ESPN suspends anchor for one week over “F*** Jesus” comment

posted at 5:08 pm on January 23, 2008 by Allahpundit

She was drunk at a roast, jokingly taunting a Notre Dame alum about “Touchdown Jesus” when the blasphemy escaped her lips. Enter Catholic League President Bill Donohue, unswayed by the fact that she was obviously kidding, and voila — the token damage-control punishment is duly dispensed. A bunch of people sent me the WND link this morning with notes to the effect of “What if she’d said ‘f*** Mohammed’?” Per the Tribune piece, what if she did? CAIR would have shrieked, ESPN would have tried to ignore them, and if the publicity persisted they’d probably have ended up … suspending her for a week.

Or did my tipsters mean “What if she’d said ‘f*** Mohammed’ in an Islamic country?” In that case, of course, she’d be dead.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The ultimate problem is that both Bill Donohue and Ibrahim Hooper are jackasses who make jackasses of themselves on national television, and shouldn’t have this kind of influence in this country at all.

However, I am going to say that if we’re going to really enforce freedom of expression, then enforce it on those who do it to Islam first.

I’m gonna give Donohue the benefit of the doubt here. I’ve seen him interviewed several times, and I think he’s fighting the double standard and the bowing down to Muslims more than he’s standing up for Christians, and for that I like the guy. I hope everyone gets into the act until we’re all so goddamned tired of everyone being offended that we say “Screw it, you’ve got no right to not be offended, so shut the f*ck up!”

Rational Thought on January 23, 2008 at 7:14 PM

F*** ESPN.

Wise Golden on January 23, 2008 at 7:16 PM

Jacobson’s troubles come on the heels of the Golf Channel’s Kelly Tilghman being suspended for two weeks for saying younger players should “lynch him in a back alley” in a reference to Tiger Woods.

Well, it’s pretty obvious that there is no place in sports reporting for women!

Oh, dammit! Now I’LL be suspended for a week!

radjah shelduck on January 23, 2008 at 7:21 PM

TheBigOldDog on January 23, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Also, Notre Dame is a religious university. Don’t you think that it is at least possible that she only made the comment to screw with them? Kinda like if someone made the comment about a women’s school saying, “F- the school, F- the school’s mascot, and F- women!”

After all, it was a roast, and isn’t that the point of a roast?

Esthier on January 23, 2008 at 7:24 PM

In a statement, Jacobson said, “I am sorry. My remarks about Notre Dame were foolish and insensitive. I respect all religions and did not mean anything derogatory by my poorly chosen words. I also deeply regret the embarrassment I’ve caused ESPN and Mike and Mike.

Remarks about Notre Dame foolish – Correct.
I respect all religions – Religion has nothing to do with what she said. She was using the name of Jesus, not religion.
Poorly choosen words – She was drunk.
Regret embarrassment of ESPN and Mike and Mike – ok, go on.

“My actions at the roast were inappropriate and in no way represent who I am. I won’t make excuses for my behavior, but I do hope I can be forgiven for such a poor lack of judgment.”

Inappropriate – Correct.
in no way represent who I am – wrong. From the mouth comes what is in the heart.
I do hope I can be forgiven – Ok, forgiven. But, you should ask forgiveness from the name you used in the offensive way. I wonder if she could use the name of Jesus in a possitive way or just the way she didn’t intend.

livermush on January 23, 2008 at 7:24 PM

I’m just saying that she isn’t a bigot for her remark. She got carried away talking about a sports team. If you can’t get over this, your life will be very difficult.

Esthier on January 23, 2008 at 7:10 PM

How do you know she’s not a bigot? How do you know what’s in her heart?

This isn’t a matter of me getting over anything. I could care less if she was a raging bigot. I could care less if ESPN disciplined her or not. The issue here is the massive double standards of the media. I thought I already made that point very clear.

TheBigOldDog on January 23, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Rational Thought on January 23, 2008 at 7:14 PM

Exactly. To quote Lincoln, “I cannot spare this man. He fights.”

TheBigOldDog on January 23, 2008 at 7:33 PM

You mean Canada?

fourstringfuror on January 23, 2008 at 7:34 PM

Sorry guys those of you that are outraged that Bill Donohue made an issue of this and see nothing wrong with F*** Jesus are flat-out wrong here.

If she had stopped with the first two f-bombs it would have just shown that she is a cheap slut incapable of expressing herself in a humorous way at a roast. She crossed the line when she went that extra step and jumped from Notre Dame references (including touchdown Jesus) to an insult of Christianity in general.

