Quote of the day

posted at 10:47 pm on February 4, 2008 by Allahpundit

“Does society really want us to settle for Mr Only OK rather than the real deal?”

Comments

Sow-reap.

davidk on February 4, 2008 at 10:51 PM

British women in their thirties want mates. They can’t find any. Why? Because most eligible males are selfish, mixed-up man-boys chasing no-strings sex, says our correspondent.

Whatever. Soon to be 32-year old eligible male here who has wanted to find a female whose first two priorities in life were not (1) getting laid and (2) getting drunk. So, these correspondents can stop with the smearing of men. Women are just as selfish, superficial and chasing sex and drunkenness as men.

Michael in MI on February 4, 2008 at 10:52 PM

I’m the real deal.

Tell me again, what’s the problem?

Mcguyver on February 4, 2008 at 10:53 PM

British women in their thirties want mates. They can’t find any.

Don’t worry ladies, pretty soon you’ll be married to a muslim and sharing him with a few of your best friends.

Tony737 on February 4, 2008 at 10:55 PM

Women are just as selfish, superficial and chasing sex and drunkenness as men.

*taking notes* And these women would be in…?

greenonions on February 4, 2008 at 10:56 PM

Michael in Mi-

Any numbers?

(Try meeting girls at art museums… unless they’re staring fixedly at Jasper John’s painted bronze ‘Beer Cans’ [1960], of course..)

profitsbeard on February 4, 2008 at 10:57 PM

British women in their thirties want mates.

Got passport? Allah

Speakup on February 4, 2008 at 10:58 PM

Awww…poor widdle baaaabies.

And there’s not another side to this? As in, who wants to put up with an overbearing, if it ain’t perfect it’s craaaaap fantasy world princess?

There ain’t enough booze OR excedrin….

Wind Rider on February 4, 2008 at 11:03 PM

Never you worry, tart. When your Muslim overlords declare Sharia law over England, you’ll find yourself in the loving arms of caring, devoted, completely monogamous, gentle, merciful husband. For the rest of your life you won’t need to worry about man-boys and no-strings sex; you’ll have all the sex you could ever want with the same man for the rest of your life, however long that might be.

Does that suit you, darling?

fourstringfuror on February 4, 2008 at 11:03 PM

Tony737 on February 4, 2008 at 10:55 PM

Beat me to it.

fourstringfuror on February 4, 2008 at 11:04 PM

Are there any straight men left in Britain? I hear there aren’t many from my gay friends that go over that all the time!

SouthernGent on February 4, 2008 at 11:04 PM

Does society really want us to settle for Mr Only OK rather than the real deal?

What the heck does that mean?

Perhaps the problem here is not with society but one’s own expectations! Should one “settle” for the mate that will remain faithful, build a family, and be a partner or…… should one hold out for the hot swimsuit model who happens to be attracted to pasty and dumpy thirtysomethings? Seems to me as if the author is more aligned with the latter view.

highhopes on February 4, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Women are crazy.

That is all.

askheaves on February 4, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Michael in MI on February 4, 2008 at 10:52 PM

If you want to send your rejects my way, I’ll gladly take them…

Hollowpoint on February 4, 2008 at 11:10 PM

If you want to send your rejects my way, I’ll gladly take them…

Hollowpoint on February 4, 2008 at 11:10 PM

I would say move to Michigan, but I hardly believe that Michigan is the only place to find them. I know my two younger brothers in Chicago run with a crowd whose focus is on sex and getting drunk. I’m certain that these women are all over the place, specifically on college campuses or any neighborhood bar.

Michael in MI on February 4, 2008 at 11:22 PM

This looks like a job for Beta Man!

Kini on February 4, 2008 at 11:22 PM

Hey stop talkin bout our Billy Jeff like that.

Chimp 6 on February 4, 2008 at 11:25 PM

Michael in MI on February 4, 2008 at 10:52 PM

If you want to send your rejects my way, I’ll gladly take them…

Hollowpoint on February 4, 2008 at 11:10 PM

Depending upon their commitment to item number 2, they may not find their way to your house to participate in item number 1. Last thing we need is a bunch of drunk women in the street, loudly slurring, “Hollowpoint! Where are you?”

