Note to Drudge: The “McCain almost left the GOP” story is 10 months old

posted at 9:16 am on February 1, 2008 by Allahpundit

And by that I don’t mean that we first learned the basic details 10 months ago. I mean the very story he’s linking to at the top of the report was published March 28, 2007; the dateline is right there in plain view in the article. I posted about it, red font and all, at the time. This is the second day in a row where he’s recycled some stale anti-McCain story but at least he tagged yesterday’s item with “Flashback.” Today’s is meant to convince the careless reader that this is a shocking. new. revelation. It is shocking, but it ain’t new.

And now, having said all that, you get to laugh at my expense by revisiting my old post and marveling at my prediction that “if it’s true, he’s finished.” Per Jack M’s account of cloakroom cloak and dagger, it does appear to be true. And yet he seems … less than finished.

Be sure to read to the end, too, as you’ll also want to laugh at my naivete in thinking Romney (and Rudy) might bring this up occasionally during the campaign.

Here’s the left’s latest tribute to Maverick, one part hysterical exaggeration of his “more wars” remark and one part sly insinuation that McCain is indeed, as the smears have always claimed, insane. Can’t wait to see how many of our commenters snicker along.

Comments

Gee, AP, thanks for proving the point of McCain critics. That’s exactly what the MSM is going to do to McFilthy, and they won’t even have to stoop to BDS levels to get to the truth of McCain’s Keating corruption, hatred of free speech and his detestable & volatile temperament out to the public.

ebrown2 on February 1, 2008 at 9:23 AM

Ha ha ha! Silly AP and his inability to tell the future. No more corporate trips to Delphi for you!

If the report on McCain’s bolting the GOP is true, and it’s only 10 months old, it’s relevant because he was running for President back then. If you want to run for Prez on a party ticket, and you want to bolt, it’s significant, especially now that he’s a frontrunner. Sure, it’s old news and it should have had FLASHBACK before it, but do people really want to vote for a guy who’s not serious about his party loyalties? What does that mean towards his ideology loyalties?

Hopefully Mitt will pick up on it and hammer him on it.

Nethicus on February 1, 2008 at 9:23 AM

Yes it’s old news…but worth reminding people of how far to the left McCain has moved.

Some people who comment on this site claim that McCain is a tried & true CONSERVATIVE Republican…OH REALLY?

PappaMac on February 1, 2008 at 9:24 AM

He ain’t my favorite – I mailed in my ballot for Romney. But, if he’s the nominee, I have to believe he would be stronger on foreign policy and terrorism than Hillary or Obama, and so I would pull the lever for McCain in November.

Otherwise, Iraq’s lost. Afghanistan’s lost. And we can expect the weakening of our defenses.

nailinmyeye on February 1, 2008 at 9:24 AM

Still relevant, no?

Spirit of 1776 on February 1, 2008 at 9:25 AM

Perhaps we’re assuming Drudge believes the story is new. He might know it’s not.

amerpundit on February 1, 2008 at 9:25 AM

Didn’t Drudge do the same thing with an old Huckabee story awhile back, as well?

Slublog on February 1, 2008 at 9:26 AM

Nah…. AP.. that video is classic leftist pacifist appeasment-palooza stuff. They’d all rather deny that Islamic terrorists are after us than face reality and admit we are in a struggle.

If there is one issue we conservatives DO trust McCain on it is foreign policy and the fight against Radical Islam.

Plus, that was a GREAT movie. Buck Turgison for VP !!!!

Always Right on February 1, 2008 at 9:26 AM

Ten Months?

The folks against Romney are bringing up stuff that is decades old.

This is signiicant in that the folks voting for McCain do not know what the are getting and the Liberal Media sure as hell aint gonna tell them.

EJDolbow on February 1, 2008 at 9:28 AM

Allahpundit is his own knave blogger.

Drudge posted the complete information. There is no deception, nor is Drudge being deceitful.

The point of reposting McCain’s trist is to remind people of that very significant historical event, repeatedly, so as to reach infrequent readers.

Recycling news is the business of the MSM. That the MSM fail to recycle this story is reason enough for Drudge to keep it readily available.

maverick muse on February 1, 2008 at 9:29 AM

Um, this makes me want to vote for him.

amkun on February 1, 2008 at 9:30 AM

That video, I mean.

amkun on February 1, 2008 at 9:30 AM

After Conservatives DEFEATED McCain the LAST TIME he spent 8 YEARS payin’ us back for it.

He is a very spiteful old man and he will stab Conservatives in the back EVERY CHANCE HE GETS for the next 4 years if elected.

A McCain Presidency will be a vendetta against conservatives- He may as well be a Dem.

