Open thread: The last, best hope for conservative kind; Update: Mitt backs off on Super Tuesday ads?

posted at 7:41 pm on January 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

8 p.m. ET on CNN. Romney gets a rare opportunity, at the Reagan library no less: If he figures out a way to take down McCain, he’ll capture the base’s imagination instantly. People were aching for someone to hammer Huckabee about his squishiness and ol’ Fred came through, winning ecstatic praise but not having enough support by that point to do anything with it. Mitt is a different story. If he lays Maverick out by channelling the frustrations you’re hearing elsewhere in conservative media today, he’s got a shot at (finally) getting some people excited. If he doesn’t, he’d better pray Limbaugh et al. have some sort of doomsday weapon in reserve.

Huckabee has an unusual opportunity too, to cement the non-evangelical base’s loathing of him by hammering Romney on McCain’s behalf. If it becomes too obvious a game of good cop/bad cop — especially with Maverick ducking Romney on Meet the Press — the rivers of anti-Huck venom will flow tomorrow like the mighty Mississip, which should be enough to finish off the dumb rumors about him being on the ticket.

Sound off below, and look out for some questions in this vein especially given the dust-up this weekend over timetables. The Arnold endorsement is coming soon, possibly even tonight, and some key southern endorsements are on tap for tomorrow. Exit question: At what time precisely will Hugh Hewitt’s “Romney won the debate” post be published? It’s already mostly written, I’m sure. Over/under is 10:32.

Update: Throwing in the towel?

In a major boost for John McCain, Republican presidential rival Mitt Romney signaled Wednesday he’s not ready to commit to a costly campaign in the states holding primaries and caucuses next week.

Several officials said that on the heels of a defeat in Tuesday’s Florida primary, Romney’s campaign was not attempting to purchase television advertising time in any of the states on the Super Tuesday calendar…

Officials familiar with Romney’s plans cautioned they could yet changes. They said that paradoxically, the Florida defeat had been followed with a particularly strong day of online fundraising. But they added that in discussions so far, the former Massachusetts governor had selected the least costly of a variety of options prepared for his review.

Why wouldn’t he go for broke, unless he thinks he’s throwing his money away?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 9 10 11

For the same reason they cut Paul’s time short- neither one have a chance at winning, and neither one have any legitimate reason to still be in the race.

Hollowpoint on January 30, 2008 at 9:55 PM

How long have you worked at CNN?

apacalyps on January 30, 2008 at 10:23 PM

Mitt better not quit! I think that must be a nasty rumor.

Oink on January 30, 2008 at 10:24 PM

I don’t support McCain and Huckabee had no control over the borders as a governor, Einstein.

p0s3r on January 30, 2008 at 10:24 PM

They want to see the fight and Huckabee has no fight in him. period.

livermush on January 30, 2008 at 10:21 PM

Good screen shot there.

Mcguyver on January 30, 2008 at 10:24 PM

How long have you worked at CNN?

apacalyps on January 30, 2008 at 10:23 PM

For how long have you been oblivious to the blatantly obvious?

Hollowpoint on January 30, 2008 at 10:24 PM

Boomer, did I say I wouldn’t cast my vote? I’d probably write-in Huckabee anyway…or someone else.

I’d NEVER even suggest I’d vote for a Democrat in this day and age.

Truth be known…I’m hoping now for a brokered convention that unites the party behind a sutable candidate since the big-headed bloggers, pundits, and radio-entertainers have F*d it all up for us.

Al-Ozarka on January 30, 2008 at 10:25 PM

I am an evangelical Christian and I find Huckabee to be nothing more than a cheesy pandering buffoon.

SimplyKimberly on January 30, 2008 at 9:56 PM

Oh, here we go again. I always find it curious those who find a need to tell us “they are Christian” before making a derogatory comment about Huckabee.

Tell me Christian SimplyKimberly, how many ways are there to heaven?

apacalyps on January 30, 2008 at 10:26 PM

“How much control does a governor have over the illegals that are already in his state? Enough to give them in-state tuition, apparently.”

So…you would DENY tuition to a bright student with potential because of the crimes of his/her parents?

Al-Ozarka on January 30, 2008 at 10:26 PM

“I’d NEVER even suggest I’d vote for a Democrat in this day and age.”

As many on this blog have.

Al-Ozarka on January 30, 2008 at 10:27 PM

I am a Christian and there is one way to obtain eternal life. Huckabee panders and has no fight in him. That’s my cheap shot. However, I would take him over McVain. Go Mitt!

livermush on January 30, 2008 at 10:28 PM

Absolutely.

