Now it can be told: Carl Cameron says he knew all along that Fred was only in it for the VP nomination; Update: Hit piece? Update: What did Fox know and when did they know it?

posted at 5:56 pm on January 22, 2008 by Allahpundit

Too bad to check, although it’d certainly explain his half-hearted campaigning. He wanted to be VP, was surprised to find major buzz behind a presidential run, took a stab at it to see if he could convert the buzz into votes, and then predictably flamed out when he half-assed it.

I don’t quite believe it, but Cameron mentioned something about this yesterday too on FNC. Can it be? Can the whole Fredhead phenomenon be nothing but a lark spun off from a stunt aimed at raising Fred’s profile to the point where he’d be viable as John McCain’s number two?

Update: Excruciating: “I sent off a resume to the campaign in, oh, seems like about May, and never heard from them.”

Update: A reader e-mails to remind us (snidely) that Cameron’s been hammering Fred ever since his pal Jim Mills was hired away from FNC by the campaign and then summarily fired a few weeks later, leaving him high and dry. I’ve noted that intriguing background detail myself in previous posts. I don’t know anything about Cameron to make me think he’d be so vindictive as to invent details to smear a disfavored subject, but there’s your grain of salt.

Update: Jack M. tells Ace that he heard the same rumors about Fred sniffing around for a VP nomination back when Cameron claims to have heard them, from which Ace mines this quandary:

Carl Cameron most likely let his fellow Foxies in on the Big Secret he was keeping confidential. This almost certainly distorted FoxNews’ coverage of Fred Thompson, which was strangely antipathetic towards him. Fred complained that he wasn’t getting much play at Fox, and there does seem to be some evidence for that.

Fred Thompson should have enjoyed a fairly warm reception at conservative-leaning, Reagan-revering Fox — and yet he seems not to. Why? Well, perhaps because Fox was acting as if Cameron’s scoop were true… while not telling their audience the reasons for their behavior.

Which leads to serious questions. If FoxNews was sitting on an undisclosed scoop they could not reveal due to oaths of secrecy, should they then behave according to that knowledge?

Did they behave according to that knowledge? I’m skeptical; the alleged FNC bias against Fred has always seemed dubious to me. Remember too who sponsored the debate at which Fred was given his big chance to hammer Huckabee and which correspondent it was who granted him that time.

Update: Another point and a question. If the rumors even trickled down to congressional staffers like Jack then surely Cameron wasn’t the only member of the media to hear of them. There’s no reason to think they colored FNC’s coverage any more than any other net’s (unless you buy the revenge-for-Mills theory). But in that case, why is today the first we’re hearing of this? Cameron says he was sworn to secrecy but surely not everyone who got wind of it, like Jack, had made promises to his source. And it’s juicy enough — not scandal-juicy but intrigue-juicy — to make it worth the while of some reporter hunting for scoops to have dug around and tossed it out there during the campaign. The fact that no one did makes me think it’s paper-thin.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Romney is an unelectable candidate. The only way he would fly is if he had Huckabee on the ticket…but considering they hate each other….unelectable he stays.

Fixed

HaraldHardrada on January 22, 2008 at 7:30 PM

Farald, just pack it in. Huckster is gone just as surely as Fred. And now that Chuck has done his duty by being suitably politically incorrect he can retire himself as well. We don’t need any over-aged politicians OR martial arts heroes.

Igor R. on January 22, 2008 at 7:36 PM

It was supposed to be a Newt/Fred or a Fred/Newt Ticket.

When Gingrich didnt materialize, it all flamed out.

I’ll vote for Romney or McCain, should either grab the nomination. Either one of them is better than any Democrat in contention.

Sheesh….

southsideironworks on January 22, 2008 at 7:37 PM

Whoa that’s funny- I sent’em one and heard from’em the next day!

Ex-tex on January 22, 2008 at 7:40 PM

I don’t quite buy it, but I’d be happy with him as VP.
Mitt was asked about it today and seemed hip to the idea.

CP on January 22, 2008 at 7:40 PM

I’ve been looking for an analysis like this all day. This is the closest to a scientific analysis I’ve found:

With Thompson Out, Who Benefits Most?

bnelson44 on January 22, 2008 at 7:42 PM

Igor R. on January 22, 2008 at 7:33 PM

I think you mainly agreed with me.
Of course a sour economy benefits liberals politically so the media is going to make the worst of it.

Speakup on January 22, 2008 at 7:48 PM

I think you mainly agreed with me.

Speakup on January 22, 2008 at 7:48 PM

Yes, I mainly did agree, the future is bright as ever and the mortgage thing has now pulled the market lower than it should have, in numerical terms so the next step is up. They emphasize the negatives much more to sell newspapers and ads than Hillary and Obama, but they do take great delight in any “failures” on the Republican watch.

