The disturbingly cool “Yes, We Can” video

posted at 8:02 pm on February 2, 2008 by Bryan

It’s not an official Obama campaign video. In fact, I don’t think the Obama campaign was involved at all. But it’s based on Sen. Barack Obama’s New Hampshire “Yes, We Can” speech, an address that just might wind up in the history books. The Black Eye Peas’ will.i.am wrote the song after hearing that speech, and the video looks like a Hollywood and music industry yearbook. The speech is uplifting, the song is perfectly matched and performed, the imagery set to accompany it is cast in black and white and gray to emphasize the divide that Obama plans to heal.

The clenched fist salute that accompanies the “Si, se puede!” chant is a bit divisive, though. It’s at 1:57 in.

sisepuede-salute002.png

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Obama = Demagogue.

trigon on February 2, 2008 at 9:59 PM

Tzetzes on February 2, 2008 at 9:45 PM

LMAO!

He’s get gonna get get get me drunk! Get me drunk! On his hump!

ronsfi on February 2, 2008 at 10:00 PM

Dang. Whoever made this is on the ball. Obama is setting out to build a tidalwave of young voters. Time for the sandbags.

Spirit of 1776 on February 2, 2008 at 10:01 PM

The Real Barrack Obama video:here

RightisRight on February 2, 2008 at 10:01 PM

Worse, he’s not just old. He’s old, angry, snide, ill-humored and thinks it’s all about his sagging white ass.

Obama would beat that geezer by 20 points.

paul006 on February 2, 2008 at 9:41 PM

If only his sagging ass was black or female. Damn.
Whites f-up everything.

JiangxiDad on February 2, 2008 at 10:02 PM

Spirit of 1776 on February 2, 2008 at 10:01 PM

Easy to beat. We just throw Vote Obama keg parties the night before the General E. They’ll never make it.

ronsfi on February 2, 2008 at 10:05 PM

ronsfi on February 2, 2008 at 10:05 PM

Heh. Maybe.

Spirit of 1776 on February 2, 2008 at 10:08 PM

Awesome.

malan89 on February 2, 2008 at 10:10 PM

If only his sagging ass was black or female. Damn.
Whites f-up everything.

JiangxiDad on February 2, 2008 at 10:02 PM

Dood? Sarc?

Hopefully yours.

ronsfi on February 2, 2008 at 10:10 PM

Yes, We Can?
What did the Nazis say, “Raise your arm if your sure”

RobCon on February 2, 2008 at 9:31 PM

Now that’s funny right there — I don’t care who you are…

SteveinTX on February 2, 2008 at 10:11 PM

ronsfi

yeah, guy was a douche for saying that.

JiangxiDad on February 2, 2008 at 10:12 PM

Yeah we’ll call it Hot Voters Gone Wild! at Vote Break 2008!

We Win!

ronsfi on February 2, 2008 at 10:12 PM

33% Hungover, 33% Can’t find their car, 33% In the POKEY! 1% Votes for Jobama!

ronsfi on February 2, 2008 at 10:15 PM

I strongly dislike Obama’s politics. I think he will take us on a path to socialism, and may be a socialist himself. However, the guy is a gifted speaker, very charismatic, and therefore is very scary to me if he makes it to the general election. I don’t know if he can be defeated.

So I am torn, as someone who will never vote for either Obama or Clinton, watching Obama take it to Clinton is gratifying, but I’m not sure if it is good for the country if Obama beats Hillary–because Hillary can be defeated. I’m not sure about Obama.

p40tiger on February 2, 2008 at 10:16 PM

I have to admit this gave me goose bumps and felt moving . . until I really started listening to the words, the empty words, words like change and hope, and even though the line “They’ve warned us about giving false hope – there has never been anything false about hope” is just that, a line. Like a man reading you poetry to get you into bed, this man is using greeting card platitudes and bumper sticker slogans to seduce america.

- The Cat

MirCat on February 2, 2008 at 10:18 PM

p40tiger on February 2, 2008 at 10:16 PM

My fear as well.

Obama is trying to stir a movement. He’s a good communicator and just might do it.

I’d rather we run against HC.