Ex-tex on February 1, 2008 at 9:32 AM

This article talks about the old campaigning style of McCain in 2000 and what is going on in the race today:

What McCain Needs to Do Now – David Brooks, New York Times

bnelson44 on February 1, 2008 at 9:33 AM

AP: …you’ll also want to laugh at my naivete in thinking Romney (and Rudy) might bring this up occasionally during the campaign.

Um, why wasn’t this brought up more during the campaign?

CP on February 1, 2008 at 9:33 AM

Yes, it is indeed deceitful not to flag an old story as an old story. “Flashback: McCain almost left the party” is perfectly appropriate. “PAPER: Dem say McCain nearly abandoned GOP…” is not.

Allahpundit on February 1, 2008 at 9:33 AM

dredging[drudging?] up, and putting a new spin on old allegations is no new revelation for yellow journalism
——-
quite disturbing, really…

number9 on February 1, 2008 at 9:37 AM

You’ll also want to laugh at my naivete in thinking Romney (and Rudy) might bring this up occasionally during the campaign.

I was wondering about that myself. My guess is they couldn’t find anyone willing to go on record, and Romney not being a lying sob, didn’t run with it.

amkun on February 1, 2008 at 9:39 AM

Ex-tex

“John McCain is hateful. And he will NEVER make peace with Conservatives. He wants to stomp us out as badly as the Dems do.”

That’s putting it mildly. See below for how much he -really- cares about Vietnam vets with moral courage and integrity:

ebrown2 on February 1, 2008 at 9:40 AM

Always Right on February 1, 2008 at 9:26 AM

There is a steady flow of undocumented people from the ME coming in unchallenged across our borders. Some of them are terrorists. McCain wants to make them citizens because it is the humane thing to do.
Not all of us trust his foreign policy.

a capella on February 1, 2008 at 9:40 AM

Always Right on February 1, 2008 at 9:26 AM

Not exactly. Enhanced interrogation to keep us safe? Securing our borders from terrorists teaming up with drug runners? Those are issues of national security that I think you’ll agree McCain is sad on.

amerpundit on February 1, 2008 at 9:43 AM

Yes, yes, by all means AP is so much smarter and purer than the man who has become the most powerful influencer of what and how news is distributed. I loathe McCain, and yet the reminder of how he considered leaving the GOP was appreciated. I had forgotten. Also, I think McCain is like the disgruntled employee who quits… but doesn’t leave. They’re the worst kind. You’re still paying them, you think they’re on your side, but all the while they are sabotaging things and feeling justified in doing it because they REALLY hate their employer.

Sugar Land on February 1, 2008 at 9:43 AM

Whats wrong with bringing this up again???
I am glad he did. I missed this story first time around.
It’s more important now to get this out than ever!

JellyToast on February 1, 2008 at 9:43 AM

That the GOP officials are promoting McCain, completely aware of his self serving nature and destructive behavior to the GOP, is the story needing investigation.

The voters can surmise that the GOP is no longer the GOP. McCain did not need to leave the GOP in order to officially become an Independent because the GOP has become the RINOP.

Those aligning with McCain provide further evidence nullifying any effective distinction between RINO and Democrat politically. Bipartisan now infers a new uniparty implication.

maverick muse on February 1, 2008 at 9:44 AM

Still relevant, no?

Spirit of 1776 on February 1, 2008 at 9:25 AM

I think so, and I missed it the first time so the details were news to me

As for the video, not funny.

Buy Danish on February 1, 2008 at 9:45 AM

“You’re still paying them, you think they’re on your side, but all the while they are sabotaging things and feeling justified in doing it because they REALLY hate their employer.”

As for “really hating their employer,” Juan Hernandez says it all, baby.

ebrown2 on February 1, 2008 at 9:46 AM

I know. I wish those people in Bangor would just stay in Maine.

BacaDog on February 1, 2008 at 9:46 AM

It should be noted that while that story is 10 months old, the event it describes is from 2001. McCain almost left the party after his failed run for pres and when the Senate was perfectly balanced. He contemplated pulling a Jim Jeffords before Jeffords did – the ultimate Maverick move.

I thought this was disgusting and vindictive in 2001, but it’s not like he contemplated leaving the party while he was contemplating running for office this time.

Still, I think Romney could point it out. But Romney may not feel safe doing so with the charge of flip-flopper hanging over him, fairly or not.

