McCain will attend CPAC

posted at 2:45 pm on January 30, 2008 by Bryan

Not that what I wrote had anything to do with this, but I did suggest that McCain could begin to mend fences with conservatives by attending CPAC personally this year. In that post, which was mostly about McCain’s dishonest denial regarding his having said that he’s weaker on economics than other issues, I suggested three things McCain could do to start working on his heavily damaged right flank: Getting rid of Juan Hernandez, rejecting the NYT endorsement and attending CPAC. One out of three. It’s a start, I guess. McCain infamously skipped CPAC last year and was booed in absentia for it and rightly so. He sent the unmistakable signal last year that he did not need and did not want conservative support. He’ll face a hostile crowd at CPAC this year, but just showing up will say quite a bit. Not enough, but quite a bit.

So this year with the nomination and the election and thus among other things the war on the line, McCain will attend CPAC in person. Presumably he’ll address the attendees, who by then will have a clearer picture of where the race stands thanks to Super-Duper Tuesday on February 5. Presumably he’ll say something that’s worth listening to, but more importantly he’ll have to show with actions between now and then that he really doesn’t hate conservatives. Presumably he’ll draw out real contrasts between himself and the Democrats. Presumably he won’t find a way to give CPACers a finger in the eye. Presumably he knows that without the base he can’t win, and even if he could win he won’t be able to govern for long if he doesn’t have the party’s base with him. Hopefully he’s not kidding himself into thinking that Maverick will enjoy peace with the Democrats no matter how much he’s tempted to give them.

I’m sure it will be a fine speech, but as the saying goes actions speak louder than words. Actions now and words at CPAC won’t heal the rift between McCain and conservatives, but it might help.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Isn’t CPAC before Super Tuesday?

Ian on January 30, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Nope, sorry, my mistake. These things just keep getting earlier and earlier.

Ian on January 30, 2008 at 4:56 PM

What arrogance to me. Does he think he is NOW the leader of the conservative movement?

He hasn’t seen a backlash yet. This is a perfect time.

CrimsonFisted on January 30, 2008 at 5:01 PM

it’s a shame that it’s likely that “conervatives” can be counted on to behave like the rioting bolschevicks at columbia university.

and its a shame that any disagreement with the disgusting and ignorant hatred spewed at mccain appears to be a near-bannable offence.

what a shame. you should be ashamed of yourselves.

jummy on January 30, 2008 at 5:11 PM

who? romney?

nah, you missed it. you see, he lost in a closed primary.

jummy on January 30, 2008 at 5:14 PM

hey, maybe while he’s at CPAC, someone there will ask him the wrong question, and then the famous McNitro temper will give him his Dean moment…..

I can dream, right??

mrfixit on January 30, 2008 at 3:23 PM

I’m hoping that happens tonight!

ctmom on January 30, 2008 at 5:18 PM

McCain will attend CPAC

Enter the Trojan horse, stage left.

leanright on January 30, 2008 at 5:33 PM

I was devastated that I couldn’t spend the money to go to CPAC this year. Now I need not feel bad. I do not wish to be in the same room with the duplicitous jerk.

He is a psycho.

As far as being ashamed of myself, get over it. I feel no shame at disdaining a man who wouldn’t recognize the truth if it bit him on the nose.

HonestConservative on January 30, 2008 at 5:37 PM

I hope he gets booed out off the stage and out of the friggin’ convention.

doubleplusundead on January 30, 2008 at 2:52 PM

That was my first impulse, but then it occurred to me that the enemedia would love to take footage of that and twist it to say that “conservatives don’t respect war heroes”, or some such blatant nonsense.

So my second thought, which I like better, is for people to just silently stand up and walk out en masse when he starts to speak. (The enemedia will probably still use it, but it’s not nearly as exciting as booing.) Shun him. He’s no conservative, never has been, never will be, and no amount of lying and dishonest pandering on his part (to be followed, as always, by the inevitable McCain backstab) will convince people otherwise.

ReubenJCogburn on January 30, 2008 at 5:41 PM

And another thing…,.

How can anyone claim to support the troops while selling national security down the Rio Grand. The do so while our figthing men and women are risking their lives and limbs to protect our national sovereignty. The two oppositional positions cannot jive.

HonestConservative on January 30, 2008 at 5:43 PM

Personally, I don’t think McCain will show up. Yes, I think he is that arrogant.

But if he does, I hope you and Michelle score a Vent interview with him. I would love to see his face when you ask him how it feels to be a Geraldo Rivera Republican.

Zorro on January 30, 2008 at 7:58 PM

There aren’t enough rotten vegetables in Washington.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 31, 2008 at 8:58 AM

If McCain would just get himself some sleeves that fit and look like a damn leader instead of a broken down aged retarded intern, it would be a start. The guy just looks goofy. I cant take him serious when I look at him.

johnnyU on January 31, 2008 at 11:02 AM