Weight of Glory on February 4, 2008 at 11:26 PM

Any numbers?

profitsbeard on February 4, 2008 at 10:57 PM

Numbers? Numbers for what?

I’m just giving my personal anecdote. I’m certain all women are not selfish, superficial and focused on sex and getting drunk, just as all men are not either. I’m just tired of the stereotype smearing of men. Women today should be stereotyped the same way. They are not the fairer, more mature sex anymore. Feminism has morphed this society. You show me a woman like this and I’ll ask her out in a heartbeat. But they are few and far between.

Michael in MI on February 4, 2008 at 11:27 PM

Tis easier to enter marriage than it is to exit marriage.
Really get to know who you hook up with.
Get your shots, cooties and such.

Always, always, have a good prenuptial

Kini on February 4, 2008 at 11:30 PM

I’ve been seeing a lot of articles by women like this lately. They come across as bitter, woe is me, whine-fests. I’m 23 and can’t find a girl who isn’t into drinking, partying, and other irresponsible behavior to save my life. I’m sure they exist, but I’ve yet to find one. Maybe it’s because I’m in California…
Anyway, All these “man-boys” this person is whining about are hooking up with someone for no-strings attached sex, and it’s not other men. Acting as though one gender is solely responsible for everything wrong with relationships today is incredibly foolish. Both sides of the equation have issues. Even I know that much.

Grayson on February 4, 2008 at 11:33 PM

Women are just as selfish, superficial and chasing sex and drunkenness as men.

Michael in MI on February 4, 2008 at 10:52 PM

Ooh what a case of the bitters. I hear Janet Reno is available for long walks on the beach. She isn’t interested in sex or alcohol so she make a perfect match for you.

Bradky on February 4, 2008 at 11:34 PM

Rudy See as the most honest

In pictures: US candidates’ body language

Look at picture 4, Mr Romney suffers from a “nose-growing Pinocchio lying cue”.

Chakra Hammer on February 4, 2008 at 11:38 PM

Shaking the head

However, Ms Wood says former Massachusetts governor Mr Romney suffers from a “nose-growing Pinocchio lying cue”.

The expert – who has taught interview techniques to police – says there is something suspicious about someone making an affirmative statement, such as “I am innocent”, while shaking their head.

She adds: “Romney does this all the time, making positive statements, such as ‘The American people are the greatest in the world’, but then shaking his head ‘No’.”

Chakra Hammer on February 4, 2008 at 11:41 PM

Bradky on February 4, 2008 at 11:34 PM

Ooh, thank you for thinking you know all about me and my background based on one comment I leave on a blog. You insightful, clever genius you.

Michael in MI on February 4, 2008 at 11:42 PM

Bradky on February 4, 2008 at 11:34 PM

He was talking about women. Why the hell did you bring up Janet Reno?

Grayson on February 4, 2008 at 11:43 PM

Grayson on February 4, 2008 at 11:33 PM

Bingo.

Michael in MI on February 4, 2008 at 11:43 PM

I was going to say jeez, they’ll let any old body write for the Times these day, but then I got to the bottom and saw that the author is a Professor of Evolutionary Anthropology at the University of Oxford.

What is this world coming to when Oxford profs write socio-psychobabble crap like this? At least now I don’t feel so bad about paying a huge amount of money for my oldest child to go to college at a place where she had to write a paper on the poet, Tupac. Really.

Bad Penny on February 4, 2008 at 11:44 PM

Michael in MI on February 4, 2008 at 11:42 PM

Perhaps you shouldn’t air your inadequacies on a public forum.
And yes I am a genius, member of Mensa and generally smart guy – thanks for the affirmation.

Bradky on February 4, 2008 at 11:44 PM

Chakra Hammer on February 4, 2008 at 11:41 PM

Is there no limit to where you will spew your hate-filled propoganda? This isn’t even a politically oriented thread!

Some bridge is missing its troll.

highhopes on February 4, 2008 at 11:45 PM

Perhaps you shouldn’t air your inadequacies on a public forum.

Bradky on February 4, 2008 at 11:44 PM

I didn’t know having an opinion about women, based on experience, was an “inadequacy”. Thanks for the tip.

