Romney makes major Super Tuesday ad buy

posted at 10:26 am on January 31, 2008 by Bryan

Just across on Fox and the AP reports too. The ad buy includes California and several other Super Tuesday states.

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney plans to run a “significant” level of television ads in California and other states that vote Tuesday in essentially a national primary, aides said Thursday, signaling a willingness to aggressively try to derail Republican front-runner John McCain.

Since his defeat in Florida Tuesday, the former Massachusetts governor has been debating over just how much of an effort to make in which of the 21 states that hold primaries and caucuses Tuesday.

I doubt that the ad buy includes broadcasts of the following video, and that’s a shame. Produced by the Romney camp, it gives a look at the inside story of how Romney turned Bain & Co around from a floundering operation that had laid off much of its staff, twice, to a company that’s 15 times larger than it was when Romney took it over. It’s a story that the press isn’t likely to report, so Romney has to pay for its production himself.

I’m sure someone out there will say that Mitt Romney led Bain for profit, not patriotism. But I don’t see why the two have to be mutually exclusive. Neither did Ronald Reagan, for that matter.

Update (AP): I’m glad to see he’s going all in. John Dickerson’s right about his performance at the debate last night, though. I said yesterday he could have captured the base’s imagination by laying Captain Amnesty out. He didn’t:

At the debate Wednesday, the last before the big Super Tuesday vote, the two men bickered over McCain’s misleading characterization of Romney’s view. Romney got quasi-indignant, calling out McCain for twisting his words. He turned to moderator Anderson Cooper to say McCain was making a Washington style attack.

It was a strong rebuttal, but not strong enough. Romney’s opportunity was to go at the central claim of McCain’s candidacy, his boast that he is a straight talker. This would have been like liquid Reagan to the conservative critics who dislike McCain’s positions on immigration, campaign finance, and taxes but are reduced to sputtering by what they see as McCain’s sanctimoniousness. It’s why they derisively call him St. John. If Romney had given voice to their critique by arguing that McCain praises himself for truth-telling while trafficking in a distortion, it would have fired up the waiting armies while simultaneously showing that Romney was one of them. Who cares about his flips and flops, hand me the pitchfork.

Maybe he’s saving this for the ads?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Yawn. Does anyone here really think that a few more ads in the next few days changes anything? Or that the debate last night made much difference? Or that your $20 campaign contribution is going to help turn things around?

It’s the 2 minute warning in the 4th quarter, and Romney is down by 10 with no timeouts on his own 20 yard line.

McBackstabber McCain is bad, but Romney is no better- he’s another Big Government clone of GW Bush who also happens to be unelectable and unable to mainatain a steadfast, coherent conservative position. Put me in the apathetic column. The Republican party is equally screwed no matter which of them wins.

But go ahead, hope, vote and donate all you want over the next 5 days- just know that you’re fighting a losing battle, Romniacs.

Hollowpoint on January 31, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Helllooo – ALASKANS WANT TO DRILL ANWAR !!!

stenwin77 on January 31, 2008 at 11:14 AM

He’s for letting states decide. except if they want to drill ANWAR.

Shay on January 31, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Mac had clean hands in 2000, and W buried him with Smears in South Carolina and never looked back.

That’s funny. I remember when he ran for congressman in 1982, and he didn’t have clean hands then or at any time afterward. He was always the nasty, vindictive, sneering little man we saw last night.

Shay on January 31, 2008 at 12:18 PM

Dorvillian

I grew-up in Doraville, my sister still lives in the house I grew-up in and tells me the horror stories of her (illegal) neighbor next door.

I live in Tucker on the border of Norcross (Jimmy Carter Blvd.) area. I hate what has happened to our communities. I just heard on the local news that Gwinnett County is the #1 destination of drug trafficking in the friggin country. The officer attributed this to the illegal Hispanic gangs.

I will NEVER vote for McCain.

moonsbreath on January 31, 2008 at 12:27 PM

Then its time for a “hail Mary”. (no religious connotation intended)

kcd on January 31, 2008 at 12:27 PM

Its time for a miracle. Wont come to the evil dark side Huck or the schazzenegger/mcCain camp…it will come to the good guys.

Jedi Romney rules.

