Michelle to McCain: It’s not too late

posted at 6:10 pm on January 31, 2008 by Allahpundit

A bit of wiggle room, although we already knew that. He can make this happen, all he has to do is (a) fire Juan Hernandez, (b) stop equivocating about his amnesty bill, and (c) demonstrate a commitment to border enforcement beyond “my bill is dead.” Show us that you get it and want it, and that you’re committed to not “getting things done” on this front if the “things” the Democratic Congress has in mind mean amnesty. Hillary-hatred has bought you a new line of credit, Maverick. But woe unto him who has to contend with Obama…

Comments

McCain would sell his mother to get votes…oh wait, he has?
McCain will say, like any politician, what he has to say to win…it the doing that seems to be so tough for a candidate.

right2bright on January 31, 2008 at 6:21 PM

As much as I love Michelle,

John Gibson is annoying.

CABE on January 31, 2008 at 6:23 PM

I wish the reasoning why conservatives might vote Dem had been cited. Let the socialists bring socialism, and not let it redefine the GOP.

laelaps on January 31, 2008 at 6:23 PM

Why not vote Libertarian or Constitution Party? If you aren’t voting Republican anyways, at least go for a conservative.

kc8ukw on January 31, 2008 at 6:25 PM

Time to start thinking about how to elect a conservative House or Senate. Juan McCain, Billary, or Hussein need an opposing force.

mred on January 31, 2008 at 6:29 PM

CTHULHU 2008

mad saint jack on January 31, 2008 at 6:29 PM

Before FL I heard that McCain will reach out to conservatives after Super Tuesday. Remember, he tried to reach out last year and had his hand slapped.

bnelson44 on January 31, 2008 at 6:30 PM

McCain and Mitt both have a reasonable shot at defeating Hillary, although McCain probably has more closet skeletons for the machine to dig up in the general. Gonna be tough sledding for either of them against the Messiah, and the conservative base just isn’t going to be there for John, without Hillary to hate. It is going to be awful.

a capella on January 31, 2008 at 6:32 PM

McCainez is too arrogant and has too much invested in the democratic party to listen to the conservative base. Plus, the hispanic lobbyists own him.

darwin on January 31, 2008 at 6:32 PM

mred on January 31, 2008 at 6:29 PM

Exactly … that’s realistic thinking. Juan, Hillarita, and Barakita are all the same.

darwin on January 31, 2008 at 6:33 PM

I really don’t want to have to vote for McCain, and I would to pull the lever for Mitt if I were a Republican. But, of all the major Presidential candidates from both parties, the only one who I ever heard actually call out our enemies as radical Islamists was McCain. That counts for a lot with me, despite McCain’s many imperfections.

NorthernCross on January 31, 2008 at 6:35 PM

Remember, he tried to reach out last year and had his hand slapped.

bnelson44 on January 31, 2008 at 6:30 PM

I know. He reached out so far he wanted the immigration bill rammed through without time for study or debate. I still don’t understand why we didn’t accept his extended olive branch.

a capella on January 31, 2008 at 6:35 PM

mad saint jack on January 31, 2008 at 6:29 PM

“Why vote for a lesser evil?” Pretty funny stuff. Once the nominations are set, the MSM will be painting the GOP candidate as CTHULHU-like anyway, so we may as well vote for the real thing.

Jens on January 31, 2008 at 6:36 PM

I like how the she laughs at Michelle’s poll results. Real Classy!

cowtipper on January 31, 2008 at 6:39 PM

Look, that laundry list of things McCain needs to do ain’t gonna happen. Don’t dangle the hope out there.

I am not going to jump on the McCain bandwagon.

Mitt Romney is there for conservatives and I am there for him.

Tim Pancoast on January 31, 2008 at 6:44 PM

McCain cannot win against Hillary….

Period.

That’s the feeling I get from my liberal friends.

The true libs are already quietly celebrating our demise because they see ole ‘Cain as our only option at this point…
…to which they under-their-breath snicker and say, “Aaaw he’s already too old.. and.. and…. the list goes on and on.

I mean… I’ve not seen them so starry eyed since Clinton was elected!

People… you have to trust me on this one.

My liberals friends’ sentiments have never betrayed me.

Say what you want about Dr. James Dobson’s influence… but do you remember him saying he cannot support ole ‘Cain because of his betrayals?

This has been displayed in our resident Huckabee fans, especially regarding the amnesty bill.
We need someone younger, more robust, knows more about the economy and doesn’t have a history of pissing off the base.

And then in addition we need a Ralph Nader spoiler (or two) in order to win the election whether it’s against Hillary, or Obama.

