Report: Fred dropping out; Update: Confirmed; Update: What went wrong? Update: The man who stopped Huckmentum

posted at 2:18 pm on January 22, 2008 by Allahpundit

Ambinder says so and Carl Cameron is reporting it on Fox now. Stand by for updates.

Update: Cameron says it could come tonight or tomorrow. He’s already informed his campaign headquarters, in person.

Update: The website hadn’t been updated in four days. The “Fred File feed” is already offline.

Update: Here’s the official statement via his web guy, Jon Henke:

McLean, VA – Senator Fred Thompson today issued the following statement about his campaign for President:

“Today I have withdrawn my candidacy for President of the United States. I hope that my country and my party have benefited from our having made this effort. Jeri and I will always be grateful for the encouragement and friendship of so many wonderful people.”

Update: The problem in one word: Not laziness but disorganization. Karl’s been doing yeoman’s work at Goldstein’s place lately tracking how Hillary managed to eke out wins against Obama despite the fact that he’s well-funded and light years more charismatic than she is. Read this post and follow the links to the Las Vegas Sun and, especially, to Zak Exley to see what it takes. The media likes sexy/dopey pop-psych narratives about election-eve crying and racial jabs, but organization matters — a lot, a rule Fred always seemed to believe he could ignore by counting on his True Conservative status to carry him through. Again I point you to this Mark Steyn post, or to MM’s tale of how his people couldn’t pull it together to get 500 signatures in Delaware. If the lesson (or one of the lessons) of Ron Paul’s newsletter fiasco was that you can’t trust a guy to manage a country if he can’t manage his own vanity publication, how can you trust a guy who can’t figure out how to get on the ballot in all 50 states?

So I’m chalking it up to disorganization. The alternative, that Bush killed the Reagan coalition dead and left Thompson types inviable no matter how efficiently their machines might run, is simply too terrible to contemplate.

Update: He served up the red meat, says Geraghty, but he didn’t char-grill it.

Update: I fear this news calls for anti-humpbot.

Chocolate Bunny Kill

Add to My Profile | More Videos

Update: Mitt’s race to lose now in Florida?

Update: I flagged these links after the South Carolina but we’re in obit mode here so let’s bring them back. What’s the legacy of Fred’s campaign? Disappointment and disorganization, yes, but something else too:

The reaction from Marvin Katzen, the McCain supporter who told us earlier in the evening that he was looking for vindication from the 2000 loss to tonight’s win: “Thank God for Fred Thompson.” Katzen credits McCain’s victory to the fact that Thompson split the conservative evangelical vote with Mike Huckabee in Upstate.

“While well behind and tied for third place with Romney, Thompson did make gains,” wrote Thomas Edsall, “and the data suggest that the 6 points Thompson picked up came out of Huckabee’s hide.” Huck’s own people admitted as much. It falls to Romney to finish McCain but Fred can claim a moral victory in having dispatched the demagogue.

Update: If you believe ARG, and you probably shouldn’t, McCain’s lead in Florida is now large enough that picking up Fred’s supporters won’t matter to Mitt.

Update: A wistful eulogy from Spruiell.

Update: Rich Galen, a now former Fred advisor, is pushing his man for veep.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 6 7 8

And McCain isn’t?

Sir Andrew on January 22, 2008 at 10:45 PM

Most of you guys’ think politics is a game, whoever lies the most wins, but you underestimate the danger you place the country in by electing career politicians like McCain, and Thompson, well, Fred’s out now, but okay now you’ll support Liberals Giuliani and Romney and ACtually believe they will change the country. I can’t believe my eyes.

apacalyps on January 22, 2008 at 11:00 PM

career politicians like McCain, and Thompson

Well, you are half right. I’d suggest that you actually look at Thompson’s very multi-faceted career before you dribble out any more tripe like that.

No doubt your guy is the Huckster, who has been in politics about the same cumulative length of time as Thompson.

Using ‘CHANGE’ as you (and the Democrats) do, is just pandering to the weak minded. Rational people aren’t seeking change so much as we are seeking competence.

And the people seeking ‘change’ will see change alright; If the people they support do get elected, the whole country will see ‘change’: Change for the worse.

LegendHasIt on January 22, 2008 at 11:27 PM

LegendHasIt on January 22, 2008 at 11:27 PM

STOP the noise about Sir Fred. (Actually only Rudy has been knighted)
No, Fred is not a career politician. He could only be bothered to served his country for 8 years in office (even though he is a million years old). But stop the nonsense about his “multi-faceted career” as some kind of outsider. He was a career lobbyists. He typified the inside the beltway backroom gladhander smoking cigars with politicians exchanging favors — that is, when he wasn’t chasing moonshiners or spying for Nixon.

Can we finally step out of the Fred Distortion Field (“FDF”)

tommylotto on January 23, 2008 at 5:34 AM

tommylotto on January 23, 2008 at 5:34 AM

You know, Fred’s out of the race. Can’t you shut up with your stupid Fred-hating crap yet? I think if Fred got shot dead tomorrow, you’d still be spouting the same horseshit the next day.

MadisonConservative on January 23, 2008 at 8:43 AM

Romney nominates Ron Paul as Veep – shock the world…and win with a landslide.

fossten on January 23, 2008 at 9:44 AM

Vanceone on January 22, 2008 at 4:28 PM

I just caught this; even when I don’t comment, you have to drag me in.
If you think I hate Mormon’s so much, then show me where I mis-quoted them (oh yeah, I once said one person was the mormon president, when it was someone else, that’s all you got). Show me where I called them names, like you have a tendency to call others names when they don’t agree with you.
Funny, when someone brings to light the actual things you believe in, you call that “hating”. So if someone lied about your faith, then they are what, lovers?
You are still angry that you conceded you would give up your 14 year old daughter to your living prophet if he asked…and I called that despicable, we will let other judge whether that is a good, sound, sane, faithful decision.
If I hate Mormon’s, which I don’t, but I do hate that part of their faith.

right2bright on January 23, 2008 at 5:49 PM