Roger Waters on January 31, 2008 at 12:37 PM

Roger Waters on January 31, 2008 at 12:37 PM

You don’t know the power of the MAC Side!!!

JayHaw Phrenzie on January 31, 2008 at 12:38 PM

I hope Romney’s planning on buying some ad time in Arizona. I’ve seen commercials from Guiliani, Clinton, Huckabee, Obama — but none from Romney. Arizona votes on Tuesday, and it’s a closed primary. Most AZ Republicans detest Juan McCain, and it’s not just because of his back-stabbing support for amnesty. A lot of them have worked with McCain up close, and they know what he’s really like. Romney could win here, if he made the effort.

AZCoyote on January 31, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Roger Waters on January 31, 2008 at 12:37 PM

U.S. Senate — Arizona
Updated 11/24/04 1:59 AM ET
Precincts:100% Incumbent* declared winner

Candidates Votes %

John S. McCain * (R) 1,234,558 76
Stuart M. Starky (D) 335,974 21
Other 43,827 3

Yah, they really detest him in AZ.

JayHaw Phrenzie on January 31, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Oops, meant to use this reference:

AZCoyote on January 31, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Sorry.

JayHaw Phrenzie on January 31, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Most AZ Republicans detest Juan McCain

AZCoyote on January 31, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Not even close:

bnelson44 on January 31, 2008 at 12:48 PM

He outspent McCain 10 to 1 in Florida and it didnt make a damn bit of difference. So whats the point? He’s not going to get the nom.

jesterstear on January 31, 2008 at 12:58 PM

AZCoyote on January 31, 2008 at 1:07 PM

AZCoyote on January 31, 2008 at 1:08 PM

That “straw poll” was at a meeting with a bunch of fringe “Republican leaders” in the unincorporated areas of Maricopa County. Ron Paul came in at 16% in their “poll.”

bnelson44 on January 31, 2008 at 1:16 PM

mccain is not what the gop should be about. he’s a classless moron. maybe he can smear romney again, then complain about “attack” ads..

therightwinger on January 31, 2008 at 1:23 PM

I would hate McCain, too, if I was in AZ. He’s been in the Senate for 25 years and still no fence in AZ? Oh, excuse me, as Johnny Mac would put it, the gd fence?

JustTruth101 on January 31, 2008 at 1:24 PM

JustTruth101 on January 31, 2008 at 10:41 AM

Just gave Mitt another c note after last nights debate , I have myself my mom and my 2 room mates voting Tuesday for Mitt here in California . so far thats 4 and now Im going to mass email my friends and push for them to vote for Mitt .
I will never vote against my principles again so Juan you will never get my vote , I would vote for RP before you and rp is a nut

Mojack420 on January 31, 2008 at 1:25 PM

Intrade

bnelson44 on January 31, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Dorvillian

I will NEVER vote for McCain.

moonsbreath on January 31, 2008 at 12:27 PM

Have hope!! At least your state is one of four that is starting to get serious, while McCain held hostage our border security (and, thereby, our NATIONAL security) by insisting on rewarding 12 to 30 million illegal aliens with Z visas. If he had left out rewards from McCain-Kennedy, it would have passed easily. Instead, for 2 years he insulted Americans while demanding rewards and benefits for foreign invaders.

Click on the Georgia video on this page and hear illegal aliens explain why they are leaving Georgia.

fred5678 on January 31, 2008 at 1:38 PM

Conventions matter and convention bounces, or lack of bounces, particularly matter in very close elections. Who did Karl Rove and the GOP strategists chose to put front and center on prime-time television for the American people?

Arnold Schwarzenegger, Rudy Giuliani, John McCain and Zell Miller.

These prime-time speaking slots were not an accident.

Read the whole article.

bnelson44 on January 31, 2008 at 1:41 PM

AZCoyote on January 31, 2008 at 1:08 PM
That poll was from Jan.19th–”outdated” % by today’s.
Given %, AZ has a large Mormon population that will support Romney regardless.