Mcguyver on January 31, 2008 at 6:44 PM

The poll didn’t have that as an option although it stood to reason that “stay home” incapsulated people who would vote third party or leave the presidential race blank. That was my answer and my reason for choosing it.

Mark Jaquith on January 31, 2008 at 6:45 PM

NorthernCross on January 31, 2008 at 6:35 PM

One of Mitt’s old ads said jihadis want to subdue the world under a radical caliphate. That’s pretty cool, too, don’t ya think?

HYTEAndy on January 31, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Should be caliphate, not caliphate

HYTEAndy on January 31, 2008 at 6:47 PM

Shouldn’t we help the KOS kids stop McCain??

They MUST know that he would BEAT Hillary or Obama.

The DEMs would have a MUCH better shot at the Whitehouse if they were opposing Mitt, right? So some of you young’uns git on over to Kos and git this party started!!

Ex-tex on January 31, 2008 at 6:51 PM

It’s not time to give up. People who give up so esily really aren’t committed to conservative principles. It’s a long time until the election. It provides the time conservatives need to really drive home our discontent with McCain and Romney over very specific issues such as illegal aliens, terrorism, the war in Iraq, the economy, the appointment of more conservative Supreme Court justices, etc.

Michelle is taking the right road on this (pun intended). She’s doing her homework. She’s defining the bones of contention she has with McCain. She’s found an outlet in which to present her case. She’s methodically and unmercifully driving home her points. That’s how a conservative deals with adversity.

Conservatives need to step back a little, take a deep breath, and then get back to work. For those who don’t have the backbone to continue then perhaps MoveOn.org is a good place to go to redefine their political ideals.

Larry L. Sharp on January 31, 2008 at 6:54 PM

McCain keeps saying he’ll get the border governors to “certify the fence” when it gets built. Shouldn’t the U.S. Border Patrol do that?

CP on January 31, 2008 at 6:55 PM

Hillary-hatred has bought you a new line of credit, Maverick.

No it hasn’t.

If he ran against Ahmadinnerjacket, I STILL wouldn’t vote for him.

Misha I on January 31, 2008 at 6:55 PM

McCain doesn’t have to beat Hillary or Obama… he might as well just buddy up and run as their whipping boy.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 31, 2008 at 6:55 PM

Can McCain get rid of his conservative VP after the election??
I just don’t trust this guy in the least.
Should McCain get this nomination, I expect he would choose a VP that seems or is conservative. Then, I would expect that same VP to put forth his resignation at some point within the first year or two due to an undisclosed illness or some other excuse or be pressured to resign due to a scandal.
He is not going to allow some conservative to come in after him and “fix” what he has worked so hard to destroy!

McCain is not trustworthy at all. He has shown he will ACTIVELY AND PASSIONATELY work against conservative causes. He hates conservatives. He cannot be trusted at all.
McCain is not just a liberal or just a RINO. He is beyond that. He is a CRUSADER for liberal issues and displays a hatred and contempt for conservatives and Christians.
I predict that, should McCain become president, re-enacting the so called Fairness Doctrine will become one of his top priorities! With glee he will attack free speech both on the internet and talk radio!

JellyToast on January 31, 2008 at 6:56 PM

That’s it. It’s official. The Fox News All Stars have said that the STE can’t be stopped. Mav/Graham ticket very, very soon.

THE CHOSEN ONE on January 31, 2008 at 6:57 PM

McVain is Bob Dole’s inferior clone.

And will end up in the same E.D. commmercials in 2009… once he loses to the faster, more cunning Dem opponents …who are now inflating his ego in order to burst it more easily in the campaign ….should enough suckers vote for him in the primaries.

He’s an unwitting, or half-witted stalking horse for the Dems.

Or it just a Dem-lite who thinks it’ll be nice to help out the party he agrees with, ideologically (amnesty for 20 million scofflaws, (no borders, higher taxes, weaker rules of engagement, close Gitmo, no waterboarding, lawyers and Constitutional rights for terrorists, ad nauseam) by undermining the Republicans.

profitsbeard on January 31, 2008 at 6:57 PM

certify the fence” when it gets built

Listen VERY carefully when McCain talks about the fence- HE IS NOT TALKING ABOUT A CONTINUOUS PHYSICAL BARRIER – He references “sensors” and virtual fences.

Ex-tex on January 31, 2008 at 6:58 PM

I can’t believe it’s come to this: Mexico’s senile butt-boy and Kennedy side-kick is about to run off with the Presidential nomination of the Party of Lincoln, Ike, Goldwater, and Reagan. All I can say is that I’m glad my grandfather isn’t alive to see this. He would hang his head in shame. I need a drink.

