Mark Levin nukes McCain, calls for conservatives to rally ’round Romney

posted at 2:27 pm on January 31, 2008 by Bryan

Ka-BOOM…

As for McCain “the straight-talker,” how can anyone explain his abrupt about-face on two of his signature issues: immigration and tax cuts? As everyone knows, McCain led the battle not once but twice against the border-security-first approach to illegal immigration as co-author of the McCain-Kennedy bill. He disparaged the motives of the millions of people who objected to his legislation. He fought all amendments that would limit the general amnesty provisions of the bill. This controversy raged for weeks. Only now he says he’s gotten the message. Yet, when asked last night if he would sign the McCain-Kennedy bill as president, he dissembles, arguing that it’s a hypothetical question. Last Sunday on Meet the Press, he said he would sign the bill. There’s nothing straight about this talk. Now, I understand that politicians tap dance during the course of a campaign, but this was a defining moment for McCain. And another defining moment was his very public opposition to the Bush tax cuts in 2001 and 2003. He was the media’s favorite Republican in opposition to Bush. At the time his primary reason for opposing the cuts was because they favored the rich (and, by the way, they did not). Now he says he opposed them because they weren’t accompanied by spending cuts. That’s simply not correct.

Even worse than denying his own record, McCain is flatly lying about Romney’s position on Iraq. As has been discussed for nearly a week now, Romney did not support a specific date to withdraw our forces from Iraq. The evidence is irrefutable. And it’s also irrefutable that McCain is abusing the English language (Romney’s statements) the way Bill Clinton did in front of a grand jury. The problem is that once called on it by everyone from the New York Times to me, he obstinately refuses to admit the truth. So, last night, he lied about it again. This isn’t open to interpretation. But it does give us a window into who he is.

Hard to argue with any of that. It’s more of a cry to defeat McCain than it is to elect Romney, but the end result of defeating McCain would be to elect Romney. That bothers some conservatives just as much as electing McCain, which is why we’re in the fix we’re in right now.

As for me, I understand conservative discomfort with Mitt Romney. I’ve gone through it so much in my head that I’ve come up with a name for it: The Romney Paradox. I’ve written a whole post that explains it in detail, maybe I’ll publish it tomorrow once it’s gelled a bit.

Briefly put, it’s the fact that because we don’t elect businessmen to the presidency, Romney wouldn’t be a viable candidate if he hadn’t been a governor, but because he tacked left in order to win his Massachusetts governorship, conservatives have a hard time believing in his sincerity now, even though he probably started off as more conservative and is certainly more conservative now than McCain. But people have a hard time working it all out, so they don’t bother and just decide that he isn’t trustworthy. I get that. I don’t agree with it, but I see where it comes from. I also think that as a businessman Romney has been absurdly successful and as a public servant he’s been a whale of a lot better than most. He fixes stuff, usually stuff that someone else’s incompetence or corruption broke. We have a few things in Washington that need fixing. McCain doesn’t strike me as the guy who can do that, and don’t get me started on the Democrats. They’re not part of the problem, they are the problem.

As for Romney, here’s a rallying point if you need one.

We need to stay in the house that Reagan built.

I think it’s do or die time for conservatives. Either we rally to Romney or we reconcile ourselves to McCain and all that that means. It’s one or the other. We have a few more days to make up our minds.

More: One of my bottom lines in life is that I prefer people who fix things to people who break things. Romney fixed the Olympics, he fixed Bain, etc. McCain broke the First Amendment and I don’t trust him to fix the border. He did, arguably, have a lead role in fixing the war though he’s exaggerating that. On balance, I don’t know of anything that Romney broke but I do know of one thing that McCain broke and one thing he won’t fix. Fwiw.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

fred5678 on January 31, 2008 at 8:11 PM
Fred5678: Unfortunately, you have been reeled in by the “Chosen One”. He/she/it does not have any interest in logical, thoughtful, respectful debate. Your post is excellent, too bad it will fall on deaf ears.

JDH on January 31, 2008 at 8:15 PM

Thanks – I realize the Chews On One is a non-rational being.
That was my first and last response to he/she. I have enjoyed the hilarious responses to chosen since his/her joining here.

My reply was for any novices who do not know of the details of Huck’s fake credentials.

Also tommylotto. He keeps regurgitating GENOCIDE! GENOCIDE! and ignores facts, also.

fred5678 on January 31, 2008 at 8:30 PM

I said:

I haven’t felt comfortable commenting at Hot Air since the immigration debate got so heated last spring, because I felt like people like me who were in the “middle” on the issue, who were seeing good points on both sides, were in essence being shouted down and wrongly viewed as “open borders zealots” and traitors to their country for not siding with those who were strongly opposed to the bill. Yeah, I know there was a lot of negative back and forth on both sides (and some of it, unfortunately, came from the administration) but the overwhelming majority of it came from the side who in the end won the battle. I’m certainly not opposed to getting bruised and scratched in order to defend my positions on the issues, but it came to a point where I didn’t feel my opinions – or the others in the minority who were expressing similar thoughts to mine – were welcomed (by other HA commenters), and it got incredibly frustrating for a while.

mksmithwriter wrote:

Shew! Say everything you wanted?

I think the McCaininistas have sent out their blog-troopers to try to brainwash the real conservatives…like McCain was brainwashed in Vietnam.

