Berkeley mayor to Marines: End the occupation of our city; Marines to Berkeley mayor: Get bent

posted at 3:13 pm on February 2, 2008 by Allahpundit

Having stayed the course in Ramadi and Fallujah, the Corps digs in for its next great challenge: Moldering hippies in search of the most righteous photo-op evah.

Berkeley Mayor Tom Bates offered Friday to help the U.S. Marines leave town by negotiating an end to the lease for their recruiting station, even as he backpedaled on a City Council resolution declaring the Corps “uninvited and unwelcome intruders” in the city.

In the face of an onslaught of pro-military criticism from around the country, Bates, a retired Army captain, also issued a statement that said the City Council’s resolution Tuesday night “did not adequately differentiate our respect and support for those serving in the armed forces and our opposition to the Iraq war policy.” He said he would ask the council to modify the resolution at its next meeting, scheduled for Feb. 12.

A Marines spokeswoman said Friday that the Corps has no intention of abandoning its space at 64 Shattuck Square that has been the subject of protests for months.

MM has the obligatory pics of morons in Gitmo garb taking their meaningless gestures very seriously indeed. As irritating as this crap is, is there any more efficient way (outside of the “Betray Us” ad) for an anti-war group to discredit its side? No wonder even Colbert’s writers have taken to mocking them. Too bad Super Tuesday’s coming up; this would have been primo material for O’Reilly and H&C this week.

Click the image and scroll down to the video to feel the spirit of the 60s. Can you feel it?

cp-berkeley.jpg

Comments

Pilamaye – “… the Army should request that the Department of Defense erase Bates’ record as an Army captain …”

But the hippies neeeeeed him because he has moral authoooority.

Funny how lefties can find one anti-military vet and claim that he speaks for ALL vets. The vast majority of active duty personel and damn near as many vets are in favor of liberating Iraq and Afghanistan. The people who we liberated are also in favor of their new found freedom, but that doesn’t mean anything to these drugged up leftovers from the 60s. We should make these morons live in N. Korea or Vietnam for a while, see if they still think communism is the way to go. Or perhaps Iran?

Tony737 on February 2, 2008 at 7:04 PM

How about the Marines (God bless them all) hand the protesters burquas and headrags?

Texas Nick 77 on February 2, 2008 at 7:15 PM

Maybe Master Mayor Bates will have a change of heart.

whitetop on February 2, 2008 at 7:16 PM

How long was that period of the ‘Baby Boomers’? and when will they be too old to go out without diapers…hopefully SOON!
from the link;

In a separate vote, the council supported the women’s peace group Code Pink by giving it a designated parking space in front of the recruiting station once a week for six months and a free sound permit for protesting once a week from noon to 4 p.m.

Womens peace group?
Diapers for the butt, the mouth, and the pen, is what’s needed in Berzerkley.

shooter on February 2, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Those moonbats are dressed in Abu Ghraib garb, not Gitmo garb.

O-Dub on February 2, 2008 at 7:22 PM

It’s times like these when I think back on the immortal words of Buffalo Springfield

What a field-day for the heat
A thousand people in the street
Singing songs and carrying signs
Mostly say, hooray for our side

It’s time we stop, hey, what’s that sound
Everybody look what’s going down

And now for the Truthers

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep

– The Cat

MirCat on February 2, 2008 at 7:29 PM

these people should be conservatives’ only enemies. not workingclass catholics fleeing disfuctional economies.

jummy on February 2, 2008 at 7:57 PM

Saw this on the Colby Files today and just … Wow. Berkeley has once again proven that it is perpetually stuck in a 60’s time warp. I have a few words to fire off to the city council that they aren’t going to like.

