Erin Burnett on Apple: From “it” stock to “sh*t” stock

posted at 12:34 pm on January 25, 2008 by Allahpundit

Once again I find myself rushing to her defense, spurred on by the rule that bears her name. Lots of buzz about this incident this morning, but what’d she really say? No one seems to know for sure, although that didn’t stop Page Six from working up an item hinting that it was an on-air slip and a new “embarrassment” for CNBC on the heels of it her “rich dudes impress me” op-ed. HuffPo duly took the handoff but had to correct itself after Silicon Valley Insider assured them that no, it wasn’t a slip, the whole thing had been scripted and thus apparently blessed by CNBC brass. Who’s right? Thanks to the magic of RedLasso, now it can be told.

Verdict: A cheap, dopey joke, yet somehow … charming and delightful. I can see why Rush digs her.

Comments

hilarious, looks like the new apple air laptop is going to bomb, its been getting really crappy reviews.

zane on January 25, 2008 at 12:36 PM

A cheap, dopey joke, yet somehow … charming and delightful.

Resist the dark side, AP.

MadisonConservative on January 25, 2008 at 12:41 PM

zane, I wouldn’t be too sure about that prediction.

I think the MacBook Air is a silly machine. It’s not really a sub-notebook. It’s a lightweight laptop. But that doesn’t mean legions of Mac Zealots aren’t dying to purchase one. It’s still WAYYYYYY too soon to call it a bomb.

HebrewToYou on January 25, 2008 at 12:42 PM

That new Apple laptop lack any sort of optical drives and lots of other standard stuff.

Why get all hot and heavy over a laptop only b/c it weighs three pounds? Are Apple users such ****ies that a five or seven pound laptop is too taxing?

Hoodlumman on January 25, 2008 at 12:43 PM

Erin, you brazen hussy.

Always Right on January 25, 2008 at 12:43 PM

Yes, the Macbook Air is a big disappointment. If you just wanted a Wifi device, you can just get an iPhone or iPod touch, and it would be just as good as that thin piece of s*** (yes, I will use that word). In trying to make a thin laptop, Apple got rid of a lot, namely the optical drive.

mram on January 25, 2008 at 12:43 PM

who fraking cares if she said sh*t or not. The question is, is apple becoming a sh*t stock?

elBarto on January 25, 2008 at 12:45 PM

elBarto on January 25, 2008 at 12:45 PM

It may be too early to tell, but I think this year will not be as good as last year. How the hell can they top the iPhone?

mram on January 25, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Meh, it’s not like she’s the one who writes the lines on the teleprompter anyways- can’t really pin this on Burnett if you’re offended. And I’m not.

Hollowpoint on January 25, 2008 at 12:47 PM

It is a WiFi device with a 13″ screen and full sized keyboard, and it can, through the magic of Apple’s software, “borrow” the optical drive of any other computer Mac or PC that it can connect to. Pretty impressive.

tommylotto on January 25, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Please keep falling! I missed the opportunity to buy at $100.

Seriously, Apple is becoming a new Consumer Electronics giant. I, for one, welcome our new Jobs-designed overloads.

ErikTheRed on January 25, 2008 at 12:47 PM

My laptop is even lighter! Of course, there’s no CD/DVD, no hard drive, no keyboard or pesky monitor, no wireless card…but it is sooo light!

stonemeister on January 25, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Erin Burnett just hates Apple because it won’t buy her a weekend spa with her girlfriends.

BKennedy on January 25, 2008 at 12:48 PM

ROFL

Maybe she should buy the .Mac service.

HebrewToYou on January 25, 2008 at 12:51 PM

Beauty, Brains, and a Potty Mouth.

Me Likey!

Kini on January 25, 2008 at 12:51 PM

+1. Just a dopey, scripted joke. I’m not outraged!!!1!eleventy1

Spirit of 1776 on January 25, 2008 at 12:52 PM

Ha, she didn’t even try to break up the word. Nice.

Vizzini on January 25, 2008 at 12:52 PM

I don’t think she’s all that hot. Her nose is kinda funny lookin’. And the new Mac Air is a piece of over-priced crap. I’m typing this from an Apple, BTW. Most of the “macatrons” I’ve spoken with all agree–it’s pointless, and a bomb.

robblefarian on January 25, 2008 at 1:00 PM

Are Apple users such ****ies that a five or seven pound laptop is too taxing?

Apple is the computer of choice for graphic designers.

Do the math.

benjamin on January 25, 2008 at 1:03 PM

You windoze mouth-breathers are a hoot.

LOL

What’s that sound? Oh, it’s your knuckles dragging….