Michael in MI on February 4, 2008 at 11:46 PM

All were thirtysomething, bright, successful bachelors. They had all had therapy.

Ah, well there is the problem! Ladies, look for men!

Spirit of 1776 on February 5, 2008 at 12:00 AM

Bradky on February 4, 2008 at 11:44 PM

when you have to tell us that you are smart, then…well, you’re smart enough to know the rest…

tlynch001 on February 5, 2008 at 12:03 AM

Does society really want us to settle for Mr Only OK when we could have the real deal?

I thought this was going to be another slam at McCain.

jgapinoy on February 5, 2008 at 12:04 AM

Bradky in Mensa………..LOL

Bill Clinton in a seminary, etc

Don’t worry, Michael. You’ll find the Right Gal soon enough. Don’t let a Certified Retard like Bradky get you down. Try going South: Southern women can at least put on a good show of Propriety

Janos Hunyadi on February 5, 2008 at 12:05 AM

They are not the fairer, more mature sex anymore.

Forbid the day they are not the fairer! A woman can bring beauty in a way no man can. Heh, men enable them to full-bloom and are in turn intoxicated by them. Don’t let the thorns convince you to redefine the rose, because then you will neither be the wiser, nor your life more full.

Spirit of 1776 on February 5, 2008 at 12:08 AM

Some bridge is missing its troll.

highhopes on February 4, 2008 at 11:45 PM

I will do anything to keep Hillary out of the White House with a Democrat controlled House and Senate.

Willard has NO Chance in the General.

Chakra Hammer on February 5, 2008 at 12:10 AM

I thought this was going to be another slam at McCain.

jgapinoy on February 5, 2008 at 12:04 AM

That would mean he is Mr Only O.K., and my impression is some posters wouldn’t categorize him as such.

a capella on February 5, 2008 at 12:10 AM

I knew a woman who had her husband chosen for her by her parents in India.

She met her husband the day she married him and 40 years later she was still madly in love with him.

EJDolbow on February 5, 2008 at 12:15 AM

Willard has NO Chance in the General.

Chakra Hammer on February 5, 2008 at 12:10 AM

Sure he does – he is not 72 and cranky like McCain.

Romney is tall and beautiful, articulate and competent, strong and faithfull, optimistic and forward looking.

There are many, many women out there who will never trust a woman to be POTUS and will turn to the man who has been a good husband, father and provider for his family for 40 years.

Trust me on this, I have been talking to women voters for 20 years and this is how they vote.

EJDolbow on February 5, 2008 at 12:18 AM

Janos Hunyadi on February 5, 2008 at 12:05 AM

Heh, thanks, but I don’t take seriously what anyone says online about me, so no worries there. :) A lot of people add purpose to their life by trying to bring other people down with verbal or physical swipes, online or in person. I understand that. No big deal. I’m not that fragile a person that what someone says in the comments section of some blog is going to affect me. If he feels better for calling me inadequate, hey, more power to him.

Michael in MI on February 5, 2008 at 12:20 AM

Spirit of 1776 on February 5, 2008 at 12:08 AM

Oh don’t worry, I have accepted my fate in that sense, Spirit of 1776. I’m no longer bitter. It creeps up once in a while, sure, but I have accepted my life will not be wiser and fuller thanks to the companionship of a woman. Just the way it is.

And I know deep down that not all women are the way I describe. My point is that not all men are not as well, but it seems convenient to continue making men the scapegoat and describing them that way, when, in fact, more and more women nowadays are fitting that description also.

Michael in MI on February 5, 2008 at 12:24 AM

My friend, I would be remiss if I did not point out you did just the same, except instead of a swipe at one person, you took a swipe at the whole gender. Your words: Women today should be stereotyped the same way.

And the Janet Reno line is funny.

Spirit of 1776 on February 5, 2008 at 12:26 AM

Michael in MI on February 5, 2008 at 12:24 AM

Pardon if I disagree. It clearly is a subject of emotion for you, as it has come up before in these threads. I won’t belabor the point, as unsolicited commentary is often unwelcome:) but I will contribute the idea that it is difficult to see the sun when you have the shades closed. That difficulty increases exponentially when one says the sun will never shine and resolves to keep them closed. What was was, what is is; who knows what tomorrow will be?

