Michelle tells Glenn Beck: I won’t vote for McCain over Hillary

posted at 4:25 pm on January 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

“Not at this moment,” she says, leaving herself a teensy bit of wiggle room. Civil war within the Hot Air family? I fear the worst, my friends.

Take your pick: 16 minutes of audio or the quickie transcript. The meatiest stuff is in the last few minutes of the second clip, but if you missed the uproar over Juan Hernandez and Jerry Perenchio, settle in and listen to it all. They’re a particularly egregious stain on an already egregious immigration record. Like she says, America needs to know.

CPAC is going to be awesome this year.

Update: “McCain Derangement Syndrome”?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

How did it come to this??? I’m hoping Romney can stop McLame’s trash talk express.

Mojave Mark on January 31, 2008 at 1:56 AM

Well folks here it is in a nutshell.

Everyone kept telling me in 2004 that I was nuts for voting the CONSTITUTION PARTY and not voting for George Bush. But I am a bit of a politial junkie and even back tehn I could no longer fathom the “lesser of Two evils” option. Additionally I could see where he was headed on immigration. And each time the GOP, Conservatives, evangelicals etc, help the lesser of two evils to win the are giving affirmation that the candidates s”slide to the left” is 1)Correct, 2) Desired by constituents and 3) some sort of stinkin validation for their departure from long-held pparty principles and some sort of Damned mandate that being in the center or left is what Americans want. So now people are considering voting for McCain who is even less of a conservative than the moderat George Bush…insane people…”when you change the founding principles of an organization (in this case I will apply it to the reagan Revolutionaries…of whom I am part)…you announce its doom!~ Folks its time to Repudiate not Validate. Whether you do it by voting for Hillary/Obama, staying home, voting third party, or writing in Thompson (like I am doing) or some other conservative it doesn’t matter make your one vote a clear and concise message! I would love a brokered convention that ends up with Gingich, Thompson, Hunter, Tancredo matched up in any way getting the nomination and lighting the spark to the Renewal of Reagan Republicanism movement! Sure its painful to think how bad the four years might be but then all good things have come from oppression/persecution. Let Freedom Ring baby..let it ring. I will stand by the stuff and when the smoke clears, and the dust settles, and men of goodly character arise from the ashes I will be there to lead or follow…everyone else “get outa our way”! Dang I miss the optimism of Reagan…how about everyone here go to youtube and listen to his first inagural address one more time and re-focus!

RedLizard64 on January 31, 2008 at 2:02 AM

I wont vote for the man. I honestly think some people would indeed vote for Hillary if she changed the (D) to an (R) just to have a Republican in the WH regardless of what they actually stood for.

EnochCain on January 31, 2008 at 2:13 AM

Oh and as far as the talk about the GWOT goes whats the point of it when the terrorists can slip through the southern border?

EnochCain on January 31, 2008 at 2:15 AM

Masseys Missive

RedLizard64 on January 31, 2008 at 2:35 AM

Jesus wept.

Dear God. This used to be a pretty good blog.

No. Seriously. It really was. Thoughtful bloggers. Rational commenters. Reasoned discourse. Entertaining dialogue. Intelligence and wit. It was all here.

I swear I’m not making it up.

Peace.

Professor Blather on January 31, 2008 at 2:55 AM

Fine, vote to screw the military during a time of war. I suppose that makes her a real conservative hero.

funky chicken on January 30, 2008 at 10:18 PM

You want screwing the military, the Army and the Marines anyway?

When Crazy Old Juan was asked if it would be OK to keep American troops in Iraq for fifty years, he said “Make it a hundred!!!”.

Now that is screwing the military!

Time of war?

Most Americans are out shopping.

MB4 on January 31, 2008 at 3:14 AM

MB4:

You obviously don’t take the war on terror very seriously.

NuclearPhysicist on January 30, 2008 at 10:21 PM

What I don’t take very seriously is “NuclearPhysicist”.

MB4 on January 31, 2008 at 3:23 AM

Michelle Malkin and all of you posters who say that you won’t vote for John McCain over Hillary Clinton are damn fools showing an absurd amount of political immaturity and stupidity.

Phil Byler on January 30, 2008 at 10:23 PM

No, we just don’t have Abused Wife Conservative Syndrome.

You obviously do. with a masochistic desire for a lot more of it.

So sad.

Juan Plantation McShame wants to sell out America to plantation owners for campaign contributions or maybe even more just to give us the bird.

Screw him and the donkey he rode in on.

MB4 on January 31, 2008 at 3:31 AM

Truthfully, if McCain gets the nomination, I will vote Democrat in order to keep him from getting elected. I doubt either Hillary or Obama has the temerity to gut the First Amendment and that is how strongly I feel about keeping McCain from getting elected.

I had considered voting for the Constitution Party candidate, but think that an actual Democrat vote would be better to keep McCain from getting elected. It is depressing to even consider the options, though. It is amazing how far we have fallen in this country.

tballard on January 31, 2008 at 3:41 AM

but that we will absolutely vote McCain over Hillary or Obama, in a time of war, period.

