O’Malley flips — no special drivers licenses for illegal aliens in Maryland

posted at 4:05 pm on January 16, 2008 by Bryan

The suits in the DNC must have gotten to Marlyand Governor Martin O’Malley. Not two days ago he was proposing a two-tiered drivers license system for the state, a secure license for citizens and legal residents and a non-secure one for illegal aliens. The current system allows illegal aliens to obtain the same license as everyone else. That’s going to go away. But before we get to the details, savor the headline the Washington Post put on its story.

Immigrant Driver ID Rejected by O’Malley

That headline is a lie, of course, without “Illegal” to modify “Immigrant,” which really ought to be “Alien” since that’s the legal term at issue. Anyway.

Gov. Martin O’Malley rejected a proposal yesterday to issue separate driver’s licenses to undocumented immigrants and legal residents, saying that Maryland should comply with a federal security law by requiring immigrants to prove they are here legally before they can drive.

The proposal that the Post says O’Malley “rejected” was his own, presented by his own administration. So he’s not “rejecting” it so much as repudiating it. Or flipping.

The governor’s decision effectively reversed a long-standing policy that made Maryland one of only seven states that allow driving privileges for illegal immigrants. It came just days after his transportation secretary had briefed lawmakers on a proposed two-tier system that would have provided some latitude.

Instead, O’Malley (D) directed his top transportation officials to comply with the federal Real ID law by devising a secure, federally recognizable license that would be accepted as identification to board planes or enter government buildings.

“We should not allow Maryland to become an island virtually alone on the East Coast” by not requiring proof of legal residence for licenses, O’Malley said last night.

Maryland already is that, since it’s one of a handful of states that already allows illegals to obtain drivers licenses among other benefits. And it would have remained that, with the special two-tiered system.

I suspect that O’Malley’s march is an election-year ploy designed to take the heat off Democrats running up higher on the ticket. Watch to see if he flips again after November.

(h/t Newsbusters)

Comments

First Post (I hope)

Martin O’Money, we call him here.

Shirotayama on January 16, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Does someone get whiplash from such a sudden change of direction?

Frozen Tex on January 16, 2008 at 4:08 PM

They call him flipper, flipper
dumber than lighting
No one you see
is as flippant as he

They called him flipper, flipper
one only wonders
what kind of blunders
are brought on by he!

BKennedy on January 16, 2008 at 4:10 PM

Suspecting the Hildebeest told him to cool it, just like she told Elliot Spits Her.

Shirotayama on January 16, 2008 at 4:13 PM

Maybe he’s starting to realize that the democrats won’t win in novemember and he is going to be stuck with an anti amnesty President Huckabee who will deny federal $$ to sanctuary states like Md.!

HaraldHardrada on January 16, 2008 at 4:13 PM

november

HaraldHardrada on January 16, 2008 at 4:14 PM

Thanks for keeping up with this Bryan. Also, a great source for info on O’Malley is O’Malley Watch.

Ian on January 16, 2008 at 4:14 PM

They call him flipper, flipper…

Now throw him a red herring! heh!

mogilla on January 16, 2008 at 4:16 PM

HaraldHardrada on January 16, 2008 at 4:13 PM

Please…Please tell me you’re being sarcastic.

amerpundit on January 16, 2008 at 4:16 PM

HaraldHardrada on January 16, 2008 at 4:13 PM

Like Huckabee will even win. If gets the nomination, you might as well get put Clinton or Obama in office.

MyImamToldMeToDoIt on January 16, 2008 at 4:16 PM

Sound familiar? What a turkey for even trying it after Spitzer got burned!

I had hoped it would stir up Hitlary’s problem with Russert but this is better for Maryland.

libhater on January 16, 2008 at 4:19 PM

I wonder, will the new secure id also function as a voter card?

Canadian Imperialist Running Dog on January 16, 2008 at 4:19 PM

The Washington Parse seems more appropriate.

greasywrench on January 16, 2008 at 4:20 PM

O’Malley flips — no special drivers licenses for illegal aliens in Maryland

He’s going to let them have regular one instead. Don’t ask, don’t tell.

