Down with the ship: Dobson to endorse Huckabee at last

posted at 9:14 pm on February 7, 2008 by Allahpundit

One final bleat for attention, a finger in the eye of the party that’s about to cross him by nominating someone not to his liking and a last-ditch bid to embarrass McCain by mobilizing evangelicals into giving Huck an upset victory somewhere next week. To fully appreciate this you have to listen to the snippet of audio from Dennis Prager in the update to this post from two days ago. He doesn’t endorse in primaries, he says, because it’s up to the people to separate the gold from the dross. Oh, wait — Mitt Romney’s dropped out? Really? Well, that’s entirely different, then!

The “Christian leaders” versus Maverick. Okay then. Second look at McCain.

James Dobson, one of the nation’s most prominent evangelical Christian leaders, is about to endorse former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, The Associated Press has learned.

Dobson, founder of Colorado Springs, Colo.-based Focus on the Family, talked to the GOP presidential hopeful Thursday and later was to release a statement explaining his choice, said Gary Schneeberger, a spokesman for Dobson.

Huckabee had long sought Dobson’s endorsement, believing he is the best fit to advance Dobson’s conservative, moral worldview.

Exit question: What’s Huckabee’s game here? He’d need to win every remaining primary with something like 60% of the vote to overtake McCain. Is he just banking this as yet another piece of social-con cred for his next run in 2011? Or is it a carrot to wave at McCain to remind him that he’d bring along plenty of red-state voters as part of the ticket?

Update: Actually, try this exit question on for size instead: Third-party run … by Dobson? Why not? His aim all along has been to prove to the GOP how much they need him and evangelicals. What better way to do that after Huck’s out than by getting in and taking a few million members of the base with him?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Typical anti-Mack a**hole.
Pax americana on February 7, 2008 at 11:42 PM

Thanks. An attack by a Mack supporter with words only McAmnesty could use on a fellow Republican that disagrees with him. That tells me you are the real thing and I am you opposite, a CONSERVATIVE! That is exactly why McVain will not get the Conservative vote.

You probably support Amnesty too. Wait, you will not call it Amnesty will you? Figures.

livermush on February 7, 2008 at 11:50 PM

jerrytbg on February 7, 2008 at 11:27 PM

Nah, he’s just trolling. Trying to get a rise out of people. He also appears to be trying to brown nose AP on the religion thing. Hope he lets us know how that works out. Not well, I suspect.

a capella on February 7, 2008 at 11:53 PM

What’s Huckabee’s game here?

He loves the look of Mike Huckabee on TV.

He is a big fat nobody, one of hundreds of Governors over the years whose names will never be remembered.

Do to the freakish nature of Presidential campaigns and Fred’s failure to catch on it the fall, Huck rose in December.

Huck is addicted to the attention and the accolades from the press.

He needs a narcissist intervention.

EJDolbow on February 7, 2008 at 11:54 PM

According to the blogger at Right Smart, it’s a longshot, but it isn’t impossible for the anti-McCain forces to block his nomination:

Thursday, February 07, 2008
The New Delegate Math

Karl Rove just used a markerboard on Hannity & Colmes to illustrate that Huckabee would need to win 83% of the remaining delegates to win the GOP nomination. That’s impossible, Rove said, and I would agree.

However, what Rove did not point out — and may offer a glimmer of hope to anti-McCainiacs — is that the threshold to force a brokered convention is much lower.

Consider:

1,191 delegates required to win the GOP nomination

The current delegate count as of Feb. 7…

720 – McCain
279 – Romney
197 – Huckabee
14 – Paul

963 more delegates are still up for grabs.

McCain needs 471 more delegates to lock up the nomination. If Huckabee, Romney or Paul can capture 51.2% or 493 of those 963 delegates, then we’re facing a brokered convention. Huckabee (or Romney — boo!) could negotiate a Vice-Presidential slot or things could go Chicago a la 1968.

If Huckabee can pull a plausible upset in winner-take-all Virginia, then all the anti-McCainiacs need is 44.7% of the delegates in the rest of the states. Not at all impossible, especially looking at these upcoming red states where Huckabee could do well:

47 – Louisiana (2/9)
39 – Kansas
40 – Wisconsin (2/19)
140 – Texas (3/4)
88 – Ohio
39 – Mississippi (3/10)
69 – North Carolina (5/6)
57 – Indiana
45 – Kentucky (5/20)

I’m unfamiliar with the way delegates are awarded around the country. Does this seem plausible to anyone?

flyfisher on February 7, 2008 at 11:54 PM

Typical anti-Mack a**hole.
Pax americana on February 7, 2008 at 11:42 PM

McCain should put you on the front line trying to win supporters. You would fit in quite well.

