Now it can be told: Carl Cameron says he knew all along that Fred was only in it for the VP nomination; Update: Hit piece? Update: What did Fox know and when did they know it?

posted at 5:56 pm on January 22, 2008 by Allahpundit

Too bad to check, although it’d certainly explain his half-hearted campaigning. He wanted to be VP, was surprised to find major buzz behind a presidential run, took a stab at it to see if he could convert the buzz into votes, and then predictably flamed out when he half-assed it.

Update: Excruciating: “I sent off a resume to the campaign in, oh, seems like about May, and never heard from them.”

Update: A reader e-mails to remind us (snidely) that Cameron’s been hammering Fred ever since his pal Jim Mills was hired away from FNC by the campaign and then summarily fired a few weeks later, leaving him high and dry. I’ve noted that intriguing background detail myself in previous posts. I don’t know anything about Cameron to make me think he’d be so vindictive as to invent details to smear a disfavored subject, but there’s your grain of salt.

Update: Jack M. tells Ace that he heard the same rumors about Fred sniffing around for a VP nomination back when Cameron claims to have heard them, from which Ace mines this quandary:

Carl Cameron most likely let his fellow Foxies in on the Big Secret he was keeping confidential. This almost certainly distorted FoxNews’ coverage of Fred Thompson, which was strangely antipathetic towards him. Fred complained that he wasn’t getting much play at Fox, and there does seem to be some evidence for that.

Fred Thompson should have enjoyed a fairly warm reception at conservative-leaning, Reagan-revering Fox — and yet he seems not to. Why? Well, perhaps because Fox was acting as if Cameron’s scoop were true… while not telling their audience the reasons for their behavior.

Which leads to serious questions. If FoxNews was sitting on an undisclosed scoop they could not reveal due to oaths of secrecy, should they then behave according to that knowledge?

Did they behave according to that knowledge? I’m skeptical; the alleged FNC bias against Fred has always seemed dubious to me. Remember too who sponsored the debate at which Fred was given his big chance to hammer Huckabee and which correspondent it was who granted him that time.

Update: Another point and a question. If the rumors even trickled down to congressional staffers like Jack then surely Cameron wasn’t the only member of the media to hear of them. There’s no reason to think they colored FNC’s coverage any more than any other net’s (unless you buy the revenge-for-Mills theory). But in that case, why is today the first we’re hearing of this? Cameron says he was sworn to secrecy but surely not everyone who got wind of it, like Jack, had made promises to his source. And it’s juicy enough — not scandal-juicy but intrigue-juicy — to make it worth the while of some reporter hunting for scoops to have dug around and tossed it out there during the campaign. The fact that no one did makes me think it’s paper-thin.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

McCain’s number two? Really?

Frozen Tex on January 22, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Fred said he doesn’t want VP. We will see.

Jay on January 22, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Probably. But being a close friend of John McCain’s why go through the motions? Why not just endorse him from the get go.

bnelson44 on January 22, 2008 at 5:58 PM

You’re evil, AP, but given the rapid migration of FredHeads to Mitt, it looks like Fred’s under the bus and dragging.

Vizzini on January 22, 2008 at 5:58 PM

These actor-folks sure know how to work publicity, if it’s true.

emailnuevo on January 22, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Fred’s gonna put on his cowboy hat, climb into the red pickup with Jeri, and ride off into the sunset. Other stuff pays a lot better.

a capella on January 22, 2008 at 5:59 PM

McCain’s number two? Really?

Frozen Tex on January 22, 2008 at 5:58 PM

He and McCain are very good friends.

bnelson44 on January 22, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Too cynical.

Wanting to be VP, campaigning for VP, auditioning for VP, lobbying for VP never works.

rockhauler on January 22, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Fred’s campain chief said yesterday “Fred would make a great VP”

KBird on January 22, 2008 at 6:01 PM

McCain’s number two? Really?

