Billy Jeff: Hey, you know who Obama reminds me of? Jesse Jackson

posted at 12:15 pm on January 27, 2008 by Allahpundit

Duly flagged in last night’s primary thread when it broke, I’m bringing it back because it’s too sweet not to reprise. The Clenis got a bad rap on race-baiting for his “fairy tale” comment but he’s caught red-handed here and seems to realize it. What’s shocking isn’t the fact that the Clintons would stoop to playing racial games — unless your name’s Jonathan Chait — but the clumsiness of the way Slick plays this one. The question has nothing to do with race or Jesse Jackson; Clinton injects that, then appears to catch himself and backtrack about what a super-keen campaign Obama’s run. The left’s picked this up (the video is from TPM) so expect some media attention for it in the next day or two, especially to bolster the congealing storyline that BJ’s tactics killed Hillary in South Carolina. This little parting shot may hurt her most of all, in fact, as the sheer artlessness of it throws a spotlight on any attempts by Team Clinton going forward to frame Obama’s win as a “black” victory.

Meanwhile, the Messiah shrewdly stays above the fray: “I don’t think [Bill and Hillary Clinton] were trying to demonize me.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

peacenprosperity on January 27, 2008 at 1:23 PM

Your ignore the hard work, dedication and verifiable intellect it takes to be admitted to and graduate from Harvard or other Ivy Leagues schools. Being a good listener won’t cut it. It’s very easy to ignore the facts when you don’t or can’t understand them. But, I am sure you don’t ever have to worry about being mistaken for a Harvard grad.

As far as Republicans nominating JC Watts or Ken Blackwell just to keep up with the Joneses, that is simply stupid. EVERYBODY would see it for what it’s worth. Secondly, to do so would be patently offensive to black conservatives and Republicans.

More importantly, if Republicans start acting like Democrats, I and many other black conservatives will give you the same one-finger-salute we give to the libtards.

Michael Steele is definitely ready for prime time. But you have belittled him before the fact. I mean, it sounds like you picked the first three black guys that came to mind. I don’t know from which illustrious learning institution you gleaned your insights, but I’m guessing it’s more bush league than Ivy.

The Race Card on January 27, 2008 at 4:56 PM

If we’re going to nominate people based on race, I nominate Dave Chappelle.

The Race Card on January 27, 2008 at 4:59 PM

graduate from Harvard or other Ivy Leagues schools

No quotas at Harvard? All grades, especially in political science, are based on merit and not ideology?

EVERYBODY would see it for what it’s worth

Are those guys tokens?

Really? It wouldn’t be offensive to me. I would vote for a true conservative in a second if he was purple. It’s the liberals who are showing thier racism in opposition and thier tokenism in support. That guy isn’t qualified to be a senator and he’s winning.

Isn’t being the opposition all about providing an alternative? I don’t think JC Watts is a token member of the republican party as a matter of fact I consider him more conservative then the powers that be. And if you would be offended by the republicans acting like democrats then take a look at the last 7 years and get pissed. They got there asses handed to them in 2006 because of exactly that.

peacenprosperity on January 27, 2008 at 5:22 PM

Ooohhhh. You are an ivy leaguer. I get it.

Well at least you’ve left the dark side and come into the light.

peacenprosperity on January 27, 2008 at 5:23 PM

The Race Card on January 27, 2008 at 4:59 PM

What do you mean if? Who is Dave Chappelle.If he’s Jewish, I’ll vote for him too.

JiangxiDad on January 27, 2008 at 5:23 PM

IF we add a black VP candidate all we would hear is “Tokenism” leveled at the Candidate

Why do we assume that and not the opposite. That black voters are able to look at the two and thier parties and make a clear decision. Lets not forget that the demo process is a long way from over and these two candidates are going to drag each other threw the mud for a long time with edwards standing nearby poking them with a stick. I am out in all kinds of communities in my work and the sense I get when talking to my black clients is that they are as nearly as conservative as I am but vote democrat out of habit and tradition. That goes for most of my jewish friends. A talk about life and persoanl philosopht and you are certain you are talking to a conservative and then ask who they vote for and fall out of your chair.

peacenprosperity on January 27, 2008 at 5:34 PM

In fact is evidence that Mitt’s Mormonism does hurt him.

