Open borders advocate Juan Hernandez has joined the McCain campaign Updated

posted at 8:00 am on January 25, 2008 by Bryan

John McCain says that he has heard the American people and now understands that we need to secure the border before enacting any “comprehensive” immigration reform. But John McCain has also said that he hasn’t changed his position. He supported amnesty in 2003 by name, proposed it in 2006 and 2007 without calling it amnesty, and says that anyone who says that he ever supported amnesty is a liar. He has insulted Americans who advocate border security and has cursed at the thought of building a border fence. Which of all of these is the real John McCain? The presence of Juan Hernandez in the background of the McCain campaign tells me that John McCain is as weak on border security now as he ever was.

Old school Hot Air readers might remember Dr. Juan Hernandez. He’s a dual citizen of the US and Mexico, was a member of Vicente Fox’s government, and is as open borders as you can get. In December 2006, Michelle hosted the Factor and the producers decided to see what it would be like to put her and Hernandez on the show together. “Chummy” does not describe the atmosphere.

At the time of this argument, SeeDubya caught Hernandez telling a whopper about illegal aliens and identity theft.

Here’s a photo of him, found on McCain’s daughter Meghan’s blog. It’s from the December 10, 2007 blog entry titled “Univision Debate Gallery,” 7th photo down.

07.jpg

That’s Hernandez, Meghan McCain and adviser Mark McKinnon in the photo. He apparently joined the McCain campaign without much fanfare in November 2007.

Of Mexicans who move to the US, Hernandez has said:

“I want the third generation, the seventh generation, I want them all to think ‘Mexico first.’”

These are Americans that Hernandez is talking about. Does John McCain agree that they should always “think ‘Mexico first?’” That’s the man who began serving as John McCain’s “Hispanic Outreach Directo” last year. Is there any reason that anyone should think open borders fanatic Dr. Hernandez wants President McCain to secure the border? Is there any reason that anyone should trust a man to secure the border if he is getting his “Hispanic Outreach” advice from Dr. Juan Hernandez?

Update: Michelle has a lot more on this story.

Dr. Juan Hernandez, McCain Hispanic outreach director: “We must not only have a free flow of goods and services, but also start working for a free flow of people.”

(photo copyright Heather Brand)

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

If anything can go wrong, it will. No news to me, not to worry. I knew it all before.

Entelechy on January 26, 2008 at 1:34 AM

I think I just got another $9. I suppose …

Murphy9 on January 26, 2008 at 1:30 AM

Well if anything can go wrong, you get 9 bucks. Nice job if you can get it, ha?

Igor R. on January 26, 2008 at 1:36 AM

Duncan Hunter endorsed Mike Huckabee partially because he is the only one who will PREVENT amnesty. Get a grip ..you don’t have to resort to lies and slander to win an argument..it actually doesn’t help.

HaraldHardrada on January 25, 2008 at 7:45 PM

Tancredo endorsed Romney. Royal flush. Compared to your two of a kind.

P.S> Romney raised over 18 million in the third quarter alone.
Huckabee raised 1 million, two flies from the dead via the power of Jesus Christ, and a hairball out of a clogged sink.

CABE on January 26, 2008 at 1:40 AM

Tancredo endorsed Romney. Royal flush. Compared to your two of a kind.

P.S> Romney raised over 18 million in the third quarter alone.

CABE on January 26, 2008 at 1:40 AM

Well Huckabee is over. It’s McCain that has to be turned into nothing but an unpleasant memory at this point.

Igor R. on January 26, 2008 at 1:44 AM

One would think that the news about Soros, Hernandez, Martinez would make a difference in FL. It’s questionable if the population at large pays attention like us political addicts do.

Entelechy on January 26, 2008 at 1:47 AM

Igor R. on January 26, 2008 at 1:44 AM

Agreed. McCain must be stopped in Florida or it will be over.

CABE on January 26, 2008 at 1:47 AM

MB4, you had told me about Peter Heinrich Theodor von der…before. They moved where from Germany? One of the nordic countrie, but which?

Entelechy on January 26, 2008 at 1:31 AM

He stowed away as a young man on a ship to Kristiania (now called Oslo), Norway.

MB4 on January 26, 2008 at 1:47 AM

MB4 on January 26, 2008 at 1:47 AM

Did you ever visit?

Entelechy on January 26, 2008 at 1:49 AM

Entelechy on January 26, 2008 at 1:47 AM

It makes not difference to those who support McCain at this point. They don’t hear about it and it doesn’t make enough difference when they do. If you don’t know that McCain is an Amnesty supporter by now, nothing can help you. The only things that are working now are the re-assignment of Fred’s supporters and how well Romney looked vs. McCain in the debate. The commercials also, maybe, just the name recognition part.

