election is already lost to us.

Bikerken on February 7, 2008 at 1:28 PM

Problem is, McCain has no ideas, no vision, no nuthin.

Kini on February 7, 2008 at 1:32 PM

That’s the part that amazes me too. If they have to ask conservatives not to react negatively to their candidate, how in hell do they think he can possibly win?? What can they be thinking??

sloopy on February 7, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Update: No booing, warns CPAC

Note: They didn’t say anything about not farting.

Blake on February 7, 2008 at 1:38 PM

Something I don’t think the GOP establishment has thought about is the effect that a McCain candidacy is going to have on the rest of the election too. I believe a lot of conservatives will just stay home because they feel disenfranchised with McCain and will not go to the polls to vote for their congressman who went along with this mess. If my congressman endorses McCain, I won’t vote for him either. I think the GOP get’s slaughtered this year, and they asked for it.

Bikerken on February 7, 2008 at 1:58 PM

I say boooo, to that free speech robbing Republican impostor.

RINO_Hunter on February 7, 2008 at 2:39 PM

…talk-radio hosts and other movement figures who resent McCain’s maverick style and past departures from conservative orthodoxy

First of all, why do you keep quoting The Politico more than all the other libtard media combined?…

And more to the point, of course conservatives don’t hate John McCain because he “departs from conservative orthodoxy” in some arcane and nitpicky sort of way.

We hate John McCain because he’s been kicking us in the crotch twice a week for the past several years, just so he could get his tuber-encrusted face on network TV and joke about it with his liberal “allies.”

The only bright side of this entire mess is that we’ll get to see the look on McCain’s face when he finally realizes that the cool popular kids on the TV playground, who kept telling him they were his best buddies, are going to be giving HIM all the wedgies from now on.

logis on February 7, 2008 at 2:42 PM

A little respect isn’t out of order.

Allahpundit on February 7, 2008 at 11:02 AM

The man certainly doesn’t deserve to be booed.

He deserves to be b$%#h slapped, because that’s exactly what he is.

Allah is such a shill for RINOs.

Jungliszt on February 7, 2008 at 3:03 PM

I don’t see how conservatives can support a man who just a few years ago considered becoming a Democrat for his own personal gain and power.

MTinMN on February 7, 2008 at 3:04 PM

I was trying to explain to a friend how Hillary is too liberal for America.

“Hillary is obviously too liberal for America, after all she supported the McCain Kennedy Amnesty bill.”

I hesitated and then tried again. “Hillary is obviously too liberal for America, she supported the McCain ban on water boarding even in the ticking time bomb scenario, just like McCain.”

I was getting a little desperate.

“Guns, Hillary supported the Brady Law which of course McCain voted to expand.”

“ABORTION, Yes, thank God. Hillary is in favor of Abortion, which of course, McCain said he wouldn’t vote for a constitutional amendment banning.”

By this time I was seeing that I wasn’t making a lot of headway, and grabbed at the last straw I had.

“CIVIL RIGHTS. OK, Civil Rights. Hillary is a big supporter of McCain Feingold.”

“Environment, Hillary has said that McCain Lieberman is a good first start, similar to what she and her husband tried to do in 1993.”

I gave up and walked away right about here. Someone have any ideas how I can demonstrate how different Hillary is from our own candidate?

Snake307 on February 7, 2008 at 3:04 PM

So they are basically asking us to give up our convictions about who should be our nominee?

Riiigggghhtttt. I suspect many republicans will have a little more backbone than this.

etan on February 7, 2008 at 3:09 PM

It’s my party and I’ll boo if I want to!!!

McCain: There’s no fool like an old fool.

landlines on February 7, 2008 at 3:57 PM

You can disagree with him, not like his working with democrats and putting a thumb in the eye of conservatives. I understand you`re dislike and I share skepticism. But booing, hissing…….What does that say about YOUR character?

ThePrez on February 7, 2008 at 4:16 PM

McCainez should have been booed and pelted with rotten eggs.

TwinkietheKid on February 8, 2008 at 7:55 AM

McCainez should have been booed and pelted with rotten eggs.

TwinkietheKid

Naah, that’s disrespectful and inappropriate.

On the other hand, if I’m somewhere and McCain wants to start talking; I’ll get up and leave. Leaving before I do something tacky is considered the appropriate option; and it does tend to get my point across.

At this point, I suspect there’s nothing McCain would be willing to do to get back on my “good side”. He’s never apologized for the anti-Constitutional cluster**** that was Campaign Finance Reform; and I suspect he never will.

He thinks he was right, and I think he was violating his oath of office. I don’t see him bridging that gap, regardless of what he says. So why waste time listening?

I’m not willing to abridge his freedom of speech; one area where we differ; but I can’t see any point in wasting my time listening when he has no chance of winning me over.

gekkobear on February 8, 2008 at 12:17 PM