Spirit of 1776 on February 5, 2008 at 12:38 AM

And the Janet Reno line is funny.

Spirit of 1776 on February 5, 2008 at 12:26 AM

To each their own.

The thing I don’t get is, how does he know Janet Reno isn’t into sex and alcohol?

Grayson on February 5, 2008 at 12:40 AM

Grayson on February 5, 2008 at 12:40 AM

Good point. You’ll have to ask Bradky about how he came to be intimately familar with those details :)

Spirit of 1776 on February 5, 2008 at 12:42 AM

Beat me to it.
fourstringfuror on February 4, 2008 at 11:04 PM

Inadvertent LOL.

andycanuck on February 5, 2008 at 1:13 AM

And the Janet Reno line is funny.

Spirit of 1776 on February 5, 2008 at 12:26 AM

I would be remiss if I did not point out that this was not the first article, written by a women, linked by hotair, (someones beta male status may have something to do with that) that did asked “where are all of the good men?” and thereby taking a swipe at the entire male gender.

It is a 2 way street when it come to the rules of attraction as far as I am concerned.

F15Mech on February 5, 2008 at 1:14 AM

Weight of Glory on February 4, 2008 at 11:26 PM

You’ve just described every dream I’ve had since 1986.

Hollowpoint on February 5, 2008 at 1:23 AM

Michael in MI on February 4, 2008 at 11:22 PM

I’m hanging out in the wrong bars…

Though on Friday some drunk girl (attractive, but wearing the square “I’m a liberal” glasses) dragged me out on the dance floor because I looked at her for 2 seconds. I danced with her a bit and she kept dragging me back, though mostly she was trying not to fall down. This went on a while (we hardly spoke at all with the loud music and all) and out of the blue she says in a horrified voice “You’re a Republican, aren’t you? After that she left me alone… then went in (alone) to the topless joint next door- in her defense, it’s a classy topless bar.

On paper she seemed like a bar-hopper’s dream, on the other I got a serious “something ain’t right about this chick” vibe. It was weird.

Weird mostly because I didn’t lie and say I was an Obama supporter, which probably would’ve “sealed the deal”. I guess I do have some morals after all…

Hollowpoint on February 5, 2008 at 1:32 AM

Hollowpoint on February 5, 2008 at 1:32 AM

Heh. Ironically enough, if my brothers’ and their friends’ MySpace pages are any indication, most of them seem to be Obama supporters.

Take note though that I didn’t say you would find Republican women who were into sex and getting drunk, but rather that you could easily find women in general who were into sex and getting drunk.

You’re adding some extra standards in where they were not orginally. Can’t help ya there.

Michael in MI on February 5, 2008 at 1:37 AM

F15Mech on February 5, 2008 at 1:14 AM

Thank you, you made my point better than me.

Though I will concede that I should have said “women could be steretyped…” instead of “should be” in my statement.

But this goes back to my point that you made: it is not that the stereotype is true of either side, but rather that it is always made of men and rarely made of women, when, in fact, culture has developed enough women to have these same traits to now warrant the stereotype for them as well.

My attack therefore was not really at women, but rather at this constant stereotyping of men, while letting women off the hook. As someone mentioned up thread though, blaming one gender or the other for all relationship problems is foolish. Yet, 9 times out of 10, men get the blame. So I see these “studies” as more men bashing than truly trying to help societal relationships to improve.

Michael in MI on February 5, 2008 at 1:43 AM

Well it could be that some males see into the crystal
ball of what might be in store for them from the domineering
large and in charge females!

Or,maybe the males in England don’t want to do the whole
kabaki dance,that some females enjoy putting them through!

Well theres two angles,I’m married,so i’m lucky!

canopfor on February 5, 2008 at 1:59 AM

Michael in MI on February 4, 2008 at 10:52 PM

Michael in MI,

My wife is proof that there are wonderful women out there!