McCain is softening up unlike you. Here is his latest appeal to Conservatives that c-span didn’t air. You’ve got to watch most of the way through to get the jist of what is being said. It takes McCain a little to warm up to Conservatives in a speech you know?

livermush on February 7, 2008 at 11:56 PM

MirCat, McCain is pro-life, has been his whole political career. Unlike Romney, BTW.

I only say he should pick Giuliani because he was the first target of the Coulter wrath this election season and Dobson dissed him too. I’d love to throw a McCain Giuli victory in their faces.

But, yeah, he needs to pick another prolifer to run with him.

funky chicken on February 7, 2008 at 11:57 PM

livermush on February 7, 2008 at 11:50 PM

No offense intended. You did ask for a maverick response ;-)

Pax americana on February 7, 2008 at 11:59 PM

Anyone but Obama.

Jaibones on February 8, 2008 at 12:00 AM

Prediction:
Huckabee/Thomspon defeats Obama/Edwards this November.

ITookTheRedPill on February 8, 2008 at 12:01 AM

No offense intended. You did ask for a maverick response ;-)

Pax americana on February 7, 2008 at 11:59 PM

True and yet another maverick response on top of that. An oppology after the slap. I’m just going to shut my computer down and go to bed.

livermush on February 8, 2008 at 12:02 AM

flyfisher on February 7, 2008 at 11:54 PM

Thanks for the link and the article. It’s hard to get any substantive anyalsis or material here lately.

Skidd on February 8, 2008 at 12:04 AM

a capella on February 7, 2008 at 11:53 PM

hmmm, Could it be that I fell for the bait and the Capt is really Allah, and He(Allah), was disappointed that nobody went there and then posted…..to….ahhhh…wow….now I’m confussted…….now i need consoling… are there any conservitites (p) out there….there…there….

jerrytbg on February 8, 2008 at 12:09 AM

Yes I’m loosing it!!!

jerrytbg on February 8, 2008 at 12:11 AM

jerrytbg on February 8, 2008 at 12:09 AM

Been a long day. Don’t go all to pieces. Have a glass of warm milk and a couple of those really strong painkillers you’ve been saving for an emergency. We have 4 years of depression and navel gazing ahead of us, so don’t waste it all the first night. Savor it over the long haul.

a capella on February 8, 2008 at 12:19 AM

Skidd on February 8, 2008 at 12:04 AM

I’m trying to figure out if Huck could possibly block McCain. His supporters seem to think so and apparently his campaign thinks so too. They are probably nuts, but what if they aren’t?

Conventional wisdom now says McCain has it wrapped up, so I’ve got to believe turnout will plummet on our side. Would it then be possible for a motivated band of Huck supporters and other conservatives to sneak in and steal a few to help Huck block McCain? If that happened, suddenly the media would declare the race was back on. In a real two man race, it seems likely McCain would still win, but perhaps not because Huck is a far better communicator and campaigner.

I tend to doubt any of that is possible, but as a political junkie I would enjoy watching it. Not because I am for Huck, but because I am still looking for any chance to prevent McCain from becoming our nominee.

flyfisher on February 8, 2008 at 12:23 AM

I am Christian, yet the phrase “evangelical Christian leader” has always offended me. A true Christian needs no one to “lead” them but Christ. But, I digress. Dobson has become to Christianity, what Jesse Jackson is to race relations; a shameless opportunist.

labrat on February 8, 2008 at 12:26 AM

a capella on February 8, 2008 at 12:19 AM

tank u I needed that.>>while splashing water on face to wash tears like reefer maddding laughter away

jerrytbg on February 8, 2008 at 12:35 AM

To the masses, Dobson will soon become irrelevant.

rplat on February 7, 2008 at 9:24 PM

From your lips to God’s ears….

AprilOrit on February 8, 2008 at 12:44 AM

flyfisher on February 8, 2008 at 12:23 AM

Conventional wisdom has taken a beating this political season. Three months ago, who would have guessed the last two standing would be these two guys? Amazing.

Anything can happen. I’m through convincing myself of how things are gonna go.

