Hollywood values: Redacted is fine, but 24 has to be “reinvented”

posted at 10:39 am on February 4, 2008 by Bryan

It’s not just the demise of the Three Little Pigs in England that ought to wake us up. And threats to free speech and expression aren’t just under threat in France’s red zones. Look at what producers have considered doing to 24, the only show on American TV that dares to depict the US as good guys and terrorists as bad guys. Or dared to, before Fox caved to CAIR.

Come spring, the show’s writers and their Fox bosses began having informal telephone conversations about how to recover for next season. By the May 21 season finale, the audience had dropped to just over 11 million. Fox gave the writers carte blanche to “reimagine” the show. One of the team’s chief considerations was how to address the controversy surrounding Jack’s use of torture. Should Jack be feeling the guilt the media would have him feel?

On May 31, the show’s head writers went in for a meeting at the studio to present their first big idea: sending Jack to Africa. In various incarnations, Jack would begin the season digging ditches, building houses, tending to orphans, providing security for an embassy or escorting around a visiting dignitary. “One of the themes we discussed was penance, that Africa was a place Jack had gone to seek some kind of penance. Some sanctuary too, but also penance for things he’s done in his life,” Mr. Gordon says.

This was being considered for the most hard core anti-terrorist show on the most allegedly conservative-friendly network on TV. I know that 24 executive producer Joel Surnow reads Hot Air. Hollywood must be a very lonely place for him these days.

24′s producers ultimately scrapped the Africa penance plot line because, well, it’s unbelievably stupid, but where they ended up is not all that much better.

The new season would introduce a female character, someone like Jack but at an earlier point in her career. Jack’s made certain choices and is willing to pay the price, but this character’s soul is still in play. “We decided that Jack is Jack, and these questions [about torture] are more deftly handled through a character who hasn’t been defined yet,” Mr. Gordon says.

The writers decided to scrap the Counter Terrorist Unit, the government agency for which Jack worked for the first six seasons of the show. Instead Jack would go to Washington to address head-on the accusations that his tactics were out of line. He will make his case. He has nothing to apologize for.

“For five years, this was a wish fulfillment show,” Mr. Gordon said. “At the beginning, when everybody’s fear was more acute, people’s tolerance for violence, their own rage, seemed to make Jack’s tactics more acceptable. But in the wake of our own abuses in prosecuting this so-called War on Terror, we feel Jack is getting a bum rap. So instead of selling out the entire show and its history and its legacy and apologizing for it and ultimately invalidating it, we decided to defend it.”

By saying Jack has “nothing to apologize for,” they’re saying in essence “We’re sorry but we can’t just unwrite all those tough things he did in the so-called War on Terror and we can’t just send him off to Africa so we’ll have him defend them.” This will give the producers the chance to write speech after speech denouncing Bauer, the CTU and the real war, but mostly the real war, and invent maverick Republican senators and liberal Democrat senators and cast them as the real good guys. There will probably be a “you can’t handle the truth” moment, but only to give Jack the chance to bellow before the whole thing comes to some weak and unsatisfying ending. And read between the lines and that female character will be played by Janeane Garofalo, moonbat extraordinaire. 24 not only seems to be going very very far from the norms and ideas that fueled its early seasons, it seems to be morphing directly into Redacted lite.

Speaking of which, by the way, there has still been no reported Hollywood soul-searching over Redacted or any of the other anti-war troop-smearing films that have been released in the past couple of years. Depicting the troops as rapists and war criminals is evidently fine with Hollywood; depicting a strong and ongoing response to terrorism, not so much.

As long as this attitude remains prevalent in Hollywood, long live the writers strike.

Comments

I miss my shows! The Office especially. Oh and 24.

Heroes and Lost suck

CABE on February 4, 2008 at 10:45 AM

Fox: “CAIR” and “balanced”

Laserlawyer on February 4, 2008 at 10:47 AM

Honestly, I miss nothing. I find I have so much more free time since the strike started. If they never reach a deal, I’m pretty sure I’ll be okay.

(although I am a little sick of the election coverage at this point)

mjk on February 4, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Did I miss an exit and get off the turnpike in Hell? I know they scrapped the idea, but the fact it was even considered is a nightmare.

amerpundit on February 4, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Et tu, FOX?

Gartrip on February 4, 2008 at 10:48 AM

This is why I gave up on The Unit. Too many speeches where either the good guys or the ‘real’ bad guys (cabal of government bureaucrats and contractors) are preaching about how the ‘Lefties’ cannot protect America and how its up to us to make the hard decisions.