Priscilla on January 30, 2008 at 11:23 PM

That “in a time of war” retort is becoming a canard.

For one thing thay vast majority of Americans are not at war, they are out shopping and will soon have, what another $600-$1200 to shop with? Why isn’t that $$$ going to the military?

Juan Plantation Strawberries “It’s not amnesty” McSurgo wants to keep American troops in Iraq for, “Make it a hundred years!!!”, while 20 million or probably more Mexicans have invaded the United States of America, we have a defacto serf class program in America for greedy plantation owners and our borders are wide open. Anyone who believes that he has reformed on that is a fracken lunatic.

MB4 on January 31, 2008 at 3:46 AM

The craziness in this blog is only a microcosm of the utter lunacy that the Republican Party has become, and the anguish that many of us are feeling at this moment.

Its hard to be “thoughtful” when the person who has caused more damage to the conservative cause than any single person one can think of (although many will point to our current very lame duck President) is on his way to being nominated by the very same Party that he has helped destroy.

It is a time for introspection and not servile acceptance of the hideous shipwreck that used to be the mighty conservative Republican Party, a mere 8 years ago. Asking people to vote against their conscience to “stop Hillary” or “vote for McCain or we’re all going to die in a horrible nuclear holocaust” is just scaremongering.

Over thirty five years ago, I was a newbie college student and I was railroaded by all my friends in voting for George McGovern, a person that I detested. The horror… I swore from that day forward, that I would never be railroaded again, and I just became a conservative Republican and kept to that pledge.

One doesn’t have to supply the well-known “laundry lists” of McCain’s liberal agendas; the thing that matters, I believe, is that conservatives relay the message that their votes are not freebies, and that, as our black fellow Americans are happily discovering, bloc votes are things that politicians have to earn and not merely take for granted.

TexasJew on January 31, 2008 at 4:45 AM

MICHELLE:

Oh, Michelle, my dear, I luv ya, your blogs, your TV presence, your normal grasp of reality, but hon, you just are MISSING an opportunity to think strategically.

OK, so the Lying POW wins the nomination. You’re saying you either wouldn’t vote, or vote for HILLARY?

Whatever happened to “Anybody BUT Hillary 2008″??? Think of it this way:

Option 1:

Hitlery in office for 8 nation-destroying years. Economy in shambles. Society perverse. Weakened intel, weakened military, weakened law enforcement. Jihadis get nukes. NY and DC (where you and both work and live) go BOOM-BOOM. We’re dead, our beloved families are dead. Jihadis win sooner rather than later.

Option 2:

Lying POW wins the election. Either quits after 4 years due to age or kicks bucket due to age before or early in 2nd term. Potentially conservative Veep gets sworn in. Or at least, at end of 1st term, Hitlery’s too old and decrepit to win. Barack vs. Veep. We still stand a chance of winning. But at least, jihadis somewhat held off for a while. (Assuming they don’t infiltrate with their nukes by getting across the border posing as Latinos, since Lying POW doesn’t seem to grasp that immigration security and counter-terrorism are tightly connected.)

Michelle…honey…PLEASE…strategize LONG-TERM here.

I’m NO FAN of McCain. This point in history is no time to shoot down a RINO when he’s not a truly committed communist like either Hitlery or B.O.

PLEASE.

Shirotayama on January 31, 2008 at 4:49 AM

Shirotayama on January 31, 2008 at 4:49 AM

McCain knows what he’s doing. McCain knows he hates conservatives. Kiss your first amendment privileges goodbye when he gets in. After being assaulted by Limbaugh and Talk Radio…he ain’t gonna forget. After Bush beat him in 2000 he went on talk show after talk show letting us all know what a dishonest campaign Bush ran. McCain ain’t gonna appoint a conservative VP either. He’ll appoint Lieb or Huck.

Now I agree with Michelle that we shouldn’t vote McCain, but I disagree with voting for Hillary. In all likelihood I would just vote Libertarian or Constitution Party.

CABE on January 31, 2008 at 4:56 AM

Bumper sticker;

The sky is falling, the sky is falling, the sky is falling!
Vote for McCain or the Earth will fall into the sun!

Some of the McCain supporters commenting here have almost gotten beyond parody. But not quite.

MB4 on January 31, 2008 at 5:01 AM

Anyone who believes that he has reformed on that is a fracken lunatic.

No one thinks he has reformed. At least I don’t. But current Bush has not reformed either, is as open-borders as McCain, yet has failed to push through his immigration agenda.

And we are at war. Anyone who does not believe that is a frackin lunatic.

Priscilla on January 31, 2008 at 6:59 AM

To belad re 10:45 PM Wednesday Post: you have repeated an error that I have seen before about equating Dole and Mccain. So I reply again, albeit belatedly (I went to bed after posting at 10:23 PM Wednesday).

The asserted equivalence of Dole ’96 and McCain ’08 does not work because the circumstances of the 1996 election and the 2008 election are very different. In the 1996 election, Dole had the unenviable task of running against an incumbent President in Bill Clinton at a time of apparent peace and prosperity and when Bill Clinton’s personal popularity was running high. In contrast, John McCain is shown in the polls as the one and only Republican who can beat the Democrats in 2008 after the George W. Bush Presidency. All other Republican candidates are shown as losing by wide margins to Hillary and Obama, with the widest losing margins against Romney.