You and I have already discussed my apprehension about Huckabee. But given these two choices, I’m pulling the lever for Huckabee.

Skidd on February 8, 2008 at 12:56 AM

I’m a born-again Christian and I’m not voting for Huckabee. I don’t care if God endorses him.

PoliticallyIncorrectSandy on February 8, 2008 at 12:58 AM

PoliticallyIncorrectSandy on February 8, 2008 at 12:58 AM

You wouldn’t vote for him to help block McCain and force a brokered convention? That’s what we were talking about. I don’t see Huck emerging as the nominee from a brokered convention.

flyfisher on February 8, 2008 at 1:00 AM

I don’t care if God endorses him.

PoliticallyIncorrectSandy on February 8, 2008 at 12:58 AM

Ouch…

Strong statement.

Skidd on February 8, 2008 at 1:01 AM

I don’t see Huck emerging as the nominee from a brokered convention.

flyfisher on February 8, 2008 at 1:00 AM

Yeah, you’re right. He wouldn’t have near enough backing in a brokered convention.

FRED08!

Skidd on February 8, 2008 at 1:04 AM

FRED08!

Skidd on February 8, 2008 at 1:04 AM

EXACTLY! Even if Fred didn’t emerge, would we have any worse candidate than everyone expects us to have as of now?

flyfisher on February 8, 2008 at 1:08 AM

flyfisher on February 8, 2008 at 1:08 AM

No, we wouldn’t. For all the confusion and heartache, this IS an exciting election year!

Gooodnight flyfisher and anyone else reading this thread..

Skidd on February 8, 2008 at 1:14 AM

The “Christian leaders” versus Maverick. Okay then. Second look at McCain.

For crying out loud, Allah. Just when I start to think that you’re a bit past the anti-Christian/anti-religion baiting, you go and disappoint me again. Your incessant pokes, prods, and punches at Christianity grow dishearteningly ancient.

Second look at knocking it off with the Christian intolerance… seriously, Allah. You can’t seriously think Evangelicals (and other such Christians) do not make up a gigantic portion of the conservative base. Such commentary as you continue to post against Christianity is the kind of nonsense expect to hear out of liberals, not conservatives.

Jockolantern on February 8, 2008 at 2:07 AM

I’m hearing that President Bush will all but endorse McCain tomorrow at CPAC

bnelson44 on February 8, 2008 at 2:09 AM

I’m hearing that President Bush will all but endorse McCain tomorrow at CPAC

bnelson44 on February 8, 2008 at 2:09 AM

Wow, exciting…not.

AprilOrit on February 8, 2008 at 2:49 AM

I would also like to formally endorse Fred Thompson today.
see-dubya on February 7, 2008 at 9:22 PM

I’d like to endorse the ghost of Barry Goldwater.
doubleplusundead on February 7, 2008 at 9:24 PM

I’d like to formally endorse Ronald Reagan for the Republican nomination.

amerpundit on February 7, 2008 at 9:25 PM

Today I would like to endorse this man for the GOP nomination for the Presidency of the United States.

Do you suppose that it’s too late for me to endorse Ron Paul?

My collie says:

Thank God, he’s still a viable option.
CyberCipher on February 7, 2008 at 10:53 PM

And in keeping with the venerable, time-honored Hot Air tradition of conservative/Libertarian “Right-Leaning” commentators, today I would like to endorse CyberCipher’s collie as HA’s “Dog of the Month.”

(Legal Notice: Contest rules stipulate that acceptance of the “Dog of the Month” award carries the requirement of relinquishing any hint of love for the pseudo conservative named Ron Paul.).

ColtsFan on February 8, 2008 at 3:00 AM

I will write-in my wife and myself.

Or, J C Watts, Bruce Lee, Michelle Malkin, or Newt Gingrich.

Or Thomas Sowell, Walter Wiliams, Larry Elder, or Bobby Jindal.

William2006 on February 8, 2008 at 6:24 AM

dobson thinks getting huckster more delegates will give dobson leverage at the conventionon the platform committee. he’s in for a rude surprise since huckster wants vp and will do anything mccain tells him. It also shows what a religious bigot dobson is.

Unless dobson is connected with his states gop machine and it can’t be avoided, I say don’t let the old crank in the building.

peacenprosperity on February 8, 2008 at 6:30 AM

William2006 on February 8, 2008

Thomas Sowell for President? Every time I read one of his columns, I think the same thing. Unfortunately, at age 77, it’s probably too late for him.

