Medved: Rush is acting like a liberal

posted at 10:35 pm on January 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

In which conservatives are condescended to exquisitely for caring about immigration (and campaign finance reform and waterboarding and pandering gestures towards lowest-common-denominator economic populism and, and, and) even though the Reagan coalition didn’t. Note to Medved: Being a tinge upset at Captain Amnesty for employing cringing bottom-feeders like Juan Hernandez isn’t a hallmark of liberalish irrationality. One can grit one’s teeth and support McCain over a Democrat to win the war, as I do, while also recognizing that he’s not only terrible on various issues important to the right but a royal jackass to boot, a fact proved repeatedly tonight by his knocking Romney unfairly first during the exchange over timetables and then again and again with little digs denigrating his distinguished private-sector career. Watch this clip and tell me, how is this guy any more or less than the Hugh Hewitt to McCain’s Romney?

Update: “Unlike Romney, McCain has built his political fortune on kicking people right of center in the teeth. Neither he nor Simon should be surprised when conservatives, libertarians and classic liberals fail to swoon at McCain’s success to date. Indeed, someone who thinks that is going to happen quickly is probably more deserving of being diagnosed with a ‘derangement syndrome.’”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The Fonz of Jewish Conservatives is jumping the shark.

AAAAAAaaaaayyyyyy !

silverfox on January 31, 2008 at 6:10 AM

Can’t we agree that if our favorite guy doesn’t get elected, our second choice is OK?

If the party trotted out Terri Schiavo as our nominee it would not be ok just because she had a damn R next to her name.

Everyone here condemning the majority of your party as nativists, haters, cryptoliberals, and idiots ought to remember that perhaps some people have, you know, principles that transcend the party. And “Obamillary is teh Devil!!” is not enough to get people to support for a crotchety old backstabber like McCain “for the party”. Some people can’t cast a vote for Stalin against Hitler knowing later that they voted for Stalin. And why should they? The evil ally of convenience, as in Stalin’s case, often ends up being many times worse.

I think it is actually a very good thing that this many people are not simply mindless tribal Republicans.

Lehosh on January 31, 2008 at 6:23 AM

To have so many of you ridiculing him and calling him names (ass clown, idiot, cretin) simply because he supports a candidate you don’t like is shameful and confirms what I’ve been thinking for some time. It’s become personal and that the nativist branch of the party are are as deranged as the far left of the democrats.

Patrick H on January 30, 2008 at 11:20 PM

Wow! McCain’s supporters sound just like… McCain! Smarmy and condescending to those on their right. What a very pleasant quality. I wonder why all those “nativists” haven’t fallen in love with him?

Lehosh on January 31, 2008 at 6:30 AM

Medved is still auditioning for his press secretary job. I’ve ignored him since he’s be shadowing McCain with his nose up his arse. Medved better hope that he gets the Washington job. As a talk radio host, he’s toast unless he gets a job at Air America.

orlandocajun on January 31, 2008 at 7:08 AM

It is understandable, but Rush and Michelle and Laura are being petulant. All of them are very smart and it will pass.

Hey folks, while core values and ideas can last forever, politics is merely a business. People that believe in core values don’t change with the election cycles, rather they use the elections to move their agenda forward as much as possible, even if that means it just not reversing.

Rush has been very clear on one thing because despite this, he gets it; and that is that there will be more elections and so we move ahead as we can.

Frankly, the situation with the Islamist terrorists is much worse than most people are aware of and the insiders know that. Winning that battle means we can have more elections under the Constitution and so we will go forward.

Unfortunately the actual battles with the Islamists will be so dominant in the next few years that we will be focusing on that and if McCain is president he will know that he needs the conservatives in his coalition to fight that battle so he will temper his other urges.

Adults know that sometimes you have to decide between several very bad options, but you do it because it is the right thing to do.

georgealbert on January 31, 2008 at 7:51 AM

georgealbert on January 31, 2008 at 7:51 AM

In other words, “Simmer down, children.”

Again, how could the better part of the Republican party not be falling in love with patronizing condescension?

Lehosh on January 31, 2008 at 7:55 AM

Medved: Rush is acting like a liberal

Fixed it for ya

NoFanofLibs on January 31, 2008 at 8:14 AM

I had a thought about McCain last night that I’ve never experienced: what a jerk, and a dishonest, craven jerk. I’ve always disagreed with him about some things, but never thought he was a jerk and lacking in honor until now.

MarkJudge on January 31, 2008 at 8:18 AM

I only listen to Medved occasionally if I happen to be in my car when he comes on. He has done some fascinating shows on American history, and so forth, but has been off the wall with his Huckabee/McCain support.

Where he first lost me was awhile back when Romney and Giuliani went at it over illegal immigration and Rudy took the cheap shot about Mitt having a “sanctuary mansion”. The next day Medved bristled about this exchange and to my astonishment decided that Mitt had behaved badly.