I asked my spouse this morning, if McCain is so damn unpopular is AZ, why is he still Senator? Carl Hayden and Barry Goldwater are turning in their graves given McCain’s bloody RINO saber. The obvious need is for a more conservative contender to contest that seat. Should McCain become POTUS, the seat is vacant. So what’s the word about new GOP Senate contenders from Maricopa County?

maverick muse on January 31, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Sigh just out right now at Rasmussen. They rate McCain’s chances of winning the nomination at 80%

Rasmussen

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A week ago, Rasmussen Reports noted that if John McCain wins Florida, he may be close to unstoppable in the race for the Republican nomination. He did win … and he is close to unstoppable. On the morning after Florida, Rasmussen Markets gave McCain an 80% chance of winning the nomination (current pricing ( 84.0%).

William Amos on January 31, 2008 at 1:42 PM

bnelson44 on January 31, 2008 at 1:41 PM

A little more from the article to wet your lips:

Without Schwarzenegger, Giuliani and McCain voters in 2004 George Bush would have lost to John Kerry and without Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and evangelical voters in 2008 John McCain does not have a chance against Hillary Clinton.

bnelson44 on January 31, 2008 at 1:43 PM

William Amos on January 31, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Same for Intrade

bnelson44 on January 31, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Even though it fills your ears for free, don’t listen to hype. McCain has a better chance winning the Democratic nomination.
Romney has been patient, and careful. He hasn’t changed strategies; I’m guessing that his campaign has been planning for all eventualities, all possible combinations of candidates still in the running, who has dropped out, strengths and weaknesses of opponents, etc.
Look at it this way-even though Guliani is endorsing McCain, all of the true conservatives who were hoping on Rudy won’t follow him. We are not sheep.
Let all of the half hearted liberal conservatives go to McCain/Clinton/Obama. They are sheep. When they leave, the conservative base becomes more unified. Not around three possible candidates, but only one: Romney. See you in the funny papers.

Doug on January 31, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Swartzenegger just backed McCain

William Amos on January 31, 2008 at 2:25 PM

Heh. Called it.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on January 31, 2008 at 2:28 PM

schwarzenegger endorsed McCain.

Sheesh, who did not see that coming a zillion miles away.

The man sleeps with a Kennedy.
McCain is in bed with Teddy Kennedy.

They are pratically related

EJDolbow on January 31, 2008 at 2:36 PM

I’m with Mitt!

madmonkphotog on January 31, 2008 at 3:03 PM

Some wisdom from Karl Rove

bnelson44 on January 31, 2008 at 3:06 PM

The Rove op-ed is interesting. I think that the candidates haven’t yet figured out how to campaign in the new media age and that’s why the campaign season has been so strange.

Also a good point that our debates are primarily about issues and ideas (the ad hominens in the comments section of HA aside), but the Democratic race is degenerating into race and gender attacks. I’d rather be here, even if our debate is heated.

TX Mom on January 31, 2008 at 3:38 PM

moonsbreath on January 31, 2008 at 12:27 PM

So did I. Dresden for elementary then I went to Sequoyah for HS but left as a junior, the year before it was converted to a middle school. I hear Chamblee is called by another name pertaining to the “immigrant” majority there.

geckomon on January 31, 2008 at 3:52 PM

SECOND LOOK AT MITT COUNTER-OFFENSIVE!

SuperCool on January 31, 2008 at 4:00 PM

McBackstabber McCain is bad, but Romney is no better- he’s another Big Government clone of GW Bush Hollowpoint on January 31, 2008 at 12:02 PM

I don’t understand you at all. You have been bashing Romney for months on largely superficial points and now you say Romney is a clone of GWB? He is in no way shape or form comparable to the inept GWB. To say such a thing suggests that after all these months of bashing him you havent really even bothered to learn anything about him.

If your complaint is all the candidates are too far to the left but yet you still cant be bothered to support the one who is the most concervative then why are you wasting your time and every one elses posting? You hurt the concervative movement by bashing the most concervative candidate in the race.

Resolute on January 31, 2008 at 5:53 PM

“…and without Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and evangelical voters in 2008 John McCain does not have a chance against Hillary Clinton.”

The little lying filth-pig should have realized that long ago, eh? He’s been the one flinging sewage on classical liberals for years, not to mention trashing businessmen, Swift Vets, the Constitution, etc.

Better an honest socialist than a dishonest betrayer of freedom and human dignity.

ebrown2 on February 1, 2008 at 9:19 AM

If we Republicans nominate McLame, we are the stupidest political party in the world.

Even stupider-er!