Now more than ever: Nader 2008!

posted at 3:14 pm on January 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

As one silky populist pony exits, a mangy old Clydesdale limps in to take his place. Dare we dream?

Ralph Nader has formed a presidential exploratory committee, and said in an interview Wednesday that he will launch another presidential bid if he’s convinced he can raise enough money to appear on the vast majority of state ballots this fall.

Nader, who ran as an independent candidate in each of the past three presidential elections, told ABCNews.com that he will run in 2008 if he is convinced over the next month that he would be able to raise $10 million over the course of the campaign — and attract enough lawyers willing to work free of charge to get his name on state ballots…

“When Kucinich threw in the towel, now you have Edwards gone — who’s going to carry the torch of democratic populism against the relentless domination of powerful corporations of our government?” Nader said.

Who indeed? It’s a measure of how far left Silky truly was (or pretended to be) that he managed to draw Nader’s support, as the whole raison d’etre for fringe types like this guy is that mainstream candidates, almost by definition, are “sellouts” who traded their radical cred for political power. Candidates like Hillary. And … Obama?

“His record in the Senate is pretty mediocre,” Nader said. “His most distinctive characteristic is the extent to which he censors himself. He hasn’t performed as a really progressive first-term senator would.”

His “self-censorship,” Nader said, “is a reflection of character.”

Somewhere Chris Matthews clutches his chest. Exit question one: Democrats wouldn’t dare repeat the mistake of 2000, would they? It can’t happen … unless disaffection with Hillary’s sliminess so alienates the left that they’re forced to go the Paulnut route by throwing their vote away on a vanity candidacy. Keep hope alive! Exit question two: If Obama wins the nomination, this tool doesn’t dare disturb the Narrative by sandbagging him from the left, does he? C’mon. And exit question three: How can the man responsible for the Virginia Tech massacre ever hope to win election? The wounds are still so fresh.

Comments

One can only hope!

ConBlog_NH on January 30, 2008 at 3:15 PM

Heck I vote for Nader before I vote for Hiltlery…..

Charger73 on January 30, 2008 at 3:17 PM

In the very likely event that a Nader spoiler campaign fails:
Bobby Jindal in 2012!

corona on January 30, 2008 at 3:17 PM

Donation link? :-)

amerpundit on January 30, 2008 at 3:19 PM

Nader, you ROCK! Get in there, and split that lefty vote good!

Frozen Tex on January 30, 2008 at 3:21 PM

Ralph Nader didn’t want to kill Terri Schiavo.

ninjapirate on January 30, 2008 at 3:22 PM

I thought that was what Obama was doing???

bnelson44 on January 30, 2008 at 3:24 PM

go ralph go! where do i donate?

therightwinger on January 30, 2008 at 3:24 PM

My boss this morning said, with his usual tone of jokester, that he was voting for Ralph Nader come November.

This should be fun news for him.

MadisonConservative on January 30, 2008 at 3:26 PM

“When Kucinich threw in the towel, now you have Edwards gone — who’s going to carry the torch of democratic populism against the relentless domination of powerful corporations of our government mind-boggling lunacy?” Nader said

Fixed it for him.

Frozen Tex on January 30, 2008 at 3:26 PM

In other news, Ralph Nader was recently charged with reckless driving.

The officer said he was “unsafe at any speed”.

/stupid joke

Hawkins1701 on January 30, 2008 at 3:26 PM

go ralph go! where do i donate?

therightwinger on January 30, 2008 at 3:24 PM

The ABC News article states the website, but not sure if I should link.

I only say that because I’m thinking of sending in a little, oh, incentive myself.

amerpundit on January 30, 2008 at 3:27 PM

In the very likely event that a Nader spoiler campaign fails:
Bobby Jindal in 2012!

corona on January 30, 2008 at 3:17 PM

fusionaddict on January 30, 2008 at 3:28 PM

Hilarious. The Dems will never be the same after this election. Just when you think it can’t get any uglier, Ralphie decides to throw his hat in the ring.

Rick on January 30, 2008 at 3:28 PM

Nader Raider!!!

Time to pillage some votes!!

ej_pez on January 30, 2008 at 3:28 PM

This is an independant I welcome; someone just make sure Perot is still hog-tied and gagged in the basement…

Frozen Tex on January 30, 2008 at 3:29 PM

I don’t get it. I thought Conservatives are worried the Republican will win.

JiangxiDad on January 30, 2008 at 3:30 PM

Is the VRWC ™ not funding him this time?

