Huck passes the collection plate at church sanctuary meeting

posted at 4:01 pm on January 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

Not only is it un-Christian, says Two or Three, but media attention to it will take him off message. Not really. All he is at this point is a pitbull for McCain; the media still cares about him only to the extent he’s willing to give them one-liners about eating fried squirrel. Say this for him, though: When he finds a form of shadiness he likes, he sticks to it. That was the lesson of yesterday’s post about “independent” groups working on his behalf and it’s the lesson of today’s newest anecdote about him observing the letter but certainly not the spirit of the regs forbidding politicking by religious charities.

Presidential candidate Mike Huckabee says he did nothing improper by holding a political fundraiser in a Texas televangelist’s church sanctuary last week.

The event, which coincided with Kenneth Copeland’s annual Ministers’ Conference, was held at Eagle Mountain International Church in the Fort Worth suburb of Newark. Preachers from around the country who had gathered in the sanctuary for the religious event stayed for the Huckabee fundraiser.

“I made a phone call in and just said hello to them, called in on a speakerphone, said hi and encouraged them, you know. And that was it,” the former Arkansas governor said Tuesdayduring an interview outside a Tampa polling place. “They told me there was over a thousand of them there. I’m not sure how many because I couldn’t see them. I could only hear them on the phone.”

The Trinity Foundation, a Dallas nonprofit that monitors televangelists, says the fundraiser produced $111,000 in donationsand about $1 million in pledges, but Huckabee said he doesn’t know how much was raised…

A Copeland spokesman said that the Huckabee campaign had paid $2,500 to rent space at the ministry for three hours.

Follow the link and read down for Huck’s vow to stand with Copeland come hell, high water, or Senate investigation. That $2,500 wasn’t the only quid pro quo between them.

Exit question: Just how easy is it to segue from religious gathering to private political fundraiser? Presto change-o:

“Last night [Jan. 23] the Governor called his friend in the middle of a conference and Copeland, carefully observing all the laws governing non profits, as a private citizen, re-convened a private meeting, turned to his friends and raised $111,000 in cash and reportedly a cool million in promises for Huckabee.”

Comments

Next you’ll be saying tax-exempt organizations should be nonpartisan.

Alex K on January 30, 2008 at 4:04 PM

I think Huckabee should be the next RNC chairman. He’d seem to fit right in. :/

lorien1973 on January 30, 2008 at 4:07 PM

I thought only black churches could support political candidates. What the hell’s happening to my country?

JiangxiDad on January 30, 2008 at 4:08 PM

Kenneth Copeland?

Blech. As though I didn’t already have a negative opinion of Huckabee.

Slublog on January 30, 2008 at 4:10 PM

If these clowns are so set on getting a Preacher in the White House, why not pick a SMART ONE?

EJDolbow on January 30, 2008 at 4:12 PM

I must be extremely dense because I fail to comprehend why this person ever was or still is relevant.

Brat on January 30, 2008 at 4:14 PM

What a shameless display. I hate Huckabee so very, very much.

HebrewToYou on January 30, 2008 at 4:14 PM

allah we need some new the view posts so I can forget about all of this

offroadaz on January 30, 2008 at 4:18 PM

Huckabee preys on the less intelligent of the Republican party. he is a disease. As a party, we have to clean ourselves internally before we can be of use to the country.

McCain and Huckabee…..NEVAH!!!

Roger Waters on January 30, 2008 at 4:19 PM

JiangxiDad on January 30, 2008 at 4:08 PM

It’s connected to the same thought that white governers from Arkansas are actually black. It’s all intertwined, silly.

geckomon on January 30, 2008 at 4:24 PM

JiangxiDad on January 30, 2008 at 4:08 PM

geckomon on January 30, 2008 at 4:24 PM

LOL!!! I needed that at Sean Hannity’s stunt!

kcd on January 30, 2008 at 4:26 PM

It is usually ANATHEMA for a Baptist to support and coincide with a Charismatic/Pentacostal/Speaking in Tougues/You can lose your Salvation/Let me Heal You based denomination………

A La: Kenny Copeland…Benny Hinn….Jimmi Swagert…et al…

What an opportunist……..

awesum on January 30, 2008 at 4:26 PM

LOL!!! I needed that at Sean Hannity’s stunt!

at Sean

I ment: after Sean Hannity’s stunt.

kcd on January 30, 2008 at 4:30 PM

It is just amazing to me how many Christens are fooled by Huckabee. Oh and by the way The Trinity Foundation is a joke! They are always willing and ready to bash Christens.