TX Mom on February 1, 2008 at 9:46 AM

That the GOP officials are promoting McCain

maverick muse on February 1, 2008 at 9:44 AM

Better get use to it, by the end of next week, McCain is likely to be the leader of the Republican Party.

bnelson44 on February 1, 2008 at 9:47 AM

Scenario: Mitt wins the GOP nomination. McGrudge turns up as Hillary’s running mate. Regardless of who wins the WH in November, any Repub office-holder who endorsed him is booted out of office as soon as angry voters get a chance. Vengeance takes care of itself — without the two of them ever having to lift a finger.

RushBaby on February 1, 2008 at 9:48 AM

TX Mom on February 1, 2008 at 9:46 AM

I don’t see what McCain did as “flip flopping” so I don’t see the relevance there vis a vis Mitt.

I see it as a complete lack of loyalty to the party he wants to be the de facto head of, as well as yet another glimpse into how vindictive and bitter he can be.

Buy Danish on February 1, 2008 at 9:53 AM

Prediction: Rush, Michelle, Coulter, Drudge et al will fiercely attack McCain until July or August. And then the attacks will switch to Obama or Clinton, and McCain will get their support.

You have to protest while there are viable and (slightly) better options. But I think Coulter is bluffing when she says she’d support Clinton over McCain. That was 8% of Michelle’s poll as I recall, and I say most of those are just angry and are bluffing. Likewise many of the “stay home” people are bluffing or will be “turned” in the coming months.

I’d love to be proved wrong here and see the Right value integrity of principles over that little “R” after someone’s name. Make me proud, people. We can survive 4 or 8 years of a Democratic presidency. The world will not end, and terrorists won’t “win.” But the Right will be reinvigorated and we’ll have another chance to repeat 1994, but with principled leaders who will, as Michelle put it well, “undo” things in government.

Mark Jaquith on February 1, 2008 at 9:53 AM

So is the lie McCant told about Mitt and timetables,

twiggman on February 1, 2008 at 9:53 AM

The story wasn’t relevant 10 months ago because McNasty’s campaign looked like it was going to fail. Now, thanks to all the idiots telling us to shut up and rally around McCain, it’s time to revisit stuff like this lest buyers remorse sets in.

I’ll be clear here. McCain is utterly unfit for office and he certainly isn’t a conservative or a Republican. If he wants to run as a Democrat and a liberal, let him but I am sick and tired of all those who are telling me I have no choice but to shut up and support Juan. Stories like this may make the difference in letting the public know just exactly how nasty, mean and liberal Juan McCain actually is.

highhopes on February 1, 2008 at 9:53 AM

Here is the bottom line: whomever the republican nominee is we must not let the Obama/Clinton regime win the White House in November. Just a few things that are going to happen with a democratic WH and Congress:

Death by taxation.
Instilling gay marriage and agendas
Supreme Court justice appointments (x3)
Appeasement to the radical Islamists/illegal immigrants
Socialist Health Care
Taxes on energy to thwart fictional man-made global warming
Ending the War on Terror and cutting back the military
Reversal of Bush tax cuts

carbon_footprint on February 1, 2008 at 9:54 AM

Old news can become relevant and new again. Even an old movie review for Apocalypse Now can become extremely relevant news 25 years later.

Buddahpundit on February 1, 2008 at 9:56 AM

This story is news to lots of idiot Republicans considering voting for him.

Laura reported it today on her show.

It is time to pull out all the stops.

Valiant on February 1, 2008 at 9:56 AM

Don’t whine just because I momentarily halted the McCain-hate parade. I didn’t say I was smarted or purer. I said Drudge was being dishonest. Which he is. The fact that you can’t even acknowledge that lest it make for the tiniest point in McCain’s favor speaks volumes.

Allahpundit on February 1, 2008 at 10:02 AM

Buy Danish on February 1, 2008 at 9:53 AM

I agree, but I wonder if that is why Romney isn’t going after it. If the meme is that he is Johnny-come-lately to conservative ideals, then what right does he have to question McCain’s party loyalty? I’m not saying I agree with this analysis. I’m just suggesting it as a possiblity for blocking this line of attack, because otherwise it seems like a no-brainer to me.

Anyone who thought that it was right to give control of the Senate to the Democrats in a fit of temper because he didn’t win the White House, is not a stalwart conservative. He’s acting in a way that gets my two-year-old in trouble at my house. When she stomps her feet and yells at me, I send her to her room to calm down. Will it work if I say, “John, go to your room until you can come back with a happy face”? Yeah, I didn’t think so either.

TX Mom on February 1, 2008 at 10:05 AM

Who cares if it’s old news? It’s true and that’s what matters here. Is there some sort of AP approved statute of limitations of when or how articeles are posted on Drudge, or any website, for that matter? The guy has no loyalty to his party it it bears pointing out. Over and over if necessary.

roninacreage on February 1, 2008 at 10:09 AM

Ex-tex on February 1, 2008 at 9:32 AM

Emperor Palpatine

juanito on February 1, 2008 at 10:11 AM

Can’t wait to see how many of our commenters snicker along.