Frozen Tex on January 30, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Hawkins1701 on January 30, 2008 at 3:26 PM

See, I was gonna go with ‘Ralph Nader: unhinged at any speed.’

James on January 30, 2008 at 3:31 PM

one silky populist pony exits, a mangy old Clydesdale limps in

If you’d ever met a Clydesdale, you would have chosen a different comparison. Mule, perhaps, or camel. Perhaps even Jackass.

But not Clydesdale – far to powerful, well mannered, intelligent, useful, and even beautiful.

peski on January 30, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Off topic…

Is anyone else listening to Sean Hannity totally flip flop and talking about how the Republican party needs to “modernize”…saying “Not everything that Ted Kennedy says is bad” and ” We should be helping our fellow man (referring to immagration), maybe we’re not listening to our electorate”. Essencially saying we should imbrace amnesty and McCain because it’s the less of 2 evil when it comes to winning the election.

Man’s more worried about winning than principles it would seem.

Joek7132 on January 30, 2008 at 3:32 PM

See, the dude offers incentives on his site. Donate $300 today and you’ll get the Moonbat Combo Pack:

-Michael Moore’s new DVD – Sicko
-Unreasonable Man on DVD
-Free Lunch: How the Wealthiest Americans Enrich Themselves at Government Expense
-Gotcha Capitalism: How Hidden Fees Rip You Off Every Day and What you Can Do About It
-All The Shah’s Men: An American Coup and the Roots of Middle East Terror

amerpundit on January 30, 2008 at 3:33 PM

SECOND LOOK AT HARD LIQUOR!

SkinnerVic on January 30, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Man’s more worried about winning than principles it would seem.

Joek7132 on January 30, 2008 at 3:32 PM

Politics is the art of compromise. Those who don’t compromise end up like Nader.

bnelson44 on January 30, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Looks like he might be a Greenie with Miss Cynthia.

Green Campaign 2008 Presidential Candidate Forums
DC / Maryland / Virginia Forum
Saturday, February 2, 2008
10:00 am

Brat on January 30, 2008 at 3:35 PM

A Nader/Kucinich ticket would be a wonderful receptacle for bad votes, wouldn’t it?

Blacklake on January 30, 2008 at 3:36 PM

Blacklake on January 30, 2008 at 3:36 PM

Is that impossible? Nader did say:

amerpundit on January 30, 2008 at 3:37 PM

SECOND LOOK AT HARD LIQUOR!

SkinnerVic on January 30, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Took the second look awhile ago… 3rd, 4th, 5th…

Frozen Tex on January 30, 2008 at 3:38 PM

Blacklake on January 30, 2008 at 3:36 PM

Like a test… “Oh, you voted for Nader/Kucinich? Well, you obviously have no idea what you’re doing; I’m sorry, no more voting for you!”

Frozen Tex on January 30, 2008 at 3:40 PM

I hope he goes full out on the green angle (latest huge fad) to shore up admiration from enough crazy lefties to put a sizeable dent in the dems. If anything could do it, that would be it.

And then we would get to watch Al Gore squirm as doesn’t endorse the “greenest” candidate.

Grafted on January 30, 2008 at 3:41 PM

LOL! Your inspired wit is one of the reasons I like reading HA, AP.

jaime on January 30, 2008 at 3:42 PM

I’d be willing to help Nader in Arizona . . . unless McCain ends up being the Republican nominee. I’m not willing to do anything to get Juan elected.

AZCoyote on January 30, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Again, I insist that I’d rather see Clinton or Obama in the whitehouse than let McCain redefine conservatism.

Ludwig on January 30, 2008 at 3:44 PM

See, I was gonna go with ‘Ralph Nader: unhinged at any speed.’

James on January 30, 2008 at 3:31 P

Considering that Ralph Nader, from what I understand, doesn’t drive himself anywhere, and is very meticulous about being chauffeured around, I’ll give the nod to your joke.

It’ll be in my stand-up routine tonight. :-)

Hawkins1701 on January 30, 2008 at 3:44 PM

Heh! Where do I donate.

ronsfi on January 30, 2008 at 3:44 PM

Bobby Jindal in 2012!

corona on January 30, 2008 at 3:17 PM

I like! Day one Bobby had all the Gov. workers out (in the sun light) introducing themselves to the people, and everything is going to be online in the open for everyone to see. He is already proving to be a breath of fresh air.
sorry to get off topic Allah

abinitioadinfinitum on January 30, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Another poll option other than McCain,Clinton,Obama or stay home…………Naaa!

captivated_dem on January 30, 2008 at 3:46 PM

Heh! Where do I donate.

ronsfi on January 30, 2008 at 3:44 PM

Here’s his website.

amerpundit on January 30, 2008 at 3:47 PM

Off topic…

Man’s more worried about winning than principles it would seem.