LMM on January 30, 2008 at 4:47 PM

Shame #1 on Huckabee for doing this
Shame #2 on those ministers doing this!. How is this going to advance the gospel. Modern day money changers

ConservativePartyNow on January 30, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Christians. There, that’s better.

kcd on January 30, 2008 at 4:58 PM

To petition for political money in a Church is as vile as my having to cast political votes in a Church.

Unfortunately, matters of Church and State aren’t separated, when it comes to the above.

All Churches should be above politics. Surely, there is still a need for the discussion of Scripture in Church.

To reduce a Church to politics, not only soils the Church, but it is anathema to the purpose of same – to spread the Gospel.

OhEssYouCowboys on January 30, 2008 at 4:59 PM

DEPORT THE ENTIRE DAMN CHURCH!

I’m sick of these places trying to use religion against us. Do they ever speak about the number of American lives destroyed by illegal aliens?

Meaning the argument is one-sided, political, and therefore, not protected as a non-profit.

madmonkphotog on January 30, 2008 at 5:00 PM

Thanks for the link Allah. My point about the media attention was that any money he got couldn’t be worth the negative attention (not necessarily from the MSM, but from conservative bloggers and potential voters).

As I said in my post, the main problem I have with it is from the Christian standpoint. Politically, I don’t think there should be any limits on churches according to free speech. The laws are vague at best and essentially useless – how many churches ever get called on it.

From a religious perspective, I find it outrageous that Huckabee would do this. I don’t think the sanctuary is any holier than the civic center (churches are people not buildings), but this further causes the message of Christianity to be tied directly with political power (which is one of the things Jesus was specific to avoid).

Christians can and should be involved in politics, but they should not sacrifice the message of Christ for some campaign cash. I had higher hopes for Huckabee. Hopefully in the future a conservative Christian will be able to capture the positives of Huckabee, while not suffering from the negatives.

wardrobedoor on January 30, 2008 at 5:01 PM

Didn’t I forward an e-mail to you guys a couple of days ago on this same subject, by the Wittenburg Door?

Frozen Tex on January 30, 2008 at 5:20 PM

kcd on January 30, 2008 at 4:58 PM

Sorry! That’s what I get for getting a head of myself and not spell checking. But I thought correcting people’s spelling was a big no no. I guess not, I will have to be extra careful from now on.

LMM on January 30, 2008 at 5:26 PM

Oh, and..

HUCKASCHMUCK! HUCKASCHMUCK! HUCKASCHMUCK!

Frozen Tex on January 30, 2008 at 5:29 PM

wardrobedoor on January 30, 2008 at 5:01 PM

He would be a shoe-in. What strikes me is how quiet the “schism” btwn liberal Christians and conservative Christians is in the media. It was news to me (as a non-Christian),and I think a major story coming out of this election. But aside
from a few comments here and there, essentially nothing.

And yet it has likely determined the Presidency in ’08.

JiangxiDad on January 30, 2008 at 5:34 PM

I am one of those CCR (Conservative Christian Republican) born-agains that some of you guys are dissing. I have been a Romney supporter since day one. So are most of the other Christians I know. Schmuckabee’s position on criminal aliens
kept me from evah supporting him. He fooled some of the Christians but obviously not enough.