Cuffy Meigs on January 30, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Rest assure McCain at some point is gonna loose control,
and I dare say I see McCain as I’ve been here forever in
politics and damm!t you Republicans owe it to me,just give
me the nominee,i’ve earned it!

canopfor on January 30, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Channeling Yogi Berra?

Buy Danish on January 30, 2008 at 9:58 PM

I like you. People say I’ve got no taste, but I like you.

apacalyps on January 30, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Patently dishonest. Denying illegal immigrants IN-STATE tuition isn’t denying them tuition. It’s denying the tuition break for being a legal citizen of the state of Arkansas.

p0s3r on January 30, 2008 at 10:30 PM

Absolutely.

Cuffy Meigs on January 30, 2008 at 10:29 PM

livermush on January 30, 2008 at 10:31 PM

Tell me Christian SimplyKimberly, how many ways are there to heaven?

apacalyps on January 30, 2008 at 10:26 PM

There is only one way through Christ Jesus, confessing that he is my Lord and Savior.

You want to play this game?

I can tell you the date I got saved. 01/19/90

I can tell you the date that I realized that being a Christian meant changing the way I lived my life to correspond with God’s commands. 04/23/91

SimplyKimberly on January 30, 2008 at 10:31 PM

Huckabee and shills are pissed that Romney and McCain got the most spotlight.

Mcguyver on January 30, 2008 at 9:59 PM

Shills? I’m no ones shill. I truly believe Mike Huckabee is the best candidate for the Republican nomination. So you’re wrong there.

Number two. The debate was rigged and they avoided Huckabee. Agin, you’re wrong.

Two wrong. No right.

apacalyps on January 30, 2008 at 10:32 PM

Folks, you are being lied to by the MSM. This was very evident tonight by their boycott of Mike H. I’m surprised more people here, even though you may not vote for the Gov. wouldn’t be more upset the media is manipulating your ability to make decisions. You’re like sheep. You deserve what you get.

Ba-ha-ha, ba-ha-ha.

apacalyps on January 30, 2008 at 10:36 PM

“Why can a family from Mexico move to Arkansas and get in-state tuition, but a family from Alabama can’t?”

Because they can get it back home in Alabama. A child living in Araknsas can’t go to Alabama and get IN-STATE tuition, can he/she?

Al-Ozarka on January 30, 2008 at 10:37 PM

“Let me spell this one for you so there is no confusion.. YES YES YES ABSOLUTELY!”

And this tells me a lot about YOU!

Al-Ozarka on January 30, 2008 at 10:38 PM

Ain’t no need for no name callin..

kcd on January 30, 2008 at 9:59 PM

Just as long as you defend me too when they attack me.

apacalyps on January 30, 2008 at 10:38 PM

Same for you, Cuffy.

Al-Ozarka on January 30, 2008 at 10:38 PM

…even though you may not vote for the Gov. wouldn’t be more upset the media is manipulating your ability to make decisions.

Has it occurred to you that some of our decisions have already been made? They do not include Huck, hence we applaud CNN for not wasting our time with his dorky insurance salesman schtick.

Cuffy Meigs on January 30, 2008 at 10:38 PM

p0s3r on January 30, 2008 at 10:38 PM

“I’d NEVER even suggest I’d vote for a Democrat in this day and age.”

As many on this blog have.

Al-Ozarka on January 30, 2008 at 10:27 PM

The stakes are very high in this election, as they were in 2000 and 2004.

Anybody who wants to vote for a Dem to teach Republicans a lesson will have Nancy and Harry taking interest out of your backside. Cheers!

fiatboomer on January 30, 2008 at 10:40 PM

“Same with the Mexicans. They can go back to Guadalajara and get in-state tuition there.”

The kids can? When they live in Arkansas at their parents’ will?

Be honest, for goodness sake!

Al-Ozarka on January 30, 2008 at 10:40 PM

Al-Ozarka on January 30, 2008 at 10:37 PM

Cuffy Meigs on January 30, 2008 at 10:41 PM

(Uh-OH…this may be my last post)

Al-Ozarka on January 30, 2008 at 10:00 PM

I don’t care anymore. The GOP use to be a party of the people, it has turned into a party of the golf club set.

apacalyps on January 30, 2008 at 10:41 PM

“To allow the Dems total control with what they will interpret as a mandate will certainly equal a Clintonesque gutting of the military, a whole new tax appearing on your W-2 to pay for mediocre health care, and probably the biggest open borders since the Von Schlieffen Plan.”

