James Dobson: If McCain’s the nominee, I’m sitting out; Audio: I’ll vote for Romney in the general, says Dobson

posted at 12:55 pm on February 5, 2008 by Allahpundit

One last threat before the die is cast. He’s been making the perfect the enemy of the good (or average) since the campaign began, first with Giuliani, then with Fred(!), and now at last with a guy with respect to whom his sentiment might resonate a bit with the base. Geraghty tries to fact-check him but this long march towards rejectionism has always been aimed at showing the party how much it’ll suffer without him and his supporters. If it wasn’t, he’d have thrown in with Huck or Romney long ago. Will the flock follow him into the wilderness? No one knows yet but I’m betting no. The country’s newest “Christian leader” will help keep them in the fold for Maverick.

Pity poor Laura, who had no choice but to accept an exclusive this newsworthy (I’d have done so too) but who’s reduced momentarily to a mouthpiece for Dobson’s latest performance of “private citizen” kabuki. No matter. She’s already done her good deed for the day.

Update: He won’t endorse in a primary, but he’ll happily anti-endorse candidates various and sundry. Thanks to Derek F. at Salem for the clip; it’s been edited for brevity.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

So says Calvinists (Baptists).

So now you are calling God a moron? Shame on you…

right2bright on February 5, 2008 at 1:21 PM

1. FYI, most Baptists are not calvinists.

2. Dobson is a Presbyterian (most of which are calvinists).

3. Though I disagree with ChakraHammer, you failed to understand his message. He’s calling Dobson a moron because he will not vote for Huckabee.

3. You don’t have a grasp on what calvinism is either.

shick on February 5, 2008 at 1:53 PM

I can’t stand James Dobson. Please, stay home, and then never come back outside. Anywho, let’s get serious…if it comes down to Hillary and McCain, I’m going with McCain and that’s it. The lesser of two evils. If you don’t support McCain, think of the alternative. At least health care will be safe.

mattyj86 on February 5, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Ugh. I hate being in the same ballpark as Dobson on this one, but at least I can take solace in the fact that Dobson was also going to sit out if Fred, Mitt, or Rudy was the nominee, but would have happily voted for Huckabee despite Huck’s Carter-esque views on foreign policy and most domestic issues as well.

thirteen28 on February 5, 2008 at 1:58 PM

I’ll be ‘sitting out’ as well if McCain is the nominee, but I still wish Dobson would STFU.

infidel4life on February 5, 2008 at 1:59 PM

This country is in dire need of a viable third party, as the two have become a satirical image of each. It’s really disgusting.

Entelechy on February 5, 2008 at 1:59 PM

Oh, for Pete’s sake. Rash Limbaugh and MM have cranked up the McCain hate to radioactive levels, and HA is doing the same.

Agreed, and it doesn’t make sense to me. We need(ed) to rally around someone in a positive way, not just attack someone relentlessly. We need to say and define what we stand for. Leave the hating to the Liberals; that’s what they’re good at.

mattyj86 on February 5, 2008 at 2:01 PM

shick

Dobson is not Calvinist.

jgapinoy on February 5, 2008 at 2:01 PM

McCain/Petraeus 2008?

Problematic. My guess is that the general has used some of the foul language that upsets Dr. Dobson.

Dobson is knocking McCain for preserving the filibuster? If the Dems win the White House, the 43 or so remaining Republican Senators will really need the filibuster.

Also, seems that Dobson sees the difference between Hillary and McCain on abortion as “no big deal”. Guess it’s OK, if he says so.

dedalus on February 5, 2008 at 2:01 PM

And don’t bother shrilling about the 2001 Bush cuts – McCain campaigned on reducing the deficit first , and if we’d listened to him then, we wouldn’t be in such a hole now.

Pax americana on February 5, 2008 at 1:50 PM

Spending cuts?
Exactly where does St.John propose cutting spending, or does the Straight Talk Express skip that stop?
McCain won’t cut spending to balance the budget.
He’ll raise taxes in order to cover the spending.
The GOP will move boldly into the Golden Era before Reagan when they were the tax collectors for the welfare state.

billy on February 5, 2008 at 2:01 PM

infidel4life

Right, because Christians aren’t allowed to express political opinions.

jgapinoy on February 5, 2008 at 2:02 PM

mattyj86 on February 5, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Ok, so I’m supposed to show party loyalty to the candidate that hasn’t been loyal to the party. Does that make sense to anyone?