Igor R. on January 22, 2008 at 7:56 PM

Keep an eye on those campaign funds, Fredheads. They have a nasty habit of walking off on their own when Freddy’s around.

tommylotto on January 22, 2008 at 8:06 PM

The RINOs are those now advocating running away from the Republican pary. These three are not doing that, but a lot of people here and on the blogs are.

bnelson44 on January 22, 2008 at 7:20 PM

BS… show me how McCain or Huckabee (or even Rudy) is a real conservative? I vote my principals… small government, power down to the state/local level, lower taxes and lower spending (esp the pork), strong national defense (which includes energy independence… so the arabs can drink their oil) and 100% sovreignty of our country (the UN and Mexico can both go get bent)…. those are conservative principals. McCain doesn’t fit that bill. Never will. Hell, he even offered to be Kerry’s VP in ’04?

And you call me a RINO? Maybe, but I’m a conservative. Maybe, the party just went soft on me? But I won’t play “follow-the-leader” over the cliff… have fun.

BadBrad on January 22, 2008 at 8:23 PM

Do you think for one flipping minute that any of the Fredheads will simply jump to whichever candidate he supports? No f’ing way. McCain is the anti-Fred. (Well, besides the fact that they are two pompous Senators.) Even if Fred endorses him, he ain’t moving much of the small pile of support he built up. The most conservative guy left is Romney. Fredheads will either fall in behind Mitt or sit it out.

Sugar Land on January 22, 2008 at 8:32 PM

tommylotto on January 22, 2008 at 8:06 PM

Dude, he can keep the four bucks….

liquidflorian on January 22, 2008 at 8:39 PM

HaraldHardrada on January 22, 2008 at 7:30 PM

Geez. What do you do Harald, just cut and paste the same comment over and over on different threads? Pretty tiresome.

Face it, Huck is a short timer. He has no money and his poll numbers are in a nose dive. Fred’s departure doesn’t help Huck as Fred was peeling votes away from Mitt and Rudy.

Come Wednesday after Super Tuesday Huck will be gone. What will you be cutting and pasting then?

BacaDog on January 22, 2008 at 8:43 PM

Huckabee – NO.
John McCain – NO.
Ron Paul – Puh-leeeze.

Rudy down and almost out unless Fox News comes in for the daring rescue. Don’t mess with our guns, don’t tell us you didn’t run a sanctuary city when you did, don’t tell us you’re pro-choice, but you pinky-promise to nominate conservative judges in the image of Roberts, Scalia, and Alito. Mmm… no.

Oink on January 22, 2008 at 8:49 PM

Carl Cameron knew it all along!!!!11111!!!!!

Is that why he announced Fred was dropping out before Fred got the chance to announce it???

Sir Andrew on January 22, 2008 at 9:38 PM

No candidate ever says pubicly that they’re running for #2–even when they are. In hindsight, since Fred wasn’t exactly “tearing it up,” this does at least seem pretty plausible.

ConBlog_NH on January 22, 2008 at 9:38 PM

Tre’ dissappointamon a la Fred.

44Magnum on January 22, 2008 at 9:46 PM

How long have I been saying this?

I bet you feel stupid that you didn’t listen to me!

HaraldHardrada on January 22, 2008 at 6:20 PM

You sound like csdevin used to. You need to become friends and get Romney elected.

Huckabee/Petraus 2008

That’s how you do it!

HaraldHardrada on January 22, 2008 at 6:51 PM

Huck wouldn’t comprehend what Petraeus is telling him.

Petraus has a job to do in the War on Terror, let’s not befuddle that.

bnelson44 on January 22, 2008 at 6:53 PM

HH would say that the WoT is already befuddled, except he’d use another word for it.

aero, didn’t you promise something this afternoon?

Entelechy on January 22, 2008 at 9:48 PM

aero, didn’t you promise something this afternoon?

Entelechy on January 22, 2008 at 9:48 PM

I promised to stop punching troll-feeders. Want me to go back to punching them? Or you want me to punch the troll himself?

aero on January 22, 2008 at 9:56 PM

It’s been my contention that Fred is basically a dumber, slower, uncharismatic George Bush. And anyone who actually believed Thompson was a man of conviction (LOL), I’m sorry to say, but… your judgment is less than sound

Fred is an oaf

Opinionnation on January 22, 2008 at 10:02 PM

How very uncharitable of you, Opinionated.

Jaibones on January 22, 2008 at 10:05 PM

Or you want me to punch the troll himself?

aero on January 22, 2008 at 9:56 PM

You won’t catch him.

Maybe it’s just timing – thought I saw another ‘punching’ in this thread. Might have been before your promise – you’re good :)

Entelechy on January 22, 2008 at 10:06 PM

invent details to smear a disfavored subject

Not Carl Cameron! I’m shocked!

fourstringfuror on January 22, 2008 at 10:14 PM

Did anyone get the plate numbers on the red truck that drove off with all that money? Hmmmm.

America should get what America deserves…HILLARY CLINTON.

Thats right, I said Hillary Clinton.

Then amybe they’ll snap, but I doubt it.

NickTx on January 22, 2008 at 10:14 PM

Entelechy on January 22, 2008 at 10:06 PM

Yeah, there was one pre-promise punching on this thread. I stopped when I said I would.