Dr. Gecko on January 25, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Foul msm slut. I see a future of partying with Paris for her.

peacenprosperity on January 25, 2008 at 1:08 PM

aren’t you allowed to swear on cable?

surely we’re not upset at the plain meaning of her words?

here’s a clue: apple is crap. if you run an apple computer in your home, you are a retard.

what happened is that you saw several of their commercials. their commercials are like twelve step group therapy, wherein the observation of other people who are just as retarded as you confessing their retardation draws you into a warm feeling of “community” with a retard brotherhood+ and makes you feel inappropriately “okay” with remaining retarded.

the commercials feature complaints about actual computers such as this actual quote, “i can’t even find the ‘on’ switches on those things.”

and that’s what you responded to when you made your purchase decision. you are a drooling incompetent imbecil who is afraid of actual computing, and you should be denied access to the internet and instead be bred for meat in front of a television tuned to webtv.

jummy on January 25, 2008 at 1:10 PM

News reader, end of story.

koolbrease on January 25, 2008 at 1:11 PM

It is a WiFi device with a 13″ screen and full sized keyboard,…
tommylotto on January 25, 2008 at 12:47 PM

wow. it seems that if you pry that smoked polyethelene apple logo off the top, the price drops to about $400!

jummy on January 25, 2008 at 1:19 PM

USE YOUR COMMON SENSE PEOPLE:

Once those $600 checks are issued by the government this Spring, Apple’s stock is going to rise very fast due to people buying iPods and iPhones with their rebate checks… If you dump Apple stock that is very serious mistake… In case you want proof see VISTA!!!!

IntheNet on January 25, 2008 at 1:19 PM

Is that like App to Crapp?
Must be serious, must be serious, this is cable, must be serious, this is news, must be serious…

right2bright on January 25, 2008 at 1:20 PM

Heh. Here’s the difference between Mac users and PC users: The Mac Users have used a PC and a Mac, and choose Mac. The PC users generally haven’t used a Mac and buy into Microsoft’s borg mentality.

As for the Macbook Air, sales have been through the roof. It’s not aimed at being someone’s only computer: it’s aimed at being a lightweight travel machine. I’d never buy the Macbook Air for my only machine. I might consider it if I have a iMac though. Or another machine I spend most of my time on.

Vanceone on January 25, 2008 at 1:21 PM

A SECOND LOOK AT DIRTY TALK!

natesnake on January 25, 2008 at 1:22 PM

Eh.

Who cares what she says on the air; no one’s listening. And when she says something truly scandalous — and this was not it — her looks will not bail her out, since she’s decidedly not hot.

Jaibones on January 25, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Vanceone on January 25, 2008 at 1:21 PM6

nope. that’s the difference between straights and bi’s. the difference between mac users and pc users is that when a lightbulb burns out in their apartment, they screech and call the landlord.

jummy on January 25, 2008 at 1:28 PM

mac users, that is.

jummy on January 25, 2008 at 1:28 PM

Has anyone been in an Apple store recently? It’s like being in a sardine can it’s so packed in there…

freakagriep on January 25, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Apple is the computer of choice for graphic designers.

Do the math.

benjamin on January 25, 2008 at 1:03 PM

So what you’re saying is that Apple = teh ghey?

Hollowpoint on January 25, 2008 at 1:34 PM

I sense that Jummy has issues. Or he works for CNet. Or Microsoft.

Fact is, there’s generally speaking only three valid objections to using a mac (There’s other valid ones for some uses, of course):

1) Software. This isn’t as critical as it used to be, as lots of software is written for the Mac, including best of breed stuff. Only the isolated company access database would count, and Bootcamp fixes that issue.

2) Price. This is an odd one: Macs are more expensive, but not to a comparably equipped PC. There isn’t any cheap box of junk that Dell ships equivalent on the Mac side, though. So yeah, a bare-bones PC or one you build yourself is cheaper…. but you get what you pay for.

3) Perception. This isn’t really valid in my opinion, but the fact remains Mac USER’s have a perception problem, plus Gore on the board. That disgusts me, of course. But still, it’s the best product, so I’m willing to overlook those things (along with Rush, so I’m in good company here).

And, of course, there’s numerous reasons to use a Mac: from security to hardware quality and support to OS X, which is tons better than what Microsoft is selling.

Vanceone on January 25, 2008 at 1:38 PM

Every ghey person I know uses a Mac.

True story.