AZCoyote on February 8, 2008 at 7:58 AM

Obviously 99% of HA commenters know 1% of Dr. Dobson (while many pretend to know 100%). To millions of Focus on the Family listeners, he is a fountain of wisdom for child-rearing, marriage, & other relationships. I disagree with his recent political statements (he rarely talks about politics on his show, & even more rarely names names). I also disagree with you HA commenters who think he has to shut up just because he is a Christian (“stay inside your church & leave us alone”).
I’m astonished at the level of hatred toward a man who has devoted his life to helping families.

jgapinoy on February 8, 2008 at 8:20 AM

Lets face it, Obama is our next president. How do we prepare?

ctmom on February 8, 2008 at 8:24 AM

Newt just said on F&F that Huckabee should pull out on Saturday.

Connie on February 8, 2008 at 8:28 AM

Connie, Huck should or would pull out?

maverick muse on February 8, 2008 at 8:34 AM

Jockolantern on February 8, 2008 at 2:07 AM

BINGO! Allah’s hatred for Christians manifests itself regularly.

fossten on February 8, 2008 at 8:50 AM

Defeatism is not smart. Folks airing it feign superiority.

Unity is strength.
If there is something we are against,
then unify around what we would have instead.
No one can have everything at once.
Be realistic in setting the banner.

Conservatives including Evangelicals would work better with Fred Thompson as our VP in Congress and in the White House than any other VP candidate. There is no other who can better stay on McCain’s case. How better to confront McCain’s liberalism than simultaneously within the White House and Congress.

BTW, Juvenile snark remains as ever delinquent defeatism.

maverick muse on February 8, 2008 at 8:50 AM

fossten

I don’t have any reason to believe that AP hates Christians. But he does like to goad us occasionally.
Christians do make up a large chunk of the GOP base, & I think most of us never supported Huck.

jgapinoy on February 8, 2008 at 8:57 AM

Lets face it, Obama is our next president. How do we prepare?

ctmom on February 8, 2008 at 8:24 AM

By turning out to vote in the 2008 election! We need to make sure that Obama doesn’t face a Congress so Democratic that they can do really dumb things together.

thuja on February 8, 2008 at 8:57 AM

maverick muse

In other words, let’s dump the “everything or nothing” mentality, fellow conservatives!

jgapinoy on February 8, 2008 at 8:58 AM

maverick muse on February 8, 2008 at 8:34 AM

Should.

Connie on February 8, 2008 at 8:59 AM

thuja

How can you assume an Obama Presidency like that? Who can predict what will happen next week, let alone in nine months?
It will be easy for McCain to portray Obama as an inexperienced liberal extremist.

jgapinoy on February 8, 2008 at 9:01 AM

Connie, then that’s cute to those who thought sooner. He should drop out by Saturday.

maverick muse on February 8, 2008 at 9:01 AM

Dobson won’t vote if McCain’s the nominee, but he endorses his stalking Huck horse? Is he so noaive as not to have understood that Huck’s running interferance for McCain? How delicious if Huck becomes McCain’s VP.

Also heard Howard AAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!! Dean lamenting the lack of a front runner for the Dems, and advoicating that some accomodation bereached for the good of the party. Here comes Hillary/Obama 2008!

Akzed on February 8, 2008 at 9:10 AM

jgapinoy on February 8, 2008 at 8:58 AM

How can any conservative get everything right now?
We will be fortunate to wake up today with the realization that the sooner we band together, the sooner we make the difference for our betterment. The unification requires a minimum agenda, not laden with pork per special interest.

No one wants to be subjected to higher taxes themselves.
No one wants an ineffective and irresponsible government.

Everyone wants lower taxes and a government responsive to its citizens. Begin with that.

Attacking privacy issues initially is doomed. Begin with the pocketbook because in America, every self respecting GOP lives by the bottom dollar. Following that initial success, morality with all of its complexities can enter the stage for maneuvers. Even Bush started by handing out a TEMPORARY tax cut to placate America while he went on his own rampage to destroy our sovereign borders. Even though he spent vastly more than any other president, his claim to fame is erroneously “lower taxes”.

maverick muse on February 8, 2008 at 9:13 AM

Hillary is a sinking ship and if she had anything to bury Obama with, she’d have used it by now. McCain appears old and doddering next to the vibrant Obama, even if nothing he says makes any sense. McCain looks like he should be in a nursing home, and the majority of voters who haven’t been following this mess of a primary season will look at the two of them and pick the one who looks and sounds the best.

ctmom on February 8, 2008 at 9:15 AM

ctmom, I am sure that you are correct in speaking particularly of the younger voter.