PoliticallyIncorrectSandy on January 30, 2008 at 5:49 PM

A La: Kenny Copeland…Benny Hinn….Jimmi Swagert…et al…

What an opportunist……..

awesum on January 30, 2008 at 4:26 PM

That just proves that Huckster isn’t a real Baptist. He and the rest of the Rick Warren crew are in it for the money just like Copeland and the rest of the huckster in the evangelist group. They can bring on a cry in the voice and tears streaming down their face at the drop of the hat. My dad worked for one of these jokers one summer while in college and the guy only had 5 sermons and he got verklempt every night at the same moment. In fact 25 years later when he heard him, he was still using the same 5 sermons and crying at the same point. He makes Hillary look like the amateur that she is.

flytier on January 30, 2008 at 5:50 PM

What strikes me is how quiet the “schism” btwn liberal Christians and conservative Christians is in the media. JiangxiDad on January 30, 2008 at 5:34 PM

That schism is as broad as the schism between Harry Reid and Rush Limbaugh. It would take too much time and effort for the average drive-by to understand. It’s easier for them to stick to their preconceived notions about Christians.

flyfisher on January 30, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Maybe he can get his friends – the illegals – to donaye their tax rebate checks, after all he is their friend. I hear a lot of the illegals are already linning up to give theirs to Juan.

countywolf on January 30, 2008 at 5:58 PM

While it’s a little pathetic I actually don’t mind him poking holes in the campaign finance laws. They are idiotic to begin with.

bj1126 on January 30, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Kenneth Copeland is one of six televangelists being investigated for misuse of their churches funds. He preaches a so-called gospel of properity, while living a lavish lifestyle complete with a huge lakeside mansion, his own fleet of private jets, and interests in cattle, real estate and oil. Former employees of his say the man and his wife are frauds and charlatans who are literally fleecing their flocks while enjoying tax-free status. So it is little surprise that Huck The Schmuck would be stupid enough to associate himself with someone like Copeland. To phonys like Copeland, PTL doesn’t stand for Praise The Lord, but Pass The Loot!

pilamaye on January 30, 2008 at 5:59 PM

flyfisher on January 30, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Ain’t that the truth!! By the way flyfisher where do you live, if that’s not an inappropriate question?

flytier on January 30, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Hey Flytier,

I’m a lifelong West Tennessean (Jackson and Memphis) who mere weeks ago moved to a little town in North Mississippi called Olive Branch, just south of Memphis. And yourself?

flyfisher on January 30, 2008 at 6:19 PM

I was born in Kingsport,Tenn but my folks moved to Michigan in the mid 50′s and except for a stint in S.C. in the early 70′s I’ve lived here most of my life. Right now I live in Grayling, MI, home of T.U. and the Au Sable and Manistee rivers.

flytier on January 30, 2008 at 6:23 PM

To illustrate a difference between the church Mitt attends, and the churches that Mike visits, (taken from newsroom.lds.org)

SALT LAKE CITY 6 December 2007 The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints today re-emphasized its long-standing position of party political neutrality in response to a large number of calls from the news media over the past few days.

The statement of political neutrality has been posted on the Church’s Newsroom web site for the past year and has been widely disseminated to journalists. It says:

The Church’s mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ, not to elect politicians. The Church’s neutrality in matters of party politics applies in all of the many nations in which it is established.

The Church does not:
Endorse, promote or oppose political parties, candidates or platforms.
Allow its church buildings, membership lists or other resources to be used for partisan political purposes.
Attempt to direct its members as to which candidate or party they should give their votes to. This policy applies whether or not a candidate for office is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Attempt to direct or dictate to a government leader.

The Church does:
Encourage its members to play a role as responsible citizens in their communities, including becoming informed about issues and voting in elections.
Expect its members to engage in the political process in an informed and civil manner, respecting the fact that members of the Church come from a variety of backgrounds and experiences and may have differences of opinion in partisan political matters.
Request candidates for office not to imply that their candidacy or platforms are endorsed by the Church.
Reserve the right as an institution to address, in a nonpartisan way, issues that it believes have significant community or moral consequences or that directly affect the interests of the Church.