Igor R. on January 26, 2008 at 1:53 AM

Agreed. McCain must be stopped in Florida or it will be over.

CABE on January 26, 2008 at 1:47 AM

Once again the fate of the free world will depend on a few thousand Florida voters.

Igor R. on January 26, 2008 at 1:54 AM

Igor R. on January 26, 2008 at 1:54 AM

How sad that is because it brings to mind the chads and all the idiocies from 2000. I will never forget that guy who was recounting with the magnifying glass.

Entelechy on January 26, 2008 at 1:56 AM

Did you ever visit?

Entelechy on January 26, 2008 at 1:49 AM

I’ve been to a lot of places in the U.S., but the only places I have been outside of the U.S. are RVN, Thailand and Canada. Well Japan too, coming back from RVN, but they hardly even let us get off the plane.

MB4 on January 26, 2008 at 1:58 AM

Entelechy on January 26, 2008 at 1:56 AM

Well we can only hope it won’t be THAT close and not for McLame.

Gotta go. See you next time.

Igor R. on January 26, 2008 at 1:59 AM

Were you drafted? If so, the only place, outside the U.S., you went to voluntarily, is Canada, and maybe Thailand.

Entelechy on January 26, 2008 at 2:01 AM

Oh, I did also go to Holland!!!

Holland, Michigan!

MB4 on January 26, 2008 at 2:02 AM

Good night Igor.

Entelechy on January 26, 2008 at 2:03 AM

Since this thread is dead I might as well change the subject.

Did Mcguyver get booted for his Alan Keyes spam?

CABE on January 26, 2008 at 2:03 AM

Entelechy on January 26, 2008 at 2:01 AM

I volunteered for the draft. Long story. Thailand was for R and R from RVN.

MB4 on January 26, 2008 at 2:04 AM

Holland, Michigan – you are incorrigible.

Entelechy on January 26, 2008 at 2:04 AM

CABE, didn’t see any note about that. Didn’t look for it either…I ignored all that, not knowing what his intentions were, and because it is too long.

Entelechy on January 26, 2008 at 2:07 AM

Holland, Michigan – you are incorrigible.

Entelechy on January 26, 2008 at 2:04 AM

No really. Once during Tulip time.

MB4 on January 26, 2008 at 2:09 AM

I volunteered for the draft. Long story. Thailand was for R and R from RVN.

MB4 on January 26, 2008 at 2:04 AM

Maybe some day you’ll tell it. I’d like to hear it.

Entelechy on January 26, 2008 at 2:09 AM

Wow.

I forgot about this tool.

Hot Air and blogworld = disinfection by sunlight

…hopefully.

silverfox on January 26, 2008 at 2:09 AM

No really. Once during Tulip time.

MB4 on January 26, 2008 at 2:09 AM

Yes, I believe you, I know there is a Holland, Michigan – you just made it sound as if it’s another country. Yes, I know you can be serious too, sorry.

Entelechy on January 26, 2008 at 2:13 AM

The link is interesting, but not surprising. He really thought that his last chance was in 2000, and he’s right. He was very bitter at his party, especially the far right who’d shunned him, and whom he’d ridiculed. Then came 9/11, then came 2004…and grew older and more and more bitter. He’s now really too old, but if not now then absolutely never. He’s a perfect example on how not to age.

I believe in graceful ageing, and many politicians, him included, don’t know when to retire, and how to age with dignity. All in the name of power. It’s really disgusting.

Entelechy on January 26, 2008 at 2:24 AM

And it’s too late McCainy, now it’s too late
Though you really are trying to fake it
Something inside you has died and you can’t hide
And you just can’t fake it

It used to be so easy believing you
You were light and straight talking
And I knew just what you meant to do
Now you sound so cranky
And you just look like an old fool

MB4 on January 26, 2008 at 2:28 AM

MB4 on January 26, 2008 at 2:28 AM

Timbaland’s Apologize?

or maybe I just listen to too much music.

CABE on January 26, 2008 at 2:31 AM

MB4 on January 26, 2008 at 2:28 AM

Very good :) It’s often silly to dwell on looks, but lately he looks radically different from before; he smirks differently than before, he stares, his entire demeaner has changed. Also, he has aged a lot in the last year. Desperation shows in him and in Bill Clinton. I bet the Clintons are furious at Obama for daring to enter the race, and not defer to their highnesses.

Entelechy on January 26, 2008 at 2:32 AM

“Yes, a man grows older”
In his case, he grew colder.

It’s almost as if he’s on a do or die mission, not with an agenda, or a vision, just to say “Yes, I did it”.