The penalty is appropriate (far less than Imus got for making a, can you believe it, less offensive comment that got the race industry in an uproar). One thing that really bothers me about HA is the number of posters that are openly hostile to Christians. I thought we were supposed to be better than that but it is hard to come to that conclusion when one sees some of the comparisons that are being made between the Catholic League and CAIR.

highhopes on January 23, 2008 at 7:39 PM

whew, thank goodness it was a racial slur. They would have gotten more. Un f’n real.

johnnyU on January 23, 2008 at 7:55 PM

I mean “wasnt.”
type-o

johnnyU on January 23, 2008 at 7:56 PM

“Are we to believe that her hate speech is of no consequence?”
Bill Donohue

Oh, so now we want consequences for hate speech? Pffft. I’m a Christian and could care less what she says.

You want to be offended by what someone says at a roast?
Here you go.

SouthernDem on January 23, 2008 at 7:58 PM

We are a free country with freedom of speech. To be fired or suspended or intimidated for saying something is ridiculous. It was a comment meant in jest. Most Christians would have taken it that way. I imagine most Catholics would too. . . but the Catholic League is just as bad as CAIR in many ways.
ThackerAgency@6:06PM

As 1 of about 80 million Catholics in this country, I feel it is safe to say on behalf of my fellow Catholics, that most of us do not take this young lady’s comments about Jesus in jest. Free speech is not the issue here. She was representing ESPN at this roast. I am willing to bet that there is some sort of clause in her contract with them (ESPN) that stipulates that such behavior occuring on company time warrants some kind of discipline. She was suspended and I think that’s appropriate. She apologized. That’s the right thing to do. I am sure she is duly contrite and sincere, therefore, I forgive her.

FishFearMe on January 23, 2008 at 8:04 PM

Screw this idiot. She made a drunken ass of herself and was appropriately booed off stage. It was a completely ignorant and offensive remark.

The fact that Bill Donohue went after her doesn’t excuse what she said.
I know there is a certain amount of “in your face” appeal for those non-believers who blaspheme Christ, but they would benefit from taking a moment to consider the amount of good the followers of Christ have contributed to this world. If they can’t bring themselves to respect a deity they don’t believe in, maybe they could show more respect to a group of people who undeniably deserve it.

Dork B. on January 23, 2008 at 8:13 PM

yeah there was that one that said something during a golf tourny too. Had it have been RUSH or anyone else, they’d have lost the gig.

johnnyU on January 23, 2008 at 8:18 PM

“Can’t we all just get along here”. lol. she is just a drunk idiot that didn’t think before she opened her big mouth. Now she pays the price. Big deal. Next subject please.

devere252 on January 23, 2008 at 8:44 PM

I am one of those rabid Presbyterians – I go to church both days (Christmas and Easter).

Nonetheless, I have for some time felt a bit of resentment arising over AP and his evangelical atheism. Thus, I find myself visiting the site less than once I did.

I have my beliefs – low key, but beliefs – and I am somewhat amazed at the baiting and insulting of Christians that has become so much a part of some atheists’ patter.

My buds that are atheists (or, more usually, agnostic) have no fear that I will belittle them for their beliefs.

Why is it that some atheists have adopted the evangelical zeal they so obviously resent.

Love ya AP, but if someone as low key as I is becoming a bit disenchanted, it may be time to lighten up a tad – not all the way, for it is sometimes well deserved, but a tad.

TruthSeeker on January 23, 2008 at 8:52 PM

Why no sensitivity training?

I hate PC … we either have free speech or we don’t. But my point is if she would have used the f-word in conjunction with any minority or gays …. it would have been sensitivity training at the least and probably fired.

Why is it when mainstream Christians are the target… its no big deal?

Maxx on January 23, 2008 at 9:32 PM

Good! We all know damn well if she’d said,”F*** Mohmammed” her career would be over.

And Lent is only 2 weeks away. She should go to an Ash Wednesday service and do some pennance. It seems only fair.

Amy Proctor on January 23, 2008 at 9:34 PM

TruthSeeker on January 23, 2008 at 8:52 PM

I’m with you on that.

Why are so many militant atheists on this site?

faraway on January 23, 2008 at 9:56 PM

TruthSeeker on January 23, 2008 at 8:52 PM

Well then, I must be one of those radical Presbyterians that go to church most Sundays. :-0

As I posted on this thread, there is a hostile anti-Christian strain on HA that I just don’t understand. It usually shows up in these types of stories and has absolutely nothing to do with topic. Somehow Bill Donohue became the nasty bastard of the story when all he did was object to a public figure bashing Christ! Like you, that’s far from my experience with unbelievers in “real life” who know of my faith and respect it while they hold different views.

highhopes on January 23, 2008 at 10:20 PM

How do you know she’s not a bigot? How do you know what’s in her heart?

I can ask you the same question. How do you know that she is a bigot. How do you know what’s in her heart?

For the record though, I was very clear in what I said.

I’m just saying that she isn’t a bigot for her remark.

For her remark.

I didn’t say she isn’t one. I actually finished the sentence a few words later.