BohicaTwentyTwo on February 4, 2008 at 10:50 AM

Indeed it’s not… I saw a Scrubs rerun on Comedy Central the other day, and before Dr. Cox went on one of his famous rants (this time at Elliot), he started out saying “I swear to Allah…”, or that’s what his LIPS said. It was a horrible dubbing of the audio “I swear to Aisha…”

A quick search revealed that I wasn’t the first one to catch this. Rusty (Jawa Report) had actually blogged it a while back. Except he mentioned that Cox was ranting at JD, so either it happened more than once, or Rusty just made a mistake.

Anyway, let’s get to the really important issue… According to Wikipedia, I’ve got about 2, maybe 3 episodes of Prison Break left before the writers strike catches up to me. I was psyched that the show came back on a couple of weeks ago, but I suspect it’s because they had filmed these episodes already. Now the strike has dragged on and I’m screwed! Best show ever, and if this strike doesn’t get resolves it’s going to be a depressing next few months.

RightWinged on February 4, 2008 at 10:50 AM

I loved 24 – but last year, it became so weird that it was hard to watch at times. Sometimes it seemed that the writers were trying to go in 2 different directions – one that was FOR tough prosecution of terrorists and others who were Michael Mooring the entire issue.

Dr. Gecko on February 4, 2008 at 10:52 AM

24 is a great show, and I’m very disappointed with the change. Gerafalo is a joke, and in fact a comedian, right? Yeah, that’s what 24 needs, a washed up comedian, who did a radio show on air america.

Vanbasten on February 4, 2008 at 10:52 AM

Idiots. I stopped watching because I want to see story lines about the fight against islamic terrorism in this country. They failed to deliver. And Garofalo in any role is offensive. Unless, she portrays an anti-US terrorist. I think she would be quite believable as one.

Blake on February 4, 2008 at 10:52 AM

24 was the only series worth watching in the wasteland of TV.
I have an idea; put Jack on American Idol, let the mean guy (Simon?) belittle him, then film the ensuing carnage.
Let me have my fantasies.

JoeAvg on February 4, 2008 at 10:54 AM

Well, let ‘em. This is the free market, they’re free to screw it up.

No one likes “conflicted” characters unless they’re conflicted over whether or not they should get up and turn the tv on or continue searching for the remote.

Just like all those smears bombed, this will, too, once people realize what’s up.

amkun on February 4, 2008 at 10:57 AM

It really is time for conservatives to close ranks. I cannot abide the Republican party shifting left. We need a leader to carry the standard to make speech after speech for the cause of conservativism. Not simply preaching to the choir, but making the case to the general public.

Theworldisnotenough on February 4, 2008 at 10:58 AM

We’re all democratic capitalists now, or didn’t you get the memo? It went out with George, Sr.’s New World Order speech and has been the reigning ideology since. I think I have a copy somewhere. You might not recognize it because you’re caught in the middle of it.

Drum on February 4, 2008 at 11:01 AM

RightWinged on February 4, 2008 at 10:50 AM

I loved Prison Break, too, but the decision to do 3 seasons ruined it for me. I liked the plot twists but by the end of Season 2 I was to the “eh whatever” point.

amkun on February 4, 2008 at 11:01 AM

How about this: Jack works part time in a San Francisco artique shop. He volunteers for Amnesty International during the day and spends his nights working at a vegetarion soup kitchen for transexual illegal aliens undocumented refugee seekers. Then, one fine day, he’s attending a Jew Hater Anti-Israeli Occupation march with his older, bi-sexual, Code Pink girlfriend when an evangelical terrorist group screaming “Allahu Akbar” “In the Name of Christ” blows up an S&M supply store. In the mayhem Jack’s girlfriend is crushed by a giant Bushitler float.

Tramatized, Jack hunts down the evangelical terrorists and tickles them into revealing the true villain behind their attack: old, white oil and drug company executives allied with a cabal of Cardinals and rabbis. Jack reads them their rights and hands them over to the Internation Court of Justice in the Hague.

As the credits roll Jack is last seen strolling through Amersterdam, hand-in-hand with his Moroccan boyfriend. The End.

Vote Sauron 08 on February 4, 2008 at 11:03 AM

“…so-called ‘War on Terror’”? WTF?

Joel Surnow needs to fire this jackass, Gordon.

MikeZero on February 4, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Vote Sauron 08 on February 4, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Nice!

Any way to work Global Warming in there?

trubble on February 4, 2008 at 11:05 AM

Did anyone catch the sneak peak of 24 sometime in the fall? There was one line about global warming. I had suspicions. Now it seems my fears were correct. Oh, well. It was good while it lasted.