The Manchurian Candidate!

Yeah, I really sounded like a “McCaininista” even though I expressed my issues with him early on in what I wrote. Did you even read it? Do you have any comment on the substance of my argument, or is the best you can do accuse me of being unable to think for myself?

SisterToldjah on January 31, 2008 at 8:38 PM

I won’t have any difficulty at all not voting for McCain.

Should he be the so-called conservative candidate I will under no circumstances vote for him. I will enter the voting booth and vote for a conservative however.

I did the obedience thing with Ford, Bush, Dole, Bush, Bush

I will not vote for someone I believe is attempting to deconstruct my nation

I will not participate in killing my nation. It feels good to be free. So many election cycles I obeyed and gave my vote under threat to despicable frauds. No more.

I will not obey

It is my vote again. The threats don’t work when all the choices are rotten. It feels good. Now, for the first time, I can work towards rescuing my nation

I have regained my liberty. God Bless America

entagor on January 31, 2008 at 8:39 PM

Michael Reagan lowers the boom.

John McCain Hates Me

rockmom on January 31, 2008 at 8:41 PM

There are three men here tonight I am very proud to introduce. It was a year ago this coming February when this country had its spirits lifted as they have never been lifted in many years. This happened when planes began landing on American soil and in the Philippines, bringing back men who had lived with honor for many miserable years in North Vietnam prisons. Three of those men are here tonight, John McCain, Bill Lawrence and Ed Martin. It is an honor to be here tonight. I am proud that you asked me and I feel more than a little humble in the presence of this distinguished company.

–Ronald Reagan speech, addressing CPAC in 1974

bnelson44 on January 31, 2008 at 8:49 PM

SisterToldjah on January 31, 2008 at 8:38 PM

You’re not thinking for yourself. You’re just vacillating – supposedly – trying to find excuses for lacking the strength to stick to your so-called principles.

Personally, I think you’re a McCain blogger, a cadre of foot-soldiers sent out to confuse, disrupt, and convince the weak-minded to fall for a stinking load of crap.

Your arguments are too polished, to full of talking points.

Don’t you know, Jedi-mindtricks won’t work here.

mksmithwriter on January 31, 2008 at 8:56 PM

Michael Reagan lowers the boom.

Well that isn’t much of a surprise. Nancy on the left with Ronnie and Patti while Michael is on the same side as his late sister and the Gipper himself.

Juan McCain does hate conservatives. Now is the time to make it clear that he isn’t going to get us to “hold our noses” and vote for him in November.

highhopes on January 31, 2008 at 8:56 PM

McCain is a hater. He is a mean, nasty, vindictive SOB. The complete antitheses of Ronald Reagan and not fit to wipe Reagan’s boots.

rockmom on January 31, 2008 at 9:05 PM

Your arguments are too polished, to full of talking points.

Don’t you know, Jedi-mindtricks won’t work here.

mksmithwriter on January 31, 2008 at 8:56 PM

No, what doesn’t seem to “work here” – at least with you – is trying to have a discussion. Unfortunately, I’ve never been schooled in “Jedi-mindtricks” although at the moment I’m sort of wishing I was so I could maybe possibly get you to address the substance of my argument rather than attacking me personally.

SisterToldjah on January 31, 2008 at 9:07 PM

Romney just lied on Hannity & Colmes

He said during a debate that he doesn’t call McCain’s plan Amnesty, then on H&C he called McCain’s plan Amnesty..

Romney is in FULL Pander mode, he knows he is DONE..

Stick a fork in ‘um!

Chakra Hammer on January 31, 2008 at 9:11 PM

Romney’s cratering after all the endorsements that McCai just picked up, Rudy, Arnold, TX Gov. Rick Perry..

Chakra Hammer on January 31, 2008 at 9:13 PM

McCain & Rudy will be on Leno tonight..

Chakra Hammer on January 31, 2008 at 9:13 PM

Romney’s on H&C trying to explain Timetables he said Timetables with an “s” LOL

It sounds like he’s try to explain what the word “saw’ is again!

or Clinton trying to explain what the word “is”, “is” LOL

Chakra Hammer on January 31, 2008 at 9:15 PM

Chakra Hammer on January 31, 2008 at 9:13 PM

All staunch conservatives. You can judge an arrogant ass by the asses hanging with him.

Cold Steel on January 31, 2008 at 9:15 PM

Romney just lied on Hannity & Colmes

Romney is in FULL Pander mode, he knows he is DONE..

Stick a fork in ‘um!

Chakra Hammer on January 31, 2008 at 9:11 PM

Did Rudy tell you to type that?

JDH on January 31, 2008 at 9:17 PM

If the general is between either Democrat and McCain I’m staying home too. How is this guy winning when no one I know who’s Republican can stand him??? I can’t stand him!

CCRWM on January 31, 2008 at 9:18 PM

LOL!!!

Willard said McCain will say Anything to get elected POT MEET KETTLE!!

BWWWHAHHAAHAAA!!

I’m a lifelong hunter!!(not true)

I saw my father marching with MLK(not true)

I had the endorsement of the NRA!(not true)

Chakra Hammer on January 31, 2008 at 9:19 PM

Did Rudy tell you to type that?

JDH on January 31, 2008 at 9:17 PM

Nope, but if he told me to vote for Romney, I ask him if he was joking.