There is, however, an equivalence of Dole and McCain worth noting, as I think you had in mind and which is worth spelling out. Both Dole and McCain are war heroes who are genuine patriots. I recommend to everyone to read Rick Atkinson’s second book in his WWII liberation trilogy, “Day of Battle,” about the Sicily and Italian campaigns in 1943 and 1944. The battle in Italy was awful, a sickening slugging match reminescent of WWI. Dole was very badly wounded in the fighting in Italy, so bad that he came back bed ridden and even after recovery had one arm paralyzed for life. Reading “Day of Battle,” you gain appreciation for what service Dole did in WWII. McCain, of course, was a Navy combat aviator who flew jets off and on carriers during the Vietnam War to conduct bombing missions over North Vietnam, which had one of the toughest air defense systems in military history. On the day that McCain was shot down, he took off from a carrier, flew over Hanoi and bombed a power plant there, was shot down by a surface-to-air missle, bailed out but was very badly injured when captured; he thereafter endured 6 years as a P.O.W. subjected to real torture by sadistic North Vietnamese guards.

Real conservatives are patriots.

Phil Byler on January 31, 2008 at 7:05 AM

CABE on January 31, 2008 at 4:56 AM

Dear CABE (and Michelle),

The reason I would politely, respectfully, yet still VEHEMENTLY oppose that line of thinking is that voting Libertarian or Constitution party becomes a throw-away vote. And when the result would be Hitlery or B.O. in the White House, I’ve got to oppose it by any means necessary.

Liberal in RINO’s clothing that Lyin’ POW is, he’s still not Hitlery. My position is ANYBODY but Hitlery. PERIOD. I simply can NOT justify tossing a vote somewhere in protest when it means the greatest enemny conservatives have ever known is occupying a position of power where she gets to spy on all of US and conduct a massive, nationwide WITCH HUNT. And if you think she won’t…you haven’t read up much on the witch hunts she conducted when she was only FLOTUS.

To me, it’s a matter of degree. I fully acknowledge that Lyin’ POW truly is a liberal wearing a RINO suit, and I’m no fan of his. There’s still a difference between his degree of liberal-ness, and hers (Or B.O.’s, for that matter).

To me, that matter of degree…and preventing Hitlery from occupying the building just one door down from me (yes, I work in one of the two buildings immediately surrounding the WH)…is THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT objective I hold.

Shirotayama on January 31, 2008 at 7:45 AM

An Open Letter to McCain Supporters:

Dear Friends,

Please stop telling us that we need to shut up and get behind your candidate in the name of electablity. For many of us, nominating a candidate and voting for a President is much more than a political calculation. Thoughtful conservatives simply cannot vote for John McCain so stop demanding we abandon our principles and get on the trash talk express.

I won’t iterate the root reasons why John McCain is unfit for office (those reasons are well documented at this point) but the man has spent a career dismissing my views as wrong for America. Why in the Hell would I vote for him now? I see no difference between John McCain, Hillary Clinton, and Barak Obama and no amount of screaming that I HAVE to vote for McCain is going to change that.

I’ll vote for Romney in the primary but I will not, under any circumstances, vote for John McCain after he called me “unpatriotic” for not going along with his backdoor amnesty deal with the devil (aka Teddy Kennedy).

highhopes on January 31, 2008 at 8:58 AM

Brains AND beauty. God, I love Michelle.

Spanglemaker on January 31, 2008 at 9:00 AM

As an Arizonan who has had a belly full of john mccain, it was pretty easy for me to get behind mitt romney. i prefer his outsider status and business background. but if mccain wins the nom, as it now appears is very likely, i’ll hold my nose and vote for him in the general. he can be a stubborn, obnxoious jerk and puts entirely too much stock in praise from the NYT and the left for being a ‘maverick’, but on at least 3 core issues; cutting spending, the right to life and national security, we are in tune. that he’s admitted his immigration bill was rejected by the country and that he now understands that above all else the borders must first be secured, we can only hope he is sincere.

DrW on January 31, 2008 at 9:11 AM

As much as our impending (or continuing depending on how you look at it) war with Islam is an important issue when looking at candidates, immigration is at least as important. Every time I hear someone trying to talk down the argument for much more enforcement in immigration they completely overlook the reason why its so important. If you have a large portion of people in your country that maintain allegiance to an entity in preference over the state then you are actively delegitimizing the state. In our current environment as a nation this is more dangerous than people give it credit for. The whole idea boils down to a concept known as 4th generation warfare, and its pretty complex, but the endstate is that various forces act to delegitimize the state (whether intentionally or not) and as a result the state falls into chaos and is easily conquered. So by all means, let in some more gangs from El Salvador or a few million more Muslims and we’ll see how things pan out.

Sorry for the length…

blankminde on January 31, 2008 at 9:27 AM

Michelle and her team turned up heat and shined the light on a dynamic that disturbs me.