That’s what the msm and thier polls tells us isn’t it? And we all know they are 100% objective and have no agenda.

peacenprosperity on January 27, 2008 at 5:36 PM

On second reading, I don’t think you’ve come fully out of the dark. Exactly who would you pick who is known nationally and has solid conservative creds. You still seem to have a little liberal sensitivity going there. One thing about being a conservative is that you don’t take the world personally.

Since the Civil War the republican party has been putting black Americans into positions of power and responsibility. If barry, who in my opinion was a cynical token choice of the powers that be in the democrat party that has blown up in their face, should be the candidate for the democrats, why not put an alternative out there. Men of achievement, character and depth. I named those three because they are the most prominent, visible conservatives who actively seek higher office (with the exeption of JC). And frankly, since I respect all three, I’m a little offended that you insinuated they were somehow tokens and not deserving of that position. And another thing, I would think if you were a true conservative you would be chomping at the bit to put a black conservative out there for the black community to take a look at. I don’t know what your daily experiences are, but I find the middle class blacks I have met live thier lives in a manner more similar to conservatives then liberals no matter how they vote.

peacenprosperity on January 27, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Another canard. I have a lifetime friend with a near perfect SAT and a 4.3 GPA. She was editor of her school paper, a varsity athlete and she has volunteered more in her short life than many people will in a lifetime. She got admitted to Berkely, but not UCLA. She was accepted at Brown, but not Harvard.

If one could be admitted just because they are minority, the minority numbers would be higher. You choose to believe otherwise for your own personal reasons or demons. College admissions is not so clear cut as you suggest. If you are telling me that most minority Harvard students are not duly qualified, then you win the argument. I don’t argue with fools.

I would vote for a true conservative in a second if he was purple.

People are not purple. Your willingness to vote for purple people only proves to me that you have a great imagination. It does not however, connote that right-on-race attitude I think you’re going for. It’s a purple black red herring. It’s BS.

Nobody called JC watts a token. You consistently ignore the arguments as I have presented them. Why? The answer is obvious. You have no argument with which to contest me.

JC Watts is a bona fide conservative. So what? You still mentioned him just because he’s black. What are his fiscal policies? What about his voting record? His name recognition outside of OK is limited. He’s not currently in office, etc.

Ooohhhh. You are an ivy leaguer. I get it.

Well at least you’ve left the dark side and come into the light.

peacenprosperity on January 27, 2008 at 5:23 PM

I took a summer college course at Cornell when I was still in high school. And yeah I was admitted to more than one prestigious university. But liberal professors are ubiquitous. The education I got was based on my hard work and the balls it took to stand up for my personaly beliefs regardless of the audience.

We have no argument there. That’s why you don’t see or hear me kissing partisan ass.

The Race Card on January 27, 2008 at 6:09 PM

Your smarminess and continuiing failure at humor lead me to believe that you are not as conservative as you let on.

I name the three prominent, young black conservatives and you accuse me of ignorance and tokenism. You don’t counter with anyone else I might consider.

Get over yourself and work on that chip. pal.

peacenprosperity on January 27, 2008 at 6:16 PM

peacenprosperity on January 27, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Here’s the deal. You win. Whatever you say…go with that. I can’t argue with someone who seems to know everything.

Also, thank you for explaining what it’s like to be black to me. You’re right. I never noticed how conservative traditional black values are. My grandparents, parents and all the other blacks in my life somehow missed the chance to impart such wisdom.

Somehow you have triumphed where others failed. You are the light of my day, if not my life. Thank you.

The Race Card on January 27, 2008 at 6:18 PM

Your welcome. Try Ben-Gay on the chip.

peacenprosperity on January 27, 2008 at 6:23 PM

peacenprosperity on January 27, 2008 at 1:23 PM

I don’t think it makes any sense to pick a VP candidate based on how they match up against the other party’s Presidential candidate. Even if someone was motivated by race, why would they vote for a black VP over a black President? That doesn’t make any sense.