At a young age, it would be too easy to fall for the blank check “change” candidate as youth have yet to learn by experience to live within their means because all that glistens is not gold. This latest generation still lives at home with nanny gram-mom into their 30′s taking government subsidies. That crowd wants US to give them nanny/big-brother to the chagrine of every hard working American taxpayer who lives by the sweat of their brow. So let us hope that enough of America refuses the Democrats’ stick-up or hold-up operation that will erode, not empower, our Constitution. Speak out against the corrupt glossy image packaged as Obama for Big-Brother, aka Democrat POTUS.

maverick muse on February 8, 2008 at 9:38 AM

flyfisher on February 7, 2008 at 11:54 PM

Have you really been following the exit polling date. McVain is getting the conservative vote anyway. The Huckster is not going to get enough to change the outcome.

Romney is a realist and all the conservatives with their necks out of joint, I was in that camp also, need to step back and look at the bigger picture. If you really want to make sure that this country makes a big left turn, go ahead and stay home or don’t vote for McVain or go ahead vote for the DemCong in protest. The only thing you are doing is cutting off your nose and everyone else’s nose to spite your face.

The first thing the new DemCong president will do is appoint three(3) new liberal supreme court justices that you will have to live with for at least twenty(20) years. Sound good?

Then you will have a DemCong congress that will ramp-up the social giveaway programs locking in the DemCong for the next fifty(50 to one-hundred(100) years in Congress and the Presidency. Sounds even better, doesn’t it. You’ll get even alright, you’ll sell your future, your children’s future and their children’s future, just so you can say I stood by principle and protested John McVain.

John McCain, if he is elected, will be as mediocre as the last few Presidents and will not cause anywhere near the damage that any of the two(2) socialists/marxists running for the DemCong.

I for one am determined not to sell out my children and grandchildren, just because “my guy” didn’t get the nod.

belad on February 8, 2008 at 9:43 AM

Saw this comment at FR – Huckabee may drop out?

“Our morning talk guy is at CPAC, and say that his sources say that Huckabee will either drop out today or tomorrow. We’ll see.”

Connie on February 8, 2008 at 9:45 AM

belad on February 8, 2008 at 9:43 AM

Should read as follows:

Have you really been following the exit polling data. McVain isn’t getting the conservative vote anyway.

My apologies.

belad on February 8, 2008 at 9:50 AM

Jockolantern on February 8, 2008 at 2:07 AM

fossten on February 8, 2008 at 8:50 AM

Help me out. I’m not following what you are upset at. Dobson has some political goals, yes? Centering around family values and pro-life, yes? To attain political goals, one needs to build up political viability, yes? So Dobson has acted in a way involving the self-interest of voters to whom those are the highest priority, yes? So if you extend that to a hypothetical proving the viability of or to draw attention to the Christian right vote by a 3rd party run (which is why 3rd party runs happen), all the sudden AP is a bad person? Help me out here.

Spirit of 1776 on February 8, 2008 at 9:51 AM

Who is this Dobson fellow, and why should I give a rat’s ass what he says? Can I say “rat’s ass?” I guess I’ll soon find out.

Can we pullleeezeee stop calling the Evangelicals “the base?”

Potfry on February 8, 2008 at 10:22 AM

Spirit of 1776 on February 8, 2008 at 9:51 AM

Time for evangelicals to suck it up the way Mitt/Thompson supporting fiscal conservatives have. The uneasy alliance between non-religious conservatives and the Dobson/Huckabee southern Baptist crowd is being severely tested. Mitt, and those of us who supported him or Thompson, will vote for McCain holding our noses. If our religious fanatic allies won’t do the same, then both of us are relegated to minority whiner status.

That being said, if Huckster is the VP candidate for McCain, I’m outa here.

peski on February 8, 2008 at 11:02 AM

Peski, I don’t quite understand the origin of the discontent. Pres. Bush has appointed two justices that appear conservative and he signed the partial birth abortion act. When Huck demagogues about Christians being ignored, I don’t see the legitimacy of that complaint. It appears to me that those issues have taken strides under this administration.

Spirit of 1776 on February 8, 2008 at 11:12 AM

Help me out here.
Spirit of 1776 on February 8, 2008 at 9:51 AM

Here’s your help.