The amount that would vote for McCain and not Hillery is nice to show dedication to the party. But those that say if McCain is on the ticket they would not vote at all is really troubling because those votes are wasted and provide Hitlery a win without breaking a sweat.

McCain straight talk must be exposed as being double speak which is to agree with those who oppose you at the time to avoid any confrontation. His time in captivity in Washington has honed his ability to play along to get along.

At this point in the game the credibility of his ‘straight talk’ has evaporated, and the only way to straighten it out is to continue exposing the facts surrounding McCain’s strategy, and most importantly to shake the Republican/Conservative base awake by forcing them to see what is in store for them if they make the wrong decision to vote for McCain or not to vote at all. The time to vote is now and to vote for a candidate that can defeat Hitlery or Obama who both have nothing but demoralizing us into submission.

MSGTAS on January 31, 2008 at 9:28 AM

I find it difficult to have to take Michelle to task but somebody has to do it. I live near a big naval base. One of the retired navy fliers that I have gotten to know was a POW with John McCain. He has told me all about John McCain’s absolute courage under the most horrific circumstances. John McCain was flying his jets into the teeth of Soviet SAMs. Only the bravest men wanted those assignments. McCain’s arm was shattered, he was denied medical care and still he never wavered. He spent much of his four and a half years in constant pain, he was offered his release in return for issuing a statement condemning America and still John McCain never wavered, never compromised his integrity. This has to count for something. For anybody to say that there is little difference between McCain and the Clintons is a little daffy. The Clintons used the army and navy as props. The Clintons constantly made the troops march in front of the Clintons and salute them. This was despite the long record of hatred of the military on the part of the Clintons. This was despite the Clintons refusing to give our soldiers in Somalia the right to defend themselves. This was despite Clinton’s surrender in Somalia.
Yes McCain is wrong on some inside the beltways issues like campaign reform and he is wrong on some arcane tax issues. But he is the only means of stopping the Clintons. Don’t people realize just how much damage another eight years of the Clintons and their shadow government would do? Another round of Madelaine Albright as Secretary of State anybody?
MM is my absolute favorite but that interview with Bck is downright daffy.

Larraby on January 31, 2008 at 10:04 AM

Phil Byler on January 31, 2008 at 7:05 AM

Phil…
JM is not a conservative in any way, shape or form. Period. When comparing him to HRC there is very little difference. Does the word oligarchy come to mind in my tone? Haven’t you been reading the NEW news? I say, “ENOUGH OF THIS CYCLICAL MADDNESS”. We make our stand, here and now!
For the good of the nation.

jerrytbg on January 31, 2008 at 10:05 AM

blankminde on January 31, 2008 at 9:27 AM

Nicely put!

jerrytbg on January 31, 2008 at 10:10 AM

McCain has sold his honor. He lied about Mitt’s position on the surge. He is lying about McCain-Kennedy. Without honor what makes him a presidential candidate any different than Her Thighness?

Grayzel on January 31, 2008 at 10:17 AM

Larraby: more than a bit daffy, but great comment.

funky chicken on January 31, 2008 at 10:20 AM

Sorry, Michelle; in another timeframe, I would wholeheartedly agree with you. However, need I remind you that we are still at war? That our troops in the field will need someone to back them and not ‘suspend disbelief’ with their comanders? Do not the troops, who have sacrificed so much, warrent us keeping down our lunch long enough to vote for the best Commander-in-Chief among the unsavory possibilies?

michaelo on January 31, 2008 at 10:32 AM

funky chicken on January 31, 2008 at 10:20 AM

Judge men by what they do rather than what they’ve done. The past brings perspective on the man McCain was, but his present life is as a politician. His decisions as a politician are the one people are attacking, not his bravery or selflessness as a pilot. As a politician, the Clintons and McCain do share some similarities…and that was the point.

blankminde on January 31, 2008 at 10:35 AM

michaelo on January 31, 2008 at 10:32 AM

What really makes you think McCain is as strong on defense as he says he is? I honestly think that the surge working was a fluke. Just because McCain got lucky there doesn’t mean he has a record of understanding national negotiation. More importantly, his record gives me the impression that he would have a decidedly liberal agenda in handling foreign powers. I’m also not terribly impressed with his stance on “torture” for terrorists. You should see what we train for in SERE…waterboarding is a joke. I don’t know who the best person for POTUS is regarding war, but I’m comfortable saying it probably isn’t John.

blankminde on January 31, 2008 at 10:40 AM

Larraby on January 31, 2008 at 10:04 AM

I have deep admiration for JM in the service of our country. No small feat for him or any one person to endure. Saddens me. I also am a Vet and lost many friends in that war.
But times have changed. I won’t let his service get in the way and I suspect he is pandering, using that admiration we have for him, to further an open borders policy, etc etc

As for the Clintons, Bill blew it in the 90’s with regard to islamofascism. They want to edit, now, before they go to print, future history books to reflect a more aggressive stance against this enemy. Imho
With regards to other policies, there’s no difference. Again, imho.

jerrytbg on January 31, 2008 at 10:43 AM

I doubt either Hillary or Obama has the temerity to gut the First Amendment…
tballard on January 31, 2008 at 3:41 AM

Uh…tballard, I’m pretty sure they both support the reinstitution of the Fairness Doctrine. And the practical effect of that beats out McCain-Feingold any day of the week.

eeyore on January 31, 2008 at 10:44 AM

Here’s a simple fact: if you vote Democrat this year you are likely condemning millions of Iraqis to death. Just because you’re frustrated that McCain is a spineless weasel, don’t take it out on them. If you think that America should suffer for not demanding better leaders, that’s understandable. But for the love of humanity, don’t sentence millions of people to genocide because you want to throw a hissy fit. That goes for everyone here, including Rush and Malkin.