Are you suggesting I vote for a candidate I despise, like Romney?

Sorry, can’t.

Al-Ozarka on January 30, 2008 at 10:42 PM

“So why shouldn’t the poor innocent child of a criminal get in-state tuition in the state of Chihuahua instead?”

Because he/she doesn’t LIVE in Chihuaha and has no control over that.

Al-Ozarka on January 30, 2008 at 10:43 PM

No, you are!

Cuffy Meigs on January 30, 2008 at 10:01 PM

Hey! Let’s bash the best candidate running for President, Mike Huckabee. C’mon… let’s do it. It’s so much fun. Ready? 1.. 2.. you first.

apacalyps on January 30, 2008 at 10:44 PM

Screw McCain, I know what I said today about swallowing a pill, pulling the lever for McCain for the troops, and never, ever telling anyone about it.
F-That, I’m going down with Romney if that’s what’s to be.
I can’t vote for McCain. He’s just the wrong choice.
Anyone out there voting on Tuesday really needs to think about the impact of what a vote for McCain over Romney means.
1. He’s old Washington.
Romney doesn’t owe anyone anything. For those of you who say he’s spent too much of his own money because he’s rich, isn’t that a good thing? He owes no special interests.
2. He will change the face of this country regarding ILLEGAL immigration. If you don’t believe that, you’re not paying attention. (Google Juan Hernandez)
Romney will keep the borders in check by forcing the attrition and also through enforcement.
3. He will degrade freedom of speech, i.e. McCain/Feingold.
Romney has no problem with Freedom of Speech.
4. He doesn’t know about the economy.
Romney has plans. When he talked about an economy with safety relief valves, I don’t know what he meant by that but I know it sounds a hell of a lot more secure than McCain’s, “I don’t know about the economy and numbers and junk.”
5. He gives vague answers.
Romney has accurate, detailed plans. I never knew what the hell “Fees” meant until tonight. I understand now, state fees. I get it.

Look, I’m a blue jeans and t-shirt guy. I live week to week. I drive 80 miles total every day to work. It takes a toll on gas. I’m scared to death of the economy tanking. I pay into social security every week but I KNOW I’ll never see it when I’m old.
I drive to work in the morning and I’ve seen vans full of Mexicans workers with tinted windows, low key and a Mexican is driving. You just know, you know? I live in New England. I can imagine what it’s like down south. I’ve seen it there too. I grew up in Northern California; I’ve lived in Fresno as well. I’ve seen the illegal immigration up close and personal. I know what I’m talking about.
I’ve had a few beers so this is a little choppy but these are strenuous times, ya know?
K, I’ve said my peace but I’d like to hear a hell yeah or and Amen if you’re in the same boat I am.
Geronimo for Romney 08

Geronimo on January 30, 2008 at 10:44 PM

apacalyps on January 30, 2008 at 10:41 PM

Party of the People? Weren’t you calling me a Bolshevik a while back, comrade?

Cuffy Meigs on January 30, 2008 at 10:44 PM

fiatboomer on January 30, 2008 at 10:01 PM

Who are you supporting bomber?

apacalyps on January 30, 2008 at 10:45 PM

“F-That, I’m going down with Romney if that’s what’s to be.”

God help America!

Al-Ozarka on January 30, 2008 at 10:46 PM

Because he/she doesn’t LIVE in Chihuaha…

Cuffy Meigs on January 30, 2008 at 10:47 PM

It boggles my mind the amount of cognitive dissonance it must require to mentally accept that.

p0s3r on January 30, 2008 at 10:48 PM

I think they shouldn’t invite them if that’s the thinking for the debate. …if they are invited, they should let them speak.

TX Mom on January 30, 2008 at 9:57 PM

I agree totally. It was embarrasing how they neglected Mike. People have every right to be outraged and the “venom should flow tomorrow like the mighty Mississip,” about this!!!!

apacalyps on January 30, 2008 at 10:48 PM

“There’s your answer—Fix it. And don’t give the next helpless victim of Arkansas’s generous public education system yet another carrot to come traipsing across the border.”

Federal Government’s job. A governor has to play the cards he’s dealt and that is what Huckabee did. In a reasonable and compassionate way.

Compassion…mean anything to you?

Al-Ozarka on January 30, 2008 at 10:49 PM

“I truly cannot comprehend how an American would be willing to confer special privileges & rights to an illegal immigrant that they would not be willing to confer to another American.”

If that Alabama kid actually MOVED to Arkansas and had an address, he/she would get IN-STATE privileges.

