Time wonders: Isn’t Mitt’s reference to “Who Let The Dogs Out” a “macaca moment”?

posted at 4:31 pm on January 23, 2008 by Allahpundit

Pity poor Ana, who’s tried before to get a scandal going about Romney but is stuck with a subject who won’t even swear. She tried pushing that story over the summer about the Romney family putting their dog in a portable kennel and strapping it to the roof of their car, but it expired quietly once the mandatory jokes about the highway stop scene in “National Lampoon’s Vacation” had all been made. So she’s trying again. Only the oldest of old-school HA readers will remember this post but the three requirements are all met here: We’ve got a conservative making an assumption about an aspect of minority culture, i.e. that a group of black teens (or any teens, really) might recognize a reference to a famous pop song by black artists. Nothing pernicious or derogatory about it but, you know, close enough.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Long standing HA tradition!!! I get to leave a comment!!

csdeven on January 23, 2008 at 4:34 PM

And also there was the “bling bling” comment to the baby.

This guy is the whitest white person in America. The next thing you know he’ll say in his defense is that he has black friends.

csdeven on January 23, 2008 at 4:36 PM

He should have known better.

He’s still got my vote.

Ludwig on January 23, 2008 at 4:37 PM

Even the most most of HuffPo’s commenters can get up is he’s not hip or he looked like an idiot.

amerpundit on January 23, 2008 at 4:37 PM

um that was just stupid.

Poor Mitt. If only he were more vulgar or immoral, then they wouldn’t have to make stuff up about him.

Utah Boy on January 23, 2008 at 4:38 PM

csdeven on January 23, 2008 at 4:36 PM

And one of them will be Michael Steele, Future Vice President of the United States of America.

)_) (_( )_) We can only hope.

BKennedy on January 23, 2008 at 4:39 PM

She should probably go back to writing about something she’s familiar with, like buggery from behind and Bombay and tonic.

thirteen28 on January 23, 2008 at 4:39 PM

csdeven, I haven’t paid much attention lately, but I thought that you were a big Mitt supporter.

DaveS on January 23, 2008 at 4:39 PM

What a mountain being made by Cox over a mole hill.

I don’t even think Romney was aware it was even a black group that sang that…it’s a pretty standard song at most sporting events.

JetBoy on January 23, 2008 at 4:40 PM

He really is the whitest person in America, but the truth is, he was probably making fun of the fact that he is the whitest person in America.

Donny Osmond does this all the time. After being labeled “too white” for so long, we’ve just kinda owned it.

It’s a Mormon thing.

Dawg.

tlclark on January 23, 2008 at 4:40 PM

It’s hard to get dirt to stick to someone who is so gosh darn squeaky clean. It just won’t stick.

Gooooooooooooo Mitt!

JustTruth101 on January 23, 2008 at 4:41 PM

Mitt is doomed! The MSM media will take this story and destroy him like George Allen. Mitt is done!!

froghat on January 23, 2008 at 4:42 PM

I think everyone has had a moment like this with their Dad trying to be cool around your teenage friends. I’m sure his sons are cringing, but no one else should.

MRegine on January 23, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Nobody there seemed to mind. I heard a lot of cheering.

Mitt’s the shiznit!

Brat on January 23, 2008 at 4:42 PM

BKennedy on January 23, 2008 at 4:39 PM

Dude. Do not. Play. With. My. Emotions.

Theworldisnotenough on January 23, 2008 at 4:43 PM

I bet there is a video tape of Romney using the N word that the McCain camp will release soon. Boo yaaaaa

froghat on January 23, 2008 at 4:44 PM

froghat on January 23, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Who’s your daddy?

Oh that’s right!

MITT IS YO DADDY!

FO REAL!

BKennedy on January 23, 2008 at 4:44 PM

Mitt is doomed!!!!!!! Doomed I tell ya!!!!!!!!!

froghat on January 23, 2008 at 4:45 PM

You’d be welcome in my church after a ritual scrubbing.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on January 23, 2008 at 4:45 PM

I’m not black, or a teenager, but I recognized the reference to the song. If Romney said it to me, would it still be racist? Since just about everybody who has watched football on t.v. in America in the past few years would also recognize the reference to the song, isn’t it really just a cultural thing, rather than a “black” thing? And how silly is it to even be talking about something like this? Are there no real issues for this woman to write about?

AZCoyote on January 23, 2008 at 4:46 PM

Ah…the Bahamen. I sincerely hope Mitt has a copy of Doong Spank on CD stashed somewhere in his car. Best track, you ask? Double Lovin’.

