McCain’s campaign boasts another open borders zealot

posted at 10:22 am on January 28, 2008 by Bryan

His name is Jerry Perenchio, and he’s a national finance co-chair of the McCain campaign. You can find him listed on McCain’s website. Perenchio has a long history of thwarting the people’s will when it comes to border security.

Jerry Perenchio is the man who poured millions of dollars into fighting the California movement to teach schoolchildren English. Does John McCain share Perenchio’s zealous opposition to pro-English immersion initiatives? If he doesn’t, why does he have the nation’s leading opponent of pro-English immersion initiatives serving in the prestigious position of national campaign finance co-chair?

Perenchio aggressively bankrolled opposition to Prop. 227, which dismantled “bilingual education”–the oxymoronic program that holds foreign-language-speaking students hostage and forces them to maintain their native tongues instead of transitioning to English as quickly as possible–in 1998. He donated millions directly to the opponents and also donated millions of dollars in anti-227 “public service announcements” on Univision railing that “The dreams of millions of Hispanic families are being destroyed.” Despite Perenchio’s massive campaign to prop up language segregationism, the pro-English Prop. 227 won in a landslide.

It’s bad enough that McCain has Juan Hernandez as his Hispanic Outreach Director. McCain claims that Hernandez is on the campaign because he agrees with McCain’s policies. But it’s something else entirely to find that McCain is backed by Perenchio. Perenchio isn’t just an open borders advocate; he’s also a global warming crusader and major contributor to Planned Parenthood. Michelle has all the details. McCain is looking more and more like a creature of the radical side of a couple of issues that put him at odds with the vast majority of the GOP base and, in the case of border security, with the general public as well. Personnel is policy, and the personnel on McCain’s campaign offer a strong hint about which policies he would take with him if he’s elected president.

But so far, none of this is changing the race in Florida. McCain holds a very narrow lead over Romney in most of the polls. Zogby has it 33-30. Strategic Vision has it 27-26. Quinnipiac has it 32-31. Only Rasmussen has the Florida race tied, at 31-31.

Update: Juan Hernandez is good enough for McCain, but Samuel Alito isn’t?

Update (AP): Attrition through enforcement, says Fred Thompson John McCain!

Sen. John McCain now is embracing a version of the attrition strategy to fight illegal immigration, saying his version of a guest-worker plan would actually force many illegal aliens to leave the country over the next couple of years.

“I would propose, once the borders are secure and the borders stay government-certified, then I would have [a] tamper-proof biometric-document system so that the only people that can work are those who have that. And that would cause many more to leave this country,” Mr. McCain told “Al Punto,” Univision’s Sunday political talk-show program, in an interview broadcast yesterday…

“A lot of people will leave just, just normally, because they’re not going to be able to get their job,” he said.

Comments

Mom always told me to judge a man by the circles he runs in.

amkun on January 28, 2008 at 10:25 AM

Why am I not surprised?

infidel2 on January 28, 2008 at 10:29 AM

Hernandez vs. Alito?

Hispanic vs. Italian?

I think we know where El Senor Senator Juan McMierda stands.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on January 28, 2008 at 10:30 AM

(Jaw drops, Followed by Head Shaking)

Would you all excuse me for a moment? Thank you.

(Unintelligible Cursing, Smashing, Banging and Miscellaneous Noise)

I feel better now.

amerpundit on January 28, 2008 at 10:36 AM

McCain for head of the VA Administration in a Romney-Rudy administration.