Al-Ozarka on January 30, 2008 at 10:50 PM

The Republican elite are trying to get Romney elected.

apacalyps on January 30, 2008 at 10:50 PM

It’s been fun.

Later.

Al-Ozarka on January 30, 2008 at 10:51 PM

Cuffy Meigs on January 30, 2008 at 10:52 PM

Al-Ozarka on January 30, 2008 at 10:50 PM

Just like that Guadalajaran kid MOVED to Arkansas. You make our point.

Cuffy Meigs on January 30, 2008 at 10:53 PM

apacalyps on January 30, 2008 at 10:45 PM

Anyone without a “D” next to their name (except those named Bloomberg, Paul, or Nader). I don’t really like any of the candidates.

I am voting for Romney in my primary. He’s a waffle king and has changed his positions like crazy, but then even Uncle Ronnie’s positions changed drastically between his governorship and his Presidency (he supported higher taxes and liberal abortion laws in CA). He’s tied himself to conservative positions and will lose if he tries to back away from them.

But I know what’s at stake if the Dems get in. We have to be clear about that. Obamarama and HRC will trash the country for good if they get in. Our guys will just back it into a guard rail and tear the fender.

So if it’s Romney, McCain, or Huck – I’m pulling the lever for them.

fiatboomer on January 30, 2008 at 10:53 PM

Anderson Cooper is not an honest reporter. If he says CNN is “The Best Political Team on Television” on more time…. ughh

apacalyps on January 30, 2008 at 10:54 PM

p0s3r on January 30, 2008 at 10:55 PM

The race has just happened to come down to the two of them and Mitt.

amerpundit on January 30, 2008 at 10:04 PM

Just happened to?

This race has been manipulated by media and the blogosphere.

c’mon…

apacalyps on January 30, 2008 at 10:56 PM

Governor Huckabee is not an establishment politician which is why they want to take him down—they can’t buy him. Please look at the motives behind people attacking someone before believing what they say. The Democrats fear Huckabee cause they know he can beat socialist Nurse Ratchet. And you “Republicans” are helping them by trashing a decent candidate to the detriment of your own nation!!

apacalyps on January 30, 2008 at 11:00 PM

This race has been manipulated by media and the blogosphere.

We are now controlling the transmission. We control the horizontal and the vertical. We can deluge you with a thousand channels or expand one single image to crystal clarity – and beyond. We can shape your vision to anything our imagination can conceive. For the next hour we will control all that you see and hear.

Cuffy Meigs on January 30, 2008 at 11:03 PM

It’s true like Rush says, “some of these supporters are like cult followers.. you cannot convince them of the truth, they don’t care about the truth”

Mcguyver on January 30, 2008 at 10:09 PM

Rush himself is being hammered for being an “indulgant” elite only worried about his pocketbooks. He is entitled to his opinion, but no matter how many times some “conservative” wins based on his checklist, the country goes much further left over the course of time. You’re his sheep Mcguyver. Good luck with that.

apacalyps on January 30, 2008 at 11:03 PM

Hey, just joking around!

Cuffy Meigs on January 30, 2008 at 10:10 PM

Sure. Uh huh. Ookaay.

apacalyps on January 30, 2008 at 11:05 PM

I would not have even invited the other two.

SimplyKimberly on January 30, 2008 at 10:17 PM

Huckabee is leading in several states. I would not want you as a judge in any event that required responsibilty and good judgment.

apacalyps on January 30, 2008 at 11:08 PM

Geronimo on January 30, 2008 at 10:44 PM

I hear you. That’s a clear list.

Spirit of 1776 on January 30, 2008 at 11:13 PM

Geronimo on January 30, 2008 at 10:44 PM

Made perfect sense to me. Round on me, one day.

RushBaby on January 30, 2008 at 11:14 PM

Spirit of 1776 on January 30, 2008 at 11:13 PM

Ha! Good to see you hear, old friend!

RushBaby on January 30, 2008 at 11:15 PM

er, see you HERE! Got my senses/tenses/or something, mixed up!

RushBaby on January 30, 2008 at 11:15 PM

F-That, I’m going down with Romney if that’s what’s to be.
I can’t vote for McCain. He’s just the wrong choice.
1. He’s old Washington.
3. He will degrade freedom of speech, i.e. McCain/Feingold.
Romney has no problem with Freedom of Speech.
4. He doesn’t know about the economy.
5. He gives vague answers.

