NFL Conference Championships open thread Update: One more to go Update: Giants shock the Pack

posted at 2:22 pm on January 20, 2008 by Bryan

AFC at 3, NFC after that. Frozen tundras in both games, which might give the Patriots a slight edge as if they needed it. We all know about the downfall of my team, so I’m not sure who to cheer for now. But I know which team I’d like to see get beaten by about four touchdowns, plus the thought of a Giants-Chargers Super Bowl puts me right to sleep. So today, and this day only, consider me a Cheesehead.

And consider the Patriots unshaven. Hey, it’s cold out there.

Update: 18-0.

Update: Giants go from wild card all the way to the big dance.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

LIFE LONG GIANTS FAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Son of Sam Kinison on January 20, 2008 at 11:25 PM

Maybe Brett, ‘the sharecropper’ (sure looks & dresses like one, he’s from the Mississippi delta) who won’t ‘help the younger QBs on his team because it’s not in my contract’ (his words) Farve (original spelling) will finally quit.

countywolf on January 20, 2008 at 11:39 PM

Eli can win the big game! Romo can’t win the big game!

lorien1973 on January 20, 2008 at 11:41 PM

Guess that tundra thing didn’t quite work out the way we wanted. The game pretty much bit the big one, but who’da thunk the Pack would be playing this game. We’re young so the Pack will be back again.
Super Bowl 42 Pats – 48
NYG – 7

oakpack on January 20, 2008 at 11:41 PM

oakpack on January 20, 2008 at 11:41 PM

I thought you signed off (AKA took your ball and went home).

I doubt the score will get into the 40′s and think it will be closer then what you/the point spread expects.

I say 31-24 Pats

F15Mech on January 20, 2008 at 11:59 PM

If the Pats can’t be beaten when Brady has one of his worse games ever then you can’t beat them period.

thegreatbeast on January 20, 2008 at 7:03 PM

I’m not sure I’d make such a declarative statement, but you’re point is well taken.

Very few teams give up three turnovers and still win.
Brady earned his MVP Award this year.
I’m sure the guys from Canton are already preparing Brady’s niche.

The Manning Family well might end up with its own wing.

Uh-oh…did I just reveal my bias?

(I’m connected to both Oxford, and New Orleans.
nobody knows da trubble I seen.)

And I know a coupla Jersey boys who believe all is well in the world right now.

I’ll be pulling for NY, but I respect the hell
outta what NE has accomplished this year decade.

And if the Pats make history, I’ll e-mail my Boston friends and tell ‘em I’m happy for ‘em.

Again. (sigh)

soundingboard on January 21, 2008 at 12:06 AM

F15Mech on January 20, 2008 at 11:59 PM

No, I didn’t sign off. I just didn’t have my handy dandy player baseball card with the records on the back. I could have thrown back the MVPs, TDs, yards and yes, the INTs, but there is more to the game than that. There’s really no reason to get into a ya, oh ya, ya, oh ya fight.
As for the SB, I don’t think you will see the Pats back off. They will run the score up. Not letting up is what they have been about this year.

oakpack on January 21, 2008 at 12:09 AM

I read this…

I’m a cheesehead. Props to the Giants, go beat the Patroits.

jpsc1 on January 20, 2008 at 10:19 PM

…and think. Sportsmanship. That’s refreshing.

He understands…Don’t hate the playah.
Love the Game!

Then I read this…

As a die-hard Packers fans, I would be upset… if the Packers had actually shown up to play.

But they didn’t. It ended up being a game of who sucked less; the Giants didn’t even play remarkably well, with missed scoring opportunities left and right. If I were Brady and Belicik watching that game, I’d be laughing with glee right now. Had that been either of those teams against the Patriots, New England would have completely dominated.

They’ll still dominate… they just have to wait for two weeks to do so.

Jockolantern on January 20, 2008 at 11:24 PM

…and think.

This person sounds like he’s mad at his team for losing.
In addition to being mad at the team who beat them.
(Pardon the poor attempt at mind reading. And I readily admit I may be projecting my own Saints induced subconcious neuroses.)

And since I live in the real world, I’ll say this.
Odds are your assessment will be proven correct.
But there’s a reason they play the game on the field.
Not on the stat sheet.

Referring back to the first quoted post;

soundingboard on January 21, 2008 at 12:57 AM

The “frozen tundry” myth can now be put snugly to bed. Its NO real advantage for the Packers!