Frozen Tex on January 22, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Sure. They’re good friends, he hardly went after McCain, and they worked together in the Senate (McCain-Feingold, etc).

amerpundit on January 22, 2008 at 6:02 PM

The way he was pumping McCain, I could believe it. Too bad for Fred that McCain will not be the nominee.

Valiant on January 22, 2008 at 6:04 PM

So did he half ass it so as not to steal votes from McCain?

Dash on January 22, 2008 at 6:04 PM

bnelson44 on January 22, 2008 at 5:59 PM

amerpundit on January 22, 2008 at 6:02 PM

Oh, okay then.

Frozen Tex on January 22, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Fred a traitor to conservatives? Say it ain’t so!

Fred head explosion watch 2008.

Nessuno on January 22, 2008 at 6:06 PM

Well, if he does it, I won’t feel bad at all about him having to drop out. I don’t think it will help McCain much and it sure would shatter the Fred! image. Might even have a backlash surge effect for the other two candidates.

a capella on January 22, 2008 at 6:08 PM

Fred has repeatedly said he does NOT want the VP slot. The one thing about the man, is he has been consistent in following through on such statements. If he takes the VP slot from anybody, it would be a major disappointment. If nothing else, Fred is not the kind of help either McCain or Romney needs. Since this is the Year of the Pander, Steele would be most suitable to McCain and Kay Bailey Hutchinson would be a good fit for Romney. I don’t think either will help; the GOP is toast in November.

Fred will ride off into the sunset, sadly, and make bunches of money at something.

michaelo on January 22, 2008 at 6:08 PM

Pretty lousy if this is true. I have no interest in a McCain/Thompson ticket.

katieanne on January 22, 2008 at 6:09 PM

if Romney gets the nod, i think he’ll need well-liked, well-known southerner (or at least southern-appealing), preferably with some national security experience.

who fits? Thompson, for one. Pence? Cornyn?

locke on January 22, 2008 at 6:10 PM

Well, a ticket with Thompson as VP would make me a little happier. Fred’s said that’s not on his agenda, but guess we’ll have to wait and see.

TeeDee on January 22, 2008 at 6:11 PM

Anyone else feel – used?

nailinmyeye on January 22, 2008 at 6:11 PM

Instinct is to say Cameron’s a knucklehead, as this makes no sense to me. Experience tells me to stfu, since I have clue what goes through Fred’s head.

Jaibones on January 22, 2008 at 6:11 PM

Lord. “no” clue.

Jaibones on January 22, 2008 at 6:11 PM

That’s it. I’m so distraught at having to pick between Romney, McCain or Huckafraud, I’m shifting my support behind RP.

RONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN PAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLL!

None of the other guys have a blimp. And blimps mean votes!

Nethicus on January 22, 2008 at 6:14 PM

Anyone else feel – used?

nailinmyeye on January 22, 2008 at 6:11 PM

I took a bath. Had my .22 pistol with me. Thought about it for awhile. Shed some tears… and then I did what had to be done. I looked at myself in the mirror and I thought about Fred and then I cried and … no I don’t feel used. lol

CABE on January 22, 2008 at 6:14 PM

None of the other guys have a blimp. And blimps mean votes!

Nethicus on January 22, 2008 at 6:14 PM

What ever happened to the blimp? I haven’t heard anything about it lately.

bnelson44 on January 22, 2008 at 6:14 PM

I’m sorry… that’s a dumbass plan…. invariably, the VP pick is someone who brings something additional to the ticket. Without knowing who is going to be at the top of the ticket, it’s not like you can easily predict what he might need on the ticket to expand the top of the ticket’s appeal.

Canadian Imperialist Running Dog on January 22, 2008 at 6:15 PM

VP is the perfect job for him. Make a few speeches, play attack dog against Dens, punch some hippies and then go home to the wife and kids. Lots of perks, minimum responsibilities. He could work 3-6 hours a day and no one would know the difference.

Could a Fred a the VP candidate with Romney help convince Mitt-doubters to get on board? I’ve heard worse ideas. It’s worth a shot.

Vote Sauron 08 on January 22, 2008 at 6:16 PM

I’m sorry… that’s a dumbass plan….