Chakra Hammer on January 31, 2008 at 9:20 PM

Chakra Hammer on January 31, 2008 at 9:19 PM

You forgot:
McCain’s going to win the election (not true).

Cold Steel on January 31, 2008 at 9:20 PM

Romney should get out now for the good of the party.

Chakra Hammer on January 31, 2008 at 9:24 PM

In John McCain’s eyes, conservatives are the Viet Cong of this generation and he treats us as such. It’s either his way or no way.

– Michael Reagan -

Girl, SisterToldjah, you’re points are all demonstrative of a surrender. Nothing personal. I despise wimps. You are in McCain’s camp, and Mr. Reagan said it best about McCain. You can’t be disagreed with – your only answer is to accuse me of not listening, of not discussing! You have nothing to offer but surrender.

Hell, I’ve already done that. I’m gonna sit back and watch us finish going down the drain. The Liberty experiment is over because people don’t have the courage and walk off their jobs, to protest, to pick up and arms and defend their rights, their freedom to be INDIVIDUALS and not a collective swab of germs!

Now, piss off.

mksmithwriter on January 31, 2008 at 9:24 PM

McCain’s going to win the election (not true).

Cold Steel on January 31, 2008 at 9:20 PM

Intrade Market Prices for Republican Presidential Nomination

McCain 83.5
Romney 12.0

Put your money where your mouth is.

Chakra Hammer on January 31, 2008 at 9:25 PM

McCain’s going to win the election (not true).

Cold Steel on January 31, 2008 at 9:20 PM

Intrade Market Prices for Republican Presidential Nomination

McCain 83.5
Romney 12.0

Put your money where your mouth is, Mitt’s cratering..

Chakra Hammer on January 31, 2008 at 9:26 PM

SisterToldjah on January 31, 2008 at 8:05 PM

______

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I went to your website and read your extended post as well as the previous post re: last night’s debate.

McCain was never my choice. Will I vote for him if he gets the nomination? I was trying to gather my strength to do so. McCain’s performance last night reminded me why he was never my choice.

And for anyone who chooses to label you without checking out your blog first, this quote is from your post re: last night’s debate….

If polls are any indication, it’s going to be an uphill battle for Romney in several Feb. 5 states, but one that hopefully he can overcome. That’s not an endorsement of him from me, BTW – it’s just me stating who’d I’d rather see win the Super Tuesday delegates. McCain is starting to feel a little too comfortable in the driver’s seat, and he needs to feel a little heat, because I think he’s taking being in the driver’s seat for granted, and acting like support from the base is “owed” to him rather than being earned. The senior Senator from AZ needs to understand that it doesn’t work that way.

LodeStar on January 31, 2008 at 9:27 PM

JellyToast on January 31, 2008 at 7:45 PM

Well jelly, you fixed me. Thanks. I guess. Some comments I found on the case you cited.

“Instead of running for School Committee to institute change through community channels, he chose to be an activist. He chose to be arrested. He chose to align himself with outside groups to obtain administrative, media, tactical, financial and legal support.

and

If the gay lobby can have activists, engage in civil disobedience, and align itself with outside groups to gain support, well, so can the opposing side.

I disagree with the latter, but it seems that many on our side have adopted an “if you can’t beat them, join them” approach. I don’t have a real problem with Mitt supporting the parent, but i’m sure he does not condone the illegal activity that landed Mr. Parker in jail.

Exit question, if you had to choose one, which would you pick? No more abortions or path to citizenship for some illegals after securing the border.

myamphibian on January 31, 2008 at 9:31 PM

Chakra Hammer on January 31, 2008 at 9:26 PM

I did contribute to my candidate. Juan will see nothing of my money. Good luck getting capital, Juan. Oh, wait, that’s right, the front runner is bleeding red. Sucks to bash $ Juan. Better scrounge up pesos. I hear lettuce picking pays well.

Cold Steel on January 31, 2008 at 9:34 PM

fred5678 on January 31, 2008 at 8:30 PM

I’m not ignoring the facts. You are obviously a Tancredoesque zealot. I know I will never convince you, but many here actual believe the nonsense of deportation by attrition meme, but have never really considered the actual consequences of such a policy. Your anecdotes of piecemeal enforcement only manages to shuffle them from one US community to another. Sure some will go home, but the vast majority will stay — they have to say. There is no life for them “back home.” Because there is no home. Their home is here.

Your plan might work over, say, 50 years, but you would have to be willing let the illegal population live in the shadows and a grey economy for that time period with all the societal security risks that that entails. Basically, you would have to wait for all the illegals to grow old here and die (to be buried in the US by their US citizen children of course).

The “you will just attract more” argument just does not impress me. Prior amnesties where not accompanied by any effort to secure the border. The border can be secured. It just requires the will and the money. Turn it into a military operation and they could shut the border in about three months.