Gartrip on January 31, 2008 at 7:04 PM

you promise to secure the border eh .

well a great man use to say ” Trust but verify ”

And you Juan McLame have given me no reason to trust you and it is verified you are a open boarder amnesty pushing tool.

Mojack420 on January 31, 2008 at 7:05 PM

HYTEAndy on January 31, 2008 at 6:46 PM

I’d probably agree if I’d seen it. Like I said, I’d probably choose Mitt over McCain if it were up to me. Just sayin’ that I give McCain points for his willingness to call the enemy as they are.

NorthernCross on January 31, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Schwarzenneger says that “McCain reaches across the aisle…”
He fails to say the rest of the sentence, which is “…to screw over Conservatives time and time again.”

Mitt still has time. This isn’t over until next Tuesday. I’m hoping for a big week. Patriots go 19-0 and Mitt makes a great comeback!

cannonball on January 31, 2008 at 7:10 PM

I love ya Michelle, always have and still do, just remember the sky is not falling.

Chakra Hammer on January 31, 2008 at 7:11 PM

It’s too late.

He’s backstabbed too many republicans. Even if he did make these concessions (unlikely in the first place because he’s an arrogant cuss who thinks he doesn’t need the base) no one would believe him.

Now I vote even when there’s nothing on the ticket but dog catcher, but most need a reason to vote.

He can’t appeal to moderates because there aren’t any left! it’s a 50/50 nation right now and the only way to win is to turn out the base, and he turns the base off.

Prepare for a Dem landslide. We can’t win with McCain. I’m not sure Mitt could win either, but I know McCain can’t win. Period.

tlclark on January 31, 2008 at 7:16 PM

If conservatives are willing to endure 4 to 8 years of Obama or Hillary how can they say they have a problem with enduring 4 years of McCain ?

There are different levels of stuff to endure.

William Amos on January 31, 2008 at 7:19 PM

A rino is someone who would sit home or vote and allow Hillary to be come president.

William Amos on January 31, 2008 at 7:22 PM

It’s not a matter of enduring McCain.

McCain. Can’t. Win. Period.

He needs the base, he can’t get the base. He loses against Hillary by a few points, Obama would be a blow out.

Our only hope is that Hillary gets the nod and in the process so damages her own brand, that the blacks don’t show up. THEN and only then, he has a chance.

I’m not sure Mitt would do much better, but he would stand a better chance and we could vote for someone who wouldn’t piss in our cheerios every morning just for the helluva it.

tlclark on January 31, 2008 at 7:23 PM

Because Juan McCain will go to where no “conservative” has gone before and much faster to boot.

mred on January 31, 2008 at 7:23 PM

William Amos:

Because with McCain, we’d have to endure the humiliation of having to watch him erase the borders, grant universal amnesty, raise taxes, and further gut the first ammendment in our name. Sorry, I don’t play like that. I’d rather rather Hillary do it.

Gartrip on January 31, 2008 at 7:23 PM

A conservative accepts that the inside the beltway, Juan /Billary fix is in. Time to elect a conservative congress.

mred on January 31, 2008 at 7:27 PM

William Amos:

Gartrip on January 31, 2008 at 7:23 PM

So its open borders either way. Does it make a difference who does it ?

William Amos on January 31, 2008 at 7:30 PM

mred on January 31, 2008 at 7:27 PM

To that I wholeheartly agree. Lets stick some tough conservative lawmakers in washington to get in McCains face and tell him to shut up. Its the least we can do to reward him for his crap.

William Amos on January 31, 2008 at 7:31 PM

Show us that you get it and want it

And

It’s not too late

McCain isn’t going to do any such thing, he doesn’t have to.
For now he can cruise with the meme that he’s fooled at least half of Republican voters into thinking he’s an alright guy and until Mitt gains some traction or Huck quits (hah), it won’t change.
Its going to take some heavy duty conjuring to put Mitt in the lead.

Speakup on January 31, 2008 at 7:34 PM

William Amos on January 31, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Difference is that with Obama or Clinton, the GOP would more likely than not be in the control of Conservatives, particularly if Congressional leaders (Boehner, McConnell) would be calling the shots, not a defeated McCain (did Dole run the RNC between 1996-2000? Did Bush 41 run the RNC between 1992-1996?).