Glad you don’t want me to punch the troll. I bet he smells really bad.

aero on January 22, 2008 at 10:16 PM

Easily the dumbest idea I’ve heard. I never thought the vice presidency was considered a highly desirable job, unless you’re young enough to wait 8 years before even trying for the brass ring. If Fred wants an easy, high-paying job requiring little work, HE’S AN ACTOR!!!

[Whoa. Little hoarse now.]

Now, compare that to the prospect of working his butt off through at least two states, away from his family, with never any kind of promise of success. Doesn’t compute.

If he really wanted the VP slot, the best way would be to pick the most likely candidate while avoiding offense to any other candidate, and spend time attacking Hillary, Obama, and the whole Democrat party on all their faults that just happen to be his candidate’s strong points.

Fred didn’t campaign for VP, and he didn’t campaign as if he was after VP.

So far, everything Carl Cameron has predicted about Fred turned out to be wrong. I think this just completes his sweep.

theregoestheneighborhood on January 22, 2008 at 10:17 PM

Dude, he can keep the four bucks….

liquidflorian on January 22, 2008 at 8:39 PM

I want four bucks…

NickTx on January 22, 2008 at 10:23 PM

HaraldHardrada on January 22, 2008 at 7:30 PM

I’ve become convinced in the last few weeks that Romney is the only one who can defeat the democrats. Against hillary he cleans up because he is nicer, smarter, more experienced and better looking. Against barry the looks and niceness cancel each other out. The crap about Romney being slick disappears in a debate because when talking about specifics Romney cleans barry’s clock. barry will come off as the slick one because he can’t talk in specifics and he’ll very obviously be full of crap. mccain is a mean old liberal. The huckster is a younger meaner version of mccain. rudy is just a liberal with way too many skeletons in his closet. I don’t even want to know about what went on with his gay roommates now let alone in the middle of a presidential race that could determine the existance of the free world.

peacenprosperity on January 22, 2008 at 10:33 PM

It’s obvious to me that Carl C. has had it in for Fred for some time. You could tell by his reporting the lack of respect. And let’s face it, without FNC support, Fred was doomed.

conservnut on January 22, 2008 at 10:35 PM

Popped in for a minute…. oy! What’s all this talk about voting for McCain, Romney and Giuliani!? Don’t any of you realize the danger you’re placing your country in? None of them can beat Hillary Clinton, and if she get’s into power it’s the END of America! Do you people take stupid pills?

apacalyps on January 22, 2008 at 10:37 PM

I think it’s obvious to any casual observer Cameron is at least licking McCain’s boots…probably doing more than that. His giddiness Saturday night was probably evident had they panned down below his waistline.

SouthernGent on January 22, 2008 at 10:38 PM

Carl Cameron is a little frickin’ NAZI. Rest assured.

Griz on January 22, 2008 at 10:45 PM

It’s about time Fred dropped out. Now watch him attack Huckabee on the airwaves just like he did in South Carolina. Ridiculous. The common people better step up help stop this GOP propaganda machine from “turning off the electricity” of true conservatism.

apacalyps on January 22, 2008 at 10:46 PM

I don’t usually criticize physical appearence but Carl is a bit pencil necked. NTTAWWT.

a capella on January 22, 2008 at 10:51 PM

Speaking of pencil necked, I see the other troll is here.

a capella on January 22, 2008 at 10:52 PM

I’m getting the sense that you are a huckabee supporter. If my perceptions are true, let me state something that i’m sure you’ve been told all your life. You are dumb as a stump.

peacenprosperity on January 22, 2008 at 10:55 PM

I’ve pretty much given up on Fox news. They went with the beltway establishment in the end, and are getting more liberal by the day.

/shrug

TCJ on January 22, 2008 at 10:58 PM

I’ve always sensed that Carl lists to the left. He makes the most idiotic pronouncements, and the only question is whether they are intentionally misleading and meant to disparage our best candidates, or if he’s just totally clueless.

apacalyps on January 22, 2008 at 10:37 PM

You can keep it short.

Buy Danish on January 22, 2008 at 11:00 PM

Do you people take stupid pills?

apacalyps on January 22, 2008 at 10:37 PM

I would, but you seem to have swallowed them all.

EyeSurgeon on January 22, 2008 at 11:03 PM

I’m getting the sense that you are a huckabee supporter.

peacenprosperity on January 22, 2008 at 10:55 PM

You darn right I am. Who do you support? OH, if you have the capacity to learn from your mistakes, and you will learn a lot today.

apacalyps on January 22, 2008 at 11:05 PM

I would, but you seem to have swallowed them all.

EyeSurgeon on January 22, 2008 at 11:03 PM

Your ridiculous little opinion has been noted.

apacalyps on January 22, 2008 at 11:05 PM

Fred’s out. That leaves Huck and Ron Paul. Which one of them can beat Hillary and why? You can keep it short.