My impression is that it wasn’t a “plan,” it was Fred using FNC to raise his profile and then, after conservatives responded so enthusiastically, he transitioned from thinking about VP to the presidency. Except he was never quite serious or competent enough to run a campaign.

Allahpundit on January 22, 2008 at 6:16 PM

Carl Cameron ain’t too bright He has shown no ability to understand the complexities of politics and just believes what he sees on the surface.

I think Carl assumes Fred wanted the VP slot since he never REALLY campaigned for POTUS.

EJDolbow on January 22, 2008 at 6:17 PM

If this is true, I’m glad I didn’t write that check. OMG!

SouthernGent on January 22, 2008 at 6:17 PM

It not like candidates havent been stalking horses before for other candidates.

I think a McCain/ Thompson ticket would be great. McCain is a one termer and picking fred for #2 leaves a big conservatice legacy.

William Amos on January 22, 2008 at 6:17 PM

How long have I been saying this?

I bet you feel stupid that you didn’t listen to me!

HaraldHardrada on January 22, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Campaign Carl is a chicken-neck. I don’t watch Fox anymore either. Voting with my clicker feels pretty good sometimes.

VolMagic on January 22, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Canadian Imperialist Running Dog on January 22, 2008 at 6:15 PM

Umm…. all the VP choices I know about in my lifetime were picked by the nominee and most of them were choisen because the VP nominee brought in votes from states they couldn’t carry.

John Kennedy hated LBJ, and visa versa, but Kennedy choise LBJ because he needed the south.

Thompson has a good chance of being choisen by Rudy, Mitt or McCain as a VP because:

1) He brings in conservatives
2) He brings in Southerners

bnelson44 on January 22, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Nah, do you think? That couldn’t be possible. It’s not like Fred is some sorta liberal opportunist like all them folks in hollywo… Wait. No. Sorry. I didn’t say anythang.

DMeNTe on January 22, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Why is the “Clinton falling asleep” thing not a much bigger deal? I mean, I know the liberal MSM would like to pump it if it were Repub, and bury it when it’s a Dem… but the media is in love with Obama right now, and has actually been hitting the Clintons here and there. Why am I not even seeing mention of it on Fox News (except for the end of Hannity & Colmes last night, and they didn’t even show the entire thing… they left out the part where his elbow totally slips off the armrest). Seriously, I can’t believe even Fox isn’t milking this one… what happened?

RightWinged on January 22, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Wow, See-Dub. Too bad your talent got squandered. I reckon they get deluged with resumes, but still.

RushBaby on January 22, 2008 at 6:21 PM

HaraldHardrada on January 22, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Well shoot, why don’t you have your own t.v. show?

VolMagic on January 22, 2008 at 6:21 PM

Allahpundit on January 22, 2008 at 6:16 PM

Seems like it.

bnelson44 on January 22, 2008 at 6:21 PM

1) He brings in 16% of conservatives
2) He brings in 16% of Southerners

bnelson44 on January 22, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Fixed

HaraldHardrada on January 22, 2008 at 6:23 PM

1) He brings in 16% of conservatives
2) He brings in 16% of Southerners

HaraldHardrada on January 22, 2008 at 6:23 PM

More than that since there won’t be any other Republicans running.

bnelson44 on January 22, 2008 at 6:25 PM

Fred was only it for the VP nomination

I’d be surprised that if Fred wasn’t willing to work his heart out for his own campaign that Mitt would want him to do half-assed work for his.

Rudy would look for someone to agree with him and thats not Fred, McCain would hire someone worse than him and Fred probably couldn’t handle a close relationship with Huck.

McCain might feel some loyalty to Fred but McCain has to realize they’d be at each others throats and he for sure doesn’t want anyone who might be considered a good replacement.

Speakup on January 22, 2008 at 6:28 PM

It would make sense, in a way. He could run to the right to split the very conservative part of the GOP electorate, and then use that cred to boost McCain’s stature among those same voters once he got chosen as the running mate. If that were the case, though, why not stick it out until after Florida?