However, if McCain is elected, on issues where he leans decidedly Left wing, he’d have 90% of Congress on his side. The bulk of Dems would be with him anyway, and a good portion of GOP would hesitate to oppose their own party president (think Tom Delay’s support of ‘No Child Left Behind’, something which he admitted to Rush that he supported only because he didn’t want to oppose one of Bush’s first achievements, despite his own ideological opposition). As a result, such policies would steamroll through 2 branches of Government, and what’s worse – Conservatives would have nowhere to turn to.

On top of all that, at the party level, the entire party apparatus is then his – he nominates the RNC chair, and pretty much calls the shots not only in the White House, but also in the party. If he decides, as he has all these years, to not follow Conservative policies on various issues, be they Gitmo, Global Warming, Immigration, what have you, guess what? That would be the party position, regardless of what Conservatives think.

There’s your difference. Even with 4-8 years of the Dems, chances are that a slide to the Left can be arrested if the GOP gets a minimal majority in the house, and a Conservative 40+ minority in the Senate. That will not be the case if McCain is president: while some policies, like immigration, may still be stalled, the bulk of Liberal policies that he chooses to push through, which don’t have the Conservative intensity behind it that Immigration does, will go through virtually unopposed.

infidelpride on January 31, 2008 at 7:35 PM

I won’t stay home if McCain is the candidate, but I will not vote for him. The wife and I will do all we can with our 2 little votes to keep our conservatives in Congress.

KC-135A on January 31, 2008 at 7:36 PM

William Amos:
YES IT DOES. Listen to yourself. If someone is going to invite half of Mexico into this country, do you really want that person to be a Republican? McCain has ALREADY issued the invitation. Fortunately for us, there were enough grown-ups in the room to see what was happening and they tore up his nicely written invite. It’s hard enough trying to control one rogue Senator… it’s another thing entirely to control a sitting President. Personally, I’d prefer Hillary do it so that we actually have something to run on in 2012. If McCain does it, our party is dead for at least a generation.

Gartrip on January 31, 2008 at 7:37 PM

Hello?

McCain voted to CONFIRM BOTH Roberts AND Alito.

How “Liberal” is that?

Did Hillary or Obama vote the same way? Obviously not.

Of course, I will vote for McCain.

sanantonian on January 31, 2008 at 7:41 PM

I will point out some things. The US congress just changed hands little over a year ago. The Dems have some 1 term incumbents that are weak and can lose their seats in the House. Giving them a pass in November only allows them to strengthen their incumbency and make them harder to vote out.

Inn 2010 is another Census. Currently its expected that NY and other Northern states will lose house seats and Florida, and Arizn and Texas will gain them. Giving the dems the White House give them control of the 2010 Census and ability to count whomever they want in the census. If you think we benefit from allowing the dems to do that your crazy.

And I doubt McCain will either give reparations to blacks for slavery or give Felons the right to vote or banning wholesale of gun ownership. There is a clear choice still.

William Amos on January 31, 2008 at 7:43 PM

And just for the record… I agree with KC-135. I’ll not stay home, because my local conservatives (the real ones) need my help and my vote. But when I’m standing in that booth, I’ll be making the following decision: do I vote for Hill/Barack or do I leave it blank? “Do I pull for McCain” is not on the agenda. Sorry.

Gartrip on January 31, 2008 at 7:43 PM

If when everything is said and done it’s between McCain and Hillary or Obama, I will choose McCain. He may be a RINO, but I have more confidence in his willingness to stand strong against Islamism than in either of the Dem frontrunners.

NorthernCross on January 31, 2008 at 7:43 PM

NorthernCross

How does his opposition to Gitmo and ‘torture’ weaken ‘Islamism’ (different topic on how different that is from vanilla Islam, but that’s a topic for JihadWatch, not here), particularly when under his stand, the Jihadis would get Johnny Cochran like legal support on US territory, armed with all rights that citizens have?

Sure he’s strong on the WOT. My question – which side?

infidelpride on January 31, 2008 at 7:49 PM

Gartrip

Pull for Obama, but stay neutral between McCain & Hilary.

infidelpride on January 31, 2008 at 7:54 PM

Check the link provided and see a real conservative take a stand for an Evangelical Christian parent. This real conservative publicly supported a Christian parent who was arrested for protesting the homosexual agenda forced on his son in school. This real conservative did this well before the presidential election in a liberal state.
It is a shame that some of those same Christian conservatives cannot find it within themselves to take a stand for him!
Chick on the link and scroll down to the bottom. You will see the real conservative pictured there and see the stand he took.