Buy Danish on January 22, 2008 at 11:00 PM

I have laid out the bread and butter things Huck wants to do to better the country:

-Abolish the IRS and institute the Fair Tax.
-Failing that, he wants to cut taxes and cut spending.
-He has taken the no new tax pledge.
-He wants to stay in Iraq until the job is done and we are successful.
-He wants to stay on offense on the war on terror.
-He is committed to eliminating Iran nuclear weapons.
-He wants to protect the sanctity of unborn life.
-He wants to protect traditional marriage.
-He has introduced a plan to secure the border without amnesty.
-He wants to change th health care system to a more preventive focused one and opposes government controlled universal health care.

apacalyps on January 22, 2008 at 11:08 PM

/shrug

TCJ on January 22, 2008 at 10:58 PM

Sure if you’re a public company and the Saudi nazi terrorists bought 20% of your company, you’d be doing exactly what they tell you too!

Imagine…they could sell 20% of your company at rock bottom prices and force you to lose billions overnight!

What do they care? They get all of their money from oil that happens top be under their ground.

HaraldHardrada on January 22, 2008 at 11:16 PM

apacalyps on January 22, 2008 at 10:46 PM

LOL, Someone call the WAAAAAMBULANCE

He doesnt need to attack someone whose already been destroyed, and has absolutely ZERO chance at the Presidency or VP slot.. Its over lemmings, OVER!

LOLOLOLOL

stlpatriot on January 22, 2008 at 11:19 PM

If the Democrats get into power, if Hillary Clinton is the next President, it will be the end of America. I’m not kidding. Russia, China, the jihadists, all of them will take advantage of the Democrats insanity and stupid belief that all you need to do is hug the enemy and make friends with them and everything will be okay. They will lie to us and plot behind our backs. It’s insanity to elect Hillary. Are you nuts???

apacalyps on January 22, 2008 at 11:20 PM

thanks fred…you amnesty loving lazy fraud.

Look for your buddy Mccain to fall within a few days.

HaraldHardrada on January 22, 2008 at 11:21 PM

Very true. I used to like Fox news and supported them, but after what I’ve seen this 2008 election anybody would be a fool to think they don’t have an agenda as opposed to reporting the news accurately. As a consumer of conservative media I find this infuriating. There are a number of pundits, bloggers, reporters, and radio hosts that I will never trust again to be “fair and balanced.”

apacalyps on January 22, 2008 at 11:23 PM

Mike Huckabee is going to win florida and the nomination!

HaraldHardrada on January 22, 2008 at 11:21 PM

Dude. It’s over for you, too.

React. Accept. Carry on.

yo on January 22, 2008 at 11:24 PM

thanks fred
HaraldHardrada on January 22, 2008 at 11:21 PM

OMG, we need ANOTHER WAAAMBULANCE….

stlpatriot on January 22, 2008 at 11:24 PM

The one bit of solace I can take from Fred’s exit is that he took Huckabee down with him. He effectively ended his candidacy in under 2 minutes in the SC debate.

Thank you Fred Dalton Thompson for saving us from that buffoon!

SimplyKimberly on January 22, 2008 at 11:28 PM

Again, I will never vote huck, and i’ll do anything i can to keep him from getting the nomination…

He’s a fraud
He’s a liar
He’s a cheat
He’s destroying the party as a whole, and you are its fuel..

don’t reply to me again (apacalyps), you disgust me…

stlpatriot on January 18, 2008 at 11:23 PM

Your own words, stlpatronizer. Since your request (which was totally bogus) I have not replied to any of your posts. Why do you reply to mine????

apacalyps on January 22, 2008 at 11:29 PM

Thank you Fred Dalton Thompson for saving us from that buffoon!

SimplyKimberly on January 22, 2008 at 11:28 PM

true dat..

stlpatriot on January 22, 2008 at 11:32 PM

Mike Huckabee is going to win florida and the nomination!

HaraldHardrada on January 22, 2008 at 11:21 PM

Dude. It’s over for you, too.

React. Accept. Carry on.

yo on January 22, 2008 at 11:24 PM

And, here’s your reward HH

“I will give him just six feet of English soil; or, since they say he is a tall man, I will give him seven feet!”

Entelechy on January 22, 2008 at 11:32 PM

I didn’t support Fred from the beginning because he had a pathetic record as a senator and lobbyist. Plus, he doesn’t support this human life amendment that is part of the GOP platform. (nor does John McCain). But, alot fo you people here did – and he was for abortion at the state level. Unbelievable!

And now MCCain is out front! Have you people lost your minds!!! The very liberal John McCain spent 27 years in both houses of Congress as one of the leaders of the failed Washington establishment. During those 27 years, McCain never did anything to make America energy independent. In fact, he voted for energy bills that INCREASED our deadly addiction to foreign oil.

apacalyps on January 22, 2008 at 11:34 PM

apacalyps on January 22, 2008 at 11:08 PM

You’ve given me some of his platform, much of which is no different from the other candidates (except for the Fair Tax). You still haven’t told me why you think Huck can beat Hillary.

Gotta run, but I’ll check in in the morning to see if you’ve got more to say on that.

Full disclousure: I take the opposite view and think Huck (or Ron Paul) would be like chum in the water for the Dems.

Buy Danish on January 22, 2008 at 11:35 PM

Good grief. They still have HDS. What is HDS? Why, Huckabee Derangement Syndrome, of course. LOL.

apacalyps on January 22, 2008 at 11:36 PM

Thank you Fred Dalton Thompson for saving us from that buffoon!