To work for the current heroes …and get over his own bad luck at being shot down over Nam 40 years ago.

profitsbeard on January 28, 2008 at 10:37 AM

I cannot figure out what happened to the brain cells of some of these “open-border” zealots who absolutely bristle at even the mention of teaching some Hispanic even basic English. Some of these knuckleheads had to have had ancestors who came to America from other countries and the first thing they learned real quick was if they were going to get anywhere, they had to learn English. Yet when I look back on history, I don’t see anyone leading the charge back then to stop immigrants from learning English then like I am seeing now in these Open Borders yoohoos. And the other thing I can’t see is how your average Hispanic or any other immigrant for that matter cannot see that unless you learn English, the most in life you are going to get here is either flipping burgers at McDonald’s or shoveling manure for some landscaping outfit. It is like these Open Borders people are saying something like “COME ON IN, ALL ARE WELCOME! Just don’t expect much once you get here!”

pilamaye on January 28, 2008 at 10:41 AM

What a remarkable lack of judgment this man possesses. Maybe that’s a problem…

Jaibones on January 28, 2008 at 10:41 AM

John McCain: “I have NEVER supported amnesty, and neither have Juan Hernandez, Lindey Graham, Mel Martinez, Jerry Perenchio, or Vicinente Fox! There are four lights!”

BKennedy on January 28, 2008 at 10:42 AM

But so far, none of this is changing the race in Florida.

And the polling this year has been so accurate!

Seriously, talk of the write-in votes aside, Florida is really going to come down to which candidate gets the most voters out tomorrow. I’ve got to wonder how Florida with its strong Hispanic demographic is going to respond to McCain’s clear open-borders and universal amnesty positions.

I’m not a pollster but I’m guessing the final tally is going to be Romney with some clear momentum(and taking some of the otherwise-Thompson votes), McCain, with Rudy and Huckabee 3rd and 4th (in some manner).

It should be noted that McCain also has some momentum but I’m not sure it is the right kind to help him. He got endorsed by the NYT. Both Clintons have stated that he is the candidate they most want to run against in the national elections. Mel Martinez endorsed him (not the most popular guy with conservatives after his pro-amnesty comments). Governor Crist is an unknown factor but McCain is violently opposed to a federal catostrophic insurance program in a state that suffered 5 major hurricanes in 2004.

highhopes on January 28, 2008 at 10:43 AM

There are four lights!”

Ha! Good TNG ref…

Tim on January 28, 2008 at 10:50 AM

Ha! Good TNG ref…

Tim on January 28, 2008 at 10:50 AM

I was wondering when someone would pick that up, I’ve been using it for a while to reference JMac’s slippery position on amnesty.

BKennedy on January 28, 2008 at 10:52 AM

When did Juan Hernandez and Jerry Perenchio join the McCain campaign? I wonder if they saw the McCain campaign tank and saw an opportunity to get involved.

ninjapirate on January 28, 2008 at 10:53 AM

Good call. I think you’re probably correct. Rudy’s been polling really low (headlines today said he was in 4th), but after all the time he’s spent in FL, I can’t imagine a scenario in which he’d come in behind Huckabee there.

Tim on January 28, 2008 at 10:53 AM

The Open-borders and Shamnesty types are going to see McCain’s nomination as a mandate.

p0s3r on January 28, 2008 at 10:54 AM

WSJ link :

Last week’s editorial endorsement of Mr. McCain by the New York Times, which delighted in recounting every one of Mr. McCain’s disagreements with conservatives, didn’t help. “John has to begin a new phase of his campaign,” says one prominent Republican in Congress who is backing Mr. McCain. “He has to decide if he wants to be a leader of the conservative movement that he says he joined after Ronald Reagan inspired him to enter politics in 1982. If he does that, he can be accepted. If he doesn’t, he will have to settle for a shotgun marriage with conservatives.”

Regardless, the GOP establishment wants a McCain nomination in the primaries, whether it is wanted by the base or not. An “anyone but Hillary” means, of nominating a Republican candidate is going to weaken this coalition. Expediency is now a conservative principal?

captivated_dem on January 28, 2008 at 10:55 AM

BKennedy on January 28, 2008 at 10:52 AM

That’s probably my favorite episode from the entire TNG series. Great stuff!

Tim on January 28, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Exactly. These are you ‘advisors’ the people who do the research for you and ‘guide’ you to a position. A candidate/politician can not read every piece of literature or law out there and they depend heavily on these people to help them make decision. It’s very disturbing that McCain is surrounding himself by these open-border types when it killed his campaign late last year.