Sensei Ern on February 4, 2008 at 11:07 AM

aside from being mental midgets…..the one filmmaker they never mention but they are bound to know all about: Theo Van Gough

Capitulate and Accomadate….pathetic

jp on February 4, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Theworldisnotenough on February 4, 2008 at 10:58 AM

huh? off topic much?

Smiles on February 4, 2008 at 11:10 AM

If you’re amember of Hollywood’s “creative class,” it’s much easier to blame Bush for your sinking ratings than to blame yourselves for not having a coherent overall story arc when you went into production and winging it as you went along.

Alienating a key bloc of the viewers you have left doesn’t seem like the solution to me, but I don’t work in Hollywood.

Karl on February 4, 2008 at 11:11 AM

No Bryan, you’re wrong and Hollywood is right! Jack should have gone to Africa.

However, his pennance should have been kicking the $%*^ out of the mujahideen there.

BKennedy on February 4, 2008 at 11:12 AM

You never know. Ohh there could be this long storyline about this new agent. Then at the en of the season, you find out the new agent is really working with terrorists and a traitor. It’s the part Janeane Garofalo was born to play.

LordDaMan on February 4, 2008 at 11:12 AM

I love 24. I think last year saw lower ratings because it just wasn’t as well written- yes it can be that simple. To grab at a diversion such as the torture is what lowered ratings is idiotic liberal think. Go back to what made it such a hit in the first place. If they decide to go this PC route…well… I guess that will be the end of 24 and it will be as popular as all those PC films that lost all that money. Not a tough choice producer.

uskorea on February 4, 2008 at 11:14 AM

Anyone see the ads for Hollywood’s latest anti-war agitprop, “Stop Loss”?

Bile-inducing.

Vyce on February 4, 2008 at 11:14 AM

(although I am a little sick of the election coverage at this point)

mjk on February 4, 2008 at 10:48 AM

You should just get rid of the TV like I have. It gives me much more time to contribute inane comments to HotAir.

thuja on February 4, 2008 at 11:17 AM

Sauron 08-

LOL!

Dead on, bro. Dead on!

But it has to be a:

Bi-sexual Moroccan boyfriend.

To leave room for the next season’s twist.

The boyfriend will be blackmailed by American Mormons trying to evangelize in the peaceful Muslim center of neighboring Rotterdam, and they intolerant Christian bullies threaten to expose the boyfriend’s gayness …which might earn him the mild rebuke of the imam of his mosque.

Jack intervenes, and debates the imam, using Hadiths that support the notion that, when threatened, all behavior by a Muslim is Koranically legitimate.

And, as he and the imam hug, Jack converts to Islam.

The Mormons are deported. The bi-guy and Jack marry the same four women.

Then the spin-off-

New Series: BIG MUZ-LOVE.

profitsbeard on February 4, 2008 at 11:20 AM

I’ve never seen “24,” but I’ve taken some comfort in the return of John McLane and John Rambo to the big screen.

I can’t wait until the Thompson administration, during which Arnold will return to fight Al Qaeda in True Lies 2.

saint kansas on February 4, 2008 at 11:21 AM

Dear Mr. Surnow- Climate change and Garuffalo will get you zip. Don’t turn your back on your loyal viewers. You will not have to wait till sweeps month to find out you’ve lost your audience.

8straight on February 4, 2008 at 11:22 AM

Gerafalo is a joke, and in fact a comedian, right?
Vanbasten on February 4, 2008 at 10:52 AM

Yes on the first, not so much on the second. In fact she is a lame hack posing as a comedian.

24 is the only show I’ve watched on Fox in years, looks like TiVo can forget about the entire network now…

clghitis on February 4, 2008 at 11:23 AM

Anyone see the ads for Hollywood’s latest anti-war agitprop, “Stop Loss”?
Bile-inducing.
Vyce on February 4, 2008 at 11:14 AM

I like the line in the trailer where he says, “I just want the Army to honor my contract.” Well, you should try reading your contract again because Stop Loss is in there.

/proudly wearing my IRR involuntary reassignment and Stop Lossed T-shirt

BohicaTwentyTwo on February 4, 2008 at 11:24 AM

I never watched 24… But I read the weekly recaps over at Dave Barry’s blog religiously. The Amazing Steve would always do a better job recapping the nights events than the show itself did… according to all of the regulars who did both.

Bonus: The Amazing Steve continues the story in the off-season!