The primary is all internicine fighting gets out into the open, show the neighbors the dirty laundry etc. Then after a candidate is selected we try and vote him in.

The purpose of the primary is not to divide the party into as many camps as there are candidates so that we can all take our balls home and not vote at all if our guy loses. For Dobson to whine that he will not vote if McCain wins, after it has become obvious that McCain will win, is to risk handing the election to Hillary Obama. That would be better than voting for McCain? Dobson is apparently so naive that he needs this spelled out for him, which exposes his incompetence to comment on the whole process.

I hope that McCain selects Huckabee as his VP just to jam these verities right up the shutes of those who don’t understand that politics ain’t beanbag.

Akzed on February 8, 2008 at 11:26 AM

Dobson’s out of focus…

right2bright on February 8, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Here’s your help.

Akzed on February 8, 2008 at 11:26 AM

That is not the topic of my question. I’m pointing out that a hypothetical question is not anti-Christian.

Spirit of 1776 on February 8, 2008 at 11:32 AM

Dobson doesn’t speak for me nor for millions of other evangelicals.

Dr. Dobson, please drop the politics & go back to “focusing on the family.”

Tim on February 8, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Dobson to endorse Huckabee? Thanks for nothing, pal.

The reason McCain is here and only Huckabee is left to barely hang on is because Huckabee didn’t really get the major evangelical support everyone claimed he’d obviously get. Why? Because Huck’s a lousy candidate? No, he’s a fine candidate — if you are a populist who believes that the little guy deserves a leg up more than a Wall Street fat cat. Because most conservative pundits are libertarian rather than populist, and because a lot of conservatives pay lip service to Christianity rather than really believing in anything other than conservatism and political clout, he got demagogued out of the running among the base.

Now, when the McCain specter rears its ugly head, suddenly Huckabee doesn’t seem so bad. Perhaps he has his qualities. Perhaps he can rise to the occasion. Well, I believe he can, but no thanks to the “Christian” leaders and talk radio pundits out there who killed his campaign and thereby created the McCainBoom. What a way to run a railroad! ..as Bugs Bunny would say.

Jared White on February 8, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Dobson is an idiot. He had a pro-life, pro-marriage candidate in the running already. If he had endorsed Romney before Iowa, we wouldn’t have to worry about McCain right now.

Huckabee is worse by the way.

joncoltonis on February 8, 2008 at 12:23 PM

I’m no Bible-thumper, but I think what Huckabee has done is blasphemous and sacreligious.

Jesus would not approve of someone using him to promote their political agenda.

He would not approve of putting a cross in a campaign ad, then claiming it’s not really a cross.

He would approve of putting campaign fliers on car windshields at a Fred Thompson rally in South Carolina saying Fred is pro-abortion and responsible for killing 200,000 babies….then the next day claiming you ran a “decent and honesty campaign”.

If Dobson really thinks this guy is the right choice, then he’s WAY, WAY out of touch with reality.

bigred on February 8, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Actually, the critics of Mike Huckabee are out of touch with reality. The Huckabee campaign has never condoned the third-party groups who did push-polling and sent out nasty materials against rivals. They condemned such actions over and over and over again, saying such tactics DAMAGE their campaign. And arguably, it did.

And that cross in the campaign ad? Please. I talked to several of my Christian friends who saw that ad and NOBODY noticed any “cross”. That was a pathetic stunt pulled by the media in a desperate attempt to paint Huckabee as an evangelical fruitcake.

Look, Huckabee has some legitimate problems with his record, particularly being soft on illegal immigration in the past and some of his fiscal policies. (Although I am a huge supporter of the FairTax now.) But compared to McCain in the area of immigration, he’s a saint. And he’s no more liberal in his record overall than was Romney (socially liberal, failed healthcare system, etc.)

Jared White on February 8, 2008 at 12:46 PM

Serious question..Fred can’t possibly come out of a brokered convention because he withdrew his candidacy, correct or no?

Did he surrender his delegates? All I got was the two line email and not the finer points on his official withdrawal position.

Also also, and I donated to his campaign–he was my guy–did Fred’s utter lack of decency in the way he withdrew not put a stop to his future in politics, period? Contrast with Romney’s concession at CPAC, and discuss.