Also, how many times has McCain hinted at Romney’s flip-flop on abortion? Pot calling the kettle black…

Luckedout on January 28, 2008 at 11:00 AM

I can understand trying to “Court” the Hispanic vote. But to snub your nose at your base is Political Suicide.
If Shamnesty gets the Nomination, It would not surprise me if he chose Lieberman as a VP.
I think it is time for a Write In Candidate. If we could just get Jeb to change his last name to Smith or Jones….

Guest1.1 on January 28, 2008 at 11:01 AM

I early-voted for Mitt on Friday down here in FL and, because of news like this, I keep feeling better and better about my decision. I wanted to vote McCain, but his immigration stance is a killer for me. It will be his downfall, I hope.

RW Wacko on January 28, 2008 at 11:04 AM

I happen to have some personal experience with this issue. I have a daughter in CA public schools in SoCal, two sisters are teachers, mom was a teacher, brother-in-law is a teacher, etc.

It wasn’t really about teaching English. We won the fight to eliminate all ESL classes where students were taught in Spanish. Now, by law, classes are taught in English. The net impact of this, among other things, is that non-English speaking students actually LEARN English! So, although the result was that students learn English, the fight was more about Mexican nativists taking over the schools.

peski on January 28, 2008 at 11:04 AM

From rasmussen if McCain wins he will be almost unstopable.

A week ago, Rasmussen Reports noted that if John McCain wins Florida, he may be close to unstoppable in the race for the Republican nomination. Nothing has happened in the past week to alter that assessment, but McCain’s prospects in Florida remain far from certain. The Arizona Senator finds himself in a Sunshine State toss-up with former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney.

William Amos on January 28, 2008 at 11:05 AM

Personnel is policy

Not true.

Big S on January 28, 2008 at 11:05 AM

Expediency is now a conservative principal?

captivated_dem on January 28, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Nope. If McCain gets the spot for the Republican party I will:
1) Leave the party
2) Register Democrat
3) Campaign for his opponent
4) Vote against him

A McCain victory for POTUS will do more damage to the long term health of the USA than either of his rivals as it will cripple the conservative movement. If we are going to have a liberal Democrat in office let’s have a real one, not one wearing an R for $#!ts and giggles.

Voidseeker on January 28, 2008 at 11:07 AM

“Rivals” in my above post would mean the Dems he would be running against after getting the spot on the Republican side. Should have been a bit more clear there as Rudy or Mitt will not do damage.

Voidseeker on January 28, 2008 at 11:09 AM

and get over his own bad luck at being shot down over Nam 40 years ago.

profitsbeard on January 28, 2008 at 10:37 AM

The man is a hero. Thank you Mr. McCain.

But it takes more than being a war hero to run this country. Mac is showing his true platform by the people he keeps. Mr. McCain, thanks, but, no thanks.

davidk on January 28, 2008 at 11:12 AM

Regardless, the GOP establishment wants a McCain nomination in the primaries..

captivated_dem on January 28, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Who is the GOP establishment?

Buy Danish on January 28, 2008 at 11:12 AM

Unfortunately it may be too late. Even a close win by Romney might not be enough

From Gallup today

Quinnipaic New Jersey Poll

McCain 29%
Guiliani 26%
Romney 14%

William Amos on January 28, 2008 at 11:14 AM

William Amos on January 28, 2008 at 11:14 AM

Well that feels a bit like getting punched in the gut. Gotta go lay down, now.

amkun on January 28, 2008 at 11:20 AM

If this is his campaign election staff…
imagine his administration (genuine fear).
Is there a option to alter my “hold nose” vote on your poll?

christophercube on January 28, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Nope. If McCain gets the spot for the Republican party I will:
1) Leave the party
2) Register Democrat
3) Campaign for his opponent
4) Vote against him
Voidseeker on January 28, 2008 at 11:07 AM

Your opposition to McCain is very legitimate, but voting Dem? That’s just crazy talk. I prefer to allow low Republican turnout to send the message that we’re mad as hell and not going to take it anymore.