Big S on January 23, 2008 at 4:46 PM

I remember that old post. I knew I was turning 22 today, but I didn’t realize I was old school. I thought I had a few more years to go before I entered the realm of ‘old school.’

I thought Mitt was funny here. Clearly, he heard himself say “Who’s got your camera though?” and it reminded him of that song. I think that’s pretty standard joking/pop culture referencing. For example, if Mitt had been talking about his sons and said, “I am their father,” I could easily picture him or someone else following that with a raspy “Luke, I am your father.”

PaisleyCow on January 23, 2008 at 4:46 PM

AP:
The hags of “The View” discussed this on Tuesday and, surprisingly, didn’t seem so bothered by it. Look on the bright side. At least he didn’t say, “Whoomp! There it is.”
DS

Debbie Schlussel on January 23, 2008 at 4:49 PM

PaisleyCow on January 23, 2008 at 4:46 PM

Happy birthday.

amerpundit on January 23, 2008 at 4:49 PM

froghat on January 23, 2008 at 4:44 PM

Mitt isn’t a racist or a bigot (like Huck or McCain’s mom).

Who let the Frogs out?

CABE on January 23, 2008 at 4:49 PM

Oh snap!

ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

NTWR on January 23, 2008 at 4:49 PM

they are determined to label Republicans as racist, especially with Obama rising right now. And they have one technically, atleast goods on him, in Paul and are of course uninterested since most Repubs. can’t stand him and he’s the lefts useful idiot on foreign policy

jp on January 23, 2008 at 4:49 PM

It’s a very popular song with little kids. They love to sing it. I assume it’s because it drives adults nuts after awhile. Woof.

Blake on January 23, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Only in a liberal mind is this a macaca moment. Mitt is trying too hard to relate to everyday people. Or maybe he really is that dorky and out-of-touch.

flyfisher on January 23, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Mitt’s son tried a lame prank call on him. I like how he hangs up and continues to eat.

Brat on January 23, 2008 at 4:52 PM

BKennedy on January 23, 2008 at 4:39 PM

I said a few days ago that would be a swell idea… I’m glad to see Steele’s got support around here!

the goddess anna on January 23, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Well, it’s a silly non-issue, but it does show that he doesn’t know how to act around black people. That’s something that southerners know a lot about.

With Bill Clinton, black leaders said that they liked him not because they thought he agreed with their issues and would help them, but because they thought he wouldn’t cross to the other side of the street when passing a black person. They felt that Clinton wouldn’t feel uneasy in a small space with black people like in an elevator. It is funny to watch Yankees try to court blacks. They just look silly and way out of their element. That’s most of what its about.

ThackerAgency on January 23, 2008 at 4:52 PM

SECOND LOOK AT MORMONS FOR PRESIDENT! A scandal free administration, how nice!

TX Mom on January 23, 2008 at 4:53 PM

Next!

ScottMcC on January 23, 2008 at 4:53 PM

He’s not the hippest candidate out there.

And for that he should hang!

Hoodlumman on January 23, 2008 at 4:53 PM

Yeah, I’m following here on twitter and she looks absolutely bored with covering Mitt.

terryannonline on January 23, 2008 at 4:55 PM

At least he didn’t say, “Whoomp! There it is.”
DS
Debbie Schlussel on January 23, 2008 at 4:49 PM

Great. That’s now two annoying songs stuck in my head.

Slublog on January 23, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Hey!!! Who let da DAWGS out!!!!

Mitts got “Down” with da Hood!!!

Word, brotha!!

Whoop whoop !!!

Always Right on January 23, 2008 at 4:56 PM

Cox shows you a clip and asks, shouldn’t this be controversial? By commenting on Mitt, you’re doing exactly what she wants you to do. Don’t be suckers. The real issue here is how desperate she is to attack him.

Spolitics on January 23, 2008 at 4:56 PM

I am not getting why this is even being brought up? It was a throwaway remark that offended nobody. Does Allah hate Mitt?

echosyst on January 23, 2008 at 4:58 PM

Unfortunately Mitt has enough negatives and this reinforces them. All the dems have to do is show he is a clueless rich white guy.

William Amos on January 23, 2008 at 4:59 PM

Slublog on January 23, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Hey, could be worse, could be the Macarena or Mambo Number 5…

doubleplusundead on January 23, 2008 at 5:00 PM

This is just your typical SQUARE guy trying his dangdest to be “hip” for the youngsters.