Snake307 on February 5, 2008 at 2:03 PM

Entelechy on February 5, 2008 at 1:59 PM

I referenced Phyillis Schlafly’s famous line in another thread to describe this very point – we now have an echo, not a choice.

thirteen28 on February 5, 2008 at 2:03 PM

mattyj86 on February 5, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Are you sure about that? Let’s assume they pursue similar agendas. Who is more likely to do the most long term damage, McCain, who will have virtually no opposition or Hillary who will have tremendous opposition from the Right on almost anything she does?

TheBigOldDog on February 5, 2008 at 2:04 PM

billy

McCain has crusaded against pork for many years.

jgapinoy on February 5, 2008 at 2:04 PM

You walk into a restaurant and want a burger.

Menu:
Thompson burger–Awesome burger (out of stock due to bad planning).
Romney burger—-Burger with limburger cheese.
Huckabee burger–Hotdog in a hamburger bun
McCain burger—-Hotdog shaped like a burger
Clinton burger—Hotdog with arsenic
Obama burger—–Fluffinutter sandwhich with hemlock and a side of hope.

What will you get? Consider what you want, what you can settle for and what will kill you.

shick on February 5, 2008 at 2:09 PM

You know what this blog needs? A few commenters saying over and over again that they’ll NEVER vote for Juan John McVain McLame McShame McAmnesty McShamnesty McCain.

John from WuzzaDem on February 5, 2008 at 2:09 PM

put down the crack pipe and back away from the key board

jwp1964 on February 5, 2008 at 1:45 PM

Crack pipes? Collaborator? Illegitimate black babies?

Exit question: is there any smear so sick it will not be used by the Mac haters?

Pax americana on February 5, 2008 at 2:10 PM

My big beef with McCain is opposing tax cuts. The Reagan and Bush II strategy of starving the beast is the only strategy that has really accomplished anything. The alternatives, a balanced budget amendment and wishing upon a star for pork cuts, are abysmal failures. People will vote for the incumbent that brings home the bacon, even if it is Ron Paul.

pedestrian on February 5, 2008 at 2:10 PM

I left out the McCain side.

You walk into a restaurant and want a burger.

Menu:
Thompson burger–Awesome burger (out of stock due to bad planning).
Romney burger—-Burger with limburger cheese.
Huckabee burger–Hotdog in a hamburger bun
McCain burger—-Hotdog shaped like a burger with side of bad potato salad
Clinton burger—Hotdog with arsenic
Obama burger—–Fluffinutter sandwhich with hemlock and a side of hope.

What will you get? Consider what you want, what you can settle for and what will leave you with a belly ache and what will kill you.

shick on February 5, 2008 at 2:09 PM

shick on February 5, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Picking between Hillary (or Obama) and McCain is about the same exercise as deciding whether you want to be hung or shot.

duff65 on February 5, 2008 at 2:14 PM

shick on February 5, 2008 at 2:09 PM

lol!

Paul burger – Opium burger with helium ballon attached.

Pax americana on February 5, 2008 at 2:17 PM

duff65

Lifetime American Conservative Union ratings–
McCain: 82.3%
Clinton: 9.0%
Obama: 8.0%
Ya, there’s not a dime’s worth of difference.

jgapinoy on February 5, 2008 at 2:21 PM

shick on February 5, 2008 at 2:12 PM

I would go find another restaurant .

2Brave2Bscared on February 5, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Paul burger – Opium burger with helium ballon attached.

Pax americana on February 5, 2008 at 2:17 PM

LOL. I didn’t think to Add Paul. I’ll think I’ll make a graphic with these burgers.

shick on February 5, 2008 at 2:23 PM

I would go find another restaurant .

2Brave2Bscared on February 5, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Those being the options, the other restaurant is across the border. BUT WAIT! That border just may move itself.

shick on February 5, 2008 at 2:24 PM

shick

Dobson never said he won’t vote for Huck in the primary! He said he’ll sit out the g e n e r a l election.

jgapinoy on February 5, 2008 at 2:29 PM

jgapinoy on February 5, 2008 at 2:29 PM

I stand corrected. I had no idea where right2bright was coming from.

shick on February 5, 2008 at 2:32 PM

Dobson is not Calvinist.

jgapinoy on February 5, 2008 at 2:01 PM

I never said that he was. I said most. That’s interesting to know.