We now have enjoyed 17 plus years since we met, and almost 12 years since we married. We are blessed with three born children, (sadly, one we lost to miscarriage which would have been four children to date, a loss which actually increased, or deepened our appreciation of all our children), and one who has been swimming around and practicing Jiu Jitsu, Kung Fu, Muay Thai, and Gymnastics inside my wife’s tummy, about to make his or her transition from inside the womb to the outside world over the next 17 to 24 days or less.

Our children, his or her three siblings – girl – 10, boy – 7, and girl – 4, are excited to meet their little brother or sister, having seen and felt baby dancing all over the place for months through mommy’s tummy.

There is nothing like waiting for something wonderful like this, and for me, although I did not know it at the time, that I would one day meet the most wonderful woman and enjoy such a wonderful life as a husband and a father, but I did, and it was well worth the wait.

William

William2006 on February 5, 2008 at 4:39 AM

Bradky on February 4, 2008 at 11:44 PM

Personally, I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
– Groucho

MB4 on February 5, 2008 at 4:57 AM

Spirit of 1776 on February 5, 2008 at 12:42 AM

LOL Easy Cowboy. Janet is my cousin.

Personally, I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
– Groucho

MB4 on February 5, 2008 at 4:57 AM

LOL

Bradky on February 5, 2008 at 5:28 AM

Why should men have to settle for Ms. Entitled Airhead instead of Ms. Right?

BKennedy on February 5, 2008 at 7:14 AM

Not to belabor the obvious, but Mr. Only OK is the Real Deal. It is Mr. Right who is the fantasy.

We have come full circle.

gridlock2 on February 5, 2008 at 7:50 AM

hormonally charged sperm-bandits

Ha!

Dash on February 5, 2008 at 7:56 AM

Generally speaking, it’s probably a bad idea to exclusively date men who are in therapy.

That being said, I don’t fault the author of this piece and I don’t see it as “whining”, nor do I see it as a blame game.

She is reporting on a cultural phenomenon and her experiences, so it seems sort of silly to attack her for reporting on them.

Buy Danish on February 5, 2008 at 7:58 AM

A little hint for my beta-Male bretheren. You meet the right woman when you are out doing something other than trying to meet the right woman. Be active in your church, you political party, the Rotary Club, or whatever. Get out there and interact with interesting people who have something on the ball, instead of people who are just looking to hook up. Many of those people are women, and will be just as happy to accidentally find you as you are to find them.

gridlock2 on February 5, 2008 at 8:02 AM

And the multiculturalists say culture isn’t that important?

The UK church-going is way down, Political Correctness is running amok, people are monitored at every street corner like children, men and women are seen interchangable entities in all roles and THEN they are wonder why the men aren’t in the overly mature category?

Its almost too funny to think about. Culture is stronger then laws, political correctness, science or economics. Unfortunately it is the first item discarded on the way to destroying the other three.

DavidM on February 5, 2008 at 8:20 AM

Always, always, have a good prenuptial

Kini on February 4, 2008 at 11:30 PM

Why should men have to settle for Ms. Entitled Airhead instead of Ms. Right?

BKennedy on February 5, 2008 at 7:14 AM

Being a divorcee of one month, I think these guys hit the nail on the head.

txsurveyor on February 5, 2008 at 8:25 AM

I’m a cute, single male interested in finding an attractive single female very interested in the Islamic war on the West and counter-jihad.

Interested parties can submit their details at….

Canadian Infidel on February 5, 2008 at 9:04 AM

Men are like eggs. They must hatch or go bad.

Women are like eggs. They must be refrigerated or they quickly start to smell.

ronsfi on February 5, 2008 at 9:15 AM

I learned long, long ago when shopping for clothes, that waiting until the end of the season to get the shirt or trousers fit well and I really really like, in a shrewd attempt to get it on my terms, wasn’t very shrewd of me.

But, I still blame it on the department stores for not having stocked enough of them.

Dusty on February 5, 2008 at 9:37 AM

Women are like eggs. They must be refrigerated or they quickly start to smell.

ronsfi on February 5, 2008 at 9:15 AM

That was just weird, (dude?) I’ll leave it to Dr. Freud to figure out why you felt compelled to ‘share’ that.

