Results: Floridamania! Update: Hillary wins; Report: Rudy to endorse McCain tomorrow; Update: Fox, AP call it for McCain; Update: “I’m the conservative leader who can unite the party”

posted at 7:43 pm on January 29, 2008 by Allahpundit

Early vote counts are expected at 8 p.m. ET, fuller results by 9. High drama on two fronts, needless to say, both in the Romney/Maverick showdown and the last rites coming for Rudy at Giuliani HQ. As usual, CNN and Politico are posting running tallies. Drudge says it’s Romney, not McCain, by a point and a half right now but that’s down a few tenths of a percent from five minutes ago.

Stand by for updates.

Update: The AP tally on Politico has McCain up three with 9% reporting. Drudge has it dead even.

Update: There’ll be a million Rudy autopsies tomorrow but Carl Cameron’s out of the gate with this misleading tidbit: “Some campaign aides privately gripe about what might have been. There are those who believed Rudy could have competed and won New Hampshire.” He did compete in New Hampshire, though — aggressively, in the last few months of last year. He got nowhere.

According to Campaign Media Analysis Group, Mr. Giuliani spent $1.7 million in New Hampshire between November 10 and December 9. During the same period, Mr. Romney spent $1.3 million and Mr. McCain $1.2 million.

Despite being the biggest spender on television in New Hampshire during that period, Mr. Giuliani saw his support fall away…

Put another way, between the beginning of July and early November, Mr. Giuliani polled an average of 21% in New Hampshire. In the following four weeks, when he was advertising heavily, support dropped to an average of 18%.

Update: Here’s the Florida SoS page, updating constantly.

Update: No surprise, Hillary wins.

Update: Fox is running exit polls now. Romney wins among Republicans, McCain wins among independents as Republicans. Too close to call.

Update: Actually, never mind the SoS page. It’s slower than CNN and the Fox News TV totals. Stick to those.

McCain leads by 8,000 votes with 29% in.

Update: CNN has the full exit poll data. McCain won both men and women, which I guess means…

Update: Everything’s coming up Maverick!

ABC’s Karen Travers offers these results, with 85 percent reporting in Pasco County, a bellwether: McCain 36.7, Romney 29.3, Rudy 16.8

Update: Halperin says the Reaper is at Rudy’s door and that an endorsement for Maverick, possibly in LA tomorrow before the debate, is coming.

Update: With 44% in, McCain leads by 35,000 votes. The over/under on a call is 9:20 p.m.

Update: Now 50,000 votes with 51% in.

Update: If you took the under, you win! At 9:11, Fox News and AP call it for Maverick. SECOND LOOK AT STAYING HOME!

Update: So here’s your exit question. Closed primary, and Maverick still wins. How does Romney win competitive states, especially with Rudy ready to throw his support to Mac?

Update: The exit polls were wrong about the absentee ballots. Mitt didn’t win; he split them with McCain.

Update: Is it wrong that I’m already excited to see how Hewitt’s going to spin this for Mitt?

Update: John McCain, conservative icon:

“It shows one thing. I’m the conservative leader who can unite the party,” the Arizona senator said in a brief interview with The Associated Press.

Update: Steyn plays anti-Hewitt: “This is a tough night for the Romney campaign. Fred’s withdrawal should have benefited them more than McCain. If Huck stays in, there’s no prospect of southern victories for Mitt on Super Tuesday. And, if Huck and/or Rudy pull out, their votes on balance are likely to break for McCain.”

Update: NBC says it’s confirmed the Giuliani/McCain endorsement deal.

Update: “The beast is dead.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 12 13 14

Sob!

What a bunch of babies.

Ain’t that the truth.

docob on January 30, 2008 at 12:25 PM

eanax on January 30, 2008 at 12:21 PM

OKAY GRAMPS — HEY I THINK YOUR PUDDING’S READY. MMMMM. YOU LIKE YOUR PUDDING!!!

argos on January 30, 2008 at 12:25 PM

There’s about a ten cent difference between McCain and Hillary. Either way, we’ll get a Lib…

Yeah I’ll believe that when Hillary changes her mind on slaughering the unborn.

argos on January 30, 2008 at 12:27 PM

OKAY GRAMPS — HEY I THINK YOUR PUDDING’S READY. MMMMM. YOU LIKE YOUR PUDDING!!!

argos on January 30, 2008 at 12:25 PM

How cute — especially since you know my age. /sarc

An Independent Party looks A LOT better than what either the Dems or Repubs are offering…

eanax on January 30, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Yeah I’ll believe that when Hillary changes her mind on slaughering the unborn.

argos on January 30, 2008 at 12:27 PM

Still a ten cent difference. If it’s McCain or Hillary in the WH, we still get a Liberal — just slighty different.

eanax on January 30, 2008 at 12:37 PM

How cute — especially since you know my age. /sarc

AYE WHAT? SPEAK UP SONNY!!!

argos on January 30, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Pfffttt. Rubbish. I would take Mitt or Rudy or Fred any freakin day over McCain. But to lable McCain as being a liberal on a par with Clinton is just plain harebrained. Believe me (or not), if Hillary gets in, even you will quickly attain total recall on what a liberal is.

argos on January 30, 2008 at 12:46 PM

The reason McCain won Cubans/Hispanics isMcCain’s campaign smeared Romney with robo calls alleging he wants to open ties with Cuba, which is a lie. What a liar; of course no one mentioned this in the analysis, it was just “wow” and “endorsements help”. McCain wants to appear honest and straightforward, but he wants the Presidency so badly that he’ll lie.

