Video: Giuliani disses Packer fans

posted at 10:55 am on January 15, 2008 by Bryan

Can’t say I blame him. The Giants are probably going to get shredded by the Packers this weekend on the frozen tundra. Signing that Packer hat might have won him a handful of votes in Wisconsin but at the expense of losing New Yorkers forever. You could say that Rudy made a strategic calculation or that he refused to pander. Either way, it was the right call.
rudy-hat002.png

“I won’t sign that,” he said after campaign chairman Pat Oxford handed him the hat. “No, no, no. That would be bad luck right now.”

The Giants are set to play the Packers in the NFC Championship game on Sunday and Giuliani is a life-long fan of his hometown team.

“I’ll sign it after (the game),” Giuliani told the man as he instead signed another supporters’ Giants visor. But the Packers fan was relentless, again demanding Giuliani “sign it now!” Giuliani refused the request after which the man could be heard grunting.

Comments

He already lost us (New Yorkers) with his Red Sox comments a few months ago.

reppac122 on January 15, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Funny thing is that the New York Giants don’t even PLAY in New York. For that matter, neither do the Jets. Stopped worrying about Rudy’s relevance a long time ago.

cpodug on January 15, 2008 at 11:02 AM

My two favorite NFL teams in the NFC Championship game. Which one will get beaten by the Patriots in the SB? I’m going with the Pack on the frozen tundra – it’s Brett’s year. As a former New Yorker, I can sympathize with Giuliani’s decision, but as a politician, i think I would have signed it.

liberty on January 15, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Which is worse: A politician who takes sides in sports, or one that says, “I don’t watch football.”

I’d rather vote for a Patriots fan than someone who claims to root for both the Colts and Pats… or no team at all.

Ok… maybe not a Pats fan, but you get the point.

AbaddonsReign on January 15, 2008 at 11:04 AM

A calculated move to assure the Viking vote.

infidel on January 15, 2008 at 11:05 AM

Rudy was already pretty much out of mind.

Now he’s dead to me.

MadisonConservative on January 15, 2008 at 11:05 AM

MadisonConservative on January 15, 2008 at 11:05 AM

I don’t think he was worried about your vote. He was never getting it in the first place.

amerpundit on January 15, 2008 at 11:08 AM

ummm. . . ruDy is giving AUTOGRAPHS?! Is he a celebrity or a politician?

Politicians shake hands, celebrities give autographs. I guess this shows how few people are turning out to his events that he has time to sign autographs instead of just shake as many hands as he can.

ThackerAgency on January 15, 2008 at 11:10 AM

Screw that…..

I would sign no stinkin Packers hat if my fav team is playing for a bid to the big game…

Screw cheeseheads go Gmen.

BTW Fred is on Beck right now piling so slightly on McCain

JVelez on January 15, 2008 at 11:12 AM

As a Packers fan I am offended! However, I do think he could have compromised by signing it and then putting “go Giants” underneath. But my vote is already going to Fred, so it doesn’t matter.

Rose on January 15, 2008 at 11:16 AM

ummm. . . ruDy is giving AUTOGRAPHS?! Is he a celebrity or a politician?
ThackerAgency on January 15, 2008 at 11:10 AM

Every major presidential candidate signs autographs. Fred, Mitt, John,…

amerpundit on January 15, 2008 at 11:17 AM

Being a lifelong Minnesotan, this is one of the few things I can admire Rudy for.

Hollowpoint on January 15, 2008 at 11:21 AM

What’s the problem with signing it:

“Sorry the Giants had to beat you in the playoffs.”
Rudy G.

Problem solved :-)

HarryStar on January 15, 2008 at 11:23 AM

Every major presidential candidate signs autographs. Fred, Mitt, John,…

amerpundit on January 15, 2008 at 11:17 AM

Fair enough, but most major candidates have so many people there that they barely have enough time to shake everyone’s hand. I should just stop talking about ruDy. It makes ruDy supporters mad and he’s not going to win. I’m just going to enjoy it when he comes in 4th or 5th in Fl to see what the ruDy supporters say, who they blame his loss on, and if they still expect him to be the President at any time in their lifetime.

ThackerAgency on January 15, 2008 at 11:26 AM

ThackerAgency on January 15, 2008 at 11:26 AM

700 in Fort Meyers. 250 in Lakeland. 400 at Melbourne Airport.

amerpundit on January 15, 2008 at 11:36 AM

800 in Manatee County.

amerpundit on January 15, 2008 at 11:39 AM

He is showing he is a man of conviction and won’t be swayed by “special interests” who are trying to influence outcome of societal events……or something like that.

Mallard T. Drake on January 15, 2008 at 11:40 AM

Brett Favre is not pleased.

Keljeck on January 15, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Packers and Packer fans will get the last laugh when they win on Sunday.

katieanne on January 15, 2008 at 11:47 AM

A calculated move to assure the Viking vote.

He must be pandering to all those scandinavian-looking blue-eyed blonde white-skinned illegal aliens that have snuck into the U.S. from Canada.

Bigfoot on January 15, 2008 at 11:50 AM

Bigfoot on January 15, 2008 at 11:50 AM

NATIVIST RACIST!

/vaguely scandinavian-looking blue-eyed blonde white-skinned Minnesotan.