In any case, I don’t care how badly they ruin the actual show… following the complaints at Barry’s place will be all that much more fun.

In the meantime, Edgar is still dead.

Mr Michael on February 4, 2008 at 11:25 AM

well just go an S*** in my corn flakes.

The only way that moonbat Janeane Garofalo should be on 24 is with Jack beating a confession out of her terrorist loving a$$

Thank goodness i still have Mitch Rapp to fight the terrorist with out being ham strung by the Hollywood moonbats.

Mojack420 on February 4, 2008 at 11:32 AM

’24′ used to be a good show but I was among the masses who bailed on it last year when it became apparent they would not put the correct face on the enemy. It sounds like I won’t even give them a chance this year.
Too bad. The show started out really good but everything else Hollywood they now feel the need to tell me how evil I am while head choppers continue to kill innocent people, Britney can’t get her act together and Wesley Snipes can get by with out paying taxes. But hey who am I to judge.
To borrow a phrase often used here, Stay classy Hollywood!

Just A Grunt on February 4, 2008 at 11:37 AM

24 jumped the shark the season before last, with the EVIL NEOCON WAR FOR OIL president that so transparently was supposed to represent Bush. Still, I watched it. I stopped last season. The episode where that guy gets his arm sawed off then wanders off and collapses under the bridge? Come on, enough is enough.

The way to deal with 24 going liberal is not to watch it.

rightwingprof on February 4, 2008 at 11:38 AM

Any way to work Global Warming in there?

trubble on February 4, 2008 at 11:05 AM

Sure. The secret cabal of villains (Big Oil, Big Pharm, Cardinals, and rabbis) are being duped by the real super-villain, a white, hetro, red-neck Lex Luther figure who WANTS global warming Climate Change to raise sea levels so he can make a fortune out of future beach-front property on the coasts of Tennessee and Kentucky. Turns out that Climate Change is actually a terra-engineering plot to enrich religious zealots and inbred hicks in landlocked Blue States by flooding the peace-loving, tolerant, free-love coastal Red States. Cue sinister music.

As the credits roll, we see that Red Neck Lex Luther has a sister-cousin-wife (from the inbreeding) who is plotting for next season with a new group of villain, Danish Cartoonists. Cue extremely sinister music.

Vote Sauron 08 on February 4, 2008 at 11:44 AM

Mojack420 on February 4, 2008 at 11:32 AM

I LIKE IT!

Frozen Tex on February 4, 2008 at 11:44 AM

24 stunk last season and wasn’t all that great the one before. Now with Garafalo involved, methinks I shall not be watching at all this season.

robblefarian on February 4, 2008 at 11:45 AM

He’s not turning his back… he’s just “reaching across the aisle.”

saint kansas on February 4, 2008 at 11:48 AM

someone like Jack but at an earlier point in her career

Isn’t Garafolo older than Keifer?

Reading this, I’m glad there is a writers’ strike (up till now I was upset that the show was postponed). Now I see it as a God send, with no writers they cannot proceed with their plans to destroy the only show I couldn’t miss since Magnum PI. Here’s hoping that the strike lasts ad infinitum, yes it means the series ends on last season’s low note but better that than complete self-destruction.

Note to Joel Surnow and Fox: Last season lost viewers because it was riddled with ADD. There was no set and clear bad guy, one minute it was that guy from The Nativity Story, then it was the bald terrorist, then it was Jack’s brother, then it was his dad (that whole line should’ve been scrapped before it was even written), then it was that Russian guy from the Val Kilmer movie, then it was the Chinese, then it was Jack’s dad again, then it was Chinese again and it ended with Sec. Hellar being a total tool.

The western is pretty much dead as a genre because the line between the good and evil was blurred (thank-you Clint Eastwood) and audiences didn’t want to pull for the least bad of the bad guys. Now 24 is going to blur those same lines in the War on Terror (no quotes)? The show is doomed.

Now, this is more that I’ve written in one post and I’m embarrassed that it’s about something as frivolous as a TV show. But I’ll submit because I spent the time writing.

srhoades on February 4, 2008 at 11:50 AM

The thing with some of these shows is that they don’t know when to give it up. Sure it’s a big hit and been a great show, but now they’re starting to have weird plot lines and stories that seem totally out of sync with what the show has been in the past as the producers try to ‘re-invent’ the show. Fans start to lose interest because the things that attracted us to the show has been lost. Sometimes it’s better just to end the show on a high point, rather than compromise it’s integrity.