Ryan Gandy on February 2, 2008 at 8:03 PM

Mayor Master Bates was a captain, in what army?

countywolf on February 2, 2008 at 8:46 PM

I’m still pissed at berkeley for the whole SLA thing
“Death to the fascist insect that preys on the life of the people.”
Hate America in the 60s and you hate Amrica forever

Gwillie on February 2, 2008 at 10:20 PM

I say we (the Marines) take off and nuke the site from orbit, it’s the only way to be sure.

infidel4life on February 2, 2008 at 10:57 PM

Many people are absolute sheeple out of ignorance. Seems the people of Berkley like to pull the wool over their eyes willingly. Such a strange place. A fun place as I remember going there from time to time back when my ship was stationed at Alameda (before it was closed in 1997) but mainly I went there for a bite to eat or to catch a movie at a theater which were in walking distance from the BART station. Mel’s Diner, such awesome food. Also there was this pizza place close to the university called the Fat Slice I believe which was pretty good as I recall. Then again, as a 18-19 year old kid I was just happy to eat any kind of pizza most of the time.

Yakko77 on February 3, 2008 at 1:12 AM

And everybody thought smoking weed on a regular basis was harmless…..
Perhaps the Marines should reinforce their recruiting squad with, say, a couple hundred Marines in full battle dress walking up and down the streets of Berkley around City Hall. These morons will wet themselves dry and soil themselves empty!!!

Bubba Redneck on February 3, 2008 at 1:31 AM

BABY BOOMERS are still trying to destroy whats left of this country.

TroubledMonkey on February 3, 2008 at 2:04 AM

Baseball bats. Lots of people showing up at a Code Pink rally with baseball bats.

It might change their attitude or, at least, disperse them regarding the Marines.

BowHuntingTexas on February 3, 2008 at 2:12 AM

Just a reminder to everyone to call, email or fax tour comments to all the City of Berkeley Councilmembers. I am in the process of doing all three.

From some recent comments I have seen from Mayor Bates, it seems to be having an effect. Let’s keep it up and not let them off the hook.

I’d also be interested in any groups going to Berkeley to counter-protest. I’m located in Sacramento and a nice group of people getting together to bring refreshments, lunch, etc. to the Marines in the recruiting station might be a great idea. Maybe some nice hot coffee and if any of the Code Pinko loonies are blocking the entrance… well things can get spilled now can’t they, if we are trying to get inside the building?

tballard on February 3, 2008 at 3:33 AM

I’d like more protein in my diet. Bake the City Council into MREs and give them to me.

Kralizec on February 3, 2008 at 4:57 AM

Immature boomers still up their same old tricks. These demonstrative mental midgets have not grown up and never will. They have chemically altered their brain cells and body chemistry to the point not to know what is real and fortunately can not procreate.

In previous documentaries showing pictures of the event, the one that show the police standing around with their hands in their pockets and the motto on the car “Protecting & Serving Our Community” makes me wonder if they are in the right community. A city of anarchy does not need police.

MSGTAS on February 3, 2008 at 8:15 AM

MirCat on February 2, 2008 at 7:29 PM

And didn’t the Jefferson Airplane sing,

“War’s good business, so send your son,
But I’d rather have my country die for me“?”

Sad thing was, they meant exactly that.

oldleprechaun on February 3, 2008 at 11:52 AM

I’m in Iraq right now so I can’t be there in person to show my support for the Marines, but how about if the rest of you chain yourselves to the local Starbucks or unemployment office and not let anyone in? That’d hurt ’em a bit wouldn’t it?

JetBlast on February 3, 2008 at 12:41 PM

JetBlast on February 3, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Or the medical marijuana dispensary, LOL.

infidel4life on February 3, 2008 at 2:12 PM

I was stationed in Alameda for 3 years right before it got closed down. I think that a lot of this sh!t wouldn’t be happening if the military hadn’t completely left the Bay Area because if we were still there we would be parked in front of the recruiting office and the Code Pinkos wouldn’t be able to have their protests. That said, I’d love to drive an M-1 from Camp Pendleton, park it in front of the recruiting office, man it up at each protest and point the big gun and machine gun on the turret at them and fire blanks at them and watch them run. Woo Hoo and Ooooh Raaah!!!!!!

ic1redeye on February 3, 2008 at 2:17 PM