Big S on January 22, 2008 at 6:29 PM

VolMagic on January 22, 2008 at 6:21 PM

[PUNCH!]

Don’t feed the troll!

aero on January 22, 2008 at 6:30 PM

William Amos on January 22, 2008 at 6:17 PM

Not enough old geezers with cancer issues on that ticket for my tastes.

Buddahpundit on January 22, 2008 at 6:31 PM

I can’t see him shilling for McVain as veep… and if he does, I will lose an unbelievable amount of respect for the man. He just seems like too solid and consistent a conservative to fall into that kind of a power play. Would love it if Mitt (or Rudy, though his chances are dwindling by the second) brought him onboard though. Those two seem well matched.

Fredheads unite for Romney/Thompson!

Jockolantern on January 22, 2008 at 6:32 PM

Speakup on January 22, 2008 at 6:28 PM

Mitt will need someone to bring in the bible belt vote. He can’t win without it.

bnelson44 on January 22, 2008 at 6:35 PM

Sorry FredHeads, but it only makes sense. This guy did not WANT it in the way a President must want it. He had a certain amount of gravitas as a result of his acting roles, and he has a good head on his shoulders, but only his silhouette was a candidate for Leader of the Free World.

Unfortunately, Rudi must have hired some of Fred’s strategists; he wins the award for best self-imposed irrelevence in a role intended to generate momentum in a field of career non-starters

Fred & Rudi opened the door for Huck & McFinn.

GO MITT GO !!!

singlemalt_18 on January 22, 2008 at 6:35 PM

This just makes zero sense.

If this were true then why get out now? The longer he stays in the more he secures the candidacy for McCain. By getting in, now those votes are going to his opponents, and even if he is broke so what?

As far as conspiracy theories go, this could floated out by the campaign so in retrospect there is an “excuse” for the lack of a big bang start up campaign in case he wants to run again in 2012.

broker1 on January 22, 2008 at 6:36 PM

bnelson44 on January 22, 2008 at 6:20 PM

I ask, because I can not remember, did any of your examples campaign for the office of president in competition with the eventual nominee?

Or did your examples work as warm up speakers, party loyalists, campaigning for other candidates?

As I remember it, the VP slot goes to a party ‘back bencher’ who works on behalf of the party, and other candidates, as a reward for being a party loyalist. I don’t ever remember it being used to co opt a competitor.

rockhauler on January 22, 2008 at 6:36 PM

Fred’s campaign’s purpose was to take up a slot that a conservative would take…and then take out Huckabee the only other conservative!

Fred Thompson’s only goal was to completely guarantee that no conservative candidate emerges to defeat McShame.

Don’t believe it? Look at the results. Brownback. out
Tancredo. out Duncan hunter. out Allen. out Huckabee. almost

Now it is basically between all RINO’s. McShame. Rudy. Romney.

Fred was one of the biggest amnesty proponents out there and fooled all of you fredheads!

HaraldHardrada on January 22, 2008 at 6:36 PM

I would NEVER vote for McCain! No matter who his VP is!

ConservativePartyNow on January 22, 2008 at 6:39 PM

McCain has said that he’s going to appoint judges like Scalia and Roberts, who will overturn Roe vs. Wade and so forth. Well, guess what else? Those same kinds of judges might also overturn McCain-Feingold.

RobertInAustin on January 22, 2008 at 6:42 PM

rockhauler on January 22, 2008 at 6:36 PM

LBJ was a candidate in the primaries with Kennedy.

bnelson44 on January 22, 2008 at 6:42 PM

I don’t see what the big deal is here. If true, he originally was considering making himself attractive as a VP choice, but when strong support for a presidential campaign emerged, he responded and ran. So what?

As has been said before, Fred’s lack of presidential ambitions wasn’t a bug, it was a feature. Unfortunately it also led to a poorly organized campaign.

Hollowpoint on January 22, 2008 at 6:43 PM

Carl Cameron is a pompous a–.