Cold weather simply isn’t an advantage to any team. P.e.r.i.o.d.

Its a myth based on a game played 40 years ago perpetuated by Packer fans living way in the past.

gradyman on January 21, 2008 at 12:59 AM

No, I didn’t sign off.

oakpack on January 21, 2008 at 12:09 AM

Really I thought you said you were going to?

They will run the score up…

oakpack on January 21, 2008 at 12:09 AM

Please that “BS” started after the Redskins game, when the Redskin players “were upset” about how their feelings were hurt because they got their “butt” handed to them.

(BTW check to see what team holds the record for the highest scoring NFL game). The number 72 will help your research.

Did I mention that I now live in the heart of Redskin country?

I was at the Pats/Ravens game I certainly did not see the Pats run up the score during that game.

F15Mech on January 21, 2008 at 1:09 AM

Another All Northeast Championship game (sigh), the media loves it, but the rest of the country could care less. 19-0 will be an accomplishment though.

p40tiger on January 21, 2008 at 1:15 AM

Undefeated in NFC Championship games!

Something that another team in the NFC East can’t lay claim to.

Sorry, Bryan.

I just had to rub that in.

Gerard on January 21, 2008 at 1:16 AM

This person sounds like he’s mad at his team for losing.
In addition to being mad at the team who beat them.

Sure, I’m upset that they lost; I love my Packers! And I wanted to see them win! I don’t think it’s wrong or unsportsmanlike to be mad at a team you love for not playing to their potential; nor is it unreasonable to be mad at a team you don’t like for beating the team you love. So long as you don’t let that irritation get out of hand, at least, and I certainly don’t. What I’m more angry about is that they [the Packers] didn’t even show up to play for their loving and devoted fans at home. Favre made passing decisions reminiscent of his most mediocre to awful seasons; he was far from the improved and jazzed-up Favre I had seen all this season long.

I’m just frusturated, is all. Now I don’t even have one team I feel like rooting for in the Super Bowl. And besides, we all know that the Patriots are too well oiled a machine to take the Super Bowl lying down. They’re gonna’ kill a gnat with a sledgehammer these next two weeks and come in to that game fully prepared to take control from second one. I just hope the commercials are a few steps up from the previous years. ;)

Jockolantern on January 21, 2008 at 1:16 AM

lsutiger on January 20, 2008 at 10:35 PM

Geaux Tigers!

soundingboard on January 21, 2008 at 1:29 AM

lsutiger on January 20, 2008 at 10:35 PM

Don’t know ’bout your posts.

I thought the filter may have caught the alternate spelling, but as you can see, I was able to pass geaux.

soundingboard on January 21, 2008 at 1:32 AM

Cold weather simply isn’t an advantage to any team. P.e.r.i.o.d.

gradyman on January 21, 2008 at 12:59 AM

I disagree. It is an advantage if you are playing a team from the South. However, they were playing a New York team, a Northerly team. Thus, the advantage was nullified. If they had been playing my Saints or any other Southernly team that hadn’t seen snow in twenty years, then it would have been a great advantage.

Theophile on January 21, 2008 at 1:35 AM

Jockolantern on January 21, 2008 at 1:16 AM

I hear ya. Glad you didn’t take offense.

I well understand frustraion.

And yes, I admit to calling Sean Payton an idiot for the fouled up reverse that cost us the Bucs game.

Too reckless!

Of course, twenty years ago I was calling Carl Smith an idiot for his “up the middle everytime/too conservative” style.

I’ll be pulling for Eli and the Giants.
But I ain’t puttin’ no money on ‘em.
;>

soundingboard on January 21, 2008 at 1:41 AM

I knew Green Bay was in trouble when Packers fans cited the weather as the chief weapon in their team’s defensive arsenal.

I was waiting for one of them to tell me how Poseidon was going to send cascades of waves over the helmet of Eli Manning when he dropped back for a pass.

Gerard on January 21, 2008 at 1:43 AM

Again
Anyway, don’t wanna start a fight, but I believe that type of mind-set detracts from the overall experience.In theory I would always pull for the team that beat my team to “win it all”( there is some consolation in being able to say ” we were beat by the best), but, as I mentioned who my team is, it’s gets not effective in practice, since technically I would hav e to pull for every team in The League.

soundingboard
GeeeEEEEEeeezzzze. Maybe we shouldn’t keep score. That way everyone could win.
Sorry F15 mech. Maybe “run up the score” was a bad choice of words. What I should have said is that they play all of the 60 minutes. Few teams do that which is why they have the scoring records.

oakpack on January 21, 2008 at 1:43 AM

Theophile on January 21, 2008 at 1:35 AM

“Your Saints”? You a yat? Citizen of The Who Dat Nation?

