Audio: Pearl Jam’s awful Barack Obama song

posted at 8:58 am on February 7, 2008 by Allahpundit

Via Karol, it’s so painfully lame I had to google around to make sure it wasn’t a goof. If it doesn’t sound like them, that’s because Stone Gossard is handling the vocals; Mumbles (wisely) chose not to lend his pipes to this trainwreck. Although his spirit of derivativeness lives on in the fact that it’s a cover.

On the upside, this is as relevant as they’ve been in at least 10 years.

Comments

i like eddie vedders voice but really this sucks.

zane on February 7, 2008 at 9:03 AM

On the upside, this is as relevant as they’ve been in at least 10 years.

Hit the nail on the head.

kcluva on February 7, 2008 at 9:04 AM

58 seconds.

That’s how long I lasted.

Slublog on February 7, 2008 at 9:05 AM

*ugh* Putrid.

flipflop on February 7, 2008 at 9:05 AM

White guilt = bad music

jp on February 7, 2008 at 9:16 AM

Pearl Jam is as awful now as they’ve always been.

BowHuntingTexas on February 7, 2008 at 9:19 AM

Stevie Wonder’s catchy tune is much better.
See last 44 seconds of this clip

Brat on February 7, 2008 at 9:24 AM

That coulda been worse…not by much though.

It’s a cryin shame they’re moonbats. ‘Ten’ was IMHO one of the best rock albums ever recorded. I really like their Hendrix worship of the early/mid 90s, their politics…not so much.

TheGoblinKing on February 7, 2008 at 9:24 AM

And let it be known that I own ‘Ten’, ‘Versus’, and ‘Vitology’…and that’s it. None of the newer moon-guano reeking stuff.

Why do most of the great musicians end up being political idiots? I don’t get it…

TheGoblinKing on February 7, 2008 at 9:26 AM

Keep Barackin’ In the Free World! Come on! Everybody..!

Dork B. on February 7, 2008 at 9:28 AM

I used to be a massive PJ fan. Until Eddie started opening his fat trap. I think I’ll stick with Ryan Adams and the Drive By Truckers.

robblefarian on February 7, 2008 at 9:28 AM

I had to watch an old episode of Happy Days to clear my head.

rockdog63 on February 7, 2008 at 9:28 AM

Dork B. on February 7, 2008 at 9:28 AM

Heh.

Here he is…Barack you like a Hurricane!

Slublog on February 7, 2008 at 9:29 AM

I had to listen to La Grange so I would get that awful noise out of my ears.

ZZ Top is always the cure to bad music!

badpenguin on February 7, 2008 at 9:37 AM

The Second Kiss of Death. First Teddy K and now this. When has-been ’90s bands are piling on, you know you are close to the edge.

Obama is a big, beautiful bubble – bright, colorful and empty. He’s the political equivalent of WebVan (‘member that one?). Everybody’s buying his stock right now but when the sell-off comes, it comes hard. The correction is coming, Barry. Brace for it.

Vote Sauron 08 on February 7, 2008 at 9:39 AM

Vote Sauron I really, really hope you are correct.

funky chicken on February 7, 2008 at 9:42 AM

As awful as I imagined this being from the description, it somehow managed to be ten times worse. They have raised the bar of what can comfortably be called “absolute crap.”

Beatnik Joe on February 7, 2008 at 9:45 AM

Dear Mr. Vedder and friends,

The “Grunge scene” of the ’90s was a good ride. You filled a niche and left us with some great tunes. However, most of us graduate college and cut our hair. We own businesses and some are raising families. Therefore, we regret to inform you that your services are no longer needed.

Sincerely,

Those of us who’ve moved on.

regal on February 7, 2008 at 9:49 AM

Those of us who’ve moved on.

regal on February 7, 2008 at 9:49 AM

They’ll likely never move on; they see themselves as the new Grateful Dead. Endless touring, encouraging bootlegging, release the occasional album… the first time I recall him opening his trap was on the band’s fist SNL appearance; when the performed their second song, Eddie had used electrician’s tape to put a picture of a wire coathanger on his t-shirt, then in the middle of the song (I can’t remember which one) he calls out (out of tune and time with the music) “It’s a woman’s choice!” which I assumed to be a reference to abortion rights…
As far a relevance goes, the lyrics of most of their recent albums have political themed stuff, including an anti-Bush bit (“Bushleague”) and several anti-Iraq war songs about poor, dumb soldiers on their latest.

Frozen Tex on February 7, 2008 at 10:04 AM

Man, that was worse than I thought too. I’m not sure whether to laugh or cry. Awful, awful.

And yet, it’s hilarious to watch all this fawning over a guy with no accomplishment, no vision, no defining ideology, no substance. What a celebration of emptiness, just like our Britney Spears culture. My prediction is that McShamnesty (not my pick!) will roll over Barack, but not until after our country has been through the biggest racially-divisive election in it’s history – because that’s what the Dems will make it all about.

“Disagree with the guy? Think he’s an empty suit? Yeah, we know why.”

That’s what we’ll hear for the next 9 months.

pecan pie on February 7, 2008 at 10:06 AM

OK ok ok ok!!! Here’s what you do: open the you-tube link and let it play in the background, read along with the new lyrics as the song plays, it’s better that way…

Now everyone sing along…introducing the greatest rock and roll band in the world, KISS!!!!