Don’t vote Dem- stay home instead. The siren song of a comfy couch beckons.

Hollowpoint on January 28, 2008 at 11:21 AM

William Amos on January 28, 2008 at 11:14 AM

when you got nuthin else, argue polls

hey Florida voters, I read in a comment board that if you have already voted absentee, and have changed your mind, you can vote at the polls and they void your previous ballot

is this true?

windansea on January 28, 2008 at 11:22 AM

Voidseeker on January 28, 2008 at 11:07 AM
Nope. If McCain gets the spot for the Republican party I will:
1) Leave the party
2) Register Democrat
3) Campaign for his opponent
4) Vote against him

1.) Don’t. Fight from within.
2.) Don’t.
3.) Do.
4.) Do.

captivated_dem on January 28, 2008 at 11:22 AM

William Amos on January 28, 2008 at 11:14 AM

William, I’m of the opinion that poll numbers reflect how well the MSM is getting their message out to the people, and not necessarily how individuals judge the candidates.

It’s all about perception and unfortunately the majority of the electorate eat up what they see and hear on NBC, ABC, CBS and CNN.

The biggest enemy of republicans is still the MSM.

fogw on January 28, 2008 at 11:23 AM

Who is the GOP establishment?

Buy Danish on January 28, 2008 at 11:12 AM

You honestly don’t know? Are you new to following politics or something?

Short answer: It comprises those with influence in Republican politics such as pundits, magazines and other media types, party leadership, and elected officials.

Hollowpoint on January 28, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Straight Talk Lies Express.

Kini on January 28, 2008 at 11:25 AM

Buy Danish on January 28, 2008 at 11:12 AM

Who is the GOP establishment?

Sorry, that is a liberalish word. The WSJ link in Bryan’s post concerning CPAC, kinda brought that word out of my lexicon. The comments, I hightlighted, from the article just struck me as an opinion of the inevitability of McCain. Conservative acceptance or a shotgun wedding.

captivated_dem on January 28, 2008 at 11:29 AM

Well that feels a bit like getting punched in the gut. Gotta go lay down, now.

amkun on January 28, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Have faith amkun! Romney and McLame are neck & neck in Fl. There are more conservatives there than moderates. Romney will pull this out in Fl. & that will propel him into super Tuesday!

kcd on January 28, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Peski,

I’ve been in one of those California classrooms doing volunteer work. My experience isn’t quite how you depict the situation. It was essentially a class full of children of Hispanic background where their ability to communicate in English ran from marginal to fluent (with most somewhere in-between). At best, I’d say the teacher was speaking Spanish half the time because so much of the class didn’t understand otherwise. I don’t have a problem with that but it certainly isn’t English-only teaching that was going on. The real losers were the few fluent English speakers who were literally being held back because their classmates couldn’t keep up with their level of comprehension.

highhopes on January 28, 2008 at 11:31 AM

The biggest enemy of republicans is still the MSM.

fogw on January 28, 2008 at 11:23 AM

Quote of the day.

kcd on January 28, 2008 at 11:31 AM

Don’t vote Dem- stay home instead. The siren song of a comfy couch beckons.

Hollowpoint on January 28, 2008 at 11:21 AM

No can do, bro. You vote your choice in the primary — that’s why they have them — and then you vote your choice in the general election. And it’s hard to imagine anyone smart enough to even know HotAir exists who wouldn’t rather have McCain — warts and all — rather than Hillary or Obambi.

Jaibones on January 28, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Obambi

Heh.

