Video: Mitt gets testy with AP reporter over lobbyist accusations

posted at 3:55 pm on January 17, 2008 by Allahpundit

As testy as Mitt’s capable of getting, that is. The real confrontation comes towards the end, when one of his spokesmen and then a passerby get up in the reporter’s face. The charge is that Romney, the self-styled candidate of vacuous “change”, is letting his campaign be run by a guy who not only served as political director in the George H.W. Bush administration but is known to some as a “mega-lobbyist”, whose firm raised more than $21 million in fees in 2006 alone. True? Strictly speaking, no. Ron Kaufman appears to have no formal role with the campaign, although he’s mentioned in this Fox News story as a member of Mitt’s “inner circle” and is frequently described as a “senior advisor” in other news reports. So, to the 1% or less of Republicans who deem this an unpardonable, disqualifying sin, there you go.

Ed Rollins, Huck’s campaign manager, attacked Kaufman last month on Hardball for being an atheist so you can imagine where my sympathies lie. Click the image to watch.

mitt-kaufman.jpg

Update (Bryan): My two cents while I’m working on tomorrow’s Jihad Watch. No candidate will lose points with voters by taking on a reporter, and double that on the GOP side. Remember George H. W. Bush’s famous fisticuffs with Dan Rather in 1988, which was seen at the time as the end of his wimp problem. Fight with an annoying reporter, go up in the polls. Add that the reporter in this case has a history of bias and you have the makings of a win for Romney. That the reporter acts like an unprofessional clod by lounging on the floor during the grilling is just a bonus.

And in this case, as Allah outlines above, Mitt is right on the facts.

Comments

I don’t know for certain, but I guarantee he would have used the word “jerk” and the phrase “my friend”.

Buy Danish on January 17, 2008 at 8:33 PM

What, no F-bomb?

EJDolbow on January 17, 2008 at 8:44 PM

Why is this guy covering Romney in the first place? And for AP? Romney should have taken about three steps closer to Johnson.
Hey Johnson, put down a doublecheeseburger or two so you have the energy to at least stand up. You might also have the energy to look up a fact or two. I suggest you go back to the Clinton campaign where you don’t have to bother with such things.

oakpack on January 17, 2008 at 8:46 PM

That AP “reporter” looks like the type of guy who spent his prom night eating bacon and fighting imaginary orcs.

Pasalubong on January 17, 2008 at 9:36 PM

Now compare Romney to radical liberal Gavin Newsome:

Dr B on January 17, 2008 at 9:49 PM

He was really grasping at straws there, and he was being a d*** while doing so.

MadisonConservative on January 17, 2008 at 3:59 PM

and

That Glenn, what an a**hole.

CABE on January 17, 2008 at 4:02 PM

Yes, indeed he is. But could we find a better way to express it? I don’t mean to be snarky, but seriously… Let’s not let the best blog have the worst comments.

Pasalubong on January 17, 2008 at 9:36 PM

That’s more like it. Ha!

Tzetzes on January 17, 2008 at 10:18 PM

The best line was:
“Now Glenn, I appreciate it that you think that’s funny.”

Comedy gold comeback.

Mcguyver on January 17, 2008 at 11:07 PM

Oh, I don’t know. Those comments seemed right on the mark. Fat, lazy, stupid leftist AP/DNC campaign operatives hanging around the Romney press conference strikes me as … business as usual.

Jaibones on January 17, 2008 at 11:09 PM

Maybe it’s just me…..but if you add a baseball cap and another 100lbs to that reporter you’d have Michael Moore.

AZ_Mike on January 18, 2008 at 11:16 AM

So he doesn’t have lobbyists “tied to [his] campaign,” but he has lobbyists who advise him and follow him around the country. I guess he can take a really strict interpretation of “tied to” to and skate. If Glenn had just shut his pie hole and let Romney continue, he might have actually gotten a juicy scoop. Swing and a miss.

Mark Jaquith on January 19, 2008 at 1:11 AM