But how calvinism became a part of the discussion still eludes me.

shick on February 5, 2008 at 2:34 PM

shick

Me too!

jgapinoy on February 5, 2008 at 2:35 PM

John from WuzzaDem on February 5, 2008 at 2:09 PM

Sucks that you’re forced to read this, isn’t it?

thirteen28 on February 5, 2008 at 2:38 PM

I can’t stand James Dobson–mattyj86

It’s a real mind-blower how someone who devotes his life to the care & nurturing of families can be so hated. Yes, Dobson gives political opinions–very rarely–& they are always reasonable, even if I disagree with them. I guess anyone in the public eye who stands for something will be hated.

jgapinoy on February 5, 2008 at 2:41 PM

Dobson is an a_hole, a jerk and an idiot. That’s just plain speaking folks

georgealbert on February 5, 2008 at 2:43 PM

right2bright

My point is, Dobson is not serving two masters. He believes he is serving the Lord in saying what he said.

jgapinoy on February 5, 2008 at 1:43 PM

It is very plain, Christ did not want you to serve the people and serve Him. Hardly anything could be more plain biblicaly. You can’t do government work, otherwise he would have wanted his followers to become politicians. A politician is sworn to serve the people, a Christian leader is sworn to follow God, and the two have more conflicts then similarities.
I am not saying you can’t bring God with you, you just can’t fully serve Him, if you are out trying to get votes, and stay in power. Huck was a good example, Christ says follow the laws of the land, in our land it is protect the borders, he wanted to open the borders to “help” the downtrodden…the two don’t mix.
Every time a religious “leader” comes into power, you have a struggle between what God wants him to do, what he wants to do, and what the people want to have done.
You would have to be a living prophet to be such a man.

right2bright on February 5, 2008 at 2:44 PM

McCain: 82.3%
Clinton: 9.0%
Obama: 8.0%
Ya, there’s not a dime’s worth of difference.

jgapinoy on February 5, 2008 at 2:21 PM

I see you guys are still posting McCain’s rating from one year early in his career and representing it as his career mean. You just got spanked for doing that yesterday. Why don’t you post his yearly ratings for the 5 most recent years? Or, at least have the decency to wait a couple of days before you lie again.

a capella on February 5, 2008 at 2:44 PM

right2bright

William Wilberforce became a Christian while in the British Parliament. He thought he should resign to serve the Lord, but John Newton counseled him to stay put. Wilberforce went on to fight slavery for the rest of his career, eventually succeeding in having it outlawed.
It is extremely ignorant to think you can’t serve God in politics.

jgapinoy on February 5, 2008 at 2:48 PM

acuratings.org
look it up yourself under lifetime rating

jgapinoy on February 5, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Yes, J-Mac has slid down to the 50s & 60s the last few years. I guess that’s the same as Hillary’s 9.

jgapinoy on February 5, 2008 at 2:51 PM

Audio: I’ll vote for Romney in the general, says Dobson

Wha? I didn’t see that coming. Honestly.

Slublog on February 5, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Wha? I didn’t see that coming. Honestly.

Slublog on February 5, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Same here. I thought he had previously said he wouldn’t vote for Romney if he was the nominee.

thirteen28 on February 5, 2008 at 2:58 PM

jgapinoy on February 5, 2008 at 2:51 PM

But, that isn’t the way you represented that plus 80 figure, is it? You left out the qualifiers in order to deceive. Is this the kind of Straight Talk we can expect from the McCain presidency? Do you represent his method of communciation? Or, are you going to feed us more of that “Politics ain’t beanbag” tripe?

a capella on February 5, 2008 at 3:09 PM

It is extremely ignorant to think you can’t serve God in politics.

jgapinoy on February 5, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Well, gosh, you can’t beat that logic. If someone disagrees you call them ignorant.
You sat on the debating team bench through school, didn’t you?