Cold Steel on January 30, 2008 at 7:11 PM

How dare they not keep quiet! /s

pilamaye on January 30, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Right, they don’t fall in line so investigate investigate investigate!

/s

He doesn’t hide his wealth so I don’t see your point. And jets?! Oh no I can’t believe he’d dare to preach around the world!

- The Cat

P.S. Even Jesus had an accountant.

MirCat on January 30, 2008 at 7:14 PM

Kenneth Copeland?

Blech. As though I didn’t already have a negative opinion of Huckabee.

Slublog on January 30, 2008 at 4:10 PM

Agreed. Of course, I’m thinking of of his “prosperity gospel”, which may not be what you’re thinking of.

theregoestheneighborhood on January 30, 2008 at 9:56 PM

P.S. Even Jesus had an accountant.

MirCat on January 30, 2008 at 7:14 PM

If you’ll pardon the correction, Jesus didn’t have an accountant. He had a disciple who “held the bag.” Who also stole from it. Who also betrayed him for 30 pieces of silver.

Accountants may not appreciate your analogy.

theregoestheneighborhood on January 30, 2008 at 10:27 PM

MirCat on January 30, 2008 at 7:14 PM

Thanks MirCat. I agree with you. Lots of people don’t understand that God says (in 3 John 2) it is his well for you to be healthy and prosperous. And since they don’t understand the message, they shoot the messenger. I know several people personally who began to prosper significantly after they began to tithe, and now they tithe more than they used to make! (i.e., the 10% they give away now is more $ than the 100% they used to make before they began tithing) If Copeland was really ripping people off, how long do people really think that would last? Scams don’t last 20+ years, growing bigger every year.

ITookTheRedPill on January 30, 2008 at 10:28 PM

When I see that photo of Huckabee, I hear a self-confident crazy man saying, “I’m from K-PAX!”

Kralizec on January 30, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Mircat obviously doesn’t recall the Jim Bakker incident of a few years back, where the then very famous, very wealthy televangelist wound up going to the slammer for a few years for misusing church funds. He has since become a simple minister preaching the Gospel to a regular church and admitted what he did in the past was wrong. Kenneth Copeland has been living like a king for years and there are definetly parallels between his case and Bakker’s. And besides, if you go to church, how many jets does your minister have and how many lavish homes does he live in? How much is he making off his investments that he is using church funds for? There are some serious questions about the Copeland empire that need answering. Sooner or later, he and his wife are going to be. Interesting to see what will happen next.

pilamaye on January 31, 2008 at 6:15 AM

well , money and politics. you gotta’ have ‘em both.

gr8inferno on January 31, 2008 at 9:05 AM

ITookTheRedPill on January 30, 2008 at 10:28 PM

What about people that tithe and are not blessed? What about people who believe in God and are not healed? The theology of health and wealth does not connect with real life or scripture.

2 John 3 simply mentions prospering, not someone being wealthy. It doesn’t even say it is God’s will. It is simply John’s prayer that they would prosper. You should evaluate that in light of Paul writing on numerous occasions about being content and the whole of Scripture. (Odd discussion for Hot Air, under a post by an atheist but here we go.)

Philippians 4:11

I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.

1 Timothy 6:6-8

But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.

Hebrews 13:5

Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”

I’m not saying having money is wrong. Scripture simply teaches that to make having more money your goal is wrong. If you tithe and God rewards you by blessing you financially – fantastic. If I tithe and God rewards me in some other way – fantastic. Money is a tool that can be used for good or evil. Having a lot of it or having little has no bearing on “God’s blessings.” Many of the most blessed people in the Bible and people I have met are those with the least amount of material possessions.

The Christian life is one of obedience to Christ, not of self-indulgence. That is why most Christians are upset with the lavish lifestyle of many televangelists. I don’t see how spending millions of dollars to buy houses, cars, boats, jets, stuff for one’s self fits with the servant lifestyle that Jesus modeled for us.

wardrobedoor on January 31, 2008 at 12:48 PM