Geronimo for Romney 08

Juan McCain’s key Phrases:
Reagan foot soldier
Pork barrel spending
I was there with Jack Kemp, yada, yada.
Reagan Revolution.
It’s not amnesty.
It won’t come to a vote.
I just don’t get it and I’m sick of voting for the lesser of two evils. I know this is like pissing in Lake Michigan but I have three things as an American who gives a shit.
I have my Vote and I use it.
I have my voice and I annoy people with it.
I have my wallet and I pay attentio0n to who I DON’T give money to. I’m talking to you Miller!!!

Geronimo on January 30, 2008 at 11:19 PM

apacalyps on January 30, 2008 at 10:48 PM

Yeah I’m with you, so broken up. How come you left me standing by the curb the other night with my bags packed, all ready to go to Washington DeeCeeckabee? I could have turned around the opinion of all of Hot Air, if only my ride had showed up on time. Jilted convert not so happy over here!

RushBaby on January 30, 2008 at 11:19 PM

RushBaby on January 30, 2008 at 11:15 PM

Back atcha.

Spirit of 1776 on January 30, 2008 at 11:20 PM

Sorry I added that again. I’ve had a few , you know?
Cheers people!

Geronimo on January 30, 2008 at 11:20 PM

Geronimo on January 30, 2008 at 11:19 PM

HELL YEAH

RushBaby on January 30, 2008 at 11:21 PM

I’ve had a few , you know?

Debates will do that to you. Cheers!

Spirit of 1776 on January 30, 2008 at 11:22 PM

SimplyKimberly on January 30, 2008 at 10:31 PM

That’s right. But, as important you must turn away from sin and turn to God. Desire to have NOTHING to do with sin, and surrender your life to the One who can save you (Acts 3:19).

Look, I’m not your judge. I often give that little test to those who say “I’ma Christian, but I hate Mike Huckabee!” because most people won’t answer back like you did, maybe it’s because they aren’t really Christian and use it as a weapon against Huck.

apacalyps on January 30, 2008 at 11:24 PM

we applaud CNN

Cuffy Meigs on January 30, 2008 at 10:38 PM

You “applaud” CNN?

Oh my, it’s worse than I originally thought.

apacalyps on January 30, 2008 at 11:29 PM

This race has been manipulated by media and the blogosphere.

Yeah, we’ve been hugely influential. We typed and argued while all our our candidates disappeared.

The award for best pop culture reference on a political thread goes toCuffy!

Dorvillian on January 30, 2008 at 11:29 PM

Weren’t you calling me a Bolshevik a while back, comrade?

Cuffy Meigs on January 30, 2008 at 10:44 PM

Sure, you condone CNN ‘s actions tonight. They did what MSNBC did. Thwarted Huckabee’s chances. Cheated is the word. That is communism.

MSNBC admits it own bias

Total Speaking Times
Romney: 21:11, during 13 times
McCain: 16:00, during 13 times
Giuliani: 13:50, during 11 times
Huckabee: 12:11, during nine times
Paul: 6:31, during six times

apacalyps on January 30, 2008 at 11:34 PM

fiatboomer on January 30, 2008 at 10:53 PM

I can respect that. At least you admit this.

But I know what’s at stake if the Dems get in.

Romney can’t beat Hillary only huckabee can. He’s already done it 4 times.

So if it’s Romney, McCain, or Huck – I’m pulling the lever for them.

Fair enough.

apacalyps on January 30, 2008 at 11:37 PM

For the next hour we will control all that you see and hear.

Cuffy Meigs on January 30, 2008 at 11:03 PM

I keep hearing, “We support a Hucka Hucka burnin’ love!”

apacalyps on January 30, 2008 at 11:39 PM

Sure, you condone CNN ’s actions tonight.

Damn straight — I didn’t want to waste time with Huck’s cloying yarns and bromides. Like Paul, Thompson, Tancredo, Brownback and Giuliani, he’s an also-ran & shouldn’t be on stage.

Cuffy Meigs on January 30, 2008 at 11:42 PM

And we’re supposed to give your statements weight when you support Flip-Romny Pandermaster?

Al-Ozarka on January 30, 2008 at 10:02 PM

I can see why people wouldn’t trust Romney. That’s one big reason I was originally for Fred.

But I don’t think we’ve reached a point where supporting Romney discredits any other statements you might make.

Hint: The answer to both questions is, “Yes”

theregoestheneighborhood on January 31, 2008 at 2:02 AM

He is the least of all evils at this point.”