Mostly.

natesnake on January 25, 2008 at 1:47 PM

Let’s see. My MacBook Pro has lasted longer than both of my Dell desktops and my HP notebook combined. By the time all three of those P.C.’s booted up, I was booted up, online, found the information I needed, and shut down my Mac. Who needs an optical drive? I download any movies I want to watch. Who wants to do a windows security update every day? Who wants to constantly have to install plug ins for software that won’t work with Microsoft? Who wants to buy new software because their old software isn’t compatible with Vista? Not me. I bought my MacBook so I could USE it. Not constantly fix it.

calirighty on January 25, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Natesnake: Every gay person uses toilet paper too (at least, I hope so). I’m very heterosexual, and I use a Mac.

Though I do expect Jummy to chime in with “Osama uses a mac–it’s what made him become a terrorist!!!!” soon.

Vanceone on January 25, 2008 at 1:50 PM

Any time someone tells me they use/unnaturally-love Macs, I sense the liberal force in them.

Ultimately, a lot of liberals like to feel “different” from everyone else. It gives them a sense of superiority. They trend Mac because of the underdog mentality.

My unscientific opinion of course.

natesnake on January 25, 2008 at 1:52 PM

I don’t think she’s all that hot. Her nose is kinda funny lookin’.

Fie! I love her adorable button pug nose! A girl with nostrils like that can hold her breath for a long time, and that will come in handy if she ever has to swim for safety!

Kensington on January 25, 2008 at 1:54 PM

I’m very heterosexual, and I use a Mac.

Mostly.

It’s all good. I aint judge’n.

natesnake on January 25, 2008 at 1:54 PM

calirighty on January 25, 2008 at 1:49 PM

i basicly never have to do anything with my pc but open the software and use it.

when i want to try a new technology, i’m able to.

jummy on January 25, 2008 at 1:55 PM

But I thought stock prices only went up, up, up! Seriously, who could be disappointed with this but someone who just got in (or someone, like me, who got out waaaaay too early): AAPL

calbear on January 25, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Most graphic designers I know use both PC and Mac. Certain programs run better on one platform over another.

Most people in the building-design/construction industry trend PC because…. that’s what most people have.

natesnake on January 25, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Vanceone on January 25, 2008 at 1:50 PM

mac users don’t even factor into eppic narratives of goood versus evil. they’re more like the townspeople who pull their shutters tight when the fighting begins.

jummy on January 25, 2008 at 1:58 PM

When my wife (no I’m not gay) and I flew home during the holidays we were delayed at the airport. I broke out my Mac laptop to kill some time. I noticed about 10 other people in the terminal doing the same thing and only one of them was using a PC. And that person was asking me about my Mac. HaHaHaHa. I was a former PC guy. Now I won’t touch them.

calirighty on January 25, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Shut your mouth and “move closer to the camera.”

cat-scratch on January 25, 2008 at 2:00 PM

natesnake on January 25, 2008 at 1:58 PM

it the math. architecture is more serious than making an animated button for your freinds’ band’s webpage, so architects and engeneers use pc.

jummy on January 25, 2008 at 2:01 PM

mram on January 25, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Folks were asking that after the iPod as well. ;)

Personally, the absence of an optical drive means only one thing, really – you can’t play dvd’s on it? I haven’t really considered getting one (not much of a Mac person), but… I don’t travel, and don’t need a laptop for playing DVD’s. That’s what the home theater is for, thanks.

If I was a Mac user and needed a laptop? *shrug* Why not the new one? *shrug* I wish I had bought Apple stock back the last few times when people were trashing and writing it off.

Midas on January 25, 2008 at 2:01 PM

SEE! SEE! SEE! THE GHEY IS CONTAGIOUS!

*runs away screaming*

natesnake on January 25, 2008 at 2:02 PM

so architects and engeneers use pc.

Yup. It’s the gold standard in every firm I know.

natesnake on January 25, 2008 at 2:05 PM

Regardless of the PC vs. Mac slapfight, this is just another case of how “reporting” has transformed from telling the facts to trying to shape the facts.

Newsreaders don’t even seem to be aware of the fact anymore. It’s all sensationalism and agenda. If someone were to actually just report the facts dispassionately, it would seem strange to us because it never happens anymore.

Merovign on January 25, 2008 at 2:05 PM

This graphic designer has used both, Macs drive me crazy and are too damn expensive to do so little. When I want to upgrade my PC I go buy hardware at a third the price, to upgrade my Mac I get to go buy a brand new machine and use the old one as a boat anchor.

That being said, they both suck.

Ciannaky on January 25, 2008 at 2:07 PM

Another Mac/PC flame fest? I think Allah posts Mac crap just to set off the war. How many times have we been through this?

Now, back to my Tandy…

robblefarian on January 25, 2008 at 2:12 PM

I remember similar comments when Macs started coming out without floppy drives. Now try to find a computer that still has them.