Entelechy on January 26, 2008 at 2:36 AM

Timbaland’s Apologize?

or maybe I just listen to too much music.

CABE on January 26, 2008 at 2:31 AM

Stayed in bed all morning just to pass the time
There’s something wrong here
There can be no denying
One of us is changing
Or maybe we’ve just stopped trying
And it’s too late baby, now it’s too late
Though we really did try to make it
Something inside has died and I can’t hide
And I just can’t fake it
It used to be so easy living here with you
You were light and breezy
And I knew just what to do
Now you look so unhappy
And I feel like a fool
And it’s too late baby, now it’s too late
Though we really did try to make it
Something inside has died
and I can’t hide it
And I just can’t fake it
There’ll be good times again for me and you
But we just can’t stay together
Don’t you feel it too
Still I’m glad for what we had
And how I once loved you
And it’s too late baby, now it’s too late
Though we really did try to make it
Something inside has died and
I can’t hide it I just can’t fake it
Don’t you know that I…
I just can’t fake it
Oh it’s too late my baby
Too late my baby
You know
It’s too late my baby
- King Carole

MB4 on January 26, 2008 at 2:37 AM

my mistake.

CABE on January 26, 2008 at 2:39 AM

Springerle has been renamed to Schlimmerle.

Entelechy on January 26, 2008 at 2:45 AM

Say your prayers, go to sleep
Slumber deep and breathe your cares away

Percy on January 26, 2008 at 2:49 AM

Like stepping on the air

Entelechy on January 26, 2008 at 2:52 AM

WHILE YOUR SUCKIN DOWN YOUR CANADIAN CLUB: Come on boys’ let’s play in the mud! MB4HILLARY, says ” Don’t worry about how bad me any my husband’s accounting might be. Let’s keep spending like a drunken MB4Hillary! If you just pull the string, you’ll see a drunken Romeny say, “I’ve always wanted to revamp the nation’s sewers. Being no. 1 on sewers is where we wanna be, said Romenee supporter MB4Hillary”.

THE CHOSEN ONE on January 26, 2008 at 3:01 AM

Jaye Garritty, is the name. MB4 will scramble like a cockroach. He is Jaye Garritty. who happens to be a HUGE Romenuy supporter who goes by MB4. This has been confirmed by my people within the undisciplined Rommie camp. “I can’t believe it took you guys so long do see the obvious diss.” said Garritty. ” You poor McCain’s war monguls just don’t get it.”

Wow, there you go. Just another day in the life of the prep school assasin. Truth won’t hurt you mitt, try it once and a while and stop spreading rumors about J. McCain’s mother. That is the lowest form of dissention and worthy of a libel suit.

THE CHOSEN ONE on January 26, 2008 at 3:14 AM

It’s about time we got serious about starting “The McCaine Mutiny”

Bikerken on January 26, 2008 at 3:22 AM

OOUCH!!!!!! A STATE OF THE UNION SPEECH WITH MCCAIN IN ATTENDANCE AFTER ALL OF HIS FACE SAVING TO BUSH. IT’S GOING TO BE GREAT! MCcAIN ANOINTED PRES SINCE HE BAILED bUSH OUT OF MANY A JAM!!!!!

THE CHOSEN ONE on January 26, 2008 at 4:23 AM

Dual citizen’s suck?

Drtuddle on January 26, 2008 at 10:25 AM

Hasn’t someone taken away “TheChosenOne’s” caps lock key yet? It’s really annoying.

Guess it suits him, though. Amazing how quickly someone’s online presence can make your dislike of a candidate visceral. I just really didn’t care about McCain before, now I actually will go out of my way to discount him to others.

Same thing with some of the Huck Supporters. And I know it had the same effect on my guy with a couple of people here too, alas. I did TRY to calm them down, but sometimes a few bad apples….

Vanceone on January 26, 2008 at 11:39 AM

I don’t think I’ve every met someone who comes across as sleazy as Hernandez. Al Sharpton should stand as close to Hernandez as possible, so that Al’s sleaziness would go unnoticed in the blazing sun of Hernandez sleaziness. On second thought, Sharpton only needs to be in the same room.

thuja on January 26, 2008 at 11:42 AM

Still haven’t seen any of this anywhere on the news. Not even here in Arizona, where you’d think it would be a big deal.

tomk59 on January 26, 2008 at 11:44 AM

Viva El McCaino!

Making $50 lettuce, one head at a time.

profitsbeard on January 26, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Entelechy on January 26, 2008 at 2:24 AM

Exactly! He’s the poster “child” for age limits!!!!

dmann on January 26, 2008 at 12:13 PM

you night owls can get weird.

shooter on January 26, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Sadly, McCain is the poster child of the GOP these days and although we won the McCain Kennedy ShAmnesty battle it certainly appears that we have lost the war.