Hollowpoint on January 15, 2008 at 12:00 PM

That defeat Sunday really stung.

Fun stat of the day: Giants are 3-0 in NFC Championship Games, outscoring the opponents 73-13.

I detect a trend.

Word out of New England is the Pats are pulling for Green Bay.

They want no part of the Giants again.

JammieWearingFool on January 15, 2008 at 12:30 PM

They’re playing in Wisconsin, not Irkutsk.

As for Rudy I don’t know how well he’s going to do in Florida. As big as the Cubano vote is in that state I don’t know if it comprises a majority of Republican voters-there are a couple million of them there, IIRC.

Gerard on January 15, 2008 at 12:33 PM

JammieWearingFool on January 15, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Am I detecting a bit of trash talk? The only reason the Giants are 3-0 in NFC Championship Games is because they never ran into the Packers in the playoffs since 1970. The Pack is 4-1 against the Giants in the playoffs (all NFL Championship Games), and that is a 4-game winning streak.

steveegg on January 15, 2008 at 12:59 PM

Oh, and the Packers are 2-0 in NFC Championship games (I do believe that includes covering both games).

steveegg on January 15, 2008 at 1:04 PM

They’re playing in Wisconsin, not Irkutsk.

Gerard on January 15, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Lambeau Field is referred to as the “Frozen Tundra”. Good god, watch Sportscenter sometime.

MadisonConservative on January 15, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Rudy isn’t my candidate, but I do appreciate that he wouldn’t sign the hat-it’s much more refreshing than HClinton’s “I’ve always been a Yankee fan”. He won’t lose any Wisconsin votes for being a fan of his home team-Packer fans live and breathe such loyalty. I almost said breed, but I’m a believer in nurture, not nature.
Besides, Packer fans are so dumb, they’d probably protest McCain by mistake.

Doug on January 15, 2008 at 1:32 PM

The forcasted temperature for the Packer game is -2 to +4 degrees at kickoff..
For those in Rio Linda…………..it will be cold.
Welcome to the Frozen Tundra gentlemen………..

subbottomfeeder on January 15, 2008 at 1:40 PM

They interviewed a beer vendor from the Seattle/Packer game on the local news yesterday.
He sold 120 cases of beer in his section alone.
Welcome to Wisconsin gentlemen.

subbottomfeeder on January 15, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Lambeau Field is referred to as the “Frozen Tundra”.

That explains the colony of penguins I saw migrating across midfield as Favre dropped back to pass this past weekend

BTW, isn’t “frozen tundra” a bit of an redundancy?

Tundra=a place where the soil is frozen; treeless mountain tracts.

Gerard on January 15, 2008 at 1:47 PM

BTW, isn’t “frozen tundra” a bit of an redundancy?

Tundra=a place where the soil is frozen; treeless mountain tracts.

Gerard on January 15, 2008 at 1:47 PM

The frozen part refers to the air temperature in the winter, necessary to keep the soil frozen even in the all-too-brief summer.

steveegg on January 15, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Trash talk? Moi?

The guy who’s 7-1 ATS this year in the playoffs?

Those games in the 60s, I have no comment on since I wasn’t alive. Besides, what team gave the Packers Vince Lombardi?

Just make sure Aaron Rodgers knows the game plan.

JammieWearingFool on January 15, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Once again, no pressure on the Jints. We need some secondary back but I expect the team that stops the run and doesn’t turn the ball over wins.

Should be a great game, now that the cowgirls are gone.

Go Jints!

awake on January 15, 2008 at 2:36 PM

JammieWearingFool on January 15, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Where do I begin deconstructing that? You do know what they say; the pride goeth before the fall, and though you locked up a money-making playoffs (while I’ll need a sweep just to get back to .500; we won’t mention the regular season), it’s time to pay The Man back in spades.

steveegg on January 15, 2008 at 2:59 PM

Watch out, Osi!

Brett Favre’s magic anti-freeze shoulder pads make him immune to cold…and the pass-rush.

Gerard on January 15, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Ha. I like Rudy a lot.

I wish his nomination wouldnt tear the republican base to shreds

Drunk Report on January 15, 2008 at 5:37 PM

The football Gods don’t look kindly on this.
Now I’m not voting for him twice.

oakpack on January 15, 2008 at 5:37 PM

Oh come on people, no one asked if Rudy had a “silly hat rule”?

I gotta say, based on this utter dissing of the Packer fan, I say his campaign is toast. You just don’t adhere to ‘silly hat rules’ and ‘superstitions’ like this and expect to win Presidential campaigns.

/do I have to?

Michael in MI on January 15, 2008 at 5:38 PM

I grew up in the Lombardi era, in Wisconsin. I’m going to vote for Rudy, but I may never forgive him.

GO PACK GO!

capitalist piglet on January 15, 2008 at 5:45 PM

It is silly. Still, the Packers fan was being a bit of a jackass.

If he really wanted an autograph, why didn’t he just hand him one of the Rudy signs?

I don’t think either one will be a collector’s item in the future, to be perfectly honest.

Gerard on January 15, 2008 at 5:50 PM

That is funny. he is faithful to his sports teams , just not his wife.

TheSitRep on January 15, 2008 at 7:00 PM

It would have been cooler if he used it as TP and lit it on fire, but I’ll take it. Still not voting for him, but cool.

sincerely,