Can I use that one from now on?

fogw on January 28, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Run Mitt Run…to the nearest camera..tape an ad in which you use Juan Hernandez & Jerry Perenchio, in their own words, taliking up their open border policy PLUS McCain’s recent confession over the week-end that he would indeed sign the Amnesty bill. Then tell all of FL those two idiots role in McCain’s campain. Might just be what you need to put yourself over the top! (Better hurry, voting tomorrow!)

kcd on January 28, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Don’t get me wrong, I will not vote for Hillary or “Obambi”, but neither would I vote for McCain. So, if he gets the nod, I’ll stay home.

kcd on January 28, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Goofy McCain thinks he will endear himself to the American public with traitors and scum like this guy and Herdevildez? Looks like St. Barracko ‘Barry’ Bama can start picking his cabinet!

countywolf on January 28, 2008 at 11:57 AM

… I will not vote for Hillary or “Obambi”, but neither would I vote for McCain. So, if he gets the nod, I’ll stay home.

kcd on January 28, 2008 at 11:48 AM

And elect Hillary or Obambi. Sorry, no passive-aggressive positions are allowed. Either you’re with us or you’re against us, dude.

Jaibones on January 28, 2008 at 12:00 PM

fogw on January 28, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Sure. I stole it from The Boss.

Jaibones on January 28, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Bryan and AP… I’m having a difficult time digesting all this red meat on McCain.

I’m a bit depressed. Time for a palate cleanser, or perhaps a stool softener…?

CliffHanger on January 28, 2008 at 12:02 PM

John McCain is a complete idiot if he thinks he will not be beholden to the open border lobbyists shoveling money into his campaign.

YOU (voters) are a complete idiot if you think John McCain is not beholden to these open border lobbyists shoveling money into his campaign.

EJDolbow on January 28, 2008 at 12:02 PM

OK, but dude — Hillary and Obambi: better on The Border, or worse?

End.of.Discussion.

Jaibones on January 28, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Important Point

I am certainly not defending this McShamnest POS, in case anyone gets the wrong idea. But now it’s time to start looking at the End Game. I’m voting for the Mittster. McCain gets the nomination, I am drinking a large quantity of brown liquor and voting for his deeply flawed ass.

Jaibones on January 28, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Jaibones on January 28, 2008 at 11:36 AM

That’s a legitimate view, but in mine, voting for the “lesser of two evils” no matter who the candidate is has gotten us the lousy politicians we have and keep re-electing now.

Hollowpoint on January 28, 2008 at 12:07 PM

When 227 was passed, the reading scores of hispanic speaking kids began to soar. Within a couple of years they were at an all-time high. The teachers union, true to the liberal policy, began to accept praise and began to embrace in publicly, even taking credit. All the while working behind the scenes to dismantle it. Now, most schools have placed a “english as a second language” program and the scores have begun to slip back.
These liberals hate minorities, I swear they want to keep them un-educated to pick their crops, wash their cars, clear their tables.

right2bright on January 28, 2008 at 12:10 PM

when you got nuthin else, argue polls

Im not arguing anything Im warning that results might not be to your liking soon.

William Amos on January 28, 2008 at 12:17 PM

You lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas. Those McVain voters fooling themselves into believing he is a conservative are going to end up bitterly disappointed should he become the nominee, even moreso if he becomes president.

thirteen28 on January 28, 2008 at 12:19 PM

I have to look at it as the lesser of two evils. McCain while bad is preferable to Hillary or Obama. And with a good VP in the mode of Cheney and a strong united republican party teling McCain “NO” when he needs to hear it gives us a good chance. I sort of veiw a potential McCain presidency as a Gerald Ford type Presidency. He will be a caretaker until we can replace him with someone better.

William Amos on January 28, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Jaibones on January 28, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Sorry Jaibones. I think that is why we are in a position to have to vote for a rino like McCain. Conservatives keep settling and settling and settling…before long we will be as liberal as the rest of them. I really hate to say this but McCain will be no better than Hillary or Obama and our country will suffer just as much. It will kill the Rebub party. I’d rather be able to “blame” liberals for our sorry state of affairs, than a “republican”. Sad isn’t it?

kcd on January 28, 2008 at 12:26 PM

thirteen28 on January 28, 2008 at 12:19 PM

I may have mentioned in another thread that my parents voted absentee in CA for Maverick. Well, my dad is now experiencing “voters remorse” and said he wishes he had waited.