SimplyKimberly on January 22, 2008 at 11:28 PM

You said a mouthful. And true.

wccawa on January 22, 2008 at 11:37 PM

Now that Fred is dead and buried…Mike Huckabee is going to win florida and the nomination!- HaraldHardrada on January 22, 2008 at 11:21 PM

Heh…keep living the dream, Harry. The days of Chef Squirrel-ar-dee as a viable candidate are drawing to a close. If he has any class he will bow out gracefully as did the Fred and decline to endorse anyone.

But he has no class. He is a phony, two-bit, carnival barker…an aw-shucks, gee-whiz, pseudo-country boy in a flashy suit…a flannel mouth, gee-tar pluckin’ bullshi** artist…a sanctimonious, poor man’s William Jennings Bryan who is little more than Jimmy Carter with an “R” after his name. The fact that he left his spiritual calling as a minister to run for political office tells me everything I need to know about this pietistic humbug.

There is a special place in political hell for Pastor Mike and the flames are being stoked as I write this. If the folks at Hot Air enjoy any kind of good fortune, you will opt to join him.

NemoParticularis on January 22, 2008 at 11:39 PM

Entelechy on January 22, 2008 at 11:32 PM

“King Harald then was in a rage, and ran out in front of the array, and hewed down with both hands; so that neither helmet nor armour could withstand him, and all who were nearest gave way before him. It was then very near with the English that they had taken to flight.

Harald was said to have raged like a beserker until he, too, was killed by an arrow in the throat”.

HaraldHardrada on January 22, 2008 at 11:42 PM

Of course it was a hit piece. This story appeared off in the Internet netherlands a couple of months ago as a “theory” about why Fox was ignoring/bashing Thompson. Cameron salivated at the thought of revenge. A few flunkies who picked up on the original story/theory pushed it here, at FR, Redstate, wherever they could. It’s been all over the net for 2 months.

By the way, if you take the time to parse what Cameron said, it’s very probable that he spun his story to make it sound like Fred deliberately went after the number 2 spot, when in all probability, he was simply nervous about entering with so little recent political exposure.

The one thing that’s never really come out, other than more theories about Jeri conflicts is why Jim was let go. The real story probably never will come out.

Whatever the case, I am back to the same draggie scenario as in ’04.

Connie on January 22, 2008 at 11:46 PM

NemoParticularis on January 22, 2008 at 11:39 PM

… last one out, turn off the lights.

The hunt for the best anti-Huck comment has now concluded.

You don’t have to go home, but you can’t stay here. Tip your waitress … g’night!

yo on January 22, 2008 at 11:50 PM

apacalyps on January 22, 2008 at 11:29 PM

should i call another WAAAMBULANCE?

You are laughed at here, from what i’ve seen by many… Mainly because of the constant bigotry for the last 2 weeks… Just think if you would have been the least bit civil, many more people may have acually listened to your calling…
instead, you’ve pushed people here even further from Huckabee, (not that anyone would have liked that pandering fool anyway)..

You planted the seeds, deal with it… I could care less at this point if you reply to me. It doesnt matter, because you mean nothing, NADA, ZERO… I’ll only reply when i feel the need to laugh at you again, and, once the final nail is hammered in shmucks coffin…

You and your partner in crime (HARALDHARHARHAHR), have done nothing here to improve our view of Huckabee.. For many here, you sealed his fate…

You’ll learn someday young padawan….. Until then, stop the bigotry, it’ll do you wonders….

stlpatriot on January 23, 2008 at 12:00 AM

Opinionnation on January 22, 2008 at 10:02 PM

Fred Thompson is no George Bush; Fred would have to descend a bit to become like him.

Let’s see if you can guess which POTUS candidate said the following:

-First, the role of the federal government is limited to the powers given to it in the Constitution
-Second, a dollar belongs in the pocket of the person who earns it, unless the government has a compelling reason why it can use it better
-Third, we don’t spend money we don’t have, or borrow money that our children and grandchildren will have to pay back
-And the best way to avoid war is to be stronger than our enemies. But if we’re caught in a fight, we need to win it because not doing so makes us much more likely to be attacked in the future
-Also the federal judiciary is supposed to decide cases, not set social policy — and bad social policy at that
-And the bigger the government gets, the less competent it is to run our lives.

I’ve give you a hint: It wasn’t any of the unprincipled RINOs that remain in the GOP race for POTUS.