MsDollie on February 2, 2008 at 10:25 PM

A hispanic man, wearing a kaffiyeh and giving a black power salute. What’s disturbing about that?

aengus on February 2, 2008 at 10:28 PM

Hitler caused goosbumps and made women swoon. Were talking the Fartin’ Fuhrer. I am old to remember when Artists and Musicians were anti-establishment. Now they are the establishment. They are the leaders that influence the masses. Yet, they pose as rebels. America is retarded at this point. My opinion is that our Institutions are not able to adjust to the shattering pace of technological change. We have headlong into a new and unknown world for which our western tradition is not wholly equipped. Not on this scale. Reactive Creationism is perfect example. Our society has been shattered by high tech. Especially the internet. Never before has mankind been able to communicate in real time the world over. On the surface it may seem innocuous but it circumvents all the established conduits of approved opinion. That is a profound social shift. It’s much like the post war period in Europe. It’s like we live in a giant snow globe that has just been shaken. It’ll settle out but were in the sh14 now. It’s so exciting.

May you live in interesting times.

ronsfi on February 2, 2008 at 10:36 PM

aengus on February 2, 2008 at 10:28 PM

Hehehe!

He’s a rebel and he’ll never be any good!
hehe!

What a poser huh?

ronsfi on February 2, 2008 at 10:39 PM

That is a profound social shift. It’s much like the post war period between the two wars in Europe.

JiangxiDad on February 2, 2008 at 10:41 PM

aengus on February 2, 2008 at 10:28 PM

On closer inspection I think it’s a Gheyfiyeh.

ronsfi on February 2, 2008 at 10:43 PM

JiangxiDad on February 2, 2008 at 10:41 PM

I’ll buy that. Second 30 Years War then. Like Eugen Weber say’s.

ronsfi on February 2, 2008 at 10:45 PM

I am firing my editor.

ronsfi on February 2, 2008 at 10:47 PM

Obama “moves” people. How that translates into being qualified for the presidency, I’m not sure.

Metro on February 2, 2008 at 10:50 PM

ronsfi on February 2, 2008 at 10:45 PM

It’s not gonna end well. But I think you know that. Good night and good luck ronsfi.

JiangxiDad on February 2, 2008 at 10:54 PM

Were we fighting? I thought we were getting along! Dang. No ill will jangxi. Good night. Oh. and good luck.

ronsfi on February 2, 2008 at 10:56 PM

That guy almost makes me wish I was more liberal. Almost.

p0s3r on February 2, 2008 at 10:57 PM

ronsfi on February 2, 2008 at 10:56 PM

Meant the interesting times. You and I are cool.

JiangxiDad on February 2, 2008 at 11:07 PM

It is well done, but disturbing. I guess I’m past the age where I need or even want a politician to be a Messiah.

And I’m SICK TO DEATH of millionaire rock stars pouting at the camera as if they are oppressed or something. They are rich and famous and get anything they want, and they have the nerve to shove their radical power salute at us!

This nation will never be “healed” in the way they mean–we are arguing about politics because we care about this country and many of us will never be as cool as Obama, that’s true, but we keep this country going. So shut up, Hollywood and Music Moguls, we’re doing just fine.

PattyJ on February 3, 2008 at 12:08 AM

It’s pure nonsense. “Yes we can”? Well, Yes, We Can. Just not his way.

It’s like saying “Yes, we Can make Ice-Cubes! So turn on the god-damn oven!”.

I don’t care how charismatic he may be, his message blows.

c6gunner on February 3, 2008 at 12:27 AM

Yes, we can succeed in Iraq! Someone should remix the video with that message in there over and over. I tried to download the MPEG but I couldn’t do it.

He’s trying to whip up a “positive message” as opposed to the negative crap the Democrats have been peddling up until now. It’s emotionally powerful, but ultimately vacuous. Now that I’ve said that, an Obama supporter can have the upper hand by responding that I’m a “cynic”. I fear that Americans may be so hypnotized by Obama’s sexiness that they miss the vacuity.

dave_lantos on February 3, 2008 at 12:38 AM

I can’t watch the video for some reason, but I just assumed they meant the “Yes we can” response to Bob the Builder’s famous question, “Can we build it?” But maybe I spend too much time around the preschool crowd.

tikvah on February 3, 2008 at 12:43 AM

Yes, we can succeed in Iraq!

Yeah, I was thinking, where in the world were all these musicians and actors when we needed a positive message about the War on Terror (it doesn’t even have to be about Iraq). I can think of about one patriotic song after Sept. 11 and I really can’t think of an inspiring, patriotic movie made after Sept. 11. So Hollywood can make something inspiring and touching when it fits their political agenda. Hollywood you had a chance to show to America that have to some value after Sept. 11 and you have completely and utterly failed. You’re useless.

terryannonline on February 3, 2008 at 12:47 AM

Positively vacuous.

spmat on February 3, 2008 at 12:47 AM

Iraq will be the West Germany of the Middle East. It will be fine. We already have succeeded. Saddam is gone. That was the main problem. Seeing him hung was rectifying. They got to work it out. Things won’t be perfect. We got rid of the Hitler of the region. It can’t help but improve life for the people of Iraq.

ronsfi on February 3, 2008 at 1:12 AM

BOOOOOooooooooooooob the buill-derr
Can we fix it?
BOOOOOooooooooooooob the buill-derr
Yes we can!

