Tammy Bruce: No, I’m not kidding about voting for Hillary over McCain

posted at 2:14 pm on February 4, 2008 by Allahpundit

Like Coulter, she says she’s serious about the nuclear option, and (presumably) like Coulter, she thinks Mitt would be a tougher out for the Dems than McCain. Would he? We’ve already had this debate, more or less, in another context, but to imagine Romney being elected at this point you have to envision him winning not one but two races as the “anyone but” candidate. Has that ever happened? Has any guy ever swept through the primaries and the general on the tide of atmospheric loathing for his opponents? It’s a sure loser against Obama, who carries no baggage and whose charm and “authenticity” (and historical significance) match up, shall we say, very neatly with Mitt’s perceived stiffness and phoniness.

Anything’s possible against Hillary, but why does Tammy think Hillary would wipe out McCain, who’s always done better against her than Romney has head to head (possibly because of the greater name recognition), while Romney would give her a race? Her organization delivered an unlikely win for her in New Hampshire and an impressive six-point victory in Nevada; his organization’s 1 for 5 in hotly contested primaries against opponents vastly weaker than the one she has to contend with. Is centrist opposition to Hillary so strong that independents are going to come out in force for a weak candidate whose own party only turned to him at the eleventh hour out of panic about the alternative? Hard to believe. Which isn’t to say Hillary won’t beat McCain either, but that doesn’t seem to be Tammy’s fear. Her fear is that she won’t beat him and then we’re stuck with the RINO brand — another worry that I think is overblown.

People are sending me this piece about McCain’s possible Supreme Court picks too, I guess so that I can dump on it. Judicial appointment are one of the least worrisome aspects of a McCain presidency. He says himself he doesn’t care about social issues; appointing pro-life judges in the Roberts mold is a perfect way for him to buy himself credit with the base that he can then go spend on the leftist crap that makes his heart sing, like amnesty.

Exit question: These Tammy/Beckel tangles are really getting “edgy,” aren’t they?

Update: It’s all probably moot anyway.

[T]he winner-take-all/proportional split among the primaries has just sorted out terribly for Romney. He’s going to get a decent slice of the vote in McCain’s best states and absolutely no delegates to show for it, while McCain gets a few here and a few there in Romney’s best states, and California probably splits pretty evenly.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Why is Tammy Bruce the person who decides what ‘conservative’ means? She wanted ruDe to win (even though he’d make sure she didn’t have any more weapons than she actually needed like the liberals).

She is pro-abortion, former NOW president, ex-Democrat (‘converted’ in the 90′s) who probably railed against the REAL conservative movement all her waking moments that she was a D. She probably cursed Jesse Helms on a daily basis. And Helms is THE conservative movement, not Reagan. If Tammy would have listened to good conservatives like Helms in the 90′s, she might have a shred more credibility now trying to tell us who is and is not conservative.

I’m sorry, but Tammy Bruce does not define conservative.

ThackerAgency on February 4, 2008 at 4:52 PM

McCain is a liar from Hanoi…….

He broke his shoulders in the plane crash…..then succumbed to his communist captors…….

He is anti-American and pro-Terrorist/Illegals……..

He’s a lying, half-pint, old shltbag…….

I NEVER liked him before he even declared his candidacy because of his contempt for GITMO and WaterBoarding to save American lives………He considers Kerry a butt-buddy…..

I pray that the states that are left see a clear headed conservative upswing…….and the HuckaGeek chokes on a squirrel bone…….

awesum on February 4, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Jeez Allah- are you kiddin’ me- McCain stabs conservatives in the back NOW- EVERY CHANCE HE GITS. And, hell, right NOW he needs us.

Can you imagine what he’s gonna do WHEN HE NO LONGER NEEDS US???!!!

McCain WANTS REVENGE, DUDE.

Ex-tex on February 4, 2008 at 4:55 PM

2 things:

First, McCain would appoint a liberal to the SCOTUS, no if’s and’s or buts. Look at his opposition to Alito.

Second, McCain will lose against either Shrillary or Osama, period. No Republican can win without the conservative base, and I think enough of them will sit this one out, should he become the nominee. McCain has no chance.

rightside on February 4, 2008 at 5:29 PM

And Helms is THE conservative movement, not Reagan.

Oh I wish I was in Dixie…

The Race Card on February 4, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Come ON TRC, you aren’t going to ‘Strom Thurman’ me like Trent Lott.

I know he was racially divisive, but his conservative positions politically defined republican conservatism. If it weren’t for the race baiting, Helms would be heralded because he was RIGHT more often than not. He was head of the Senate Foreign relations committee in the 90′s and was railed for saying the UN should be kicked out and we should stop paying dues.