Luckedout on February 4, 2008 at 11:51 AM

I thought they were trying to make him Nixon. Either way.

srhoades on February 4, 2008 at 11:55 AM

Have Jack join Code Pink. For his penance he can volunteer to be water-boarded in front of the home of every CAIR member in the US.
For the season finale, have Ibish do a cameo, and as they pour water on Jack’s face, have Ibish bend over,(real caring like)touch Jack on the shoulder, and in a soft voice whisper “who is your daddy?”

RMR on February 4, 2008 at 12:04 PM

I love the writers in my bookcase much more than those on the television.

I have to thank the idgits in Hollywood for going on strike and helping me find something worthwhile already in my home – Heinlein, Rand, Brooks, Tolkien, Jordon, Jefferson, Herbert, Frost, Hemingway, Asimov, Marcus Aurelius, Tacitus, and Cicero.

Thank you Hollywood for reminding me I don’t have to live in your world.

I am much happier now.

jcrue on February 4, 2008 at 12:04 PM

I hope the writer’s strike goes on for a few more years. Seriously.

“Supernatural” had one of the heroes talking to a demon about hell and the demon mentioned Dick Cheney. One political jab destroyed the demon character and the episode. Great, the guys are fighting demons that are intimidated by Dick Cheney. Scary…

My favourite comedy “Corner Gas”, now on WGN, is made in Canada and unaffected I believe. So this can continue on indefinitely.

Canadian Infidel on February 4, 2008 at 12:15 PM

I’ve never watched 24, but kept meaning to get the DVD’s and start from the beginning, since I’ve heard so many good things about it. Now I guess I won’t bother.

Dudley Smith on February 4, 2008 at 12:19 PM

Looks like “24″ will be dead to me. I already have enough problems with L&O’s crappy Muslim appeasement.

Connie on February 4, 2008 at 12:20 PM

The show has been on the decline for several seasons. Every time they refuse to put the correct face on the bad guys, tons of people just stopped watching. Every season opened with loyal viewers hoping for a good show only to be let down.

Now they want to take it even further to “save” the show. And they thought the viewership was bad last year! If they Implement such crap, it will be the final season. Frankly no one will miss it if they go out like that.

America1st on February 4, 2008 at 12:21 PM

I just saw the full theater trailer for “Harold and Kumar Go To Guantamino Bay” last night.

That’s not quite on the same level of despicable as “Redacted”, but it comes close, in my view. It’s definitely irresponsible. Of course there’s the now obligatory digs at President Bush with his ever popular actor stand in. But that’s not what really tees me off. They portray our intelligence operatives as complete morons. Of course, Guantamino Bay is a place full of inept bumbling tools. And of course, none of the prisoners deserve to be there. They’ll probably complete the cowardice cycle by showing no Muslims in the movie. Every single one of those prisoners will be just some average joe who happened to look Middle Eastern. These film producers just don’t give a damn that they’re also smearing the good men and women of the FBI and CIA, and the troops who have to stand watch in full body gear and 100+ degree weather at Guantamino.

Like “Redacted”, this film will be shown around the world, and will smear this administration and, by extension, our nation. We’re the bad guys. We’re discriminatory and hateful towards anyone Middle Eastern. We lock innocent people up for no reason. It’s our fault the world hates us. In a way, it’s more damaging than “Redacted”. That film was so obviously biased and over the top that it would at least give the sense to anyone who cared to investigate the real stories of Iraq that it was not true. With “Harold and Kumar”, you have anti-Americanism disquised in the Trojan Horse of a comedy movie. And unlike “Redacted”, domestic audiences will go to see this movie.

As I’ve mentioned before, it sucks to be a conservative and try to be entertained nowadays. Liberals have to throw themselves on everything they do, and cannot just let their ideology take a back seat to entertaining people. South Park is the only television show I can trust to make fun of everybody equally (and even manage to be conservative at times). Meanwhile, Family Guy preaches about how we are not funding stem cell research, and swipes at Bush every chance it gets. (I’m glad that they at least had the decency to have Rush Limbaugh himself on as a cameo, and he was gracious enough to play along with the self parody. If they had made fun of him, like Simpsons has done before, that would have been it for me.)

And to think, I was really looking forward to the sequel to “White Castle”.

Damn you Hollywood.

Hawkins1701 on February 4, 2008 at 12:24 PM

I’d like to see Jack get an assistant that is really a trojan horse for the enemy, lets call him Hesham Islam, and he impresses Jack so much that Jack lets him handle all his work.