Both McCain an Rudy both promised to secure the border before addressing those here now. Once the border is secure the options are:

1) Allow them to remain in the shadows until they die of old age
2) Coerce them to leave, send Mexico into chaos and collapse, killing hundreds of thousands, maybe millions
3) Cut some deal giving them some path to legitimize themselves here in the US

When I say deal, I’m not talkin’ about McCain’s prior plan. In my mind it would be considerably tougher and more punitive. They committed a crime and should be penalized. But just like we don’t hang people for spitting on the side walk, we don’t sentence millions to poverty and starvation and destroy the economy of our neighbor for border crossing — particularly when we practically invited them over in the first place. In my mind, it may not even need to be a road to citizenship. We can deny them citizenship forever as far as I’m concerned — but that would just deprive them of the right to vote and the duty to serve on a jury. But they are going to be permanent residence whether we like it or not. The question is going to be whether they are going to be legal residence or illegal residence of an unidentified and insecure nature.

tommylotto on January 31, 2008 at 9:36 PM

myamphibian on January 31, 2008 at 9:31 PM

If you strictly go by rule of law, you would have to argue that securing borders is the first choice. Currently, abortion is on the books and is legal. You can’t by fiat overturn it. It would require a constitutional amendment, or a supreme court decision. Securing the borders is a legal act supported by the constitution and by law.

Cold Steel on January 31, 2008 at 9:37 PM

Cold Steel on January 31, 2008 at 9:34 PM

Yea, he cannot BUY the election with his own fortune..

And he cannot count on special interest groups to run negative ads for him.. against willard..

Citizens United… Running Negative ads, such a uniting feeling.

Chakra Hammer on January 31, 2008 at 9:40 PM

Now I know how McCain can win in the General Election! I am listening to the Democratic debate. Frightening!!!

JDH on January 31, 2008 at 9:41 PM

Chakra Hammer on January 31, 2008 at 9:40 PM

Yeah cause Juan McHuckabbe never ran any push polls or shadow campaigns….never.

Cold Steel on January 31, 2008 at 9:42 PM

Chakra Hammer on January 31, 2008 at 9:40 PM

Someone running on his own merits with a positive campaign which illustrates success can unite. If you believe in merit and individual responsibility then you might be a conservative. If you are for Global Warming, for McCain Feingold, for McCain Kennedy, for the Keating 5, for class envy, then you are a progressive prostitute.

Cold Steel on January 31, 2008 at 9:46 PM

McCain has gotten at least 50 million dollars worth of free advertising from the fawning media in this campaign. Romney had to spend a fortune just to try to even the playing field. Hardly buying an election when the media are giving it to your opponent on a silver platter.

rockmom on January 31, 2008 at 9:51 PM

McShamnesty will mean the end of this country. 40 million illegals legalized and their family imported will mean Permanent Democratic Majority. Actually even one Hillary term will mean Permanent Democratic Majority. Never in the history of this country have Marxists been so close to power. Marxists never relinquish power voluntarily. McCain, Hillary, Obama, it’s all the same. 12 years from now or 4 years from now the country will end. There will be a period of “working for the common good” that will last for decades. Face reality. Those of us who denied that Fred couldn’t win couldn’t face reality. Learn to face it. It’s painful, but it’s better in the long run.

Igor R. on January 31, 2008 at 9:51 PM

Newt just admitted on Hannity that he voted for Reagan’s Amnesty bill. It was to allow in 300,000 immigrants, it turned into three million. Shouldn’t we all start coming up funny nicknames for both of them?

THE CHOSEN ONE on January 31, 2008 at 9:52 PM

Yeah, there are some percentage of the illegal aliens who will be materially far better off living here and working in the underground economy than returning to a place where they my have less family and almost no financial prospects.

You make good points about coming up with a plan that is tough on illegals and secures the borders, but not pretending that crafting legislation and using law enforcement will make the illegals evacuate.

dedalus on January 31, 2008 at 9:54 PM

Citizens United… Running Negative ads, such a uniting feeling.

Chakra Hammer on January 31, 2008 at 9:40 PM

David Bossie is the head of that front. Bad things man. Turn your stomach.

THE CHOSEN ONE on January 31, 2008 at 9:54 PM

Hispanics in Florida, who are a lot more conservative than Hispanics elsewhere gave McCain the edge. And these are the educated, managerial, Republican Hispanics. The Mexican and Guatemalan Hispanics won’t be so “conservatively” inlined. They are much more left leaning. They will show you the the Republican party has no chance.

Igor R. on January 31, 2008 at 9:54 PM

Cold Steel on January 31, 2008 at 9:37 PM

I was not asking strictly as a rule of law, I was asking as a conservative principle. Prioritizing if you will.

The right to life trumps all in my view.
You can deport all the illegals you want, but you still can’t kill them.

But what do I know? I’m a just a RINO, not a “real conservative” Sigh.

myamphibian on January 31, 2008 at 9:56 PM

LodeStar on January 31, 2008 at 9:27 PM

Thanks, Lode.

McCain’s performance last night reminded me of how hard I’ll have to hold my nose in the general and vote for him should he become the nominee.

I really hope Mitt Romney can make this a competition. I also hope he’ll do more to try to convince conservatives that he’ll stand by his word, and not switch it everytime the wind blows, because I think what has hurt him a bit in the primaries so far is the believability factor. People want to believe him, but as we all know his record indicates a willingness to change his views for political expediency.

I don’t find either him or McCain particularly trustworthy candidates.

SisterToldjah on January 31, 2008 at 9:57 PM

On another thread I posted the problems I have with McCain (and why my husband and I will write in if McCain wins the nomination), but I wanted to share this anecdote.