JellyToast on January 31, 2008 at 7:55 PM

Northern Cross:
Islamism? Heh. How the heck is he going to “stand up” to the Mullahs and the Saudis when he can’t even stand up to the Mexicans? No. Juan Hernandez’s favorite prison b*tch doesn’t have the backbone to stand up to anyone except his fellow Republicans. Not in MY NAME, sir. Not in my name.

Gartrip on January 31, 2008 at 7:55 PM

I’d stay home if it comes to a McCain Republican ticket. I see no sense in choosing between two liberals. And as far as im concerned McCain is liberal, there is no wiggle room. If its McCain vs. Hill or Obama then you’ll find me in bed(sick).

I understand that Romney was just as liberal(holding liberal views/positions on many issues I feel are important) in the past but at least he fought to get my attention, and fought to get my vote. With Romney I can atleast tell myself(with some sense of confidence) he took those liberal positions to help him become more electable while running for governor as a republican.

Only recently has it seemed that McCain has even started looking towards the conservatives. Too long has McCain stuck up his nose to many conservatives and conservative positions. McCain may be a good matchup but he should run as and Independent not Republican. Even so im Registered Independent and I cant stand McCain if you havent noticed.

Sooner-Inde on January 31, 2008 at 8:04 PM

Finally!!!…….

Romney picks up a key endorsement…. ; )

The Ugly American on January 31, 2008 at 8:06 PM

NorthernCross

Sure he’s strong on the WOT. My question – which side?

infidelpride on January 31, 2008 at 7:49 PM

Frankly, I suspect that the whole argument over Gitmo is just subterfuge. The Al Qaeda bigwigs in our custody are being held elsewhere. Anyways, I think radical Islamists are a very small part of the larger threat to our country that is Islamism (to be distinguished from Islam).

Yes I know, he used the term “radical Islamists”, which only refers to the very small part I’m talking about. But the fact that he doesn’t shy away from the term tells me he’s significantly more resistant to being shackled by political correctness than the leading Dems. That’s important if we’re looking for a leader to rally the country against the creeping of dhimmitude into our culture.

NorthernCross on January 31, 2008 at 8:06 PM

stop equivocating about his amnesty bill,

And everything else. Juan McCain needs to use some of that “straight talk” stuff. He knows where conservatives are taking him to task and telling us that he never supported amnesty by legalistic arguments just isn’t going to cut it. Ditto his curtailment of Constitutional rights, support of gay marriage, and all the other ways that he is virtually indistinguisible with Clinton and Obama.

Can he do it? I seriously doubt it. Juan McCain is not wired for “straight talk.”

highhopes on January 31, 2008 at 8:09 PM

Northern Cross:

Gartrip on January 31, 2008 at 7:55 PM

In a very real sense, I think he is standing up to the Saudis, or more accurately put, their American proxies like CAIR, ISNA and MAS by pushing aside the dhimmi-approved buzzword “terrorists” and using the more correct term “Islamist”. Granted, it’s qualified use, but it’s still significant. And it puts him leagues ahead of Obama and Hillary, IMO.

I could be wrong, but I think McCain’s choice of words is worth noting.

NorthernCross on January 31, 2008 at 8:12 PM

Ugly American

Jackie Mason’s endorsement was a hoot!

infidelpride on January 31, 2008 at 8:16 PM

NorthernCross:
I appreciate your passion and your desire to find something good in this man. But you are hopelessly misguided and a bit delusional as well. You can vote for him if you like. I hope that you do, and I hope that you do it with a great deal of pride and confidence. I wish you well. My eyes are open to what he really stands for and to what he’ll do in office in my name. I’m making a different choice. Unfortunately for you and the Senator, millions of others are planning to join me.

Gartrip on January 31, 2008 at 8:16 PM

Gartrip on January 31, 2008 at 8:16 PM

I think you’re overstating things. No one in the current field makes me feel any “passion” or “pride”, and certainly not McCain. And you know, maybe in the end he isn’t all that. But what if you’re wrong? What if the difference between McCain and the Democratic nominee is the difference between defending the West’s culture and giving ground to the Islamists? Are you going to be OK with that, comfortable in the knowledge that even though we might be looking more like dhimmi Europe because of our choices, at least you’ve chosen your conservative values over a RINO?

I wouldn’t.

NorthernCross on January 31, 2008 at 8:33 PM

NorthernCross: Yes, one could argue that I’m a bit of a “moron”. I know you didn’t use that word, but I’ve heard it on other threads, so I got the message. Truth is, those of us who write on Hot Air, the ones who share my opinions, may very well be really big morons. I’m cool with that. What I’m not cool with is John McCain hijacking the party I love. The only power we have is the power of the ballot box. If I hold my nose and vote for him, I might keep Bill from returning to the scene of his crimes, but in the LONG RUN, McCain won’t see my disgust. He’ll only see my vote. He’ll use that vote as permission to destroy this country. I’m not going to sleep very well at night if I know I played a part in giving him that power. So, no. That’s it. Just no.