Reaps on February 3, 2008 at 1:28 AM

OK. I watched it. I want change, healing of America and BIG TITS! Si Se Borracho I loco !

ronsfi on February 3, 2008 at 1:32 AM

OK, I watched it. Si Se Borracho I loco

ronsfi on February 3, 2008 at 1:33 AM

They are involeved with a moooovement. For what? What? What does he stand for? What teh hel?

ronsfi on February 3, 2008 at 1:35 AM

Obama = Empty slogans, higher taxes and an embolden enemy.
Go for the youth vote…..please. It has hurt every candidate that goes after it. Young minds full of mush don’t vote as most are too self-centered to stop what they are doing and actually go and vote, Besides, thanks to our public schools they won’t be able to read his name on the ballot.

Bubba Redneck on February 3, 2008 at 2:17 AM

Awesome video! Emailing this to all local TV news stations and radio talk show hosts.

Even though I disagree with Barack on so many issue I really like him, and his family.

olympian2008 on February 3, 2008 at 2:58 AM

When did our country become so bad that we have to “change” it. I disagree with the premise and I am disappointed that no one but Fred Thompson, “may he rest in peace” on the Conservative side has challenged this falsehood. Shame on these people and would they please go back to wherever they came from that was so much better than here.

2Tru2Tru on February 3, 2008 at 3:13 AM

I don’t care how charismatic he may be, his message blows.

You detected a message in there?

As far as I can tell, the message is that America is ‘broken’ (uh, really?) and that the whole world needs ‘healing’.

I bet you didn’t know that we are living in medieval squalor, did you.

Ken McCracken on February 3, 2008 at 4:41 AM

Si Se Borracho I loco

ronsfi on February 3, 2008 at 1:33 AM

Vamos a tener otra ronda de estúpido

Kini on February 3, 2008 at 4:47 AM

p40tiger on February 2, 2008 at 10:16 PM

I think Obama is an empty suit and that the way to defeat him is comedy. I can only point the way, though.

Kralizec on February 3, 2008 at 4:48 AM

Vamos a tener otra ronda de estúpido

Kini on February 3, 2008 at 4:47 AM

We’re going to have another round of stupidity?

Kralizec on February 3, 2008 at 4:49 AM

We’re going to have another round of stupidity?

Kralizec on February 3, 2008 at 4:49 AM

I can only dare to be so. Meaning I think the video, like so many other celeb rock star wannabe pee dittys, is a call to rock the vote… or to say, get the yout’s to vote.

A vote for an image without substance. Real issues that influence this country and the world are not being discussed by any candidates IMHO. I like your blogposts BTW;

So let’s have another round to drown our sorrows in the brilliance of political irreverence. /sarc

Kini on February 3, 2008 at 5:03 AM

ronsfi on February 3, 2008 at 1:35 AM

The only movement these lefties are capable of is a bowel movement, and that’s only because they start off completely full of the end product.

trubble on February 3, 2008 at 5:26 AM

Yes You Can! But You Won’t!

Teddy on February 3, 2008 at 6:04 AM

Si, se puede! The rallying cry for illegal immigrants. So, is We Clean Your Toilets! Both make me sick.

Blake on February 3, 2008 at 6:46 AM

When did our country become so bad that we have to “change” it… Shame on these people and would they please go back to wherever they came from that was so much better than here.

2Tru2Tru on February 3, 2008 at 3:13 AM

Anyone who doesn’t realize that America is out of sorts isn’t paying enough attention. Now, I am not saying that this still isn’t the best (if not one of the best) countries in the world; nor am I saying that BHO has the solution to all or even most of our problems… but there is something to be said for hope and national unity.

I am reminded of the story of Huo Yuanjia, marketed here as Jet Li’s Fearless. A country divided against intself has no hope of prosperity or even survival in a mostly hostile world.

The greatest accomplishment of JFK (think moon) or MLK (colorblind justice) or even Ronald Reagan (tear down this wall) is that they helped heal America through their communication of a unifying dream.

GWB was dealt a pat hand opportunity to transcend in a like manner but, let’s face it, his administration has scored a D+ in communication. Out of the remaining candidates for president only Mitt and Barack have any chance of rising to face the real challange this country faces.