TexasDan on February 8, 2008 at 12:58 PM

Hey Allah, I’m not sure why you have this fascination with Dobson. What really puzzles me is the really uninformed comments you sometimes make about him. Your second exit question is an absolute joke. Dobson has never had any personal political ambitions. Considering his influence, he has even stayed in the margins for the most part regarding endorsements – I wish he had continued that policy and not endorsed Huckabee.

Snidely Whiplash on February 8, 2008 at 1:00 PM

Looks like the VP choice won’t be Huck:

And when he was asked about potential running mates, he said that he did not want to discount the candidacy of Mr. Huckabee, but that the prime concern would be “whether that person is fully prepared to take over” and shares his values and philosophy. But he did offer that he believes that the Clinton-Gore ticket in 1992 proved that regional diversity is no longer as important as it was once considered.

bnelson44 on February 8, 2008 at 1:03 PM

jgapinoy on February 8, 2008 at 8:20 AM

It’s not his admirable work towards helping families that is the topic of this thread- it’s his political activism, something he’s been engaged in for a long time… but probably shouldn’t be.

Hollowpoint on February 8, 2008 at 1:11 PM

When is the next Republican Debate scheduled?

AverageJoe on February 8, 2008 at 1:18 PM

Allah,

This is EXACTLY what Huckabee is doing (along with enjoying his new found fame)

This is the problem. Although McCain picking Huckabee would bring along those evangelicals, who I think proved their power on Super Tuesday, it would also turn off a great many moderate and non religious conservatives like youself.

So, I don’t think McCain should pick him, but it would do him well to get his endorsement. Make a deal. It’s done all the time. McCain needs a conservative southerner who will appeal to evangelicals, but I don’t suggest Huckabee.

Regarding Dobson, he is a man of great integrity who has written child rearing books that should be required reading for every person who has a child. He is not a preacher, he does not make a living off his religious work. He is a citizen just like all of us and he has every right to “endorse” someone for President.

Rightwingsparkle on February 8, 2008 at 1:29 PM

thuja

jgapinoy on February 8, 2008 at 9:01 AM

Quite right about what you perceived as my assumption, but I was replying to someone who had already made the assumption.

But I do disagree with it being easy for McCain to negatively portray Obama. McCain could just end looking ill-tempered and losing. I do think Obama, our very own Chance the Gardner, could win. It’s that darn uncertainty about the future that you brought up.

thuja on February 8, 2008 at 1:35 PM

I don’t have any reason to believe that AP hates Christians. But he does like to goad ridicule us occasionally regularly.

jgapinoy on February 8, 2008 at 8:57 AM

Fixed.

fossten on February 8, 2008 at 3:25 PM

Spirit of 1776 on February 8, 2008 at 9:51 AM

It’s pretty obvious. AP regularly bashes Christians on this site. For example, referring to his speech as “one final bleat.” That’s an animal reference, specifically a sheep. Why that choice of word?

This isn’t a sudden thing, despite your attempted spin. This is the bone of contention that was brought up. It’s really not about Dobson, he is just another in a long line of examples where AP has taken pitchforks to evangelicals.

fossten on February 8, 2008 at 3:29 PM

So what, who else he going to endores, come on people.

KBird on February 8, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Go Huck!

I’m gonna send him some cash.

Speakin’ a cash- How’d Ruffini’s “07 Support OUR Nominee” fund raiser go?

Allah- it was supposed to be done yesterday remember. How many millions did he raise for McCain???

Ex-tex on February 8, 2008 at 3:48 PM

Damn I hate this election. It can’t get worse, can it?

Darth Executor on February 8, 2008 at 4:02 PM

Hi everybody. I’m trying to figure out how some of you post your links the way you do using a word or sentence in place of the link. Occasionally I will have a long link I wanna put up, but man it’s too long it won’t fit on the screen. Do you use the blue link button? What do you guys do to post your links in the way of “words?” Hope that made some sense.

And oh, ya… thanks Mr. Dobson for endorsing Huckabee. Keep it going Mike!!!!!

apacalyps on February 8, 2008 at 4:28 PM

Jared White, please share some of what you’re smoking..

Huckabee attended a fundraiser for his campaign at the home of the owner of the push polling company 3 weeks before they started push polling.

Total b.s. that the Huckster wanted them to stop. If he really wanted them to, they would have. He said he was against it so he could have plausible deniability, and rubes like you bought into it.

Since you’re defending an ad you admittedly never saw, here’s a little help….