Sir Andrew on January 22, 2008 at 6:44 PM

I would NEVER vote for McCain! No matter who his VP is!

ConservativePartyNow on January 22, 2008 at 6:39 PM

By your sig, your not a Republican either, so your opinion is muted.

bnelson44 on January 22, 2008 at 6:44 PM

Giuliani/Thompson 2008.

I want to win. That’s how you do it.

capitalist piglet on January 22, 2008 at 6:48 PM

Fred would make a poor running mate regardless of who wins the nomination. He has proven to be organizationally challenged.
Michael Steele would work well as a running mate for Mitt. He is a handsome, intelligent, well spoken, and very personable young man.
The only other logical option would be to choose someone from a “player” state like Oh. or Fl. and meets the same high standards shown by Mr. Steele.

leanright on January 22, 2008 at 6:51 PM

Huckabee/Petraus 2008

That’s how you do it!

HaraldHardrada on January 22, 2008 at 6:51 PM

Giuliani/Thompson 2008.

I want to win. That’s how you do it.

capitalist piglet on January 22, 2008 at 6:48 PM

It would be a strong ticket. Especially if terrorism comes back as a real issue.

bnelson44 on January 22, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Huckabee/Petraus 2008

That’s how you do it!

HaraldHardrada on January 22, 2008 at 6:51 PM

Petraus has a job to do in the War on Terror, let’s not befuddle that.

bnelson44 on January 22, 2008 at 6:53 PM

bnelson44 on January 22, 2008 at 6:35 PM

Bringing in the Bible belt is certainly a good move, I just don’t think Fred meshes with Mitt’s work ethic.

Speakup on January 22, 2008 at 6:53 PM

Ever feel like you’ve been cheated?” – Johnny Rotten,
Sex Pistols ~ Last concert 1977

Dorvillian on January 22, 2008 at 6:55 PM

He could make a useful attack dog (which is the traditional role of the VP candidate).

Who?

leanright on January 22, 2008 at 6:51 PM

You want to complement your candidate. For Mitt, for example, who will slide to the left-middle in the general, you would normally choose someone from the South who is strong on immigration, abortion and federalism.

bnelson44 on January 22, 2008 at 6:56 PM

Not being one to leave a perfectly good dead horse unbeaten.

What would you do if Mitt dropped out?

Check this NEW poll out: http://www.thesitrep.com/pres.htm

TheSitRep on January 22, 2008 at 6:56 PM

Hey, if McCain/Thompson makes sense, why not Clinton/Thompson? She could sure use some help with that white middle-aged male vote, and if it’s all the same, why not help the lady who needs it most? She and McCain are very closely ideologically aligned, both are pro-Amnesty and for addressing Global Warming with a lot of $$$, so if a little disagreement over Shamnesty with McCain isn’t a big deal, what’s to stop a Southern Gentleman from helping a nice lady in need? She is just a tad more to the left, but he can help her more, right?

Igor R. on January 22, 2008 at 6:57 PM

Speakup on January 22, 2008 at 6:53 PM

I don’t beleave we have seen any work ethics from Fred. God I love the man, but he really let a lot of people down, including me.

P.S. I went 95% into bonds last Friday, thank you God for an insightfull broker.

leanright on January 22, 2008 at 6:59 PM

What would you do if Mitt dropped out?

Check this NEW poll out: http://www.thesitrep.com/pres.htm

TheSitRep on January 22, 2008 at 6:56 PM

Cry about the lack of any candidate I could support for POTUS.

Mitt is my last grasp at voting for someone I don’t absolutely loathe.

SimplyKimberly on January 22, 2008 at 7:00 PM

You must be relieved that you still have a stick to poke Fred and his supportes with.

TBinSTL on January 22, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Speakup on January 22, 2008 at 6:53 PM

leanright on January 22, 2008 at 6:59 PM

Yeah, it’s that “fire in the belly” thing, isn’t it? I feel your disappointment. And wait a couple of weeks before being thankful for your broker. The fat lady haven’t sung yet.