Hate to have to disagree with family, but Jacksonville kinda put the kibosh on the “southern teams can’t win in cold/snow theory”, with their recent thumping of the Steelers.

Aside; Do you think Deuce will be on the roster for the ’08 season?

Second aside; Donte’ Stallworth is the happiest player in the NFL this year.

soundingboard on January 21, 2008 at 1:52 AM

oakpack on January 21, 2008 at 1:43 AM

I’m not sure how/why you reached your conclusion.

You think I shouldn’t be happy when friends are happy?

The rest was purely tongue in cheek. Kinda like this;
Hmmm…not keep score. You think a Saints fan is gonna argue against that?

Lighten up Francis.

Not letting up is what they have been about this year.

oakpack on January 21, 2008 at 12:09 AM

You’re right about that.
They’re (Pats) definitely a team on a mission.

soundingboard on January 21, 2008 at 2:08 AM

I don’t hold any particular animus towards Favre, but I agree that this,

And it will be, however the national media has always fawned over Favre and they had all the stories already written. Two weeks of that would have been really tough to stomach.

Would have been absolutely nauseating.

Gerard on January 21, 2008 at 2:38 AM

…Maybe “run up the score” was a bad choice of words….

oakpack on January 21, 2008 at 1:43 AM

Oh gee you think?

That is one of many claims that Pats haters love to throw down (and frankly I am sick of it).

and somehow circumstances outside of your control turned into a “bad choice of words”?

Sorry I am not picking up what you are putting down.

F15Mech on January 21, 2008 at 2:42 AM

We welcome you East Coast types to beautiful Phoenix (where it was 65 today). I don’t see how anyone watches, let alone plays, football in -4 degree temperatures.

Our doors are open to you all, enjoy our first Super Bowl!

bnelson44 on January 21, 2008 at 2:50 AM

The Giants did a good job hanging in there and outlasting the Packers. Favre didn’t look very comfortable. He appeared more bothered by the cold than the other players. I think Al Harris should have played better and woofed less. Burris had him for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

I will root for history in two weeks. Just can’t bring myself to back the Giants and Junior (I don’t wanna play in San Diego) Manning. Li’l Eli does get credit for having perfected his Danny Ainge look. Another game of “the whiney face” when ever something doesn’t go well for him. Go Pats!

Mallard T. Drake on January 21, 2008 at 2:53 AM

Sorry I am not picking up what you are putting down.

F15Mech on January 21, 2008 at 2:42 AM

sheeece! A little paranoid there? Ya think? I mean, ya don’t have any sharp objects around do ya? Or live near a tower?

oakpack on January 21, 2008 at 2:56 AM

Our doors are open to you all, enjoy our first Super Bowl!

bnelson44 on January 21, 2008 at 2:50 AM

As an East Coast type I got to admit I prefer places like Payson AZ.

Talk about beautiful country.

F15Mech on January 21, 2008 at 2:58 AM

oakpack on January 21, 2008 at 2:56 AM

Sweet now the insults start flying.

Just for the record…

I DO have some sharp objects in my kitchen that I use to cut/eat food.

I don’t live near a tower.

You need to work on your questions however…

You forgot to ask if I have any really scary things.

F15Mech on January 21, 2008 at 3:15 AM

Harris is a scrub.

Pro Bowl my foot!

Embarrassing that jackass was one of the highlights of the game, IMO.

Gerard on January 21, 2008 at 3:16 AM

Gerard on January 21, 2008 at 3:16 AM

What’s wrong with Harris?

oakpack on January 21, 2008 at 3:18 AM

Frankly I am not concerned about all of the sharp objects around me.

F15Mech on January 21, 2008 at 3:24 AM

Aside from the fact that he’s a slimeball who got humiliated throughout the entirety of this game, despite his flagrant cheating?

There were times during this game when I wished that Plaxico or A. Toomer had taken him by the dreds and thrown him to the ground.

When will these scrubs-see Patrick Crayton-learn that they don’t have the skills to talk smack before and during the game?

Gerard on January 21, 2008 at 3:26 AM

I wonder if Peyton is going to make it to the Big Game. I’m sure Eli can get him a ticket.