Joek7132 on January 30, 2008 at 3:32 PM

Wow.

I’m going to need to hear this.

Worth a blog spot, Bryan or AP? ;-)

Hawkins1701 on January 30, 2008 at 3:47 PM

….there’s no f’n way this is really going on with Hannity!

“What do we care about the Death Tax when we’re dead”

“People wanted campaign reform to stop these dirty attack ads, the Fiengold deal was well intentioned”

“Global Warming resonates with the people, we…”the conservatives” need to monderizes to the electorate”

….This is just insane. I hope he’s just playing a card to rile up a fire in conservatives to see a hardcore pundit caving in on every f’n issue.

I’ll bet that’s it. There’s NO WAY this is for real.

Joek7132 on January 30, 2008 at 3:49 PM

ALERT!!! ANYONE WHO CAN, LISTEN TO SEAN HANNITY RIGHT NOW! HE HAS GONE TO THE OTHER SIDE! I REPEAT, HE HAS GONE TO THE OTHER SIDE!!

kcd on January 30, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Nader/McKinney!

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on January 30, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Wow.

I’m going to need to hear this.

Worth a blog spot, Bryan or AP? ;-)

It’s probably just BS, but if it’s for real then it’s huge (in my opinion). He’s saying that Florida was the defining moment for the conservative vote to shine and it didn’t so that we need to adapt NOW to get to general positions of McCain if we want to be in the whitehouse.

My huge problem is that with his flipping here, is his “listening to the majority” going to have him telling us to withdrawl from Iraq too????

Definitely worth a listen.

Joek7132 on January 30, 2008 at 3:52 PM

AHHHHH Okay. He WAS JOKING.

I damn near crapped myself.

Joek7132 on January 30, 2008 at 3:55 PM

OMG! The sky is falling!

kcd on January 30, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Can we get buchanan on the ballot as well?

lorien1973 on January 30, 2008 at 3:56 PM

AHHHHH Okay. He WAS JOKING.

I damn near crapped myself.

Joek7132 on January 30, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Are you serious? Was he trying to make a point? (I had to stop listening for a while)

kcd on January 30, 2008 at 3:58 PM

What about Cynthia McKinney?

Geronimo on January 30, 2008 at 3:59 PM

If Romney is nominee, I can support a Nader candidacy. But I don’t want an awful Republican followed by a Democrat.

thuja on January 30, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Joek7132 on January 30, 2008 at 3:55

kcd on January 30, 2008 at 3:58 PM

Someone mind explaining all this?

bnelson44 on January 30, 2008 at 3:59 PM

He was pretending to change he views based on the McCain election as he would say “To prove to the media, who’ve been saying it’s the end of conservativism, that we won’t waver from our ideals” and just wanted to get everyone riled up with his charade.

Joek7132 on January 30, 2008 at 4:08 PM

bnelson44 on January 30, 2008 at 3:59 PM

bnelson44, see joel7132 @ 3:39

This is what Hannity was spouting just abot a half hour ago.

kcd on January 30, 2008 at 4:08 PM

Joek7132 on January 30, 2008 at 4:08 PM

Boy did he ever! I had to quit listing for a little while and din’t hear the gotcha! I really thought Sean had lost his mind!

kcd on January 30, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Sean just got back and talked about bloggers “should pull down their posts”, not getting what he was saying. He laughed.

amerpundit on January 30, 2008 at 4:09 PM

What about Cynthia McKinney?

Geronimo on January 30, 2008 at 3:59 PM

She’s there in my link in earlier post of Greenies

Candidates

Jared Ball *
Jesse Johnson
Cynthia McKinney *
Kent Mesplay
Ralph Nader **
Kat Swift *
*Invited but attendance not confirmed at time of printing.
** Not a declared candidate as of printing. Invited but attendance not confirmed.

Brat on January 30, 2008 at 4:10 PM

Sorry I jumped too soon… I have just been so wrapped up in this McCain thing that I really freaked out. Sorry again.

kcd on January 30, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Thank god he put Newt on to calm my nerves. Would God please do me a favor and make him the VP? Please God? PLEASE!?