My best friend, Dana (God bless her), is a Democrat. Dyed in the wool, thought Clinton on MTV was cool, everything for everybody Democrat. She means well – she wants everyone to be happy, no one to be hurt – but as with all liberals, that intention is misplaced.

A few months ago as we were running some errands together, she said that there are some interesting candidates in the Republican field. “If I were *ever* to vote for a Republican – which I would never do – I’d vote for McCain or Giuliani”, she said. There were already enough “uh-oh” moments for me with McCain, and that was certainly a big one.

McCain suffered as a POW but what he’s done – taking things out of context, robo-calling Cuban voters in Florida with lies… it’s been obvious to me since 2000 that McCain felt he was deprived of his chance (his ‘turn’) and he’s intent on getting the nomination this time. However honourable he was in terrible circumstances in Vietnam, it hasn’t translated into being forthright in the political arena.

All you have to do is see the exchange in the debate about the ‘timetables’ to see how arrogant and smug he is and how he was grabbing at straws trying to prove Romney wanted to withdraw. “‘Timetable’ was the buzzword of people who wanted to withdraw” is just silly; that’s attempting to go into Romney’s head and claim that this WORD was a code that meant he wanted withdrawal. Talk about making things of whole cloth… As I’ve read elsewhere, since when does a project, war or job not have goals and timelines?

linlithgow on January 31, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Hannity & Colmes? Isn’t anyone watching Lost?

dedalus on January 31, 2008 at 9:58 PM

I don’t find either him or McCain particularly trustworthy candidates.

SisterToldjah on January 31, 2008 at 9:57 PM

McCain WILL with 100% certainty make Shamnesty reality. Romney, probably not. At least Tancredo, DeMint, and Arpaio, no fools, thought so. Why is this difference so hard to understand?

Igor R. on January 31, 2008 at 9:58 PM

Igor R. on January 31, 2008 at 9:54 PM

Great point. Hillary is already rounding up her Hispanic friends in CA to fight off Obama’s base. The polling in NV and the focus groups in NV portend that. As Rush says, you can’t out lib a lib. Juan is in the pandering minor leagues compared to Shrill.

Cold Steel on January 31, 2008 at 9:59 PM

Hannity & Colmes? Isn’t anyone watching Lost?

dedalus on January 31, 2008 at 9:58 PM

Reagan was weak. But not as weak as the rest of them. Plus he made people feel good about themselves. And yet he was SO hated by many on the left. And today he is like a founding father, so revered.

Igor R. on January 31, 2008 at 10:01 PM

there’s a troll in here. not the sort of “troll” we seem to be seeing everywhere in one another over intercine disagreements, but the classical kind: a lefty posing as a righty and saying poisonous bulls**t.

but the sad part is that, at this point, i’m not even going to point him out because conservatives from the side he’s playing will just rally around him reflexively.

jummy on January 31, 2008 at 10:02 PM

myamphibian on January 31, 2008 at 9:56 PM

You’re right… life does trump. I’m in agreement with you. I was looking at it from a constitutional/legal standpoint. If you’re talking from a party platform standpoint, life is the cornerstone.

Cold Steel on January 31, 2008 at 10:02 PM

Cold Steel on January 31, 2008 at 9:59 PM

Yes, the beast and her Bubba Bull know that the blacks and hispanics don’t get along. She will turn the whole country into South Central LA just to get elected. Half-senile McNut polls well now, but so did Rudy a few months ago.

Igor R. on January 31, 2008 at 10:04 PM

I keep seeing the argument that we it’s better to let the Democrats win than to vote for a non-conservative like McCain. And I really sympathize with that point of view.

Problem is: the Democrats have been at war with President Bush during the entire last administration. While our military was involved in the War on Terror (WOT), for the Democrats the only war that mattered was the War On Bush (WOB).

If the Democrats win in November, they will do their best to ensure there is no Republican sweep of Congress in 2010. We may be biding our time until the next election. They will not.

theregoestheneighborhood on January 31, 2008 at 10:06 PM

theregoestheneighborhood on January 31, 2008 at 10:06 PM

Once Hillary wins, you will never get a chance. Face it. She doesn’t believe in Democracy. You think Saul Alinsky intended to maintain democracy when he looked for the weakest points in it to attack?

Igor R. on January 31, 2008 at 10:08 PM

Igor R. on January 31, 2008 at 10:04 PM

It’s in the details, and McCain doesn’t have the temperance to meet it. If you compromise your political soul, to gain accolades in the cloakroom, you lose your moral credibility. Nixon found that out the hard way. You can’t beat the Clintons in the “ends justifies the means” game. They’ve perfected Machiavellianism. McCain can hardly remember his scripted lines.

Cold Steel on January 31, 2008 at 10:09 PM

… really hope Mitt Romney can make this a competition. I also hope he’ll do more to try to convince conservatives that he’ll stand by his word, and not switch it everytime the wind blows, because I think what has hurt him a bit in the primaries so far is the believability factor…SisterToldjah on January 31, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Thank you. And I hear what you’re saying about holding your nose while voting.

Which makes it hard to swallow when I hear how principled some of these conservatives are and if you don’t agree, you’re fake and a fraud,

myamphibian on January 31, 2008 at 10:10 PM

Chakra Hammer on January 31, 2008 at 9:40 PM

Cold Steel on January 31, 2008 at 9:46 PM

Thats what my Candidate Rudy did, he ran a positive campaign, now he wants me to vote for McCain..