Here’s one of the robo call articles: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2008/01/robo.html

linlithgow on January 30, 2008 at 12:47 PM

argos on January 30, 2008 at 12:46 PM

If you are trying to convince us that we are wrong for the way we are feeling, I want to let you know, you really suck at it.

Pcoop on January 30, 2008 at 12:54 PM

What a democrat.

argos on January 30, 2008 at 12:55 PM

Exactly what I’m talking about.

Are you trying to motivate me? No, you are to insult people around here becuase they are expressing how unhappy they are with the current situation.

I don’t really give a crap what you think, I just wanted to tell you that you’re being an a**h*le and not really contributing anything constructive to the debate.

Have a good day.

Pcoop on January 30, 2008 at 12:59 PM

linlithgow on January 30, 2008 at 12:47 PM

key quote from link:

The campaign is trying to figure out who is behind the calls, but it is “improbable” that it is any campaign other than rival John McCain’s, Cardenas charged.

Could be nutroots intervention. I wouldn’t be surprised. Shouldn’t it be fairly easy to find out exactly who is behind this?

A spokeswoman for the McCain campaign denied any connection. “These are not our calls,” Jill Hazelbaker told The Times Maeve Reston.

My hunch is that they are telling the truth on this. Because if this woman were to get caught in a lie on it, that would be very bad and very stupid for the McCain campaign. We shall see. In the meantime I hope that Mitt takes the gloves off. Not so much on this crap (which sounds fishy to me), but most definitely for the outright and unquestionable lie that McCain himself made re Mitt’s position on Iraq. Mitt ought to pound him like a drum for that until the SOB fesses up and apologizes.

argos on January 30, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Are you trying to motivate me?

No I’m pretty sure you’re beyond that.

Have a good day.

Watch the screen door.

argos on January 30, 2008 at 1:10 PM

“I’m the conservative leader who can unite the party”

Bullshit!

Geronimo on January 30, 2008 at 1:25 PM

“I’m the conservative older than dirt dino- Rino. open border leader liar from he!! who can unite destroy the party from within”

leanright on January 30, 2008 at 2:03 PM

ALERT!!! ANYONE WHO CAN, LISTEN TO SEAN HANNITY RIGHT NOW! HE HAS GONE TO THE OTHER SIDE! I REPEAT, HE HAS GONE TO THE OTHER SIDE!!

kcd on January 30, 2008 at 3:49 PM

In other words, Mormon missionaries learn not to be too straightforward. It’s almost like training to be a slippery politician…

theregoestheneighborhood on January 30, 2008 at 2:11 AM

I rest my case regarding the fact that too many bible thumpers in the Repub party would never vote for Mitt. Thanks. Now I’ll be left with a choice between McShamnesty or a democrap…wait, is that redundant?

jwp1964 on January 30, 2008 at 8:33 AM

This particular “Bible thumper” would vote for Romney over McCain. In fact, it looks like that’s the only alternative left.

Sorry if that disturbs your “rested case.”

theregoestheneighborhood on January 30, 2008 at 4:28 PM

All I can say is BULL to McCain’s statement that he is a Conservative & he can unite the party. Just watch McAmnesty we Conservatives won’t unite behind you – we keep to our prinicples – unlike you. McAmnesty and Grahmensty what a pair??!!

Kat13 on January 30, 2008 at 4:30 PM

In my opinion the reason why the Drive by media want McCain to be the Republican nomination is because they know he is fracturing the Party and many will stay home & not vote for him – therefore giving Hillary (the media choice) the Presidencey. Might be good thing – get another Carter before getting another Reagan (strong Conservative leader that is)!

Kat13 on January 30, 2008 at 4:47 PM

Sorry if that disturbs your “rested case.”

theregoestheneighborhood on January 30, 2008 at 4:28
PM

Ditto that!

kcd on January 30, 2008 at 5:01 PM

kcd on January 30, 2008 at 5:01 PM

Just so ya’ll know, Mormons thump on Bibles too. I know, I know, we thump on other books as well, but we do love us some KJV.

Cold Steel on January 30, 2008 at 7:00 PM

argos on January 30, 2008 at 12:46 PM

Puhlease.

McCain, when looked at objectively and compared to others in his party and when compared with other conservatives, is NOT and never has been a conservative.

This F-A-C-T is clear. McCain’s alliances are all out there for anyone to review and see. McCain is a RINO. He’s a Liberal Republican. Just ’cause he has an “R” after his name doesn’t make him a conservative.

McCain was for Amnesty (aligning himself with Ted FRICKIN’ Kennedy!). He co-sponsored “campaign finance reform” with the Socialist Feingold from Wisconsin. The MSM loves him!

Do I need to go on?!?!?