I just pray we have a shot at least one of them in the general.

12thman on February 3, 2008 at 7:11 AM

shot [of] at least one of them…

12thman on February 3, 2008 at 7:13 AM

Can we call it a cult yet?

Kadnine on February 3, 2008 at 8:08 AM

He’ll tell them one an one makes THREEEEEE…EEEE, He’s the cult of personality.

tomas on February 3, 2008 at 8:16 AM

OBAMA isn’t going to do anything…He will be in a sweater asking you to sacrifice in year. Don’t fall victim to this lifetime Campaigner. Jesus…Watch Hoosiers to be inspired.

tomas on February 3, 2008 at 8:24 AM

Entertainment is a flood in “useful idiots.”

regal on February 3, 2008 at 8:46 AM

Why do I have the feeling that Obama could be reading the directions on a tube of toothpaste and these hammy “artists” would make a pretentious ballad out of it?

RobCon on February 3, 2008 at 8:47 AM

To all those Iraqi people, who put their trust in America, with purple fingers in the air, we say,
NO YOU CAN’T!

RobCon on February 3, 2008 at 8:51 AM

I think I’m getting old. The only person I recognized in that travesty was Obama. I suppose that most of those people are pop stars today? Am I right? Help me.
At least there was a guitar and actual music, instead of that rap sh*t that is trotted out as music today.
That last sentence may make my oldness official.

RWLA on February 3, 2008 at 9:20 AM

ronsfi on February 2, 2008 at 10:05 PM

One piece of advice; throw in some crack and ecstacy to complete the party. Or whatever the fashionable drug of the moment is.

RWLA on February 3, 2008 at 9:21 AM

That may be the longest four-minute video I’ve ever watched.

T E D I O U S

petefrt on February 3, 2008 at 9:40 AM

To young for Woodstock 1
To old for Woodstock 2

Aside for Lew Alcindor

Who are these people?

And why should I care?

patron881 on February 3, 2008 at 10:19 AM

… but there is something to be said for hope and national unity.

Hope for what?! What is so bad in this country that these rock stars and their fans are in some swoon of despair?

And unity? No, thank you. I want the American people engaged and thinking and acting, even arguing. There is no ideal state of being for a nation, and we have to correct our course when we are off. Like now.

PattyJ on February 3, 2008 at 11:04 AM

America……………….. bought for a song. :(

Shy Guy on February 3, 2008 at 12:01 PM

RWLA on February 3, 2008 at 9:21 AM

I think it’s huffing poop.

ronsfi on February 3, 2008 at 12:48 PM

but there is something to be said for hope and national unity.

Sure is, just ask the Russians

Wade on February 3, 2008 at 1:18 PM

PattyJ on February 3, 2008 at 11:04 AM
-and-
Wade on February 3, 2008 at 1:18 PM

Unity != group think or communism. Afterall, this is the United States of America.

I am just saying it would be nice to have that 9/12 mentality without having to go through a 9/11 to get there.

Whoever the new president is, I hope the entire country gets behind him/her. I just believe that there is a much higher likelyhood of that with Obama or Mitt.

12thman on February 3, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Who’s the guy with the fist speaking Spanish

I think it’s Adam Rodriguez from CSI Miami. I think I also recognized Hill Harper from CSI NY and Eric Balfour from 24.

alilianstrom on February 3, 2008 at 2:35 PM

Yes We Can…what? What can “we” do? Surrender in Iraq and Afghanistan, socialize medicine, trash the economy with silly leftist environmental fantasy laws?

No, we certainly cannot.

Jaibones on February 3, 2008 at 2:43 PM

I can’t believe that some people are relating Obama’s Yes We Can to Hitler’s Lets Kill the Jews…

On another note:
What I don’t understand is that Obama wants to make healthcare affordable, is that the same as socialized? And he want’s to cut taxes to people who make under 75,000 which is a lot of America, how is that liberal?

I’d be glad to admit I am wrong, but first I have to be enlightened about these two points.

PresidenToor on February 3, 2008 at 2:50 PM

No, you are right it not socialized health care. But what I believe I’ve conservatives argue that it still requires a large amount of government funding and can lead us to socialized medicine.

Perhaps. He’ll be raising taxes for everyone over $75,000 that’s not good.

terryannonline on February 3, 2008 at 3:05 PM

He’ll also be raising taxes on people who make less than $75K, if any of those people own stocks (and a lot of them do). Obama wants to raise the dividend tax from 15% to 30%. That will hurt business investment, which will hurt overall economic growth, which will hurt everybody.