Joek7132 on January 30, 2008 at 4:11 PM

You know, Sean might have a talent for Hollywood.(Not that he would ever go there) He really had me convinced.

kcd on January 30, 2008 at 4:13 PM

kcd on January 30, 2008 at 4:11 PM

I didn’t hear it at the time, but you’re obviously not the only one who took him seriously. He said he was getting emails, and said bloggers should take down posts taking his speech the wrong way.

amerpundit on January 30, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Brat on January 30, 2008 at 4:10 PM

Aha, my bad.
You know, off topic, why don’t we just steal an election? If McCain wins we’ll be accused of it anyway. Just sayin.
Hoping against hope for Romney.

Geronimo on January 30, 2008 at 4:18 PM

amerpundit on January 30, 2008 at 4:17

I think he will probably play this tonight on his show. It was VERY convincing! People were freaking out! You can probably listen to the archives tomorrow. Wow…just wow.

kcd on January 30, 2008 at 4:20 PM

I honestly hope both Ron Paul and Nader run. They’ll suck so many votes out of the most hated Democrats that Maverick will be laughing all the way to his throne room.

Darth Executor on January 30, 2008 at 4:26 PM

Finally! Someone for those dispirited conservatives to vote for whose votes would’ve otherwise gone to Hillary or Obama in protest.

Thank you, Mr. Nader, you’re the shiznit! How do I contribute to your candidacy?

CliffHanger on January 30, 2008 at 4:31 PM

CliffHanger on January 30, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Are you a lawyer who will work for free? I think that is where his problem will be.

kcd on January 30, 2008 at 4:47 PM

If Nader does run, he’d better look over his shoulder often and make sure his bodyguards are nearby at all times. Hillary is determined to win and won’t like his funneling any votes from her. After all, she deserves it.

She may deserve something after spending all these years putting up with Billy Jeff, but I sure don’t know what.

Sloan Morganstern on January 30, 2008 at 4:53 PM

I liked Nader in 2000 but hes become such a pronounced socialist crank that now I can’t consider him for anything more than a punchline.

PolitiNOOB on January 30, 2008 at 5:31 PM

Too lazy to read the rest but I really LOLed @

RightWinged on January 30, 2008 at 5:31 PM

Free therapy?

TX Mom on January 30, 2008 at 5:33 PM

Yeah! If only someone would put in National Health Care. And include mental health care.

Sloan Morganstern on January 30, 2008 at 6:05 PM

Since Ron Paul will most likely run as an independent candidate, Nader will simply be balancing him out on the left.

Seixon on January 30, 2008 at 6:23 PM

Is it interesting who’s support he needs?

Resolute on January 30, 2008 at 6:25 PM

I have a buddy who runs a book store and knows Ralph Nader through having him do book signings (even though he doesn’t agree with him). He said Nader told him that he doesn’t think he split the Dem vote in 2000 and that he gets equal numbers from BOTH parties! Is he on crack or what?

That being said, NADER ’08!

Tony737 on January 30, 2008 at 7:03 PM

Run, Ralph, Run!

Psycheout on January 30, 2008 at 7:07 PM

Go, Ralph Go!

conservnut on January 30, 2008 at 7:10 PM

Look, people can joke to no end about Nader, Edwards, and Dennis, but the fact of the matter is that millions of Americans-often described by even myself as moonbats or nutjobs-are alienated, frustrated, and not represented. They deserve to be represented as much as the people on the far right do (gag). If there is to be any hope of getting anything done in DC it’s gonna happen via a unilateral takeover of both houses of Congress, the WH, and the Supreme Court with enough power to ramrod anything upon us sans checks and balances. OR it will happen via bi-partisan unity, and that unity can’t happen without eliminating the en masse alienation. I wish Dennis had stayed in-not because I agree with the little Keebler on any level, but at least when he was in people weren’t as alienated and lost as the far left is and as the far right is on course to being.

scottm on January 30, 2008 at 8:01 PM

Ralph would be a tough vote but damn, Hillary just aint gonna happen.

johnnyU on January 30, 2008 at 8:11 PM

Karl Rove, you genius!

Rode Werk on January 30, 2008 at 8:13 PM

how many sandbags are gonna pile up here? you know that Ron Paul is going to run on the independent ticket… the Bloomberg, now Nader…

Kaptain Amerika on January 30, 2008 at 8:18 PM