I did. It’s funny ’cause it’s true.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on February 1, 2008 at 10:12 AM

I know. I wish those people in Bangor would just stay in Maine.
BacaDog on February 1, 2008 at 9:46 AM

Hey now…

Slublog on February 1, 2008 at 10:12 AM

Remember the music video for Another Brick in the Wall by Pink Floyd?

That’s what the MSM McShills want. All of us mind numbed robots on conveyor belts in line for McLame being fed into the meat grinder.

roninacreage on February 1, 2008 at 10:14 AM

TX Mom on February 1, 2008 at 10:05 AM

Is it possible they were unaware of the details? Don’t know how far their research goes.

As for the Johnny-come-lately bit, I don’t see what becoming more and more conservative has to do with being a traitor to your party.

Buy Danish on February 1, 2008 at 10:14 AM

JayHaw Phrenzie on February 1, 2008 at 10:17 AM

Deceptive or not, I’m glad Drudge posted it. Most Republicans I know evidently have very short memories. McCain is only a national figure because of his willingness to abandon his party and ally himself with Democrats. He is a media whore who will betray his party, his President, and trash conservatism to get face time with Chris Matthews.
I remember.
And I will never forgive him.

edgehead on February 1, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Am I surprised? No. I only hope the Republicrats in New Hampshire, South Carolina and Florida are happy with the fact that they opened the road for someone who, but for the war, would be far happier as a ‘Rat.

steveegg on February 1, 2008 at 10:30 AM

People have short memories. This is why McCain appeared to be dead last August–too many people knew where he stood. All he needed to do was lie low in the weeds till he knew we were leaving….

Alma on February 1, 2008 at 10:30 AM

It’s a minor issue, AP.

I noted the old date, the first time Drudge posted it, and I thought, “Thanks Matt for posting it, that’s the first time I heard about it.”

So see…. bloggers do have influence.

I think in response to your little gut wrenching about it, Matt may be thinking, “Aaah… AP is just jealous that his little blog doesn’t make as much money as mine.”

But.. at least, now, you’ve gotten some more traffic hits out of making a big deal about it.

So cheers.. good for you.

……………[APPLAUSE]…………….

Mcguyver on February 1, 2008 at 10:33 AM

JayHaw Phrenzie on February 1, 2008 at 10:17 AM

Troy Rasmussen on February 1, 2008 at 10:35 AM

bloggers do have influence.
Mcguyver on February 1, 2008 at 10:33 AM

Yeah, but he’s not a blogger/pundit.
He’s a news guy.

SouthernDem on February 1, 2008 at 10:37 AM

Let’s see…I have four priorities that dictate my vote: nat’l defense/military, 2nd ammendment, immigration, taxes/spending. And I am required to ignore the fact that my ‘list’ has but one of them checked with regard to McCain and vote for him nevertheless to ‘support’ the (R) next to his name. Well, here in my house 25% does not ‘my’ candidate make. The problem is, there’s no one who does better than 50% so whom do I vote for? This primary/election season simply sucks for this conservative.

dustoffmom on February 1, 2008 at 10:39 AM

I’m not bluffing in any way. I know I have one little tiny vote. But,, because I so immensely dislike this man,, I will actively work to enlarge my little vote! I think I can enlarge my vote to at least 35 to 50 or more, maybe I can influence over 100 or more family and friends to NOT vote for this snake! Multiply that by God knows how many other people feel the same way as I do!
I really don’t think a lot of other people are bluffing! Voting for McCain will be like rewarding him for all the trouble he has caused!
Even if he selects a conservative VP,, it will mean little to nothing for me. He will get rid of the conservative VP once he is in office!
Does anyone honestly not think that once McCain is elected President, one of his first priorities will be to re-instate the Fairness Doctrine???
McCain will do it out of need and for the pure joy of pay back!! He will attack free speech on the internet and talk radio with a zeal!! Dems and RINO’s in congress will join hand in hand to stop all the “hatred and division” for the sake of our children!! Am I being paranoid??? This is the man that gave us McCain/Feigold!!! He didn’t just gIve us that bill,, HE CRUSADED FOR IT!!!
The Clinton’s didn’t crusade for this! He did!!
It was our Republican war hero conservative foot soldier working for Reagan “friend” that duct taped our mouths 30-60 days before an election!!!
Anyone thinking this man will be better than Hillary or a Dem is living in La La Land! You need to wake up and take your medications!! He owes conservative NOTHING!!! He cannot wait to shove the constitution down conservatives throats!!
That is not paranoia! It is harsh reality!
The best thing about Hillary or an Obama win will mean he will be out of congress!! America will be finished with him unless he is appointed to something by his good friend Hillary!