I am suprised he is not saying “far Out,” Groovy” and “Peachy Keen” more often.

EJDolbow on January 23, 2008 at 5:01 PM

Who let the kooks out! Kook, Kook, Kook Kook!

Kini on January 23, 2008 at 5:02 PM

All the dems have to do is show he is a clueless rich white guy.
William Amos on January 23, 2008 at 4:59 PM

Clueless? I don’t know about you, but I could care less if my President is quick with the pop culture references as long as he understands the important issues — like the economy. The last thing Mitt is, is clueless — at least on what actually matters.

Spolitics on January 23, 2008 at 5:03 PM

Mitt’s super white.

whitetop on January 23, 2008 at 5:03 PM

Seriously, what this shows is that the Dems and the Libs engage only in the Politics of Personal Destruction.

Instead of trying to debate issues with George Allen they beat him by playing up a smear. And dont for a moment think they wont try to do that to whoever we nominate.

Heck, the Ice queen is trying her best to do that to Barack right now!! Every time the MSM or even the gutter leftist webospher tries it, we have got to slap them down HARD.

Not so much retaliate in kind agains their guy or gal, though Ive got nothing against that, but slap back at the media and their smear tactics crapola HARD.

This is just the start. They are too busy eating their own right now, but sooner or later, they will turn to us and our guy.

Always Right on January 23, 2008 at 5:04 PM

Say all you want but Mitt was more sincere to the African-Americans here than Bill Clinton will ever be.

malkinmania on January 23, 2008 at 5:05 PM

White Bread…..what you talkin’ ’bout?

Racist – No
Square – Like a cube

Hening on January 23, 2008 at 5:06 PM

He should have gone for the gold and asked “Who is responsible for releasing the canines?”

Cuffy Meigs on January 23, 2008 at 5:08 PM

Froghat, do you drink all day long?

ChrisM on January 23, 2008 at 5:10 PM

Massachusetts=Stiff White Guys Who Run For President?

SouthernGent on January 23, 2008 at 5:12 PM

Mitt’s got no problems wit me, mon.

First look at Romney/Diddy

sleepy-beans on January 23, 2008 at 5:13 PM

MRegine on January 23, 2008 at 4:42 PM

ding ding ding.

***
Listen up. I’m black and have been for as long as I can remember. I’ve heard some of the craziest things coming out of peoples’s mouths in their genuine attempts at being friendly.

Sometimes it can be a little awkward. But the same can be said for when the missus catches me staring at some other woman’s rump.

If someone’s inentions are pure, that’s all that matters. It helps to realize that most people are actually humbling themselves hoping for a nice response.

So when a Best Buy rep says to me, “What’s up Yo!?!” I assume this guy is just angling for a sale…not to offend.

Also, rap music is not black anymore, it’s pop. And the song was everywhere for a while. Everybody on the planet including Osama Bin Laden has heard this tragically catchy tune.

The only thing unpresidential about this episode is the dangling preposition.

Most importantly, I can’t really hate on Mitt as long as he’s running against McCain. I don’t care about the damn dogs; just beat McCain.

The Race Card on January 23, 2008 at 5:14 PM

MRegine on January 23, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Ding, Ding, Ding – We have a winner. It’s hip to be square!

SkinnerVic on January 23, 2008 at 5:14 PM

The Race Card on January 23, 2008 at 5:14 PM

Beat me to it… aw snaaaap.

SkinnerVic on January 23, 2008 at 5:15 PM

Granted, I’m probably not the best person to analzye something like this-since I’m not one of those lunatics who equate dogs, i.e. domesticated pets, to humans-but I don’t see why the media keep harping on Romney’s supposed solecism, re: his dog.

I don’t know if people realize this, but a dog’s traditional habitat is not usually a four seat sedan. If the worst moral failing of Romney is letting his dog car surf in a protective harness, then he’s purer than 95% of the previous occupants of The White House.

Gerard on January 23, 2008 at 5:18 PM

His kids should teach him to speak Snoop. Now that would be be the shizzle, my izzle.

Sue on January 23, 2008 at 5:21 PM

Dang, I wish something like that were MY most embarrassing moment.

EyeSurgeon on January 23, 2008 at 5:22 PM

It looked like a focus group had told him to loosen up, and he tried, but wasn’t real sure of himself. I thought it was great.

I always think of MIB II when I hear that, that’s how square I am.

pedestrian on January 23, 2008 at 5:23 PM

The Race Card makes valid comments, but I think there is a fine line between being cute and being an asshat.