Gartrip on January 31, 2008 at 8:43 PM

I will not vote for Hillary or Obama no matter who they run against, so where does that leave me?

d1carter on January 31, 2008 at 8:59 PM

d1carter:

Where indeed? With me, I guess. In abstentia.

Gartrip on January 31, 2008 at 9:01 PM

Good points by Michelle, but on Obama she is wrong. Obama would not get 43% of the vote and either McCain or Romney would crush him and I am not one that thinks Romney would be a strong national candidate.

Obama it totally untouched. His ultra left wing history and current positions would render his candidacy a total loser. His functionally pro-Islamist and pro-surrender. His voting record is far left on almost all economic policy and his personal associations with the racists at CAIR and the Nation of Islam and his current racist church would have him running for verbal cover.

georgealbert on January 31, 2008 at 9:14 PM

I tell ya, if McCain would stay Presidential looking, he night have a shot.

johnnyU on January 31, 2008 at 9:23 PM

There are different levels of stuff to endure.

William Amos on January 31, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Because in 2 years we will no longer have to endure speaker Nancy and majority leader Harry – and once we have the congress back, we can thwart their liberal agenda.

It worked with Clinton, who got very little done for liberals in his last 6 years, and was even forced to swallow welfare reform, against everything liberal democrats stand for.

I’ll take my chances for 2 years.

thirteen28 on January 31, 2008 at 9:27 PM

No, no, NO…a thousand times NO.

Allahpundit, this position is what is sooooo wrong with the party today. Are we so pathetically desperate that all we ask of a candidate (i.e., Mr. Maverick) is that he consistently lie to us in the right manner?

No thanks.

seanrobins on January 31, 2008 at 9:29 PM

Considering the very high percentage of pro America citizens in this country, its absolutely amazing how easily the anti illegal citizenry are fooled by candidates who have no intention of enforcing article four, ensuring sovereignty or accomplishing any more than George Bush has.

Speakup on January 31, 2008 at 9:31 PM

Michelle to McCain: It’s not too late

Not too late?!

Try: The ship has sailed! Seriously. McCrankypants is not getting my vote; in fact, he’ll have to pry it “from my cold, dead fingers”…

PolitiNOOB on January 31, 2008 at 9:39 PM

Ann Coulter just said she would vote for Clinton over McCain. Amazing…

PoliticallyIncorrectSandy on January 31, 2008 at 9:39 PM

NorthernCross on January 31, 2008 at 7:43 PM

NorthernCross, if this is why you choose McCain you are mistaken. McCain is not willing to fight Islamism any more than George W is. All we get from McCain is the “Islam is a religion of peace” BS. I do apologize that I’m not offering evidence right now, as I’m finishing a project. You could google around and see what you find, if this is an issue for you.

thuja on January 31, 2008 at 9:41 PM

Ann Coulter just said she would vote for Clinton over McCain. Amazing…

PoliticallyIncorrectSandy on January 31, 2008 at 9:39 PM

Let’s get together a “NO” on McCain list:

Ann Coulter

Michelle Malkin … is that a MAYBE no?

Mark Levin … I think a probably definitely, what-are-you-kidding-me, NO

Rush Limbaugh … I think also probably NO, especially considering what he’s said of late, though he may never say one way or the other.

Anyone heard of anyone else committing not to vote for McCain?

seanrobins on January 31, 2008 at 9:50 PM

JellyToast on January 31, 2008 at 7:55 PM

Gays are a fact of life in the United States. Try to cope with it.

thuja on January 31, 2008 at 9:52 PM

McCain voted to CONFIRM BOTH Roberts AND Alito.
How “Liberal” is that?….
sanantonian on January 31, 2008 at 7:41 PM

And McCain has since said that Alito is TOO conservative to sit on the Supreme Court.
How “Liberal” is that?.

LegendHasIt on January 31, 2008 at 9:52 PM

There are different levels of stuff to endure.

William Amos on January 31, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Boy, you REALLY don’t get it, do you?

Not all things are equal.

Its one thing to have a goon like Hillary Clinton destroy you to your face…

Its another to have a gooney bird like John McCain, allegedly one of your own, stab you in the back.

Many of us have simply suffered too much of John McCain’s betrayal, especially since the 2000 election turned him into a really vengeful and twisted mega-RINO.