For all I know she is a bigot.

TheBigOldDog on January 23, 2008 at 7:28 PM

No, your issue is a desire to see the double standard corrected by making those who say things against Christians suffer the same fate of those who insult any other group of people. That’s not the same.

Most agree that what Sharpton does is messed up. You seem to want your own Sharpton.

Esthier on January 23, 2008 at 10:48 PM

Sheesh, Is today national thin skinned Christian day! It was a tasteless remark at a roast. I happen to have it on good authority that things can get tasteless at a roast. Really certain Christians need to lighten up. I recommend the comic stylings of noted Jewish comedian Gilbert Godfry as posted in the link by SouthernDem to help with said lightening.

Shtetl G on January 23, 2008 at 11:05 PM

Well, with a face like that, she’s going to be mad at someone…

Grayson on January 23, 2008 at 11:08 PM

If one portends to be a Christian, one does not need to be thin skinned to feel this was a highly insulting incident. Nonetheless, those I have spoken with are not angry, simply baffled that some do not see it as so. I haven’t noticed any calls for scourging, lashings or beheadings – nor calls for muzzling of her right to say such things.

Simply, it should be clear that any barely cognizant person, even in her cups, should expect some level of backlash for this type of statement at a public forum.

There are many things we might say in an outburst that we know would be hurtful or cause disruption – so as civilized chaps and lasses we tend to avoid such blurts. We see this to the extreme with those far a port and the fear of insulting radical Islam.

This common civility seems to be eroding when it comes to something so personal as the Christian faith. Yet…

She is free to say it again tomorrow without fear of a fatwah by archbishops or popes. To suggest, however, this would not bring offense to many (obviously not all) Christians is (I humbly believe) either disingenuous or tinged with agenda.

A point, again in my humble opinion – that AP and others seem to miss – is the congruence of the deconstruction of the Judeo-Christian ethos, the rise of radical Islam, and the agenda points of the far left.

In Europe, one result of this is the gain in strength of one of my least favorite types – neo-fascist groups.

This is not because most of the people who are suddenly listening to VB and the like are fascist starter kits. It is because they are looking for someone/something that is attempting to ameliorate what they see as attacks on their civilization.

Thus, AP and evangelical atheists might be faced with a choice – who is more of an ally and/or threat, the casual Presbyterian (et al), or the shadow Islamists who rejoice when Christianity is belittled and attacked?

TruthSeeker on January 23, 2008 at 11:43 PM

Fvck Mohammed.

Kralizec on January 24, 2008 at 12:12 AM

Esthier on January 23, 2008 at 10:48 PM

You are kiddin’…right? In 2001, about 80% of Americans described themselves as Christian, according to the American Religious Indentification Survey. Using 300,000,000 as the baseline population of the USA (that’s a little high for 2001, but it’s close and it’s an easy number to use), 80% of that would be 240,000,000 folks. I don’t think that I’m going out on a ledge here to say that the VAST majority of these 240,000,000 people would be somewhat insulted by what Ms. Jacobson said. To your way of thinking, evidently that’s OK. We are just Christians. Has the Reverend Sharpton responded to this incident? After all, he IS a man of the cloth. What about Jesse Jackson? Oh yeah, I forgot. Ms. Jacobson wasn’t at Emory University drunkenly saying “F**k Malcom X”. THAT would be all over ABC, CBS, NBC, ESPN, MSNBC, CNN, New York Times, etc. Yup, I agree with TheBigOldDog. That double standard needs to be thrown into the dustbin of history.

FishFearMe on January 24, 2008 at 12:16 AM

Reference for above comment:

FishFearMe on January 24, 2008 at 12:19 AM

Somebody should tell all you Christians that Jesus is an imaginary figure and there is no historical proof that he ever existed. So it’s a little stupid to get bent about an insult to some guy you have no proof ever lived to begin with. Much less rose from the dead three days later.

At least Muslims have historical evidence that Muhammed was a real guy.

Jaynie59 on January 24, 2008 at 12:40 AM

Jaynie59 on January 24, 2008 at 12:40 AM

Another dull knife in the silverware drawer of life.

FishFearMe on January 24, 2008 at 12:48 AM

Jaynie59 on January 24, 2008 at 12:40 AM

I think you don’t exist.

Mojave Mark on January 24, 2008 at 1:27 AM

Jaynie59 on January 24, 2008 at 12:40 AM

Either the drunken monkeys got ahold of the keyboard again, or we have our first Islamic troll.

TexasDan on January 24, 2008 at 2:06 AM

I’ve e-mailed AP in regards to this and also wish he’d stop playing these nonsensical Christian-bating stories, but I keep coming back because I do find his conservative insight unique and always fascinating. Besides, Bryan is the resident evangelical here, so he at least provides some balance.