You could make it election time and have one of the potential Presidential Candidate have a secret Muslim lover who has a Rasputin like influence over everyone. To make it even weirder, you could have another presidential candidate the IS an actual Muslim who’s voice can mesmerize fools. You could have Jack trying to force democracy down the terrorists throats while his trojan horse assistant blows all Jacks budget on Ramadan gifts for the entire middle east….too unbelievable?

Seriously, why bother with the fast paced fantasy thats make believe and contrived when you already have a deadlier, slower paced tragedy unfolding around us all in 360′?

BL@KBIRD on February 4, 2008 at 12:25 PM

I had pretty much already gone through my 24 grieving process last year. It had lost its edge both from a pure entertainment perspective and from the perspective of too much superficially “deep” quasi-political navel gazing.

I accept that Islamic terrorists can’t be the bad guys on 24 all the time. It’s a bit much to expect and plus the Russians are pretty bad too (as we are increasingly seeing again). Also, the “conspiracy of dried-up mean old white guys in the military-industrial complex” thing has so long been a staple of shows like 24 that it would be hard to take that away from them entirely. On the other hand, there was a little bit too much of the “see, muslims can be our friends!” kind of thing last year that was pathetically obvious and cartoon-like and fundamentally patronizing of both the audience (of course, we know that not all muslims are extremist or terrorist or even terror-supporting, etc. etc. etc.) and the muslim community.

The things I liked about 24 in the glory days were:

a) its pace and lots of simultanelously evolving sub-plots, most of which were left hanging at the end of each show – the pace had come way off in the last couple of years and there seemed to be a tendency to want to make each episode a little more self-contained, each with a sort of a semi-ending and not the cliffhangers of the past.

b) the fact that it honestly explored the question as to whether torture or extreme persuasion might not actually, in some situations and under certain conditions, be morally required and not even morally conflicted – by doing this, it also suggests that utter ruthlessness in the defense of civilization from the forces of darkness is not only not bad but actually noble. God knows we could use more of that perspective these days.

c) liberals liked 24 because the ninnies thought it was a ringing condemnation of torture (or so they told themnselves).

Oh well. Nothing lasts forever – nothing good that is.

pussum207 on February 4, 2008 at 12:40 PM

the wake of our own abuses in prosecuting this so-called War on Terror

Gordon sounds like he ought to be McCain’s running mate…

I will NEVER watch 24 again.

Even though I’ve had a crush on Garafolo for a looooong time – absolutely stunning in her Che beret….

Siiiigh.

mksmithwriter on February 4, 2008 at 12:40 PM

Dudley Smith on February 4, 2008 at 12:19 PM

It’s really good in the first 3 seasons. In the fourth, it kind of goes off track, with a plotline that just has too many twists and turns and ends very anti-climactically. The 5th season recovers a bit, but the 6th season really goes down the tubes when they start vetting their scripts through CAIR, the ACLU, and every other organization that would tie our hands in fighting a war against terrorists. That’s where I got off, in mid-season, and by the looks of what’s being reported now, I won’t be watching a 7th.

thirteen28 on February 4, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Has anyone else ever noticed that prior to 9-11 Muslim terrorists could be identified as Muslim terrorists but after 9-11 when it really did happen that it is no longer permissible to identify Muslim terrorists as Muslim terrorists?

Executive Decision comes right to mind.

drjohn on February 4, 2008 at 12:47 PM

It was inevitable.

Socialist twinkies cannot write anything that Americans will watch.

But they have loads of political pull … so they infiltrate into successful shows like “24″, written by others, and pee in the soup.

And then they blame the previous writers choice of content for the show’s sudden failure.

Kristopher on February 4, 2008 at 12:51 PM

[/24]

Claire on February 4, 2008 at 12:51 PM

Sam Goldwyn:

“Pictures are for entertainment, messages should be delivered by Western Union.”

Kristopher on February 4, 2008 at 12:54 PM

People watch TV?

Coronagold on February 4, 2008 at 12:56 PM

I watch fewer and fewer TV shows and movies. When I see a TV show with a “message”, I turn it off and never watch again. I was sorely disappointed in a movie I rented (“Shooter”) that I watched last night – it had a few “messages” thrown in and I stopped watching after the 2nd one and will return the movie pronto.

reine.de.tout on February 4, 2008 at 12:57 PM

They should call it quits and go out while they had decent ratings rather than re-writing it to cave in to CAIR and have it die a ratings death.

Also, if you are so addicted to TV that you actually miss it during a writers strike or get all your news from it, then you need help.

gstrickler on February 4, 2008 at 1:03 PM

“…the only network we have that would even consider taking America’s side against the maniacs who want to destroy us puts its tail between its legs and whimpers. We are in deep trouble.