Not only is it a cross, but it’s lit perfectly to make it stand out.

If you and your “Christian friends” are too butt blind to see the cross, or think it was a coincidence, then you really are clueless.

As for the Huckster being a “saint” on illegal immigration…he supports taking my tax dollars to give scholarships and in-state tuition. And he wanted to give them driver’s licenses.

Of course, he became tough on immigration a whole 2 months ago by plagiarizing someone else’s plan.

He is the ultimate douchebag and will never get my vote.

bigred on February 8, 2008 at 4:30 PM

While I’m here I should tell you,

Huck’s gaining momentum again…..•*´

We’re only getting started so fasten your seat belts.

What You do is click This Blue Line

apacalyps on February 8, 2008 at 4:35 PM

If this 21st century Lonesome Rhodes somehow makes it onto the ticket, I will leave the GOP.

Huckabee is a copper-tongued devil with hate in his heart who is somehow the darling of the late-night leftist comedian set.

May he go down in political flames, and get that coveted job in entertainment he was clearly born for.

sulla on February 8, 2008 at 5:31 PM

apacalyps on February 8, 2008 at 4:35 PM

It would almost be worth him getting the nomination to delight in his humilation in the general. Almost! He doesn’t have a prayer.

a capella on February 8, 2008 at 7:46 PM

I had a dream a while before Michigan’s primary where we went to the polls and found James Dobson’s name but no Fred Thompson.

OneGyT on February 8, 2008 at 9:34 PM

It’s those snake handlers that have ruin this election to date.

TheSitRep on February 8, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Parolabee hangs a cross in front of his record and gets away with it. I gave evangelicals more credit than that. Dobson is a twerp.

Feedie on February 8, 2008 at 10:28 PM

As a Christian, I’ve always respected James Dobson. I don’t completely agree with him, but I think he truly “gets it” on public policy issues, especially Islamofascism. But when I saw how quickly he jumped the shark from Romney to McCain, I felt dirty.

I quickly unsubscribed to Citizen Action (his online newsletter) and deleted the “Focus on the Family” podcast link from my iPod. How could Dobson support someone like Huckabee? Man, he’s a liberal who wanted to take the Southern Baptist Convention from a conservative bible-based organization to a liberal one (a la Jimmuh Cartuh). The guy may be an evangelical, but he’s definitely not Conservative. I think James Dobson betrayed his own best wisdom by supporting such a liberal, weak, mean-spirited man. Lesson learned: all the way around, pastors (or former pastors) are not perfect.

Kalifornia Kafir on February 9, 2008 at 3:20 AM

Sorry, he jumped the shark from Romney to HUCKABEE.

My bad.

Kalifornia Kafir on February 9, 2008 at 3:21 AM

I’m one evangelical who can no longer stomach even seeing Dobson on TV. He does all of us a disservice by opening his mouth.

Don’t judge us all by J. Dobs. Most of us don’t just snatch up our toys and go home when we lose.

Pope Linus on February 9, 2008 at 7:53 AM

joncoltonis

Instead of eagerly slandering a very intelligent man as an “idiot“, why not find out his reasoning?
Dobson didn’t want to endorse anyone while there were two alternatives to McCain. Now that there is one, he made his choice known.
As a McCain supporter, I disagree with Dobson, but I hold him in very high regard. His wisdom has helped millions of families around the globe.

jgapinoy on February 9, 2008 at 9:22 AM

Pope Linus

You know almost nothing about James Dobson, his reasoning, & his motives. I am honored to stand side-by-side with him on many issues, while I disagree with him this time.

jgapinoy on February 9, 2008 at 9:25 AM

fossten on February 8, 2008 at 3:29 PM

“Pretty obvious” – which is to say you interpret it that way. Bleat – used probably because lambs/sheep are Christian imagery. I’d be quite interested to see you support your statement, by the way. Where has AP said anything like – Christians are _____ (any negative adjective)?

Contention about what? This post is about Dobson and what he is doing politically. That’s not spin, my friend. And why is it a pitchfork at evangelicals? Unless you take Dobson’s endorsement of Huck as an insult to evang. conservatives.

Spirit of 1776 on February 9, 2008 at 9:35 AM

Kalifornia Kafir on February 9, 2008 at 3:20 AM

I like him pretty well myself, which is to say I’ve enjoy the books of his that I’ve read. I just don’t think politics is his best arena.

Spirit of 1776 on February 9, 2008 at 9:37 AM