JohnJ on January 31, 2008 at 10:47 AM

Remember how we all scoffed when John Kerry admitted that politics were more important to him than the troops? How interesting to see some on the other side of the political divide seem to feel the same way.

funky chicken on January 31, 2008 at 10:54 AM

John J, and perhaps thousands of our own military people over there in harm’s way. It will become open season again (Khobar Towers, US embassy bombings, USS Cole) just like in BJ Clinton’s term, and the enemy will know that their acts of war will be treated like law enforcement problems.

But, yeah, everybody else stay home. It is your right as an American citizen to do what you wish with your vote.

funky chicken on January 31, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Thank you. My sentiments exactly.

Priscilla on January 31, 2008 at 10:57 AM

John McCain does not deserve the nomination of the Republican party, but he does deserve the nomination of the Democratic Party. He’s a throwback Democrat in RINO clothing.

davecatbone on January 31, 2008 at 11:09 AM

Sorry, but while I respect his service he isn’t the right man. This open border BS has all but ruined where I live. I’ll write in Romney before voting for any of these people. Not that it makes any difference which one wins in the end.

If McCain wins, I might as well find another state to live in. If Hillary wins, I might as well find another country. Either way, I’ll be looking for a new job. Anyone looking for a techie who can shoot? ; )

Suihei Deloi on January 31, 2008 at 1:01 PM

The ranting blather is reaching epic proportions.

A conservative who doesn’t vote for McCain out of ego-maniacal spite might be slightly exaggerating their importance in the grand scheme of things.

They also fail to recognize the real irony in someone who lectures about true conservatism and loyalty while promising to betray their party in favor of 8 more years of Clinton.

Listen to yourselves, folks. There’s still time to issue retractions.

Potfry on January 31, 2008 at 1:35 PM

And we are at war. Anyone who does not believe that is a frackin lunatic.

Priscilla on January 31, 2008 at 6:59 AM

We are not at war!

Bush justs got back from french kissing the saudi royalty.

Are you at war? Shopping does not count even if you have to fight with other customers to get the limited supply half off sale items.

Americans are out shopping. Well that and goofing in the internet.

MB4 on January 31, 2008 at 2:17 PM

while promising to betray their party in favor of 8 more years of Clinton.

Listen to yourselves, folks. There’s still time to issue retractions.

Potfry on January 31, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Hello. Is anyone home? The party, and in particular Juan Plantation McShamnasty, has betrayed us and is betraying us, and clearly so.

The only retraction I make as far as Wackjob Juan goes is that I am very sorry that I donated $$ to his campaign in 2000.

MB4 on January 31, 2008 at 2:35 PM

MB4,

Excuse me, but have you studied US history? Generally speaking, we civilians on the homefront have been allowed to shop and perform other day-to-day tasks, such as going to work, raising their children,etc., while the troops put their lives on the line to protect our ability to do those things.

Are you suggesting that we are NOT at war, because each and every one of us is not on a battlefield?

If so, then I can totally understand why you do not seem to comprehend the difference between McCain and Hillary as a potential Commander-in-Chief.

Priscilla on January 31, 2008 at 2:57 PM

MB4 My husband’s in the sandbox right now. I’m pretty sure he’s at war, even if you don’t believe he exists.

funky chicken on January 31, 2008 at 3:02 PM

For those who think the sky is falling if McCain is the nominee or even President, quit paniking.

1. The primaries are not over yet.
2. No matter who is President, the best way to get thing done it through our representatives. That was shown with the stopping of the “Shamisty” bill. The whole bunch was for it, including W.
3. I am not a McCain backer, but Billary as president? Please.

gstrickler on January 31, 2008 at 3:24 PM

One more thing. I wasn’t going to go here but on reflection, I must.

Michelle, I love you like a sister, and I must tell you that sometimes family needs guidance from the older brother.

My sister thought that she was doing me a favor by protesting the Vietnam war. And then she thought she was doing me a favor by voting to cut off funding to the South. You see, I was over there covertly when funding was cut. It wasn’t pretty. But I never said much. I really can’t say much. Years passed and my sister was pushing anti war BS to pull out of Iraq and backing Hillary. I could not stay quite any longer and I pulled out the pictures I have had packed away since the ’70′s of the carnage that took place after our troops left and we cut off funding. I showed them to my sister a couple months back. She left the room in tears and a few days later told me she had no idea.