Joel, Mr. Surnow, Please don’t cave. This is too important. ( cant believe I said that about TV, but it’s true.)

shooter on February 4, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Jack goes back to take revenge on the Chicoms.

The pirates of the intellectual property/intelligence and security hacking/business infiltration world need some a$$-kicking.

Or would that annoy those behind Hollywood who are buying it up?

profitsbeard on February 4, 2008 at 1:10 PM

8straight on February 4, 2008 at 11:22 AM

Agree completely. Last year was disjointed and the brother/dad thing was horrible. Get back to basics. Jack and the USA good…terrorists(MUSLIM TERRORISTS) bad.

Write and we will watch. Keep Garoffolo and we wont.

labwrs on February 4, 2008 at 1:18 PM

I loved 24 – but last year, it became so weird that it was hard to watch at times. Sometimes it seemed that the writers were trying to go in 2 different directions -
Dr. Gecko on February 4, 2008 at 10:52 AM

I recorded the entire season of last year’s “24″, but have yet to watch the last few.
I haven’t seen the last 5 or 6 episodes, I’m afraid to watch them.
I just don’t want some islamafascist guy to become the hero, or the VP to end up as a “worse bad guy” than all of the terrorists combined…(which it’s leaning towards)
I can do better in my own mind… another JACK SAVES THE WORLD ending.
Anyone want to buy a partially used season of 24?

shooter on February 4, 2008 at 1:31 PM

Last season started off strong with the suitcase nuke detonating in the second hour. But it went down hill from there.

This is why 24 will continue to plummet in ratings: we don’t want the bad guys to be Americans. We want them to be the barbaric Islamist savages that they are in real life so that we can cheer like crazy when Jack mutilates their asses.

That’s it.

No helpful Muslim guys in detention camps that the writers are trying to force us to feel sorry for (nope, sorry, no sympathy here), no evil Halliburtonish overlords, no doofus Presidents (we want another studly President Palmer the First), and g-d preserve us – no ugly-ass Barfaolo. What patriot in their right mind would want to see her on their TV screen?!

Look, Surnow, it’s very simple: we want the bad guys to be really evil, and we want our Jack to be cold, ruthless, and driven to take the law into his own hands once again.

Then watch your ratings soar.

Redhead Infidel on February 4, 2008 at 1:33 PM

Sutherland should be embarassed even being involved in this show, but apparently he’s too drunk most of the time to even care anymore.

jewells45 on February 4, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Jack and Janeane discover that 9-11 was an inside job.

Dramatic quote: “This could be the first time that fire has ever melted steel”.

Cut to clock ticking.

danking70 on February 4, 2008 at 1:47 PM

Jack and Janeane discover that 9-11 was an inside job.

Dramatic quote: “This could be the first time that fire has ever melted steel”.

Cut to clock ticking.

danking70 on February 4, 2008 at 1:47 PM

The most amusing thing about the “fire has never melted steel” quote is that if her daughter ever gets into Pokemon Rosie will have to send a nasty letter to Nintendo of America and Gamefreak informing them that Fire attacks should not be super-effective against Steel pokemon.

hey nintendo
u lie 2 my daughter
fire iz not
super effective
vs steel

i demand u
change this immediately
~Ro

BKennedy on February 4, 2008 at 2:34 PM

I guess the Blogs4Bauer Writers’ Strike Substitute is going to be about the last bit of “24″ I’ll be viewing.

steveegg on February 4, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Jack and Janeane discover that 9-11 was an inside job.

Dramatic quote: “This could be the first time that fire has ever melted steel”.

Cut to clock ticking.

That’s really good!

drjohn on February 4, 2008 at 2:51 PM

Joel

There’s no need to be bigger every year. Slick and clever will do just fine. We don’t need Bauer to stop an asteroid. Maybe to stop the false plot that one will strike the Earth.

How about Jack finding proof that global warming is a con job set up to make some politicians wealthy?

Now that’s some kind of fiction, eh?

drjohn on February 4, 2008 at 3:03 PM

I can’t believe anyone watched this garbage. You could see the writing on the wall very early on. The fact that Rush was star struck with this group made me lose even more respect for him.

If you want to watch a grown up show go get “The Shield”. First season starts out rough, but the rest is solid gold. And this is coming from someone that loathes most of what is on T.V., which is why I no longer have cable.