Thats why John McCain is less acceptable than even Hillary Clinton to many people.

What is hard to understand is the willingness of otherwise reasonable conservatives to simply bend over and accept the inevitability of the unacceptable:: in the name of the alleged lesser of two evils.

Where have the Republicans with principles gone?

seanrobins on January 31, 2008 at 9:58 PM

McCain voted to CONFIRM BOTH Roberts AND Alito.
How “Liberal” is that?….
sanantonian on January 31, 2008 at 7:41 PM
How “Liberal” is that?.

And let us not forget that those two confirmations came in the context of yet another of McCain’s betrayals: The Gang of Fourteen. Instead of fixing the judicial filibuster problem, mccain sold out conservatism and preserved the Democrats biggest weapon against a Republican president’s right to appoint judges.

seanrobins on January 31, 2008 at 10:00 PM

With all due respect, Michelle, I call BS.

Like many of us, if Hillary is on the ballot for the Dems, we’ll hold our damn nose and pull the (R) lever no matter who is on the ticket. Even McShamnesty.

I’ll hate myself, and probably feel like a whore, but I would hate myself worse if I felt I had any part in giving Hillary the power to put justices on the Supreme Court.

Sure, we’re screwed. But we could be screwed worse.

BacaDog on January 31, 2008 at 11:16 PM

Its one thing to have a goon like Hillary Clinton destroy you to your face…

Whoa! We’re really playing with fire here.

I’ll go ahead and take that back stab…but only if it is McCain/Clinton. If Obama gets in, I’ll just stay home.

Dorvillian on January 31, 2008 at 11:16 PM

thuja on January 31, 2008 at 9:41 PM

Even if I concede that you’re right that McCain is no better than Bush on the issue (and in truth, I don’t think it’s too much of a concession), I still think it’s leagues better than the Democratic alternative. The fact is that McCain has proven that he’s willing to call the enemy by their proper title, i.e. radical Islamists. That’s not to say that McCain is the perfect anti-Jihadist’s candidate for POTUS, because I don’t think he’s proven that yet. But it’s enough for me to say that if push were to come to shove and the choice will be between him and Hillary/Obama, then I’ll pick him. No contest.

Yes, odds are that he’ll show his RINO colors sell out conservatives on other issues, but how will the results on those issues be any different from the Dem’s nominee? OTOH, try to imagine how the struggle against dhimmitude in our country will look if either Hillary or Obama were President.

NorthernCross on January 31, 2008 at 11:24 PM

Whatever she says is fine. I have a policy of never disagreeing with a woman that hot.

whitetop on January 31, 2008 at 11:44 PM

Do any of you McCain supporters have the delusion that he would appoint anyone to the courts that wouldn’t be Souter Jr?

Why do you think he hates Alito? He won’t appoint ANYONE who would overturn his treasonous oath-breaking anti-free speech abortion, that’s for d@mn sure.

ebrown2 on February 1, 2008 at 12:28 AM

The other thing about Juan McCain that people are not remembering is in 2004 he flirted with the idea of being John “F”ing Kerry’s veep. There was no immediate denial, that lingered on for several days.

This man is not a conservative

Sweaty Deacon on February 1, 2008 at 2:18 AM

Doesn’t the whining RINOs realize that true conservatives are people of character? Why vote for a lily livered, whishy washy liberal like McCain, when you can have a true, dyed in the wool commie like Obama or Hill?

McCain must realize that he is never going into the White House and wants to make sure that the GOP is splintered.

The message will be clear: the Rocky Feller wing of the GOP must be cremated, even if we have communists for president for a decade or two.

saved on February 1, 2008 at 3:52 AM

I spent eight of my 22 years in the USN with a Clinton as president. Anybody that thinks a repeat of that is better than McCain needs to get a blood test to determine what halucinagenics they are on.

The primary focus and power of the presidency is foreign. His first job is Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces. Without security, the rest does not exist…

As to the border and internal, that power base and focus is the congress. If you want the laws changed and funding for border enforcement, target the house and senate candidates. Congress is the power for domestic, not the presidency…

DJ Elliott on February 1, 2008 at 7:05 AM

I heard someone at work mention something that as foul-mouthed as McCain has been known to be, so was Harry Truman.

I told this guy that while that may be true, the difference is that Harry Truman was an honest foul-mouthed man who also happened to be an honest man as well. McCain doesn’t have an honest vein in his body.

pilamaye on February 1, 2008 at 8:16 AM

The differences between McCain & Hillary arfe so slight it matters little who wins if those are our only choices. At that point it just makes sense to have a Dem in there so we can pin the blame on the bad guys.