I Will do it.

Chakra Hammer on January 31, 2008 at 10:12 PM

Cold Steel on January 31, 2008 at 10:09 PM

You are right. Machiavallianism doesn’t alway succeed because people do see through it at times, and there is something strangely attractive to liberals in McCain (he did really well among the anti-war voters in NH), but McCain can’t execute any strategy reliably.

Igor R. on January 31, 2008 at 10:12 PM

Chakra Hammer on January 31, 2008 at 10:12 PM

Rudy ran interference. He did not run a campaign. You really believe conservatives would champion around Guliani and sweep him to the House?

Cold Steel on January 31, 2008 at 10:14 PM

Not only was Reagan responsible for amnesty, but he bailed out of Lebanon and raised taxes. If only he was more of a Reagan Republican.dedalus on January 31, 2008 at 9:58 PM

LMAO

erm..uh…not funny

myamphibian on January 31, 2008 at 10:15 PM

Igor R. on January 31, 2008 at 10:12 PM

He’s attractive to liberals because he is beatable.

That’s why I love the Buffalo Bills. They always showed up in the Super Bowl for the Cowboys.

Cold Steel on January 31, 2008 at 10:16 PM

If McCain were able to take out the Clintons for good would everyone be happier? I would be willing to put up with him based on that alone. In fact, he would be a legend. He can not wreck our country nearly as badly as Hillary.

Mitt is still getting my vote on Tuesday. The Republican nominee will get my vote in November no matter what.

JDH on January 31, 2008 at 10:17 PM

JDH on January 31, 2008 at 10:17 PM

If you do vote for Juan, may I suggest the following:
Sell all pharmaceutical stock ASAP.
Wear ratty clothes, and drive a beater. The class envy thing is just taking off.
Go back to school: all the menial labor jobs will be taken.
Move all 401k’s, IRA’s, money market accounts, etc. to off-shore accounts.
Edit your blogs for any political content.
Break all the mirrors in your home.

Cold Steel on January 31, 2008 at 10:23 PM

Cold Steel on January 31, 2008 at 10:23 PM

I completely understand the sentiment. I just wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I didn’t cancel out a yea vote for Hillary. I think we all have a duty to save our country from her.

JDH on January 31, 2008 at 10:26 PM

I think Reagan was a great President. My point, though, is that we’ve created such a halo around our memory of him that even he couldn’t measure up to the legend.

Folks should feel free to rip into McCain. There is abundant reason, but if the same detail was focused on the eight years of the Reagan administration we could fill a few threads on areas where he came up short in executing a “real conservative” agenda.

dedalus on January 31, 2008 at 10:29 PM

JDH on January 31, 2008 at 10:17 PM

I agree with you but it appears the real conservatives are ready to abandon the Republican party. Sucks for us, but in the long run, it may help get us over this debilitating divisive spell. McCain will not only have to battle Hillary, he will have to fight our extreme right as well. but I do think he will try his best to reach out to the base. How far left he has to reach out for moderate voters depends on how much flak he gets from his own side. And who he picks for veep.

myamphibian on January 31, 2008 at 10:31 PM

JDH on January 31, 2008 at 10:26 PM

If people were truly concerned, they would have blown McCain out when they had the chance. Moderates and Independents in the early primaries decided our fates for us. They chose for us. We should have been rallying and uniting from the jump. Too many bought into the mythology promoted by the MSM.

Cold Steel on January 31, 2008 at 10:32 PM

Cold Steel on January 31, 2008 at 10:32 PM

I think there needs to be serious consideration to closing all the primaries to registered republicans. Let republicans decide who represents their/my party. It seems logical, but sometimes that doesn’t play into it.

JDH on January 31, 2008 at 10:39 PM

myamphibian on January 31, 2008 at 10:31 PM

I think people are a little fired up right now but cooler heads will prevail. After all, we are not Hillary’s core constituency. We are educated, employed, and empowered. November is a long way off. Wait until the first Presidential debate before you give up on everyone.

McCain might pick Joe Lieberman, John Kerry, Maxine Waters, I don’t know. He is a loose cannon. We can not, however, let Hillary back in the White House under any circumstance.

JDH on January 31, 2008 at 10:45 PM

JDH on January 31, 2008 at 10:39 PM

I’m for that completely. If people cross over back and forth, from either party, it debases the system. We’re in this situation because people feel the need to antagonize each other. There’s the sentiment to win at any costs. Then we moan and wail because payback hurts so much.

Cold Steel on January 31, 2008 at 10:47 PM

He has an 8 point lead over Romney who is hardly conservative. Everyone admits all of the candidates have been weak. McCain is obviously the lesser of many evils. And he’s a Great American Hero to boot, if this country can’t rally around someone like John McCain, we’re doomed.

It’s a totally different chair

myamphibian on January 31, 2008 at 10:48 PM

…They committed a crime and should be penalized.

We disagree. I am totally for true amnesty – I want no fine nor jail time for the first illegal entry. But I refuse to reward them with what they came here to steal in the first place – residency. Anyone who believes that this policy – of rewarding a thief with the stolen goods – will ever stop, or even discourage, the stealing is delusional. I defy you to name another crime where you would suggest the same policy – fine or no fine.