JellyToast on February 1, 2008 at 10:44 AM

So… tagging it “flashback” doesn’t cut it for you? Isn’t reminding people of the past actions of a “straight talker” relevant? Do you think people reading that initially thought Maverick was considering leaving the GOP last week? Of course it’s from a few years back, but its still extremely relevant. Maverick talks about his years and years of fighting for what he believes in… well… he apparently believed that the Democrats may have been better suited for him at one time. And please don’t say it’s not proven. If we’ve learned anything in the past few weeks, its that Maverick isn’t exactly big on “proof” that something is true before making it a mantra.
Hey, it’s a free country AP. Some of us resent McCain. You resent Rush and Drudge. Whatever.

Sugar Land on February 1, 2008 at 10:53 AM

But… McCain still “hates ‘gooks’”, right?

Spanglemaker on February 1, 2008 at 11:13 AM

So… tagging it “flashback” doesn’t cut it for you?

Drudge didn’t tag it “flashback”. Read the thread.

SouthernDem on February 1, 2008 at 11:14 AM

Matt Welch of Reason, as quoted at Captain’s Quarters:

But there’s a bizarre disconnect in the warm embrace between McCain and the electorate’s mavericks. They hate the Iraq war, while he’s willing to fight it for another century. The most pro-war presidential candidate in a decade is winning the 2008 GOP nomination thanks to the antiwar vote.

There’s much more at the link. Read it all.

Q: Will McCain be more or less electable in November if the Iraq situation stays relatively quiet? If that happens, then what if McCain is displaying the urge to expand the war, because quiet is boring to a CIC with itchy war fingers?

My opinion: The democrats win an election that’s based on the war on terror. The economy wins for the Republicans.

Bacchus on February 1, 2008 at 11:35 AM

So what.

TheBigOldDog on February 1, 2008 at 12:09 PM

I hate McCain as a presidential nominee BUT

His comments regarding staying in Iraq, at least as I haver read and listened to his words, focus on doing for Iraq what was done in Western Europe and South Korea. That should not bother people on the left or right, since it is to placement of US military where it will prevent future outbreaks.

doufree on February 1, 2008 at 12:12 PM

I will NEVER vote for McCain. Some of you alleged conservatives need to grow a pair. I’ll write in Ron Paul before I’ll vote McCain.

Metro on February 1, 2008 at 12:18 PM

McCain has no loyalty to the GOP. Look at when he tries to show some emotion.

He looks like a child who just learned how to use the toilet for the first time.

madmonkphotog on February 1, 2008 at 12:28 PM

Mitt was actually considering running as a Democrat before he flip flopped back and ran as a Republican.–JayHaw Phrenzie on February 1, 2008 at 10:17 AM

Evidence, please? Or should I just spout off my own idiotic comment like: John McCain was visited by aliens while in the POW camp.–Troy Rasmussen on February 1, 2008 at 10:35 AM

Though Mitt is RINO and his own populist opporunist, he has never and would never disavow tribal allegiance to any of his affiliates; family, church, GOP.

maverick muse on February 1, 2008 at 12:32 PM

You are correct. But, for some reason it is also the headline on Foxnews.com. I guess if the MSM is going to do everything BUT talk about McCain’s past. It is going to be up to talk radio and the blogs and Drudge.

I get the feeling that if the 527s had been able to organize faster and put out more info on McCain’s record the poll numbers would look completely different right now.

joncoltonis on February 1, 2008 at 12:54 PM

I read dozens of online newspapers and a couple hundred blogs every day. However, back in March 2007, I was in final settlement conferences on a civil suit (I won) and the problems I’ve had with my back had suddenly exploded into terrible spasms. I went thru about a 3 week period where I barely turned on my computer, so I missed this article on McCain when it first appeared. I’m glad it has resurfaced. I think it is a much more timely article now, then it was back then and needs to be highlighted any way we can.

Now if we could only get all you former Fredheads to get Fred to endorse Mitt … dreaming here, I guess.

Pal2Pal on February 1, 2008 at 1:38 PM

Hmmmm

The “McCain almost left the GOP” story is 10 months old

then…

Flashback: McCain’s immigration proposal is “reasonable,” “quite different” from amnesty, says … Mitt

The Romney story is over two years old.

CABE on February 1, 2008 at 6:47 PM

The story may be 10 months old, but true nonetheless!

ConservativePartyNow on February 2, 2008 at 9:11 AM