Michelle, don’t push for Clinton over McCain and think you are doing anyone any favors.

gstrickler on January 31, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Not only will I not vote for mccain but if he picks crist or grahm as the vp and the democrat picks a hawk, I may vote for a democrat for the first time in my life.

peacenprosperity on January 31, 2008 at 4:06 PM

PEOPLE, PEOPLE, get hold of yourself. Alright, worst case; Hill or B.Hussein get elected. Mabe then the Repubs will take our party back from the Republicrats. There is a vast difference between the two, and I for one am no longer willing to compromise my conservative beliefs. McCain is the most vindictive man in politics. The only recent in memory was old Lyndon Johnson. When the SHAMNESTY bill was top news in AZ McCain would not go on any talk shows to explain or defend. At least our other senator, John Kyle, was willing to face the tough questions our citizens posed. Like MM I too will vote for HILL, or OBAMA and take my chances that we will get my party back in 4 years,if not 8 for sure.

pueblo1032 on January 31, 2008 at 4:32 PM

The election is still a long way off. Somehow I don’t think Democrats are going to be too enthusiastic about voting for Hillary or Obama by then. Either Hillary wins the nomination and the Obama fans will be disappointed and angry about her tactics, or Obama wins it and the sober half of the Democrats will realize he isn’t up to the job. Either way, they are going to have their share of voters who just don’t feel like voting for their nominee.

I just wish the Huckabee supporters would give up their hopeless cause right now, because he’s taking votes and delegates from Romney, yet there’s no way Huck can get the nomination. The only way to deny McCain the nomination is for all who can’t stomach him to support Romney now.
So if you don’t want to face the choice of McCain vs some other Democrat, and you’re helping Huck help McCain, think it over.

NellE on January 31, 2008 at 5:00 PM

Don’t you guys think it’s odd that John McCain, a decorated veteran and longtime Senator, evokes such ire and hatred in the party base? The same party that practically venerates veterans? Doesn’t that tell you what a divisive, unsatisfactory person he is (with regard to being President)?

If a Democrat wins the White House, the Congress will move to the middle. Hillary/Obama will seem so left and the country simply isn’t that left. So I don’t believe that the sky will immediately fall. I’m almost certain that we’ll win seats in 2010.

Also, Obama and Clinton refused to promise that troops would be home by 2012. In one of the debates they were asked this and only Kucinich (I think) said they would be home by then/before then.

With the surge working and Congress unable to defund the war up to this point – even when things were going poorly and Code Pink was breathing down their neck – there’s no way HO (pun intended) will pull out straight away.

Those of you who think McCain is great on the GWOT why do you think this? Because he is strong on Iraq (and has tried to take credit for the surge?). If you go to his site (I went there the other day), there is no mention of how to fight the GWOT. He talks about Iraq but while Romney talks about the larger war, McCain doesn’t.

Not only that, he wants enemy combatants to be brought to the US and Gitmo closed; that means they’ll get the same protection you and I get and a flock of liberal lawyers (or public defenders paid with our tax dollars) will be suing the government for mistreatment, appealing their verdicts, demanding Halal meals and foot baths in Supermax… if you think this is positive for the GWOT and national security, you’re ‘batty’. I don’t think waterboarding compares to withholding medical treatment and tightly tying your hands behind your back for hours, so he’s wrong on that, but I’m willing to give him a pass because of his experiences as a POW.

So the one thing people claim he really has going for him he doesn’t have going for him. Add to that his support of cap and trade (and you think the American auto industry is bad), campaign finance (which helps incumbents… surprise there), his comments to Russert that he would have signed the amnesty bill “but it won’t cross my desk” while he tells entrepreneurs that “If they want their damn fence I’ll build their damn fence” and then hires Juan “no borders” Hernandez and fail to admit McCain-Kennedy wasn’t amnesty… his cursing at Cornyn, McCain-Feingold, his animosity towards Rumsfeld… on and on and on.

So you say he’s against earmarks and HO wouldn’t be; he was in Congress for 20 years and he didn’t reform earmarks. If he pushed for earmark reform with as much zeal as he tried to ram illegal immigration down our throats, we wouldn’t have the spending problem we have now. Instead, he just doesn’t really play the earmark game, and points to that as proof of his ‘conservatism’.

I’m sorry… but anyone who thinks that Congress has to tighten its belt before I get my money back is a crook. It’s my money, CONGRESS is being irresponsible. The burden of proof should be on them. Perhaps going to a revised pre-Cromwell type situation would be better. The monarch called the Parliament into session when he/she needed money to run the government. How about Congress stops its earmark busy work and only meets to discuss war or money to keep government running?

The thing is, as much as I admire anyone who serves, I don’t OWE McCain the nomination/Presidency as a result of it. Those of you who complain that people told you to vote for Bush are probably the same ones now telling you to vote for Romney, remember that McCain is LEFT of the President. McCain didn’t support the tax cuts and wants to confer Constitutional rights on enemy combatants (by closing Gitmo). Think about it.