Buzzy on January 26, 2008 at 12:41 PM

I’ll wait for Tuesday’s results, if McCain wins in Fla. it will be curtains for the real Republicans/conservatives. If McCain is the nominee, I will not vote for him, better to let the Dems take responsiblity for the mess that will become the next 4 years. Synch’um down boys…its gonna be a rough ride!!

dmann on January 26, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Buzzy on January 26, 2008 at 12:41 PM

You would have thought the shamnesty train in Congress had stopped but it did not. I just received my second extremely strange and friendly letter from Congressman Dingell, in reply to my contacts about immigration (the only contacts were faxes weeks ago raging against shamnesty).

In this letter dated January 18, 2008, the Congressman writes:

I am concerned with the influx of illegal immigration into our nation

and then goes on about HR 1645

which would comprehensively reform our immigration laws

This is the new game: the bill is being promoted as a fight against smuggling rings. However down the letter Dingell slips the big one

This legislation will provide for 400,000 guest worker visas for people who have permanent employment and will also provide a path to citizenship for immigrants who can show they have been in the United States for more than six years, provided they have no criminal record, have paid all their taxes, and pay a fine. The House Committee on the Judiciary held a hearing on the bill on September 6, 2007. Although it is not anticipated that immigration reform will reach the floor of the House during the 110th Congress, I will continue to monitor H.R. 1645 and keep your concerns in mind. – Dingell

This letter is signed ‘With every good wish’ from a guy who normally slams you with sarcasm if you communicate disagreement with the liberal agenda.

Note the hearing was a while back but it is obviously full fledge shamnesty ready to come out of the pot as soon as the elections are over. Lindsey Graham is promoting anti-illegal smuggling on his web site as the answer

Obviously the new talking point is to blame alien smuggling

Beware. I have never received a kiss-up like this from Dingell

entagor on January 26, 2008 at 1:21 PM

dmann on January 26, 2008 at 1:15 PM

dmann, you worry too much. As Bryan as so forcefully argued, I don’t see how McCain can win the closed primary states. In fact, I doubt that the Independents voting in the open primary understand McCain the man instead of the McCain the year 2000 legend. There aren’t as good websites to cater to the moderates as there are for more extreme positions, and so the independents aren’t up to date on what McCain represents. However, the glare of publicity from his recent victories will start to eat away on McCain’s popularity among them soon.

thuja on January 26, 2008 at 1:30 PM

I have been following this thread from the beging and after a long series of vomits have only now managed to comment. Folks like THE CHOSEN ONE are delirious if they think that John, er, Juan, McCain is going to protect this country. Fine I will grant that McCain is brave and an honorable man. Even given these points, he is flat out wrong regarding the border. The Hernandez relationship with the McCain campaign simply reinforces the fact that McCain is soft on border security and doesn’t have the political guts to protect our borders.

(77th Field Artillery-Con Thien and the Rockpile-I Corps)

second digit on January 26, 2008 at 5:09 PM

I don’t get it. Why do I have explain my support for McCain to a SOLDIER. I don’t trust any of these candidates to be a Commander in Chief and have the control of the best army the world has ever seen. If things ever get hairy, we have to have someone in office who has the grapefruits to scare the bejesus out of Kimg Jong, Achmeksjcswke, and whoever else thinks they want to dance. Mitt Romney couldn’t lead his way out of a paper bag. You know it, I know it and worst of all you know that I know that you know it. Thanks for the comments though.

THE CHOSEN ONE on January 26, 2008 at 9:35 PM

Disney ought to do a cartoon movie
The littliest Conquistidor and his 10 million little indians. These Castillian jerks are trying to offload their demographic drag onto the USA. The Spanish down in Argentina didn’t have the luxury of a sucker USA when they needed to quell their restive native population. They just shot em cheap and stacked em deep until you can’t hardly find an indian in Argentina today. Not a one.

pc on January 26, 2008 at 10:17 PM

now having written this will AllahP please tell Michelle the autoplay of his rant is blasting me out of my chair everytime I forget and re-visit her site. I understand the need to force people to hear this but test it on some systems. On my system the speaker almosts blows when I load her page.

pc on January 26, 2008 at 10:59 PM

no hablah

custer on January 27, 2008 at 10:11 AM

Thanks for the comments though.

THE CHOSEN ONE on January 26, 2008 at 9:35 PM

You are discredited, as if…

Jaibones on January 27, 2008 at 10:25 PM

Michelle needs to step it up a bit.

While both of her blogs made the “bottom top 10″

I want to see them both at the end of this list next year.

F15Mech on October 10, 2008 at 10:50 PM