Do you want me to pull out all of the religious fanatics who sought power in the name of God? You come out with Wilberforce, let me see if I can think of one…let me see…eye a tolla, as soon as I think of one, I wonder if there are any in the middle east?… if only Falwell was alive he would know some.(btw, 2002 McCain and Falwell kissed and made up, Falwell thought very highly of McCain)

right2bright on February 5, 2008 at 3:12 PM

dedalus on February 5, 2008 at 2:01 PM

The issue was *not* a filibuster in general. It was the use of the filibuster to obstruct the voting on judicial appointments. This kind of filibuster had almost *never* been done before. Republicans rightly wanted to force an up or down vote on judicial appointments. Had they been able to do so, the filibuster for this purpose only (which only democrats have dared to use) would be tossed.

robm on February 5, 2008 at 3:14 PM

a capella on February 5, 2008 at 3:09 PM

And Mitt has on his webpage 21 stories of McCain “going to the Dems”, 17 of these “stories” and “quotes” are from one man and the same article. 2 are from Kerry (a real “sraight talker” and the other two are just garbage.

Is this the type of kind of Straight Talk we can expect from the Romney presidency?

See how it plays out? Looks like you aren’t voting for anyone now.

right2bright on February 5, 2008 at 3:15 PM

What a sad, sorry man Dobson has become to me in the last few months; also, how largely irrelevant… :(

PolitiNOOB on February 5, 2008 at 3:30 PM

The issue was *not* a filibuster in general.

Yes. You are right. That’s a distinction Dobson doesn’t make in his statement. The way he reads it it sounds like McCain’s support for the filibuster is bad in general.

If Clinton or Obama get in, the Republicans may look to use that filibuster on some judges. Given their probable congressional deficit they’ll need every resource available.

dedalus on February 5, 2008 at 3:54 PM

Right, because Christians aren’t allowed to express political opinions.

jgapinoy on February 5, 2008 at 2:02 PM

No, because as a Christian, Dobson doesn’t speak for me, and when he does speak out he makes all of us look like kooks.

infidel4life on February 5, 2008 at 3:55 PM

right2bright on February 5, 2008 at 3:15 PM

So, you agree with what jgapinoy tried to do because Romney has quotes on his site from a single source? You don’t like Romney’s web page stories, so that makes it O.K. for HA posters to misrepresent data? Man, that’s some heavy moral equivilance stuff you got going on. For some reason I have had the impression you were a man of the cloth. Tell me it ain’t so.

a capella on February 5, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Dobson is an a_hole, a jerk and an idiot. That’s just plain speaking folks

georgealbert on February 5, 2008 at 2:43 PM

You do not have to like Dobson, but an idiot he is not. He has an earned Ph.D. in child development from University of Southern California. I have met him on a number of occasions, and have found him to be an intelligent man deeply concerned about families and the culture in which they live. He has as much right to state his political views as anyone with a microphone, and you have every right to ignore them. The ad hominems, however, do not reflect well on you.

DrMagnolias on February 5, 2008 at 4:08 PM

You do not have to like Dobson, but an idiot he is not.

I have …….found him to be an intelligent man deeply concerned about families and the culture in which they live.

DrMagnolias on February 5, 2008 at 4:08 PM

Duly noted.

The problem I have with him, is that he has not un-endorsed Mike Huckabee.

I have been blogging on this for awhile now: dated 01/22/2008

Dobson was going on the media circuit last year, explaining that he could not support Rudy Giuliani or Fred Thompson because of their record.
Well, if the history of a candidate is what we look at, then why is Dobson overlooking Huckabee’s liberal record as Governor of Arkansas!?!
There is no need to go into Huckabee’s record here, as it has been highlighted on blogs and conservative radio, ad nauseam.

My comment today is:

This seriously, really gets under my skin. He’s apparently afraid to un-endorse Huckabee because of an evangelical backlash.

That’s not a principled stand! That’s far worse than a chicken out! Despicable, that’s what it is. Utterly despicable!!

Mcguyver on February 5, 2008 at 4:19 PM

a capella on February 5, 2008 at 4:06 PM

I was responding to his McCain’s “straight talk” with Mitt’s “straight talk”. Don’t read anything more into it, it will make you dizzy. I wasn’t saying it was ok, could you point that out to me? Neither one is a “straight talker”.
All politicians pontificate, by definition they are not “straight talkers”. Mitt is no different then any other. Want more examples, like gun control? Want more. They all do it.