Key take-away… if you’re on the fence, don’t vote absentee.

CliffHanger on January 28, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Hopefully Mitt will get the nod & your parents can make up for it in the general!

kcd on January 28, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Those who are advocating staying home on election day if McShamnesty is the Nominee; remember there are senators and representatives on the ballot too.

cjs1943 on January 28, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Key take-away… if you’re on the fence, don’t vote absentee.

CliffHanger on January 28, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Good anecdote, Cliffhanger. I doubt your parents are the first, and they certainly won’t be the last.

thirteen28 on January 28, 2008 at 12:44 PM

For those of you who are contemplating staying home and not voting….SHAME ON YOU!

There are soldier in Iraq, Afghanistan and stationed around the world, fighting, when necessary, so that you may have THE RIGHT TO VOTE. If you do not exercise your right to vote, you might as well dress in Code Pink.

Hell, start a write in campaign for anyone that you choose, but don’t sit on you a$$ and do nothing. The least you can do is VOTE!!

PappaMac on January 28, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Hollowpoint on January 28, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Follow your premise through to the end.

Not voting for the “lesser of two evils” will leave you with the “greater of two evils” in the White House. And extra bonus … you’ll still have a lousy politician in office.

Because they all are.

fogw on January 28, 2008 at 12:52 PM

What a remarkable lack of judgment this man possesses. Maybe that’s a problem…

Jaibones on January 28, 2008 at 10:41 AM

But he knows better than you and I. He’s the Maverick!

The conservative cabal has settled on McCain – Bush/RNC/Crist/Martinez/soon Giuliani/etc., etc.

It’s payback for McCain’s Gargantuan efforts to help Bush get re-elected in 2004.

you’ll still have a lousy politician in office.

Because they all are.

fogw on January 28, 2008 at 12:52 PM

Crooks all, just for running. There’s a saying about that but I don’t have time to look for it. I agree with your sentiments fogw, but I repeat myself :)

Entelechy on January 28, 2008 at 1:03 PM

kcd on January 28, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Therein lies the rub, particularly with McVain (and Huckabee as well, but he’s starting to fade).

You compromise on one thing … and then another … and then another … and another … and another … and pretty soon, you’ve compromised every one of your important principles away. To support McVain, you either have to compromise away almost all of your conservative principles, or somehow believe that he’ll respect them against strong evidence to the contrary.

Want strict constructionists on the court? You have to believe that his record on Gang of 14, his comments about “drawing the line” with Alito for “wearing his conservatism on his sleeve”, and his clear disdain for the 1st Amendment as evidenced by McVain-Feingold won’t affect his decision making in nominating judges, or you have to compromise on the principle of preventing judicial activism.

Strong national defense? Oh sure, this is supposed to be McVain’s strong suit. But you have to overlook his willingness to shut down Gitmo, his unwillingness to use harsh interrogation methods even during a ticking time bomb scenario, and his demonstrated unwillingness to secure our borders … or compromise on those principles.

And on those borders? You really have to buy into his BS that he’s heard us and understands now that securing the border comes first, despite strong evidence to the contrary, much of it very recent (i.e. his hiring of Hernandez and Perenchio [Pinnochio?], his statement that, as president, he would have signed the McVain-Kennedy amnesty bill, etc.). You have to put aside any principles of respecting the rule of law and of fair play in the immigration process for people from other countries that don’t share a border with the U.S. … or you have to be gullible enough to believe he will actually do something about it.

Think he’s good on taxes? You have to forget that at the time he opposed Bush’s tax cuts, it was on the class-warfare grounds that “the rich don’t need a tax cut”. And you have to overlook his current proposal with Lieberman that will add an average of $1000 tax burden to each family in the U.S. Or, if you don’t want to overlook those things, you can compromise and just go along with the idea that keeping taxes low is no longer important.

And on McVain-Lieberman? You have to overlook that he’s bought into Gore-bal warming, hook, line, and sinker … or believe that basing such policy on sound scientific principles is no longer important?