Romney, despite some of his reversals, has actually showed to be a true conservative in some ways. He wouldn’t give bennies to illegals and if you’re a family values person, he forced all same sex couples to prove residency before they could marry. He is pro-capitalism and lowered taxes; on another thread a Massachusets poster explained Romney care and it isn’t government run care, but shifts funds already used to bail out hospitals out towards insurance.

McCain’s career is littered with examples of how he has rudely thumbed his nose at GOP principles except for one – earmarks. Taking into account both of their flip-flopping, Romney has walked the GOP walk more than McCain. When he’s flubbed or changed his mind, he’s owned up to it; McCain won’t even ADMIT it was amnesty, for example.

So my husband and I are voting Romney; if McCain gets the nomination we’ll write in Romney. If you think that’s throwing our votes away fine. I don’t think voting for a good candidate even if you think he’ll lose is throwing anything away; I think its called principle.

I’m not ready to vote for someone who I disagree with 90% of the time just because he has the “R” designation. I have as much in common with conservative Dems. The argument just isn’t compelling.

Sorry for the length.

linlithgow on January 31, 2008 at 8:15 PM

I am a Republican. I have always voted for and supported the Republican nominee, going all the way back to Gerald Ford.

Today we saw the unveiling of a new party, the McCain-Schwarzenegger-Giuliani party. It is using the name Republican, but millions of actual Republicans know better. This is not the Republican Party. The Republican Party does not support trashing the First Amendment, denigrating free enterprise, surrendering our sovereignty to Mexico, and giving terrorists rights under our Constitution. Republican leaders do not spend more time sponsoring bills with Democrats than with other Republicans, or more time trashing Republicans than confronting Democrats.

Actual Republicans feel no obligation to vote for the nominee of this strange new party. He will be no closer to an actual Republican if elected than will Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama. And it is not we who are naive or intransigent or selfish; we are simply acting on our principles — you know, those things that John McCain utterly lacks.

rockmom on January 31, 2008 at 8:25 PM

I’m hoping Romney can stop McLame’s trash talk express.

Mojave Mark on January 31, 2008 at 1:56 AM

How ironic..

As you, this website and the rest of the Levin types name call..

And you call, him a trash talker.

Chakra Hammer on January 31, 2008 at 9:03 PM

I for one have already taken the “McCain Pledge” : I will not vote for John McCain under any circumstances. Even though those circumstances might mean President Mrs. Clinton.

There has to be a limit SOMEWHERE, if principles are to mean anything.

seanrobins on January 31, 2008 at 9:26 PM

Potfry on January 31, 2008 at 1:35 PM

No retractions… the party betrayed us.
I say again… only if BHO is a candidate will I vote.
Holding my nose and then… I’ll take a very long hot shower.

jerrytbg on January 31, 2008 at 9:38 PM

Shirotayama on January 31, 2008 at 4:49 AM

I’m not so sure that McCain is not a truly committed communist. He seems to support a “Dictatorship of the Proletariat” (where he plays Dictator and we’re the proletariat who should shut up and let him dictate), and he supports a collectivism which has us redistributing our money to illegal immigrants foreign invaders in the form of medical care, welfare, jobs, schooling, etc.

If this isn’t Communism, what do you call it???

landlines on February 1, 2008 at 12:38 AM

I do not have a Constitutional obligation to vote for a man I despise, even if I hate his competitor more.

To all of the “hold your nose and push the button” folks ….. does it really smell better if your hands are already stained with poop when you pinch your nose?

David in ATL on February 1, 2008 at 9:59 PM

Like I said under the Jackie Mason video clip re: McCain,

If it comes to deciding between Shrillary Klingon v McCain, and between His Holiness, the Savior of Mankind, the Messiah, Barak Obama v McCain, I will move to India, or maybe New Zealand!

I might stick around long enough to write-in any of the following persons:

Michelle Malkin. Next to my wife, and in a close tie perhaps with Dianne Irving, PhD who has written brilliant documents regarding Human Embryology, and Ethics related to abortion, Human Embryonic Stem Cell Research, Cloning, etc., debunking the false science, deception, etc. perpetrated by so many politicians and so-called “scientists” who are out of their fields in their promoting things they know little to nothing about, Michelle is among the most brilliant, most talented woman in regard to reasoning, clarity, journalism, communication skills, strong willed, level headed, and, although the left hates her, she is a most likable person.

Michelle has an air of warmth, congeniality, open-mindedness, balanced with a strong will, decisiveness, honesty, and ethics and values. She seems to care, and she seems to be quite reasonable. She stands her ground on that which she believes in, and, although she has occasionally become hot under the collar regarding some issues, and taken a lot of abuse from hate filled cooks of the left, she has always maintained dignity and civility.

Of course, she is well informed and has a penchant for getting to the bottom of a story, digging deep for the truth, and not being snowed by bogus, fabricated “stories.”

She has great qualities that would make her a great candidate for President.

Bruce Lee (Yes, he was born in the US, in San Francisco while his dad traveled with a Chinese Opera company), although he has passed away. Even dead he’ll make a better president than McCain, Shrillary, and The Savior of Mankind, Messiah, Bringer of Change, Obama. Snicker, snicker!