Huckabee: NO
McCain: NO
RonPaul: NO
Romney: will hold nose, but will vote for him

electric-rascal on January 23, 2008 at 12:06 AM

PART 1

Buy Danish on January 22, 2008 at 11:35 PM

First off, I’ll preface by saying people dishonestly criticize Huckabee, distort what he says, believes his record and his positions and then slander him, call his supporters names and then turn around and accuse me of attacking them. That’s what I have a problem with. The people who offer reasonable and even sharp criticism of Huckabee and can debate respectfully and civilly, I have no problem with. In the last couple months, I have seen a viciousness directed at Huckabee similar to what I generally see directed at President Bush by the Democrats on this forum. They don’t just that they disagree with him, but that he has a “blackness in his soul” or that he is evil or some such thing.

apacalyps on January 23, 2008 at 12:14 AM

PART 2

Buy Danish on January 22, 2008 at 11:35 PM

Mike Huckabee is a man who rose from meager means to a governor ranked as the one of the best in the nation. As a long time pastor, Huckabee saw every type of suffering and personal crisis imaginable. He understands people and knows what the average person goes through and needs. As Governor, he helped move Arkansas into the 21st Century, revitalizing it’s infrastructure, highways, parks, education system, health care system and prison system. Arkansas is a far less backward state thanks to Governor Huckabee. he had to do difficult things, compromise, and innovate to be a good governor. Many of those things have left him open to criticism. But governing isn’t about soundbytes on issues or appeasing the Wall Street crowd/Hedge Fund crowd, it’s about what works..

apacalyps on January 23, 2008 at 12:14 AM

PART 3

Buy Danish on January 22, 2008 at 11:35 PM

Like I said, I have yet to see reasonable criticism of Huck’s foreign policy on this forum

I have yet to hear an honest critique here of Huckabee foreign policy. That is, a critique that addresses what he actually says and rebuts it as opposed to cherry picking portions, distorting them and then calling him Jimmy Carter or naive. I have seen no one offer evidence for this slander.

-Huckabee advocates increasing the size of the military.
-Supports winning in Iraq and supported the surge. Says we shoudl stay until we win.
-Has essentially the same policy as the Bush Administration on Iran.
-Understands that this is a war for our survival against Islamo-fascism.

I can back up every one of those items. Honestly people, it’s like debating Democrats here these days.

apacalyps on January 23, 2008 at 12:15 AM

it’s easy to say anything

Opinionnation on January 23, 2008 at 12:15 AM

PART 4

Buy Danish on January 22, 2008 at 11:35 PM

I’m sure true Republicans and true conservatives want to prevent the very liberal John McCain from winning the Republican nomination, God forbid. After all, McCain was one of only two Republican senators to vote against the Bush tax cuts. And McCain’s best friend in the Senate is Ted Kennedy, with whom he sponsored the infamous McCain-Kennedy amnesty bill on illegal aliens.

There is no douby the best hope for stopping Nurse Ratchet in the general election is Governor Mike Huckabee. Governor Huckabee is the best speaker and the most charismatic of the Republican candidates. He has a Reaganesque ability to communicate. Huckabee is the one candidate that can kick Demofascist butt and lead our nation out of the tailspin that currently threatens to destroy it.

He would destroy Hillary in a the one-on-one debates. She is so boring to listen to, she speaks AT people and not with them. Huck would shine big-time. Besides, he has beaten the Clinton machine. He didn’t just win once, not twice, not three times but four times in a statewide election against the Clinton political machine. Bill Clinton and Hillary Clinton campaigned against him every time he ever ran and he won.

apacalyps on January 23, 2008 at 12:15 AM

PART 5

Buy Danish on January 22, 2008 at 11:35 PM

In ending, the leftist media knows that if McCain were the Republican nominee, millions of Republicans and conservatives will not vote for McCain in November UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. McCain will lose a huge portion of the Republican and conservative base. THAT WILL DOOM HIS CANDIDACY TO DEFEAT. A vote for McCain or any of the other candidates is national suicide, and that’s no exaggeration, we will live to regret it. Huckabee is the only guy that can rally broad support and win it for us. Thank you. End.

apacalyps on January 23, 2008 at 12:16 AM

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I am starting to feel just a little used by the man.

I still like Fred, but, dayem, this whole thing is beginning to acquire a bit of a mild stench.

Say it ain’t so, Fred!

Dave R. on January 23, 2008 at 12:22 AM

“Double-talking huckster” is an apt description, I think. Much like another man from Hope.

Ranked by whom?

I think Angeline Jolie has seen more suffering and crisis than Huck has, and I don’t want her in the White House either. That statement is a failure of imagination.

He understands people and knows what the average person goes through and needs.

Except that he forgets that “the guy who laid you off” is the guy who gave you a job in the first place. Unless you aren’t laid off because then he’s the guy who writes your paycheck. The average person needs that.

Pablo on January 23, 2008 at 12:29 AM

apacalyps on January 22, 2008 at 11:34 PM

The Facts

“Mike Huckabee: “It would please me because I think Roe v. Wade is based on a real stretch of Constitutional application — that somehow there is a greater privacy issue in the abortion concern — than there is a human life issue — and that the federal government should be making that decision as opposed to states making that decision.

So, I’ve never felt that it was a legitimate manner in which to address this and, first of all, it should be left to the states, the 10th Amendment, but secondly, to somehow believe that the taking of an innocent, unborn human life is about privacy and not about that unborn life is ludicrous.”

Connie on January 23, 2008 at 12:29 AM

Watch this please. This is NOT me in the video, but this guy makes alot of sense!!

McCain’s Amnesty Bill Will Destroy America

apacalyps on January 23, 2008 at 12:30 AM

apacalyps on January 23, 2008 at 12:15 AM

I can’t vote for a guy I wouldn’t let in my front door.