Oppose abortion? You have to overlook his position in FEC vs. Wisconsin Right-to-Life, not to mention his squishiness on the issue of judicial appointments.

The list goes on and on. To vote for McVain, you either need to suspend belief, or compromise an overwhelming majority long-standing conservative principles. While none of the candidates we fielded this year was ever perfect, the problem with McVain is that his is just so damned imperfect.

He’s too flawed on too many issues of fundamental importance to the conservative movement, so much to the point that I just can’t bring myself to vote for him against anybody the democrats will field, even Hillary. He’s that bad.

thirteen28 on January 28, 2008 at 1:10 PM

Because they all are.

fogw on January 28, 2008 at 12:52 PM

The only way I forsee getting a candidate that we don’t have to hold our noses to vote for is to not vote for those we do. Even if that means an even worse candidate getting elected.

There’s no incentive for the worst of our elected officials to change their ways so long as we keep voting them in no matter what they do.

Hollowpoint on January 28, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Hollowpoint on January 28, 2008 at 1:34 PM

You just blew my mind.

fogw on January 28, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Hollowpoint on January 28, 2008 at 1:34 PM

I understood every word of your statement Hollowpoint. I agree.

kcd on January 28, 2008 at 1:47 PM

I wish Jeb would hurry up with the Mitt endorsement while it can still help.

NTWR on January 28, 2008 at 1:47 PM

You just blew my mind.

fogw on January 28, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Fogw, If we refrain from voting for the “hold our noses and vote” RINO’s, then maybe, just maybe, the Repubs will get the message after they have lost several elections. We want a conservative, NOT a rino!

kcd on January 28, 2008 at 1:49 PM

kcd on January 28, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Maybe huh? After we have lost several elections? That’s one hell of a strategy. Let’s hope things get better if we don’t vote.

If the Dems win “several elections” while you’re waiting for Republicans to come to their senses, you may find yourself staring at nuclear fireballs, courtesy of OBL and friends.

While you’re waiting for your Utopia, the Dems will put us all in grave danger. They cower to the terrorists.

Throw that into your wait and see equation.

fogw on January 28, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Throw that into your wait and see equation.

fogw on January 28, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Sorry Fogw, bad wording,let me clarify. By lost elections, I mean Repubs running for election/re-election, in 08. Not years & years of election cylcles.

kcd on January 28, 2008 at 2:33 PM

With the current crop of candidates(on both sides) we are pretty much screwed no matter who wins their party’s nomination and who wins the General.

We are probably a little less screwed if Romney gets the nomination, but that’s nothing I’d stand up and cheer for.

The one small hope I have is that none of these bozos get a clear lead, that there is a brokered GOP convention and someone decent gets drafted…. And that is as unlikely as me winning Powerball (I don’t play the lottery).

LegendHasIt on January 28, 2008 at 3:41 PM

kcd,

one cycle = one four year term as president

You’re saying, it’s acceptable to you to have Hillary or Obama as our Commander in Chief for four years. And by making that choice, you’re banking on a 100% true conservative coming forward to run in the next cycle because the Republicans were somehow taught a lesson. Wow!

Sorry, we’ll just have to disagree I guess. My reason for getting out to vote, even for a republican whose politics I despise, is far different than yours. I have a son in the service, currently back home for a stretch, and since he told me he doesn’t want Hillary or Obama as his commander I will do all I can to make sure those cowards are not at the helm. For his sake ….. and every other soldier with boots on the ground.

cheers.

fogw on January 28, 2008 at 3:51 PM

cheers.

fogw on January 28, 2008 at 3:51 PM

Then we will agree to disagree fogw. Please send my regards to your son. I thank him for his service and you for your sacrifice. I will pray for him as I do all the troops and their families.

kcd on January 28, 2008 at 4:27 PM

is it just me, or does anyone else think that any one who actively wants to be POTUS, should automatically be disqualified from obtaining the position??? almost all of the carreer politicians are crap wealsles IMHO

mrfixit on January 28, 2008 at 6:44 PM