God gave Barry-O to you, gave Barry-O to you
Put him in the soul of everyone
Do you know what you want? you dont know for sure
You dont feel right, you cant find a cure
And youre gettin less than what youre lookin for

You dont have money or a fancy car
And youre tired of wishin on a falling star
You gotta put your faith in a socialist czar

Chorus:
God gave Barry-O to you, gave Barry-O to you
Gave Barry-O to everyone (oh yeah)
God gave Barry-O to you, gave Barry-O to you
Put him in the soul of everyone

Now listen
If you wanna be a pothead, and play sitar
Man, you gotta chill cuz you can’t get far
Cause its never been cool to work nine-to-five

You can’t take a stand, you just compromise
You can’t work real hard, you just fantasize
But you dont start livin till you realize – I gotta tell ya!

God gave Barry-O to you, gave Barry-O to you
Gave Barry-O to everyone
God gave Barry-O to you, gave Barry-O to you
Put him in the soul

(instrumental break)

God gave Barry-O to you (to everyone he gave the song to be sung)
Gave Barry-O to you, gave Barry-O to everyone

God gave Barry-O to you (to everyone he gave the song to be sung)
Gave Barry-O to you, saved Barry-O for everyone
Saved Barry-O…

Chorus repeats out…

I know life sometimes can get tough! and I know life sometimes can be a drag!
But people, we have been given a gift, we have been given a savior
And that mans name is…Barry-OOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

/very proud of that one : )

TheGoblinKing on February 7, 2008 at 10:10 AM

How about:

And now it’s solid
Solid as Barack!
That’s what this love is
That’s what we’ve got, oh, mmm…

Solid (Oh)
Solid as Barack!
And nothing’s changed it (Ooh)
The thrill is still hot, hot, hot, hot, hot, hot, hot, hot!

A little Ashford and Simpson..? Wrong crowd?
Okay.

Dork B. on February 7, 2008 at 11:00 AM

I liked them…back in the early 90′s. That was until I actually saw them in concert.

Eddie preaches almost as much as he sings. I was lucky that the crowd in Rosenberg was too stoned to care while I flipped him the old double bird during one of his rants.

Asher on February 7, 2008 at 11:10 AM

Pearl Jam’s awful Barack Obama song

That’s assuming they were ever any good in the first place. Derrivitave, psudeo-70′s stoner arena rock crap from day 1.

crazy_legs on February 7, 2008 at 11:18 AM

“Mumbles”– heh, heh– good one, AP.

How Johnny Ramone stayed friends with Vedder is beyond me.

Pasalubong on February 7, 2008 at 11:30 AM

That has just replaced Kokomo has the worst song ever. That song should be Cobain’d.

Squarestate on February 7, 2008 at 11:59 AM

Pearl Jam? They’re still together? I thought they broke-up about 12 years ago?…

What’s next, Temple of the Dog reunion??

I don’t mind stealing bread, from the mouths of conservatives, yeah…Cause I’m going hungry..yeah, yeah…redistribution of wealth..yeah, yeah…

Rick on February 7, 2008 at 11:59 AM

RESPECT KOKOMO. Any song that has John Stamos in its video is a great song!

Pasalubong on February 7, 2008 at 12:02 PM

OK Pasalubong, how about Music is the Doctor? Better?

Squarestate on February 7, 2008 at 12:07 PM

OK Pasalubong, how about Music is the Doctor? Better?

Yes. Much. Thank you. :)

(Although “We Built This City” is the worst of the worst for me.)

Pasalubong on February 7, 2008 at 12:10 PM

Even Alice in Chains last summer put up anti Bush, Cheney and Condi Rice pictures on the screen during “Rooster”, a song about the Vietnam war. The thing I liked about seeing the Foo Fighters in concert, was that they didn’t preach anything, even though they’re democrats. Just played music.

jayj on February 7, 2008 at 12:56 PM

And let it be known that I own ‘Ten’, ‘Versus’, and ‘Vitology’…and that’s it.

You’re not the only one. Vitalogy was so uneven that its incoherent follow-up never had a prayer. I used to review records for a school paper, and the closest I got to hate mail was when I gave a Pearl Jam album a well-deserved bad review. In it, I wondered how aware Pearl Jam was of its descent into self-parody. The PJ faithful didn’t like reading that….

calbear on February 7, 2008 at 1:36 PM

My freakin’ ears!

I listened to the whole thing just to hear if they rewrote any of the lyrics to make it, you know, clever. Nope. Same song, just replace “the clock” with “Barack.” Get it? They rhyme.

That has just replaced Kokomo has the worst song ever.

Correction: Kokomo is the second worst song ever, slightly trailing “We Built This City (on Rock and Roll).”

saint kansas on February 7, 2008 at 5:25 PM

Grunge served its purpose – sending hair metal to its belated demise. I always thought the music kind of sucked, though. Enough so that I never bought an album by any band in the genre. Vedder’s preachy, know-it-all attitude is enough to turn anyone away from pj. Grohl from the Foo Fighters (formerly of Nirvana) endorsed Kerry in ’04, but at least he had the good sense to be funny about it. I remember him going on about being pro-Kerry because he was pro-Tobacco, and everyone should use Tobacco.

Wingo on February 8, 2008 at 12:27 AM