Didn’t you hear? Fred was in it FOR McCain!
….
Al-Ozarka on January 30, 2008 at 10:12 PM

You’re confusing speculation with facts. Worse, you’re going out of your way to attack someone who is no longer in the race. Do you think trying to destroy her past loyalty to Fred will convince her to stop supporting Romney and switch to Huckabee? Seriously?

Or is this just bitterness talking?

I’m with you on one thing. Some of the attacks on Huckabee have been unfairly about his faith. But I have the same faith that he claims, and I have no intention of voting for him.

He’s a classic demagogue. The moment he was criticized by Rush, he tried to shoehorn Rush into being a part of some elite who were out to get him. Shades of Hillary’s “vast right wing conspiracy!” He promises tax relief, but his actions show tax hikes. Where most evangelicals believe in law and order, and reserving pardons and clemencies for real miscarriages of justice, Huckabee released tons of criminals. He claims to follow the right broad principles, but he abandons those principles when he gets to the details. He’s for prosecuting the war on terror, but he’d close Gitmo to appease world opinion. He’s against big government, but he’d try to push through a smoking ban. He seems dangerously ill-informed on foreign policy. He pandered to the press by saying Bush had an “arrogant bunker mentality” on foreign policy, then when confronted with the quote from an article with his name on it, tried to disclaim all ownership.

All told, in spite of those occasions where Romney has been caught lying, I can’t see where Huckabee is any more honest.

Unfortunately, of the 3 who are left in the Republican race, there isn’t one I would just trust. Fred could be trusted, but he’s gone. Giuliani was half-liberal, but he was completely honest about it. But he’s gone now too.

theregoestheneighborhood on January 31, 2008 at 2:33 AM

“Huckabee was right that Mormons believe that Jesus and Lucifer are spirit brothers, but that obviously had nothing to do with running for president. So why bring it up? Demagoguery?”

It wasn’t part of the record…will you admit that? It was a mention to an interviewer between taping.

It’s folks like YOU who have made a big deal over a non-story.

But that seems to be common around here these days.

Al-Ozarka on January 31, 2008 at 7:13 AM

“To borrow your phrasing, “And we’re supposed to give your statements weight when you support Huckaschmuck the populist demagogue?””

Huckabee is by far the most open and honest canddate in the race…has been all along.

Al-Ozarka on January 31, 2008 at 7:14 AM

“Incorrect. The Alabama kid has to establish legal residency before he/she qualified for in-state tuition. Until then, he/she still has to pay out-of-state tuition. Note the requirement for establishing legal residency.”

Wrong.

Note that any kid with a legal address (including children of illegals) can have in-state privileges.

Al-Ozarka on January 31, 2008 at 7:18 AM

“Bull. He made the decision to dangle the carrot, not the Feds. They left the gate open. And if what he does as a state executive can be extrapolated into what he would do as a federal executive, then no thanks.”

Blame it all on the guy who had to figure out a way to accomodate the incompetence of the Feds. That’s objective.

Shall we talk about Romney’s experience with illegals?

He hired them…payed their salaries. Pitiful display of bad judgement.

Al-Ozarka on January 31, 2008 at 7:22 AM

“I am voting for Romney in my primary. He’s a waffle king and has changed his positions like crazy, but then even Uncle Ronnie’s positions changed drastically between his governorship and his Presidency (he supported higher taxes and liberal abortion laws in CA). ”

So…what’s your beef with Huckabee then, Boomer?

You make a great case for voting for the non-flip-flopper, Huckabee, over the flip-flop king, Romney.

Or is it actually his faith?

You just made the case that Huckabee is the MOST reaganesque of any of the candidates…do you even realize it?

Al-Ozarka on January 31, 2008 at 7:25 AM

Thwarted Huckabee’s chances.
apacalyps on January 30, 2008 at 11:34 PM

Absolutely proper to do too. We don’t need that gibot and his politics of religion, class warfare, and identity politics in this conservative party.

csdeven on January 31, 2008 at 8:17 AM

Have we forgotten that Mitt worked closely with Ted Kennedy to give Mass. socialized medicine, er mandates, not to mention state subsidized abortions. They are both tools of the left. Just that one is relatively authentic and the other hired someone to read the righty blogs to get down the right rhetoric that he delivers with all the slickness of a car salesman. If the car salesman is the best last chance of conservatism, kiss it good bye.

tommylotto on January 31, 2008 at 9:06 AM

Incorrect. In order to get in-state tuition, you must establish legal residency. Dude, if you have ever gone to college, or tried to go to an out of state school, you would know this.

p0s3r on January 31, 2008 at 9:32 AM