Jim Jones was charismatic too.

Connie on January 23, 2008 at 12:35 AM

apacalyps on January 23, 2008 at 12:16 AM

omg, dude! You’re like .., Bob Sagget funny.

After getting through your rosey-eyed, Stan Lee-worthy, origin of the Incredible Huck, I didn’t think it could get any better.

You proved me wrong. That last bit was priceless.

*whew*

yo on January 23, 2008 at 12:36 AM

Jack M. comes through again. Thanks for the update. Curiouser and curiouser.

Spirit of 1776 on January 23, 2008 at 12:37 AM

Pablo on January 23, 2008 at 12:29 AM

Pablo, with all due respect my friend, you are witty, yes sir, but humour doesn’t negate the fact that everything I said about Huckabee is true. Everyone knows by listening to Mike speak there is something genuine and special about the man. People ignore this Americans gifts to the detriment of the nation.

apacalyps on January 23, 2008 at 12:38 AM

Nor does Mike’s humour negate Mike’s record. He has tremendous talents, but they are of the telegenic type. He has been trained to lead people to common conclusions from the pulpit, or microphone if you think that’s inflammatory. Mike Huckabee is a media star. That doesn’t make him a good man nor does it mean he would be a good president. Of course, this argument no longer is relevant because his candidacy in 08 is ostensibly over.

Spirit of 1776 on January 23, 2008 at 12:43 AM

Connie on January 23, 2008 at 12:29 AM

Nice try Connie.

Huckabee rejects letting states decide whether to allow abortions, claiming the right to life is a moral issue not subject to multiple interpretations.

“It’s the logic of the Civil War,” Huckabee said Sunday, comparing abortion rights to slavery. “If morality is the point here, and if it’s right or wrong, not just a political question, then you can’t have 50 different versions of what’s right and what’s wrong.”

Huck Rejects Letting States Decide Whether to Allow Abortions

apacalyps on January 23, 2008 at 12:43 AM

I can’t vote for a guy (Huckabee) I wouldn’t let in my front door.

Jim Jones was charismatic too.

Connie on January 23, 2008 at 12:35 AM

You’re ridiculous. This comparison is offensive!

apacalyps on January 23, 2008 at 12:44 AM

yo on January 23, 2008 at 12:36 AM

Thanks yo yo.

apacalyps on January 23, 2008 at 12:46 AM

Apacalyps:

That’s Chaim Ben Pesach of JTF..They make the best videos on youtube.

HaraldHardrada on January 23, 2008 at 12:50 AM

A good sum of money sent in to support his SC campaign and an earnest offer of my time to help get the word out for his campaign in here in Florida, all wasted for a complete slacker.
With Fred I think of Larry Holmes’s comment: “Rocky Marciano couldn’t wear my jock strap.” Well, Fred, as it stands, you couldn’t wear Barrack Obama’s jock strap (or Hillary’s, for that matter).

I’m voting Romney (feeling sick in the stomach) simply because he appears to be the lesser of all evils, and possibly for fear of a reenactment of the Reichstag by the liberal facists Dhimmis.

White, male, Christian, GWOT veteran, and scared as all hell for my personal privacy…

/rant

Gunny on January 23, 2008 at 12:50 AM

I feel sorry for you guy’s. So far your strategy has John McCain as the frontrunner. This is crazy. You’re destroying your own nation and have no clue you’re doing it.

Gotta go. Ciao.

apacalyps on January 23, 2008 at 12:51 AM

You’re right Mike Huckabee is the only candidate who can easily defeat Hildebeast.

I don’t know why some people here don’t understand that yet.

HaraldHardrada on January 23, 2008 at 12:53 AM

HaraldHardrada on January 23, 2008 at 12:50 AM

P.S. Lastly,

Yeah, I know HaraldHardrada. I don’t agree with every last thing he says, but more people should hear his message. Ciao.

apacalyps on January 23, 2008 at 12:55 AM

You must be relieved that you still have a stick to poke Fred and his supportes with.
TBinSTL on January 22, 2008 at 7:00 PM

You guys bring it on yourselves. He isn’t a candidate. Fred shouldn’t have any supporters.

csdeven on January 23, 2008 at 12:56 AM

In 1995 Huckabee said this on abortion:

The issue divides strongly committed pro-life and pro-choice Republicans but is not a central issue to most other Republicans. A possible platform revision long under discussion would say the Republican Party, ‘unlike the Democratic Party, does not stand for abortion on demand and is basically a pro-life party.’ In the spirit of federalism, the proposed GOP revision also would replace the abortion amendment with a statement saying the issue should be left up to the individual state legislatures to deal with as each sees fit. ‘That’s exactly what we have looked for, and if it’s left up to the states, more of them are going to put some restrictions on abortion,’ Arkansas Lt. Gov. Mike Huckabee said in an interview after appearing on a conference panel yesterday.