I was in Walmart the other day and a white salesman walked past me and said “Happy Kwanzaa!”. Couple of things wrong with that: (1) It wasn’t Kwanzaa, (2) I don’t celebrate Kwanzaa, I celebrate Christmas, and (3) WTF about me looks like I celebrate Kwanzaa? It was ridiculous.

Maybe he was trying to be funny or nice but how would he have taken it if I replied with “and a very Happy Chanukah to you!”

TheThink on January 23, 2008 at 5:23 PM

He could have been uber-white and busted out with “Hamster Dance” or “Ice Ice Baby.”

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on January 23, 2008 at 5:24 PM

Cuffy Meigs on January 23, 2008 at 5:08 PM

Thank you for that post. It is funny to me on so many levels. Mitt needs to always keep it real…. real nerdy. I love that about him. We’re not texting votes for American Idol. We’re preparing to elect someone for our highest office. I’m voting for the nerd.

Cold Steel on January 23, 2008 at 5:29 PM

All the dems have to do is show he is a clueless rich white guy.

Yeah, because that worked sooooo well against George W. Bush in 2000.

Bush didn’t bother hiding the kind of music he liked, which wasn’t exactly Bon Jovi and Metallica.

OTOH, Gore ran into Courtney Love at a party once and claimed to be a big fan of her music. Love fired back: “You know what? name a song. He couldn’t do it!” (click for YouTube link)

I’d rather support a genial dork than a poseur.

sulla on January 23, 2008 at 5:30 PM

Mitt panders and flipflops more then Kerry and Huck combined. I dont know why anyone would be supporting him

Abortion rights
“I will preserve and protect a woman’s right to choose and am devoted and dedicated to honoring my word in that regard.” Boston Herald Debate, 10/29/02

“Roe v. Wade continues to work its destructive logic throughout our society This can’t continue.”
Speech to the Massachusetts Citizens For Life Mother’s Day Pioneer Valley Dinner, 5/10/07

Immigration reform
“With these 11 million people [here illegally], let’s have them registered, know who they are….those that are here paying taxes and not taking government benefits should begin a process towards application for citizenship.”
Lowell Sun, 3/30/06

“One simple rule: no amnesty.If that [Kennedy-McCain bill] is not a form of amnesty, I don’t know what is.”
New York Times, 6/4/07

“No new taxes” pledge
“I’m not intending to, at this stage, sign a document which would prevent me from being able to look specifically at the revenue needs of the commonwealth”
Associated Press, 3/27/02

“Signing the pledge now sends a very clear message to those in Washington who have voted against tax relief and for tax hikes that such actions will never grow our regional and national economies.” Romney spokesman, Boston Globe, 1/5/07

Bush tax cuts
Governor Mitt Romney refused yesterday to endorse tax cuts at the heart of President Bush’s economic program…In addition to refusing to endorse the president’s tax cut, the governor surprised several people at the meeting by saying he is open to a federal increase in gas taxes.
Boston Globe, 4/11/06

[Romney] said it was “absolutely critical” to renew tax cuts proposed by President George W. Bush. Letting them expire would result in a “massive tax increase” that would retard economic growth, Romney said.
Detroit Free Press, 2/8/07

Desire to serve in Vietnam
“I was not planning on signing up for the military. It was not my desire to go off and serve in Vietnam…”
Boston Herald, 5/2/94

“I longed in many respects to actually be in Vietnam and be representing our country there and in some ways it was frustrating not to feel like I was there as part of the troops that were fighting in Vietnam.”
Boston Globe, 6/24/07

Reagan Republicanism
“I was an independent during the time of Reagan-Bush. I’m not trying to return to Reagan-Bush.”
Boston Herald, 10/27/94

“Ronald Reagan is … my hero. … I believe that our party’s ascendancy began with Ronald Reagan’s brand of visionary and courageous leadership.”
Boston Globe, 1/19/07

offroadaz on January 23, 2008 at 5:31 PM

Sue on January 23, 2008 at 5:21 PM

Now that is scary.

“Romney 2008: it’s the deficizzle. Word.”

sulla on January 23, 2008 at 5:33 PM

offroadaz on January 23, 2008 at 5:31 PM
Who let the trollz out?? Nice talking points syllabus. Is it hard to cut and paste?

Cold Steel on January 23, 2008 at 5:33 PM

This attempted faux outrage confirms my early suspicions:

There is no DIRT on Romney’s personal life, not one little speck.