When people call in and disagree over other issues he treats them with obvious disdain in that whiny voice of his. He
steps all over them and doesn’t let them explain their positions before he interrupts and begins whining. I’ve heard some very smart, reasonable callers be treated very badly by him. It’s obnoxious and quite the contrast to how Rush handles callers.

Buy Danish on January 31, 2008 at 8:19 AM

Somebody needs to go back to writing movie reviews.

Gartrip on January 31, 2008 at 8:36 AM

People seem to be listing SCOTUS as a hold-your-nose reason to vote for McCain in the fall. My question is this:

How can we trust him to nominate anyone other than the Ted Kennedy-sponsored choice? How can we trust him to nominate a constructionist and not the ‘consensus’ candidate (like he is so fond of doing)?

Is adopting that argument meaning having to take a ginormous leap of faith?

Darksean on January 31, 2008 at 8:40 AM

Michael Medved is a brilliant man and a superb debater. He is reasonable and logical and would eviscerate most of the other talk radio hosts in a debate. I have been listening to his show for over four years now and I agree with him on most issues but I do not agree with him that McCain is the best choice we have. However, disagreeing with him does not make him a bad person, an idiot or stupid. He does have a point; most of my talk radio heroes and blogs have been emoting like liberals during these primaries and I find it difficult to listen to some and impossible to listen to others. The vitriol does nothing for our party but causes massive losses of respect in my opinion. The talk radio hosts and negative blogosphere need to realize that you are but a small percentage of the population; you have become much like the mainstream media; you are out of touch with the “flyover states”. I do believe that a big chunk of the republican party pundits and talk show hosts have become very arrogant and out of touch with the base. The sad thing is that we republicans would have a severe fight on our hands to gain the white house in November even if we were behind one candidate. With the division and hatred, we are sure to lose in November. As far as most everyone focusing on the negatives of the hand we have been dealt, Victor Davis Hansen said it best; ‘even Reagan would not be Reagan enough today’.

carbon_footprint on January 31, 2008 at 9:20 AM

Medved (ned flanders) lost me on his stance on illegal immigration and continues to throw out the old tired 12 million number when it is well over 20 to 25 million. It just shocks me as to how blind people are to the agenda and what it is doing to the U.S. now, not to mention 10 years from now.

jed58 on January 31, 2008 at 10:04 AM

Michael Medved is a brilliant man and a superb debater.

Actually, no. Michael Medved is an arrogant putz who I’ve known since I was a child. As Gartrip suggest, Medved should go back to movie reviews. He is nearly as insightful as a pet rock.

HebrewToYou on January 31, 2008 at 11:28 AM

I like Medved a lot, and met him once. He was very nice and didn’t seem arrogant to me at all. There is no debate he is extremely well informed- he’s full of facts- and he makes good use of those facts supporting his arguments.

I agree with Medved a lot, but his view on illegal immigration and support of McCain confuse me. I think he wants the Hispanic vote more than he wants to secure the border.

gmoonster on January 31, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Well-informed? His position on the border is ridiculous! There is no logic to it. He is just a populist goober. How can you like somebody who makes Randy Rhodes look insightful?

HebrewToYou on January 31, 2008 at 12:20 PM

Movie reviewer says what?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on January 31, 2008 at 12:33 PM

How can you like somebody who makes Randy Rhodes look insightful?

You gotta be kidding. He’s a strong Conservative, who supports a strong defense, the war on Jihadi Nazis, is pro-life, pro-marriage, ect. ect. Do you have a personal issue with Medved?

gmoonster on January 31, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Do you have a personal issue with Medved?

Yes, I do, but that doesn’t change the fact that his stance on the border is uninformed, naive and simply stupid. He’s no strong conservative. He’s simply a loud and outspoken person who, like a broken clock, happens to be right twice a day.

HebrewToYou on January 31, 2008 at 12:45 PM

HebrewToYou,
Hey, I agree with you his stance on the border and illegals sucks, but he’s right on almost everything else. How many people have you met that agree with you 100%? Yeah, he’s loud and outspoken, but so is Rush, Hannity, Savage, Ingraham, ect. Also like them, he’s successful, too.

gmoonster on January 31, 2008 at 12:49 PM

How many people have you met that agree with you 100%?

Very few, but that’s because I’m a ridiculous right-winger who grew up Southern California and went to college at UC Santa Cruz. Medved is not a bad person, persay. But he’s not indicative of modern conservative thought. He’s really just a stubborn orthodox Jew.

HebrewToYou on January 31, 2008 at 12:52 PM

Open Letter to Medved:

Michael, Michael, where did you go so wrong. First you were all on board with Huckabee, going so far as to say he was a first teir candidate when he won the I.O.W.A. (Idiots Out Wandering Around) cacuses, and now McCain is a conservative?! I think you need to go back and re-read Right Turns and get your barings straight.

P.S. It doesn’t take much to be more conservative than the president on domestic spending. I think even Jack Murtha can make that claim.

srhoades on January 31, 2008 at 3:30 PM

bye-bye Medved; nice to have known ya.

oldelpasoan on January 31, 2008 at 4:06 PM