Apple has a great track record in predicting which way technology is going to go and getting ahead of the curve. Just look at the growth in Wi-Fi connection options and tell me that wireless not going to be the way to go. Even air carriers are starting to experiment with on-board wireless internet. In the next couple of years, I think we are going to see a lot of shift to straight wireless connections – even for software installs.

The hard drive on the Macbook Air does seem a bit wimpy, but I expect Apple may be pushing more iDisk storage as well.

For the record, I have both PCs and Macs in my office. I use the PC because I have to for some things, but I use the Mac because I like to.

P.S. … and I’m not gay!

tballard on January 25, 2008 at 2:13 PM

Come on AP, you just like to think she is talking dirty to you!

Sad dude, really sad. You and your I-Phone need to get out more.

conservnut on January 25, 2008 at 2:13 PM

I blame the baby boomers who always have to be different.

Watched this on PBS made my skin crawl and explained a lot at the same time. I was impressed as the host was able to continuously pat himself on the back all the time having his head shoved neck deep in his @%%.

TroubledMonkey on January 25, 2008 at 2:19 PM

So are CNBC’s ratings in the sh*tter behind Fox Business Channel and that is why they have to resort to these antics?

Brat on January 25, 2008 at 2:20 PM

I say she gets a total pass on this one.

Say a stock was “it” now “shit” is just effective communicating.

PolitiNOOB on January 25, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Know what is supposed to make a huge comeback for graphic work? The Amiga… very fast and stable.

Ciannaky on January 25, 2008 at 2:29 PM

Apple will continue to do great economically, irregardless of suggestions posed by a pretty smile on TV. Yes, that’s the term:Erin B is a pretty smile.

Doug on January 25, 2008 at 2:33 PM

Macs are fine. My 6-year-old son’s 1st-generation iMac runs xubuntu Linux beautifully. I’ve harbored a little resentment towards Apple since college, since I paid 2 grand for an SE after a schoolwide Apple promotion and 2 weeks later, with no warning, they launch the SE/30.

What I want to know is, what are you people doing paying for an operating system? :-)

DrSteve on January 25, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Boy, good thing she wasn’t associated with ESPN or the Golf Channel, huh?

pilamaye on January 25, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Erin Burnett, hmmmm. Guess I need to watch more CNBC.

As for Apple and Macs, a deserved reputation for great ideas, but the company’s poor quality has long been an issue (but the fanatics only now are willing to admit it). Bought two ipods from them, only to have one die within weeks of purchase. Based on that 50% rate of success (and the HORRIBLE customer service I received–I basically gave up trying to get a fix or replacement) I’d be hard pressed to drop the money needed to buy one of their desk tops. There is some reason for optimism now that they are using Intel chips, though.

Oh yeah, and that thin notebook is sooooo stupid. Like all ultra-light laptops, it’s clearly under powered from my read of the specs.

doufree on January 25, 2008 at 2:43 PM

*TSTOCKSH*TSTOCKSH*TSTOCK
SH*TSTOCKSH*TSTOCKSH*TSTO
CKSH*TSTOCKSH*TSTOCKSH*TS
TOCKSH*TSTOCKSH*TSTOCKSH*

MikeZero on January 25, 2008 at 2:48 PM

MikeZero on January 25, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Behold the power of the semicolon!

Man, I miss my TRS-80 (and my CoCo, and my Sinclair, and my Altair…)

DrSteve on January 25, 2008 at 2:50 PM

MikeZero on January 25, 2008 at 2:48 PM

At 1.7 MHz that must have taken all afternoon to process.

Ciannaky on January 25, 2008 at 2:53 PM

The Mac Air is a bomb. Even diehard Mac fans (redundant, I know) won’t buy it. They’ll defend it all day long, but that’s about it.

It’s thin and light. It’s also very expensive and very underpowered. The next generation should be better with the newer processor, but for the price it’s not worth considering by anyone.

Asher on January 25, 2008 at 3:15 PM

You know, we just don’t need crudities peppering our news programming.

thegreatbeast on January 25, 2008 at 3:22 PM

Apple is the computer of choice for graphic designers.

Do the math.

benjamin on January 25, 2008 at 1:03 PM

Graphic designers that want to wait forever for their renderings, and encoding..

Both PC and Mac use the same Processors however you can easily Overclock a PC to get tremendous results in multimedia applications like video editing, 3D rendering, etc..

Why buy an expensive mac when you can buy a 2.4GHZ Q6600 G0 Process for $250

And easily overclock it past 3GHZ
(A 3GHZ Quad Core goes for about $1000) …

(Thats at least $750 in savings,lots of people have gone way beyond 3GHZ with the Q6600)

Buy a Mac, you are stuck with that you get.