EJDolbow on January 23, 2008 at 5:34 PM

Mitt looks a little bit uncomfortable, no doubt about it, but he is not a racist.

Poor Mitt, he might be toast now.

If this was a Democrat saying that, everything would be all right. That ole “double standard” rears it’s ugly head again.

Conservaboomer on January 23, 2008 at 5:36 PM

offroadaz on January 23, 2008 at 5:31 PM

Reagan has FAR more admirers now than he did in 1994. This is just silly; you should try to find something of some substance rather than people growing better as they get older.

McCain was better 20 years ago than he is now. Giuliani was a Democrat 20 years ago. Ron Paul has always been insane.

Do you want somebody who continues to get better or somebody who gets worse as they get older?

Even REAGAN went from a Democrat to a Repulican.

Mitt Romney is a second generation Republican Governor who talked one of his son’s out of becoming a democrat.

Mitt Romney IS NOT THE ENEMY of the Republican Party so many idiots are trying to paint him as being.

EJDolbow on January 23, 2008 at 5:39 PM

Not the smartest thing to do, especially with his Churches background with regards to African-American’s

And his recent lie that he “saw” his father marching with MLK..

all does not play well..

Chakra Hammer on January 23, 2008 at 5:43 PM

MSM tries to destroy most conservative candidate out there

yawn

Defector01 on January 23, 2008 at 5:43 PM

what I think is funny about that video is the arm around the girl that looks like Mitt’s but it’s not.

lan astaslem on January 23, 2008 at 5:47 PM

Judging by the comments at the beginning, it looks like Mitt! has replaced Fred!. Perhaps the Fredheads have become Mittens.

As a former Fredhead, I will succumb…Mitt!

I like the fact that he was so out of his element here but he didn’t really care. Just a decent guy all around.

warrenmr on January 23, 2008 at 5:55 PM

Anyone remember the talk of a huge scandal pre-MI or something? Did that just die off?

HYTEAndy on January 23, 2008 at 5:55 PM

Mitt had best be careful about the situations his handlers place him into. The MSM wants him out of the picture and they are watching him very closely.

They want a McCain or Huck matchup against either Hillary or Obama – McCain because he holds many of the same positions as the MSM, and Huck because he’d be easily defeated for being too theocratic for libs and too liberal for conservatives.

Mitt is the only conservative threat to the Dems that we have left.

My motto generally is, whomever the MSM and terrorists dislike the most, is the person who should be our Prez.

CliffHanger on January 23, 2008 at 5:56 PM

HYTEAndy on January 23, 2008 at 5:55 PM

Are you talking about this?

FABIAN, ALAN: Until August 2007, FABIAN was a national finance committee co-chair for ROMNEY. Now under federal indictment for mail fraud, money laundering, bankruptcy fraud, perjury, obstruction of justice and defrauding companies of $32 million in Maryland

offroadaz on January 23, 2008 at 5:58 PM

offroadaz on January 23, 2008 at 5:31 PM

Can you say plagiarism?

From a hate Romney web site no less.

fogw on January 23, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Can you say plagiarism?

From a hate Romney web site no less.

fogw on January 23, 2008 at 5:59 PM

plagarism? Hows that?

offroadaz on January 23, 2008 at 6:03 PM

From a hate Romney web site no less.

fogw on January 23, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Hmm where else am I expected to go to find anti romney facts other then a hate Romney site?

offroadaz on January 23, 2008 at 6:04 PM

plagarism? Hows that?

offroadaz on January 23, 2008 at 6:03 PM

copy and paste from an anti-Romney website. That’s how.

lan astaslem on January 23, 2008 at 6:05 PM

offroadaz on January 23, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Well, aleast your honest.

lan astaslem on January 23, 2008 at 6:06 PM

Mitt should have busted out with this:

First look at Mitt/Al!

ErikTheRed on January 23, 2008 at 6:07 PM

sorry thats not plagiarism….

Plagiarism is the practice of claiming or implying original authorship. I dont see where I did that.

offroadaz on January 23, 2008 at 6:08 PM

I guess Ana hasn’t done her spadework.

Dorvillian on January 23, 2008 at 6:11 PM

I’ve come to frickin’ loathe Romney in recent months for at least a dozen reasons, not least of which is that I’m convinced he’s going to get the nomination and either lose spectacularly or govern like the New England Kerry-esque liberal that he actually is.

So I’d be the first to point a Romney screw-up.