Ralph Z. Hallow, “Conservatives Hold Fire On Abortion,” Washington Times, 2/12/95)”

The Huckster now has the unmitigated gall to castigate Fred and others for holding the position he recommended in 1995. He can flip and flip with the best of ‘em.

flyfisher on January 23, 2008 at 12:58 AM

apacalyps on January 23, 2008 at 12:38 AM

Clearly, my friend, everyone knows no such thing. Were that the case, he’d be leading the pack by a mile and not on the brink of campaign collapse.

Pablo on January 23, 2008 at 1:03 AM

Huck never castigated fred because of his federalist stance…but because fred is a lying fraud who was a lobbyist for pro abortion groups!

HaraldHardrada on January 23, 2008 at 1:03 AM

HaraldHardrada on January 23, 2008 at 1:03 AM

I can’t believe I am wasting my time arguing over this. But I have to call B.S. You either do not know what you are talking about or you are a serious prevaricator (liar). Watch this

interview with Chris Wallace and you will see and hear him for yourself as he self-righteously lectures Thompson and others for holding the same position he once held. And consider this summary (of the Wallace interview) from Redstate:

…in an attempt to distinguish himself from the other candidates, he said he’s never changed his position, that a federalist position was “not good enough” and on moral issues you can’t have 50 versions of right and wrong. He is openly critical and amazed that Thompson does not support a human life amendment because it had been part of the Republican platform since 1980. He never mentions that up until last year, he held the same position or that he once sought to change the party platform in to reflect a state’s rights position.

There are too many sources for Mike’s past support for a federalist approach on abortion. Perhaps he would have also supported a human life amendment, I am sure he would have, but he has clearly modified his position to an all-or-nothing hardline approach for this campaign.

flyfisher on January 23, 2008 at 1:18 AM

AP, if you knew the truth, where would you go with it? I already told you that this story appeared over two months ago. (I’m so sorry I didn’t bring it to your attention). And yes, I fully believe Cameron did not sit on the story as he claimed. You didn’t see the bias because you didn’t want to. It pretty much dripped from just about everyone at Fox. And even if Cameron didn’t say anything, it didn’t have to be him – could have been someone else. But Cameron knew. He has fun playing the political game. Cat and mouse stuff and he likes to pounce. He wouldn’t be doing what he’s doing if he didn’t.

Just because he gave Fred a chance to slap at Huck at the debate means nothing.

It doesn’t really change anything – unless you’re a big Cameron fan, I guess. You’re never going to get the true story anyway. “These people” will back up “this one” and “those people” will back up the other one.

But if good old Cameron invites you out for a beer, I’d let half of what he says go in one ear and out the other. Kind of like I do with my mother-in-law (except over coffee, of course).

Sometimes mysteries are just not worth solving.

Connie on January 23, 2008 at 1:22 AM

flyfisher on January 23, 2008 at 1:18 AM

Thank you.

Connie on January 23, 2008 at 1:31 AM

Jimmy Carter… I mean Mike Huckabee is a trainwreck waiting to happen. Malaise NEVER. Mitt Romney is the last logical choice. I just wish I didn’t waste money on freddy the lame.

Go Mitt GO!!

HotAirExpert on January 23, 2008 at 1:41 AM

Let’s see….decisions, decisions.

Pick one of two fairly liberal republicans, or some Evangelical Fascist steeped in the same underhanded, deceitful pandering tactics of BillyBub and Hitlery.

What a decision to have to make.

America is designed to not have government dictate religious preference, instead letting the people choose their own exercise of faith. “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof”. Meaning, “neither shall the president since congress has to submit a bill and can override a presidential veto”.

Hucka-bee-nejad plays too fast and loose with not only the truth, but even with the Constitution.

Evengelicals who think Huck is a true conservative are utterly blinded to his liberal-leaning record by the light of their faith. A faith which is supposed to be theirs to choose of their own accord, NOT ram down the throats of all other Americans. I am NOT against faith, but believe it belongs in its proper domain.

I’m convinced Huckabee supporters have their priorities utterly and irrevocably backwards. It’s not worth our time to argue with them. They don’t see the world the same way.

Huckabee’s campaign behavior, wearing the clothing of a christian yet time and again engaging in underhanded tactics Jesus would never engage in, is beyond disengenuous and reaches into deep, deep deceit and blatant pandering. My gut tells me he is simply NOT to be trusted.

I’m not going to argue with Harald or Apacalyps or any other Schmuckabee-nejad supporter. There’s no common ground for discussion. At this rate, no “true conservatives” are left in the campaign.

Time to look for a job in an unimportant place like New Zealand where nothing of importance ever happens, but at least they’re not likely to get nuked.

Shirotayama on January 23, 2008 at 1:53 AM

So the way I’m seeing it when Fred let Cameron’s buddy go the two of them might have cooked up some kind of story about how Fred wanted the VP spot more then the whole enchilada. Pass that around the Fox news room and apathy towards Fred builds. Once Fred complains a bit they throw him a bone durring a debate.

Couple that with Fred’s “late (not planning in 1998 for a run like McCain) entry” and you have the last of the Reagan conservatives unprepared for 21st century political theater of battle.

I could be wrong, but this is the gut fealing I get as the info has come in.

liquidflorian on January 23, 2008 at 2:41 AM