TheBigOldDog on January 16, 2008 at 4:23 PM

Yeah right. You really think a pro amnesty Hildebeast would defeat the anti amnesty candidate Mike Huckabee!

Besides have you looked at the Hildebeast and Hussein Obama’s plans for taxes?

In my my state I would pay about 61%-66% of my ordinary income and my capital gains rate will rise by 300%.

Then include property taxes and sales taxes and when I die I have to pay another 44%-60% of that same money that I have already been taxed on.

Not to mention their horrible plan to tax carried interest and destroy the economy by increasing the taxes on Private equity fund managers,hedge fund managers,private equity real estate fund managers by 300%-400%!

No Hillary will not beat Huckabee…not a chance.

Mccain she could beat.

HaraldHardrada on January 16, 2008 at 4:28 PM

This makes me ashamed to be a Marylander. Even the Wash Post said O’Malley would be a bad governer, in so many words.

Lance Murdock on January 16, 2008 at 4:28 PM

He’s going to let them have regular one instead. Don’t ask, don’t tell.

TheBigOldDog on January 16, 2008 at 4:23 PM

Actually, I was thinking the exact same thing.

Dave R. on January 16, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Harald,

I did NOT say I supported Hildebeest. I hate her.
Do NOT be confused on this point. Suggesting I support Hillary is an INSULT to this Reagan conservative. (Yes I VOTED for Reagan. TWICE.)
What I meant to fully say was that I think she told him to COOL it…ONLY for NOW…so she can more easily play the role of taking a “centrist” position during the general, but in reality she’s secretly planning to turn him loose (and Spizter too) IF she wins.

Shirotayama on January 16, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Republicans should put a bill forward to prove citizenship upon renewal.

Theworldisnotenough on January 16, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Shirotayama,

Actually I was replying to MyImamToldMeToDoIt.
I never doubted you were a sane conservative.

HaraldHardrada on January 16, 2008 at 4:42 PM

MO’M – bringing Takoma Park to your doorstep.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on January 16, 2008 at 4:43 PM

HaraldHardrada on January 16, 2008 at 4:13 PM

Cognitive dissonance, you has it.

doubleplusundead on January 16, 2008 at 4:45 PM

HH, for your internalization, unless you are a troll, in which case you’d love nothing better than a Huckabee as an opponent in Nov.

Borrowed from another thread

Liberal candidate checklist.

1. Support sanctuary cities √
2. Have a record of raising taxes. √
3. Deflate your opponents tires on election day √
4. Promise sweeping smoking ban nationwide √
5. Take back your promise of smoking ban due to political expediency √
6. Support in-state tuition for illegal aliens √
7. Oppose school vouchers √
8. Get that all important NEA endorsement √.
9. The pulpit to garner votes from evangelicals √

TheSitRep on January 16, 2008 at 8:40 AM

TSR, hope you don’t mind.

Also, I realized today that both checkpoints here in Southern Calif., one on the I-15/Fallbrook, the other on the I-5, just North of Oceanside, haven’t been open for checking in a looooooong time. Maybe illegal aliens and drugs are ok now.

Entelechy on January 16, 2008 at 4:47 PM

As long as he’s flipping in the right direction, I’m not going to criticize him for it. On the other hand, if he does flip back the other way, then Marylanders ought to fry his a$$.

AZCoyote on January 16, 2008 at 4:48 PM

I wonder if he’ll back off his big expensive stupid energy bill too?

doubleplusundead on January 16, 2008 at 4:48 PM

This just makes me sad when I realize that I live in the People’s Republic of Maryland.

dvldog1142 on January 16, 2008 at 4:49 PM

Entelechy on January 16, 2008 at 4:47 PM

You can blame our RINO Governator for that.

Don’t know where you live but I’m wondering if you know about the Governator’s plans to close down numerous CA. prisons and release tens of thousands of criminals(who couldn’t make bail BTW)into the streets of downtown L.A.