Buy Danish on February 5, 2008 at 9:42 AM

FTA: Personally, I think an odd thing happens to man-boy brains at about the age of 30. Some neural pathway, hitherto well oiled through a diet of normal relationships and an awareness of such terms as “compromise” and “I’m sorry”, tunes in to a specific area of the brain labelled “navel gazing”.

It could also be their reaction is not “navel gazing”, but more like “why bother?”

golfer1 on February 5, 2008 at 9:49 AM

Buy Danish on February 5, 2008 at 9:42 AM

Don’t be a concrete thinker.

ronsfi on February 5, 2008 at 9:53 AM

Women are like eggs. They must be refrigerated or they quickly start to smell.

Really? The woman who wrote this piece sounds plenty “refrigerated” to me.

As a Catholic, I was brought up to believe that marriage and family were more than just something into which one was led by instinct or inertia. They were a genuine calling, a “vocation.” Maybe you had it, maybe you didn’t. (Sorry if that’s too “religious” for some of you, but you might find The Boss’ view of the subject to be quite similar. I’m just guessing here, okay?) People can be motivated by all manner of reasons to wait, not the least of which is to meet “the one” who makes it easier to get to Heaven, as opposed to harder. The columnist highlighted here seems to be motivated by selfish desire. No men are good enough. Give a society enough self-absorbed women like that, and it won’t be long before enough men pick up on it.

That’s when being a “man-boy” starts looking like a viable alternative.

manwithblackhat on February 5, 2008 at 9:54 AM

Awww…poor widdle baaaabies.

There ain’t enough booze OR excedrin….

Wind Rider on February 4, 2008 at 11:03 PM

I am with you Wind Rider

brtex on February 5, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Wow, my first thought was, it’s “Bridgitt Jones Diary” in a news column! My second thought was:

Tony737 on February 4, 2008 at 10:55 PM

It’s a mess, finding the “right” one, I don’t think the men are totally to blame as the writer claims.

Spirit of 1776 on February 5, 2008 at 12:08 AM

That was beautiful, truly.

4shoes on February 5, 2008 at 10:27 AM

William2006 on February 5, 2008 at 4:39 AM

William – While I am very happy for your life’s blessings of marriage and family (and yes, I truly do believe that finding one’s true companion and having a family are blessings), your success in marriage and family no more shows that I will succeed than someone’s failed marriage shows that my eventual marriage would fail. We each are individuals with individual experiences in life. I am no more certain that my eventual marriage would fail, just because everyone in my family (parents, aunts and uncles) are divorded than I am certain that I will eventually find my true companion just, because many others have done so.

I determine my life, based on myself and my own experiences, in what I believe and for what I stand.

Michael in MI on February 5, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Spirit of 1776 on February 5, 2008 at 12:08 AM

The more you speak..the more I want to do that Brit accent JUST for you. :)

Articles like this are hardly concrete fact that things are this bad. Just one girl’s viewpoint.

But with that said, many women bring this sort of thing on themselves, by spending a good bit of their early adulthood being drunken tarts. Men do to women what women allow them to do…simple as that. If men expect women to put out, it is because women have done just that.

tickleddragon on February 5, 2008 at 11:58 AM

Sow-reap.

[/thread]

spmat on February 5, 2008 at 12:26 PM

The British raise a generation or two of a socialist government constantly harping about hiw men aren’t needed in life and then act surprised when they have little out there other than the man-boys?

I have an ex. We simply married too young, but still get along today. Good friends still. One of the problems we ran into was she wasn’t happy I couldn’t be the push-over beta male when she wanted it and the alpha-male when she wanted. took us both awhile the problem wasn’t my refusing to be ny one other than me, but her being bi-polar.

I’ve dated since then. I’m in my 40s so don’t date anyone younger than 35. I’ve met a few great gals and few complete losers. Generally have a date or two a month for the last 10 years. I’ve yet to meet any woman who didn’t approach the whole relationship with a sense of entitlement.

The expectation varies and some I’m willing to compromise on–others I’m not. Haven’t met the right match, but comfortable with the idea that I possibly won’t.

In my opinion, women tend to complain men are looking for the Perfect Woman and won’t commit while at the same time complaining there isn’t a Perfect Man out there for them so men suck.

Faith1 on February 6, 2008 at 8:39 AM