You would grant the stolen goods while soliciting an after-the-fact bribe. This is exactly the same as a BP agent accepting a bribe before-the-fact, and it will produce the same result: increased illegal border crossings. Dangerous desert crossings. Even with the best of fences. You don’t want genocide in the desert, do you?

Repeatedly rewarding criminals with their ill-gotten goods only encourages more criminality. This is so logical it hurts to disbelieve it.

If a burglar steals your power tools, and the judge awards your tools to the convicted thief (even with a fine), 1) do you think burglaries would decline or increase in your neighborhood, and 2) would you be pi$$ed? This is elementary human behavior.

Every time Congress just starts to TALK about “amnesty”, the flood of illegals increases at the border. They are not dumb. Congress is. And more are enticed to die in the desert, thanks to this ill-conceived policy.

Again – Marshall plan in THEIR country if you want to fund it, not anarchy in ours.

Continuing this policy is obviously foolish. We have to stop encouraging them, else the deaths in the desert will continue.

RESIDENCY. It’s the residency. The ill-gotten goods are residency. If you reward them with it, it only encourages more illegal behavior.

But they are going to be permanent residence whether we like it or not.

Wrong. Look at the evidence. I note you don’t provide any for your recommended policy.

Be firm. Be strong. Don’t give up so easily. I hate to see people with good intentions give up when confronted by a problem.

tommylotto on January 31, 2008 at 9:36 PM

Think about it, and good night.

fred5678 on January 31, 2008 at 11:03 PM

There is no way McCain can win. There are to many Conservatives that hate him.

If by some wierd twist of fate he did manage to get elected. he would make Conservatives pay.

Has Juan Macarena ever even had a job where his check did not come from tax payors?

TheSitRep on January 31, 2008 at 11:12 PM

Coincidentally, that is the same nuke image I stole for my banner at http://www.thesitrep.com

TheSitRep on January 31, 2008 at 11:14 PM

dedalus on January 31, 2008 at 9:54 PM

Are you tommy’s clone? See my 7:11 and 11:03 posts.

Take a few minutes and look at the references. Listen to the illegals testify about attrition by enforcement. Respect the considered debate in multiple state legislatures, which passed such laws.

And the evidence of success of “amnesty” policies since 1986? – from 1 to 3M in 1986, and now 12 to 30M illegals. Success?? Hardly.

Read, enjoy, learn, and good night.

fred5678 on January 31, 2008 at 11:17 PM

Man, if only this went down. At a minimum, this shows how ill-tempered McCain is. Especially when he loses.

From Drudge:

Cold Steel on January 31, 2008 at 11:17 PM

jummy on January 31, 2008 at 10:02 PM

The lefty troll impersonating a McCain hyper is Chakra Hammer, of course. Never has this tool owned up to his actual beliefs or stated what exactly is so great about John McCain.

All he does is needle people about Romney.

This tool is in actuality about as conservative as Jim McDermott. Or perhaps he IS Jim McDermott.

You’re a troll too, but you’re at least a creative troll. How is that natto working out for you, BTW?

fiatboomer on January 31, 2008 at 11:28 PM

Are you tommy’s clone? See my 7:11 and 11:03 posts.

Don’t need to be a clone to offer a compliment. Tommy and I have disagreed on a few things in the past–probably Rudy to pick one.

Look forward to reading your posts.

dedalus on January 31, 2008 at 11:40 PM

This election cycle has me wanting to perform the Exorcist spinning head maneuver.

Snooper on February 1, 2008 at 6:19 AM

McCain & Rudy will be on Leno tonight..

Chakra Hammer on January 31, 2008 at 9:13 PM

Let me clear my schedule…. NOT! Romney may not be everything I wanted in a candidate… but now he fits all my criteria.

Not McCain… check!
Not from Arkansas… check!

where’s the lever?

BadBrad on February 1, 2008 at 6:32 AM

I will NEVER vote for John McCain. I may join Coulter and vote Hillary.

davecatbone on February 1, 2008 at 9:11 AM

Bryan,

During this election cycle, I’ve come up with a little joke of sorts.

If the election comes down to Clinton v McCain, or Obama v McCain, I will move to India or New Zealand!

Furthermore, I created a list of write-in candidates that I posted at Michelle tells Glenn Beck: I won’t vote for McCain over Hillary

Here is that list:

Michelle Malkin: Next to my wife, and in a close tie perhaps with Dianne Irving, PhD who has written brilliant documents regarding Human Embryology, and Ethics related to abortion, Human Embryonic Stem Cell Research, Cloning, etc., debunking the false science, deception, etc. perpetrated by so many politicians and so-called “scientists” who are out of their fields in their promoting things they know little to nothing about, Michelle is among the most brilliant, most talented woman in regard to reasoning, clarity, journalism, communication skills, strong willed, level headed, and, although the left hates her, she is a most likable person.

Michelle has an air of warmth, congeniality, open-mindedness, balanced with a strong will, decisiveness, honesty, and ethics and values. She seems to care, and she seems to be quite reasonable. She stands her ground on that which she believes in, and, although she has occasionally become hot under the collar regarding some issues, and taken a lot of abuse from hate filled cooks of the left, she has always maintained dignity and civility.

Of course, she is well informed and has a penchant for getting to the bottom of a story, digging deep for the truth, and not being snowed by bogus, fabricated “stories.”