Blacks agree with Helms on a lot of conservative issues. I understand the concept of bristling at the thought that someone who did not necessarily think that separate but equal was ‘evil’. But really, white people have just tried to earn a living and make it. It’s easy to look at race and claim victimhood.

Helms was vilified because of his positions on ‘Civil Rights’, and I agree with him that much of the Civil Rights movement has been misguided. It is misguided because it does not address the issue of the eternal victimhood that is prevalent among race hustlers (and doesn’t solve problems).

Everyone in America has opportunity. Don’t Trent Lott me. . . I ain’t skeered of a little race baiting. I know I’m not a racist, I know Helms is not a racist, and no matter how you or the media paint either of us is not going to make a difference in the FACT that Helms was the AUTHOR of conservatism in America.

ThackerAgency on February 4, 2008 at 6:33 PM

“He is Hillary Clinton in a suit.”

…only he’s better looking…

…Heck, if McCain wore a dress, he would probably be better looking than Hillary…;-)

Sorry Hill, You’ll always look like “Big Bird” to me.

Planet Boulder on February 4, 2008 at 7:30 PM

I love it when Tammy is so heated!

SouthernGent on February 4, 2008 at 7:40 PM

I listen to Tammy most everyday, streaming pc. hard to believe she’s claims to be a dem but she does and will not renounce her loyalty to the party that left her. She knows her stuff…makes lots of sense, very politically savey. Shame she could make some guy very happy, but…

oldernslower on February 4, 2008 at 9:48 PM

Romney is the one that has a chance to defeat the democrap in the general, he’s the only 1 that does.

oldernslower on February 4, 2008 at 9:50 PM

ThackerAgency on February 4, 2008 at 6:33 PM

Jesse Helms was a stalwart conservative no doubt. He had black supporters when other Republicans had none. We agree on those points.

But I don’t give him the same pass you do on his racial divisiveness. Your misgivings about the civil rights movement and its impact ignore the plain-as-day tenor of much of his rhetoric.

We can agree to disagree. But you are playing the same victim card you so vehemently oppose being played against you. I never called you a racist and did not imply it.

I think your whitewash of Helms’ littany of bigoted statements leaves a lot to be desired. But that doesn’t make you a bigot. It makes you a defender of one. There is a huge difference.

I’m glad you “ain’t skeered of a little race baiting.” I appreciate when people are not afraid to show their true colors. The worst way to deal with racism is to mask one’s true feelings. Many Republicans and Democrats are guilty of this. You are not.

The Race Card on February 4, 2008 at 9:56 PM

Tammy is shrill.

amkun on February 4, 2008 at 11:21 PM

Tammy is shrill.

amkun on February 4, 2008 at 11:21 PM

She is, but that guy’s a real jerk. And it’s obvious, behind his smiling face, who he’d like to go against.

Tammy is shrill.

amkun on February 4, 2008 at 11:21 PM

Yeah, but she’s one of the hottest Mytilenaeans around…

Tzetzes on February 4, 2008 at 11:49 PM

Doesn’t matter, the dude is a Massachusetts flip-flopping liberal.

Chakra Hammer on February 4, 2008 at 2:33 PM

I’m going to ask this once again (knowing full well that I won’t get a responce on it though), When has Mitt ever flopped back? All I can see is him flipping (changing his mind) but never flopping back.

- The Cat

awesum on February 4, 2008 at 4:54 PM

You’re a poo-poo head

MirCat on February 5, 2008 at 12:02 AM

She is pro-abortion, former NOW president, ex-Democrat (’converted’ in the 90’s) who probably railed against the REAL conservative movement all her waking moments that she was a D. She probably cursed Jesse Helms on a daily basis. And Helms is THE conservative movement, not Reagan. If Tammy would have listened to good conservatives like Helms in the 90’s, she might have a shred more credibility now trying to tell us who is and is not conservative.

I’m sorry, but Tammy Bruce does not define conservative.

ThackerAgency on February 4, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Right, right right and right.

She is another one out there for the money and recognition.

She is no Conservative….and who said she changed her party affiliation?

AprilOrit on February 5, 2008 at 12:30 AM

Tammy is shrill.

amkun on February 4, 2008 at 11:21 PM

i.e. Women should never raise their voices while giving their opinons.

It’s unlady-like and makes the men folk uncomfortable.

Duly note.

The Ugly American on February 5, 2008 at 1:14 AM

Wow I was leaning towards Romney but this over the top McCain hatred defies all logic.Just out of the shear ridiculousness of the charges (Faked being tortured in Vietnam?!?!?!) I am starting to think about voting for the guy. I mean Reagan was the greatest president of my lifetime and his Supreme court nominees and stance on illegal immigration weren’t exactly strong.

tottoritodd on February 5, 2008 at 2:19 AM