Igor R. on January 22, 2008 at 7:01 PM

By your sig, your not a Republican either, so your opinion is muted.

bnelson44 on January 22, 2008 at 6:44 PM

Thats McCains feelings about his opponents. Well done.

broker1 on January 22, 2008 at 7:03 PM

bnelson44 on January 22, 2008 at 6:42 PM

Thanks. LBJ didn’t seem to draw many votes though. I guess the idea was he could carry Texas.

Note for AllahPundit: New tag line for HotAir

“Learning takes place here”

rockhauler on January 22, 2008 at 7:03 PM

What would you do if Mitt dropped out?

First off, Mitt won’t be dropping out.

Second Off, this isn’t a poll, you are the only one that voted.

And thirdly, if your plan is to write in Fred, save your time and gas money. Fred is over it, you should be too.

Hope that wasn’t too harsh.

Dorvillian on January 22, 2008 at 7:04 PM

I like Steele and had actually thought he’d make a good VP for Fred! If Fred runs with McCain, I’ll be seriously torqued. I don’t think it’s true… but if so, I want my money back.

BadBrad on January 22, 2008 at 7:04 PM

Thats McCains feelings about his opponents. Well done.

broker1 on January 22, 2008 at 7:03 PM

The best quote I’ve seen today is that McCain has treated the Republican Party as his personal commode.

Igor R. on January 22, 2008 at 7:04 PM

Igor R. on January 22, 2008 at 7:01 PM

C’mon Igor R., all I’m asking for is at least a few day’s of feeling good about things. I’m still liquid and can jump back in at any time.

leanright on January 22, 2008 at 7:06 PM

leanright on January 22, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Just don’t forget that brokers like commissions and stocks like the long term.

Igor R. on January 22, 2008 at 7:10 PM

bnelson44 on January 22, 2008 at 6:56 PM

Agreed, Steele brings most of that to the table.

leanright on January 22, 2008 at 7:10 PM

Thanks.

Your welcome

LBJ didn’t seem to draw many votes though. I guess the idea was he could carry Texas. …

rockhauler on January 22, 2008 at 7:03 PM

Yea, Fred proved he could carry the conservative blogs and talk radio. That would be important for McCain and Rudy (not as much for Mitt). But being a Southern conservative not associated with the rich Southern gentry (e.g., Edwards), is certainly a plus to any of the three.

bnelson44 on January 22, 2008 at 7:11 PM

Don’t believe it? Look at the results. Brownback. out

You forget whom Brownback is now supporting.

McCain.

Jockolantern on January 22, 2008 at 7:13 PM

I’ll just throw this out here for the sake of discussion.

Last year, before he got in the race, Fred Thompson was seen having dinner with Alex Castellanos who is Mitt’s Master strategerist. (Castellanos worked for Thompson on his two Senate Runs)

Has this always been about making Romney the first choice of Conservatives and making Fred Thompson the most beloved VP in recent GOP memory?

EJDolbow on January 22, 2008 at 7:14 PM

Brooks, Barnes, Kristol Want Us to Join the McCain-Lieberman Party

RobertInAustin on January 22, 2008 at 6:32 PM

All three of those RINO tools can get bent.

doubleplusundead on January 22, 2008 at 7:14 PM

Man, I’m tired of being right!

Jim-Rose on January 22, 2008 at 7:19 PM

I see the potential for Fred to reluctantly accept the invitation to be Romney’s VP. I think that Fred took too big a swip at and general dislikes Hucks positions. McCain and he may have been on friendly terms in the past but that is way strained because of McCains amnesty stance. Besides Fred was taking swipes at mCCain and Guliani there at the end. Should he accept an offer from McCain people on both sides will feel SOOOOO betrayed they will sit out. If Romney offers and it is presented as a “I couldn’t get enough traction on my own but I am willing to serve to help Mitt stay true to his new found conservatism…” it might just fly. Then Fred could learn some better organizational skills on-the job in case something (God Forbid) tragic happened to Mitt, and be ready to assume the presidency. It would strengthen Mitt if it was done in humbleness otherwise Freds supporters up to now might think him a bit of an arrogant gent. I would feel 100 times better voting for Mitt if I knew Thompson was the attach dog towards the Dems and the Watch dog on Mitt!