She has great qualities that would make her a great candidate for President.

Bruce Lee” Yes, he was born in the US, in San Francisco while his dad traveled with a Chinese Opera company, although he has passed away in 1973. Even dead he’ll make a better president than McCain, Shrillary, and The Savior of Mankind, Messiah, Bringer of Change, Obama. Snicker, snicker!

Kajol: I know, Bollywood-India actress, warm and charismatic and likable as she is, as talented as she is, she is not a US citizen that I know of, but she is among my favorite actresses in the world.

Marilyn vos Savant: I know that her world record IQ of 228 (100 is average) does not qualify her to be president, but if people falsely claim that Shrillary Klingon is the “Smartest Woman in the World” when it really is a toss up between My wife, smart enough to marry me, and lovable as all get out, humble as the day is long, but smart and sharp as can be, and Marilyn vos Savant, and perhaps a few other women who are truly smart like them, perhaps it makes sense to really get a legitimately smart woman, and not just s somewhat smart while also deceptive and soulless women in the White House.

Thomas Sowell: Wonderful author and thinker. Brilliant man.

I know, I know. Blacks will hate him because “his mind ain’t right” and “he doesn’t know what it is to be black” even though he has been black since birth. He is too smart, too bright, to well educated and reasonable for most lefties, liberals, Democrats, and race obsessed, race poisoned blacks, and Dr. Sowell is too uppity for any left leaning white racist Democrats.

He just doesn’t know his place.

He thinks for himself.

He’d be a great write-in vote candidate!

Professor Walter Williams: Again, too reasonable. Too brilliant. To uppity for white liberals – sneaky racists that they are, and black racist, race baiters, and race mongers. Good for the Conservative/Libertarian minded.

Larry Elder: Again. To uppity for leftist liberal whites who play the Race bean counting game. He doesn’t know his place in their eyes. And too “white” for racist blacks to support. Again, too bright, too accomplished, too vocal in speaking his mind, too strong willed, and thinks for himself.

Larry is a real go-getter. He cares! He used his own resources, not begging from the “Guvument” (spelling intentional) to start programs to help keep kids of the street, off drugs, out of violent gangs, and succeed in life, scholastically, achievment and goal oriented. Great guy who does not get enough praise or noteriety, and an entertaining author as well.

Yes, Larry Elder, Esquire, author, talk radio host.

Good guy, poison for leftists-liberals, but good for Conservatives/Libertarians.

Mike Adams: Professor of Criminology, UNC.

Way to smart and free spirited, fearless, and clever for the leftists-lilberals to understand, poison for Mind Police-Thought Police leftists, a bane on gun control freaks, deadly for Islamic Jihadis, and a crushing blow to male hating, hate filled, mentally deranged, divisive, up tight, thought police loving negative type “feminists.”

J. C. Watts: former Federal House of Representative member from Oklahoma.

Oh, the ACLU, atheists, and nasty racist would hate him! Too bad. He is a brilliant thinker, an excellent public servant, and a likable guy.

Again, an uppity black man who doesn’t know his place and whose mind ain’t right. He is patriotic, has conservative values, and does not seem to see a KKK mob hiding behind a tree holding a noose ready to make life a living hell for “minorities” but thinks things through for himself.

In other words, he ain’t no sheep!

Caution … he is an ordained minister. Oops! Can’t have not Bible believin’, Church goin’ Christian nut in the White House, unless that person is a Democrat!

J. C. Watts is an excellent speaker, gifted with a wonderful, melifluous voice.

I’ve admired J C Watts for years and I had hoped that he might have support and feel inspired to run and toss his hat into the ring. Alas, instead we have a nightmare about to unfold with McCain, Clinton, and Obama appearing to make this the most horrific, terrible election in baby boomer history!

Bobby Jindhal: newly elected Louisiana Governor. He IS a US citizen, born on Baton Rouge, LA, and a REAL so-called “minority” person of Asian Indian decent.

This man possesses a remarkable resume. Here is a brief sample:

1991 Graduates from Brown University with honors, in biology and public policy

1994 Graduates from Oxford University as Rhodes Scholar with a graduate degree

1994-1995 Advises Fortune 50 companies as a consultant for McKinsey and Company

1996 Appointed Secretary, Department of Health and Hospitals; rescues Louisiana’s Medicaid program from bankruptcy by turning a $400 million deficit into three years of surpluses totaling $220 million.

1998 Appointed Executive Director, National Bipartisan Commission on the Future of Medicare, a 17-member panel charged with devising plan to reform Medicare

1999 At the request of the Governor’s Office and the Legislature, volunteers his time to study how Louisiana might use its $4.4 billion tobacco settlement

Appointed President of the University of Louisiana System (16th largest in the U.S.)

2004 Elected to U.S. Congress, representing Louisiana’s first district

2006 Reelected to U.S. Congress

Current Lousiana governor.

(Info cited – bobbyjindal.com)

Here is a likable, warm, friendly, caring, intelligent, well educated fellow who has been a reliable individual in positions of responsibility, plus he cares and has shown it frequently.

He also lived through the racist attacks from phonies who cry “racism” every time they stub their toe, when all along they, themselves, are the real racists and haters!

Newt Gingrich: A briilliant man and innovative thinker with a wonderful attitude!

Those are just a few ideas.

Does anyone else have any write-in vote ideas?

William