Kajol. I know, Bollywood-India actress, warm and charismatic and likable as she is, as talented as she is, she is not a US citizen that I know of, but she is among my favorite actresses in the world.

Marilyn vos Savant. I know that her world record IQ of 228 (100 is average) does not qualify her to be president, but if people falsely claim that Shrillary Klingon is the “Smartest Woman in the World” when it really is a toss up between My wife, smart enough to marry me, and lovable as all get out, humble as the day is long, but smart and sharp as can be, and Marilyn vos Savant, and perhaps a few other women who are truly smart like them, perhaps it makes sense to really get a legitimately smart woman, and not just s somewhat smart while also deceptive and soulless women in the White House.

Thomas Sowell. Wonderful author and thinker. Brilliant man.

I know, I know. Blacks will hate him because “his mind ain’t right” and “he doesn’t know what it is to be black” even though he has been black since birth. He is too smart, too bright, to well educated and reasonable for most lefties, liberals, Democrats, and race obsessed, race poisoned blacks, and Dr. Sowell is too uppity for any left leaning white racist Democrats.

He just doesn’t know his place.

He thinks for himself.

He’d be a great write-in vote candidate!

Professor Walter Williams. Again, too reasonable. Too brilliant. To uppity for white liberals – sneaky racists that they are, and black racist, race baiters, and race mongers. Good for the Conservative/Libertarian minded.

Larry Elder: Again. To uppity for leftist liberal whites who play the Race bean counting game. He doesn’t know his place in their eyes. And too “white” for racist blacks to support. Again, too bright, too accomplished, too vocal in speaking his mind, too strong willed, and thinks for himself.

Larry is a real go-getter. He cares! He used his own resources, not begging from the “Guvument” (spelling intentional) to start programs to help keep kids of the street, off drugs, out of violent gangs, and succeed in life, scholastically, achievment and goal oriented. Great guy who does not get enough praise or noteriety, and an entertaining author as well.

Yes, Larry Elder, Esquire, author, talk radio host.

Good guy, poison for leftists-liberals, but good for Conservatives/Libertarians.

Mike Adams, Professor of Criminology, UNC.

Way to smart and free spirited, fearless, and clever for the leftists-lilberals to understand, poison for Mind Police-Thought Police leftists, a bane on gun control freaks, deadly for Islamic Jihadis, and a crushing blow to male hating, hate filled, mentally deranged, divisive, up tight, thought police loving negative type “feminists.”

J. C. Watts, former Federal House of Representative member from Oklahoma.

Oh, the ACLU, atheists, and nasty racist would hate him! Too bad. He is a brilliant thinker, an excellent public servant, and a likable guy.

Again, an uppity black man who doesn’t know his place and whose mind ain’t right. He is patriotic, has conservative values, and does not seem to see a KKK mob hiding behind a tree holding a noose ready to make life a living hell for “minorities” but thinks things through for himself.

In other words, he ain’t no sheep!

Caution … he is an ordained minister. Oops! Can’t have not Bible believin’, Church goin’ Christian nut in the White House, unless that person is a Democrat!

J. C. Watts is an excellent speaker, gifted with a wonderful, melifluous voice.

I’ve admired J C Watts for years and I had hoped that he might have support and feel inspired to run and toss his hat into the ring. Alas, instead we have a nightmare about to unfold with McCain, Clinton, and Obama appearing to make this the most horrific, terrible election in baby boomer history!

Bobby Jindhal, newly elected Louisiana Governor. He IS a US citizen, born on Baton Rouge, LA, and a REAL so-called “minority” person of Asian Indian decent.

This man possesses a remarkable resume. Here is a brief sample:

1991 Graduates from Brown University with honors, in biology and public policy

1994 Graduates from Oxford University as Rhodes Scholar with a graduate degree

1994-1995 Advises Fortune 50 companies as a consultant for McKinsey and Company

1996 Appointed Secretary, Department of Health and Hospitals; rescues Louisiana’s Medicaid program from bankruptcy by turning a $400 million deficit into three years of surpluses totaling $220 million.

1998 Appointed Executive Director, National Bipartisan Commission on the Future of Medicare, a 17-member panel charged with devising plan to reform Medicare

1999 At the request of the Governor’s Office and the Legislature, volunteers his time to study how Louisiana might use its $4.4 billion tobacco settlement

Appointed President of the University of Louisiana System (16th largest in the U.S.)

2004 Elected to U.S. Congress, representing Louisiana’s first district

2006 Reelected to U.S. Congress

Current Lousiana governor.

(Info cited – bobbyjindal.com)

Here is a likable, warm, friendly, caring, intelligent, well educated fellow who has been a reliable individual in positions of responsibility, plus he cares and has shown it frequently.

He also lived through the racist attacks from phonies who cry “racism” every time they stub their toe, when all along they, themselves, are the real racists and haters!

Newt Gingrich. A briilliant man and innovative thinker with a wonderful attitude!

Those are just a few ideas.

Does anyone else have any write-in vote ideas?

William