Man, that’s some heavy moral equivilance stuff that I never said, stuff you got going on.

right2bright on February 5, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Sucks that you’re forced to read this, isn’t it?

thirteen28 on February 5, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Not at all, thirty-one thirteen+twenty-eight thirteen+28 thirteen28 (if I may call you that).

John from WuzzaDem on February 5, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Mcguyver on February 5, 2008 at 4:19 PM

Fair enough, and point well taken. To be honest, I never understood the Huckabee endorsement in the first place. I understand saying you will never vote for anyone who is not pro-life, as Dobson has, if those are your convictions, but surely we can find someone who is pro-life *and* refuses to sell our country down the liberal river on other issues. I was a Thompson supporter for this reason–federalism all the way.

DrMagnolias on February 5, 2008 at 4:33 PM

The first thing I’ve agreed with him on in a long time. I blame Dobson for a lot of this mess though. His early proclamations of who were and were not Christian enough propelled Huckabee past Thompson in the early contests (among evangelicals who had previously polled in Thompson’s favor) and was likely a contributing factor to his early demise.

edgehead on February 5, 2008 at 4:35 PM

I’m trying not to put words in your mouth so let’s do it this way. Do you approve of a HA poster using data in a way that deceives the reader? Doesn’t matter who else does it on whatever site. If a supporter of one of the candidates essentially lies by ommission here on HA, is it justified?

a capella on February 5, 2008 at 4:36 PM

Obama burger—–Fluffinutter sandwhich with hemlock and a side of hope.

Win.

Meh, I’m ready to get this election over with so we can start rebuilding. The clapboard is up, the doors are locked and the family is in the station wagon on its way out of the path of the coming storm.

Here’s hoping the Republican party has hurriMcCain insurance.

spmat on February 5, 2008 at 5:09 PM

If it’s McShamnesty I’m sitting this one out. I’d rather have a Dem in the Whitehouse who the republican Senate and Congress can fight tooth and nail on every issue than a RINO who Republicans are likely to go along with on everything from a new Shamnesty deal to drilling in Anwar…oh wait that’s right, he won’t drill in Anwar…GLOBAL WARMING!!! The sky is indeed falling.

b4itsover on February 5, 2008 at 5:22 PM

Yep, 50 = 9.
Empathy for the military = abject hatred for the military.
Lifetime pro-life rhetoric and voting record = extreme pro choicer.

Hey, they are exactly alike.

funky chicken on February 5, 2008 at 5:30 PM

I love Dobson; he has done much more good than most on this thread could ever imagine.

Still, he is only a fallible human being, and — in this election cycle — he seems to be venting all the bitterness he has built up over many years of betrayal at the hands of the GOP Leadership.

He has had enough and he is not going to take it anymore.

That said, I say: Thank you for your service to God and our Country, Dr. Dobson.

Now: GO, JOHN McCAIN!

sanantonian on February 5, 2008 at 6:39 PM

a capella, you distort what I say the same way you distort McCain’s record.

jgapinoy on February 5, 2008 at 8:27 PM

edgehead

Dobson never said anyone wasn’t Christian enough (as Bryan has pointed out in HA). He said evangelicals might not consider Fred “Christian enough”.

jgapinoy on February 5, 2008 at 8:31 PM

John from WuzzaDem on February 5, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Just don’t call me sixteen54. I hate when people do that.

thirteen28 on February 5, 2008 at 9:55 PM

Just don’t call me sixteen54. I hate when people do that.

thirteen28 on February 5, 2008 at 9:55 PM

No problem, MCCCXXVIII.

John from WuzzaDem on February 5, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Oops – I mean, XIIIXXVIII

John from WuzzaDem on February 5, 2008 at 11:07 PM

jgapinoy on February 5, 2008 at 8:31 PM

That’s BS! The implication was CLEAR. Just like when the media blindsides a politician with: “some people are saying…blah, blah, blah” when it’s the reporter who’s making the accusation.
It was Dobson’s original thought, and HE put it out there, and Huckabee surged… and we have the results.

edgehead on February 5, 2008 at 11:43 PM

Dobson is anti-McCain?

What a ringing endorsement for McCain, in that case..

Reaps on February 6, 2008 at 6:52 AM