“…there was not a ‘mass grave.’”

posted at 2:45 pm on January 22, 2008 by Bryan

And so goes the Beauchamp saga. Confederate Yankee has scans of Scott Thomas Beauchamp’s official statements concerning his “Baghdad Diarist” writings. He never comes out and says that they were fabrications, but he does repudiate some of the factual claims that he made in his diaries, in a lawyerly sort of way.

No reaction from The New Republic, which published Beauchamp and then tarred his critics, including the military. TNR would eventually use their own actions to urge the Army to release its Beauchamp documents.

Comments

The Beaucamp’s stories were fabrications?

I am totally, utterly and completely shocked.

Weebork on January 22, 2008 at 2:46 PM

I question the everything.

AbaddonsReign on January 22, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Well, you can sweep me up in a dustpan… I fell all to pieces over this news! Who would have guessed that such an illustrious organization like TNR would have been mislead on such an august matter such as this….

/do I really need to?

Vanceone on January 22, 2008 at 2:56 PM

This guy needs to go back to Iraq…………..

TroubledMonkey on January 22, 2008 at 2:58 PM

I think some have missed the point. The military’s forms emphasis on empty facts disables the much more important journalistic pursuit of the real truth. Dan Rather can explain it fully.

snaggletoothie on January 22, 2008 at 3:03 PM

…and this will get coverage in the MSM when exactly?

lodestonejames on January 22, 2008 at 3:06 PM

Why is it always the REMF’s that run their mouths about the war get all the attention? Most of the ranks of vets against this and vets against that are supply clerks or truck drivers. I just dont get it.

TroubledMonkey on January 22, 2008 at 3:09 PM

TroubledMonkey on January 22, 2008 at 3:09 PM

Simple. It’s hard to go back home and brag to your girlfriends about cleaning out the latrine.

(Disclaimer: I am in NO way disparaging the contributions of those who serve in a support and/or non-combat capacity in our armed forces. Your service is just as appreciated as that of our front line troops, and I’m sure they’d be the first to say so. Just being a smartass.)

CurtZHP on January 22, 2008 at 3:20 PM

LOL

Very good point (course it could be argued I was a REMF).

F15Mech on January 22, 2008 at 3:21 PM

The Benedict Arnold Award this month goes to………

Hening on January 22, 2008 at 3:36 PM

Why oh why would someone make up false statements about the war in Iraq-statements that make it sound several times worse than it already is (see also Lancet Study, DNC practice of combining Iraq/Afghanistan costs then doubling them, and so forth)?

scottm on January 22, 2008 at 3:37 PM

Well, butter my buns and call me a biscuit!

jl on January 22, 2008 at 3:39 PM

LOL

Very good point (course it could be argued I was a REMF).

I was an 11B2P in the mid 80′s and past my prime. I was lucky to be surounded by Sr NCOs and Field grade officers who served in Vietnam, I respected them and trusted their leadership. I see these guys who get trotted out as the ones who think they rep the soldiers who are still there. They dont seem to me the guys who are capable of speaking for the line troops.

TroubledMonkey on January 22, 2008 at 3:42 PM

I question the everything.

Heh. Indeed.

Bad Penny on January 22, 2008 at 3:51 PM

scum

oakpack on January 22, 2008 at 4:04 PM

…They dont seem to me the guys who are capable of speaking for the line troops.

I saw the same thing in the mid/late 90s, The one MSGT who I respected and trusted (as did everyone else under him) was never going to make it past an E-7 because he pissed off to many officers (by going against them) when they made bad calls.

Instead it was the office people that got promoted and ordered us to do stupid things all in the interest of “monthly flight hours”.

F15Mech on January 22, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Stop it! Bryan.

Every time you show that juvenile @zzwipe’s ugly mug with it’s smarmy i-just-burned-joint-in-my-mommy’s-basement smirk, I have to buy a new monitor ’cause I punch the flat screen snott outta the old one!

Stop it! Bryan.

locomotivebreath1901 on January 22, 2008 at 4:16 PM

You mean the MSM lied to us NOOOOOOooooooooo……!!!!!!

HotAirExpert on January 22, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Sounds like my acting 1SG, he was an E-7 who was busted early on for standing up to an officer when in Vietnam. When I got orders to go to Abn School he said “Don’t let me down” I didn’t and still admire his leadership as did the rest of my Co. He was black and I am white but looked up to him as a father figure and one of the best leaders of men I saw in 6 yrs of service. The young officers and NCO’s I see telling their side in support of the mission in Iraq/Afghanistan display the same skills, it is a lot about confidence I guess. Im sure my opinion is biased of those that speak out but I just dont get the same feel from them.

TroubledMonkey on January 22, 2008 at 4:27 PM

Hening

You’re giving Benedict Arnold a bad name! At least he did some useful things before he changed sides.

jl on January 22, 2008 at 4:41 PM

He smeared our country and his comrades in arms. Has he asked to be forgiven?

Zorro on January 22, 2008 at 9:11 PM

I happen to know that the beauchamp stories were absolutely true, I read them on a well respected, absolutley honest main stream website called the new republic that would never stoop to lies or disinformation to promote an agenda knowing that their reputation would be below that of a crack whore who would….. what’s that honey?.. really?… are you sure?…Oh well! never mind (Emily Latella).

Dadzilla on January 22, 2008 at 9:53 PM