ClassicCon on February 4, 2008 at 3:04 PM

dr.john, this is for you…

209 INT. F-14 FLIGHT LEADER – COCKPIT – DUSK 209
The Navigator is talking to his Pilot, his eyes intense.
NAVIGATOR
Bull, we can’t do this. Warning
them off is one thing… that’s a
civilian aircraft, full of
Americans.
PILOT
It’s a Presidential order, Spider,
there must be a damned good reason
for it.
NAVIGATOR
I sure hope to hell there is.
Jesus.
PILOT
Formation, this is Bulldog. I’m
assuming attack position, everyone
else back off and stand clear.
Climb to thirty-five thousand.

210 EXT. F-14′S – DUSK 210
As they peel off, three of the jets climb to higher
elevation while the lead jet falls in behind the 747.

112.
211 INT. AVIONICS ROOM – DUSK 211
Grant is tearing open an electrical panel, exposing a
sea of wires. He stares at the wires, wipes the sweat
from his eyes and makes a move.

212 INT. F-14 LEADER COCKPIT – DUSK 212
Now trailing two miles behind the 747. On the control
panel we see the heads-up display of the 747 as the
targeting sight swings into position and centers. A
SHRILL TONE is heard, indicating missile lock.
PILOT
Nav Com, this is Bulldog. I have
missile lock. Request final
confirmation of orders, over.
NAV COM (V.O.)
Bulldog, this is Nav Com. Proceed
as ordered.
PILOT
Roger, Nav Com. Stand by.

CLOSE ON PILOT’S HAND
as he flips the firing selector to missile. His finger
begins to close on the trigger…

CLOSE ON COCKPIT DISPLAY
the target center holding on the 747…
Suddenly, the navigation lights on the dark 747 flash on
and hold.
PILOT
The nav-lights just came on.
Suddenly the lights begin to flash, on and off, on and
off, in a steady sequence.

213 INT. AVIONICS ROOM – DUSK 213
Grant has cut the bundle of wires leading to the nav-
lights and is now touching them together, apart, together.

214 INT. COCKPIT F-14 LEADER – DUSK 214
The F-14 growing closer to the 747, the nav-lights still
flashing.
(CONTINUED)

113.
214 CONTINUED: 214
PILOT
Spider, is that what I think it
is?
NAVIGATOR
You damned right.

215 INT. PENTAGON – OPERATIONS CENTER – DUSK 215
Kaplan and the crisis team are staring at the overhead
screen, awaiting the word of the 747′s destruction. The
room is dead silent. A voice breaks in over the speakers,
startling them.

PILOT (V.O.)
(filtered)
Nav Com, this is Bulldog. We have
an unusual communication from the
target.
NAV COM (V.O.)
(filtered)
Bulldog, this is Nav Com. Specify
transmission. Over.
PILOT (V.O.)
(filtered)
Bulldog. Seems to be Morse code
coming from the navigation lights.
Message as follows: ‘Hail Mary…
Ten minutes.’ Message repeats.
Over.
Stunned, Kaplan drops into his seat.

PRESIDENT
They made it…
MAJOR-GENERAL
I’ll be a son-of-a-bitch.
DCI
But it’s too late. They’ve
already crossed the line, they’re
into U.S. airspace. With every
minute…
PRESIDENT
They made it this far, and by-God
I’m going to give them another ten
minutes. General, get on the
phone.
MAJOR-GENERAL
Yes, sir.

ttevolla on February 4, 2008 at 3:11 PM

Hey Joel- I’ve got a plot line for ya’. Borrow “The Unit” from CBS and have the Sargent Major “Snake Doctor” (President Palmer) come to the rescue of Jack. Who is being held hostage by Garuffalo and her global warming cronnies.

8straight on February 4, 2008 at 3:30 PM

For President Palmer to come back from a sniper shot to the neck is the same as Spock coming back to life from a Warp Core radiation bath.

ttevolla on February 4, 2008 at 4:05 PM

Well I watch too much TV anyway. Fox was never on our side. Joel Surmow managed to sneak in a good show under the radar because it was getting big ratings. But once FOX found out the viewers were conservative the show was over; female president, no terrorist, no torture, no ctu and Jack needing to square up with his feeeelings. Screw FOX and FOXNEWS for that matter. I’ll just watch all the old sci-fi stuff on the net.

Go MITT GO!

HotAirExpert on February 4, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Well, i guess i’m the only one that thinks “24″ has always been crap. Never could withstand more then 10 minutes of the stuff.
Now “The Unit”…that’s a great show!

madne0 on February 4, 2008 at 5:16 PM

NCIS & The Unit : two hours of pro military outside of the Military Channel…

ttevolla on February 4, 2008 at 6:18 PM