Chakra Hammer on January 25, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Slip in to Red Eye mode with me for just a moment as I say: “I’d like to make her do embarrassing things in heels.”

RightWinged on January 25, 2008 at 3:33 PM

jummy on January 25, 2008 at 1:19 PM

IT Runs LINUX!!!!!!!
Dood you had me at LINUX…..

(Trys to hide the Drool)

-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on January 25, 2008 at 3:35 PM

Get a Q6600 with ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 or Thermalright Ultra-120 EX. and OC!

Chakra Hammer on January 25, 2008 at 3:40 PM

aren’t you allowed to swear on cable?

You can say/show anything you want on cable.

I use OS X because I spend most of my day interacting with web servers (running GNU/Linux). I got used to the power of Unix, so I tried switching from Windows XP to Ubuntu. I was spending too much time configuring things and it was slowing me down. So I got a Mac. The power of Unix in a nice user-friendly GUI. It’ll do until GNU/Linux matures some more.

I don’t think there’s anything that would convince me to go back to Windows. Especially since Microsoft is shoving the craptacular Windows Vista downgrade down everyone’s throat.

Mark Jaquith on January 25, 2008 at 3:44 PM

Someone fire her. She’ll find one of those rich guys she is after. ( or Hugh Hefner or Larry Flint will put her to work).

RobCon on January 25, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Mark Jaquith, you can run Linux on an Overclocked PC!
(That gives you MORE PERFORMANCE)

You cannot overclock a mac.. You are stuck with junk!

(Dual boot, Vista Ultimate and PCLinuxOS, however I never feel the need to use use Linux.. )

Chakra Hammer on January 25, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Means nothing. The minute AAPL drops to the hundred-teens I’m buying 10k worth.

Spanglemaker on January 25, 2008 at 4:33 PM

number of ejaculations: 4 and counting…

treyevans on January 25, 2008 at 5:02 PM

Yep, just like the iMac. It didn’t even have a floppy drive!

And the iPod. Capacity was too small and it cost too much!

Besides, everyone knows real computer work only gets done with a CLI!

If initial reviews of Apple products aren’t negative, then its too similar to everything else and it really will be a flop.

taznar on January 25, 2008 at 5:25 PM

Windows Vista has 2.6 times More Market Share than Intel Based Macs and Vista hasn’t even been out a full year…

What is “better”?

The market shows us.

Free Linux has 0.63% of the market..

Chakra Hammer on January 25, 2008 at 5:40 PM

mram on January 25, 2008 at 12:47 PM

by making a good one. The current model is crap. The current version iPods need a $50 cable to make video work on TV (no notice to buyers).

What is “better”?

The market shows us.

Free Linux has 0.63% of the market..

Chakra Hammer on January 25, 2008 at 5:40 PM

Market use does not measure which is better, only which consumers buy the most.

Wade on January 25, 2008 at 6:20 PM

That being said, they both suck.

Ciannaky on January 25, 2008 at 2:07 PM

This graphic designers says: This guy knows what he’s talking about.

pointless computer wars.

Dorvillian on January 25, 2008 at 8:41 PM

She got it wrong and said “sh!t” first, and not “shhh-” & “it” as it was supposed to be spoken, so she screwed up the punchline and broke an FCC rule.

But she’s cute, so who’ll press charges?

If lifting your (increasingly lighter and lighter) laptop is all the exercise MAC users are aiming to get, then the Morlochs are going to have some tasty eatin’.

Apple made billions on a gizmo phone.

They’ll come up with something just as dweebie and make all the shhh-it-upon-them sayers look like shhh-it heads.

Buy low, sell on the news.

profitsbeard on January 25, 2008 at 9:02 PM

Sugar daddies don’t like potty mouths Erin…or do they?

RobCon on January 25, 2008 at 9:25 PM

Wait – I’ve been waiting to use this one.

What are the odds her father is Henry Waxman? Heh.

fiatboomer on January 25, 2008 at 11:31 PM

I flirt with Apple, but can’t justify the coin for a Mac. I’m the master of lowered expectations. XP does fine; I’ve had iPods for years, and they have dramatically improved my worklife.

Doug on January 26, 2008 at 1:23 AM

I’ve had iPods for years, and they have dramatically improved my worklife.

Doug on January 26, 2008 at 1:23 AM

Doug, I am interested in what an iPod does for you that a $80 mp3 player would not? I have an iPod and really do not use many features other than playing music and listening to books.

Wade on January 26, 2008 at 9:34 AM

Surprised the word was not censored to “Who gives a Sheeeeite”.

MSGTAS on January 26, 2008 at 9:45 AM