But there is nothing here. This is beyond stupid. Actually, the original “Macaca” thang was beyond stupid, so this beyond beyond stupid.

Not only is it not offensive … its frankly one of Mitt’s more human moments.

Romney fans should be pleased. When the MSM goes after your candidate on things this far beyond-beyond stupid, they think he’s the winner.

Professor Blather on January 23, 2008 at 6:11 PM

Maybe she wasn’t “no ways tired” – that’s why she didn’t have enough energy for all the spadework.

Sick people.

Dorvillian on January 23, 2008 at 6:13 PM

TheThink on January 23, 2008 at 5:23 PM

Happy Kwanzaa! BWAHAHAHAHA! That is hillarious. Sometimes the best remedy is to just laugh out loud. Honestly, I might have asked the guy to meet me during his break in the patio furniture section so we could sit and he could tell me more jokes.

I do smell what you’re cookin though about how absurd things can get sometimes. Again, all you can do is try to gauge intentions and if you’re so inclined, educate others.

***

And his recent lie that he “saw” his father marching with MLK..

all does not play well..

Chakra Hammer on January 23, 2008 at 5:43 PM

It may not be the smartest, but I like a man who’s not afraid to be himself, despite being himself. I was fairly hard on Mitt about the MLK marching flubs. But I do not doubt this man’s intentions to be a president for all people.

On top of everything, his message is one that African-Americans should be able to get behind – fiscal fitness.

The Race Card on January 23, 2008 at 6:15 PM

It just re-emphasizes that Mitt Romney is a square, a nerd and not hip.

But, if I wanted a hip President I’d vote for Snoop Dog.

joncoltonis on January 23, 2008 at 6:19 PM

offroadaz on January 23, 2008 at 5:31 PM

woof, woof, woof, woof!
******

I love the idea that we just might bring Norman Rockwell’s America back.

The kids looked like they were enjoying his company. Now if he’d asked her if her name was Vajayjay, or said something about all that junk inside her trunk, I’d be thinking macaca…

Buy Danish on January 23, 2008 at 6:20 PM

offroadaz on January 23, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Try thinking for yourself, doing your own homework, drawing your own conclusions and expressing your thoughts in your own words.

I know it’s hard. But give it a try.

Anyone with a keyboard can copy and paste.

fogw on January 23, 2008 at 6:25 PM

TheThink on January 23, 2008 at 5:23 PM

The salesman was probably just trying to be PC. I was talking to a sales clerk just before Christmas, and she told me she was afraid to say “Merry Christmas” or “Happy Hannukah” to customers, because it might offend someone. I told her that if somebody told me to have a “merry” or “happy” whatever day, that I’d just say “thanks,” even if it was a holiday I don’t celebrate. If somebody is wishing you a happy day, I doubt they’re really trying to offend.

AZCoyote on January 23, 2008 at 6:27 PM

… Now if he’d asked her if her name was Vajayjay ….

Buy Danish on January 23, 2008 at 6:20 PM

That is pure comedy. Where do I submit my expense report for a new monitor? I’d also like you to replace the Monster energy drink now streaming through my nostrils.

The Race Card on January 23, 2008 at 6:30 PM

It was certainly a cringe-worthy moment. Doesn’t seem to be a Dean scream or macaca moment, though. I think most black people would look at that and just figure Romney’s a dork, not racist or anything like that. As long as he doesn’t try to dance or play basketball, I think he’ll be okay.

aero on January 23, 2008 at 6:33 PM

Nothings funnier that watching old(ish) white guys trying to speak “homeboy”.

Security Mom on January 23, 2008 at 6:43 PM

Ah, Ana Marie Cox; constant jokes about butt sex are an acceptable route to a job at TIME, but a silly attempt by a white guy to relate to some black kids is Raaacist!!!

WasatchMan on January 23, 2008 at 6:59 PM

I wonder what Hotair.com would be saying if Huckabee did the exact same thing..

justinok on January 23, 2008 at 7:10 PM

makes more sense than anything mccain says.

warren1816 on January 23, 2008 at 7:16 PM

So he’s a dork. So what. He seemed genuinely friendly and sweet. As a Former Fredhead, the more I see him the more comfortable I feel with voting for him on 2/5.

Pongo on January 23, 2008 at 7:41 PM

The Race Card on January 23, 2008 at 6:30 PM

Submit here. The accounting department is notoriously slow and incompetent so I make no guarantees.

Buy Danish on January 23, 2008 at 7:47 PM