You pick a VP based on their ability to “round out” your own candidate’s weaknesses. So if our Presidential candidate is Mitt, it would make sense to consider someone like Colin Powell as VP to bolseter his foreign policy credentials. Or, a Southern conservative to broaden his appeal in the south. With someone like McCain you’ll want an anti-amnesty, die-hard conservative on the ticket.

Spolitics on January 27, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Your welcome. Try Ben-Gay on the chip.

peacenprosperity on January 27, 2008 at 6:23 PM

Most of your arguments are phrased in ways that illustrate why black citizens don’t trust the party. “Here let me tell you who the number two will be. See I put a person of color on the ticket. Now switch parties and in eight years I might put the VP at the head of the ticket.”

IMHO that is exactly how you come across to many people. You don’t have to be a racist to be insulting and rude.

Bradky on January 27, 2008 at 6:54 PM

I wet my pants from laughter every time the Dumbs fight each other over race.

Now we see who are the true racists in this country.

madmonkphotog on January 27, 2008 at 7:47 PM

For the record, I support Michael Steele for VP because he’s first and foremost a true conservative, he is well-spoken, he could lead the country should something unfortunate happen, and he is not tied at the hip to Washington insiders.

He also doesn’t owe any favors to the NAACP or Shapton-Jackson Race War Unlimited.

BKennedy on January 27, 2008 at 8:31 PM

They know how to play the Latinos against African Americans. Clever racists!

saved on January 27, 2008 at 9:07 PM

… I support Michael Steele…

BKennedy on January 27, 2008 at 8:31 PM

Me too. He’s AAA, five star, one of our heavy hitters.

petefrt on January 27, 2008 at 9:40 PM

peacenprosperity on January 27, 2008 at 6:23 PM

Try an apostrophe on your contraction. You’re welcome, genius.

BKennedy on January 27, 2008 at 8:31 PM

I think many Republicans were hoping for him to win his bid for the US Senate. He is a definitely a standout. He ran a clean campaign and held his own against two solid opponents. It would have been nice to seem him instead of Amnesty Mel as head of the RNC after his defeat.

Oh yeah, he’s black too.

Bradky on January 27, 2008 at 6:54 PM

One doesn’t have to be smart to be a smartass, either. The sweet irony is that this genius started by downplaying someone else’s intellect.

It’s like the pot calling the kettle black. Hey! There are two more black candidates for him.

The Race Card on January 27, 2008 at 10:11 PM

Here’s something Slick Willy doesn’t realize,
when he was in the oval office he good say anything,
get away with anything,Hillary was left to clean up
the mess.Bill had Paul Begala,Leon Panatte,Robert
Reich,James Carville who were on CNN 24/7 to spin
and hammer home talkin points.

Nobodys is coming forward to defend Slick Bill.
In his actions and words Bill Clinton is nothing
more than a racist!

canopfor on January 27, 2008 at 10:33 PM

Well, at least he’s not saying “Michael Jackson”.

cthulhu on January 27, 2008 at 11:04 PM

In fact is evidence that Mitt’s Mormonism does hurt him.

How so? If dude was an atheist, it wouldn’t be a big deal, but if he’s a Mormon, it is? As long as he doesn’t say anything crazy like “If I’m elected, bigamy will be legalized”, then I don’t think I could give less of a rat’s posterior than I already do about his Mormonism.

crushliberalism on January 28, 2008 at 7:40 AM

How so? If dude was an atheist, it wouldn’t be a big deal…

crushliberalism on January 28, 2008 at 7:40 AM

Dude, an atheist would never be elected, not even given the chance to run.
As for Michael Steele, if he is smart (and he is) he will sit this one out. He is young, why tie himself to either McCain or Mitt, neither one will win.
I would like to see him stay away from this election, and choose a real conservative to run with.

right2bright on January 28, 2008 at 8:37 AM

right2bright on January 28, 2008 at 8:37 AM

Star Parker just finished kicking Fred when he’s down.

Looks like we’re adding another to the list of “not real conservatives” who didn’t jump whole hog for FDT.

BKennedy on January 28, 2008 at 11:13 AM

That’s a hyper sensitive knee jerk reaction that assumes the same of minority citizens. Being a conservative means not giving into the Orwellian word games and identity politics of the left and standing on principal. The republicans can’t nominate a solid conservative who is black because the democrats have a presidential candidate who is black? read this and tell me how having a black conservative on the ticket will look cheap and token. The guys I mentioned did not choose to run for president, they will have been chosen by thier party. That’s an insult? A conservative who is for fighting illegal immigration as opposed to an amnesty pushing open borders liberal? It’s obvious I’m the one who thinks higher of black voters in this arguement. I am so tired of watching psuedo-conservatives insist that we always have to play by the leftist rules and always be afraid of what they will think of us.

peacenprosperity on January 28, 2008 at 11:28 AM

So add a liberal to the ticket and principle and ideas be damned? How about adding an alternative who espouses conservative values, work hard to get the truth out and then trust the American people to make the choice?

Nah. Lets keep playing by the rules of the left and the msm. Let’s keep being afraid of what they will think of us. The American voters don’t reject conservatism, they reject the perception of conservatism fed to them by the msm. So the republicans, instead of putting up a real fight and correcting that perception, when they play the leftists game lose everytime.

peacenprosperity on January 28, 2008 at 12:13 PM

It’s obvious I’m the one who thinks higher of black voters in this arguement.

Yeah that’s it. You are the example all Republicans and conservatives should follow. What would we do without you?

We get it. You are one of those beacons of lights. You’re the North Star leading us out of bondage to salvation. You are the Golden Spike of the Underground Railroad. I google mapped The Promised Land, and found you.

Honestly. You sound like you carry around some pretty heavy baggage. You have posited the idea of your racially-righteous thinking numerous times in this thread. Your black best friend must be proud.

We shall overcome.

The Race Card on January 28, 2008 at 3:54 PM

The Race Card

Man, are you a jerkoff. Your screen name says it all. Loser.

peacenprosperity on January 28, 2008 at 4:49 PM

Hmmm. I hit a sore spot.

Anybody who reads the thread knows the deal. You insulted someone’s intelligence only to have yours questioned. Then you were challenged on your political ideals. That’s what happens on blogs.

I don’t take your comments personally. You can call me a pseudo-conservative, a jerkoff, a liberal-by-way-of-Cambridge. None of that matters.

I do not have an emotional attachment to the information exchanged. We merely disagree on the facts.

Look. If I really offended you, then I’m sorry. Sometimes, people make assumptions about my opinions because I don’t always parrot the party line. Then they get stung when don’t bury my head in the sand.

When I’m sparring, I go at 3/4 speed. That means that sometimes, someone’s gonna catch a smarting blow. But, you just wipe up the blood and go another round…or cheer for the next guys in the ring.

You threw some sharp elbows yourself. I applaud you. I’d much rather have a beer with someone who can handle themselves than some pushover, which you are not.

Despite the contention, I appreciate your opinion and harbor no ill will towards you.

The Race Card on January 28, 2008 at 5:12 PM

Go back and read the postings, loser. You insulted me in your first posting then continued your attack with irrelevant trivia from your desperate and conflicted life. You called me ignorant and a racist because I dared to make observations, all positive, about black Americans. You, in a sarcastic manner, let everyone know that you consider any discussion of black Americans your place only, don’t dare talk about blacks if you are not black around the correctly named Race Card. You argue in a circuitous, increasingly irrelevent and angry manner, contradicting yourself as you go. You hit no sore spot. I just think you are a jerkoff and, let me add, a conflicted, angry loser. I hope someday you feel better about yourself.

Have a good night.

peacenprosperity on January 28, 2008 at 5:39 PM

peacenprosperity on January 28, 2008 at 5:39 PM

Well, I don’t think you’re racist; I never referred to you thusly. In fact, I think your intentions are genuine. I just think your solutions are a little off-kilter.

However, the conclusions you draw clearly reflect your own guilt and/or personal misgivings about these matters.

You are entirely unwilling to acknowledge your role in this little back-and-forth. You invested about thousands of keystrokes in arguing with someone you don’t think worthy of your time. What does that say about you? Why was it so important to make the points you did to someone so beneath your regard?

Your logic and denial suits you perfectly. You started out insulting and ended up doing the same.

Enjoy mediocrity. You’re halfway to perfection.

The Race Card on January 28, 2008 at 5:57 PM