AZCoyote on February 3, 2008 at 3:22 PM

Shallow posers.

John Cunningham on February 3, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Yawn… Yeah, Yeah, “Rock the Vote”, Yes we Can”.

Reminds me of a bunch of semi-sober losers that between rehab and bong hits thought, “It would be tight to make a video about that black guy, Osama err Obama”.

And by the way, did I see foreigners in there?

I say again… Yawn!

Claypigeon on February 3, 2008 at 7:01 PM

Sour grapes, every one of you who dismisses the impact of this video. If something like came up for a conservative cause, you all would be going ga-ga over it.

I can find no good reason except an irrational and jealous cynicism for anyone of any political or ideological persuasion to have any real issue with this. What in this video was overtly liberal? If it makes people feel good about being an American, about citizenship, about getting involved, about political activism in defense of a cause, about hope and change, what is so dang wrong with that?

I think those of you who have to pooh-pooh such an uplifting message and such an inspirational song are simply doing so because you fear the power that it represents and how it moves people. And you fear it ONLY because it moves people towards Obama, who happens to be a liberal. If it were moving people towards support of the war, or some other conservative cause, many of you would be loving it, too.

Even if Obama loses the primary, or even if he wins the Democratic nomination but loses the general election, what he has done in terms of inspiring people and raising pride in their civic engagement is a good thing in America.

JimmyHuck on February 3, 2008 at 8:33 PM

JimmyHuck on February 3, 2008 at 8:33 PM

You support Obama, of course you’re going to say that.

terryannonline on February 3, 2008 at 8:41 PM

We are the world….We are the children……

nursemorgan1 on February 3, 2008 at 10:39 PM

Sour grapes, every one of you who dismisses the impact of this video.

I think not… Ever consider that we have grown tired of a obligatory hip celebrities half-heartedly supporting a candidate, telling us to vote for the guy as if we need their advice or guidance? Yes young drunken drug addict celebrities, please tell me how to vote for I require your semi-sober half-witted opinion to guide me through this the voting process. I hear rehab gives a person shaman-like wisdom that we mere non-celebrities cannot achieve… I say again, *Yawwwn*

Moreover, this video mimics what Hollywood and the music industry has been vomiting for the last few years, trite tripe that has been recycled more times than Michael Jackson’s face. Bile!

Rock the vote!
Yes we can!
Three more Star Wars movies please!
How about a remake of Car 54 where are you? Oh wait they *puke* did that.

Claypigeon on February 4, 2008 at 12:38 AM

I guess I’m not paying close enough attention, what was the masters message this week? That is all bullshit and anyone who falls for it “hook, line and sinker” is a fish. Anyone who thinks Huessein can change the world with the power of his personality is a joke and better have someone taste his koolaide for him/her.

2Tru2Tru on February 4, 2008 at 4:46 AM

Claypigeon – Tired of “obligatory hip celebrities” doing their thing in support of a political message? Strange, that. When some country music star puts together some patriotic pro-war song, I don’t see conservatives claiming to be tired of obligatory hip celebrities inspiring people. And, yes, I appreciate it when such stars with conservative leanings inspire people, too. That inspiration is a good thing for America, no matter from which side of the ideological divide it originates. Ronald Reagan had a similar effect on people as does Obama, and it was one of Reagan’s greatest qualities. Any liberal who refuses to admit this is being dishonest as well as a sour grapes sour puss, too.

And if you think this “Yes We Can” video is telling you how to vote or for whom to vote, then you’ve missed the point. The message happens to come from an Obama speech, so give credit where credit is due, but it’s really the message of the speech that is the focus. You see, Claypigeon, you don’t like this “trite tripe” not because it is inspirational, but because it is associated with Obama. You refuse to recognize that what Obama is doing to re-energize what was an increasingly apathetic citizenry can be a good and healthy thing for our democracy and for America. Let me break it to you gently: Not everything that comes out of the mouth of a liberal is bad for this country. And if you insist on being so cynical and negative about this, then you will do nothing by your attitude except to reinforce the inspiration that this video encourages. You become nothing more than part of this dissonent chorus of cynics that can’t get beyond the narrow contraints of partisan ideology that tell us that we simply “can’t” share anything positive if we wear different partisan labels. Well, here’s the message and the answer: Yes We Can.

JimmyHuck on February 4, 2008 at 11:48 AM

I will give credit where credit is due. Yes, it was great speech.

terryannonline on February 4, 2008 at 12:42 PM

“… to emphasize the divide that Obama plans to heal.”

5.7.08: