McCain has no support among the Republican base, says … McCain’s mom

posted at 8:05 pm on January 24, 2008 by Allahpundit

95 years old and sharp as a tack. Exercise caution, though: This comes from a C-SPAN e-mail alert (forwarded to me by the boss) and the transcript you see is all I have. If there are any qualifiers or context issues we’ll have to wait until Sunday, when it airs, to see.

Steve Scully: This is a political question in terms of how he gets the nomination, but just from what you have seen, how much support do you think he has among the base of the Republican Party?

Roberta McCain: I don’t think he has any. I don’t know what the base of the Repub–maybe I don’t know enough about it, but I’ve not seen any help whatsoever.

Scully: So can he then go on and become the nominee of this party?

McCain: Yes, I think holding their nose they’re going to have to take him.

Scully: Can you explain?

McCain: Well, everything they’ve done and said. … Now I’m really popping off, but he worked like a dog to get Bush re-elected. …He’s backed Bush in everything except Rumsfeld. Have you heard other senators and congressmen backing Bush over eight years? Find me it–give me a name. I’ve not seen any public recognition of the work that he’s done for the Republican party.

Exit question: This sounds familiar, doesn’t it?

Comments

Smart woman. Can’t wait for video to come.
Figured as long as the topic is McShamnesty:

My message to Mike Huckabee and John McCain:
I’m all for your plans to deal with illegal immigration. With one condition: I get to move to Mexico and sneak back into the United States as an illegal immigrant. I stop paying taxes and start collecting welfare. I do this for about ten years. I send my kids to the University of Arkansas on Mike’s scholarships for illegals and the rest on in-state tuition. I finally decide I want to become a citizen and start paying taxes again. Under John’s plan, I would get to become a citizen for a $5,000 fine and you guys would forget about all those years I didn’t pay taxes and collected gov’t benefits. Do we have a deal? Awesome.

malan89 on January 24, 2008 at 8:08 PM

McCain: Yes, I think holding their nose they’re going to have to take him.

His campaign fliers should include a clothespin so people can vote with both hands free.

Hollowpoint on January 24, 2008 at 8:08 PM

That’s the first time I know of that she said something that actually made sense. Everything else (that we know of) has been racist rants that had John saying “Shut up, Mom!”

Tony737 on January 24, 2008 at 8:08 PM

Smart and bigoted.

CABE on January 24, 2008 at 8:11 PM

SECOND LOOK AT GRANDMA MCCAIN?

locke on January 24, 2008 at 8:15 PM

Reminds me of Newt’s mom telling Connie Chung stuff “just between us girls.”

Let’s wait to see the context but I can’t imagine that any campaign that begins with the idea that the base is going have to accept the nominee is two strikes down even before coming to the plate. The electorate has their own idea about what they will accept.

highhopes on January 24, 2008 at 8:18 PM

We need some sort of campaign reform passed to get the mommy out of politics.

saint kansas on January 24, 2008 at 8:18 PM

She’s his Mom and she is right..many don’t support him..and many will hold their nose and vote for him if he gets the nomination.

Pam on January 24, 2008 at 8:20 PM

We need some sort of campaign reform passed to get the mommy out of politics.

saint kansas on January 24, 2008 at 8:18 PM

That would take away all of the Democratic policies.

I say go for it.

yo on January 24, 2008 at 8:25 PM

She is right on all accounts. What do you think his mom thinks when MM spouts all this stuff about her Vietnam veteran 25 year senator son? How do you think she feels when Limbaugh goes off on his tangents?

She says they are going to have to take him and she’s right about that one too. He can use it as strength. The only way he loses at this point is by Mitt Romney buying the election. I don’t see how that would be better for America. It would just encourage Bloomberg to run.

But she hears Rush, and MM, and Laura, and all of the conservative talk people. That’s what she’s saying when he doesn’t have support. If he still wins without support it will be an achievement of monumental proportions, but I don’t expect he’ll get credit for it. Instead everyone will talk about how stupid Americans are. How would you feel if it were your son?!

ThackerAgency on January 24, 2008 at 8:26 PM

John Mc Cain will destroy the Republican Party. Just remember that he was considering running as John Kerry’s VP. He lusts for power and will get it any way he can and destroy whoever trys to stop him. He still has not clarified his position on immigration, but says his position has not changed at all (previously amenesty), except that he will build a wall first. He severely limited the First Admendment by pushing through McCain-Feingold, he is also not strong Pro-Gun, Second Admendment. Anyone who continually sides with Teddy Kennedy on any legislation needs to be outright rejected. Spread the word.

JBrad on January 24, 2008 at 8:28 PM

What did she say about Mormons that one time? It wasn’t too flattering, if I remember correctly.

WasatchMan on January 24, 2008 at 8:28 PM

If I was McCain during this debate coming up, I would take the Huckabee tack from Iowa. I’d tell Florida that I would be offended that someone thought he could BUY your vote. I’d harp on the fact that I’ve already WON many states in the primaries and that the people voted for McCain over Romney in each of those contests that he won. But I’d mostly harp on the idea that someone thinks he can buy their vote with enough money.

He should bring out that ‘all the money in the world’ quote again – he just shouldn’t bring it up in context of amnesty where he’s dead wrong but doesn’t believe he is. Again, if he is president he’s no longer going to be in the senate. Isn’t that a good thing?

ThackerAgency on January 24, 2008 at 8:29 PM

I heard it, that is exactly what she said.

EJDolbow on January 24, 2008 at 8:30 PM

Well,looks like Mom is onto McCain tricks,
me thinks a good tea party with McCain’s
mom and well have all the dirt!haha

canopfor on January 24, 2008 at 8:30 PM

WasatchMan on January 24, 2008 at 8:28 PM

She said it was no big deal that Mitt turned around the Olympics because the MORMONS screwed them up.

EJDolbow on January 24, 2008 at 8:31 PM

ThackerAgency on January 24, 2008 at 8:26 PM

They have never had anything but the highest respect for McCain’s military service and I suspect you know that.

But John McCain has been telling Conservatives to screw themselves for about 8 years now. We are just returning the favor.

EJDolbow on January 24, 2008 at 8:34 PM

Valid point, but having something rammed down your throat doesn’t taste any better.

JiangxiDad on January 24, 2008 at 8:35 PM

That picture, with John and his mom c/b captioned

The old and the archaean.

The lady is very sharp, though, and a credit to longevity.

She’s also right to a point. He did bust his butt to get Bush re-elected. However, then the two of them went on to screw the base. Thus, no wonder the base is soured at both.

Entelechy on January 24, 2008 at 8:36 PM

JiangxiDad on January 24, 2008 at 8:35 PM

My friend, I remind you, as adults, we’re talking about the Clintons/McCains here…

Entelechy on January 24, 2008 at 8:38 PM

Is it just me or does the Hot Air Community effectively support Mitt Romney. Because Fred’s out, McCain/Huck are not conservative, and Rudy doesn’t have much of a chance….

Another question is: Who will Bryan, Allah, and Michelle vote for? I think we all know who Rush is voting for on Tuesday, especially now that Fred is out.

iamse7en on January 24, 2008 at 8:44 PM

Entelechy on January 24, 2008 at 8:38 PM

Not sure I get what you mean. Thacker said one should be offended by Romney being rammed down our throats by dint of his money. I responded that McCain being rammed down my throat doesn’t taste any better, so I’m not sure this tactic will work for him against Romney.

JiangxiDad on January 24, 2008 at 8:47 PM

EJDolbow on January 24, 2008 at 8:34 PM

Damn straight!

SimplyKimberly on January 24, 2008 at 8:53 PM

Not sure I get what you mean.

JiangxiDad on January 24, 2008 at 8:47 PM

It was just in reference to the language/words, not the content…lieber/guter JxD.

Entelechy on January 24, 2008 at 8:57 PM

Mitt’s new ad is AWESOME!!