What I have constantly found amazing is how easily Christians are willing to be offended in instances like this. There’s nothing wrong with calling this woman accountable for some tasteless words, but to become take so much offense to this woman as to get bent out of shape over it is the kind of power that no one deserves to have over me or any other reasonable Christian. I prefer to let liberals hand themselves over to me when they take great offense at my words; I refuse to let them sling any sort of weight around my neck.

So, in conclusion… AP: You’re an athiest and we get it. Your incessant pronounciation of this is martyr-esque and gets weary. I don’t see Bryan jumping up and down propogandizing his faith the way you do. I’m constantly amazed by how much restraint Christians often show in the face of opposing religions who flay Christianity and then turn around and act like they are somehow the ones who are truly oppressed.

As for the ESPN lady, the story would’ve been far more intruiging had she actually used “Mohammed” instead of Jesus. We all knew she’d just get a little slap on the wrist for using the latter, but what sort of Britain-esque repurcussions would have accomodated her if she’d let the “M” word slip?

Jockolantern on January 24, 2008 at 3:05 AM

highhopes on January 23, 2008 at 7:39 PM

Someone wasn’t hugged enough as a kid.

Nonfactor on January 24, 2008 at 4:40 AM

1. Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor and drowsiness clothes them in rags.
-Proverbs 23:20-21 (NIV)

She learned that lesson.

At least Muslims have historical evidence that Muhammed was a real guy.

Jaynie59 on January 24, 2008 at 12:40 AM

Actually, the historical evidence that Jesus existed is extremely large and has never been seriously contested by historians. Belief in his message and in his rising from the dead three days later cannot be proven or disproven; they are matters of faith.

Jockolantern on January 24, 2008 at 3:05 AM

AGREED!

Bubba Redneck on January 24, 2008 at 5:26 AM

Luke 6 says that “Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks.” So,, though,, this is making news around here, God is really not shocked. He witnesses profanity like this through our hearts and lives every day, long before it ever spills out of the mouth.

JellyToast on January 24, 2008 at 7:38 AM

“Ration Thought” seems eager to offend everybody in order to prove that

you’ve got no right not to be offended.

Get a therapist, man! Your hatred is bad for your health.

jgapinoy on January 24, 2008 at 7:41 AM

She’s not hot enough to forgive quickly. I think a couple of full frontal nudes and a tearful appology and she is totally forgiven.

Rode Werk on January 23, 2008 at 6:01 PM

I think Touchdown Jesus would prefer a Hail Mary.

James on January 24, 2008 at 7:51 AM

I think touchdown Jesus would prefer a little monologue where she praises Him, tells other people how wonderful it is to be His, stretches her arms out like Jesus did on the cross, and dedicate her life to Him. That would be a good beginning.

PoliticallyIncorrectSandy on January 24, 2008 at 8:55 AM

So how come ESPN drops Rush Limbaugh a yaer or so back for a misinterpreted comment he made about a black football player, but this gal drops the F-Bomb more than once in front of a live audience and gets a one week time out that amounts to a slap on the hand? This had happened less than two years ago, she would have been fired on the spot without the right to an appeal!

pilamaye on January 24, 2008 at 10:24 AM

Jaynie59 on January 24, 2008 at 12:40 AM

Cornelius Tacitus, AD 55-120, affirms that the founder of Christianity, “Chrestus,” was executed by Pilate during the reign of Tiberias.
Lucian of Samosata, late second century, objected to Christian worship of a man – acknowledging the existence of the Christians’ object of worship.
Suetonius, in his Life of Claudius, refers to Claudius expelling Jews from Rome for their activities surrounding a man he calls Chrestus. This expulsion is recorded in Acts.
Pliny the Younger, second century governor of Bithynia, refers to Jesus in a letter to Trajan.
Thallus and Phlegon both recorded that the land went dark when Jesus was crucified.
Mara Bar-Sarapion, late first century, wrote a letter to his son describing the Jews executing their King.
Flavius Josephus, born c. AD 38, described Jesus as a wise man, a doer of wonderful works, and referred to Him as “the Christ.” He mentions that He was executed by Pilate and rose from the dead.

Akzed on January 24, 2008 at 10:43 AM

unswayed by the fact that she was obviously kidding

I didn’t take it as kidding….The words you use represent what lives in your heart. If she believed otherwise, she never could have made this statement.

Because you atheists have no belief, you cannot fathom what these attacks mean to true believers. You’re in a position much a like a leftist trying to discuss Reaganomics.

Fuzzball on January 24, 2008 at 11:55 AM

PoliticallyIncorrectSandy on January 24, 2008 at 8:55 AM

Let me guess…you’re one of those people who fakes being overcome with emotion and ‘spontaneously’ reaches up with one or both arms while listening to Christian rock…

…because everyone else is being spontaneous, too.

James on January 24, 2008 at 1:58 PM