HaraldHardrada on January 16, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Yes, HH, we share the same Craponator, and I helped throw Gray Davis out. Just more proof that the RINO righties are no different than the lefties. Just realize that Huckabee is the same. He’s just got some hoodwinked.

Entelechy on January 16, 2008 at 4:57 PM

Shirotayama,

Actually I was replying to MyImamToldMeToDoIt.
I never doubted you were a sane conservative.

HaraldHardrada on January 16, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Harald, I offer my apologies. For some reason my wires got crossed and I thought you were addressing me. “My Bad”.

Shirotayama on January 16, 2008 at 5:04 PM

This reversal by the Dem. Governor rings as true as Huckster’s about-face, as far as heart and soul and true beliefs go.

O’Malley and Huck don’t BELIEVE their latest public protestations – it’s simple opportunism politics.

And as several observant folk have mentioned here -it’s a vast Hillary conspiracy strategy so as not to embarrass her in debates.

fred5678 on January 16, 2008 at 5:36 PM

Well, at least it’s good for the citizens of Maryland.

And it is good that the Governor has decided to obey the law, government always works a little better that way…

Zorro on January 16, 2008 at 6:06 PM

bryan – you ought to write about what he is doing to the State School Superintendent Nancy Grasmick. As Mayor the schools in Baltimore ranked one of the worst in the USA. Grasmick has led the State to a top ten ranking. SO what does this dope O’Malley want to do – get rid of her. He calls her a Republican puppet!

O’Malley is the worst! SO he will likely get a VP nod from the Dems! LMAO!

iam7545 on January 16, 2008 at 8:14 PM

I don’t understand, I am MD resident. They told my wife she need to have a SSN to get a drivers license and she had to prove she was here legally? Where can you get a license as an illegal in MD? That was a change between her first time taking test and her fourth time when she passed the test four months later, Heheh.

dako on January 16, 2008 at 8:20 PM

Where can you get a license as an illegal in MD?

I believe at any MVA in PG County. Also at the Security branch in Baltimore City.

Britcop on January 16, 2008 at 8:27 PM

I honestly don’t mind if they get a license that screams “ILLEGAL ALIEN” on it … one different from everyone else’s and one that says VOID FOR VOTER ID.

The illegals are going to drive anyway, license or no license. If they have a license they can get insurance which means they don’t run away from accidents.

crosspatch on January 16, 2008 at 9:18 PM

This makes me think of the suck up letter I got out of the blue from Congressman Dingell a couple days ago thanking me for writing him about illegal immigration

I know I sent a flaming fax about illegal aliens a while back.

Normally Dingell slams you down in his form letters.

The word must have gotten out to clean up your act before the Michigan primary. I don’t expect another thank you letter from him in my lifetime

They must have some serious poll numbers about illegals

entagor on January 17, 2008 at 2:23 AM

Britcop on January 16, 2008 at 8:27 PM

And don’t forget, any corner store around the foot of Braodway!

/sarc off

BTW, thanks Bryan for keeping this putz (I’m keeping it clean for the children)in the hot seat. He deserves all the light he can get. At thie rate MOM is going, he will only be a one-term gov but it will be too late for the masses.

JohnnyD on January 17, 2008 at 4:34 AM

I think you underestimate the liberalism of PG and Baltimore County. He will be back next term.

dako on January 17, 2008 at 5:19 AM

We have our own version of MOM here in Illinois, namely Rod “Blago” Blagojevich. The guy totally inhales with gusto as a governor, he is at odds with his own Democratically controlled State Legislature, he is under investigation for political corruption, he promised not to raise taxes and then did anyway, he also doubled the rate of tolls on the Illinois tollways, and people still re-elected this gumby for another term to botch up things in the state more than they are already. So to say O’Malley is a one-termer is kind of a stretch. I am sure there are people in Maryland who, despite the stupid thing he tried to pull here, still think he is the greatest thing since the invention of sliced bread.

pilamaye on January 17, 2008 at 9:55 AM