Damn, Fred, wish you could’ve done something like that.

thirteen28 on January 24, 2008 at 9:02 PM

More from the Straight Talk Distress.

sulla on January 24, 2008 at 9:03 PM

NYT endorses McCain. Need anything more be said considering the source?

Romney ’08!!!!!!!

highhopes on January 24, 2008 at 9:08 PM

He’s backed Bush in everything except Rumsfeld.

And tax cuts, to name two other issues.

Besides, given RINO Arbusto’s track record once he had to deliver more than fiery rhetoric and actually go to WORK, I’m not so sure that saying that you backed him is a plus in my book.

Misha I on January 24, 2008 at 10:09 PM

I have no doubt that McLame would win the general. Let’s just hope he doesn’t get that far.

Mojave Mark on January 24, 2008 at 10:12 PM

She’s an old woman that is apparently shiatting on her own son. Seems American to me, No?

The United States is greatest dysfunctional family ever.

I’m still a Mitten though.

TexasBella on January 24, 2008 at 10:26 PM

Would that be the spring-clipping clothes pin, or the old-fashioned push-on version we’re supposed to clamp over our noses, Ma McCain?

But nothing stops the stench of amnesty.

profitsbeard on January 24, 2008 at 10:28 PM

Probably because the Republican party has done just about squat for Republican voters, so “work [...] done for the Republican party” isn’t of much value to them. See also: path-to-citizenship.

Mark Jaquith on January 24, 2008 at 10:31 PM

Maybe I am misreading this but it seems to me that she is talking about the Party not the base. She thinks the folks to run the Party and the public pundits will have to hold their noses.

As you said, she’s getting up in years and it sounds like she either didn’t hear correctly or just didn’t understand the question.

OBQuiet on January 24, 2008 at 11:25 PM

Well… SHE AIN’T WRONG!

Gartrip on January 24, 2008 at 11:54 PM

I heard the soundtrack on Hugh Hewitt’s radio show…

DANEgerus on January 25, 2008 at 12:02 AM

Mothers and children can be refreshingly, if not brutally honest sometimes, eh?

CliffHanger on January 25, 2008 at 1:08 AM

Could she become the Prince Philip of American politics?

Tzetzes on January 25, 2008 at 3:56 AM

Did she see something nasty in the woodshed?

sulla on January 25, 2008 at 4:06 AM

Entelechy on January 24, 2008 at 8:38 PM

Clintons/McCains co-conspirators in the planning of the demise of conservatism.

leanright on January 25, 2008 at 7:53 AM

As far as I am concerned, McCain and Hillary are two peas in a pod. If that amnesty shmuck gets the nod, I will write in Newt Gingrich.

saiga on January 25, 2008 at 10:07 AM

NYT endorses McCain. Need anything more be said considering the source?

Romney ‘08!!!!!!!

highhopes on January 24, 2008 at 9:08 PM

Amen. McLame is an amnesty traitor willing to subvert our citizens and our law. Lets hope he gets shot down in flames (pardon the pun)

saiga on January 25, 2008 at 10:10 AM

Clintons/McCains co-conspirators in the planning of the demise of conservatism the United States of America.

leanright on January 25, 2008 at 7:53 AM

Fixed that for you.

AZCoyote on January 25, 2008 at 10:12 AM

Forgive me but…his mom is still alive?

mattyj86 on January 25, 2008 at 12:34 PM

McCain: Yes, I think holding their nose they’re going to have to take him.

She is sharp but ruthless

I agree only with the first part. I will hold my nose if the stench is too great but I will not eat it

Not even if McCain’s new Hispanic Outreach Director beats me with a hard copy of the Mexican Constitution I will not eat it

Not even if they pelt me with a hundred heads of lettuce I will not eat it

Not even if McCain’s mom says I have to eat it

Not even if Lindsey Graham says it is good for me

entagor on January 25, 2008 at 1:07 PM

I will not eat it on a boat,
I will not eat it with a goat…

kcd on January 25, 2008 at 3:23 PM