RedLizard64 on January 22, 2008 at 7:19 PM

All three of those RINO tools can get bent.

doubleplusundead on January 22, 2008 at 7:14 PM

The RINOs are those now advocating running away from the Republican pary. These three are not doing that, but a lot of people here and on the blogs are.

bnelson44 on January 22, 2008 at 7:20 PM

B.S.

This story is no better than gossip: an unnamed source and a reporter.

Peacerose on January 22, 2008 at 7:20 PM

Maybe all is not lost yet !

Is this scenario possible?
No candidate nails down enough primary votes to get the nomination and it goes to the convention to select a nominee. Fred!! is nominated from the floor and, after several roll call votes, (like in the good old days) walks away with the nomination. VOILA! our man is in.

Whadayathink?

OBX Pete on January 22, 2008 at 7:21 PM

Whadayathink?

OBX Pete on January 22, 2008 at 7:21 PM

Ain’t gonna happen. This will be mostly over by Feb 6th.

bnelson44 on January 22, 2008 at 7:23 PM

I’ll just throw this out here for the sake of discussion.

EJDolbow on January 22, 2008 at 7:14 PM

Good memory! Lamar Alexander is a part of that whole connection as well. Looks like Mitt/Fred it is!

Igor R. on January 22, 2008 at 7:25 PM

I don’t quite believe it, but Cameron mentioned something about this yesterday too on FNC. Can it be? Can the whole Fredhead phenomenon be nothing but a lark spun off from a stunt aimed at raising Fred’s profile to the point where he’d be viable as John McCain’s number two? – AP

Not satisfied with having harpooned the Great White Fred, Ahab-pundit now intends to render him down. Let it go, Allah. Time to move on to an other obsession.

Hey! Did you know that Mitt Romney’s first name is…*giggle* ‘Willard?’ Better than that…did you know he’s a…(gasp, horrors!) Mormon?

Let the hunt begin!

NemoParticularis on January 22, 2008 at 7:26 PM

Well, that wouldn’t really surprise me if it were true…but I’m not quite sure I believe what Carl is selling. Won’t take too long to see I suppose.

Spirit of 1776 on January 22, 2008 at 7:27 PM

leanright on January 22, 2008 at 6:59 PM

Fred has worked hard in a couple of spurts but his organization is the opposite or Mitt’s.

I think we’re looking at Chicken little syndrome, the market is mainly responding to naysayers which can create an ugly scene nonetheless but shouldn’t take a dive.

Speakup on January 22, 2008 at 7:29 PM

Romney is an unelectable candidate. Th only way he would fly bis if he had Huckabee on the ticket…but considering they hate each other….unelectable he stays.

HaraldHardrada on January 22, 2008 at 7:30 PM

Romney is an unelectable candidate. The only way he would fly is if he had Huckabee on the ticket…but considering they hate each other….unelectable he stays.

Fixed

HaraldHardrada on January 22, 2008 at 7:30 PM

I would NEVER vote for McCain! No matter who his VP is!

ConservativePartyNow on January 22, 2008 at 6:39 PM

I don’t see any real compelling reason for McCain to take on Fred. That seems like ‘The two old guys ticket’; I don’t see how that could be a winner. Seems he’d be much better off w/ a young governor. A Mitt/Fred ticket makes more sense because Fred secures Mitt’s conservative cred.

Spirit of 1776 on January 22, 2008 at 7:31 PM

Speakup on January 22, 2008 at 7:29 PM

Well it’s a little more than just naysayers, the MLK day and the whole world without the American direction didn’t help. I mean who you gonna call when there is this big bad mortgage crisis festering and no trading in the good ol’ USA? And then Uncle Ben rescues the situation, what a hero! The money honey is now impressed for sure.

But…think long term!