It would be a lot of fun to put that look on two Manning faces at once.

Pablo on January 21, 2008 at 4:25 AM

Sorry but the Packers record indicates its a 40 year old myth.

The Packers are only 6-5 all time at Lambeau when the temp is below 11 degrees.

A 500 team in cold weather = frozen tundra 40 year old myth.

gradyman on January 21, 2008 at 4:28 AM

A myth perhaps, but one that makes for some great stock footage on NFL Films.

Gerard on January 21, 2008 at 4:56 AM

ESPN is on the cutting edge of analysis, as usual.

We’ve got predictions!

Gerard on January 21, 2008 at 5:25 AM

If this was soccer or b-ball, the fans would have burned the stadium down and murdered people. Classy, classy Cheeseheads! America is great, in those rare instances nowadays when we get to see her.

NY’er here btw.

JiangxiDad on January 21, 2008 at 7:55 AM

Fredheads – 0 Cheeseheads – 0 / New York AHoles – 2 [hillary and giant fans]

Griz on January 21, 2008 at 8:04 AM

19-0 here we come.

And yes, I do hope they run up the score.

But it’s not likely to happen. The G-men have an excellent defense. And they proved a lot to the world with their performance in game 16.

darkpixel on January 21, 2008 at 8:27 AM

G MEN!!!! YES!!!!

Thank NYG! Now I don’t have to hear about bloddy great Brett Favre is for another two weeks. It is a man love fest with these announcers. Those picks are vintage Favre wing and prayer throws.

VikingGoneWild on January 21, 2008 at 9:04 AM

To all the people who say the Patriots are going to crush the Giants, I say remember that the Giants played them very tough in the final game of the season, when they had nothing to gain and everything to lose. That loss was a springboard for the Giants, who emerged with their confidence bolstered, and they have gotten better with every game. Sure the Patriots won that game, but they did not dominate it. That game could have gone either way.

I say the same thing about the Super Bowl. The Super Bowl could go either way, and the Patriots are going to be playing under the crushing burden of maintaining the “perfect” season (if you don’t count the cheating). Meanwhile, the Giants are going to come in with nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I am not predicting a Giants win, but I am not predicting a Patriots win, either. I think the hazard for the Patriots will be that they will be looking beyond the game to the post-game celebration, while the Giants are going to have their eye on the ball.

No bad teams make it to the Superbowl. That is why they play the games.

gridlock2 on January 21, 2008 at 9:08 AM

The sports darlings adore Favre because he’s absolutely worthy of attetion. He’s had a phenomenal career thus far, but think about it… they only have another couple seasons to sing his praises (the guy shattered how many more records this season?) before he’s out of the game and doing booth commentary. Silence, all ye haters of Brett Favre media love. They’re not the only ones who so greatly respect him.

Jockolantern on January 21, 2008 at 9:29 AM

NYG FTW woohohoohhohoooohoooooo!

Levinite on January 21, 2008 at 9:56 AM

NY’er here btw.

JiangxiDad on January 21, 2008 at 7:55 AM

Don’t give the Cheeseheads too much credit. It was too cold to get the match lit. ;-)

Mallard T. Drake on January 21, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Packers, Packer fans and the Lambeau Field faithful are the heart and soul of the NFL. Other fans in other cities show up to see millionaires get richer-like Yankee fans in MLB. But in Green Bay they love to love their team. The Faithful had a great season to enjoy; win or lose, there’s always next year.

Doug on January 21, 2008 at 11:35 AM

It would be a lot of fun to put that look on two Manning faces at once.

Pablo on January 21, 2008 at 4:25 AM

I really don’t understand the animus some here display for the Mannings. ANY of ‘em.

Joe Montana regularly beat the crap outta my Saints.
But I don’t hate him for it.
Still think he was one of the best to ever play.

Kinda reminds me of politics these days. Seems people are motivated more by hatred of the opposition than support of one’s own candidate.

Uhhh…on second thought, maybe this year is the wrong time to offer that particular assessment.

soundingboard on January 21, 2008 at 11:39 AM

countywolf on January 20, 2008 at 11:39 PM

He’s from the Mississippi gulf coast which isn’t the same. I’m sure he’ll think about it again. He’s had a great season and the Pack really surprised a lot of people this year.

I’ll probably have to pull for NY and Eli. I can’t stand anything that from Boston. It’s good to have a Louisiana quarter back in the super bowl. This is two in a row. Former LSU player Corey Webster did a great job last night as well.

roux on January 21, 2008 at 1:00 PM

GO JINTS!!!!!