Alden Pyle on February 1, 2008 at 8:32 AM

I’ve always thought if McCain would just admit he was wrong and that he learned his lesson, that the American people want a secure border first, then I would feel much better about voting for him, and he did say something to that effect. But then what the HELL was he thinking hiring Juan Hernandez???? Juan Hernandez has to go, he’s a slap in the face not only to conservatives but to the vast majority of Americans of all political persuasions who want our border to be secure and our laws respected.

Keli on February 1, 2008 at 8:39 AM

“Wiggle room”?? Considering how untrustworthy McCain is on damn near everything, any pledge he’d make about illegal aliens is worth ZERO.

If that fat-faced slimeball gets the GOP nomination, I’m staying home. It’ll be me & my Wii on Election Day; either that, or a write-in for Romney.

Spanglemaker on February 1, 2008 at 9:08 AM

DJ Elliott,

Do you agree with McCain that the SwiftVets were and are “dishonest and dishonorable?”

Do you enjoy his loving embrace of the New York Troopslimers? If so, feel free to be delusional about the likelihood of him “supporting the troops” if his MSM buddies give him a diss on the subject. Money, power and fame are more important to him than basic honor and integrity.

You can bank on it.

ebrown2 on February 1, 2008 at 9:33 AM

Michelle and all.

McCain talks the talk but does not understand where he is walking.

The immigration issue is a primary example. The majority of military (Guard and Reserves) being used in Iraq should be returned to the states from whence they came to protect the borders.

While another ugly fact was that the Demoncrats have pillaged this nations real military and the focus of our Federal Government should be on rebuilding the regular fighting forces to protect the country’s interests overseas.

Finally the nation must realize the functions of government have been eroded. The Federal Government has relinquished many of their responsibilities to the States and can not even protect us through reorganization of the government. The reason for this erosion is that politicians can not manage our money properly (they prefer to keep it for their pork projects for votes) and use unfunded mandates to make others comply and pay.

If there is not a change soon there will be a level of internal strife that will lead to greater riffs at home which will require us to abandon the rest of the world.

MSGTAS on February 1, 2008 at 10:16 AM

If the Maverick was serious about border enforcement he’d have voted against the appropriations bill last December that slashed funding for the fence. If McCain’s elected, better stock up on peptol bismol; we’re gonna get amnesty shoved down our throats.

Spitfire9 on February 1, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Michelle, I could just kiss you.

In a purely plutonic intellectual way, of course.

Lawrence on February 1, 2008 at 12:03 PM

What an intro… Michelle’s beautiful beaming smile is an attention grabber.
You know Gibson has(had) a great radio show (not sure if its still on though), he can git purdy funny in eviserating loony leftists.
Mitt has not lost yet… right? I ask that with the same shaky confidence asking “the Giants have not lost the Superbowl yet… right?”
Mcccain has gotten on my nerves since Elect2000, I cannot stand the thought of him even in the running… (amoung other examples)that stupidA** talking point “I am from a border state, I know how to secure the border”… myA**! with all evidence to the contrary, he still spews that hors*sh*t.
I can grudginly take a liberal shot to the jaw, but Mccain, trying to kill with a thousand cuts to my conservative back, I find it infuriating.
Any chance of a hold my nose vote went out the window, when Juan walked in the left bat-wing door of the Mcain saloon.

christophercube on February 1, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Many heartfelt thanks for Michelle’s admonishment to McAmnesty. I forget to go to her site and read her unless its linked to this site, (sorry!), so I want to reiterate that I am grateful, as many others are, to have Michelle speaking up for the conservative base.
I know that Michelle doesn’t expect McCain to do any such thing as ‘straight talk’ on immigration or any other issues that draws the hard line. Even if he said all those things we need so desperately to hear and swore on the Bible, he would never carry them out because he is the Rino-iest of the Rinos.
He is the perfect pawn of the globalist power-brokers who clearly have him in their Pocket. McAmnesty is a narcissist and a little Hitler who thinks he is and will be in charge. So…He won’t get rid of Juan, my friend, because he’s written into ‘the deal’ he has with these people. He won’t serve Americans because he can’t carry out the Will of The People while his soul belongs to George Soros and the rest of the gang.
Save America—vote Mitt.

Christine on February 1, 2008 at 1:21 PM

The only hope at this point is for Mitt to get enough delegates to throw this into the convention. If that happened we might still end up with a decent candidate.

duff65 on February 1, 2008 at 1:33 PM