Edzackery on January 21, 2008 at 1:26 PM

GEAUX, TIGERS!

:-)

Gerard on January 21, 2008 at 2:55 PM

soundingboard on January 21, 2008 at 11:39 AM

I can recall the days when Archie played at Ole Miss. No problem there. Payton decided to stay for his senior year at Tennesee to try and win a championship. He has been a very good if not quirky QB (re: he never received a play he liked). No problem there.

Junior Manning is another story. His refusal to play for the Chargers when he was their no. 1 pick displays an ego and immaturity that Archie and Payton should be embarrassed by. Li’l Eli seemed to be trading on the family name to be able to stamp his feet and say no until he got his way. Watching his “whiney face” every time something goes wrong on the field displays a lack of maturity. I don’t recall ever seeing him do one of those “my fault” gestures when the pass is behind the receiver. Until a few weeks ago, he didn’t display much talent beond a mid-level QB in the league. Maybe he as turned a corner and his career is about to take off. But, I still don’t like him.

Mallard T. Drake on January 21, 2008 at 3:25 PM

Joe Montana regularly beat the crap outta my Saints.
But I don’t hate him for it.

Oh, I don’t hate him. I just like when the Pats put that look on his face. He’s a great QB, and a better actor than Brady. I respect him, but I like beating him.

Pablo on January 21, 2008 at 5:17 PM

When was the last time Shockey, or any TE or receiver, made a gesture indicating he made a mistake on the field?

If you foul up you just move on.

It’s that simple.

Why would you blame Eli Manning for wanting to come to The Giants?

Why would you castigate someone who willingly put himself in the harsh glare of the 24/7 media spotlight, and has subjected himself to critiques that would never be leveled against any other QB in the NFL?

Gerard on January 21, 2008 at 5:26 PM

Mallard T. Drake on January 21, 2008 at 3:25 PM

I remember Archie at Ole Miss also. Got to meet him when he was there.(my cousin was an equipment manager) I was about ten years old at the time. He was my idol. He even remembered my name when I saw him again months later.

And it took Eli to bring Ole Miss back to a semblance of its former self. As a long suffering Rebel fan, that gave him serious cred in my book. (BIAS ALERT!)

About the San Diego thing, yeah, maybe Eli should have sucked it up and done his “duty”, but looking at the program at the time…can ya blame him? J/K

In hindsight, maybe he would have fit into the Charger system. But I think all parties are happy at the way things turned out.
Just outta curiousity, do you think SD would have had a better chance against the Pats had Eli been the QB?

And you’re also correct about the ‘whiney face”, I’m embarrassed myself sometimes.

OTOH…he did have more dropped passes than any other QB in the league this year.

But as I said in my earlier comment, I think it’s a waste of time to “hate” a particular player. (unless that player’s initials are T.O. Again…J/K)

Now, having said all that, I’ll still admit that Eli isn’t in the same class with Brady. Yet.

I hope he matures into the QB he’s been touted as all along.
Time will tell.

soundingboard on January 21, 2008 at 5:51 PM

Pablo on January 21, 2008 at 5:17 PM

OK…I can relate to that.
And come to think of it, I’d prob’ly like to see that same look on Brady’s face two weeks from now.
But it won’t be personal.

soundingboard on January 21, 2008 at 5:57 PM

I’m glad that Strahan and Toomer will have another shot at the brass ring.

The way I look at it is that whatever happens to The Giants two weeks from now it has to be more gratifying than getting destroyed by a team skippered by Trent Dilfer, who makes Rex Grossman look like the second coming of Johnny Unitas.

Gerard on January 21, 2008 at 6:10 PM

Perhaps the reason that Eli didn’t want to go to San Diego has something to do with the experience Archie had being stuck with the hapless Saints. Archie was probably one of the best QB’s in his era but never got a chance at the playoffs.

roux on January 21, 2008 at 6:38 PM

GO BIG BLUE !!

Buttercup on January 21, 2008 at 10:51 PM

For all the critics of the San Diego deal, just ponder where this team would be without Plaxico Burress, because The Giants would not have him if Ernie Acorsi hadn’t made the fateful decision to make room for Eli Manning by trading away a few draft picks.

Gerard on January 21, 2008 at 11:39 PM

Eh they are saying Brady has been seen with a cast on his foot.

johnnyU on January 22, 2008 at 12:48 AM